PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Pint
04-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Well twitter is buzzing that laba may fly out tomorrow, molinari said that Nelsen hinted at laba arriving very soon

@JohnMolinaro: Nelson confirms Urutti is NOT coming. Hinted that Labba signing is imminent. #TFC

@JohnMolinaro: Nelsen evasive about whether he's had formal talks with Davies. #TFC

Ultra & Proud
04-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Preferred Laba to Urruti anyway. Was disappointed when I heard the deals were panning out the other way (Laba deal dead, Urruti on the way). This is better. I hope it's for real and not another 'imminent' deal thing.

Richard
04-23-2013, 12:50 PM
I would rather have Laba, we needed a box to box midfielder first.

Yohan
04-23-2013, 12:53 PM
I would rather have Laba, we needed a box to box midfielder first.
is Laba a box to box mid? there is very little info on this guy.

and I don't expect this guy to make immediate impact, based upon how most Argies do in MLS. usually they need 6 months ish to figure out the league and then start doing good, if they pan out

Red I
04-23-2013, 12:59 PM
is Laba a box to box mid? there is very little info on this guy.

and I don't expect this guy to make immediate impact, based upon how most Argies do in MLS. usually they need 6 months ish to figure out the league and then start doing good, if they pan out

From what i saw on the Vimeo vids, he looks like a destroyer; he looks like he can distribute, but not a very creative guy, and looks like he doesn't get up the field a whole lot, doesn't really score goals - i don't think he really fits the mold of a box-to-box mid

Ultra & Proud
04-23-2013, 01:02 PM
From what i saw on the Vimeo vids, he looks like a destroyer; he looks like he can distribute, but not a very creative guy, and looks like he doesn't get up the field a whole lot, doesn't really score goals - i don't think he really fits the mold of a box-to-box mid
I have heard him described as being a younger, more athletic version of what Frings was at the latter stages of his career (great tackler, good with outlet passes, good vision and reading of the game). Also heard he was not creative and doesn't jump into forward roles. But if he provides a better midfield link up than what we have now then that'd be great.

moralis
04-23-2013, 01:05 PM
If Laba does sign with TFC he better be more disciplined on the field. He's gotten a lot of yellow cards. Yesterday, he was sent off after receiving two yellows.

notthesun
04-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Laba's initial date for joining the club was April 29th, by the way. Really hope it goes through.

moralis
04-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Want to see Laba and Silva together in the midfield. Good combination (defense in Laba offense in Silva). Plus, they both speak Spanish which, obviously helps.

Ultra & Proud
04-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Want to see Laba and Silva together in the midfield.

With Ephraim and Bostock wide I would say. I have almost seen enough of Lambe starting.

notthesun
04-23-2013, 01:11 PM
@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/326759261034127361): "Expect TFC to announce Laba signing in the next day or two."

KGH
04-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Want to see Laba and Silva together in the midfield. Good combination (defense in Laba offense in Silva). Plus, they both speak Spanish which, obviously helps.

So something like a 4-1-3-2 (When everyone is healthy):

------------Bendik--------------
Ecks---Califf---O'Dea---Morgan
-------------Laba--------------
---Lambe---Silva-----Ephraim--
----Earnshaw----Danny K-------

Ultra & Proud
04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Or in the meantime:

Ecks---Boss---O'Dea---Morgan
---Bostock---Silva-----Ephraim--
----Earnshaw----Braun-------

ManUtd4ever
04-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Good news. With Laba playing as a holding mid, we can move to a diamond formation in a 4-4-2 with Silva playing in the hole.

Pint
04-23-2013, 01:31 PM
---Lambe---Silva-----Ephraim--
----Earnshaw----Bostock-------

Would be my current lineup

T-boy
04-23-2013, 01:31 PM
With Ephraim and Bostock wide I would say. I have almost seen enough of Lambe starting.

Lambe played very well on Saturday, I would say one of TFC's best players. He's done better than Bostock so far, I would say.

Ajax TFC
04-23-2013, 01:33 PM
This is great news. I was always far more interested in Laba than Urruti. We desperately need a DM who can cover lots of ground and distribute the ball to the nearby open man (although Hall did this EXTREMELY well on Saturday). As for striker, we have absolutely no need for one right now, so it would only make sense as a deal for the future. We have Earnshaw, Koevermans coming back next month, and almost every other depth player on the team is a striker.

gdg_9
04-23-2013, 01:33 PM
If Laba can come in and actually prove to be that "Destroyer" holding mid, that fills a huge hole in our lineup.

Next on the list (in my mind anyway) is better wing depth.

Our service in from crosses has been nowhere near good enough this season.

Ephraim hasn't impressed me so far, Lambe isn't good enough to be an everyday starter, and Bostock seems better suited to play more centrally as an AM (platoon with Silva maybe).

moralis
04-23-2013, 01:38 PM
If Davies does sign TFC's forward line will be Earnshaw 32, Kovermans 34 and Davies 36. Experienced, but pretty old and likely prone to injury or in Kovermans case recurring injury.

mowe
04-23-2013, 01:45 PM
I doubt Nelson would immediately replace Hall with Laba, especially since the former has been improving every game. I think a 4-4-1-1 is more likely with Hall and Laba in the centre and Silva in front of them.

The good thing about this signing is that Laba is already match fit and should be able to handle big minutes right away. Wishful thinking, but it'd be great if he was available this Saturday!

jloome
04-23-2013, 01:50 PM
If Davies does sign TFC's forward line will be Earnshaw 32, Kovermans 34 and Davies 36. Experienced, but pretty old and likely prone to injury or in Kovermans case recurring injury.

Well, when you pick the oldest three guys ... you're going to wind up with a list of the oldest three guys.

Earnshaw's a solid starter at 32, which isn't particularly old by modern standards. We have at least three more strikers under 30 and Jordan Hamilton coming up as well, so there's a sort of logic to it, younger guys learn from older etc.

If they score, I could care less if they're 38.

If we had Earnshaw and Davies up top, with Koevermans and Davies playing alternating roles to keep them healthy, that would be a troublesome pairing in every game against any defence in this league.

In fact, you can sort of see where this is all heading now, which is a pretty immediately competitive team, but with key parts that will go soon, allowing them to bring down the overall age of the squad slowly at the same time as breeding a competitive tradition.

It's predicated on getting the right people, competitors and fit at any age, then having depth. No matter who we lose to injury, we still have one experienced finisher on the field, and have some quick, talented but inexperienced secondary strikers to slot into the position opened by injury.

Wooster_TFC
04-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Koev is no guarantee to return at all, let alone at his previous level of play.

Earnshaw is no guarantee to remain once his loan dies. I suspect he'll be looking for good money, which I don't think we'll be prepared to pay (which is good cap management IMO).

I hope Davies, if the rumour is true, is being targeted as a stop gap for the year, but I suspect that he'll want more guarantees than just a 6 month deal if he's going to move across the pond.

While I commend Payne and Nelsen for drawing the line in the sand (finally) and moving on, I suspect that Urruti falling through is a bigger deal than most think. I'm terrified that we'll have a starting top 2 of Wiedeman and Braun come July (assuming Nelsen sticks with the 4-4-2 he seems to favour).

jloome
04-23-2013, 01:53 PM

Earnshaw is no guarantee to remain once his loan dies. I suspect he'll be looking for good money, which I don't think we'll be prepared to pay (which is good cap management IMO).

I hope Davies, if the rumour is true, is being targeted as a stop gap for the year, but I suspect that he'll want more guarantees than just a 6 month deal if he's going to move across the pond.

While I commend Payne and Nelsen for drawing the line in the sand (finally) and moving on, I suspect that Urruti falling through is a bigger deal than most think. I'm terrified that we'll have a starting top 2 of Wiedeman and Braun come July (assuming Nelsen sticks with the 4-4-2 he seems to favour).

The team has already said Koevermans is ahead schedule and could be back playing by May.

I think you're overestimating Earnshaw's earning power in England right now. He was out of favor at his home club, Cardiff, and playing in Israel. So upper level MLS money is probably more than he was going to make there. Davies is 36 and isn't even dressing for Bolton anymore, so he -- like Dichio at the time -- will probably take anything decent he can get. And Koeverman's injury is not even remotely considered career ending anymore, even for an older player.

I don't think there's much chance we'll lose all three, or even two of them, by summer.

Wooster_TFC
Well, when you pick the oldest three guys ... you're going to wind up with a list of the oldest three guys.

Earnshaw's a solid starter at 32, which isn't particularly old by modern standards. We have at least three more strikers under 30 and Jordan Hamilton coming up as well, so there's a sort of logic to it, younger guys learn from older etc.

If they score, I could care less if they're 38.

If we had Earnshaw and Davies up top, with Koevermans and Davies playing alternating roles to keep them healthy, that would be a troublesome pairing in every game against any defence in this league.

In fact, you can sort of see where this is all heading now, which is a pretty immediately competitive team, but with key parts that will go soon, allowing them to bring down the overall age of the squad slowly at the same time as breeding a competitive tradition.

It's predicated on getting the right people, competitors and fit at any age, then having depth. No matter who we lose to injury, we still have one experienced finisher on the field, and have some quick, talented but inexperienced secondary strikers to slot into the position opened by injury.

This is an excellent analysis, and if all three are solid contributors, and if all three remain healthy, and if all three get signed (Earnshaw needs a real contract come July), then we'll be scary up front for the back half of the year. A lot of "if"s though.

Pint

I thought Earnshaw was our property now... not on loan?

I thought we had club options on him for the next 2 or 3 season after this season as well

Wooster_TFC
04-23-2013, 01:57 PM
I think you're overestimating Earnshaw's earning power in England right now. He was out of favor at his home club, Cardiff, and playing in Israel. So upper level MLS money is probably more than he was going to make there. Davies is 36 and isn't even dressing for Bolton anymore, so he -- like Dichio at the time -- will probably take anything decent he can get. And Koeverman's injury is not even remotely considered career ending anymore, even for an older player.

I don't think there's much chance we'll lose all three, or even two of them, by summer.

Cardiff is an EPL level team. With Earnshaw finishing off chances in MLS, I could easily see a mid-level championship team giving him a go. That's DP money right there.

I fully believe that Davies will not be getting DP money, but I also really don't want him signed for more than this year. That said, I suspect it will take more than just a 1 year contract to get him to move across the pond.

TFC is saying good things about Koev, but then again, they were saying good things about Frings in the off-season. I have high hopes for him, but he shouldn't be assumed as an instant return.

All I'm saying is that while I'd have been more disappointed if the Laba deal fell through and Urruti was coming (especially since it was being reported as a loan with option to buy), I wouldn't completely slough it off like most are on here.

KGH
04-23-2013, 01:58 PM

All reports say Koev is in great shape now. You would be too if you've spent you're entire life playing professional sports and the next 2-3 years of your career depends on coming back from this injury strong and fit.

The deal with Earnshaw is already pre-negotiated. It's really the clubs option to bring him on or not. I doubt we would have negotiated a salary that becomes a detriment to our already piss poor cap management.

Wooster_TFC
04-23-2013, 01:58 PM
I thought Earnshaw was our property now... not on loan?

I thought we had club options on him for the next 2 or 3 season after this season as well

My understanding for both Earnshaw and Bostock was that TFC has their rights in the MLS context (discovery signings?) but that they'd have to negotiate a contract to keep them past July 1st.

So, "our players", but not...

ag futbol
04-23-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm not so sure TFC is sold on Bostock to begin with. Why is Reggie Lambe starting instead? Because he puts in more work when we don't have the ball, which is pretty central to what this team wants to do. Think they'll keep searching for upgrades in that spot.

What we get out of Kovermans at this point is a bit of a crap shoot. The injury he's coming off is fairly high risk. That being said I'm not too disappointed about losing out on Urutti, seemed ok but Laba is more of the prize.

Wooster_TFC
04-23-2013, 02:10 PM
What we get out of Kovermans at this point is a bit of a crap shoot. The injury he's coming off is fairly high risk. That being said I'm not too disappointed about losing out on Urutti, seemed ok but Laba is more of the prize.

Agreed.

All I was saying is that people shouldn't be dismissing not getting Urrutti as "no big deal because we have Koev, Earnshaw, and Davies!" All I was saying is that there's no guarantee we will have any of the three come July 1st, and the thought of our primary striker being Justin Braun (no offense intended to Braun, he's a good kid who puts in a lot of effort) is terrifying to me.

Oldtimer
04-23-2013, 02:15 PM
^^^ and ^^^^ MLS does not allow loans without a pre-negotiated team option.

notthesun
04-23-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm not so sure TFC is sold on Bostock to begin with. Why is Reggie Lambe starting instead? Because he puts in more work when we don't have the ball, which is pretty central to what this team wants to do. Think they'll keep searching for upgrades in that spot.

I really hope we give Bostock a chance at CAM. Hell I wouldn't even be against him getting a run out at ST in a 4-4-2. He's always been a central player and with his technical ability he could prove to be deadly from the middle if we're feeding him balls on the ground that he can turn on.

Also I expect Koef to come back pretty strongly. Every week I read a new tweet about how he says he's feeling good, he's upped his training a bit or how the club expects him back quicker than originally thought. It's probably mostly optimism but I think after a couple games he'll be up and at 'em.

Anyways, Molinaro seems pretty confident (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/326764872375365632) about Laba coming in so hopefully no funny business.

ag futbol
04-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Is that still the case? I kind of got the impression teams were getting around that by sticking high option prices in the contracts, making the whole exercise moot.

Canary10
04-23-2013, 02:31 PM
I really hope we give Bostock a chance at CAM. Hell I wouldn't even be against him getting a run out at ST in a 4-4-2. He's always been a central player and with his technical ability he could prove to be deadly from the middle if we're feeding him balls on the ground that he can turn on.

Also I expect Koef to come back pretty strongly. Every week I read a new tweet about how he says he's feeling good, he's upped his training a bit or how the club expects him back quicker than originally thought. It's probably mostly optimism but I think after a couple games he'll be up and at 'em.

Anyways, Molinaro seems pretty confident (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/326764872375365632) about Laba coming in so hopefully no funny business.

It really isn't how he feels at this point. I'm sure he feels great the knee feels good. It's a mental thing now. After that injury, you have a fear of going into tackles without wrecking it again. That bit of hesitation is big in a game situation. It's going to take him a while to shake that.

brad
04-23-2013, 02:40 PM

Isn't that loan with an option to buy? Or is it terms agreed with the player in advance? I though it was the former to prevent some MLS team from partnering with a big club and becoming a farm team stacked with high quality talent for a pittance in salary.

flamehawk
04-23-2013, 02:47 PM
I much prefer Laba over Urruti as others have mentioned. But seeing as these deals were supposed to be a done deal a month ago, I will wait to see this officially announced before getting too excited.

The deal makes sense, I actually like Hall, but his distribution isn't up to scratch. Best use him as a utility man off the bench, which I think he does well enough.

Greatest Ripoff
04-23-2013, 02:56 PM
How legit is this twitter account? Say 'official' but doesn't look official. https://twitter.com/TodoAAAJ

Todo AAAJ @ TodoAAAJ 25m# AAAJ - Matías Laba not continue at the club. Emigrate to Canada (# TorontoFC) by $ 1.5 million clean.

Edit: nevermind its not the official club site or twitter.

Greatest Ripoff
04-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Alejandro Calumite ‏@alecalumite (https://twitter.com/alecalumite)
AAAJ Confirmed: Sunday Laba travels to America. This Wednesday signed everything. Player will Toronto FC @ Diegomar

Pint
04-23-2013, 03:08 PM
So he travels to Canada on sunday or he traveled to canada on sunday?

Either way looks like the paper work will be worked out tomorrow and he will be out player.

notthesun
04-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Next Sunday is the 28th and his original date to arrive at the club was the 29th, so that seems to line up.

Morlesio14
04-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Cool about Laba. About Davies, one pacey finisher in earnie and a great player in the air in davies

brad
04-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Cool about Laba. About Davies, one pacey finisher in earnie and a great player in the air in davies

Lethal combo in this league IMHO.

moralis
04-23-2013, 06:16 PM
More info on Kevin Davies to TFC:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2313745/Kevin-Davies-set-join-Toronto.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Bolton paying half Davies wages to go to Toronto. Interesting.

brad
04-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Uurati deal dead as per Molinaro. Nelsen said so in today's post training presser

Oldtimer
04-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Bolton giving us their player and paying half his wages??? Kevin Payne must be some negotiator to make this happen!

Pint
04-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Doesn't say when Davies is coming but I would guess it is soon considering the transfer window closes soon.

jazzy
04-23-2013, 06:30 PM

again,,,someone tell me is this not DeGuzman....although an inexpensive DeGuzman would have been ok

Yohan
04-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Doesn't say when Davies is coming but I would guess it is soon considering the transfer window closes soon.
6 May. oodles of time

jazzy
04-23-2013, 06:32 PM

boom....although I think Neilson really likes Lambe

Yohan
04-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Bolton giving us their player and paying half his wages??? Kevin Payne must be some negotiator to make this happen!
Davies must be on EPL level wages. And Bolton would only be paying until end of June when Davies contract expires.

So loan till end of June, permanent transfer after?

jazzy
04-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Or in the meantime:

---Bostock---Silva-----Ephraim--
----Earnshaw----Braun-------

again...nice

Ajax TFC
04-23-2013, 06:34 PM
I hope Davies is just a short term loan til the summer when Koevermans comes back.

Edit:

Davies must be on EPL level wages. And Bolton would only be paying until end of June when Davies contract expires.

So loan till end of June, permanent transfer after?
I highly doubt we're signing another striker on the wrong side of 30 on a permanent deal.

Yohan
04-23-2013, 06:39 PM
I hope Davies is just a short term loan til the summer when Koevermans comes back.

Edit:

I highly doubt we're signing another striker on the wrong side of 30 on a permanent deal.

this depends on how highly Nelsen rates Davies.

jazzy
04-23-2013, 06:40 PM
QUOTE=gdg_9;1576497]If Laba can come in and actually prove to be that "Destroyer" holding mid, that fills a huge hole in our lineup.

Next on the list (in my mind anyway) is better wing depth.

Our service in from crosses has been nowhere near good enough this season.
Ephraim hasn't impressed me so far, Lambe isn't good enough to be an everyday starter, and Bostock seems better suited to play more centrally as an AM (platoon with Silva maybe).[/QUOTE]

at first Ephraim wasn't impresive but Sat. he had quality first touches, and passed into the middle on one touch, He was always looking for a open man,on the otherhand I've yet to see Lambe pass or cross accurately into the middle. I do see him carry the ball too far , many times losing it.

brad
04-23-2013, 07:00 PM

I suspect it's for the season. Koevermans minutes need to be managed and Davies would help with that.

Also Koeves tended to fall apart when we subbed Koeves out due to lack of hold up play up front. Davies for Koevs around the 70-75 minute would not be a bad plan in a lot of games.

ManUtd4ever
04-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Lethal combo in this league IMHO.

Agreed, and with Braun as a reserve and Koevs on the way back, TFC could very well have the most depth at the striker position in the entire league soon.

Abou Sky
04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
I doubt Nelson would immediately replace Hall with Laba, especially since the former has been improving every game. I think a 4-4-1-1 is more likely with Hall and Laba in the centre and Silva in front of them.

The good thing about this signing is that Laba is already match fit and should be able to handle big minutes right away. Wishful thinking, but it'd be great if he was available this Saturday!

See, I was thinking on this and Hall has looked really good (goal or no goal, he looks good in the first and second third of the pitch)

I wonder about:

-------------Laba-Hall (S: Dunny)---------
-Lambe (S:Bostock)---Silva-----Ephraim--
----Earnshaw-----------

Ajax TFC
04-23-2013, 11:05 PM
See, I was thinking on this and Hall has looked really good (goal or no goal, he looks good in the first and second third of the pitch)

I wonder about:

-------------Laba-Hall (S: Dunny)---------
-Lambe (S:Bostock)---Silva-----Ephraim--
----Earnshaw-----------
I'm thinking something more along the lines of (4-2-3-1):
-------------Bendik-------------
-Ecks---Agbos---O'Dea--Morgan-
----Bekker/Osorio - Laba/Hall---- (1 destroyer and 1 playmaker)
-Lambe ------Silva----Bostock--
-------Earnshaw/Koevermans---

Or (4-1-2-1-2):
-----------Laba/Hall------------
-Bekker/Lambe---Ephraim/Osorio-
-----------Silva/Bostock--------
--Koevermans - - Earnshaw-----
Bekker and Osorio vs Ephraim and Lambe as the wide midfielders would depend on how you want to approach the game, IE do you want to hold possession and work though the middle, using fullbacks for width, or do you want to spread the midfield out to create more space for the CMs. Or even play Hall as a wide midfielder a la Will Johnson @RSL.

In any case, we should have lots of options for midfield soon even without much depth

Abou Sky
04-23-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm thinking something more along the lines of (4-2-3-1):
----Bekker/Osorio - Laba/Hall---- (1 destroyer and 1 playmaker)
-Lambe ------Silva----Bostock--
-------Earnshaw/Koevermans---

Or (4-1-2-1-2):
-----------Laba/Hall------------
-Bekker/Lambe---Ephraim/Osorio-
-----------Silva/Bostock--------
--Koevermans - - Earnshaw-----
Bekker and Osorio vs Ephraim and Lambe as the wide midfielders would depend on how you want to approach the game, IE do you want to hold possession and work though the middle, using fullbacks for width, or do you want to spread the midfield out to create more space for the CMs. Or even play Hall as a wide midfielder a la Will Johnson @RSL.

In any case, we should have lots of options for midfield soon even without much depth

You know, with that second line-up, I could see us scoring 3-4 goals a game vs. most opponents. At which point I will punch anyone that says TFC is 'boring football'

T-boy
04-23-2013, 11:14 PM
My goodness, there's some optimism in this thread all of a sudden! :o

Derko
04-24-2013, 04:30 AM
My goodness, there's some optimism in this thread all of a sudden! :o

Nice to see, isn't it.

ManUtd4ever
04-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Davies looks like a done deal...

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/10374206.Wanderers_captain_Kevin_Davies_is_on_his_ way/?ref=mr

Kevin Davies was last night finalising the small details of his move to Toronto FC after being granted permission to sever his ties with Wanderers (http://theboltonnews.co.uk/wanderers).

It is understood the club captain has been allowed to quit the Reebok before his current contract expires at the end of June, to pursue a season-long deal in Canada.

Davies had been left out of the 18-man squads against Leicester City and Middlesbrough and was not in line to feature in this weekend’s squad to face champions Cardiff City.

http://oas.newsquestdigital.co.uk/5/www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/10374206.Wanderers_captain_Kevin_Davies_is_on_his_ way/index.php/L29/439006327/Left2/NDM/Admeld_MPU_L2_Network_Sport/GroupM_MPU_Aug11.html/592b32703646463378316b41417a5142?_RM_EMPTY_&context=sport&weather=rain&wt=13.6&ab_name=comments&ab_letter=b&asSegments=E10918_10033&asSegments=E10918_0&qcSegments=D&device=desktop&u=45179452276080842940398398621589550776Dougie Freedman has placed his faith in youngster Tom Eaves as strike back-up for Craig Davies and Marvin Sordell, and gave his blessing to the 36-year-old front man to link up with the MLS side, whose season is now six weeks old.

The decision represents a show of goodwill from the Whites, who now heads into the final two games of the campaign, and any potential play-offs, boasting only three recognised strikers on the books.

With details now finalised at the Wanderers end, Davies was simply waiting on Toronto – who are in action against Montreal tonight – to complete their side of the transfer. It means that the last of the ex-England international’s 407 appearances was made in the 1-0 defeat at Ipswich Town on March 16.

Davies had turned down a deal from Stuart Holden’s former MLS club Houston Dynamo in January because he did not want to move his wife and family from Bolton.But while offers were on the table from a number of English clubs with next season in mind, the prospect of a short-term move and a fresh start in a new country proved difficult to resist.

It is thought that the transfer will be completed by the time Wanderers travel to South Wales this weekend where a win could cement a play-off spot, depending on results elsewhere.

The nature of the MLS season does, however, mean that Davies could end up back on English soil by the end of the year if he so wishes.The campaign finishes in October, although the post-season MLS Cup can run into early December for the teams who make it to the finals.

It has become the vogue for many ex-Premier League players to seek short-term loan moves back to native soil, or to train with English clubs over the winter break. Ex-Wanderer Andy O’Brien, currently plying his trade with Vancouver Whitecaps, worked with the club over the Christmas break.

Morlesio14
04-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Our strikers are old as fuck. That's not a bad thing though, they know how to finish and create

Yohan
04-24-2013, 07:54 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22277985

BBC reporting on Davies deal

Morlesio14
04-24-2013, 08:19 AM
The davies deal will probably be announced tomorow or later today

Detroit_TFC
04-24-2013, 08:28 AM
My spidey sense isn't feeling right on this, but a lot of outside commentators seem hugely positive on this. I don't doubt that Davies would add a lot to our danger up front but unless we have better mid-field service for Earnshaw, Davies or Danny the K when he returns, these guys are going to spend way too much time retrieving balls and not receiving them in the box.

Canary10
04-24-2013, 08:29 AM
If it's a deal to the end of the season I think it's a win-win for everyone. He's likely to be a pretty good player in MLS. Certainly isn't soft.

brad
04-24-2013, 08:31 AM
My spidey sense isn't feeling right on this, but a lot of outside commentators seem hugely positive on this. I don't doubt that Davies would add a lot to our danger up front but unless we have better mid-field service for Earnshaw, Davies or Danny the K when he returns, these guys are going to spend way too much time retrieving balls and not receiving them in the box.

Laba is supposedly done, and there were rumors a while back that a new AM was coming in in the summer window (not sure if that is still the case or not - or if it ever was).

T-boy
04-24-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm excited if Davies is coming. He's a player I've liked for years. Those people who think he's a guy who's going to come and score a crap load of goals need to hold their expectation - Davies isn't a big scorer - but he creates a shit-load of problems from his movement and strength. He will bring Earnshaw into the game more just by creating space, and will give our playmakers some off the ball movement to play with.

Checking his stats, he's played 31 games this season, so was playing more in the Championship than Earnshaw was. I think he will be match fit and should be able to fit into the MLS quickly.

Again, don't expect a load of goals from this guy, that isn't going to happen.

Globetrotter
04-24-2013, 08:38 AM
and where are those Hondurans...

Canary10
04-24-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm excited if Davies is coming. He's a player I've liked for years. Those people who think he's a guy who's going to come and score a crap load of goals need to hold their expectation - Davies isn't a big scorer - but he creates a shit-load of problems from his movement and strength. He will bring Earnshaw into the game more just by creating space, and will give our playmakers some off the ball movement to play with.

Checking his stats, he's played 31 games this season, so was playing more in the Championship than Earnshaw was. I think he will be match fit and should be able to fit into the MLS quickly.

Again, don't expect a load of goals from this guy, that isn't going to happen.

He'll also give the team a bit of backbone in the last 15 minutes of games.

Davenport
04-24-2013, 09:14 AM
For those of you that didn't know, Kevin Davies has committed more fouls than any other player in the history of the Premier League and he is also one of the most fouled.

Detroit_TFC
04-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Laba is supposedly done, and there were rumors a while back that a new AM was coming in in the summer window (not sure if that is still the case or not - or if it ever was).

I hope the Laba deal gets done. Feeling snakebit after the Urruti situation. That would have been genuinely a big signing and while I don't blame TFC for it falling apart, I'm still disappointed.

If for any reason the Laba deal doesn't happen, will need to get an AM asap.

Canary10
04-24-2013, 09:25 AM
I hope the Laba deal gets done. Feeling snakebit after the Urruti situation. That would have been genuinely a big signing and while I don't blame TFC for it falling apart, I'm still disappointed.

If for any reason the Laba deal doesn't happen, will need to get an AM asap.

My understanding is that he's a holding midfielder. What's wrong with Silva/Osorio?

Abou Sky
04-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Laba Apparently done deal.

http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/201...va-al-toronto/ (http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/2013/04/23/laba-se-va-al-toronto/)

Laba goes to Toronto (http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/2013/04/23/laba-se-va-al-toronto/)

Posted by Alejandro Calumite (http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/author/alejandro-calumite/)

Rate (8 Votes)

The central midfielder will be transferred to the MLS team and, although there was no official figures, the club would be left clean U $ S 1,350,000. This Wednesday will end up signing the papers and Sunday will be traveling towards North America. It is the third to be the Bug in this semester.Controversy door no opposing managers to part with it at this critical stage of the tournament.
http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/Laba44.jpg
And it goes nomas Matías Laba. While the official information will be announced in the next few hours, or perhaps on Wednesday when the details are concluded, the fact that the Argentine central midfielder will be transferred to Toronto FC in a deal that would leave the club U $ S 1,350. 000 clean through the transfer of midfielder of 21 years, will travel Sunday to North America.
It was all agreed in recent weeks. However, both the player, when asked by the media, like the president, at the last meeting of Executive Committee, denied the deal. Moreover in those days it was said that it was all signed and that the April 29 go to the United States. And it will.
This Wednesday evening and CD will be meeting several leaders plan to oppose the transfer. However, the pressure exerted by the player's environment the urgency of money you have the club in dire need of a significant income, made a settlement is reached a few weeks ago.
Caruso addressed the issue in practice this morning: "On top of that I have trouble putting together the team, now going Laba" acknowledged DT Tuesday at UTA, dissatisfied with the decision of some leaders to transfer the player who becomes the third to leave as he fights for the Final Tournament: the first was José Carlos Fernández and the second Leonel Nunez.
A Laba you happen to go in the worst way, in the middle of a tournament and after expulsion why many point to it as one of those responsible for the defeat on the field of Tiger. Lets you good money to the club, it's true.But the fans the feeling that there is a happy ending beyond the money coming into the coffers of the club.

BuSaPuNk
04-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Things are starting to look up. Laba and Davies should bring us a good threat to score every time we bring the ball forward.

Really liking the Davies signing though. Soild forward that an bring the ball down and create space and chances for Earnshaw to capitalize on. Really looking forward to see what this will make our squad look like.

Globetrotter
04-24-2013, 09:44 AM
That's two internationals, is it not? Did we only have 1 int spot left? Do we need to dump some players because of this? Signing any more foreigners, I suppose we'd have to drop foreigners? Maybe Ephraim or Bostock?

KGH
04-24-2013, 09:57 AM
That's two internationals, is it not? Did we only have 1 int spot left? Do we need to dump some players because of this? Signing any more foreigners, I suppose we'd have to drop foreigners? Maybe Ephraim or Bostock?

We technically have 2 open until Danny comes back. I imagine we take a hard look at keeping Bostock, Hogan and Taylor Morgan come the summer window. Considering Morgan has gotten no time I'd imagine he's the first one to go if we want to keep the other two. Next would be Bostock and then Hogan (IMO)

PopePouri
04-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Reading the angry comments under Google translate is really funny. Some are happy to see him go, others aren't.

brad
04-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Things are starting to look up. Laba and Davies should bring us a good threat to score every time we bring the ball forward.

Really liking the Davies signing though. Soild forward that an bring the ball down and create space and chances for Earnshaw to capitalize on. Really looking forward to see what this will make our squad look like.

Don't forget he will be a massive presence defending set pieces and a real threat on attacking ones.

Still Kicking
04-24-2013, 10:12 AM
TFC fanatics could be described as "hundred times bitten, two hundred times shy" so I understand some of the hesitation...but the arrival of Kevin Davies should be taken in stride and understood as a part of a larger strategy. It appears that he is being offered a 1 year deal and does not take a designated player slot. If he can play 70 minutes some games and arrive off the bench for the last 20 from time to time he could be worth the gamble. I think that the late game struggles are not simply defensive errors, the other team can pressure because TFC does not have the talent to counter. Even if Davies comes into games as a wise, experienced player who can draw fouls and keep the ball away from the other team, he could make the difference for May and June.

Danny Koevermans is returning in the months ahead. A skillful and selective return would be wise for the player and the team, so a solid Davies helps there.

If TFC is already waiting for the arrival of Matias Laba, the 21 year old Argentinian midfielder, so the look to the future aspect is to be enhanced by the arrival of a young designated player.
There remains the issue of Taylor Morgan, an international player who is not even on the bench. It would be wise to find a loan for him or he maybe cut before July 1?
The summer is the time where a designated player signing could be in the works. We fans don't know who the TFC target is, but we know it is a thin squad and the additions so far could also prove to be short term (Earnshaw, Bostock and Ephraim).
Not every signing is going to be a saviour superstar. It is possible to get something from a stop gap measure and get more from somebody else later in the year...

brad
04-24-2013, 10:15 AM
My understanding is that he's a holding midfielder. What's wrong with Silva/Osorio?

Lack of experience is the main knock - but I hope to see a them both get a lot more playing time.

Have to mention, if Laba secures up the midfield in a more defensive fashion, that will give Silva/Osario a better platform to create from.

Globetrotter
04-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Counting chickens before the eggs depth:

-----------Koev-------Earnshaw-----------
-----------Davies-----Braun--------------
-----------Weideman---Welshman-----------
-----------Bennett----T.Morgan-----------

-----------------Silva-------------------
-----------------Bekker------------------

---Ephraim--------------------Lambe------
------------------------------Bostock*---

-----------------Laba--------------------
-----------------Dunfield----------------
-----------------Hall--------------------
-----------------Osorio------------------

-A.Morgan--O'Dea------Califf---Eckersley-
-Richter---Agboss'----Henry----Russell---
-Emory-----------------------------------

-----------------Bendik------------------
-----------------Frei--------------------
-----------------Roberts-----------------

F, D, G appear solid.

Midfield has some pieces, but how does it all go together? I think this emphasizes our real need would sit at the wings. We've used Bostock on the side, but he should really be listed with Silva and Bekker as an AM.

Toronto, short of three 90th minute fails could be at 13 points, and a top 5 team right now. We can't blow late leads if we have a 2 goal cushion. We have the players, we have the depth, and the chart should show that. We're just really lacking good enough (not great) wingers.

Oldtimer
04-24-2013, 10:17 AM
For those of you that didn't know, Kevin Davies has committed more fouls than any other player in the history of the Premier League and he is also one of the most fouled.

In other words, the first match refereed by Baldomero Toledo will see him out on a red card within the first 5 minutes.

v00d00daddy
04-24-2013, 10:22 AM
36 year old, sparsely used striker,(hopefully temporarily) taking up an intl spot and no mentions of being a washed up ex epl player.

Interesting.

I just hope this "temporary" fix doesn't turn out to be permanent like a few of the previous "temporary" additions have been.

BuSaPuNk
04-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Oh for sure. Hopefully he can help the organization in the box defending corners and kicks. Plus his height gives us another air presence.

Ultra & Proud
04-24-2013, 10:33 AM
36 year old, sparsely used striker,(hopefully temporarily) taking up an intl spot and no mentions of being a washed up ex epl player.

So 28 starts and 6 subs this season equals sparsely used? I guess most of our squad will be sparsely used by season's end then.

And 6 goals and 6 assists isn't terrible for a guy coming here on loan to be a physical target man. Don't expect a lot of goals like Koevermans provides but more of a presence up top like Dichio provided. For a short term fix he could really help Earnshaw out.

Plus as said, he is good in the air.

ensco
04-24-2013, 10:34 AM
This only makes sense to me if Koevs is done.

Red Skies At Night
04-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Davies isn't coming now. Issued a press release stating that there were contractual issues at the last minute that made him change his mind. Oh well... back to the drawing board.

flatpicker
04-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Davies isn't coming now. Issued a press release stating that there were contractual issues at the last minute that made him change his mind. Oh well... back to the drawing board.

Seriously?
Lemme guess... that deal that Houston almost had with him has screwed things up.

Skinn
04-24-2013, 10:45 AM

A link is always useful.
http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2013/4/24/4260378/kevin-davies-pulls-out-of-toronto-move-for-the-time-being

pdogg
04-24-2013, 10:47 AM
From SBNation - http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2013/4/24/4260378/kevin-davies-pulls-out-of-toronto-move-for-the-time-being

Per the Bolton News, a contractual issues has cancelled the deal. Major League Soccer's primary transfer window ends on 6 May and re-opens in late July. The Toronto move is not completely dead in the water, just not happening yet.
Davies issued a statement (http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/10376522.Davies_pulls_out_of_Toronto_deal_to_stick _with_Wanderers/) on the matter:

"It has been a complete rollercoaster since first speaking with Ryan Nelsen (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/mls/players/112331/ryan-nelsen) on April 18. As it stands today I will not be leaving for Toronto FC, as reported.
My young family and I were naturally very excited about the opportunity of going to Toronto on a short term deal but after legal advice we felt that certain obstacles put in our way were too large to overcome.
"Whilst it has been the toughest month of my 10-year BWFC career I remain, as I always have done, 100 per cent committed to the club. I will finish the season here and continue with my high standards as a professional footballer. I will be ready if the manager needs me and hopefully have a part to play in helping the club return to the Premier League.
"I would like to thank all the fans for their support. As the season and my time with Bolton comes to an end, we will look at the offers received from clubs in both the UK and abroad and decide where my family's future will be.
"I have some fantastic memories of the last 10 years and feel honoured to have been the captain of this great club for the last five years. Hopefully, it will finish with a fairytale ending."

Whoop
04-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Another link.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/10376522.Davies_pulls_out_of_Toronto_deal_to_stick _with_Wanderers/

T-boy
04-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Sounds like Davies is still holding out for a dream exit at the Reebok with a play off final game. If I was him, I'd probably want to play that big final game too, so I don't blame him.

Dreadlocks
04-24-2013, 11:03 AM

I posted something previously around the same lines. We need help in the midfield where there is a serious lack of depth. Davies would definitely help, but we could use something a bit different.

Yohan
04-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Thank heavens this deal is dead. You don't rebuild with old geezers. Well, unless you're the Leafs.

ensco
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Davies confirming the approach and naming Nelsen is very meaningful.

I think we have learned that Koevs is done.

Canary10
04-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Thank heavens this deal is dead. You don't rebuild with old geezers. Well, unless you're the Leafs.

Signing him for 6 months would not be part of the rebuild. It's just to stay competitve for the rest of the year.

Canary10
04-24-2013, 11:13 AM

You might be right.

Yohan
04-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Signing him for 6 months would not be part of the rebuild. It's just to stay competitve for the rest of the year.
i can't see Davies moving his family for a 6 months in NA. i think more like year and half deal

Detroit_TFC
04-24-2013, 11:17 AM
I wasn't wild about the Davies deal but it was an ok back up plan. What's the back up to the back up plan now?

ArmenJBX
04-24-2013, 11:19 AM
There's a rumour going around that Kevin Payne is chasing the signature of a really, really good player. Might be the best player in MLS if we sign him.

I don't know any specifics though.

reggie
04-24-2013, 11:19 AM
wow..how things change in a matter of hours....what a joke

mowe
04-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Yeah I'm also glad he's not coming. Looks like Nelson reached out to him once the Urruti deal looked dead. No need to rush for short-term fixes. Now we can save an INT spot for someone younger who'd be around past this season.

Although I wonder what last-minute obstacles he was talking about.

Detroit_TFC
04-24-2013, 11:23 AM
There's a rumour going around that Kevin Payne is chasing the signature of a really, really good player. Might be the best player in MLS if we sign him.

Whoever it is, he'll wait until we've announced his signing before spiking the deal.

Richard
04-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Im going to be really depressed if Koevs is done, favourite player to me like Dichio.

Yohan
04-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Im going to be really depressed if Koevs is done, favourite player to me like Dichio.
great TFC players don't get to retire gracefully :(

TorontoGooner
04-24-2013, 11:29 AM

You can't torture us like that! lol

Auzzy
04-24-2013, 11:30 AM
i can't see Davies moving his family for a 6 months in NA. i think more like year and half deal

I wonder if that's what spiked the deal? Payne & Nelsen have been very interested in short-term deals or even loans for guys coming over. Might have been too much of a risk for Davies, to come over with his family for a deal that only lasts until the end of the year or whatever.

OgtheDim
04-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Contractual issues sounds like pay or insurance. Oh well...:seeya:

Auzzy
04-24-2013, 11:34 AM

I really wish everyone from Payne on down would shut the hell up about it (& all other players they're chasing) until the player is signed, approved by MLS, here, and with his name on a jersey in a press conference. And not drop hints at coaching sessions or Academy events, in the media, or anywhere.

brad
04-24-2013, 11:35 AM

Disagree. It also makes sense if we got him on the cheap for the year. Koeves is not a 90 minute player, and he will have to have his minutes managed. Using Davies sparingly at his age makes sense.

That said, it does seem like this is Plan B after Urrati.

reggie
04-24-2013, 11:36 AM
You can't torture us like that! lol

it probs wont happend until summer...if it happends.

Sweeper
04-24-2013, 11:40 AM

Dero on a DP contract?

pdogg
04-24-2013, 11:43 AM
I really wish everyone from Payne on down would shut the hell up about it (& all other players they're chasing) until the player is signed, approved by MLS, here, and with his name on a jersey in a press conference. And not drop hints at coaching sessions or Academy events, in the media, or anywhere.

It's a balance that he's yet to find yet between keeping the insatiable fan base happy - remember all the complaining during preseason that we weren't getting any information? Or how the media breaks a rumour days before the official announcement - and making sure he doesn't put his foot in his mouth.

I for one agree with you Auzzy. Wait until everything is signed, sealed and delivered. Let the forums and media do the speculation - the team should be the official record - as long as they are transparent and truthful.

Detroit_TFC
04-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Luis Suarez? Since he'll have fuck-all to do until November.

ManUtd4ever
04-24-2013, 11:49 AM

Why? All of the indications eminating from the TFC camp have indicated the contrary, that Koevs' recovery is ahead of schedule.

PopePouri
04-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Why? All of the indications eminating from the TFC camp have indicated the contrary, that Koevs' recovery is ahead of schedule.

He's expressed desire to play after his stint here. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves in the summer window.

Yohan
04-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Dero on a DP contract?

HAHAHAHA
Good thigh slapper of a joke!

Auzzy
Luis Suarez? Since he'll have fuck-all to do until November.

Suarez? Nah, I heard he's signed on a short-term deal with Borussia Munchonacentreback.

ManUtd4ever

You're living in the past dude. The Leafs are the second youngest team in the NHL.

Get with the program! g:D

Globetrotter
04-24-2013, 11:53 AM

I think the bigger issue is people coming online to get half-assed reports. If you restricted yourself to the official TFC site, you wouldn't see any of the garbage/speculation/jibber-jabber.

If you want to hear an announcement when it's official, stay away from twitter, forums, and even the newspapers if you have to.

Auzzy
04-24-2013, 11:55 AM
I think the bigger issue is people coming online to get half-assed reports. If you restricted yourself to the official TFC site, you wouldn't see any of the garbage/speculation/jibber-jabber.

If you want to hear an announcement when it's official, stay away from twitter, forums, and even the newspapers if you have to.

Various TFC reps (Payne, Nelsen, and others) have hinted or promised things in various interviews, meetings, apparently a few days ago at an Academy event, etc. Plus some of the media reports have clearly come from club reps. It's getting old. They could just say "we're always looking to improve our team" and leave it at that.

ArmenJBX
04-24-2013, 12:00 PM
The signing will most likely happen in the summer. Payne said July during a youth soccer forum last Saturday. Also said he would be the best player in MLS should Toronto FC sign him but I'm sure that's subjective, unless it's like, Kaká or something.

Personally, I have no idea who he's talking about. I'd love to see Toronto poach Frank Lampard though.

Greatest Ripoff
04-24-2013, 12:08 PM

And the top scorer in the league was a '32 year old, sparsely used striker,(hopefully temporarily) taking up an intl spot and no mentions of being a washed up ex lower devision player' before coming to Toronto.

Derko
04-24-2013, 12:09 PM

Didn't they (Leafs) make the playoffs though, lol

Detroit_TFC
04-24-2013, 12:10 PM
suarez? Nah, i heard he's signed on a short-term deal with borussia munchonacentreback.

rofl :)

Derko
04-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Dero on a DP contract?

Yuk, not that snake in the grass

Greatest Ripoff
04-24-2013, 12:14 PM

Not really sure what you are on about here. Of the 27 players under contract with this team only 5 players are over the age of 26. How exactly would added one extra veteran be building this team with 'old geezers'?

Yohan
04-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Not really sure what you are on about here. Of the 27 players under contract with this team only 5 players are over the age of 26. How exactly would added one extra veteran be building this team with 'old geezers'?
I meant Davies is an 'old geezer'.

Don't get me wrong. Davies would be awesome for a contender. TFC isn't a contender. Davies has a no future for TFC going forward. I'd rather give playing time to youngsters

mdc 77
04-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Didn't they (Leafs) make the playoffs though, lol

With the youngest team in the league.

Also Davies has said he is not coming.

ag futbol
04-24-2013, 12:25 PM
They said similarly complementary things about Frings before they bought him out. If there's one thing to take away from the current management team is that you need a very strong filter.

If I had to guess, we're all being conditioned not to foam at the mouth with speculation every time something hits the press.

ensco
04-24-2013, 12:25 PM

Would Payne/Nelsen really want a front line with Earnshaw, Koevs and Davies? I give them more credit than that.

I think Koevs is a warrior. But not many guys come back from a full torn ACL, at his age.

As to what we are "hearing" or "not hearing" .... as with Frings, I suspect the insurance settlement issues are dominating the news flow on this one.

Ajax TFC
04-24-2013, 12:26 PM
The signing will most likely happen in the summer. Payne said July during a youth soccer forum last Saturday. Also said he would be the best player in MLS should Toronto FC sign him but I'm sure that's subjective, unless it's like, Kaká or something.

Personally, I have no idea who he's talking about. I'd love to see Toronto poach Frank Lampard though.
That must be a pretty frickin good player considering this guy is still in the league:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c8/Thierry_Henry_control_cropped.jpg/200px-Thierry_Henry_control_cropped.jpg
I wonder whether it's a forward or a midfielder. Ronaldinho maybe?

v00d00daddy
04-24-2013, 12:27 PM
And the top scorer in the league was a '32 year old, sparsely used striker,(hopefully temporarily) taking up an intl spot and no mentions of being a washed up ex lower devision player' before coming to Toronto.

Ok then. But please ease off on the scoring leader talk. Lol

2 penalties and two outright gifts.

And one penalty should never have been called.

Yes....he's the league leader but a little perspective please. His finishes were very good but I'll reserve judgement until we see some goals come from some normal run of play.

And yes...I know they all count but the Earnshaw love is a little premature.

Also...32 and 36 are very different. Btw...the point that I was getting at is that there seemed to be a lot less skepticism about the 36 year old ex epl player than there would have been for any other 36 year old player that would be brought in.

Globetrotter
04-24-2013, 12:32 PM

I meant Davies is an 'old geezer'.

Don't get me wrong. Davies would be awesome for a contender. TFC isn't a contender. Davies has a no future for TFC going forward. I'd rather give playing time to youngsters

People are remarking on your comments, not because you called Davies a geezer, but because you accused the Leafs of rebuilding with geezers, which is inaccurate.

Canary10
04-24-2013, 12:32 PM

Yes....he's the league leader but a little perspective please. His finishes were very good but I'll reserve judgement until we see some goals come from some normal run of play.

Also...32 and 36 are very different. Btw...the point that I was getting at is that there seemed to be a lot less skepticism about the 36 year old ex epl player than there would have been for any other 36 year old player that would be brought in.

He has a big hand in causing those "outright gifts" with his non-stop running at defences in possession.

JonO
04-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Btw...the point that I was getting at is that there seemed to be a lot less skepticism about the 36 year old ex epl player than there would have been for any other 36 year old player that would be brought in.
Sigh... Really? What is your basis for this statement? First, I don't see anyone thinking this would be anything other than a short term solution. Second, I can't recall any 36 year old player (seriously) linked to TFC who was not ex EPL and would not be a DP

OgtheDim
04-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Somebody really good, not too young and not too old. About 28-31 then.

Contract coming to an end this season.

Either an international or ex international.

Better then Dunfield and Weideman.

I'll believe it when I see the guy holding up a TFC shirt.

v00d00daddy
04-24-2013, 12:55 PM
He has a big hand in causing those "outright gifts" with his non-stop running at defences in possession.

He runs at defenses every game. Lots of speedy strikers do this. They don't get gifted goals for their efforts every game though. Only when the defender messes up a brutally simple play. So yes...his pressure contributes, but the meat of the goal is in the poor defensive play.

Sigh... Really? What is your basis for this statement? First, I don't see anyone thinking this would be anything other than a short term solution. Second, I can't recall any 36 year old player (seriously) linked to TFC who was not ex EPL and would not be a DP

First...that's what we thought about Earnshaw, only to learn that his signing is not a short term fix.

Second....I'm just saying that I've heard and seen comments over the years about other players and other teams signing over the hill players from other leagues (even Payne said he wouldn't be doing what he just tried to do) and I found it interesting that there was almost nothing negative to be said about is courting Davies until now, when we're told that it doesn't look like its happening.

Just think its a bit of an example of the EPL/UK bias in our market.

ManUtd4ever
04-24-2013, 01:04 PM

C'mon man. This whole board was salivating at the prospect of TFC signing a 36 year old Del Piero not too long ago.

Quality is quality, regardless of a player's background.

Ajax TFC
04-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Would Payne/Nelsen really want a front line with Earnshaw, Koevs and Davies? I give them more credit than that.

I think Koevs is a warrior. But not many guys come back from a full torn ACL, at his age.

As to what we are "hearing" or "not hearing" .... as with Frings, I suspect the insurance settlement issues are dominating the news flow on this one.
It could be that they were trying to get Davies as a stopgap until summer when Koev is supposed to return. If so, than it's possible that the deal fell through because he wanted a longer deal

Canary10
04-24-2013, 01:18 PM
He runs at defenses every game. Lots of speedy strikers do this. They don't get gifted goals for their efforts every game though. Only when the defender messes up a brutally simple play. So yes...his pressure contributes, but the meat of the goal is in the poor defensive play.

First...that's what we thought about Earnshaw, only to learn that his signing is not a short term fix.

Second....I'm just saying that I've heard and seen comments over the years about other players and other teams signing over the hill players from other leagues (even Payne said he wouldn't be doing what he just tried to do) and I found it interesting that there was almost nothing negative to be said about is courting Davies until now, when we're told that it doesn't look like its happening.

Just think its a bit of an example of the EPL/UK bias in our market.

He's gotten more of those than other speedy strikers. I agree they are bad defensive plays, but he's better than anyone at creating them, and never misses when he gets them. Someone once said you create your own luck. He deserves a bit of credit for it. Btw, MLS defences, even the best, commit at least a howler a game. That's MLS defending.

v00d00daddy
04-24-2013, 01:18 PM

C'mon man. This whole board was salivating at the prospect of TFC signing a 36 year old Del Piero not too long ago.

Agreed but now we're comparing the impact of a del piero to Davies?

Lets put it this way. Had we signed a 35 year old Marco divaio last year there would have been a hell of a lot of more "washed up" talk then we saw with this Davies business.

I know that can't be proven but it's still how I feel. Lol

Basically...we can stomach a 36 year old if he's of Del Pieros quality or if he's an ex epl/championship guy. Lol

69Chevy396
04-24-2013, 01:19 PM

Right, and to compare Davies with Del Piero busts this theory. TFC scouting staff would do better working the many Serie B players itching for a chance to earn more money, than chase after a player such as Davies. Look, he may havebeen a good stop gap scorer but there are so, so any places around the soccer world, yet we keep landing the same fish. I like what Montreal is doing, and so far at least, they are doing much beter than us.

v00d00daddy
04-24-2013, 01:20 PM

He's gotten more of those than other speedy strikers. I agree they are bad defensive plays, but he's better than anyone at creating them, and never misses when he gets them. Someone once said you create your own luck. He deserves a bit of credit for it. Btw, MLS defences, even the best, commit at least a howler a game. That's MLS defending.

Agreed on that. His finishing has been awesome.

Canary10
04-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know if Koevermans is in full training? ie. actually in a position to be tackled or go full into tackles? If he's not there yet, regardless of how the knee feels, he's months away. I hate to keep harping on it, but coming back from that injury takes a huge mental adjustment that will take him a while. If he hasn't had a chance to have someone take a full on run at his legs and survive, he's a long way from getting past the mental issue.

T-boy
04-24-2013, 01:30 PM

Not only is Earnshaw fast, but he's got a footballing brain and he anticipates things very well. A lot of players try and close things down, but Earnie seems to be ahead of other players thinking sometimes. We should definitely give him credit - the goals he scored are not JUST defensive errors, but also quick thinking and anticipation from Earnshaw.

brad
04-24-2013, 01:31 PM

Lets put it this way. Had we signed a 35 year old Marco divaio last year there would have been a hell of a lot of more "washed up" talk then we saw with this Davies business.

Basically...we can stomach a 36 year old if he's of Del Pieros quality or if he's an ex epl/championship guy. Lol[/QUOTE]

Was there a lot of washed up talk when we signed a 34 year German International? I honestly don't remember.

Del Piero to Davis comparisons are silly - I do agree, but with the MLS contracts become a big issue as well. I'd be fine with Davies cheap for the season, I wouldn't be with him at league max. I also would have loved Del Piero, but not as a DP at his age, or not on a multi-year deal. To much risk tieing up that much cap in a aged player IMHO.

Phil
04-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Does anyone know if Koevermans is in full training? ie. actually in a position to be tackled or go full into tackles? If he's not there yet, regardless of how the knee feels, he's months away. I hate to keep harping on it, but coming back from that injury takes a huge mental adjustment that will take him a while. If he hasn't had a chance to have someone take a full on run at his legs and survive, he's a long way from getting past the mental issue.

Light training with the team right now, not full from what I have read. I may be wrong, but they still say May / June

ag futbol
04-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Right, and to compare Davies with Del Piero busts this theory. TFC scouting staff would do better working the many Serie B players itching for a chance to earn more money, than chase after a player such as Davies. Look, he may havebeen a good stop gap scorer but there are so, so any places around the soccer world, yet we keep landing the same fish. I like what Montreal is doing, and so far at least, they are doing much beter than us.
But this all boils down to where you have your connections. Neither Italy or England are terribly practical places for MLS teams to look for talent. In this case both clubs can be forgiven because their connections within these markets makes searching their passable. Should be of note though, that both clubs have looked other places as well to fill out their rosters. Montreal has a lot of non-italians that are contributing to their team, so I don't think it's particularly fair to pile all the success on one element of the roster.

Stouffville_RPB
04-24-2013, 01:35 PM

I know what you are trying to say and don't even disagree with you but there would've been a fight if anyone had tried to argue with me that Di Vaio was over the hill.

Agree with what you are saying but wrong player analogy.

T-boy
04-24-2013, 01:36 PM

Basically...we can stomach a 36 year old if he's of Del Pieros quality or if he's an ex epl/championship guy. Lol

It really depends on if an older player is still playing a lot. Davies has played 31 games this season, so clearly he's still match fit, and good enough for selection for a Championship team. Di Vaio played 29 games for Bogonga the season before joining Montreal, so again he's clearly playing regularly and at a good level of football.

Now, if it was somebody like Michael Owen, who isn't playing at all for Stoke, then it would be a bad signing in my opinion.

Some older players clearly have some legs left, and some clearly don't come mid-thirties.

T-boy
04-24-2013, 01:38 PM
I realise Owen was a bad example as his legs had clearly gone by the time he'd hit 25! :p

Oldtimer
04-24-2013, 01:39 PM
The signing will most likely happen in the summer. Payne said July during a youth soccer forum last Saturday. Also said he would be the best player in MLS should Toronto FC sign him

Do you know anyone who was actually at the forum? All I've seen is an unconfirmed tweet from one coach... and if it's just one person, he may have misheard him. I wouldn't start looking for Kaka yet.

CBTFC
04-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Some older players clearly have some legs left, and some clearly don't come mid-thirties.

It all boils down to this. Simple really.

v00d00daddy
04-24-2013, 01:41 PM

Was there a lot of washed up talk when we signed a 34 year German International? I honestly don't remember.

Del Piero to Davis comparisons are silly - I do agree, but with the MLS contracts become a big issue as well. I'd be fine with Davies cheap for the season, I wouldn't be with him at league max. I also would have loved Del Piero, but not as a DP at his age, or not on a multi-year deal. To much risk tieing up that much cap in a aged player IMHO.[/QUOTE]

My point exactly. As long as the guy is or was one of the better players in the world at one time (del piero, Frings) it's okay to sign an old guy. Which I totally agree with.

I'm just bothered that the other exception seems to be if a guy used to play in a league that a lot of people grew up watching. Lol

Yohan
04-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Do you know anyone who was actually at the forum? All I've seen is an unconfirmed tweet from one coach... and if it's just one person, he may have misheard him. I wouldn't start looking for Kaka yet.
there is interest from Kaka to play in MLS though

brad
04-24-2013, 01:54 PM

And Lampard. Not sure about Ronaldinho now though. He has revived his career in Brazil and is getting a look in with the National team. I don't see him leaving before WC2014, if at all.

Marc"2L"
04-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Hmm... Call me crazy, but they want eyeballs right?

Payne said best player in the league, that includes Henry, that will probably fill seats....

Sure are a lot of Portuguese in the area, not saying anything about race here, but I can think of somebody that might peak some interest world wide and potentially fill the stadium like crazy...

Aha, oh I almost let myself believe that for a second...

ryan
04-24-2013, 02:17 PM

Posted on MLS.com who generally just write attention grabbing crap? Sometimes it seems that every star player over 30 wants to play in MLS and that we have clones of ever under 30 star player in our league already. Not to mention every goal is a golazo and every rival match is a SuperClasico or <insert stolen rival match name here>

Their approach makes me vomit sometimes.

As for Kaka, I recall he said he said "one day, but not now".....and there's no way if it ever happens, that he doesn't land in NY or LA. It's impossible in a Garber run MLS.

I have a hard time reading much into MLS written articles.

ManUtd4ever
04-24-2013, 02:19 PM

I'm not making direct comparisons, but my general point stands. Davies was not a world class striker in his prime, but he still has a considerable football pedigree, and that's why there was little skepticism. It has nothing to do with his nationality.

Oldtimer
04-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Hmm... Call me crazy, but they want eyeballs right?

Payne said best player in the league, that includes Henry, that will probably fill seats....

Sure are a lot of Portuguese in the area, not saying anything about race here, but I can think of somebody that might peak some interest world wide and potentially fill the stadium like crazy...

Aha, oh I almost let myself believe that for a second...

Do you believe unconfirmed tweets? I don't. I don't know if Payne ever said any such thing.

Marc"2L"
04-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Do you believe unconfirmed tweets? I don't. I don't know if Payne ever said any such thing.

Oh heavens no, I don't even believe what KP says straight from his mouth anymore, not saying he's lying but he gets ahead of himself.

But it's fun to speculate who's Going to Tear This League Aparttm next

ArmenJBX
04-24-2013, 02:43 PM

I'll ask Payne tonight if I see him, if that statement is true. Let's see what comes from this tweet!

Yohan
04-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Posted on MLS.com who generally just write attention grabbing crap? Sometimes it seems that every star player over 30 wants to play in MLS and that we have clones of ever under 30 star player in our league already. Not to mention every goal is a golazo and every rival match is a SuperClasico or <insert stolen rival match name here>

Their approach makes me vomit sometimes.

As for Kaka, I recall he said he said "one day, but not now".....and there's no way if it ever happens, that he doesn't land in NY or LA. It's impossible in a Garber run MLS.

I have a hard time reading much into MLS written articles.
Owner of SKC said Kaka's agent approached about signing for SKC

West220Side
04-24-2013, 03:39 PM

Take a look for yourself. He's outfront ahead of everybody.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/59779_10151337764676805_869884985_n.jpg
http://oi36.tinypic.com/2e1ritz.jpg

Initial B
04-24-2013, 04:02 PM
What are the odds we could get a god player from one of the Portugese or Spanish Teams that's suffering from financial difficulty right now? I think my brain would explode if we got Ronaldo...

notthesun
04-24-2013, 04:48 PM
What are the odds we could get a god player from one of the Portugese or Spanish Teams that's suffering from financial difficulty right now? I think my brain would explode if we got Ronaldo...

It would be a player around the stage in his career like Obafemi Martins. Still with something to offer but too far gone to attract offers from good to top clubs.

We ain't getting Isco if that's what you're asking. :p

T-boy
04-24-2013, 05:01 PM

Everybody is running the same direction, but there appears to be two players ballroom dancing in the back......oooohkay!

Morlesio14
04-24-2013, 05:22 PM
who are the dancers??

notthesun
04-24-2013, 11:04 PM
Nelsen put on quite the wry smile in his Montreal post-game press conference when asked about Laba. The reporter mentions him by name and so does Nelsen in his response, I think it's safe to say this is pretty much a done deal. @ 6:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnR8RMs2k8

Abou Sky
04-24-2013, 11:18 PM

More than just my brain, I would burst my fucking pants. I love C. Ronaldo, I still think he is #1 in the world.

T-boy
04-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Laba sounds like a done deal. I don't think a coach would say that without there being something actually signed up. I expect a press conference over the next 1 or 2 days.

Ajax TFC
04-24-2013, 11:22 PM
More than just my brain, I would burst my fucking pants. I love C. Ronaldo, I still think he is #1 in the world.
I think my stomach would explode :puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:
g:D

ArmenJBX
04-24-2013, 11:30 PM
That was me!

khso11
04-25-2013, 01:20 AM
That was me!

great question!!!! :)

khso11
04-25-2013, 01:21 AM
can't wait to see the announcement of laba, and hopefully he will have a great impact on the team. also hopefully this wouldn't come out like the urruti situation.

Derko
04-25-2013, 04:16 AM
I think my stomach would explode :puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:
g:D

Mine as well

ensco
04-25-2013, 07:10 AM

Do you understand what the price of eggs is?

Last year Javi Martinez, a Spanish national team sub that can barely get a sniff, a guy that I willing to bet 75% of people here haven't heard of, was sold by Bilbao to Bayern.

Do you know what the transfer fee was?

40 million.

Euros.

Ajax TFC
04-25-2013, 07:29 AM
That was me!
Finally someone who asks the right questions. Most reporters just ask about things we already know.

ArmenJBX
04-25-2013, 07:35 AM

Last year Javi Martinez, a Spanish national team sub that can barely get a sniff, a guy that I willing to bet 75% of people here haven't heard of, was sold by Bilbao to Bayern.

40 million.

Euros.

I've been really high on Martinez for a long time and while it seems like a lot of money, I'd say it was worth it over the long term.

The next big-money, under the radar move from Spain will be for Isco.

As for Cristiano Ronaldo, well...there's always FIFA 13 manager mode and that's about as close as that transfer is going to get.

Stouffville_RPB
04-25-2013, 07:49 AM
I'd hate to break up the Ronaldo to TFC talk and speak about something slightly more realistic but

CAN WE PLEASE GET A LOAN FOR DONEIL HENRY

The kid has all the physical tools to play the game at this level but needs to develop more. He isn't going to learn it all sitting on the bench. Loan him to Edmonton, Charleston, anyone who can give him minutes on a regular basis. PLEASE!!!

ryan
04-25-2013, 08:49 AM
I'd hate to break up the Ronaldo to TFC talk and speak about something slightly more realistic but

CAN WE PLEASE GET A LOAN FOR DONEIL HENRY

The kid has all the physical tools to play the game at this level but needs to develop more. He isn't going to learn it all sitting on the bench. Loan him to Edmonton, Charleston, anyone who can give him minutes on a regular basis. PLEASE!!!

I don't think sending Henry down there would do him much good. He'd be just as fine playing in reserve matches and getting minutes/practice time with the big club. I'm not against the idea of a loan, I just don't think NASL/USL is the place though.

Ultra & Proud
04-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Everyone knows he's 19 right? A standard US/Canadian Football player at 19 would be training with their prospective college teams at this point. I'd say him learning through reserve matches and training with the first team would be more beneficial to a player of that age and experience than simply getting tossed into USL/NASL level waters and potentially picking up bad habits or getting busted up by some of the hacks they have flying around in the lower divisions. Now players like Bennett and T. Morgan, at their ages, are a different story. Them I'd loan out.

Canary10
04-25-2013, 09:16 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/59779_10151337764676805_869884985_n.jpg
http://oi36.tinypic.com/2e1ritz.jpg

That's not full training. I want to know if he's been in a postion to have Bostock run through him. Or O'Dea go into a 50/50 with him. He'll need dozens of those before he even starts to think he could play in an MLS game.

anto7
04-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Kevin Davies: Bolton captain pulls out of Toronto move
Bolton captain Kevin Davies turned down a move to Major League Soccer side Toronto just 24 hours after reportedly being close to agreeing a deal.
Having been told his contract would not be renewed, (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21942886) the 36-year-old could have made an immediate switch to Canada. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22277985)
"My family and I were naturally excited about the opportunity of going to Toronto on a short-term deal," he said.

“I will be ready if the [Bolton] manager needs me and, hopefully, have a part to play in helping the club return to the Premier League”
Kevin Davies

"But after legal advice we felt that certain obstacles put in our way were too large to overcome."
The striker has not been a member of Bolton's recent squads and made the last of his 38 appearances this season on 16 March, but has now committed himself to the club for the rest of the Championship campaign.
"It has been a complete rollercoaster since first speaking with [Toronto head coach] Ryan Nelsen on 18 April," said Davies, who signed a new one-year deal (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18091522)after the club were relegated from the Premier League last season.
"Whilst it has been the toughest month of my 10-year Bolton career, I remain, as I always have done, 100% committed to the club.
"I will finish the season here and continue with my high standards as a professional footballer.
"I will be ready if the manager needs me and, hopefully, have a part to play in helping the club return to the Premier League."

JamboAl
04-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Wonder what kind of legal advice he is talking about? Good player but don't think he's what we need at TFC; and would only be a short term fix if that.

JohnnyEnglish
04-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Davies would have been useful to have around. A short term fix on the field but a wealth of experience as a captain than would help the development of the younger players. I assume that was a big part of the reason we were in for him in the first place. Given our preferred formation i don't see the need to add another target man type forward to the roster.

Canary10
04-25-2013, 10:41 AM

MLSE would have to sell the Maple Leafs to afford Cronaldo. Let's talk about things not in the realm of fantasy.

notthesun
04-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Argentinos Juniors confirm Laba sale: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dargentinos%2Bjuniors%26hl%3Den%26biw% 3D1600%26bih%3D728&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=es&u=http://www.argentinosjuniors.com.ar/futbol/profesional/noticias/20130424_2887&usg=ALkJrhiplWkioio5RUq-19LsLqGLAhm2aw

CommradePolski
04-25-2013, 11:32 AM
I think the problem with Davies was having his young family (im assuming wife and kid(s)) come with him for those 6 months. I think its most likely due to canadian immigration/visa laws. That sounds like a big enough hurdle that for 6 months he really didnt want to be away from his family.

Red I
04-25-2013, 11:36 AM
I think the problem with Davies was having his young family (im assuming wife and kid(s)) come with him for those 6 months. I think its most likely due to canadian immigration/visa laws. That sounds like a big enough hurdle that for 6 months he really didnt want to be away from his family.

This was actually my first assumption too. it can be a hurdle, even coming from a country that is a member of the Commonwealth (Cummings had the same problem). His family would not be able to come over immediately, and even after getting permission to come, the wife wouldn't be able to work. To be away from a young family; some people can do it (like Califf; kudos to him, must be tough) some people can't.

T-boy
04-25-2013, 11:55 AM
This was actually my first assumption too. it can be a hurdle, even coming from a country that is a member of the Commonwealth (Cummings had the same problem). His family would not be able to come over immediately, and even after getting permission to come, the wife wouldn't be able to work. To be away from a young family; some people can do it (like Califf; kudos to him, must be tough) some people can't.

His family could get a 6 months visitor visa, no problem. You don't need to apply for it, just come into the country. But his wife couldn't work here, that's certain.

MartinUtd
04-25-2013, 11:57 AM
When I heard Davies fell through I figured it probably had something to do with signing for the league instead of the team. The prospect of being passed around like roach is not appealing.

Morlesio14
04-25-2013, 04:22 PM
I thought that the signing would be announced today

Yohan
04-25-2013, 04:25 PM
I thought that the signing would be announced today
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/04/25/argentinos-juniors-give-green-light-matias-laba-transfer-toronto-fc

gotta be very close, as Laba is in Toronto. probably sorting out personal contract

PopePouri
04-25-2013, 04:28 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/04/25/argentinos-juniors-give-green-light-matias-laba-transfer-toronto-fc

gotta be very close, as Laba is in Toronto. probably sorting out personal contract

I thought he was flying in on Sunday.

jloome
04-25-2013, 05:45 PM

40 million.

Euros.

Of course, playing or not, he's been one of the best wingers in football.

That's why he's $40M, although I think the point is valid, which is that the Spanish league is horribly, horribly overpriced, even for clubs in heavy debt (which is most of them).

Might be able to get a deal in the Segunda, though. Like, maybe a certain former U.S international central defender who hasn't been playing?

mcolvy
04-25-2013, 05:53 PM

That's why he's $40M, although I think the point is valid, which is that the Spanish league is horribly, horribly overpriced, even for clubs in heavy debt (which is most of them).

Might be able to get a deal in the Segunda, though. Like, maybe a certain former U.S international central defender who hasn't been playing?

Hes a defensive Midfielder or Defender.... awkward,,,,

Derko
04-25-2013, 05:55 PM

And 25.7% unemployment, they are selling players to reduce national debt!!

jloome
04-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Hes a defensive Midfielder or Defender.... awkward,,,,

No, I don't ever feel awkward. Nice side effect of Aspergers. Mixed him up with Javi Garcia, who I also mixed up with Angel di Maria, probably due to phonetics.

flatpicker
04-25-2013, 07:20 PM
No, I don't ever feel awkward. Nice side effect of Aspergers. Mixed him up with Javi Garcia, who I also mixed up with Angel di Maria, probably due to phonetics.

Agreed...
Jerry Garcia would make a nice addition.

jloome
04-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Agreed...
Jerry Garcia would make a nice addition.

I'd be grateful for that. Maybe Jerry Garcia in a magic pouch?

ensco
04-25-2013, 08:23 PM
I have always loved Cherry Garcia. Always.

Huyton
04-25-2013, 08:28 PM

Is this why Nelsen had a smirk on his face when Armenia asked him about Laba? Was he, perhaps, at the game last night?

West220Side
04-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Just a question to the people on the forums who are knowledgeable in major league soccer transfers. Not for the 'part time' followers because I want a fairly accurate answer.
What would it take to get Perry Kitchen from DCU. I've been wrong in the past where I say "Oh nobody could get him off them!" and all of a sudden a few bucks of allocation and somebodys got that player. Just curious! (Not a rumored signing)

ArmenJBX
04-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Kitchen would be a strong signing for Toronto FC. It would probably take a first round draft pick. Toronto doesn't really have many established midfielders so potentially, if D.C. were looking to offload him, something like Jeremy Hall + Second Round Draft Pick might do the trick, but even then, Toronto would be winning the trade.

The only player that comes close to equal value is Luis Silva but trading Silva comes at a loss to Toronto FC. There's no like for like player in my opinion, unless you give up Frei, for example.

notthesun
04-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Been meaning to ask this for a bit, can anyone give me some background info on Osorio? I know he's technically an academy graduate but wasn't he only with our academy for like a couple months or something? What was he up to before we gave him a shot?

Blizzard
04-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Been meaning to ask this for a bit, can anyone give me some background info on Osorio? I know he's technically an academy graduate but wasn't he only with our academy for like a couple months or something? What was he up to before we gave him a shot?

In 2012, 11 goals in 17 appearances with SC Toronto.

Prior to that, at the youth level, he played with Nacional of Uruguay.

Here's an article from the K-W Record that covers some of his days pre TFC/ pre SC Toronto.

http://www.therecord.com/sports/article/907002--young-canadian-midfielder-jonathan-osorio-living-the-life-with-toronto-fc

Here's a nice article from Dan Girard of the Star (he recently left the Star which is sad as I thought he did a good job for them).

http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2013/04/05/toronto_fcs_jonathan_osorio_makes_mark_as_rookie.h tml

(http://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2013/04/05/toronto_fcs_jonathan_osorio_makes_mark_as_rookie.h tml)

notthesun
04-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Cool, much appreciated.

West220Side
04-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Kitchen would be a strong signing for Toronto FC. It would probably take a first round draft pick. Toronto doesn't really have many established midfielders so potentially, if D.C. were looking to offload him, something like Jeremy Hall + Second Round Draft Pick might do the trick, but even then, Toronto would be winning the trade.

The only player that comes close to equal value is Luis Silva but trading Silva comes at a loss to Toronto FC. There's no like for like player in my opinion, unless you give up Frei, for example.

Yeah, I was going to say that but didn't because I figure with Bill Hamid in there squad would they want/need Frei? Not a lot of MLS teams right now except for maybe New York have a goalkeeper problem. Anyways g:D Its not going to happen. I was just curious.

jloome
04-25-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm actually shockingly happy right now with Jeremy Hall as midfield anchor. Those stats on his passing this year are good, albeit all short, and he's doing a great job of clogging up passing lanes.

Morlesio14
04-25-2013, 10:22 PM

Why would they offload him and would we put him behind Laba at CDM on the depth chart?

69Chevy396
04-25-2013, 10:24 PM
What is his I hear about the signing of an Argentine labia?

Ajax TFC
04-25-2013, 10:49 PM
I usually enjoy listening to his analysis, but I find he goes over the top with his hate for foreigners and it makes it hard to take him seriously

ArmenJBX
04-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Why would they offload him and would we put him behind Laba at CDM on the depth chart?

It's just purely hypothetical.

19Barrett19
04-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Its official laba signs with tfc its on the tfc website

Canary10
04-26-2013, 08:34 AM
What is his I hear about the signing of an Argentine labia?

I've been waiting patiently for someone to say that......

T-boy
04-26-2013, 08:35 AM
I've been waiting patiently for someone to say that......

haha me too !

Also, to chant his name to Shabba Ranks song - "Mr loverman...LABA!"

anyways.....!

Corpand
04-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Well, well well. Kevin Payne motherfuckin delivered.

Its official.

Love the picture they put up of him too on the site.
Does he play defensive mid or box to box?

OgtheDim
04-26-2013, 09:09 AM
By all accounts he's a destroyer DM.

And at 5'9" he ain't going up there for corners. Might give a bit more freedom for the two CD's to stay up a bit longer on set pieces.

Dunfield to the bench most likely.

Ultra & Proud
04-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Soon:

--------------Bendik------------
--Eck--Agboss--O'Dea--Morgan--
--------------Laba-------------
--Bostock--------------Ephraim--
---------------Silva-------------
--------Braun-------Earnshaw---

And hopefully Koev in for Braun in a couple months too.

T-boy
04-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Well, well well. Kevin Payne motherfuckin delivered.

Its official.

Love the picture they put up of him too on the site.
Does he play defensive mid or box to box?

Sounds like a box to box. The highlights we have on video are lots of tackles, but also some good passes from the back to create chances. Don't know if he's much of a goal scorer though.

Also, lets not get overly excited. He's still a young player moving country and coming to a new league, it might take him time to adjust to the play and lifestyle.

ManUtd4ever
04-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Soon:

Not too shabby at all considering the amount of time Payne and Nelsen have had to reshape the roster.

ArmenJBX
04-26-2013, 10:01 AM
----------------Kocic-----------------
Ecks---Harden------O'Dea--Morgan
Avila----Dunfield----Frings----Silva
-----Johnson--------Hassli----------

how times have changed!

19Barrett19
04-26-2013, 10:03 AM
The video provided by mlssoccer.com was awesome you can tell he's very good. If you compare him to our former captain he seems better technically is more of a stay at home DM obviously quicker, has good sense of reading the game, and is a good distributor of the ball on the ground and in the air. Look promising to say the least. i really think Laba and Hall play similar and it's fair to say that these to could be used as your DM shut down pair. playing him alone in CDM would be tough on him i think coming to a new league. Hope to see him get his feet wet this Saturday at BMO and shut down Henry. Good job KP and Co.

T-boy
04-26-2013, 10:43 AM
----------------Kocic-----------------
Ecks---Harden------O'Dea--Morgan
Avila----Dunfield----Frings----Silva
-----Johnson--------Hassli----------

how times have changed!

haha, and that was when most of those were fit - how about the end of last season:

----------Hall------------
Hall - Ecks - O'Dea - Emory
Lambe - Dunfield - Silva - Maund
Amerikwa - Weideman

Compare that with the players we have now! What a difference!

Benficachop20
04-26-2013, 02:50 PM

From wat i know he never played for our academy (don't know y they keep saying he did) He was actually playing for the Nacional youth team in Uruguay, but was released last season so he returned to Canada and played in the CSL for SC Toronto, before being signed by us this off season.

Yohan
04-26-2013, 03:57 PM
From wat i know he never played for our academy (don't know y they keep saying he did) He was actually playing for the Nacional youth team in Uruguay, but was released last season so he returned to Canada and played in the CSL for SC Toronto, before being signed by us this off season.
Osorio apparently had enough 'training sessions' with TFC Academy to qualify as homegrown player for TFC

Kaz
04-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Paynes interview on the site is really frank and open.. I love hearing about Koves in training and scoring in training... can't wait to see him on the pitch again.

Auzzy
04-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Paynes interview on the site is really frank and open.. I love hearing about Koves in training and scoring in training... can't wait to see him on the pitch again.

Exactly! It's worth a listen for anyone interested in this thread of player moves. Here's the link: http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/04/26/kevin-payne-april-26-2013

For example, starting 9:50, discusses the Kevin Davies deal. Apparently the stumbling blocks were related to Davies signing agreements with Bolton to let him go early, rather than any complications with TFC, length of contract here, Cdn visa issues, or other things that were discussed on the board. Depending how Bolton does at the end of the season, Davies may have lost a lot in bonuses etc. if he signed those deals with Bolton.

Jack
04-26-2013, 06:54 PM
So far, from what I've seen of Payne, he's a no BS, professional guy. I got that impression when I met him, too. He wants to win and has a vision of how to do it. Whether he can make it happen or not remains to be seen, but overall, we could do a lot worse.

PopePouri
04-26-2013, 06:56 PM

A couple of things.

1. The Urruti deal was virtually done. NOB ended out pulling out unexpectedly.
2. I like that there is a democratic process for accessing talent and with a lot of homework.
3. Interesting insight about the league and the market in general.
4. It's great that there is now a proper scouting network and a list of names.

moralis
04-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Really interesting comments from Kevin Payne, really like his openness. Hope the Urruti deal can still happen. It sounded like it may still happen.

Very enjoyable listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CXSbFdNVE

OgtheDim
04-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Two other things to note out of that interview

a) "We" play in a certain way now, and Davies did/does not fit that. Payne is definitely looking to find players to fit that style.

b) There will be summer signings and they will be quality.

Oranje
04-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Two other things to note out of that interview

a) "We" play in a certain way now, and Davies did/does not fit that. Payne is definitely looking to find players to fit that style.

b) There will be summer signings and they will be quality.

b)i. There will be numerous summer signings.

Wouldn't be surprised if neither Bostock or Ephriam are here and a handful of younger players on loan by the summer

Yohan
04-27-2013, 12:19 AM
I don't understand why people are willing to give up on Bostock so early

notthesun
04-27-2013, 02:16 AM
I wish we had more wide midfielders so that we could try him at CAM/CF.

AlanO
04-27-2013, 06:24 AM
Soon:

Not bad at all, considering the short time Payne and Nelsen have been in charge. It's also a very young lineup - only Earnshaw is over 30 (and Koev when he returns). Some pretty good options off the bench too, especially Osorio. This group can grow together.

Wonder if Bostock, Earnshaw and Ephraim will stick around after their short-term deals are finished... I'm betting Ephraim goes back to QPR because their relegation might force them to shed some bigger contracts and keep their cheaper players.

Bostock might be a contender for a young DP deal if he keeps playing like he did against Montreal.

sdcfan18
04-27-2013, 07:01 AM

Me too. The guy clearly has skill, but we don't seem to be interested in using him. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but from what I've seen on the pitch, he's a great footballer with a load of potential. There are a bunch of guys I would rather part with before looking at Bostock.

ManUtd4ever
04-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Really interesting comments from Kevin Payne, really like his openness. Hope the Urruti deal can still happen. It sounded like it may still happen.

Very enjoyable listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CXSbFdNVE

Great interview. Payne is and eloquent and forthright.

Oranje
04-27-2013, 01:21 PM

I'm not giving up on Bostock, whenever he has the ball he is a threat and I don't know why he isn't a regular. The reason I think he won't be around in the summer (barring some Earnshaw-like form) is because he is on loan so if they bring in a better player, it is easier for him to be let go

notthesun
04-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Far too many indifferent performances from Ephraim now. I expect him gone in the summer and for Payne to sign 1-2 wide midfielders.

Bostock has a chance at staying.

reggie
04-27-2013, 04:46 PM
from what i can see...they are not much of a improvment over plata and soolsma.

JuliquE
04-27-2013, 05:33 PM
from what i can see...they are not much of a improvment over plata and soolsma.
How I miss Soolsma.

Fuck you, Mariner.

Oldtimer
04-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Great interview. Payne is and eloquent and forthright.

I like how straight-forward Payne is (something that endeared him to DC supporters). No BS, you know why he's doing what he's doing, plus what he says is so sensible.

He knows we're quite a few players away from having a competitive team.

Lennon
04-27-2013, 09:00 PM
How I miss Soolsma.

Fuck you, Mariner.

+1 :(

starter
04-27-2013, 09:42 PM
How I miss Soolsma.

Fuck you, Mariner.

Developed the player, and cut him loose.

backbeat
04-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Developed the player, and cut him loose.

Why we ever let Soolsma go I'll never know.....oh yeah, Mariner......

I'm sure Nelsen would love to have him - he may have been slow but he could play the ball and cross