PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Jack
05-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Totally agree with this. Big question is what type of player would we go after? Would it be a massive superstar player who is good and has some sale value (Henry) or on the decline but has massive sale value (Beckham) or a really good player who hasn't got as big a name but is the better player at this stage of his career (Keane). Should be interesting to see how this shakes out over the next year.

They will probably go for the big sale value guy first, then try to attract the really good player on his coattails. At least, that seems like a smart strategy to me. I mean, imagine researching TFC as a player, who would come?

lanarkist
05-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Totally agree with this. Big question is what type of player would we go after? Would it be a massive superstar player who is good and has some sale value (Henry) or on the decline but has massive sale value (Beckham) or a really good player who hasn't got as big a name but is the better player at this stage of his career (Keane). Should be interesting to see how this shakes out over the next year.

More interesting is how this shakes out over the next 6-8 weeks. I have no doubt that if they are going to make a splash it happens immediately so that Leiweke makes a statement, not just for TFC but for his tenure at MLSE as a whole. I think the common ground with all those players you listed is not their calibre or sale value, but the attraction it creates to lure in other high calibre players. I doubt Keane would have ever gone to LA without Becks, likewise for Califf/Juninho if it were not for Henry. We can argue whether its better for TFC to lure in star power to put the team on the map again or high calibre to help the team compete, but either outcome increases the likelihood that others follow to Toronto.

Ultra & Proud
05-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Not that Tevez would happen but a guy like that would surely help bring the Urrutis, Lopez's, and Peralta's of that part of the world back into the picture. Besides the advertising value, nailing down a bigger name Latin player may help open some more doors down there. Not sure about advertising down there. LA was all in for Asia. Maybe there are opportunities in South America?

gdg_9
05-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Not that Tevez would happen but a guy like that would surely help bring the Urrutis, Lopez's, and Peralta's of that part of the world back into the picture. Besides the advertising value, nailing down a bigger name Latin player may help open some more doors down there. Not sure about advertising down there. LA was all in for Asia. Maybe there are opportunities in South America?

One-two punch???

Tevez for South America, Park Ji-Sung for the Asian market?

(dreaming, I know...)

Red Skies At Night
05-28-2013, 11:33 AM
There's a poo-load of money on the table for the guy if he decides to come... if his little hiatus to South America has taught us something about him is that he really holds no loyalty or aspirations to Europe; he'll do what he thinks is best for him at the time, and confuse the heck out of everyone... which would be perfect, because a move to MLS would do exactly that

I believe he went back to Argentina to be near his family while he was fueding with mancini. He has stated that his football ambitions are to win CL, WC and return to Boca. He might be a head case at times, but he's not about the benjamins. He's not coming to MLS at any time, imo.

But I do applaud the initiative and ambition. Just a little concerned that this is putting the horse before the cart. After all, if he was to come here, how long do you think it would be before he cold-cocked Reggie Lambe out of sheer frustration.... (rhetorical question).

I'm of the opinion that we need to build a solid team foundation before trying to bring in the big name, but sometimes circumstance don't permit that time.

Canary10
05-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Guys, we don't even know this offer is for real. I can link you websites that show how you can doctor an offer to pass for the real thing in the eyes of interested media. Until I see a copy of this so-called "offer," I'm going to hold my judgement.

Red I
05-28-2013, 11:42 AM
I believe he went back to Argentina to be near his family while he was fueding with mancini. He has stated that his football ambitions are to win CL, WC and return to Boca. He might be a head case at times, but he's not about the benjamins. He's not coming to MLS at any time, imo.

I think you are giving him way too much credit here... If he's not about the Benjamins, he'll be in Boca next season, if he's not, well...

I don't think the guy is built for the spotlight like Beckham was though, so you may be right

Richard
05-28-2013, 11:45 AM
http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2013/05/723689_Toronto_FC.jpg

brad
05-28-2013, 11:45 AM
We would have to offer a boatload of money to compete with Monaco - there is no tax there. Here he would be taxed heavily.

Monaco's status in Ligue 1 is in question though due to the perceived unfairness of the tax shelter (I think they will be playing - but it's not certain at this stage).

Blakfish
05-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Park Ji Sung would be an excellent signing. If Tevez didn't give a shit at United or City, why would he give a shit at TFC? He won't be coming this side of the pond for a long time anyway.

I don't really understand why O'Dea and Eckersley get so much stick from some of you. The effort these 2 put in is second to none - sure, they make the occasional (stupid) error, but I think some of you need to remember this is TFC in MLS, not a top devision side in Europe...

ProfessorDamage
05-28-2013, 11:54 AM
One-two punch???

Tevez for South America, Park Ji-Sung for the Asian market?

(dreaming, I know...)

I would say as things stand currently, Ji-Sung is significantly more likely to arrive in Toronto.

City were offered 17 million pounds by Milan when Tevez wasn't even playing. City turned it down. As he points out in a recent interview, now that he IS playing, that fee would be considerably higher - MUCH higher than the silly 10 million pound TFC offer rumour. We're priced out, even though Lieweke has the connections to make a splashy move. It just won't be this one. :)

As for Ji-Sung Park, ask yourself this: if I'm a good/very good player who wants to earn money and my team has just been relegated to the Championship and one of my former teammates who I immensely respect is coaching a team in the MLS who can throw TONS of money at me, would I at least consider it? I think the answer is yes. :)

Red I
05-28-2013, 11:56 AM
We would have to offer a boatload of money to compete with Monaco - there is no tax there. Here he would be taxed heavily.

Monaco's status in Ligue 1 is in question though due to the perceived unfairness of the tax shelter (I think they will be playing - but it's not certain at this stage).

I forgot about that - truth be told, they may not pay income tax, but people employed by businesses in monaco do pay a high amount of social insurance taxes - like 14%, so it's not a "true" tax haven, but pretty much is a tax haven, ya. Hard to compete with that

Red I
05-28-2013, 11:58 AM
I don't really understand why O'Dea and Eckersley get so much stick from some of you. The effort these 2 put in is second to none - sure, they make the occasional (stupid) error, but I think some of you need to remember this is TFC in MLS, not a top devision side in Europe...

I don't see the harm in demanding more from someone based on their pay scale compared to others in the league that outperform them and are paid way less; i don't understand how that is unfair

TFC Tifoso
05-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Tevez is probably just a bit too ambitious for TFC, but I think a guy like Fabrizio Miccoli would be great for TFC or MLS.....Palermo is being relegated in Italy, and he most likely will leave them......still has much to offer at 33 years old......

ensco
05-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Cmon you guys. Tevez is more likely to be in Ford's crack video than he is to be an TFC red.

flatpicker
05-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Cmon you guys. Tevez is more likely to be in Ford's crack video than he is to be an TFC red.

Nice

Greatest Ripoff
05-28-2013, 12:22 PM
If Tevez didn't give a shit at United or City, why would he give a shit at TFC?

Tevez did give shit about playing for United.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/article6758249.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/Carlos+Tevez+playing+for+West+Ham

gdg_9
05-28-2013, 12:22 PM

But I do applaud the initiative and ambition. Just a little concerned that this is putting the horse before the cart. After all, if he was to come here, how long do you think it would be before he cold-cocked Reggie Lambe out of sheer frustration.... (rhetorical question).

I'm of the opinion that we need to build a solid team foundation before trying to bring in the big name, but sometimes circumstance don't permit that time.

I know you said it was rhetorical... but would that really be such a bad thing?:p

Ultra & Proud
05-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Guys, we don't even know this offer is for real. I can link you websites that show how you can doctor an offer to pass for the real thing in the eyes of interested media. Until I see a copy of this so-called "offer," I'm going to hold my judgement.

Apparently through some reliable sources we did make an offer. Not sure if it was that large or anything but we did put ourselves in the mix. Tevez will no doubt turn us down but I guess it doesn't hurt to let the Football world know that we exist and for some reason have ambition and lots of cash to toss around.

brad
05-28-2013, 12:30 PM
I would say as things stand currently, Ji-Sung is significantly more likely to arrive in Toronto.

City were offered 17 million pounds by Milan when Tevez wasn't even playing. City turned it down. As he points out in a recent interview, now that he IS playing, that fee would be considerably higher - MUCH higher than the silly 10 million pound TFC offer rumour. We're priced out, even though Lieweke has the connections to make a splashy move. It just won't be this one. :)

A big factor in transfer fees is the remaining duration on the contract. Tevez is entering the last year on his contract, players usually go for cheaper in that last year. Still 20-30 million would be likely.

jabbronies
05-28-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm more in the mindset that Lieweke's isn't actually going after Tevez - He'd have to be crazy to think that a guy like that, would come and play in league like MLS.

I think this may be his way of letting the football world know that TFC is serious about bringing in a star player and it's almost of an open invite for any player who may be interested to take the "Beckham Challenge"

ProfessorDamage
05-28-2013, 12:33 PM
A big factor in transfer fees is the remaining duration on the contract. Tevez is entering the last year on his contract, players usually go for cheaper in that last year. Still 20-30 million would be likely.

Absolutely correct. As such, we're definitely priced out. And any participation of ours, which I can't confirm or comment about (though I notice someone else is saying we've bid), would be more to show other potentially interested players that here is a club in a decent city with a big spending purse. We'll see where this takes us.

ag futbol
05-28-2013, 01:06 PM
We'd be crazy to turn down bringing Tevez here, but the price seems wildly out of sync with what MLS teams pay for transfers (even the big ones) and IF we're talking about spending that much money there are probably more reliable players to spend it on.

If he went on one of his random trips home and didn't inform the club (like he's done in the past) it would be the biggest shit storm ever. But then again this is TFC we are talking about, they probably relish the idea of spending $30m on a transfer fee and still finding a way to cock it up.

TFC07
05-28-2013, 01:09 PM
No surprises that TFC are trying to land a big name player. Nice to see some names popping out from media source now. I wonder who else TFC is trying to sign in the summer time.

T-boy
05-28-2013, 01:12 PM

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/article6758249.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/Carlos+Tevez+playing+for+West+Ham

Just this!

19Barrett19
05-28-2013, 01:27 PM
We all know something will happen sooner or later weather its tevez kaka rooney doesn't matter tfc will be a force to be reckoned with!!!!!! go reds.

reggie
05-28-2013, 01:28 PM
maybe he is..until we see that video,we will never know..:flare:

jloome
05-28-2013, 01:29 PM

I'd say whoever came up with this rumor smoked the same crack.

tfcleeds
05-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Even if the idea of Tevez coming here was plausible, I still wouldn't want him to. Enough of the "big splashes" already. One player isn't going to make a bit of difference on this sad sack club. We need to be serious about building a competitive squad from front to back, not bringing in one DP who isn't going to make much of a difference in the long run. If this happened, it really would fit MLSE's M.O. All sizzle, no steak.

Ultra & Proud
05-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Even if the idea of Tevez coming here was plausible, I still wouldn't want him to. Enough of the "big splashes" already. One player isn't going to make a bit of difference on this sad sack club. We need to be serious about building a competitive squad from front to back, not bringing in one DP who isn't going to make much of a difference in the long run.
That's what they said about Beckham in his first year when they sucked ass. It's not that one splash player that makes a difference but rather the impression that that splash player can make on other players who otherwise wouldn't even know that Toronto FC existed. That's why LA became what they are today. Ripples from the 'Beckham effect'.

tfcleeds
05-28-2013, 01:50 PM
That's what they said about Beckham in his first year when they sucked ass. It's not that one splash player that makes a difference but rather the impression that that splash player can make on other players who otherwise wouldn't even know that Toronto FC existed. That's why LA became what they are today. Ripples from the 'Beckham effect'.Fair enough, but as has been alluded to already in this thread, I don't think Tevez would be the right person to create that ripple effect here. Too much of a headcase. If we had gone for someone, I really wish it had been Del Piero.

Canary10
05-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Apparently through some reliable sources we did make an offer. Not sure if it was that large or anything but we did put ourselves in the mix. Tevez will no doubt turn us down but I guess it doesn't hurt to let the Football world know that we exist and for some reason have ambition and lots of cash to toss around.

Reliable sources? I wouldn't believe anything those left-wing reporters at the Calciomercato claim they saw. That paper is carrying around a vendetta.

backbeat
That's what they said about Beckham in his first year when they sucked ass. It's not that one splash player that makes a difference but rather the impression that that splash player can make on other players who otherwise wouldn't even know that Toronto FC existed. That's why LA became what they are today. Ripples from the 'Beckham effect'.

except that Beckham is like a Gretzky - there is only one that has that on the pitch and off the pitch status - you can bring a big name player for sure but a Gretsky/Beckham brings a whole lot more than just the sport side imo - unless we get totally unrealistic and include Ronaldo or Messi....

TFC Tifoso
Fair enough, but as has been alluded to already in this thread, I don't think Tevez would be the right person to create that ripple effect here. Too much of a headcase. If we had gone for someone, I really wish it had been Del Piero.

absolutely.....Sydney FC signed him to $2M a season.....we paid JDG that amount :facepalm:........

Del Piero would've been great....he speaks English well, and he is often hanging around the locker room at Sydney helping the young players with the x's and o's on the chalkboard.......

ginkster88
05-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Let's get Forlan and Tevez. lol comon Lieweke make a statement.

We would already have three DP at this point though... Koevs, Laba and Tevez?

Unless Laba is a "Young DP" and that makes it possible to have four, but I don't know...

gdg_9
05-28-2013, 02:02 PM
except that Beckham is like a Gretzky - there is only one that has that on the pitch and off the pitch status - you can bring a big name player for sure but a Gretsky/Beckham brings a whole lot more than just the sport side imo - unless we get totally unrealistic and include Ronaldo or Messi....

First of all... Beckham is no where near Gretzky... but that's not the point...

The same thing happened with Henry in New York.

NYRB making a splash and signing Henry lead to other high quality players joining the team to augment him... Cahill, Luyindula, Juninho, Espindola

Alonso
05-28-2013, 02:06 PM
We would already have three DP at this point though... Koevs, Laba and Tevez?

Unless Laba is a "Young DP" and that makes it possible to have four, but I don't know...

Is this a rule?

I haven't seen that anywhere, but I do remember Payne saying something to this effect as well.

One thing to consider is that Man City and MLS are now in bed together. I could see them taking a low transfer fee for Tevez as a scratch your back now, and in 2 years when NYFC is up and running the league scratches back.

Ultra & Proud
05-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Reliable sources? I wouldn't believe anything those left-wing reporters at the Calciomercato claim they saw. That paper is carrying around a vendetta.
Well someone from over here says they heard from a reliable source they have that we did make an offer. Therefore it would be from a TFC source probably. Whatever, us making an offer to big players isn't shocking now that Lieweke is at the helm. The fact that he said he was planning on doing it when he signed on at MLSE should take some of the shock out of anything that happens regarding DPs. Regardless, this will never happen and it will just serve as a notice that TFC exists and has money to burn to out of contract world footballers.

gdg_9
05-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Is this a rule?

I haven't seen that anywhere, but I do remember Payne saying something to this effect as well.

One thing to consider is that Man City and MLS are now in bed together. I could see them taking a low transfer fee for Tevez as a scratch your back now, and in 2 years when NYFC is up and running the league scratches back.

Even without the "back-scratching", it just makes sense for City to help strengthen MLS as a league.
The stronger MLS is as a whole, the more the franchise value of NYCFC will increase.

ginkster88
05-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Is this a rule?

I just looked it up, and it's not a rule.

So unless we dump Koevs, (which I could definitely see happening sooner rather than later) or negotiate him onto a non-DP contract (also possible as he gets older, maybe he likes it here?) we only get to add one DP for now.

Yohan
05-28-2013, 03:03 PM
I think some sort of offer from TFC was made to Tevez, because it just seems a bit ridiculous that a paper (don't know its reputation) would randomly link TFC with Monaco and Juventus

brad
05-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Is this a rule?

I don't see this happening - with the UEFA Financial Fair Play rules, selling him for a cut rate hurts City now. I just don't see them taking that hit to benefit NYCFC.

What I do question is what MLS would do if a club decides they wanted to pony up a huge transfer fee for a bonified World Class player at their prime. Wouldn't be the first time they re-wrote the rule under extraordinary circumstances. Also seems to me something that will become more likely when NYCFC start playing - I don't think Sheik Mansoure will think twice about dropping obscene amounts of money on bring some players in if he is allowed to.

Ultimately, the question to me is this. Does stopping clubs from dropping their own money on transfer fees for big name players (within the confines of the existing DP rules) really seem like something the MLS would do? I personally don't think so.

Canary10
05-28-2013, 03:05 PM
"I think some sort of offer from TFC was made to Tevez, because it just seems a bit ridiculous that a paper (don't know its reputation) would randomly link TFC with Monaco and Juventus."

Just because a couple of reporters say they saw an offer doesn't make it so. It's possible the offer was doctored. Or maybe the whole paper is just out to get us?

MartinUtd
05-28-2013, 03:05 PM
From wikipedia

Clubs will not have to buy the third DP roster slot to accommodate Designated Players 23 years old and younger

So I'm assuming a team can still go out and acquire the extra DP spot above and beyond what the young DP rule allows. Of course, the salary cap is the main limiter in all this.

Yohan
05-28-2013, 03:08 PM
From wikipedia

So I'm assuming a team can still go out and acquire the extra DP spot above and beyond what the young DP rule allows. Of course, the salary cap is the main limiter in all this.wrong. max 3 DPs in any form (unless rules changed without notice)

Canary10
05-28-2013, 03:12 PM
^ I thought they did change the rule without notice.

Yohan
05-28-2013, 03:16 PM
^ I thought they did change the rule without notice.
maybe. all we got is some vague comment about Payne saying possible changes to young DP rule that nobody in the league has commented on.

JonO
05-28-2013, 03:18 PM
From wikipedia
So I'm assuming a team can still go out and acquire the extra DP spot above and beyond what the young DP rule allows. Of course, the salary cap is the main limiter in all this.
Unfortunately that statement is not definitive - just because clubs do not have to buy the 3rd DP slot, doesn't mean that they don't have to use it. In fact from the actual MLS roster rules is seems that the 3rd DP is still used, just not paid for...

Each club has two Designated Player slots and clubs are allowed to “purchase” a third Designated Player slot for a one-time fee of $250,000 that will be dispersed in the form of allocation money to all clubs that do not have three Designated Players. Clubs will not have to buy the third DP roster slot to accommodate Designated Players 23 years old and younger.

pekduck
05-28-2013, 03:18 PM
maybe. all we got is some vague comment about Payne saying possible changes to young DP rule that nobody in the league has commented on.

(B) DESIGNATED PLAYER

The Designated Player Rule allows clubs to acquire up to three players whose salaries exceed their budget charges, with the club bearing financial responsibility for the amount of compensation above each player’s budget charge. Designated Player slots may be used to acquire players new to MLS or to retain current MLS players, subject to League approval.

In 2013, a Designated Player over the age of 23** will carry a salary budget charge of $368,750, unless the player joins his club in the middle of the season, in which case his budget charge will be $175,000.

A Designated Player 20 years old or younger** counts as $150,000 against the club’s salary budget and a Designated Player 21-23 years old counts as $200,000 against the club’s salary budget.

Clubs have the option of “buying down” the budget charge of a Designated Player with allocation money. The reduced charge may not be less than $150,000.

The budget charge for the midseason signing of a young Designated Player (23 years old and younger) is $150,000 and this amount cannot be lowered with allocation funds.

Each club has two Designated Player slots and clubs are allowed to “purchase” a third Designated Player slot for a one-time fee of $150,000 that will be dispersed in the form of allocation money to all clubs that do not have three Designated Players. Clubs will not have to buy the third DP roster slot to accommodate Designated Players 23 years old and younger.

Designated Player slots are not tradable.

** Age of player is determined by year (not date) of birth.

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

Let's not use Wiki =)

Ultra & Proud
05-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Wouldn't get all too worked up on the specifics and league rule ramifications because this isn't happening.

jloome
05-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Wouldn't get all too worked up on the specifics and league rule ramifications because this isn't happening.

And never was. People need to wake up. Tevez to MLS? Sure.

TFC was probably Toulouse Football Club, a mistake that has been made about transfer rumours in the past:

http://www.tfc.info/

ensco
05-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Anytime one of these stories surfaces, you need to think about Eto'o going to Anzhi.

That is the only example I can think of where an elite World XI player went to a non-elite, non-hometown team, in his prime.

To do that, it took a contract of 20 million euros a year.

More than 30 million dollars a year. More than the entire salary cap of MLS.

Anytime anyone posts one of these stories, they should be forced to mention that.

Ultra & Proud
05-28-2013, 03:58 PM
And never was. People need to wake up. Tevez to MLS? Sure.

Tevez not coming is obvious and not really the point of interest (for me anyway). The interesting thing is that TFC/MLSE may have actually inquired or dropped this big time offer for him. If this is so then it says a lot about the influence the new head of MLSE has over Toronto FC.

JonO
05-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Wouldn't get all too worked up on the specifics and league rule ramifications because this isn't happening. You mean we're not getting a 3rd DP? ;)

Ultra & Proud
05-28-2013, 04:07 PM
You mean we're not getting a 3rd DP? ;)
Not the one everyone is talking about on here.

ginkster88
05-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Still useful to discuss how the DP works in any event, seeing as it seemingly changes by the week.

I think Paynes comments regarding the young DP slot had to do with how it affects the cap.

lanarkist
05-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Tevez not coming is obvious and not really the point of interest (for me anyway). The interesting thing is that TFC/MLSE may have actually inquired or dropped this big time offer for him. If this is so then it says a lot about the influence the new head of MLSE has over Toronto FC.

+1

If nothing else it suggests that we were willing to pay a transfer of $10M as well as negotiate a significant contract for a player. Doesn't matter if its Tevez, if this is in fact true, it means Leiweke can get MLSE to put up the money, and if they are willing to throw that much at one player, it speaks volumes to his ability to bring in high calibre players.

jazzy
05-28-2013, 04:50 PM
From wikipedia

then thats the answer sign as many young DPs as we can :)

DoubleUp
05-28-2013, 08:02 PM
It's funny, everybody is asking for a playmaking AM, but wasn't that meant to be Silva?

Exactly.

----------------Silva-----
Osario/Convey------------
---------------------------Laba
----------------Hall-------

said it already.

we played like this:

Osario----Hall----Laba----Silva

This keeps Silva to far from goal and doesnt allow him to access both sides of the pitch(which you want because of his vision and creativity) and makes Hall push up into parts of the pitch He has know business being in and essentially tripping over Laba, he should essentially play an anchor role Mopping up in front of the backline while Osario and Laba play more box2box with Osario pushing up the higher of the two(tactically) but Laba can still push up if he has the space and opportunity(like when he delivered the ball to earnshaw)

Silva's Main duty as CAM is to float around(between the lines) positioned in the middle of the pitch( between the strikers and other midfielders essentially playing from the semi-circle at the top of the oppositions 18 and the semi circle at the half line but dropping deeper if we need him behind the ball to defend or to pick up the ball.

Like I have said before this will create natural movement , possesion and chance creation (if employed properly)

but we do have the players to play this way.

We just need to bring in guys who can compete for these spots and raise the overall competitiveness of the team.

Haddy
05-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Even without the "back-scratching", it just makes sense for City to help strengthen MLS as a league.
The stronger MLS is as a whole, the more the franchise value of NYCFC will increase.

...and the more ownership groups that are tied to sports broadcasters mean a major interest in the improvement of quality across the league. As much as I personally hate the Yankees, I'm happy they are joining the league with YES network.

Any free agent rumours out there? I'd rather not wait until the July 9 window to open but I'm not seeing any names yet.

denime
05-29-2013, 04:17 PM
...and the more ownership groups that are tied to sports broadcasters mean a major interest in the improvement of quality across the league. As much as I personally hate the Yankees, I'm happy they are joining the league with YES network.

Any free agent rumours out there? I'd rather not wait until the July 9 window to open but I'm not seeing any names yet.

Roumors are Tavez and Kaka TFC targets,if we can believe Italian newspapers and so called insiders info.

nonc
05-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Tevez isn't reality. But Kaka's transfer fee would not be insurmountable because they want to get rid of him and TFC could probably meet his depreciating- though still very high salary. Regardless, you know Lieweke is not going to allow this crap for a second longer than necessary, that's really the only saving grace.

Ultra & Proud
05-29-2013, 06:40 PM
I hope none of any of this stuff happens. I'd prefer us to revisit the Lopez and Peralta deals again and see where they stand. At least that would be helping our biggest problem area and leave us covered for a few years.

Gilberto9
05-29-2013, 07:08 PM
If Tevez were to transfer from Man City, TFC would be the dream club for me (being a passionate City and TFC supporter). But, this will not happen. Tevez said countless times that he wants to go back to play in Argentina while he can, before his playing days are over. To me it seems he either stays at City, transfers to Monaco, or plays in Argentina.

Kaka on the other hand seems more likely.

[NBF]
05-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Im not falling for the rumours.

This team had to pay millions for one decent midfielder. They couldnt land Maximilliano Urruti. How are they going to land Tevez or even Kaka. Its non sense.

If Pedro Pacheco is available for free. He would be much needed addition.

MartinUtd
05-29-2013, 07:28 PM
;1587894']Im not falling for the rumours.

This team had to pay millions for one decent midfielder. They couldnt land Maximilliano Urruti. How are they going to land Tevez or even Kaka. Its non sense.

If Pedro Pacheco is available for free. He would be much needed addition.

The Uruti deal falling through has nothing do with TFC's ambition or ability to close a deal. Old Boys lost their starting striker in the middle of an important campaign, plain and simple.

As much as we're focused on bringing in young talent, I do think we need some veteran leadership within our ranks.

tfcmanu
05-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Pedro Pacheco...Is interesting I had mentioned this to TFC front office last year at a meet and greet, would be a good fit.

khso11
05-30-2013, 01:55 PM
TFC denies the Tevez deal.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/05/30/toronto-fc-denies-report-they-want-to-sign-carlos-tevez/

edit: nvm, didn't know its already posted at the news section

Ivy
05-30-2013, 08:27 PM
TFC denies everything...

BuSaPuNk
05-30-2013, 08:42 PM
^ Except getting scored on oohhhhhhh lol sorry couldn't help it

Haddy
05-30-2013, 11:51 PM
What about Eric Abidal? I mean, we need a LB and the MLS site reports a club is interested.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/es/news/article/2013/05/30/se-dice-en-europa-la-mls-pendiente-del-futuro-de-eric-abidal

We could do worse. What am I saying, we are doing worse.

khso11
05-31-2013, 01:20 AM
What about Eric Abidal? I mean, we need a LB and the MLS site reports a club is interested.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/es/news/article/2013/05/30/se-dice-en-europa-la-mls-pendiente-del-futuro-de-eric-abidal

We could do worse. What am I saying, we are doing worse.

he would be a great addition to our club, but we need our DP spots to be used in other more important positions, unless he would join on a non-DP salary.

Super
05-31-2013, 08:53 AM
Abidal would be great, but to use up a DP on LB on top of O'Dea and Ecks' astronomical salaries would be an insane misuse of our funds. On the other hand, sounds like something TFC would do.

Stress
05-31-2013, 11:21 AM
San Jose getting desperate at CB (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/30/san-jose-earthquakes-center-back-depth-minimum-yallop-confirms-interest-maki) and looking for a trade. Will be interesting to see if Califf or any of our 50 other CBs will be offered.

Maybe an opportunity to bring Gordon back (he'd probably rather die) if Koevs is taking too long.

Ultra & Proud
05-31-2013, 11:41 AM
San Jose getting desperate at CB (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/30/san-jose-earthquakes-center-back-depth-minimum-yallop-confirms-interest-maki) and looking for a trade. Will be interesting to see if Califf or any of our 50 other CBs will be offered.

Maybe an opportunity to bring Gordon back (he'd probably rather die) if Koevs is taking too long.

I'd trade Califf for Salinas and save the $65K. Always liked Salinas.

TFC07
05-31-2013, 11:45 AM
I'd trade Califf for free (well we get cap space to sign someone better).

Stress
05-31-2013, 12:00 PM
I thought Gordon because they are on comparable salaries and I'm sure SJ doesn't want the extra cap burden of Califf.

notthesun
05-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Ben Haim deal is dead according to Nelsen. Good.

MartinUtd
05-31-2013, 12:24 PM
We should look at this Luis Suarez kid. I hear he can score goals and wants out of his current club.

Phil
05-31-2013, 12:40 PM
I thought Gordon because they are on comparable salaries and I'm sure SJ doesn't want the extra cap burden of Califf.

I don't think Gordon would want to come back here after his last run.

Molinaro asked Danny about being traded and he said he wouldn't be surprised.

Canary10
05-31-2013, 12:40 PM
We should look at this Luis Suarez kid. I hear he can score goals and wants out of his current club.

Not only that, he would fit TFC's penchant for invoking images of Canada in our marketing. He'd fit great. Maybe even could petition to have his face on a nickel.

http://www.caht.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/beaver.jpg

Red I
05-31-2013, 01:52 PM
Not only that, he would fit TFC's penchant for invoking images of Canada in our marketing. He'd fit great. Maybe even could petition to have his face on a nickel.

http://www.caht.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/beaver.jpg

... in related news, reports out of Belarus indicate beaver attacks are on the rise; one man was killed after a beaver severed an artery after the dude tried to pick one up to pose for a photo. Who would ever do that??!?

Who ever thought that our national symbol was such a badass?

ensco
05-31-2013, 02:03 PM
I'd be surprised if Califf were tradeable, without taking someone else's problem contract back.

ag futbol
05-31-2013, 02:07 PM
I assume he's not guaranteed year-to-year... Shouldn't be too much of an issue I would think.

jloome
05-31-2013, 04:18 PM
Earnshaw deal being worked on ... by Earl Cochrane.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/31/toronto-fcs-ryan-nelsen-promises-summer-signing-plus-progress-being-made-rob

Ajax TFC
05-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Earnshaw deal being worked on ... by Earl Cochrane.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/31/toronto-fcs-ryan-nelsen-promises-summer-signing-plus-progress-being-made-rob
I imagine the negotiations are probably going something like:
Cock: "So Robbie, we really want to hold onto you for a while longer. What will it take? how does 400k sound?"

PopePouri
05-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Given Payne's understanding on the cap, I doubt it.

T-boy
05-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Twitter full of rumours about Califf being traded to Philly for somebody. Philly fans are saying Torres, but we need wingers, not central mids. Anybody take a guess who we might be interested in from Philly? (or would it be an international slot?)

Ajax TFC
05-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Given Payne's understanding on the cap, I doubt it.
but if Cockbrain is the one doing the negotiations, Payne's understanding of the cap wont be worth shit

Ivy
05-31-2013, 08:18 PM
but if Cockbrain is the one doing the negotiations, Payne's understanding of the cap wont be worth shit
There hasn't been an outrageously over-priced signing since Payne came in... I dont think Earnshaw is worth more than 150-200k, BUT I wouldn't be surprised if he gets more considering we have 0 strikers other than half a Koev, thus giving him the upper hand in negotiations.

PopePouri
06-01-2013, 08:22 AM

One is the president and the other is not.

Ajax TFC
06-01-2013, 08:44 AM
One is the president and the other is not.
But if that article is to be believed, the president isn't the one negotiating the contract, Earl Cockrane is. In the end Payne probably wont okay the renewal if it's too high, but that doesn't mean Cockrane won't fuck up the negotiations

backbeat
06-01-2013, 11:01 AM
What about Yossi Benayoun? He's saying he wants to go to MLS - he's an AM....might be good for a year and a half...

T-boy
06-01-2013, 03:20 PM
If we are going to get an AM, he needs to be significantly better than what we already have. I personally don't see Yossi as "significantly" better than Silva. We can do better than him.

notthesun
06-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Ephraim on his way out as per his twitter (https://twitter.com/HoganEphraim).

Ivy
06-01-2013, 08:21 PM
@HoganEphraim: Been told that QPR want me to end the loan now so I can be refreshed for pre season. I just want to say a massive thank you to everybody...

Jugs
06-01-2013, 09:03 PM
No surprise Ephraim is leaving. He didn't do much for us anyway, plus, QPR need inexpensive guys like him to get ready for the Championship.

burlington Red
06-01-2013, 09:54 PM
If we are going to get an AM, he needs to be significantly better than what we already have. I personally don't see Yossi as "significantly" better than Silva. We can do better than him.

agree with u, but he'd do s decent, not great, but better than we have job on the wings

OgtheDim
06-01-2013, 10:14 PM
@HoganEphraim: Been told that QPR want me to end the loan now so I can be refreshed for pre season. I just want to say a massive thank you to everybody...

I'd say that says as much about his fitness as anything. Guy seemed gassed.

BuSaPuNk
06-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Knew he was leaving writing was on the wall months ago.

reggie
06-01-2013, 10:46 PM
he sucked....plain and simple,,,,thanks for coming out..

SamK
06-01-2013, 10:56 PM
What about Yossi Benayoun? He's saying he wants to go to MLS - he's an AM....might be good for a year and a half...

I've been saying for years I'd love to see Yossi come to Toronto. I'm probably biased with him being my favourite player and the captain of my national team, but he'd still be a great player for us

Daze
06-01-2013, 11:21 PM
To say Yossi isn't better than Silva right now is total fucking shit. Silva is immensely overrated by us. an okay half season under Mariner is really all he has under his belt. That's not much of an accomplishment. Yossi on the other hand is actually talanted, dyanamic,and works hard. Has amassed a good playing career for three of the top teams in europe, plus a very good stint at West ham. He's 33 but would still work harder, be more creative and get himself in better positions than Silva, who has been completely ineffectual this season.

jazzy
06-02-2013, 12:12 AM

he is talking to red bulls and basically only wants to play there....same old...MLS overseas means either NY or LA.....which MLS doesn't argue with it seems.

T-boy
06-02-2013, 12:34 AM
To say Yossi isn't better than Silva right now is total fucking shit. Silva is immensely overrated by us. an okay half season under Mariner is really all he has under his belt. That's not much of an accomplishment. Yossi on the other hand is actually talanted, dyanamic,and works hard. Has amassed a good playing career for three of the top teams in europe, plus a very good stint at West ham. He's 33 but would still work harder, be more creative and get himself in better positions than Silva, who has been completely ineffectual this season.

I said not "significantly better" than Silva. I would say he IS better, but at this time in his career, and having only started something like 20 league games in the past 3 seasons, Benayoun isn't going to be a massive improvement on Silva. Benayoun's stock has drastically fallen since 2010 when he last had a fairly good season. I do like the guy, but he's not the player he used to be IMO.

Morlesio14
06-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Don't we get a certain amount of money for hogan being recalled before his loan ended? What's a ballpark answer on how much it could be? 100k?

valeo
06-02-2013, 05:46 PM
I said not "significantly better" than Silva. I would say he IS better, but at this time in his career, and having only started something like 20 league games in the past 3 seasons, Benayoun isn't going to be a massive improvement on Silva. Benayoun's stock has drastically fallen since 2010 when he last had a fairly good season. I do like the guy, but he's not the player he used to be IMO.

Lol - how ridiculous. Benayoun would tear the MLS a new one. He did well for Arsenal.

T-boy
06-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Lol - how ridiculous. Benayoun would tear the MLS a new one. He did well for Arsenal.

We've heard this one a few times before with mixed results! I guess we will see if he comes over eh?!

valeo
06-02-2013, 07:32 PM
'Rip the league apart' is a bit of hyperbole but there's no doubt he'd be better than most.

[NBF]
06-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Gleison Santos is on trial with TFC. Brazillian centre back and has alot of experience playing in lower leagues in Eastern Europe. He last played for Xanthi in the Greece League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleison_Santos

burlington Red
06-02-2013, 07:45 PM
I've been saying for years I'd love to see Yossi come to Toronto. I'm probably biased with him being my favourite player and the captain of my national team, but he'd still be a great player for us

seriously bud if he's your fav player, u got issues

Blizzard
06-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Knew he was leaving writing was on the wall months ago.

It is interesting how things seemed to have changed. It was only on May 10th that it was reported that Hogan wasn't going to be welcomed back at QPR with Harry quoted as saying “Hogan’s gone to Toronto to play and I think he needs to move on and have a go somewhere else now.”

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/no-way-back-for-ephraim-at-qpr-555454

Blizzard
06-02-2013, 09:14 PM
;1588669']Gleison Santos is on trial with TFC. Brazillian centre back and has alot of experience playing in lower leagues in Eastern Europe. He last played for Xanthi in the Greece League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleison_Santos

He looked good with the reserves a couple of weeks ago although he seemed a touch slow on the turn getting burned very badly on one occasion. That being said, he did put in a marvelous last gasp tackle that couldn't have been more perfect.

ensco
06-03-2013, 06:34 AM
It is interesting how things seemed to have changed. It was only on May 10th that it was reported that Hogan wasn't going to be welcomed back at QPR with Harry quoted as saying “Hogan’s gone to Toronto to play and I think he needs to move on and have a go somewhere else now.”

It is standard practice when loans end unsuccessfully for the player to be "recalled" as opposed to "given back". It saves face for the player, puts a better spin on things for the club that owns the player.

Harry's comments are almost certainly a better reflection of the reality of Ephraim's situation.

It is possible that both Harry's and Ephraim's statements are true, if in fact there is another plan in place for Ephraim (ie QPR will loan him out or sell him somewhere else next year, and they don't want to risk him getting hurt).

Stress
06-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Peralta announced as a new Rangers signing this morning so that officially kills any chance of new talks. In the article he mentions getting other offers from Europe and MLS but as soon as he heard Rangers were interested he made up his mind.

OgtheDim
06-03-2013, 11:36 AM
I hope somebody explained to him it will be 2 seasons before they get a sniff of top level Scottish Football.

BuSaPuNk
06-03-2013, 11:50 AM

Yeah that's what I found interesting when I heard he was going back a few weeks ago. Very interesting to see what is going to happen to him.

jloome
06-03-2013, 11:58 AM
'Rip the league apart' is a bit of hyperbole but there's no doubt he'd be better than most.

You seem like a nice person, but you just got here.

We've had dozens of guys of Benayoun's pedigree come over to MLS post-30 and they nearly always wash out. It's too athletic for them at their age. That's not hyperbolic, it's accurate. You might be right, but the odds are against it. For every good one (Guillermo Barros Schellotto, Thierry Henry), there have been many, many like Lothar Mattheus, Laurent Robert, Celestine Babayaro, Marcello Gallardo) who crapped out massively.

Equally, Canada and New Zealand are not on an equal footing in footie terms. They may be closer now than ever, but Canada has been traditionally ranked in the top 80, because it plays in a tougher confederation, against tougher teams. And that's despite losing half our best players (Hargreaves, Hoilett, DeGuzman etc) to British relatives over the years. Traditionally, in fact, we've been closer in ranking and talent to Australia. The huge Sports Academy influence has changed that over the last decade and Australia has grown stronger, while Canada has been stagnant.

But either way, New Zealand hasn't, until the last cycle, been a competitive team.

Also, I watched the last A-league season (or chunks of it, anyway) and the two leagues aren't equivalent. Philly and Toronto are very poor examples of MLS. LA, Seattle, Dallas, New York, New England ... any of these teams would win the A-league in a walk. What I would say is that the A-League is producing just as many good homegrown players and eventually both leagues might be strong, if the A-League copies MLS' financial model and restricts spending heavily. But the players are product of the national drive there to promote sport, not the league.

It's hard to overstate how much people underestimate the athletic skill level (not footie technical skill, pure athleticism) of American players. Top teams from the premiership have come over here year after year on friendlies and had their heads handed to them by teams with half the skill but twice the fight. Seriously, go look up the last few seasons of friendly results. There are many more surprises in there than you'd expect, like KC beating Man. Utd 2-1, and mostly its first team, at that, and with Ferguson telling them publicly before the game that he expected a win.

So, it's not as cut and dried as it might appear after watching a handful of games. (And I say this with humility as the person who idiotically started a thread once called "Rohan Ricketts will turn heads in MLS weekly" after seeing him play for Glen Hoddle at Tottenham. He is now in Ecuador, or something, playing there on a short-term deal. I kid you not.)

tfcleeds
06-03-2013, 11:59 AM
I hope somebody explained to him it will be 2 seasons before they get a sniff of top level Scottish Football.Yeah, funny how many players seem to jump at the chance to play 3rd tier Scottish football. Obviously it's the name that's attractive, and maybe he sees it as a springboard to bigger things in Europe.

tfcleeds
06-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Yeah that's what I found interesting when I heard he was going back a few weeks ago. Very interesting to see what is going to happen to him.Thing is, he's barely done anything worthwhile at the Championship level the last little while. I can see him being sent out on loan again.

OgtheDim
06-03-2013, 12:37 PM

Question always is can he handle

a) the travel. MLS teams have to travel via scheduled flights, and do so across 4 time zones.

b) the robust physicality of the league (every new from Europe guy talks about how fit every player is here)

c) the summer weather extremes (part of me can't believe they want to put a team in Miami)

Ultra & Proud
06-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah, funny how many players seem to jump at the chance to play 3rd tier Scottish football. Obviously it's the name that's attractive, and maybe he sees it as a springboard to bigger things in Europe.

True but they still can afford decent wages due to the Sky TV contract and because they still average over 40k per match at home. More exposure in Europe from Rangers than from teams in Honduras or MLS for sure.

Derko
06-03-2013, 01:27 PM
I hope somebody explained to him it will be 2 seasons before they get a sniff of top level Scottish Football.

I was going to ask if Rangers were still in the, snickering to myself as I say it, Third Division

brad
06-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Question always is can he handle

a) the travel. MLS teams have to travel via scheduled flights, and do so across 4 time zones.

b) the robust physicality of the league (every new from Europe guy talks about how fit every player is here)

c) the summer weather extremes (part of me can't believe they want to put a team in Miami)

d)Adapt his game to playing with players with much lower technical ability and footy IQ's.

moralis
06-03-2013, 01:38 PM
It seems former Sheffield United striker Dave Kitson is linked to TFC:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/317995/Robert-Page-set-for-Sheffield-United-job/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Kitson

He's a free agent who wants to come to MLS.

Ultra & Proud
06-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Whenever any English players say they want to come to America to play is it automatically assumed TFC is a link or is that just standard operating procedure now for their lazy writers?

We've been linked to what seems like dozens of 30+ players already this season in their rags. I think it's because TFC is a known team over there. When I was over there a year and a half ago everyone in the pubs and at the football matches knew of TFC, LA, and NY and that was it. Minus Beckham they knew the most about Toronto as a few of the people I talked to had been here and most complimented BMO Field as being a great stadium. The only reason I can figure that is because they could get boozed up at the match here and it clouded their memory of the place in a good way.

tfcleeds
06-03-2013, 02:10 PM
^Meh, we can do better. If these are the kinds of signings Nelsen is thinking of for the summer transfer window, then we aren't going anywhere.

OgtheDim
06-03-2013, 02:27 PM
..... Minus Beckham they knew the most about Toronto as a few of the people I talked to had been here and most complimented BMO Field as being a great stadium. The only reason I can figure that is because they could get boozed up at the match here and it clouded their memory of the place in a good way.

Well when the only stadiums you've been in are ones you see in their lower leagues, in their winter, BMO even on a day like Saturday looks grand.

MartinUtd
06-03-2013, 02:29 PM
It seems former Sheffield United striker Dave Kitson is linked to TFC:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/317995/Robert-Page-set-for-Sheffield-United-job/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Kitson

He's a free agent who wants to come to MLS.

Hmmm, 33 year old forward with a 1 in 3 strike rate in League One last year and 1 in 6 strike rate in the Championship for the two preceding years? No thanks, he can stay.

At that age and those numbers I wouldn't even want him to replace Braun for approx even money.

TFC07
06-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Whenever any English players say they want to come to America to play is it automatically assumed TFC is a link or is that just standard operating procedure now for their lazy writers?

We've been linked to what seems like dozens of 30+ players already this season in their rags. I think it's because TFC is a known team over there. When I was over there a year and a half ago everyone in the pubs and at the football matches knew of TFC, LA, and NY and that was it. Minus Beckham they knew the most about Toronto as a few of the people I talked to had been here and most complimented BMO Field as being a great stadium. The only reason I can figure that is because they could get boozed up at the match here and it clouded their memory of the place in a good way.

Yeah, even some people from UK I talked to know about TFC a bit. They seem to like TFC more than any other team in MLS too!

Red I
06-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Twitter full of rumours about Califf being traded to Philly for somebody. Philly fans are saying Torres, but we need wingers, not central mids. Anybody take a guess who we might be interested in from Philly? (or would it be an international slot?)

Here is the tweet:

Union Rumors ‏@UnionRumors 7h (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/UnionRumors/status/341531624560803840) A possible 3-way trade - Baky-to-CHI, player-to-TFC, Califf-to-PHI - was scuttled weeks back by Union exec; would look bad on FO.

Initial B
06-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Yeah, even some people from UK I talked to know about TFC a bit. They seem to like TFC more than any other team in MLS too!
I wonder, could the reason they lke TFC is because Toronto is the closest to being like a UK city? I mean, they probably hear a lot about guns and drugs and world police in the US, but Canada is still seen as the colonial lad who made good and didn't stray too far from his roots. And Toronto is still portrayed as kind of bland.

TFC07
06-03-2013, 03:08 PM
I wonder, could the reason they lke TFC is because Toronto is the closest to being like a UK city? I mean, they probably hear a lot about guns and drugs and world police in the US, but Canada is still seen as the colonial lad who made good and didn't stray too far from his roots. And Toronto is still portrayed as kind of bland.

That is probably it! The old anti-Yank attitude they have makes it easier for them to root for TFC.

TFC07
06-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Here is the tweet:

Union Rumors ‏@UnionRumors 7h (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/UnionRumors/status/341531624560803840)A possible 3-way trade - Baky-to-CHI, player-to-TFC, Califf-to-PHI - was scuttled weeks back by Union exec; would look bad on FO.

player? I wonder who, but I don't mind getting rid of Califf for cap space plus an international slot or allocation money either.

JohnnyEnglish
06-03-2013, 03:18 PM

I think there's a few reasons for this.
Obtaining a work permit here in Canada from the UK is a lot easier than the US. Particularly if the move is short term/loan.
Nelson is well respected in the UK both with players and other managers. Mariner was well connected too, perhaps to a lesser extent. The MLS gets very little exposure in the UK, a player ending his career in the PL to coach in Canada peaks curiosity.

T-boy
06-03-2013, 03:19 PM

I work in the hotel industry, and Toronto is a massive travel market for British people, always has been. I wouldn't say Toronto is viewed as bland, rather a better alternative to the US as a travel destination to Brits. Toronto is very popular with the British really!

tfcleeds
06-03-2013, 03:23 PM
^For the reasons you mentioned of course, but also because we seem to be the only team in MLS that signs British players! Especially those in the lower divisions!

T-boy
06-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Hmmm, 33 year old forward with a 1 in 3 strike rate in League One last year and 1 in 6 strike rate in the Championship for the two preceding years? No thanks, he can stay.

At that age and those numbers I wouldn't even want him to replace Braun for approx even money.

Kitson is a player I've always liked, seen him play a number of times in England. He's probably a little long-in-the-tooth now to come over, but I still think he would do a fairly good job. Remember that Luke Rodgers came over and did a fairly good job with NYRB, so I wouldn't completely rule out a lower league English player having some success in the MLS.

ag futbol
06-03-2013, 04:18 PM
^For the reasons you mentioned of course, but also because we seem to be the only team in MLS that signs British players! Especially those in the lower divisions!
I wouldn't say we're the only one, but we look to be the only one that makes a point of scouring that market. Seems like for everyone else in the league, if something comes up from England fine, but they aren't going to bother turning over rocks there. TFC on the other hand...

Scouting talent so far this year hasn't impressed me and it continues to be problematic.

Initial B
06-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Scouting talent so far this year hasn't impressed me and it continues to be problematic.
From what I understand, TFC didn't even have a scouting department when Payne took over. Those things take time to develop - I figure 3 years at least to build up the contacts and undo the reputational damage from the previous regime.

T-boy
06-04-2013, 08:37 AM
From what I understand, TFC didn't even have a scouting department when Payne took over. Those things take time to develop - I figure 3 years at least to build up the contacts and undo the reputational damage from the previous regime.

I would say that there hasn't been any scouting for the majority of Nelson's signings so far. Nelson has just picked up players that happen to be available, rather than specifically scouted talent.

Laba has been scouted, and looks a solid player. I would say Convey was probably hand picked, but he is just a pick up rather than a long term scouted selection. All of Earnshaw, Bostock, Richter, Russel, Ephraim, Caldwell are all signings of convenience, not specifically scouted for talent.

So, I don't think we can judge Nelson and Payne on the signings this season other than Laba!

PopePouri
06-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Richter is a Pat Onstad signing and he's been decent for his value.

Haddy
06-04-2013, 11:14 AM
I would say that there hasn't been any scouting for the majority of Nelson's signings so far. Nelson has just picked up players that happen to be available, rather than specifically scouted talent.

Laba has been scouted, and looks a solid player. I would say Convey was probably hand picked, but he is just a pick up rather than a long term scouted selection. All of Earnshaw, Bostock, Richter, Russel, Ephraim, Caldwell are all signings of convenience, not specifically scouted for talent.

So, I don't think we can judge Nelson and Payne on the signings this season other than Laba!

Heck, I'd speculate all those last-minute signings were favours or word-of-mouth type deals Nelsen and Payne took advantage of. Again, they needed warm bodies to fill roster spots to get them to the summer window and start fresh. Nelsen and Payne have yet to spend a full window together, more like a few days.

Agreed on Laba. If, and I mean if, his talent level and consistency is going to be the standard for this regime - bring it on.

If only the window could open sooner. Although, there's got to be at least one free agent out there worth attracting.

Red I
06-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Kitson is a player I've always liked, seen him play a number of times in England. He's probably a little long-in-the-tooth now to come over, but I still think he would do a fairly good job. Remember that Luke Rodgers came over and did a fairly good job with NYRB, so I wouldn't completely rule out a lower league English player having some success in the MLS.

.. At Braun's wage, and no International slot then absolutely - using up a International spot on a League 1 guy that doesn't really fill a need (a hold up guy, which Koevs does exceptional, and Braun is ok at)? with Koevs and Braun being healthy, not sure how this improves the team...

MartinUtd
06-04-2013, 12:38 PM
It doesn't. We should be looking at greater than or equal to Marlon King (with a clean record). Really though, with all the loans about to expire and there being no guarantee's of realistic negotiations under the salary cap, this could just an attempt to keep a squad together.

Red I
06-04-2013, 01:06 PM
It doesn't. We should be looking at greater than or equal to Marlon King (with a clean record). Really though, with all the loans about to expire and there being no guarantee's of realistic negotiations under the salary cap, this could just an attempt to keep a squad together.

I agree. I think there are alot of band-aids on the team currently, which suggests that there's going to be alot of moves in July and/or the pre-season

craigtfc
06-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Ephraim Placed On Waivers
Toronto FC announced Tuesday that the club has ended the loan agreement with Queens Park Rangers for midfielder Hogan Ephraim. He has now been placed on waivers.
Ephraim, 25, joined Toronto FC on loan on February 27. He made 12 combined appearances for the club in league and Amway Canadian Championship play.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/06/ephraim-placed-waivers

Pint
06-04-2013, 01:57 PM
@JohnMolinaro: More #TFC scouting trips: Onstad & Payne are in Argentina, Nelsen is in England (also moving his family). O'Leary going to Spain soon.

West220Side
06-04-2013, 02:04 PM
@JohnMolinaro: More #TFC scouting trips: Onstad & Payne are in Argentina, Nelsen is in England (also moving his family). O'Leary going to Spain soon.

Can somebody explain to me how scouting works? I know we don't have a scouting system. Apparently there wasn't anything when Nelsen/Payne arrived but what? We send an Irishman to Spain? "Ay' whats the name of number eight? The wee boy with the tan skin."

g:D

PopePouri
06-04-2013, 02:05 PM

Ironically, Mariner on today's Press Pass mentioned he checks the scouting report by looking at their wikipedia page. No kidding.

http://espnfc.com/video/espnfc/video/_/id/1467810?cc=5901 (around 12:05 mark).

AdamAM
06-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Spain sounds great, some good players there on lower first league teams that we could surely afford and would be MUCH better than what we have now

notthesun
06-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Ironically, Mariner on today's Press Pass mentioned he checks the scouting report by looking at their wikipedia page. No kidding.

LOL.

tfcleeds
06-04-2013, 02:16 PM
I've often wondered why the Spanish second division and even the lower reaches of the first division aren't scoured more by MLS teams for talent. And no, I don't refer to our 2 DPs who came from Spain, lol.

dantdot
06-04-2013, 02:24 PM
http://www.brotherlygame.com/rumors/2013/6/4/4395732/philadelphia-union-danny-califf-stefan-frei-bakary-soumare-chicago-fire-toronto-fc-trade

That failed trade with Frei and Califf would have given us allocation.

TFC07
06-04-2013, 02:39 PM
http://www.brotherlygame.com/rumors/2013/6/4/4395732/philadelphia-union-danny-califf-stefan-frei-bakary-soumare-chicago-fire-toronto-fc-trade

Fuck Philly ownership.

TFC07
06-04-2013, 02:41 PM

Nice. Hopefully we get some creative midfielders after this week.

Oldtimer
06-04-2013, 02:48 PM

:picard:

The other commentators were incredulous, lol.

By "scouting report" I presume he would mean player's agents sales pitches, since TFC didn't have scouts and we know from Cochrane they used to go over tape from the agents. Checked them with Wikipedia. Go figure. No wonder we had the Worst Team in the World (TM).

Auzzy
06-04-2013, 02:59 PM

Well that really sucks, especially for the players being put in limbo (and now public). Note that we would have gotten allocation, PLUS Frei's and Califf's cap space back, prorated for the rest of the season. That would have been a pretty penny for summer moves.

mowe
06-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Wow that trade would've been a great precursor to summer moves. Like Auzzy said it would've freed up a TON of cap space. According to the article it was basically done before their CEO vetoed it. Payne must've been pissed.

Abou Sky
06-04-2013, 03:07 PM
I've often wondered why the Spanish second division and even the lower reaches of the first division aren't scoured more by MLS teams for talent. And no, I don't refer to our 2 DPs who came from Spain, lol.

+1 plenty of non-dp type guys there, and at least here they would get the pay they are promised.

Greece is a big one too, MLS should be FULL of Greeks by now.

Jeff s
06-04-2013, 03:29 PM

lol wow

So he wasn't impressed with what he saw in Navas' wiki. But he was impressed with players like Lambe and Weidman when they too didn't score any goals before coming here.

brad
06-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Can somebody explain to me how scouting works? I know we don't have a scouting system. Apparently there wasn't anything when Nelsen/Payne arrived but what? We send an Irishman to Spain? "Ay' whats the name of number eight? The wee boy with the tan skin."

g:D

It's pretty straightforward. You book a ticket to Brazil, find a nice beach resort to stay at. Get some tickets to a couple of Santos or Sao Paulo matches, and that's about all there is to it. :)

brad
06-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Spain sounds great, some good players there on lower first league teams that we could surely afford and would be MUCH better than what we have now

Based on the economic state of Spain - there might be some deals to be had.

Derko
06-04-2013, 03:41 PM

But not much for North America, more lucrative contracts to be had in Europe, closer to home, even the Championship pay better wages than MLS,

OgtheDim
06-04-2013, 03:47 PM

Which is EXACTLY what Payne said about 2 months ago. Many young players that used to go to Spain from South America won't right now as it doesn't pay. Many older players won't stay around as long. Its why we have Laba.

gdg_9
06-04-2013, 04:11 PM

+1 plenty of non-dp type guys there, and at least here they would get the pay they are promised.

Greece is a big one too, MLS should be FULL of Greeks by now.

It's definitely encouraging to see that TFC is scouting in Spain. With many lower clubs in La Liga in dire financial situations, there could actually be some decent players available at reasonable prices.

I also can't help but think TFC should try re-visiting Honduras for Alex Lopez.
Maybe bring him in as a package with his best bud Roger Rojas (as long as Rojas doesn't cost DP money).

Came across this article profiling the two of them for their recent titles.
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fm.diez.hn%2FInicio%2FEdiciones%2F20 13%2F05%2F21%2FNoticias%2FEl-Ro-Ro-y-Alex-Lopez-comparten-el-tetra
(Google translated)

ensco
06-04-2013, 04:53 PM

Wow. Back in the day, this story would have generated 10 pages in two hours.

Now it's just philosophical discussions, and tumbleweeds, around here.

ensco
06-04-2013, 08:04 PM
We almost traded Frei today.

Anybody?

BuSaPuNk
06-04-2013, 08:06 PM
How times have changed. Something I think we all would never dream of 2-3 years ago. Now seems like the disinterest level is at a all time high.

However I think with the insurgence of Bendik, it's allowed us to understand that it's a smart move to move him for other assets.

Pint
06-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Trading Frei at this point is probably necessary due to his salary but would leave us with a hole.

I'm not sure that Q is ready to step in as a backup yet.

Ajax TFC
06-04-2013, 08:24 PM

Anybody?
Shame it didn't happen. We almost got allocation money on top of the freed up cap space

Auzzy
06-04-2013, 08:28 PM

Anybody?

The trade probably wasn't almost today; sounds like those discussions were over the last couple of weeks. What is there to say? Stefan Frei has barely played in a long time; he seems to have pretty bad luck (or worse) on the injury front; Bendik is doing well -- and he's kicking fewer bad long balls which was probably his weakest point. Nelsen seems to now have a couple of guys he's comfortable with to build from the back -- Caldwell; O'Dea; Laba; Convey; Osorio; etc. -- so we're seeing fewer long balls to 5-ft something Earnshaw, and fewer out to touch. Having Koevermans back will also help with that part of Bendik's game.

I really like Stefan, have chatted with him, and I was gutted that he was repeatedly injured and has been out so long. But that has faded over time, and I think most people realize that paying a backup goalie $145k/$200k guaranteed doesn't make sense long-term. Not when you can get decent backup keepers for $45k - $65k. (From what I have seen, I don't think they will depend on Q. being the only backup.) It's not good for Stefan either to rot on the bench, he needs some real games to fully come back. The writing was on the wall, especially with TFC being out of the CCL competition for this season.

Now the trades didn't happen and it's been leaked (no idea if Frei already knew what was in the works, although I'm sure he guessed). It makes it all more awkward moving forward, for both Califf & Frei.

jloome
06-04-2013, 08:44 PM

Anybody?

Let's face it, it's tough being gutted week after week. Wears on you.

Certain U.S. central defender in the mix, maybe, judging by the Spain trip? We have the next allocation pick.

Yohan
06-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Let's face it, it's tough being gutted week after week. Wears on you.

Certain U.S. central defender in the mix, maybe, judging by the Spain trip? We have the next allocation pick.is Bocanegra going to be an upgrade over Caldwell? hmmm

ensco
06-05-2013, 05:46 AM
I want to keep Frei. Just because he's been here a while, and represents something. I'm not sure what.

ag futbol
06-05-2013, 08:02 AM
^ Agreed. The league should be at the point now where you can support competent backups in at least a few key positions. Unfortunately, the salary cap kind of says otherwise, but oh well.

BTW, in a tale of "yeah MLS players do that" I'm pretty sure I saw Jeremy Brockie dragging a suitcase along front street the other day going somewhere or another. DeVos also noted on a recent podcast that he and Luke Wileman have seen the occasional player show up to gameday on a bike, because they can't afford a car in the city they live.

brad
06-05-2013, 08:11 AM
^ Agreed. The league should be at the point now where you can support competent backups in at least a few key positions. Unfortunately, the salary cap kind of says otherwise, but oh well.

That would help with competition for places as well - which is critical to quality of the team/league.

Oldtimer
06-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Why not try to renegotiate Frei'ss salary? The fact is he's not as good as he was before all those injuries.

pdogg
06-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Why not try to renegotiate Frei'ss salary? The fact is he's not as good as he was before all those injuries.

I'm a Frei fan and would like to see him get a few more games (at least get to that 100) - why would you say he's not as good? He's had one game this season, so far, and seemed to do well in preseason.

Oldtimer
06-05-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm a Frei fan and would like to see him get a few more games (at least get to that 100) - why would you say he's not as good? He's had one game this season, so far, and seemed to do well in preseason.

It may be just rustiness, but his reactions seem considerably slowed.

backbeat
06-05-2013, 09:26 AM
I wish the league would allow a fixed monthly stipend which could be paid additionally to players based on cost of living in the city they're in for rent, transportation and food - it wouldn't be a huge cost for the teams and would go a long way to helping out the lowered salaried players imo.

Phil
06-05-2013, 09:36 AM
I don't put much into Philly rumours after that whole made up Adu thing and how they had 'sources' that confirmed talk.

Talk on the internet as a huge joke....

But stranger things have happened. I can't deny that it looks wierd with Frei and Califf. I would love to keep Frei around as he is a great guy and loves the city. I don't think he got a fair chance for a comeback here.

C.Ronaldo
06-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Frei is a supreme distributor of the ball.

Ivy
06-05-2013, 09:48 AM

BTW, in a tale of "yeah MLS players do that" I'm pretty sure I saw Jeremy Brockie dragging a suitcase along front street the other day going somewhere or another. DeVos also noted on a recent podcast that he and Luke Wileman have seen the occasional player show up to gameday on a bike, because they can't afford a car in the city they live.
I don't know how much I believe that for the average player... Kocic was an exception.
I KNOW for a fact that the team has things such as rent allowance, which they pay a certain amount of money towards rent. The amount is usually between 800-1000 a month. I also know that some of these players are roommates. Even if they're making league minimum but don't have to worry about shelter costs, they can live a decent life.
Dont get me wrong, I still think that pro athletes should get more money than your postal worker, but they are not living in poverty - they ride bikes because 85% of the team lives in liberty village.

Auzzy
06-05-2013, 09:49 AM
If you live downtown, it's often easier/less hassle to get to BMO by bike than any other method.

ag futbol
06-05-2013, 10:00 AM
I don't know how much I believe that for the average player... Kocic was an exception.
I KNOW for a fact that the team has things such as rent allowance, which they pay a certain amount of money towards rent. The amount is usually between 800-1000 a month. I also know that some of these players are roommates. Even if they're making league minimum but don't have to worry about shelter costs, they can live a decent life.
Dont get me wrong, I still think that pro athletes should get more money than your postal worker, but they are not living in poverty - they ride bikes because 85% of the team lives in liberty village.
I don't think it's poverty, but it's probably stuff you'd rather not have athletes worry about given they need to be in a certain place mentally / physically to get the most out of on-field performances.

There was a time when Sanyang and Gomez were living in Chris Cummins basement and guys not living close to BMO were trekking across the city, so I'm glad something has changed.

PopePouri
06-05-2013, 10:05 AM
It's still a travesty that those who play in front of 15-20 000 people every week in a high risk career are making less than me on paper. I'm hoping the players union addresses this next year.

ensco
06-05-2013, 10:10 AM
We should keep Frei even if he makes $50-100K more than he should.

He's one of us. We need some glue around here.

We can renegotiate next year when it matters more. It's not like we need the cap room to put us over the top in 2013.

brad
06-05-2013, 10:18 AM
I wish the league would allow a fixed monthly stipend which could be paid additionally to players based on cost of living in the city they're in for rent, transportation and food - it wouldn't be a huge cost for the teams and would go a long way to helping out the lowered salaried players imo.

It could also go a long way towards evening out cost of living differences in between different locations. In a free market, wages will generally be adjusted based on location (IE - you will make more for doing the same job in New York than you would in Columbus). Doesn't work that way in the MLS.

Phil
06-05-2013, 10:22 AM
It's still a travesty that those who play in front of 15-20 000 people every week in a high risk career are making less than me on paper. I'm hoping the players union addresses this next year.

It doubled under the last CBA. League minimum was 20k before. It was roomates and bikes for all.

OgtheDim
06-05-2013, 10:28 AM
40K in Columbus must go a long way compared to NY. Might even be able to afford a cat.

JuliquE
06-05-2013, 10:44 AM
We should keep Frei even if he makes $50-100K more than he should.

He's one of us. We need some glue around here.

We can renegotiate next year when it matters more. It's not like we need the cap room to put us over the top in 2013.
Agreed.

Wasn't there footage, last season, of Frei putting together a fairly huge tifo?

We really should be looking elsewhere to make cuts.

MartinUtd
06-05-2013, 10:44 AM
You also get free room and board.. and meals.

Jermaine Beckford was installing car windshields before he signed for Leeds. That's the reality when you're not a marquee player.

Richard
06-05-2013, 10:45 AM

Well on the positive side atleast the players fitness level is top notch, could be a deliberate choice too.

gdg_9
06-05-2013, 10:57 AM

I was just thinking that same thing over the weekend.

Ran into Morgan, Bekker, and Henry Sat night... A friend I was with (who doesn't follow MLS) asked how much TFC players make.
That's when I realized that none of those three make as much (on paper anyway) as me or any of my friends I was out with!
And they have all played for CMNT in addition to TFC!

I mean I do alright, but am by no means wealthy... It was just so strange that these professional athletes who I pay to watch and cheer on in a big stadium do worse (on paper) than me.

Pint
06-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Well I know Bekker still lives at home so his expenses are pretty small. The other 2 I'm not sure of but wouldn't be surprised if they lived at home as well.

It's strange to think that some of the marlies players down the street from bmo would be on DP level salaries if they were mls players. Even the smallest salaries for those players is over 100k I believe

jloome
06-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Well I know Bekker still lives at home so his expenses are pretty small. The other 2 I'm not sure of but wouldn't be surprised if they lived at home as well.

It's strange to think that some of the marlies players down the street from bmo would be on DP level salaries if they were mls players. Even the smallest salaries for those players is over 100k I believe

Wow, who would've thought the AHL had gotten so inflated? I assumed you were kidding, then looked it up. The Marlies payroll is $3.8M and all but one player makes at least $60,000. Several make over $100,000 and there are even some DP numbers in there by MLS standards.

Wow.

Yohan
06-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Agreed.

Wasn't there footage, last season, of Frei putting together a fairly huge tifo?

We really should be looking elsewhere to make cuts.
See my avatar and sig

T-boy
06-05-2013, 12:15 PM
I was just thinking that same thing over the weekend.

Ran into Morgan, Bekker, and Henry Sat night... A friend I was with (who doesn't follow MLS) asked how much TFC players make.
That's when I realized that none of those three make as much (on paper anyway) as me or any of my friends I was out with!
And they have all played for CMNT in addition to TFC!

I mean I do alright, but am by no means wealthy... It was just so strange that these professional athletes who I pay to watch and cheer on in a big stadium do worse (on paper) than me.

Bekker, Morgan, and Henry all make more money than me, and I'm the manager of a $4m company! I'm beginning to think I'm way underpaid! Can I play for TFC and break $50k? :p

Ultra & Proud
06-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Bekker, Morgan, and Henry all make more money than me, and I'm the manager of a $4m company! I'm beginning to think I'm way underpaid! Can I play for TFC and break $50k? :p
Yeah, me too and I provide health care. WTF?

Marc"2L"
06-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Yeah, me too and I provide health care. WTF?

Yeah this thread got really depressing with all the income comparisons. Not everybody here works in Toronto or works at all unfortunately. Back to speculation please!

I don't know, I wouldn't want to lose Frei but I have to think its for the better.
Im just curious why Philly killed the deal, more FO clusterphoque... Jeez
:(

Pint
06-05-2013, 01:41 PM
@torontofc: Danny Califf regrets he can not attend Tim Hortons Camp Day at Yonge-Dundas, @SHAQALDINHO will take his place at 3 p.m.

May be nothing or he may be on the move.... I speculate that he has been moved.

MartinUtd
06-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Apparently Guevara still wants to play.... for NYRB. Not that I think it's of any consequence, but here's the Tribal Football link:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/honduras-ace-guevara-eager-nyrb-return-3961511#.Ua-GLJxkB4M

brad
06-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Yeah this thread got really depressing with all the income comparisons. Not everybody here works in Toronto or works at all unfortunately. Back to speculation please!

I don't know, I wouldn't want to lose Frei but I have to think its for the better.
Im just curious why Philly killed the deal, more FO clusterphoque... Jeez
:(

What was said was that Philly thought they would look bad bringing Califf back again.

flamehawk
06-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Apparently Guevara still wants to play.... for NYRB. Not that I think it's of any consequence, but here's the Tribal Football link:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/honduras-ace-guevara-eager-nyrb-return-3961511#.Ua-GLJxkB4M

That makes me jealous! Why can't he say he wants to play for TFC :( Though I can see pretty well as to why that is.

sidvan
06-05-2013, 08:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOrKo8z25E&feature=youtu.be

billyfly
06-05-2013, 09:09 PM
^Apparently he wants to sit with Me and Vic.

Morlesio14
06-05-2013, 09:39 PM
I have no confidence is us bringing in that player, I don't have much confidence about what's going on anymore

BuSaPuNk
06-05-2013, 10:20 PM
^ I have a hard time too. It's two new guys yeah there all top dogs but the guys that are there are the same guys that's always been here. Clean house of the same 7 plus years of guys and lets start this fresh.

OgtheDim
06-05-2013, 10:21 PM
More of the same message.

He wants at least one marquee DP. Payne is willing to work on getting that and Nelsen to work with that player.

He wants a winner. He has put down his marker as repeated MLS championships. Not just playoffs. He wants a dynasty. And he knows that will take time. And he is giving KP, and Nelsen some time to get there. And if they don't, he will find somebody else who will.

We are not used to that language here in Canada. Its the language of the Lakers and the Yankees and Alabama Football and US Olympic teams.

The closest thing we have to this is Canadian curling and Olympic hockey. And there, we are still understated.

I like this. It will either fly REALLY high and go to the moon. Or it will burn up in the sun. But it will be far more interesting and professional then Mo and Preki.

Haddy
06-05-2013, 11:54 PM
I like this. It will either fly REALLY high and go to the moon. Or it will burn up in the sun. But it will be far more interesting and professional then Mo and Preki.

Can't argue with that. I watch with cautious optimism.

Should be just a couple weeks before the floodgates open and the musical chairs game begins again.

West220Side
06-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Stoke City release Jermaine Pennant (previously linked), Matthew Upson, Rory Delap, Matthew Lund, and Dean Whitehead. They'll be plenty of free transfers coming out of the premiership soon enough and hopefully with the ever changing MLS we can snap a few up instead of letting them waste in lower table premiership sides, future promoted teams in the championship, and newly promoted sides like Hull.

West220Side
06-06-2013, 09:08 AM
There's some good players in the premiership without a contract this off-season and i'm sure some of them (even the more valueable ones) could be tempted with a move to MLS.

Here's a list:
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/vertragsende/basics_GB1.html

couple names I saw on that list were two reading boys that i've seen play a few times (not in person) Noel Hunt and Simon Church both are strikers. Interesting enough with Robert Earnshaw and Darren O'dea here guys with international caps can start to be tempted more towards an MLS move.

and of course who wouldn't like a Chris Brunt or Martin Figueroa but I think those players are still out of our reach.

flamehawk
06-06-2013, 09:19 AM
There's some good players in the premiership without a contract this off-season and i'm sure some of them (even the more valueable ones) could be tempted with a move to MLS.

Here's a list:
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/vertragsende/basics_GB1.html

couple names I saw on that list were two reading boys that i've seen play a few times (not in person) Noel Hunt and Simon Church both are strikers. Interesting enough with Robert Earnshaw and Darren O'dea here guys with international caps can start to be tempted more towards an MLS move.

and of course who wouldn't like a Chris Brunt or Martin Figueroa but I think those players are still out of our reach.

We don't really need anyone at that position, but Frimpong would be amazing.

Haddy
06-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Galaxy after Dos Santos (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?33646-2013-MLS-(non-TFC)-transfer-rumours-thread&p=1589368&viewfull=1#post1589368) (link to thread)

West220Side
06-06-2013, 09:26 AM
We don't really need anyone at that position, but Frimpong would be amazing.

I would have to disagree with you there, sir.
We need players in all positions. It just appears CURRENTLY we don't need certain pieces, but in all honesty you think this is the "core group" that Payne/Nelsen want to take to an MLS cup?
We're gonna be dropping pieces this summer transfer window, and this off season, and they'll need to be replaced by top quality. Which really you're not gonna find in this pile of footballers, these are guys with experience and leadership that are valueable to have around.

But a Noel Hunt/Simon Church is more of an asset at forward. I've been thinking Chris Wood too ever since we got Nelsen as our coach and he brought Brockie and Oughton on staff/squad.

If you think we're going to have Koevermans/Earnshaw as our strikers for much longer you're dreaming, no offense but we only have two strikers & we should be actively shopping for their replacements. Even if you like them, they can't play forever. Koevermans should retire with us, sooner rather than later and Rongen should give him a role in the academy teaching boys how to finsh, the guys brilliant.

Galaxy after Dos Santos (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?33646-2013-MLS-(non-TFC)-transfer-rumours-thread&p=1589368&viewfull=1#post1589368) (link to thread)

He would be an excellent pick up for us, but we just don't have the quality of a squad to be bringing in a player like him. So we'll miss out, we need a better quality of squad overall before we start bringing in these guys. It's going to be Laba and a "big name" creative midfielder, and once Danny goes we'll sign another young designated player. There's no doubt in my mind thats whats going to happen. One old guy, two young guys.

Haddy
06-06-2013, 09:50 AM
It's going to be Laba and a "big name" creative midfielder, and once Danny goes we'll sign another young designated player. There's no doubt in my mind thats whats going to happen. One old guy, two young guys.

Anyone willing to speculate whether or not TFC will actually pay a transfer for the older DP? I'd wager they would pay a healthy transfer for the other youngin' to match with Laba but the older DP would have to come on a free. I get that Leiweke said they have money, but I can't see them forking out too much for a 30+ on top of the annual salary. Doesn't mean they can't get a star...there was no transfer fee for Becks.

1 mid, 1 fwd.

Detroit_TFC
06-06-2013, 09:51 AM
I doubt any of the released Stoke players are looking for a move to MLS but it would be worthwhile for RN to at least talk to some of them and find out.

flamehawk
06-06-2013, 09:52 AM
I would have to disagree with you there, sir.
We need players in all positions. It just appears CURRENTLY we don't need certain pieces, but in all honesty you think this is the "core group" that Payne/Nelsen want to take to an MLS cup?
We're gonna be dropping pieces this summer transfer window, and this off season, and they'll need to be replaced by top quality. Which really you're not gonna find in this pile of footballers, these are guys with experience and leadership that are valueable to have around.

But a Noel Hunt/Simon Church is more of an asset at forward. I've been thinking Chris Wood too ever since we got Nelsen as our coach and he brought Brockie and Oughton on staff/squad.

If you think we're going to have Koevermans/Earnshaw as our strikers for much longer you're dreaming, no offense but we only have two strikers & we should be actively shopping for their replacements. Even if you like them, they can't play forever. Koevermans should retire with us, sooner rather than later and Rongen should give him a role in the academy teaching boys how to finsh, the guys brilliant.

He would be an excellent pick up for us, but we just don't have the quality of a squad to be bringing in a player like him. So we'll miss out, we need a better quality of squad overall before we start bringing in these guys. It's going to be Laba and a "big name" creative midfielder, and once Danny goes we'll sign another young designated player. There's no doubt in my mind thats whats going to happen. One old guy, two young guys.

I am just talking about the DM position that Frimpong plays, given we got Laba there and Hall has been playing well (also, even though Dunfield is a little suspect, he's good enough as a backup). Frimpong would come in on DP money, and I am not sure it's wise to spend two DP positions at DM. Other spots are higher priority.

West220Side
06-06-2013, 10:02 AM
It absolutely couldn't hurt to have Laba as a young designated player next year, just behind an older Ronaldinho/Kaka with some young lad storming up and down the wings.
I won't be happy until we're telling teams in Europe to fuck off away from our promising young players.

BuSaPuNk
06-06-2013, 11:07 AM
I doubt any of the released Stoke players are looking for a move to MLS but it would be worthwhile for RN to at least talk to some of them and find out.

Yeah there's no harm. Would really love Whitehead. He's a fucking beast.

Connon_1991
06-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Richard Dunne got released from Villa...What you think of picking him up on a free? He is a bit slow but he is a decent center back.

smtavare
06-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Richard Dunne got released from Villa...What you think of picking him up on a free? He is a bit slow but he is a decent center back.

Another CB??? I don't think so!

WE FUCKIN NEED CREATIVE MF AND WINGERS ...FFS:facepalm:

T-boy
06-06-2013, 12:16 PM
We definitely don't need any more changes to the defense. We don't actually conceded very many goals, that's not our main problem. We need to outscore teams, not out clean sheet them! We are about 3 players short of being a decent team - 2 good wingers and a creative force in the middle.

Personally, I would also like a "veteran" goalkeeper. Mark Schwartz on the list stands out to me. I love Bendik, but sometimes a calm veteran head in goal makes a massive difference to your whole team.

West220Side
06-06-2013, 02:44 PM
We definitely don't need any more changes to the defense. We don't actually conceded very many goals, that's not our main problem. We need to outscore teams, not out clean sheet them! We are about 3 players short of being a decent team - 2 good wingers and a creative force in the middle.

Personally, I would also like a "veteran" goalkeeper. Mark Schwartz on the list stands out to me. I love Bendik, but sometimes a calm veteran head in goal makes a massive difference to your whole team.

Veteran players throughout the team make a huge difference, especially with what Ryan Nelsen seems to be going for, and thats youth. Steven Caldwell on the backline telling guys what way to go, Frings last year, leading by example, Koevermans saying what needed to be said, and scoring goals for fun out of almost nothing. Garbage goals? Sure he was at the post and tapped the ball in. Do I care? hell no. he's a beaut.

Prof
06-07-2013, 09:28 AM
http://static.transfermarkt.net/bilder/minifotos/s_46845_2079_2012_1.jpg
Carlos Costly (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/carlos-costly/transfers/spieler_46845.html)

Striker, 30 Years

is out of contract, has MLS experience while in Houston and would fit in nicely with TFC.

BuSaPuNk
06-07-2013, 09:34 AM
^ might be too Costly lmao couldn't help it

Red I
06-07-2013, 10:00 AM
^ might be too Costly lmao couldn't help it

...ugh that's terrible. So why did i laugh?

Canary10
06-07-2013, 10:26 AM
This was in the Guardian today (in an article putting together an 11 from players released so far):

Right midfield: Jermaine Pennant, Stoke, 30Seven years ago he was worth £6.7m of Liverpool's money, and Stoke spent £1.7m on him back in 2011, but he seldom played and frequently rowed with Tony Pulis. Now he's considered likely to go to Toronto, or somewhere else on the other side of the Atlantic.

TFC07
06-07-2013, 10:32 AM
http://static.transfermarkt.net/bilder/minifotos/s_46845_2079_2012_1.jpg
Carlos Costly (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/carlos-costly/transfers/spieler_46845.html)

Striker, 30 Years

is out of contract, has MLS experience while in Houston and would fit in nicely with TFC.

LOL @ He's Honduran Collin Samuel

tfcleeds
06-07-2013, 10:45 AM
This was in the Guardian today (in an article putting together an 11 from players released so far):

Right midfield: Jermaine Pennant, Stoke, 30

Seven years ago he was worth £6.7m of Liverpool's money, and Stoke spent £1.7m on him back in 2011, but he seldom played and frequently rowed with Tony Pulis. Now he's considered likely to go to Toronto, or somewhere else on the other side of the Atlantic.

He'd tear this league.......ah, never mind.

Red I
06-07-2013, 10:49 AM
http://twentyfour7football.com/delap-upson-and-pennant-released-by-stoke-8761

Pennant, 30, has been linked with a move to the MLS in recent months, with Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps reported to be interested in the former Liverpool player.

Marc"2L"
06-07-2013, 12:39 PM
http://twentyfour7football.com/delap-upson-and-pennant-released-by-stoke-8761

We've gone over this before.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/stoke-citys-jermaine-pennant-charged-with-drinkdriving-after-car-crash-7697142.html

no

Red I
06-07-2013, 02:24 PM
We've gone over this before.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/stoke-citys-jermaine-pennant-charged-with-drinkdriving-after-car-crash-7697142.html

no

Meh, the guy will live downtown - they'll be no need to drive anywhere. :hide:

The reason Vancouver and Toronto are interested are probably because the US will refuse him, but Canada may be more lenient in this regard. I have no basis for that arguement, it's just what i've been told.

...Wait a sec, this happened last year? Man, this guy was 29 and still acting the fool??

Connon_1991
06-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Another CB??? I don't think so!

WE FUCKIN NEED CREATIVE MF AND WINGERS ...FFS:facepalm:

Lets not kid ourselfs were struggling at the back... were losing goals every game we need someone back there who will organize it like Caldwell does... two players like him in the center of defence and you would see a difference.. Then keep O'dea at left back FFS

Ultra & Proud
06-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Lets not kid ourselfs were struggling at the back... were losing goals every game we need someone back there who will organize it like Caldwell does... two players like him in the center of defence and you would see a difference.. Then keep O'dea at left back FFS
Allowing 1 or 2 goals per match is not struggling at the back. The past six seasons, save some of Preki's year, we struggled at the back. Not being able to manage 1 goal per match is our problem and not being able to keep possession when it counts leads to all our problems.

Don't understand some people's thinking. We could lose 5 games in a row 1-0 and people would still be bitching about the defense. :facepalm:

Maybe it's just me but I think it's hard to win a whole lotta matches when you average under a goal per match.

Red I
06-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Allowing 1 or 2 goals per match is not struggling at the back. The past six seasons, save some of Preki's year, we struggled at the back. Not being able to manage 1 goal per match is our problem and not being able to keep possession when it counts leads to all our problems.

Don't understand some people's thinking. We could lose 5 games in a row 1-0 and people would still be bitching about the defense. :facepalm:

Maybe it's just me but I think it's hard to win a whole lotta matches when you average under a goal per match.

Ya, central defence is fine, even the young lads are doing okay there, save the occasional brainfart, but being young and quick, they can recover prety well. Fullbacks though, yikes... O'Dea's been the most effective there, and it's not what he was brought here to be. Improvement there would be nice, but ya, biggest need is creating chances

Ultra & Proud
06-07-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm not a big fan of O'Dea at FB really. Defensivelt he is good but I prefer something going forward more especially with our, at times, dead zone midfield.

moralis
06-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Not the guy I thought TFC would go after, but it seems Toronto FC and Seattle Sounders are interested in signing Inter Milan midfielder Dejan Stankovic:

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri (https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri) 21m (https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/343125504481701888) Dejan Stankovic to join MLS. He will sign for Seattle or Toronto, according to Sky Italy

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/343125504481701888

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dejan_Stankovi%C4%87

He's more of a central midfielder like Torsten Frings. TFC need a dynamic and creative attacking midfielder. Not saying TFC will sign him, but we need someone like KAKA.

Haddy
06-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Not the guy I thought TFC would go after, but it seems Toronto FC and Seattle Sounders are interested in signing Inter Milan midfielder Dejan Stankovic:

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri (https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri) 21m (https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/343125504481701888) Dejan Stankovic to join MLS. He will sign for Seattle or Toronto, according to Sky Italy

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/343125504481701888

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dejan_Stankovi%C4%87

He's more of a central midfielder like Torsten Frings. TFC need a dynamic and creative attacking midfielder. Not saying TFC will sign him, but we need someone like KAKA.

Reputable source. Thanks for this.

Kaka's renewed contract doesn't expire until 2015. Too pricey for a transfer. On a free, I could deal with Deki for 0.5-1.5 seasons. But can his 34-year-old legs handle the wear and tear of MLS?

Ivy
06-07-2013, 05:55 PM
ohhh baby... give me Stankovic, Furlan, and Milito. Send Califf and Dunfield to Inter. I can smell this coming!!!
edit: Throw in some allocation money to Inter, just to make it even - maybe a second round draft pick.

BuSaPuNk
06-07-2013, 06:26 PM
^ Wow easy there Rob Ford. Put the crack pipe down and take a breath. lol

Yohan
06-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Stankovic = frings version 2?

West220Side
06-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Rangers can have Arnold Peralta, give me Fraser Aird and Luca Gasparotto.

nonc
06-08-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm surprised there are no Serbs or Croatians (especially Croatians) in MLS yet. I think we all know how elite their national programs are and a lot of the internationals or fringe internationals play in their domestic league for modest wages. It's like an obvious gold mine that nobody can be bothered to scout.

JohnnyEnglish
06-08-2013, 04:08 AM
I'm surprised there are no Serbs or Croatians (especially Croatians) in MLS yet. I think we all know how elite their national programs are and a lot of the internationals or fringe internationals play in their domestic league for modest wages. It's like an obvious gold mine that nobody can be bothered to scout.

The domestic leagues are pretty appalling though. With the exception of Vrsaljko from Zagreb i can't think of anyone even worth a look? There may well be a few Croatians moving around the lower leagues in Europe in the coming future with Croatia joining the EU this summer i guess.

We still haven't tapped into many of the closer markets in North or south America. It's a lot harder to attract younger players from Europe, the MLS is almost a horizontal step in terms of furthering career potential, especially if you're from a club like Zagreb who get a shot at Europe most seasons.

Haddy
06-08-2013, 07:21 AM

My wife's been preaching that since '07. She's a tad bias though ;)

Relja
06-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Well we should be able to grab some Serbians or Croatians who are on the end of their careers. Maybe Ivica Olic and Stankovic?

Oldtimer
06-08-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm surprised there are no Serbs or Croatians (especially Croatians) in MLS yet.

TFC had two Serbs on it's roster in the past, Alen Stevanović and Miloš Kocić.

nonc
06-08-2013, 10:23 AM
The domestic leagues are pretty appalling though. With the exception of Vrsaljko from Zagreb i can't think of anyone even worth a look? There may well be a few Croatians moving around the lower leagues in Europe in the coming future with Croatia joining the EU this summer i guess.

We still haven't tapped into many of the closer markets in North or south America. It's a lot harder to attract younger players from Europe, the MLS is almost a horizontal step in terms of furthering career potential, especially if you're from a club like Zagreb who get a shot at Europe most seasons.

There are many teams from each league that would be worth looking in to their 1st teams and youth players. In fact not targeting Zagreb or Partizan would probably yield even more lucratively low prices. They simply buy the best young players from other domestic teams anyway. They monopolize not with millions but with hundreds of thousands of dollars. Experienced players are fine but going after the 18-21 year olds is what would make it worthwhile. Dino Spehar as an example of what you can find for pocket change.

I am as pleased as anyone that TFC have finally made progress in South America and will be happy to continue as such. Payne says it is the best bang for your buck which I don't disagree with but I think he means it more in the DP sense, as well as there's a degree of insurance getting a player who has been developed at one of the preeminent Argentine clubs. South Americans have been selling players a long time and know what they are doing and how to get payed off to the max, Laba was no different. Michu's transfer wasn't even double Laba's and that involved big teams and big leagues.

But if you wanna talk non-DPs which is more important, you're probably not gonna get a better player for $175-300K than a Serb or Croat who has had international experience or been in that conversation. They'd be interested in MLS for a number of reasons, the main one we can pay them more even as non-DPs.

TFC had two Serbs on it's roster in the past, Alen Stevanović and Miloš Kocić.

Neglected to recall them, although I don't think there is anyone but Kocic in MLS at the moment? Stevanovic has made significant progress in his career and is still very young.