PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

DaBandit
08-10-2013, 10:28 AM
It was probably done so fast because the offer was there, was good, and Forlan was pretty much coming. We'll never get a straight answer on what happened but if the rumour that he wanted an extra $3M all of a sudden was true or if he just decided to stay close to home there's not much you can do. I'm happy that never worked out anyway. Another way to look at it is that the allocation for Silva may be the reason we signed Caldwell for $90K. Since allocation amounts are a mystery maybe it was enough to cover Caldwell, Rey, and Elmer. Or maybe even Urruti if all the stories about gym building are true.

If at the end of the day we lost Silva, Dunfield, and O' Dea but gained Caldwell, Rey, Elmer, Bloom, Thomas, and Urruti then I consider us at least moving in the right direction so far.

Sorry I didn't read this prior to my previous post, it's the same point I was trying to make.

Ultra & Proud
08-10-2013, 10:45 AM
a lot of players who sign for a new club do really well in their first few games, see Earnshaw for us. Silva scored early for us in his career against LA if I recall. Let's talk about Silva after 8-9 games, after 15-20 games, if he is still knocking in goals then maybe we messed up, but I think after this little hot streak he will settle back to being that frustrating nearly good player he was for us.As many have said, he did have potential but at 25 you really need to be at your peak not threatening to be. Osario is better than him now and much younger. Always sad to see players who clearly have ability leave, but that is the nature of the game
Totally agree. The new team bounce. He did the same last year after Mariner came. Once he settles in I expect him to go back to being how he was here. I figure DC really wanted him as he can replace DeRo. They are similar in that both want to be AMs but are more effective at forward. Olsen set this team up to let DeRo do his thing and maybe they'll just drop Silva in his place when they dump him. I expect DeRo to be bought out anyway.

Detroit_TFC
08-10-2013, 11:11 AM
The craziness around this Urruti situation is probably not unique. I can see why MLS 1.0 wasn't able to get too much talent from S Amer despite loads of people saying they should. Now with ownership groups maybe are a bit more equipped to deal with this kind of stuff.

Fishnicker
08-10-2013, 11:54 AM
What if we got $300 to $500k allocation money for Silva? I would take that! That's going to help no end in the long term. Unfortunately, we all want success now, but it doesn't happen like that. Allocation is worth gold in the MLS.

That's probably what we did get. The press release only said allocation, not whether it was partial or full. Partial is supposed to be up to $150k and full about twice that. Since it was an "offer we couldn't refuse" I'm assuming it was a high end full allocation, but we'll never find out exactly how much.

It is gold though, and I think Payne is the first GM we've had who knows how to use it properly. I get the impression Payne is one of the better gamers of the cap out there.

gate7
08-10-2013, 12:25 PM
btw.........any rumours????.............:toetap05: at least the league as a whole has improved considerably during these last 2 windows.

jloome
08-10-2013, 12:44 PM
WOW A STAR player in a US COLLEGE, sign him for millions please.

Avg player, will never be a superstar. TFC needs a DP at AM, if you can't see that than whatever. Keep crying about losing a 25 yr old guy who is already been replaced by a younger/better/cheaper/Canadian player.

Hey, you watch what you're saying. That Silva kid's going to tear this league a new one.

Realistically, he's a bit player at this level. He just never gets involved enough in games; he has great technical skill but, as was the knock on him before the draft, simply not the work rate to be a midfielder; his defense isn't particularly good, either. That leaves him as a one-dimensional attacking player; in this league, the only guys who get away with that are players like Higuain, Ferreira, Schellotto.

He was considered a star in college but a lot of scouts at the draft DIDN'T rate him as likely to go in the first round, due to his lack of speed and ability to cover ground. I think he's like Hassli: so much skill that if you played him 32 games a year, you'd probably get 10 goals out of him. But you'd lose so much in other areas by having him on the pitch.

And no, that doesn't excuse players like Lambe from still being here and still being shit. But that's a false economy; the onyl reason he's still here is BECAUSE he's too shit to be in demand. Silva's technique makes him attractive to a team desperate for offense like DC. We're desperate for offense too, but we're also rebuilding the core of our team from the ground up; DC isn't. They've had most of their components for several years now and just lack goals.

And I wouldn't be surprised, given that trade allocation doesn't carry over from year to year, if we got up to a half-million in allocation space, which is probabl why Steven Caldwell is only making 90K a year officially.

It's one thing to lament a lack of progress; that's fair. But Chevy, you sound like Roogsy now; on the one hand, you seem to think acknowledge our old management was inept; on the other hand, you rely on their vision of a good player at the draft to establish that Silva is a star. You can't eat your cake and have it, too. They can't be both great judges of talent and idiotically poor judges of talent.

I think the current crew have yet to prove anything. I also think, given that most of us were realistic to see that an NASL-level team would take more than a year, that they haven't failed at anything yet, either. It's too early.

Should they shut the fuck up? Yes. But when it comes to making extreme statements rather than seeing a little nuance in life, we should all probably shut the fuck up occasionally. Payne is a promoter; 90% of this talk isn't for the diehards, who they assume will never leave, it's for the other 13,000 people who may or may not come to the game. And some of it is just dumb ego, assuming they can get things done faster than they can.

But the jury is still solidly out on this regime, and last time I checked, SIlva or no, we had seven of our last nine points. I'm going to call that a pleasant surprise, not an assumption that the job is or should be done by now.

69Chevy396
08-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Hey, you watch what you're saying. That Silva kid's going to tear this league a new one.

Realistically, he's a bit player at this level. He just never gets involved enough in games; he has great technical skill but, as was the knock on him before the draft, simply not the work rate to be a midfielder; his defense isn't particularly good, either. That leaves him as a one-dimensional attacking player; in this league, the only guys who get away with that are players like Higuain, Ferreira, Schellotto.

He was considered a star in college but a lot of scouts at the draft DIDN'T rate him as likely to go in the first round, due to his lack of speed and ability to cover ground. I think he's like Hassli: so much skill that if you played him 32 games a year, you'd probably get 10 goals out of him. But you'd lose so much in other areas by having him on the pitch.

And no, that doesn't excuse players like Lambe from still being here and still being shit. But that's a false economy; the onyl reason he's still here is BECAUSE he's too shit to be in demand. Silva's technique makes him attractive to a team desperate for offense like DC. We're desperate for offense too, but we're also rebuilding the core of our team from the ground up; DC isn't. They've had most of their components for several years now and just lack goals.

And I wouldn't be surprised, given that trade allocation doesn't carry over from year to year, if we got up to a half-million in allocation space, which is probabl why Steven Caldwell is only making 90K a year officially.

It's one thing to lament a lack of progress; that's fair. But Chevy, you sound like Roogsy now; on the one hand, you seem to think acknowledge our old management was inept; on the other hand, you rely on their vision of a good player at the draft to establish that Silva is a star. You can't eat your cake and have it, too. They can't be both great judges of talent and idiotically poor judges of talent.

I think the current crew have yet to prove anything. I also think, given that most of us were realistic to see that an NASL-level team would take more than a year, that they haven't failed at anything yet, either. It's too early.

Should they shut the fuck up? Yes. But when it comes to making extreme statements rather than seeing a little nuance in life, we should all probably shut the fuck up occasionally. Payne is a promoter; 90% of this talk isn't for the diehards, who they assume will never leave, it's for the other 13,000 people who may or may not come to the game. And some of it is just dumb ego, assuming they can get things done faster than they can.

But the jury is still solidly out on this regime, and last time I checked, SIlva or no, we had seven of our last nine points. I'm going to call that a pleasant surprise, not an assumption that the job is or should be done by now.
Ok, I concede. No more whining about losing Silva. I will find something else to gripe about.:(. Whatever happened to Roogsy?

jloome
08-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Ok, I concede. No more whining about losing Silva. I will find something else to gripe about.:(. Whatever happened to Roogsy?

Pissed in the drinking well one too many times, got banned. I imagine he's still active on other boards, very passionate guy.

Maybe Jon Arne Riise?

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8863910/Riise-Released

He's only 32, good winger, good fullback when needed.

jloome
08-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Pissed in the drinking well one too many times, got banned. I imagine he's still active on other boards, very passionate guy.

Maybe Jon Arne Riise?

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8863910/Riise-Released

He's only 32, good winger, good fullback when needed.

Also, http://www.football365.com/transfer-centre/8862524/Anton-Ferdinand-leaves-QPR

Seems unlikely having signed caldwell but you never know.

(haha, just replied to my own message. #narcissist.)

Areathrasher
08-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Anton has already signed for a team in Turkey.

69Chevy396
08-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Also, http://www.football365.com/transfer-centre/8862524/Anton-Ferdinand-leaves-QPR

Seems unlikely having signed caldwell but you never know.

(haha, just replied to my own message. #narcissist.)
Ever thought of a scouting assignment with TFC? I think the manager could use some help.

markie8002000
08-10-2013, 09:25 PM
http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fahoradeportes.com%2Fnoticias%2Fla-ciudad%2Fnewells-old-boys%2F26622-con-boleto-en-mano.html&act=url This article is on Urruti....

dantdot
08-10-2013, 09:35 PM
http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fahoradeportes.com%2Fnoticias%2Fla-ciudad%2Fnewells-old-boys%2F26622-con-boleto-en-mano.html&act=url This article is on Urruti....

Flying in on Monday...stop me if you heard that one before. Seems more definitive this time though. Someone make sure they don't unveil a hologram of Urruti, he's pretty much like a mystical unicorn at this point.

Pint
08-10-2013, 10:37 PM
So who is going to the airport on monday to confirm?

Marc"2L"
08-11-2013, 01:42 AM
With our luck, odds are as followed:
- Doesn't sign 1.75
- Signs but gets home sick 1.5
- Signs, is terrible the rest of the season, forcing a decision 1.25
- signs, does ok, suffers a career ending injury last game of the season. 2.5

Sorry, but we've been talking about this guy for so long, there's no way he could ever meet the expectations.

Richard
08-11-2013, 10:15 AM
I feel exactly the same way, its like the FO is treating him like comming of Jesus or something. He isnt the only good SA player, seems to me they have all their eggs in this basket.

PopePouri
08-11-2013, 10:30 AM
I feel exactly the same way, its like the FO is treating him like comming of Jesus or something. He isnt the only good SA player, seems to me they have all their eggs in this basket.

Well he was heavily scouted similar to Laba. Payne, O'Leary and Onstad have seen him so I assume they think he'll be a good addition. At least it's not a Mariner scouting report.

miker
08-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Well he was heavily scouted similar to Laba. Payne, O'Leary and Onstad have seen him so I assume they think he'll be a good addition. At least it's not a Mariner scouting report.

Also, they've been after other South Americans - like Moralez and Forlan.

[NBF]
08-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Also, they've been after other South Americans - like Moralez and Forlan.

Forlan, just seems like such a crazy rumour. Im sure he would consider it but not until after the World Cup and he does have a fairly good chance of making it on to the Uruguay roster for 2014. Moralez as well. It just seems like maybe the Montreal Impact supporters started a rumour and it started the same song and dance that never ends.

ginkster88
08-11-2013, 02:19 PM
;1608883']Forlan, just seems like such a crazy rumour. Im sure he would consider it but not until after the World Cup and he does have a fairly good chance of making it on to the Uruguay roster for 2014. Moralez as well. It just seems like maybe the Montreal Impact supporters started a rumour and it started the same song and dance that never ends.

There must have been something there for the Globe to go ahead with the big Forlan piece. Funny how they've not retracted it, as far as I've heard.

Moralez was real as well.. we know that Nelson went to Italy.

So... nothing to do with Montreal.

Marc"2L"
08-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Montreal rumours?

Joey pays his players under the table, now that's a rumor.
Expect, it's Quebec,
And they love to bribe
And he's Italian
So Mafia.

Doesn't seem like such a rumor anymore...

v00d00daddy
08-11-2013, 05:30 PM
And we have a gm that it is a founding father of this league and spent 17 years with one club and now he's here because he wants to be. Riiiiiiiiight. Lol

The league sent him to save us and I'm sure there's lots going on behind the scenes in our favour now.

Montreal did it without the help of the league. We're currently a charity case.

And I'm happy for it. It's about time we start playing the game.

OgtheDim
08-11-2013, 06:27 PM
I feel exactly the same way, its like the FO is treating him like coming of Jesus or something. ....

No, the Messiah is playing for Seattle....he came in yesterday in the first half.

Seriously, I don't think anybody is treating Urruti as a saviour; we've just spent so long talking about him and our offence is so bad that he has to be an upgrade.

Ivy
08-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Forlan not in the starting 18 for Inter today. (Insert jaws theme)

markie8002000
08-11-2013, 07:16 PM

Don't be starting rumors now lol

Ivy
08-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Im simply stated a fact... If people want to think why inter's leading scorer isn't playing the same week Paye said TFC would likely announce something. Coincidence? I think not!

markie8002000
08-11-2013, 07:23 PM
You could be onto something and now I'm going to search around twitter to see if theres any reason he never played

Ivy
08-11-2013, 07:40 PM
You could be onto something and now I'm going to search around twitter to see if theres any reason he never played
Muahahaha :D

Richard
08-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Im simply stated a fact... If people want to think why inter's leading scorer isn't playing the same week Paye said TFC would likely announce something. Coincidence? I think not!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pnKObAvS3Pw/Tw4lxJeDXiI/AAAAAAAAAmc/JrKWnADRNFc/s150/cop-out-nope.gif

I cant take it anymore!

Ivy
08-11-2013, 07:50 PM
League forked out the 3 extra million that Inter was looking for after doing the same for Dempsey?

markie8002000
08-11-2013, 07:52 PM
We can't sign him hes under contract just remembered Lol were only allowed guys whos not under contract/free

BuSaPuNk
08-11-2013, 08:07 PM
^ League could pressure Inter to buy him out of his deal with a kickback. Allowing him to come on a free? Could be possible.

Red I
08-11-2013, 08:08 PM
We can't sign him hes under contract just remembered Lol were only allowed guys whos not under contract/free

lol League will find a way around that. They seem to make up rules as they go along

EDIT: ^ like so

barticusz
08-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Forlan is with his national team that is why he is not playing (2 gm absence)

http://www.futnet.com.br/futebol/noticias/?299201-convocado-para-selecao-uruguaia-forlan-desfalca-o-internacional-por-dois-jogos

Haddy
08-11-2013, 09:30 PM

Uruguay v Japan on Wednesday.

He should be flying there now.

http://www.conmebol.com/en/content/uruguay-calls-cavani-suarez-and-forlan-friendly-against-japan

barticusz
08-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Just reading lacapital.com argentian news and NOBs new manager had urruti in his starting lineup plans. Said Urruti decision to want to leave was a personal one and took him by surprise.

Ivy
08-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Forlan is with his national team that is why he is not playing (2 gm absence)

http://www.futnet.com.br/futebol/noticias/?299201-convocado-para-selecao-uruguaia-forlan-desfalca-o-internacional-por-dois-jogos
It's just a cover up story. This person tweeted this earlier - seems legit:
@AgentDeForlan: Diego est flying to a la MLS team today. La team shall remain anonymous for now. #TFC

BuSaPuNk
08-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Lmao

gate7
08-11-2013, 10:13 PM
@AgentDeForlan: Diego est flying to a la MLS team today. La team shall remain anonymous for now. #TFC

best part!............

NolbertoS
08-11-2013, 10:28 PM

Seems as legit as the Globe and mail article. Somebody head to BMO ASAP to confirm :p

Red I
08-12-2013, 04:09 AM
Article reinforces notion that Urruti coming into Toronto on Monday...

http://www.agenciafe.com/noticias/val/208641-11/newells-no-apura-a-david-trezeguet-ma%C3%91ana-no-estar%C3%81-ni-en-el-banco-ante-boca.html

Ivy
08-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Welllllll it's Monday! Happy f5 day everyone.

Huyton
08-12-2013, 06:50 AM
Article reinforces notion that Urruti coming into Toronto on Monday...

http://www.agenciafe.com/noticias/val/208641-11/newells-no-apura-a-david-trezeguet-ma%C3%91ana-no-estar%C3%81-ni-en-el-banco-ante-boca.html

Google Translate has:
Maxi Urruti today and tomorrow will leave for Canada to join the team in Toronto. Newell \ 's receive compensation and may even make a preseason there. In Colombia remain binding upon National Athletic Crusader.

A preseason friendly with Newells? I guess relations between the two clubs can't be THAT acrimonious.

Wince
08-12-2013, 07:10 AM
A preseason friendly with Newells? I guess relations between the two clubs can't be THAT acrimonious.

That's good to hear... I was worried that any fiasco in dealing with South American clubs might hurt us in future dealings.

Ivy
08-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Google Translate has:
Maxi Urruti today and tomorrow will leave for Canada to join the team in Toronto. Newell \ 's receive compensation and may even make a preseason there. In Colombia remain binding upon National Athletic Crusader.

there was talk about NOB coming to train in Toronto for preseason, in terms of using the facilities at KTG... I doubt the teams will actually play full games.

Areathrasher
08-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Id go to a NOB friendly if it meant we got Urruti.

PopePouri
08-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Toronto playing the Downsview card again. It's probably the only card we have :p

kuku
08-12-2013, 09:24 AM
MLS Transfers ‏@MLSTransfers 6m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/MLSTransfers/status/366925684985171968) Haha #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) apparently making a last ditch effort to appease the fan base. Trying to lure Franco di Santo in for a 4 month contract

Morlesio14
08-12-2013, 09:25 AM
MLS Transfers ‏@MLSTransfers6m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/MLSTransfers/status/366925684985171968)Haha #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) apparently making a last ditch effort to appease the fan base. Trying to lure Franco di Santo in for a 4 month contract

Sure, mabye longer than 4 months though.

Areathrasher
08-12-2013, 09:27 AM
He tweeted that Rayo Vallecano are after him too and he doesn't see it happening.

gdg_9
08-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Mike Klukowski cut loose by APOEL.

Not advocating we sign him... just saying... he's now available and not subject to Transfer Window

razor787
08-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Dont know much about this guy but a quick look at his wikipedia page doesn't look very impressive. 13 goals out of 92 appearances, and his team before that had only 1 goal after 22 appearances.

We need someone if we are losing brockie, but doesn't sound like he will be very productive

gdg_9
MLS Transfers ‏@MLSTransfers6m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/MLSTransfers/status/366925684985171968)Haha #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) apparently making a last ditch effort to appease the fan base. Trying to lure Franco di Santo in for a 4 month contract

Only 24 y/o still... I'd take him for the 4 months, with the option to extend at season's end.

Would fit Payne's strategy of bringing in players with no-strings at first, to ensure they adapt well to MLS play.
(Similar to Earnshaw situation)

BuSaPuNk
I wouldn't be opposed to it. If we could get him on the cheap if he's out of contract long enough.

OgtheDim
08-12-2013, 09:48 AM
KP might bring in a player on loan for 4 months but as a looksee to see if he is worth keeping. Di Santo would be intriguing but I think its likely agent talk.

Stress
08-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Interesting. Definitely think he'd be a good DP signing. Nelly played with him while he was on loan at Blackburn so there might be some truth to it. If it is true, it's funny to see how much they are targeting Argentines. The TFC v. MTL derby could slowly turn into Argentina v. Italy.

burlington Red
08-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Not advocating him for us by any means but Paddy McCourt, ex Celtic player reckons or his agent who is his brother says he is 99% sure he will be joining an MLS team next season. Anyone know who he has been connected with. Interesting player, crazy amount of skill but a tad lazy. Will be a good pick up for whoever gets him

Areathrasher
08-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Galaxy and Quakes are defo in on McCourt and one other team that I can't remember (Houston maybe). He has signed a 4month deal with Hibs and will 100% be coming across for the new season. He just doesn't want to move his family over just yet.

I'd take him here in a heartbeat.

markie8002000
08-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Another article on Urruti so it seems like he will be here soon http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsentimientodeportivo.com%2F%3Fp%3D5 318&act=url

Oldtimer
08-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Another article on Urruti so it seems like he will be here soon http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsentimientodeportivo.com%2F%3Fp%3D5 318&act=url

Looks pretty legit.

TFC07
08-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Interesting. Definitely think he'd be a good DP signing. Nelly played with him while he was on loan at Blackburn so there might be some truth to it. If it is true, it's funny to see how much they are targeting Argentines. The TFC v. MTL derby could slowly turn into Argentina v. Italy.

I find it odd how TFC is becoming Argentina jr team. We don't even have an Argentinian in TFC FO or coaching staff, so I have no clue why TFC is bent on signing players from Argentina only. Where's this Argentinian obsession coming from?

moralis
08-12-2013, 10:58 AM
It seems Urruti is flying today from Buenos Aires to Canada (Toronto):

Ramiro Porchietti ‏@RamaPorchietti (https://twitter.com/RamaPorchietti) 9m (https://twitter.com/RamaPorchietti/status/366948231059472388) #Newells (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Newells&src=hash) @JPSacchi (https://twitter.com/JPSacchi) en Sueño Deportivo x @delplata1075 (https://twitter.com/delplata1075): Urruti está viajando a Buenos Aires y de allí a Canadá.

https://twitter.com/RamaPorchietti

Anybody know of any flights coming in from Buenos Aires

OgtheDim
08-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Forlan is not Argentinian.

Right now, South America is putting out a lot of players, many of whom would normally be going to Spain or Italy or from Europe back to South America

We offer a pay check that will get paid and a potential path to get (or to get back ) into Europe.

Oldtimer
08-12-2013, 11:02 AM
I find it odd how TFC is becoming Argentina jr team. We don't even have an Argentinian in TFC FO or coaching staff, so I have no clue why TFC is bent on signing players from Argentina only. Where's this Argentinian obsession coming from?

Payne has always focused on Argentina (but not exclusively there), a good place to get decent players at a reasonable cost. They play a stylish football that's fun to watch, too. At DC United he build a Latin-influenced team, adding Americans and others who could play a compatible style. It worked very well: 4 MLS Cups, 4 Supporters' Shields, 5 time Eastern Conference winners, CCC winner 1998 (predecessor to the CCL). It stopped working so well later in the post-DP era, because DC's ownership didn't have the bucks and Payne's team building relies on good players in key positions, supplemented with character role-players.

TFC07
08-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Payne has always focused on Argentina (but not exclusively there), a good place to get decent players at a reasonable cost. They play a stylish football that's fun to watch, too. At DC United he build a Latin-influenced team, adding Americans and others who could play a compatible style. It worked very well: 4 MLS Cups, 4 Supporters' Shields, 5 time Eastern Conference winners, CCC winner 1998 (predecessor to the CCL). It stopped working so well later in the post-DP era, because DC's ownership didn't have the bucks and Payne's team building relies on good players in key positions, supplemented with character role-players.

I get the feeling KP just knows and feels more comfortable signing players from Argentina compare to other Latin American countries (like Colombia) where a lot of MLS teams tend to look/sign players from South America.

Areathrasher
08-12-2013, 11:08 AM
An Air Canada flight from BA via Santiago arrived at 05:05am this morning.

Could already be here...

TFC07
08-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Forlan is not Argentinian.

Right now, South America is putting out a lot of players, many of whom would normally be going to Spain or Italy or from Europe back to South America

We offer a pay check that will get paid and a potential path to get (or to get back ) into Europe.

I think in Forlan case, it's more like he shown interest playing for us (he was very close to signing with us back couple of years ago, but changed his mind in the last minute)

TFC1154ever
08-12-2013, 11:09 AM

Ramiro Porchietti ‏@RamaPorchietti (https://twitter.com/RamaPorchietti) 9m (https://twitter.com/RamaPorchietti/status/366948231059472388) #Newells (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Newells&src=hash) @JPSacchi (https://twitter.com/JPSacchi) en Sueño Deportivo x @delplata1075 (https://twitter.com/delplata1075): Urruti está viajando a Buenos Aires y de allí a Canadá.

Today and tomorrow, both flights from arrive at 5:30 am. So he's either here or he is leaving tonight. Flight takes around 11-12 hours

Today and tomorrow, both flights from arrive at 5:30 am. So he's either here or he is leaving tonight. Flight takes around 11-12 hours

Ivy
08-12-2013, 11:15 AM
I found this interesting... "FIFA says that "players under age 23 with one year or less of contract at other clubs can sign as a free agent."

Voodooman
08-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Ramiro Porchietti ‏@RamaPorchietti (https://twitter.com/RamaPorchietti)9m (https://twitter.com/RamaPorchietti/status/366948231059472388) #Newells (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Newells&src=hash) @JPSacchi (https://twitter.com/JPSacchi) en Sueño Deportivo x @delplata1075 (https://twitter.com/delplata1075): Urruti está viajando a Buenos Aires y de allí a Canadá.

Delta airlines connects from Buenos Aires-Atlanta-Toronto, and they have couple of them set up for today, so possible hes on one of those?

Areathrasher
08-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Could be. Given MLSE's connections to Air Canada I feel like he will be on a First Class seat with them.

Red I
08-12-2013, 11:34 AM
I found this interesting... "FIFA says that "players under age 23 with one year or less of contract at other clubs can sign as a free agent."

What's more interesting is the offers by Toronto to allow NOB to train at the KTG for pre-season... they know NOB is getting hosed, but if you can't lock down an extention and hit that 1 year left on contract mark, really you have no one to blame... Toronto is mending fences, and taking a pretty high road here; that can't be overlooked

moralis
08-12-2013, 11:47 AM
This could just be a mistake, but why would they want to meet with the President of MLS or do they mean with the president of Toronto FC:

Updated news thread of Urruti:

https://twitter.com/search?q=urruti&src=typd&mode=realtime

Ivy
08-12-2013, 11:49 AM
TFC is surely not letting NOB train at Kia from the goodness of their heart. I have a slight feeling that TFC will be targeting other NOB players, and this is an attempt at impressing them.

dantdot
08-12-2013, 11:50 AM
^ they co-opted Garber's private plane g:D

Red I
08-12-2013, 11:57 AM
TFC is surely not letting NOB train at Kia from the goodness of their heart. I have a slight feeling that TFC will be targeting other NOB players, and this is an attempt at impressing them.

Without a doubt; but they are not acting like big-wheels taking advantage of the situation and leaving NOB totally high and dry

Abou Sky
08-12-2013, 12:06 PM
So is this for real?

Ivy
08-12-2013, 12:12 PM
So is this for real?
It looks like it... ALOT of argentine media is saying he's on a plane for Toronto today.

Abou Sky
08-12-2013, 12:17 PM
So Ivy, any chance it would be you that would join Sky & I in Columbus? Would be badass if that was his first game, I will be in DC the weekend after so hopefully I will get to see him play there.

Still wish we could have had Maxi Moralis though... he looks like a magician.

Ivy
08-12-2013, 12:23 PM
So Ivy, any chance it would be you that would join Sky & I in Columbus? Would be badass if that was his first game, I will be in DC the weekend after so hopefully I will get to see him play there.

Still wish we could have had Maxi Moralis though... he looks like a magician.
I wish!! I was planning to go to this game all year, until my lady's friends decided to ruin my plans by getting married and having their stag and bachelorette this weekend.
This is going to be the second time you're going to DC this year eh? Lucky guy :)

Red I
08-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Oye, looks like Newell's still claiming the boy is not free, but doubtful that Urruti comes without getting okay from FIFA...

http://www.rosario3.com/deportes/nob/noticias.aspx?idNot=134213&%E2%80%9CUrruti-no-es-un-esclavo,-pero-Newell%E2%80%99s-no-puede-quedar-perjudicado%E2%80%9D

ensco
08-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Is there an icon or emoticon for a two year old girl who badly wants a pony, but isn't going to get one?

OgtheDim
08-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Until the guy holds up a shirt, its all talk.

Ivy
08-12-2013, 12:32 PM
@mattsoks: Twitter blowing up right now in #Argentina with #Urruti news. Apparently he'll be in #TO tonight or tomorrow. #TFC
So I guess it is the Air Canada flight landing at 5 30am

Pint
08-12-2013, 12:32 PM
How long will it take to get this guy match fit?

Ivy
08-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Is there an icon or emoticon for a two year old girl who badly wants a pony, but isn't going to get one?
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/i-asked-for-a-pony-wtf-is-this.jpg

Red I
08-12-2013, 12:46 PM
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/i-asked-for-a-pony-wtf-is-this.jpg

Metaphor for being a TFC fan from the start... Well Done!!!

markie8002000
08-12-2013, 01:04 PM
According to Emmanuel Quispe whos been one of main people reporting this stuff just said this : #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash): Argentine striker MAXI URRUTI travelling to Canada tonight. Former #Newells (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Newells&src=hash) will sign 2 years and half contract with @TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/torontofc) | @MLS (https://twitter.com/MLS)

T-boy
08-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Dont know much about this guy but a quick look at his wikipedia page doesn't look very impressive. 13 goals out of 92 appearances, and his team before that had only 1 goal after 22 appearances.

We need someone if we are losing brockie, but doesn't sound like he will be very productive

Di Santo is a bit like Heskey - big tall guy, fairly strong, but he brings other players into the game more just with his presence. Doesn't score many goals though. Di Santo is young enough to still improve a lot. We would need a poacher type player alongside him.

notthesun
08-12-2013, 01:12 PM
#confirmed #donedeal #signhimup #UrruT.O.

I'll believe it when he shows up at the press conference.

flatpicker
08-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Heard there's a big sale on F5 keys at Future Shop.
(in case anyone's interested)

69Chevy396
08-12-2013, 01:15 PM
How long will it take to get this guy match fit?
When TFC trades him to another club.:yum:

Voodooman
08-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Heard there's a big sale on F5 keys at Future Shop.
(in case anyone's interested)

Looks like over 100 people looking at this thread are interested

69Chevy396
08-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Well,lets see, oh ya, cause they are good.

flambe
08-12-2013, 01:38 PM
What's more interesting is the offers by Toronto to allow NOB to train at the KTG for pre-season...

Could this be the true inference of that odd "Urruti is buying NOB a gym" comment?

PopePouri
08-12-2013, 01:42 PM
I think it's smart. If you haven't seen, the Argentinian talent pool is large but their league lacks the resources and money to keep that talent. A lot of them leave and go to Brazil or Europe.

I can see many players like Laba being unearthed if we keep looking over there. They won't get a smell of their unbelievable national team but they'll be excellent players.

ag futbol
08-12-2013, 02:10 PM
I think it's smart. If you haven't seen, the Argentinian talent pool is large but their league lacks the resources and money to keep that talent. A lot of them leave and go to Brazil or Europe.

It really is a factory. Next year there will be numerous Laba's and Urruti's floating around with similar stories and transfer prospects. The system is designed for them to produce players, sell them, and then make room for the next group.

Pint
08-12-2013, 02:21 PM
@JohnMolinaro: I could be wrong. But I wouldn't put much stock in these latest Urruti rumours, or so I've been told by my sources. We'll see. #TFC

gcolacci
08-12-2013, 02:24 PM
@JohnMolinaro: I could be wrong. But I wouldn't put much stock in these latest Urruti rumours, or so I've been told by my sources. We'll see. #TFC

I never thought i could die so young. but i am pretty sure this team is doing a number on my heart.

Red I
08-12-2013, 02:26 PM

Source could be plugged and purposefully misinformed - @emaquix seems to know his stuff, tweeted about the Moralez deal falling through when Nelsen was prety much in transit. We'll find out tomorrow

flatpicker
08-12-2013, 02:29 PM

Lord have mercy.

http://thecomicscomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/TRI_FLM_021613_GroundhogDay.jpg

mowe
If he's flying in tonight, he'll probably get his physical done and sign officially tomorrow. Either way we should know something by Wednesday at the latest.

Corpand

Agreed. Quiet on my front. Silence is good right?

Phil
08-12-2013, 02:30 PM
You have to remember that Payne is pretty big into the misleading side talk. If you look at the draft you get a good example of how they operate and feeding lines out about not thinking a player is coming, then having him here is very fitting.

I do find it interesing that the leaks are coming from the other side on this stuff. I would put more into that than a local reporter. After the whole Forlan debacle, I bet heads rolled about leaking info and affecting deals. There are guys who swore there was nothing to it, but I know things were very close a couple times with him. The right thing to do is to stay quiet about players that need to be released or negotiated out of a contract situation.

NolbertoS
08-12-2013, 02:37 PM
I'd tend to believe more of the Argentine reporters than Molinaro. Futbol rumours abound there like crazy compared to here. We've had local newspapers already confirm Urruti is not in the plans for NOB this season. One way or anothet I woulf believe Urruti will be playing in MLS or mexico. Futbol business dealings are more transparent than they are in MLS. I'm betting Urutti is waiting for his transfer deal more than flying here to sign. TFC could've faxed his contract already abd he signed and faxed it back. The transfer letter and NOB putting red tape on it, is whats holding it back.

MartinUtd
08-12-2013, 03:02 PM
I think its interesting seeing the local media shitting on word coming from abroad. Maybe its my rose tinted glasses and desperately hoping for some good news, but I feel there's egg on the faces of the TFC beat reporters and they don't like the idea of outsiders breaking news on their team.

markie8002000
08-12-2013, 03:07 PM
@CLMerlo who is pretty reliable from Argentina just tweeted so we'll see in next couple days...

End Urruti novel: Newell's agreement between # and # Toronto. The club would get u $ s 1M. Maxi travels tonight and signed for two years and a half

Richard
08-12-2013, 03:09 PM
If its 2 1/2 years there better be club options. I hope they can keep him around for 4 years preferably.

Pint
08-12-2013, 03:09 PM
That tweet makes it sounds like we are paying a transfer fee? how are we allowed to do this outside of the transfer window?

Ultra & Proud
08-12-2013, 03:13 PM
That tweet makes it sounds like we are paying a transfer fee? how are we allowed to do this outside of the transfer window?
Some way MLS will justify it. They will either say the paper work was in before the deadline and the legal stuff muddied it up or just say he was a free agent and this is settling out of court money for tampering. If MLS wants it then there are no rules and no deadlines.

ryan
08-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Some way MLS will justify it. They will either say the paper work was in before the deadline and the legal stuff muddied it up or just say he was a free agent and this is settling out of court money for tampering. If MLS wants it then there are no rules and no deadlines.

Even if this is how it plays out, positive for us for a change, I still don't like it.

Why have rules. The fuck is the point.

Super
08-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Even if this is how it plays out, positive for us for a change, I still don't like it.

The MLS is not a real league quite yet. I'd love for us to take the next step and become more legitimate, but we're still being engineered by puppet masters behind the scene. Hopefully soon.

We'll continue to be a Mickey Mouse league as long as we have no transparency and different rules for each club. I just hope we grow up QUICKLY before we lose whatever momentum we're on right now. Personally I have ZERO respect for this league because, well, it's just not a real league - not as I see it. It's fake. One step better than WWF, though. It's all made up and run by the league - not the individual clubs or fans. There's parity in place. Every club is the same. You're rewarded for being shit - given funny allocation money. Who knows how much of that is going around - and how it's truly distributed. I mean, it's beyond ridiculous. We can't sign who we want. Heck, we can't even bid on a player if the league wants him somewhere else (and they're even prepared to pay the transfer fee to bring in stars to our competitors). That's not a real league. That's a complete joke. We need to be loud and clear about this - or it will just continue. I'm holding on to that hope because I'd hate to see football die off again in NA.

Oldtimer
08-12-2013, 03:23 PM

The whole point of having transfer windows is to empower the player. Clubs used to be able to add players all year long, and the transfer windows was invented to lead to more competition for players.

Stopping the Urutti transfer would hurt him, and is against the spirit of having transfer windows.

Oldtimer
08-12-2013, 03:25 PM
The MLS is not a real league quite yet. I'd love for us to take the next step and become more legitimate, but we're still being engineered by puppet masters behind the scene. Hopefully soon.

We'll continue to be a Mickey Mouse league as long as we have no transparency and different rules for each club. I just hope we grow up QUICKLY before we lose whatever momentum we're on right now.

This kind of bending of transfer window rules occurs all the world over, including the EPL. You may have your opinion of MLS, but this particular happening is not a data point to support it.

Super
08-12-2013, 03:32 PM
This kind of bending of transfer window rules occurs all the world over, including the EPL. You may have your opinion of MLS, but this particular happening is not a data point to support it.

Can you cite me a similar case from the EPL that had zero criticism from media or competing clubs?

ProfessorDamage
08-12-2013, 03:32 PM
I think its interesting seeing the local media shitting on word coming from abroad. Maybe its my rose tinted glasses and desperately hoping for some good news, but I feel there's egg on the faces of the TFC beat reporters and they don't like the idea of outsiders breaking news on their team.

Totally agree. Remember this is the same media corps that said Forlan was a done deal, and confused Montreal and TFC on another signing. And that doesn't even get into the real dregs, like Duane Rollins and his goof troop. Sad reality is that if you want football news about what this team is doing, you're best off watching the games yourself and reading about players linked to us in publications abroad.

Milanista
08-12-2013, 03:39 PM
MLS need a strong Toronto team, they will bend any rules to help us out.

Detroit_TFC
08-12-2013, 03:40 PM
MLS has been the way it is since 1996. The likelihood of it turning into something not the MLS is low for the foreseeable future.

But it may now have a set of owners that may want it to be less like MLS than its been in the past. Some significant changes in the next CBA would not surprise me.

Stress
08-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Sometimes, if a club trained a player as a youth, they can argue that they are still entitled to some sort of compensation if a player leaves on a free. Similar situation happened with Junior when he left Blackburn for QPR. I imagine it's something along these lines. TFC probably made it a bit juicier than normal to help speed it up and ensure there was less bad blood. Have to assume it's still less than they were willing to pay a transfer for so they probably don't mind.

Super
08-12-2013, 03:41 PM
MLS need a strong Toronto team, they will bend any rules to help us out.

To me this is kind of like winning a penalty on a dive. Yes, I'll love the goal. But to be honest, that's not the way I want to win. Also, every other team in the league is going to point the finger at us and call us cheaters. And rightfully so. Cheating is cheating. Just because it's sanctioned by the league doesn't make it any less so. In fact, it's worse BECAUSE it's sanctioned by the league. Next they'll help Montreal cheat. Probably already did. Bet you no one here will like that.

Super
08-12-2013, 03:43 PM
MLS has been the way it is since 1996. The likelihood of it turning into something not the MLS is low for the foreseeable future.

But it may now have a set of owners that may want it to be less like MLS than its been in the past. Some significant changes in the next CBA would not surprise me.

I'm holding out hope. It's important to me that I respect this league - so we have to get rid of the cheating. Whether it's cheating to give a smaller club a leg up on richer clubs, buying players for clubs, moving allocation money around to help clubs, telling clubs who they can and can't sign. All of this has to stop. At a minimum.

Oldtimer
08-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Can you cite me a similar case from the EPL that had zero criticism from media or competing clubs?

Zero criticism? No. But then again, the Urutti transfer hasn't happened yet, so we don't know what will happen.

Super
08-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Zero criticism? No. But then again, the Urutti transfer hasn't happened yet, so we don't know what will happen.

I sure do hope we land him, I'd just like to see it done properly and without the league getting involved and bending any rules for us. I don't think that's a great way to grow this league IMHO.

ginkster88
08-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Equimax (or whatever) has also said the Urruti was coming yesterday, or was it the day before, or maybe the day before, or he is on the plane, except he wasn't, was passing a physical or that wasn't true either.

Molinaro has consistently said "there will be no big news from TFC", which has proved to be true in every case (unless you count Rey and Elmer as big signings).

No reason to listen to equimax and doubt Molinaro other than hope.

JoesphNdo
08-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Isn't the transfer window a FIFA regulation, not an MLS one? I don't think MLS are breaking their own rules or showing anyone favourtism if that's the case, if leagues could decide on a case by case basis to abide or not abide the transfer window Europe would be anarchy with leagues bending rules to gain advantages over rival leagues. If Spain just decided to scrap the window they'd have a huge edge over England, for example, and therefore would do better in the UCL and get better TV deals/sponsorship etc

So if this is happening (I'd be surprised if there's even a 50% chance that it is, mind you) I don't think MLS has to answer to anyone for it, it'd be curious as to why TFC would be allowed get away with it though.

mowe
08-12-2013, 03:57 PM
That's not a real league. That's a complete joke. We need to be loud and clear about this - or it will just continue. I'm holding on to that hope because I'd hate to see football die off again in NA.

Starting this year MLS is now the longest surviving soccer league in the US/Canada at 17(!) years. Football is far from dying here, in fact it's growing at a fantastic rate. Sure the MLS could do many things better, but a lot of their "quirks" (like single-entity ownership) were put in place precisely to avoid mistakes of the past. And if nothing else, it's clear they've succeeded. Rewarding crappy teams in the name of parity is a staple of all North American leagues, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. MLS is doing the right thing by going for careful, measured growth. But just look how far we've come in the last ten years. Up to 3 DPs per team, 10 SSS built with 2 more on the way, average attendance up to 18k+, quality of play improving every year, etc. All this in the only country in the world that had to deal with 4 established leagues (plus college sports) that are more popular than soccer.

Detroit_TFC
08-12-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm holding out hope. It's important to me that I respect this league - so we have to get rid of the cheating. Whether it's cheating to give a smaller club a leg up on richer clubs, buying players for clubs, moving allocation money around to help clubs, telling clubs who they can and can't sign. All of this has to stop. At a minimum.

MLS is a franchise operation. The league holds the players rights and the players get paychecks that say MLS, not TFC or whoever. From the league's viewpoint the teams are branch offices. There is nothing like this in a first division anywhere else as far as I know.

Super
08-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Isn't the transfer window a FIFA regulation, not an MLS one? I don't think MLS are breaking their own rules or showing anyone favourtism if that's the case, if leagues could decide on a case by case basis to abide or not abide the transfer window Europe would be anarchy with leagues bending rules to gain advantages over rival leagues. If Spain just decided to scrap the window they'd have a huge edge over England, for example, and therefore would do better in the UCL and get better TV deals/sponsorship etc

So if this is happening (I'd be surprised if there's even a 50% chance that it is, mind you) I don't think MLS has to answer to anyone for it, it'd be curious as to why TFC would be allowed get away with it though.

According to this link it would seem that FIFA mandates 2 yearly transfer windows, but length are up to the national football authorities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window

Allowing one club to close a deal outside the window - and not giving every other club the same possibility - is cheating.

Red I
08-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Equimax (or whatever) has also said the Urruti was coming yesterday, or was it the day before, or maybe the day before, or he is on the plane, except he wasn't, was passing a physical or that wasn't true either.

Molinaro has consistently said "there will be no big news from TFC", which has proved to be true in every case (unless you count Rey and Elmer as big signings).

No reason to listen to equimax and doubt Molinaro other than hope.

It's realistic to believe that Molinaro's sources are within MLSE, and @emaquix's sources are tied to the agents and/or within Newell's. He was one of the first that reported that Nelsen was unable to convince Maxi Moralez to come the day after the friendly, and lo and behold, the coach returns from a trip "overseas" empty-handed.

No reason to think that everything that comes from this guy is 100% accurate, but there are reasons to listen...

Detroit_TFC
08-12-2013, 04:01 PM
I say this mainly for the point that it is difficult to judge how MLS functions by comparing it to how anybody else functions. There are some things that make sense and others than don't.

miker
08-12-2013, 04:08 PM
According to this link it would seem that FIFA mandates 2 yearly transfer windows, but length are up to the national football authorities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window

Allowing one club to close a deal outside the window - and not giving every other club the same possibility - is cheating.

Not to defend the league, but I suspect they would give other teams the same leeway if they were in a similar situation - i.e. had a negotiating history with a player/team and had complexities at the deadline. Might also be partly payback for not being allowed to sign Dempsey or Melberg or maybe giving Silva to MLS as some sort of payoff for getting Payne .... yeah, kinda yucky!

Super
08-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Starting this year MLS is now the longest surviving soccer league in the US/Canada at 17(!) years. Football is far from dying here, in fact it's growing at a fantastic rate. Sure the MLS could do many things better, but a lot of their "quirks" (like single-entity ownership) were put in place precisely to avoid mistakes of the past. And if nothing else, it's clear they've succeeded. Rewarding crappy teams in the name of parity is a staple of all North American leagues, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. MLS is doing the right thing by going for careful, measured growth. But just look how far we've come in the last ten years. Up to 3 DPs per team, 10 SSS built with 2 more on the way, average attendance up to 18k+, quality of play improving every year, etc. All this in the only country in the world that had to deal with 4 established leagues (plus college sports) that are more popular than soccer.

But all of this means absolutely nothing if cheating becomes part of every day life in this league. Also, please understand that not everyone is of the opinion that this league is growing at the right pace. It's not Garber who created the Whitecaps, Sounders, Timbers, Impact, TFC. The FANS made them successes. Just like the fans made TFC a success - not MLSE. To me this league is run by people who are trying to force things to happen, trying to engineer the rules so certain teams will win, and others won't. How do you do that? Well, you can buy players for clubs (Dempsey). Or hand out allocation cash to clubs (no one will know how much they're giving out). Or you can tell clubs they can't sign certain players, too. All of this is definitely going to hurt this game in the long run. Ask Portland fans what they think about Dempsey - they're pretty mad about it. More of this sort of bush league stuff is going to hurt the league, not help it.

Red I
08-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Not to defend the league, but I suspect they would give other teams the same leeway if they were in a similar situation - i.e. had a negotiating history with a player/team and had complexities at the deadline. Might also be partly payback for not being allowed to sign Dempsey or Melberg or maybe giving Silva to MLS as some sort of payoff for getting Payne .... yeah, kinda yucky!

It's not a thing. Grant Whal is reporting there are discrepancies with what MLSPU is reporting as Depseys salary and what source tells him it is, and that's not a thing. We have no idea the details of the deal, and if Urruti comes here on a free or is under contract. We also have no idea he will be here.
Might be prudent to wait for dust to settle before we start asking questions

Oranje
08-12-2013, 04:20 PM
@emaquix: I met w URRUTI before signing his contract w #TorontoFC at noon in BsAs. 1st interview w New #TFC DP soon @futbolMLS http://t.co/Jd1eMEobgT

Just tweeted

ag futbol
08-12-2013, 04:21 PM
It's not a thing. Grant Whal is reporting there are discrepancies with what MLSPU is reporting as Depseys salary and what source tells him it is, and that's not a thing. We have no idea the details of the deal, and if Urruti comes here on a free or is under contract. We also have no idea he will be here.
Might be prudent to wait for dust to settle before we start asking questions
To me, this all really points to conflicting interests at the ownership level. The league as a whole wants to limit spending, but owners want to push through for their own reasons. Therefore rules get broken for the sake of getting things done.

If the MLSPU don't take a chuck out of the next CBA I'd be surprised.

TFC07
08-12-2013, 04:22 PM
@emaquix: I met w URRUTI before signing his contract w #TorontoFC at noon in BsAs. 1st interview w New #TFC DP soon @futbolMLS http://t.co/Jd1eMEobgT

Just tweeted

Okay, I would take his word and get excited of this signing now. Urruti and Earnshaw up front should be interesting duo to watch.

NolbertoS
08-12-2013, 04:23 PM
I think TFC geased NOB as much as they could. If they didn't, I'm sure Boca, River and the other big clubs would've joined in with NOB. And for all those saying its dirty to sign players after a transfer window closes, I'm sure TFC and NOB, bypassed the legal rangling of FIFA to get this done. I doubt Garber and MLS woulf stop a club of contracting a player outside of the transfer window if the documentation is in order anf legally sound. I await Urutti to arrive soon. Cool that TFC are becoming AFA buddies. I'd say TFC should start greasing , FPF, Ecuafutbol, Chile, AUF and the rest of the South American continent except Brasil, as I'm sure the clubs there would rathet sell to Europe.

dantdot
08-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Well, that's not official but as good as you'll get from a tweet. Glad we got him.

tfcmanu
08-12-2013, 04:24 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRf0rnNCUAAwrHS.jpg:large

Urruti Leaving fo Toronto

Red I
08-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Okay, I would take his word and get excited of this signing now. Urruti and Earnshaw up front should be interesting duo to watch.

DP, eh? Interesting... pretty sure Payne stated he would not be a DP

EDIT: be interested to see what changed

Pint
08-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Young DP if he does come in as a DP

andmat
08-12-2013, 04:31 PM
I don't think he comes in as a DP this is where the allocation money comes in.

notthesun
08-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Wow is this actually happening? I was starting to think that Quispe guy was checking the incoming flights at Pearson and claiming each one from Argentina had Urruti on it, but a picture is worth a thousand words as they say...

Areathrasher
08-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Shit just got real folks.

gcolacci
08-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Shit just got real folks.
Now we know what he'll be wearing geting off the plane. Everyone Airport Shifts!

OgtheDim
08-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Oh I don't know people..........I'm getting second thoughts about him.

The buttons on that shirt are pretty big.

OK, it is a slim fit, and does fit him nice if I do say so.

And its all very Argentinian blue, which goes well with his dark top heavy but slightly balding pate. (EEK)

But it obviously not seen an iron in a long time.

Ultimately, can we trust a guy who does his own laundry?

:toetap05:

bones
08-12-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm starting to wonder if the whole public discussion by KP about Urruti was to prevent another closed door "no you can't have him" Mellberg incident. Think about it, why would KP go out on public record that they're after a player on multiple occasions? Don't you normally keep your interests very quiet or deflect with lies to keep other interests away from that player? hmmmm.

Solo La Maglia
08-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Now we know what he'll be wearing geting off the plane. Everyone Airport Shifts!

bahahahaha

Red I
08-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Anyone use Photoshop? You could easliy turn the pic into a meme...

Walms
08-12-2013, 04:58 PM
I feel like we have been waiting for him to "get off the plane" since my first swim at the cottage this year, can we finally stop holding our breath yet?

ag futbol
08-12-2013, 05:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UWxYMfH.gif

Slick
08-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Duane Rollins ‏@24thminute (https://twitter.com/24thminute) 19m (https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/367040646818701312) Maxi Urruti has a 1:5 strike rate since 2011. #nojudgementjustfacts (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23nojudgementjustfacts&src=hash) #tfc (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash)

Duane is such a tool.

ManUtd4ever
08-12-2013, 05:17 PM
TFC beat writers are a joke.

Alonso
08-12-2013, 05:21 PM
To me, this all really points to conflicting interests at the ownership level. The league as a whole wants to limit spending, but owners want to push through for their own reasons. Therefore rules get broken for the sake of getting things done.

If the MLSPU don't take a chuck out of the next CBA I'd be surprised.

I smell a standoff and strike/lockout looming...

CBA goes until March 2015, so we are looking at 1.5 years before this comes to a head.

Players will want more with the proven sustained growth of the league, I'm not sure what will go down, but if the players win, the small markets will lose and be in peril. If the league wins I don't see us getting to be one of the best leagues in the world by 2020. Something has to give. We either leave the smaller markets behind or come up with a solution.

Just throwing this out there: I could see a two tiered league with relegation and promotion as a possible solution to keeping the San Jose's and Columbus' within the league and at the same time adding markets like Miami, Tampa, Ottawa, Edmonton, St. Louis etc.... A single entity league with a higher salary cap for MLS and a lower one for MLS2 and teams relegated having to give up salary cap to teams being promoted. This allows a mechanism for smaller markets to grow and garner a fan base and market that could possibly allow for them to compete with bigger markets. Makes for a way more interesting league if you ask me.

69Chevy396
08-12-2013, 05:21 PM
TFC beat writers are a joke.
I bet few, if any of us have actually watched Urruti play. Wiki reports 12 goals in 57 games. Do you expect media types to jump on the homer wagon so quickly?

dantdot
08-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Best to ignore Duane, he's convinced Payne is the next Mo and will say anything to convince himself of this.

No shit he scored most of his goals in garbage time, he only started 6 games in the Torneo Final.

Ultra & Proud
08-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Duane Rollins ‏@24thminute (https://twitter.com/24thminute) 19m (https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/367040646818701312) Maxi Urruti has a 1:5 strike rate since 2011. #nojudgementjustfacts (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23nojudgementjustfacts&src=hash) #tfc (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash)

He also doesn't start and often gets a handful of minutes per app. Not fair for Duane to judge a strike rate for a young player who comes off the bench.

You know who once had a strike rate of almost 1:10? Wondo. Then he moved to SJ, got more minutes and the rest is history.

PopePouri
08-12-2013, 05:26 PM

Duane is such a tool.

No surprise Mariner leaked the scouting report to Duane.

69Chevy396
08-12-2013, 05:31 PM
He also doesn't start and often gets a handful of minutes per app. Not fair for Duane to judge a strike rate for a young player who comes off the bench.

You know who once had a strike rate of almost 1:10? Wondo. Then he moved to SJ, got more minutes and the rest is history.
He is not judging, just reporting the facts. Nobody can predict how good or bad Urruti will be. We have seen plenty of this before, but hopefully this guy will pan out. I suppose the best test will be comparing his stats to Silva's over the next year.

Greatest Ripoff
08-12-2013, 05:34 PM

Duane is such a tool.

As a 20-22 year old in a league much better than MLS.

Let's hope that tweet goes down much like this one.

"The 2012 Montreal Impact will finish season with 10 points. Save this Tweet."

Ultra & Proud
08-12-2013, 05:36 PM
He is not judging, just reporting the facts. Nobody can predict how good or bad Urruti will be. We have seen plenty of this before, but hopefully this guy will pan out. I suppose the best test will be comparing his stats to Silva's over the next year.
Clearly implied though.

dantdot
08-12-2013, 05:37 PM
He reported the facts alright, clearly misleading facts.

Ivy
08-12-2013, 05:39 PM
There needs to be a forum rule that Rollins is not allowed to be quoted here. That guy makes my blood boil.

Alonso
08-12-2013, 05:41 PM
There needs to be a forum rule that Rollins is not allowed to be quoted here. That guy makes my blood boil.

I second the motion.

Ultra & Proud
08-12-2013, 05:42 PM
I suppose the best test will be comparing his stats to Silva's over the next year.
Not really since he is younger but we'll see I guess. It's at least a move in the right direction. Now onto this other supposed upcoming signing. That is the more interesting question.

Red I
08-12-2013, 05:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UWxYMfH.gif

Sweet...

dantdot
08-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Same SA journo corrected himself, said he won't be a DP. As expected.

Areathrasher
08-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Laba was scouted. Paid a hefty fee for him too. That's working out ok.

Don't see why some people have to rush judgement on Urruti.

Milanista
08-12-2013, 05:50 PM
So if we get this guy and he is not a DP...wonder how good this team can be once we get our DP's? I think next season we might actually be good and the start of a nice team coming together

Pint
08-12-2013, 05:55 PM
@emaquix: UPDATE #TFC: New #TorontoFC signing MAXI URRUTI arrives in Toronto at 9am tomorrow | #MLS

OgtheDim
08-12-2013, 06:00 PM

Duane is such a tool.

Canadian Soccer News....Says it all right there.

He's not really a TFC beat writer.

Ivy
08-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Which puts him on which flight? (Comon airways specialists, do your forensics)

OgtheDim
08-12-2013, 06:04 PM
He is not judging, just reporting the facts. Nobody can predict how good or bad Urruti will be. ...

He pretty much is.....look at his retweets.

He's all over the garbage goals thing.

And now this gem.

I'd take Barrett. At least you know what you're getting.

He's trolling.

trane
08-12-2013, 06:08 PM
I prefer the buying your players. With young players there are risks. The strike rate, while the most important single factor for a striker, can hardly be judged by goals to games, when a player is not getting steady minutes, and is mostly coming in late. a goal to minutes played may be a bit more telling, but the proof will be in the pudding.

mattsoks
08-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Which puts him on which flight? (Comon airways specialists, do your forensics)

Emmanuel Quispe ‏@emaquix (https://twitter.com/emaquix)

UPDATE #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash): New #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) signing MAXI URRUTI arrives in Toronto at 9am tomorrow | #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash)

The only scheduled flight from BA tomorrow is AC093 which is suppose to arrive at 5:39am. However, the GTAA site lists it as delayed currently....

Ivy
08-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Probably because it's a connecting flight. GTAA only shows where the plane's last stop was.

Detroit_TFC
08-12-2013, 06:23 PM
There is a direct flight from BA to Atlanta that gets in 6 am. Air Canada flight from Atlanta that leaves at 6:30 am and gets in to Pearson at 8:39 am. Plausible.

Super
08-12-2013, 06:24 PM
This is very exciting news! I agree with Payne, I think Urutti has potential to become a great striker in this league. Of course, I've said that many times over the years about new TFC players, but it's still good to feel optimistic/happy about anything TFC :D

mattsoks
08-12-2013, 06:26 PM
There is a direct flight from BA to Atlanta that gets in 6 am. Air Canada flight from Atlanta that leaves at 6:30 am and gets in to Pearson at 8:39 am. Plausible.

Sounds very plausible indeed...

Ivy
08-12-2013, 06:28 PM
DELTA

DL5031

ATLANTA

Aug 13, 09:35

Aug 13, 09:35

On Time Term

inal 3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delta Air Lines Flight 110

EZE - 8:25 pm - Mon Aug 19 Ezeiza (near Buenos Aires), Argentina
Ministro Pistarini International Airport

http://secure.redtag.ca/air/public/images/icons/before-arrow.png 10h 33m http://secure.redtag.ca/air/public/images/icons/after-arrow.png

Coach (V)
Boeing 767 Passenger

ATL - 5:58 am - Tue Aug 20 Atlanta, GA
Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport

Layover Time - 1h 27m

Overnight flight

http://secure.redtag.ca/air/public/images/carrier/icon/small/DL.jpg
Delta Air Lines Flight 5031
Operated by EXPRESSJET DBA DELTA CONNECTION
ATL - 7:25 am - Tue Aug 20 Atlanta, GA
Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport

http://secure.redtag.ca/air/public/images/icons/before-arrow.png 2h 10m http://secure.redtag.ca/air/public/images/icons/after-arrow.png

Coach (V)
Canadair Regional Jet 900

YYZ - 9:35 am - Tue Aug 20 Toronto, ON
Lester B. Pearson International Airport

Ivy
08-12-2013, 06:30 PM
You guys are a bunch of creepers... :o

Haddy
08-12-2013, 06:31 PM
I smell a standoff and strike/lockout looming...

CBA goes until March 2015, so we are looking at 1.5 years before this comes to a head.

Players will want more with the proven sustained growth of the league, I'm not sure what will go down, but if the players win, the small markets will lose and be in peril. If the league wins I don't see us getting to be one of the best leagues in the world by 2020. Something has to give. We either leave the smaller markets behind or come up with a solution.

The salary cap should, and I hope will, change. But even the lowliest clubs can afford it to be tripled. Let's be real, $10 million is still pocket change.

69Chevy396
08-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Not really since he is younger but we'll see I guess. It's at least a move in the right direction. Now onto this other supposed upcoming signing. That is the more interesting question.
I have been posting for years re my desire for SA players, but I am not going to get too excited until I have seen himon the pitch. What other signing are u talking about?

mowe
08-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Payne said they're hoping for a signing this week and one next week. So far no rumours on who the other player is. Could possibly be someone who joins in January.

NolbertoS
08-12-2013, 06:39 PM
So has Molinaro, still say Urruti ain't happening?? I think Molinaro eill have his pride wounded that an Argentine reporter scooped this story over him. So now, all eyes will be on Forlan, I bet. Any other Argentine agents have connections with Forlan??

markie8002000
08-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Payne said they're hoping for a signing this week and one next week. So far no rumours on who the other player is. Could possibly be someone who joins in January.

I thought he said 1 week then 2 weeks... but you could be right

mattsoks
08-12-2013, 06:41 PM
What's the thinking on the 9:30 flight? Is that the only one that really makes sense?

Ivy
08-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Molinaro should not be hurt or wounded if/when Urruti signs. Payne prides himself on running a tight ship in terms of names, and Im sure all the Toronto journalists will feel the after shock because of what happened with Forlan (which isn't happening BTW)

Alonso
08-12-2013, 06:43 PM
So has Molinaro, still say Urruti ain't happening?? I think Molinaro eill have his pride wounded that an Argentine reporter scooped this story over him. So now, all eyes will be on Forlan, I bet. Any other Argentine agents have connections with Forlan??

Molinaro seems like a pretty humble guy, I'm sure that he won't be too bothered by it.

He said as much in his tweet when he said he could be wrong... being wrong is not something Molinaro considers himself above unlike say Rollins for instance.

69Chevy396
08-12-2013, 06:44 PM
So has Molinaro, still say Urruti ain't happening?? I think Molinaro eill have his pride wounded that an Argentine reporter scooped this story over him. So now, all eyes will be on Forlan, I bet. Any other Argentine agents have connections with Forlan??Well, Forlan in Jan makes sense. First, he is still an amazing player (better than Dempsey).
Second, mlse will use him to both sell more season tickets for 2014, and as a pretext to jack up the prices.

Pint
08-12-2013, 06:46 PM
I thought he said 1 week then 2 weeks... but you could be right

I remember him saying one this week and one next week... ill try and find the interview

*** here it is *** around the 35 second mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1FV00jRDlk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUc1qA_64TEqAX9pnGJOO0Dw

19Barrett19
08-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Osorio is a class act sitting in front of him while he talks to my 2 boys at Mississauga SC I'm gonna ask him if he's met urruti ;)

flatpicker
08-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Well, Forlan in Jan makes sense. First, he is still an amazing player (better than Dempsey).
Second, mlse will use him to both sell more season tickets for 2014, and as a pretext to jack up the prices.

Well, season ticket renewals are what... in October? Not sure why the promise of a guy that's never played a game for us would make that much difference to STH numbers.

OgtheDim
08-12-2013, 06:59 PM
You guys are a bunch of creepers... :o

Hey, don't knock it...gathering information pays well, especially when its the government wanting you to do it. :canada:

ManUtd4ever
08-12-2013, 07:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CVh8hBMJJg

jloome
08-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Molinaro seems like a pretty humble guy, I'm sure that he won't be too bothered by it.

He said as much in his tweet when he said he could be wrong... being wrong is not something Molinaro considers himself above unlike say Rollins for instance.
Well said.

ManUtd4ever
08-12-2013, 07:20 PM
A more accurate analysis...
Rudi Schuller ‏@RudiSchuller 1h (https://twitter.com/RudiSchuller/status/367061188355436544) Per Soccerway, Maximiliano Urruti scored 1 goal per 162 minutes in league play in 2012-13. He made 22 of 29 appearances off the bench. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

69Chevy396
08-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Well, season ticket renewals are what... in October? Not sure why the promise of a guy that's never played a game for us would make that much difference to STH numbers.
If he is signed before the end of the season they will market the shit out of him; not about his playing, about his signing. Forlan is a soccer superstar particularily in SA and latin American ex pats living in the gta.

miker
08-12-2013, 07:32 PM
This is a situation with a lot of potential - a young guy with the talent to get regular time, put balls in the net and make a name for himself. I've got a hunch he'll do really well. Kudos to Payne et al if they actually get him.

69Chevy396
08-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Lets just see if he is better than the legion of bums we have witnessed over the years.

WestStandGeoff
08-12-2013, 07:35 PM

Rudi Schuller ‏@RudiSchuller 1h (https://twitter.com/RudiSchuller/status/367061188355436544) Per Soccerway, Maximiliano Urruti scored 1 goal per 162 minutes in league play in 2012-13. He made 22 of 29 appearances off the bench. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

His ESPN bio has his making 21 of 28 appearances off the bench, plus another 6 appearances in Copa all off the bench. I'll take Rudi's workd for it on the rate per minutes... translates to 1:1.8 strike rate when adjusted to 90 minutes.

http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/158081/maximiliano-urruti?cc=5901

ArmenJBX
08-12-2013, 07:45 PM
I think, with Maxi Urruti, we won't know what we're getting until he's here. Obviously, Toronto FC sees something in him to have pursued him for this long without giving up, especially with all the obstacles they've had to face along the way. Based on Matias Laba's performance at the club, I imagine Urruti could very well go the same way, performing well enough to warrant praise but not scoring at the same rate as, say, Koevermans. I do believe that with Urruti and Earnshaw up top, Toronto FC are a much more dangerous team than with Brockie and Wiedeman, and I hope Urruti can score plenty of goals.

It'll be interesting to see how Toronto FC handles the next offseason too. We didn't such much inter-league trades this time around, which I thought we would. All I know is, the Spanish/Latin contingent at Toronto FC is certainly a welcome change, as they play a much more technical style, something the league is moving towards.

We'll just have to wait and see!

TFC07
08-12-2013, 08:11 PM
I think, with Maxi Urruti, we won't know what we're getting until he's here. Obviously, Toronto FC sees something in him to have pursued him for this long without giving up, especially with all the obstacles they've had to face along the way. Based on Matias Laba's performance at the club, I imagine Urruti could very well go the same way, performing well enough to warrant praise but not scoring at the same rate as, say, Koevermans. I do believe that with Urruti and Earnshaw up top, Toronto FC are a much more dangerous team than with Brockie and Wiedeman, and I hope Urruti can score plenty of goals.

It'll be interesting to see how Toronto FC handles the next offseason too. We didn't such much inter-league trades this time around, which I thought we would. All I know is, the Spanish/Latin contingent at Toronto FC is certainly a welcome change, as they play a much more technical style, something the league is moving towards.

We'll just have to wait and see!

That's because MLS based players that we have acquired from signings and trades haven't panned out for us . This is one area Payne and co have failed. Our international signings have worked out for most part at least so that's great news for us. I hope we get better domestic players outside of young kids (like Osorio). Guys like Braun and Wiederman should be waived by end of the season.

Ivy
08-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Doesn't anyone have any friends that work at Pearson?

pdogg
08-12-2013, 08:31 PM
That's because MLS based players that we have acquired from signings and trades haven't panned out for us . This is one area Payne and co have failed. Our international signings have worked out for most part at least so that's great news for us. I hope we get better domestic players outside of young kids (like Osorio). Guys like Braun and Wiederman should be waived by end of the season.

Maund was shipped out for Braun... that's a wash. Johnson/Kocic for Bendik/(Bekker)... I think that might be even, but time will tell. Califf didn't pan out, Agboss is a project, Cesar didn't work out. Convey and Thomas are depth, and what we need for now. I don't think they've done a spectacular job, but to me it doesn't look like they've exactly failed either.

To grab MLS players you need to pick up players when other teams are vulnerable. Right now we're the vulnerable ones and in no position to trade what little assets we have (See Silva). So for now, we have to play the allocation game and pick up lower league players until we build that base. All the allocation may not even go to one of our players, we could trade it right back somewhere else to a team that needs it and pick an asset up that way (see Silva in reverse).

brad
08-12-2013, 08:33 PM

Better than a goal every other game which is the common measure of a quality forward.

TFC07
08-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Maund was shipped out for Braun... that's a wash. Johnson/Kocic for Bendik/(Bekker)... I think that might be even, but time will tell. Califf didn't pan out, Agboss is a project, Cesar didn't work out. Convey and Thomas are depth, and what we need for now. I don't think they've done a spectacular job, but to me it doesn't look like they've exactly failed either.

To grab MLS players you need to pick up players when other teams are vulnerable. Right now we're the vulnerable ones and in no position to trade what little assets we have (See Silva). So for now, we have to play the allocation game and pick up lower league players until we build that base. All the allocation may not even go to one of our players, we could trade it right back somewhere else to a team that needs it and pick an asset up that way (see Silva in reverse).

Bendik is only player who has been good for us, but I feel Kocic is better goal keeper than Bendik and Frei. We should have kept Kocic! M

Convey isn't a depth player based how much he's making while Braun has been useless and his contact is expensive. These guys aren't young players like Agboss so we should except more from them especially how much money they're making.

TFC07
08-12-2013, 08:35 PM

I know someone working at Pearson, but she isn't working tomorrow though.

brad
08-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Bendik is only player who has been good for us, but I feel Kocic is better goal keeper than Bendik and Frei. We should have kept Kocic! M

Convey isn't a depth player based how much he's making while Braun has been useless and his contact is expensive. These guys aren't young players like Agboss so we should except more from them especially how much money they're making.

Convey is looking decent. He was a very good MLS player - hopefully he is getting his mojo back.

OgtheDim
08-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Convey isn't depth. He's an MLS domestic starter. Probably not worth that amount but he's more than depth.

TFC07
08-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Convey is looking decent. He was a very good MLS player - hopefully he is getting his mojo back.

Convey is going to be left behind if TFC can find one more winger or attacking mid (so we can move Osorio back as a winger). Currently, Convey makes $200K. That is awful value for player of his quality on this team.

Marc"2L"
08-12-2013, 08:55 PM

Your best bet would be the connection in Atlanta for the Delta flight, they won't be thinking that somebody will be looking out for him.

But honestly, I think the F5 brigade can stand down for this one. It seems like its done and dusted. Now we just have to judge his facial expression when he holds up the shirt.

Signing number 2 "Nex Weak" I think his name was...
Does anybody have a scouting report?

edit: expression is scacasm, relax, let's wait till the dude plays some soccer.

Wull
08-12-2013, 10:08 PM
I can't believe anyone is even discussing our goalkeeper situation. I'll take any combination of Frei, Kocic or Bendik

Relja
08-12-2013, 10:15 PM
I can't believe anyone is even discussing our goalkeeper situation. I'll take any combination of Frei, Kocic or Bendik

Kocic is gone. Thats how we got Bendik. But yes I think we are good in Goal for now.

Marc"2L"
08-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Hmm, just noticed this

http://www.mlssoccer.com/stats/team
we have the fewest shots on goal in the league.

2 less than both Chivas and DC.
On topic, because I hope Urruti can hit the target.

flatpicker
08-12-2013, 10:50 PM
^ That does not surprise me at all.
It often seems like our guys are afraid to take a shot on net.

TFC Kevin
08-12-2013, 10:54 PM

I agree, they seem hesitant/afraid and when they do shoot, it's wide.

SKB
08-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Convey is going to be left behind if TFC can find one more winger or attacking mid (so we can move Osorio back as a winger). Currently, Convey makes $200K. That is awful value for player of his quality on this team.

I am not sure it is a good idea to move Orosio to the wing, he has scored most of his goals when he is at centre mid. In fact I do not think we need an attacking mid, we have one, Orosio. I want a speedy left winger to replace Convey.

Abou Sky
08-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Laba was scouted. Paid a hefty fee for him too. That's working out ok.

Don't see why some people have to rush judgement on Urruti.

If Urruti is as good of a striker as Laba is a Holding Mid we are freaking golden!

markie8002000
08-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Just talked to one of the reporters in Argentina and he says MLS and Newells seems to have an arrangement to avoid court...

BuSaPuNk
08-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Just talked to one of the reporters in Argentina and he says MLS and Newells seems to have an arrangement to avoid court...

Must have been the kick back from Garber for us allowing Dempsey to go to Seattle.

Wolves_On_Tour
08-13-2013, 07:16 AM
So has his flight landed yet? Is he currently roller blading to BMO? :p

Ivy
08-13-2013, 07:24 AM
9 35am. Terminal 3. Be a team player and go scout it out.

pdogg
08-13-2013, 07:35 AM

But the point of it is that the market for outstanding MLS players is thin, so when you're just brought on to manage a team with a horrendous cap situation, you have to take the deals that are available at that moment. With the exception of Convey, most were picked up within the first few weeks/months of management being brought in. The only trades we've had were hardly failures. Cesar and and Califf were picked up after being waived and we didn't lose anything in taking a flyer on them. Right now, the only one that stands out is the Silva trade where more quality went the other way, but the lack of transparency means we have no idea how much allocation came back our way.

There aren't teams out there just willing to give up quality players in exchange for our Halls, Weidemans, Bruans and Lambes. The only thing we have is allocation, draft picks and allocation picks. That's why I don't think it's a failure on the trade market - we have very little to trade with.

pdogg
08-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Kocic is gone. Thats how we got Bendik. But yes I think we are good in Goal for now.

We have been exceptionally blessed in goal for years - that is the one position that has been above average consistently with Frei, Kocic and Bendik.

Wolves_On_Tour
08-13-2013, 07:38 AM
I would, with a sign saying "Worst Team In The World"
http://www.merchandisingplaza.com/images/products/30982/img2.jpg

Alas.....work continues to get in the way

Detroit_TFC
08-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Must have been the kick back from Garber for us allowing Dempsey to go to Seattle.

It may or may not be, but if MLS greased this with NOB, that is tremendous good fortune for us. NOB could have stalled this for months more.

Pint
08-13-2013, 08:01 AM
It will be interesting to see if they call a press conference for this signing or if it is the typical press release with him holding his jersey

Ivy
08-13-2013, 08:05 AM
No presser for Laba, doubt they'll be one for this

Wolves_On_Tour
08-13-2013, 08:10 AM
I would be surprised if there is no presser.....this has had high media visibility and has been nothing but negative press so far. It would be astonishing if ML$E doesn't try to save face by means of a presser saying "Told ya so"

Areathrasher
08-13-2013, 08:11 AM
So do we think he will be taken straight to KTG for medical/paperwork etc or be given a few hours to sleep in a hotel first?

First option we should get an announcement this afternoon. Second one tonight/tomorrow.

Haddy
08-13-2013, 08:13 AM
I would be surprised if there is no presser.....this has had high media visibility and has been nothing but negative press so far. It would be astonishing if ML$E doesn't try to save face by means of a presser saying "Told ya so"

Presser for whomever they sign next week to help sell tickets.

Nothing for Urutti.

Phil
08-13-2013, 08:25 AM
My guess is that *if* he actually is here and signs, it would be a picture with the shirt.

prizby
08-13-2013, 08:30 AM

haha you also think he's coming via atlanta; i looked up the timing's of the flights; that was a tight connection through atlanta (especially since the delta flight leaving buenos aires was delayed)

bones
08-13-2013, 08:31 AM

Hmmm, United Airlines UA-846 landed 5:44am at Newark (from BA) and we all know TFC like Porter so Newark to Toronto City Center airport is a possibility and close to BMO. :)

OgtheDim
08-13-2013, 08:33 AM
No presser for Laba, doubt they'll be one for this

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/04/27/matias-laba-press-conference-april-27-2013

bones
08-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Hmmm, United Airlines UA-846 landed 5:44am at Newark (from BA) and we all know TFC like Porter so Newark to Toronto City Center airport is a possibility and close to BMO. :)

And Porter flight PD-118 from Newark to YTZ landed at 8:25am this morning :)

prizby
08-13-2013, 08:37 AM

and united had a plane expected to land at Pearson from Newark at 8:59am (delayed and landed just now at 9:34am)

prizby
08-13-2013, 08:38 AM
and united had a plane expected to land at Pearson from Newark at 8:59am (delayed and landed just now at 9:34am)

and last report (futbolMLS guy in Argentina) had him landing in Toronto at 9am

bones
08-13-2013, 08:40 AM

Dude is late already??? Not another lazy Robert??? ;)

Ivy
08-13-2013, 08:41 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/04/27/matias-laba-press-conference-april-27-2013
Ill eat my words :)
i was thinking that there was no "secret" press conference - in a sense that we all knew Laba was signed before the presser. Sowwy :)

mastermixer
08-13-2013, 08:42 AM
My guess is that *if* he actually is here and signs, it would be a picture with the shirt.

That would be the proper thing to do, it would help to keep this poor guys hype down to a reasonable level. However I see TFC doing it big for some reason.

Dreadlocks
08-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Does anyone have any info on who this other target is? Figured there would be a leak by now.

Milanista
08-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Leiwike on fan 590 at 11am

Relja
08-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Now I know we are dead set on Urruti, but has anyone thought about possibly picking up Marko Pantelic? He just left Olympiacos?

ProfessorDamage
08-13-2013, 09:16 AM

Over the past several years, I've found myself screaming "SHOOT!!!" at almost every home game, when the opportunity (or even the chance for an opportunity) is clearly visible to both me and the player. I don't know why they're so afraid to shoot. Is it the giving up of possession? Get good at winning the ball, then, and you can get it right back. Put something, anything on net, and eventually they'll start going in.

ProfessorDamage
08-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Leiwike on fan 590 at 11am

The forecast calls for bluster and hot winds blowing.

BFin
08-13-2013, 09:30 AM
haha you also think he's coming via atlanta; i looked up the timing's of the flights; that was a tight connection through atlanta (especially since the delta flight leaving buenos aires was delayed)

I don't even look at my own flights this closely. Creepy.

ManUtd4ever
08-13-2013, 09:41 AM
This is encouraging...
Bill Ault ‏@bill_ault 8m (https://twitter.com/bill_ault/status/367291997427482625) If you were to remove Koeverman's salary from #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) pay structure, team becomes one of the lower total salary totals in the league...

T-boy
08-13-2013, 09:47 AM
This is the today...I can feel it....that....absolutely nothing happens yet again! Woopee!