PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35]

flamehawk
10-28-2013, 03:37 PM
from Larson latest article:

Ryan Nelson: “(Koevermans) gets paid what he gets paid (around $1.5 million). He gets paid and extraordinary amount. Imagine the guy who’s on $35,000 who turns up every single day and doesn’t need any arms around his shoulders and works his backside off.”

brings it into more context

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/koevermans-frei-eckersley-say-their-piece-at-post-season-presser/#.Um65yKw5mRs.twitter

ok that doesn't sound as bad. But hopefully Nelsen supports the push for wage increase and I do believe koev was geniuen in raising the issue

habstfc
10-28-2013, 03:41 PM
If Rey is gone I'll lose my shit. He and Laba in the midfield were the two best acquisitions of the year. No one else on the team can beat guys 1 v 1, hell, 1 v 3 like Rey can. He adds an element of creativity that they need to find more of, not get rid of. I agree. Laba, Rey, and Caldwell are good signings for us. Like you, I too will lose my shit if Rey goes.

ag futbol
10-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Rollins speculating is not TFC talking.
To be fair, Rollins problem is that he mixes his own opinion with things that should be reported objectively and sometimes uses shaky logic. He got burned on the Nesta story, but his rumours and speculation are usually correct.

ag futbol
10-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Kelly has an article up on the star now that better explains that quote. It isn't meant to be taken regarding the level of pay the back end of the roster is receiving, but if you look at what he is trying to address (coach communication with players) it's still a pretty dumb comment by Nelsen.

mcolvy
10-28-2013, 05:47 PM
I have not heard of any #10 strikers being connected with TFC...Lampard isnt a #10 in Nelsens system..

How about Giovinco? He isnt seeing much playing time right now....and he is just hitting his prime.

notthesun
10-28-2013, 05:56 PM
I have not heard of any #10 strikers being connected with TFC...Lampard isnt a #10 in Nelsens system..

How about Giovinco? He isnt seeing much playing time right now....and he is just hitting his prime.

Juve wouldn't get rid of Quagliarella and him at the same time. But Giovinco is at a top club in what are generally the prime years of a player's career, I seriously doubt he'd agree to move to MLS, especially considering he's looking to be a fixture in the national team beyond the upcoming WC. He isn't a playmaker either. If we're dreaming of getting a #10 who's in their prime the rumors of us going after Maxi Moralez make more sense (still a long shot though). He's an actual playmaker and has been solid at a less prestigious club, but not so great the big clubs are going after him. In that sense convincing him to come over would be easier, but again, a long shot.

ensco
10-28-2013, 06:26 PM
I just hate the way Nelsen handles these things. What a disappointment. Again.

What Koevermans gets paid has nothing to do with the validity of what Koevermans said today. Just say: "I'm surprised Danny said that. I'd like to talk to him privately about that. He was an important part of things here for a while."

No matter who it is, or where he came from, TFC always has the coach or GM who has to take childish shots, instead of showing some class.

Richard
10-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Kelly has an article up on the star now that better explains that quote. It isn't meant to be taken regarding the level of pay the back end of the roster is receiving, but if you look at what he is trying to address (coach communication with players) it's still a pretty dumb comment by Nelsen.

The apparent lack of communication between Nelsen and the players really irritates me, its not the first time we have heard this issue either as Danny Califf was left in the dark too.

Mr. Bigby
10-28-2013, 06:58 PM
The apparent lack of communication between Nelsen and the players really irritates me, its not the first time we have heard this issue either as Danny Califf was left in the dark too.

Judging by Larsen's tweets quoting Frei and Ecks, BOTH seem to indicate that they understood what Nelsen was/is doing, and both seemed to indicate that the lines of communication were quite open with Nelsen. Ecks particularly indicated that the coach sat down with him at the time of the Chicago game and explained the situation fully. Maybe it's a Dutch/Kiwi thing with Koovs, or maybe they are both just extremely disappointed with the situation - for different reasons.

notthesun
10-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Larson said according to his recordings Nelsen seemed to hint that Rey will be back.

cwell
10-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Rey is a good player, no doubt. Thing that bothers me about Rey is that he seems reluctant to pass the ball when the situation calls for it. He must have ignored Convey in a scoring position at least four times. Plus, he's making a lot of money for a winger.
If Rey is gone I'll lose my shit. He and Laba in the midfield were the two best acquisitions of the year. No one else on the team can beat guys 1 v 1, hell, 1 v 3 like Rey can. He adds an element of creativity that they need to find more of, not get rid of.

KRO
10-28-2013, 07:59 PM
With all the Koevs v Nelsen stuff that came out of the media day today (overblown I would say) I would prefer to focus on Caldwell.

He is our captain going forward and you have to say his leadership skills seem as impressive as his play has been this season.

With some key additions and him as leader on the field I think next season looks much more promising. Ryan Nelsen can be a bit 'snarky' when the media guys wind him up, but we have to give him much more time than one season. Take a deep breath guys - see you in March.

cwell
10-28-2013, 08:01 PM
I often wonder how guys at the bottom end of the scale manage. Must eat a lot of Kraft Dinners. Must also feel awkward when the guy next to you is making much more for the same amount of effort at training, etc. It's their choice, of course, but you have to wonder why anyone with a modest amount of talent would try to make a career out of MLS.
This league is generaly pretty stable now,therefore, now is the time they need to look at the salary cap, it needs to be raised more so for the guys at the bottom, 35 000 is just not right, at least raise it to 45 000 , still not great but a bit better.

cwell
10-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Could end up being what spoils RN for TL. He certainly must not have appreciated Payne's infamous and unnecessary "get used to it" statement. (I wonder if DeVos is happy about pulling that out of him?) RN said today that he has learned a lot during the season. I don't think that he's comfortable dealing with the press; most people wouldn't be; it's not natural. He needs a coach to help him develop ways of handling it better.

What Koevermans gets paid has nothing to do with the validity of what Koevermans said today. Just say: "I'm surprised Danny said that. I'd like to talk to him privately about that. He was an important part of things here for a while."

No matter who it is, or where he came from, TFC always has the coach or GM who has to take childish shots, instead of showing some class.

cwell
10-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Kro: I agree with you entirely.
With all the Koevs v Nelsen stuff that came out of the media day today (overblown I would say) I would prefer to focus on Caldwell.

He is our captain going forward and you have to say his leadership skills seem as impressive as his play has been this season.

With some key additions and him as leader on the field I think next season looks much more promising. Ryan Nelsen can be a bit 'snarky' when the media guys wind him up, but we have to give him much more time than one season. Take a deep breath guys - see you in March.

nonc
10-28-2013, 08:12 PM
I agree. Laba, Rey, and Caldwell are good signings for us. Like you, I too will lose my shit if Rey goes.

x3! Rey is already a cult hero to me TFC have never had a better winger not even close. His escapability, creativity, hold-up ability are what we've been looking for. Caldwell is class he plays at a very high level. Extremely commanding set piece presence on both sides of the field. He's helped Henry and the whole team a lot, defensive fortitude is no longer an oxymoron. An exciting middle of the park to look forward to Caldwell/Henry, Laba, Oso.

Happy for Bekker to get on the last couple games too, looks to have made progress from early in the year when he was following the ball around and easy to play against 1v1. Showed more composure made good passes and won some 50/50's. I don't think they'll cut him loose he may be a good sub/cover option for Osorio and hopefully DP CAM. Please not two DP strikers. :facepalm:

Ivy
10-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Like many people here, I was quick to judge Rey when he first joined because of his short resume, and unhappy look when he joined. But he proves to me every game that he is a quality player who gets better each week. AND he and Oso showed more love to fans in 112 than any other player after Saturdy's game.

OgtheDim
10-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Next time anybody posts anything said by Nelsen, I'm going to ask to see a video. Until then, I'll believe nothing I'm reading.

This has to have been the 10th time this season somebody has said Nelsen said x when really, he said y.

Its getting tiring people.

Seriously, if you can't back up a damnng Nelsen quote with a piece of video, you don't have a real quote.

OgtheDim
10-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Like many people here, I was quick to judge Rey when he first joined because of his short resume, and unhappy look when he joined. But he proves to me every game that he is a quality player who gets better each week. AND he and Oso showed more love to fans in 112 than any other player after Saturdy's game.

Rey's first home game, he came towards the supporters more then the most of the players and touched the badge.

He gets it.

jazzy
10-28-2013, 09:55 PM
If Rey is gone I'll lose my shit. He and Laba in the midfield were the two best acquisitions of the year. No one else on the team can beat guys 1 v 1, hell, 1 v 3 like Rey can. He adds an element of creativity that they need to find more of, not get rid of.
without those two the seasons .....definitely up in the clouds . AND then I know this mgmt team is just another lost cause.

Haddy
10-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Could end up being what spoils RN for TL. He certainly must not have appreciated Payne's infamous and unnecessary "get used to it" statement. (I wonder if DeVos is happy about pulling that out of him?) RN said today that he has learned a lot during the season. I don't think that he's comfortable dealing with the press; most people wouldn't be; it's not natural. He needs a coach to help him develop ways of handling it better.

He was a pro athlete for how many years - some of which facing English press? He has more than enough practice.

pdubs
10-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Nelson:
"We want them in as soon as possible," Nelsen explained. "If we have to pick [from] A and B and A is coming in January and B is coming in August, it's January. [TFC would take] a good DP that's going to score x amount of goals over a great DP who will come in August. Look, the team wants to get to the playoffs."

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=435310

ag futbol
10-28-2013, 11:41 PM
He was a pro athlete for how many years - some of which facing English press? He has more than enough practice.
Press access is Europe is different than it is here. Often protocol is one player from each team ( usually best performing players on the day)+ managers... That's it. Yes, there is much more scrutiny in the broader press, but in terms of someone throwing a mike in your face after having a bad game.... Unlikely.

Regardless, he's not an effective speaker.

burlington Red
10-29-2013, 07:35 AM
Few people were mentioning Spurs striker Adebayor recently as possible target. Turkish club Besiktas apparently back in for him again, possible Jan move.

brad
10-29-2013, 07:43 AM
I often wonder how guys at the bottom end of the scale manage. Must eat a lot of Kraft Dinners. Must also feel awkward when the guy next to you is making much more for the same amount of effort at training, etc. It's their choice, of course, but you have to wonder why anyone with a modest amount of talent would try to make a career out of MLS.

The same way everybody else on similar wages manages. You live with a roommate or two (in an area where rents are lower vs right downtown), you limit your discretionary spending, take transit instead of owning a car, shop at bulk stores and sales instead of Metro, ect. Plenty of people do it. I did it in my twenties, as did my most people I knew at that age.

Now, being in a professional sports context would certainly be a bit bizarre - being that you have other around you that are quite wealthy, and there are certain lifstyles that come along with it Assuming you are not trying to raise a family, it's not like it is difficult to live of $35k in this city, you just need to re-align your expectations.

Haddy
10-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Nelson:
"We want them in as soon as possible," Nelsen explained. "If we have to pick [from] A and B and A is coming in January and B is coming in August, it's January. [TFC would take] a good DP that's going to score x amount of goals over a great DP who will come in August. Look, the team wants to get to the playoffs."

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=435310

Thanks for that. Too bad TFC have yet to post RN's or Bez's interviews from yesterday online. Hopefully they get to it today.

Canary10
10-29-2013, 08:27 AM

I think Nelsen is, for lack of a better word, a bit of a meathead. He doesn't think on his feet, and gets led down traps way too easily.

PopePouri
10-29-2013, 08:36 AM
I don't see an issue. I watch Match of the Day every week and EVERY manager will blame the refs and will defend what they do with the club. Nelsen is no different.

Some of them will say boneheaded things like, for example, this week AVB called out the Tottenham fans for bringing a negative atmosphere during the Hull game.

Ivy
10-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Personally, I don't care what Ryan says or doesn't say. Give me a winning team, and you can call all the players over paid Cinderellas.

Mourinho calls his players unskilled children - but he puts out winning teams.

ag futbol
10-29-2013, 08:58 AM
I don't see an issue. I watch Match of the Day every week and EVERY manager will blame the refs and will defend what they do with the club. Nelsen is no different.

Some of them will say boneheaded things like, for example, this week AVB called out the Tottenham fans for bringing a negative atmosphere during the Hull game.
But that fits within their culture, it doesn't fit within our culture. A lot of premiership managers get away with this type of thing because there is a massive talent gap between certain teams and the concept of being screwed over one way or another resonates. And really, what are they supposed to say when they'll beat clubs like Manchester United one time in a hundred? They also have this weird concept of the manager "taking the pressure off the players" through saying inflammatory comments which could be more valid when you have very controlled press access.

Anyway, point being we can't expect this to be England / Europe / anywhere else in the world. People here want a sense of responsibility and a realistic road map to winning, not sob stories.

PopePouri
10-29-2013, 09:24 AM
But that fits within their culture, it doesn't fit within our culture. A lot of premiership managers get away with this type of thing because there is a massive talent gap between certain teams and the concept of being screwed over one way or another resonates. And really, what are they supposed to say when they'll beat clubs like Manchester United one time in a hundred? They also have this weird concept of the manager "taking the pressure off the players" through saying inflammatory comments which could be more valid when you have very controlled press access.

Anyway, point being we can't expect this to be England / Europe / anywhere else in the world. People here want a sense of responsibility and a realistic road map to winning, not sob stories.

I don't buy that because managers have said similar things to Nelsen here in the MLS. How many times has Arena blamed something this year? Refs? Schedule? Turf? Managers will be complete homers to their team when they're talking to the press.

nonc
10-29-2013, 09:59 AM
RE: living on a lower MLS wage - I'd speculate that TFC provide a basic rent allowance.

jabbronies
10-29-2013, 10:16 AM
I don't buy that because managers have said similar things to Nelsen here in the MLS. How many times has Arena blamed something this year? Refs? Schedule? Turf? Managers will be complete homers to their team when they're talking to the press.

Agreed - not all managers are PR people. Most of them are ex-players and the rest are just sports people.
In the heat of the match they don't go up to players are say "Hey Steve, if you could try and make sure you don't loose the ball in the mid so much, that would be great". They say "Smarten the fuck up and keep your fucking head in the game. Next time make sure you don't loose that ball".

This isn't a corporate environment (at least it shouldn't be). It's professional sports environment. It's not about wether or not it happens in Europe/SAmerica etc. This type of intertactin by managers transcends country. It happens everywhere in this working environment and IMO should be happening here.

You see it in the NBA, NFL, NHL. It's not foreign for mangers to go off on players, say inflammatory things about player/team etc.

jloome
10-29-2013, 10:23 AM
RE: living on a lower MLS wage - I'd speculate that TFC provide a basic rent allowance.

You would speculate incorrectly. Several of the lower-wage players usually split an apartment, but there's never been a suggestion of other subsidies, which would likely violate the league's collective agreement by being off the books.

(It might happen, particularly with certain underpaid players in Montreal; but officially, no.)

jloome
10-29-2013, 10:24 AM
I think Nelsen is, for lack of a better word, a bit of a meathead. He doesn't think on his feet, and gets led down traps way too easily.

I think he's a Kiwi; my best friend's from there, sort of (half of the family), and they're pretty blunt if they think it's an honest assessment.

ag futbol
10-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Bruce Arena also wins championships, makes the playoffs and has an established reputation.

At some point I will literally go through Nelsen's press quotes every game and post them here. He is by far leading the league in excuses, bad reffing, and "deserving better". He doesn't miss a beat, every game is something

Canary10
10-29-2013, 10:31 AM
I think he's a Kiwi; my best friend's from there, sort of (half of the family), and they're pretty blunt if they think it's an honest assessment.

Kiwi meathead? :)

Richard
10-29-2013, 10:33 AM
I thought an MLSE condo unit is loaned to some lower paid TFC players? Honestly, that shouldnt be an off the book offense all thibgs considered.

jloome
10-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Kiwi meathead? :)

Maybe. It's an astonishingly conservative nation -- a fair number of people never bothered to replace their old rotary dial phones until forced because it seemed wasteful, he was telling me. But most Kiwis I've met have seemed quite bright and well-spoken, so I doubt it's a cultural institution to be meatheaded. You get more of that in northeastern Australia - or western Canada, lol.

Marc"2L"
10-29-2013, 10:59 AM
You would speculate incorrectly. Several of the lower-wage players usually split an apartment, but there's never been a suggestion of other subsidies, which would likely violate the league's collective agreement by being off the books.

(It might happen, particularly with certain underpaid players in Montreal; but officially, no.)

I really want to know the source of this "Montreal players get paid under the table thing"
I totally believe it, but I just want to see it myself sort of.

ManUtd4ever
10-29-2013, 11:00 AM
As others have mentioned, I have no issues with Nelsen's demeanor off the pitch as long as he can lead this team on a positive trajectory moving forward.

Canary10
10-29-2013, 11:06 AM
As others have mentioned, I have no issues with Nelsen's demeanor off the pitch as long as he can lead this team on a positive trajectory moving forward.

A massive part of the job of being a football manager these days, in any country and any league, is media relations. He's not been effective in this part of the job. He's got a good chunk of the fanbase pissed off at him for no real reason. Who knows, maybe referees have it out for him, and are a bit more strict on TFC than other teams? That's the kind of stuff you can work to your advantage if you're smart about it.

burlington Red
10-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Neslen certainly has flaws, like all managers do, but his level of complaining etc is a non starter for me. Tactics, man management, squad rotation, player selction etc are attributes you target when discussing a manger's faults, not how his level of complaining in post game interviews.

jabbronies
10-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Neslen certainly has flaws, like all managers do, but his level of complaining etc is a non starter for me. Tactics, man management, squad rotation, player selction etc are attributes you target when discussing a manger's faults, not how his level of complaining in post game interviews.

BAM! Right here.
Rate him on what he was hired to do - manage a football team.

I'm not sure why people think he's going to come out and say:
"Well XX players played like shit this week that's why we lost"

and then the following week say
"Ya XX players are still playing like shit that's why we lost again. Same shit every week from these guys eh?"

"XX players are still shit, but we can't seem to get rid of him at the moment so we're just going to have to keep playing him till we can get rid of him"

gdg_9
10-29-2013, 11:17 AM
I really want to know the source of this "Montreal players get paid under the table thing"
I totally believe it, but I just want to see it myself sort of.

It's speculation based on circumstance...

Nesta, arguable the best defender of his generation, could have EASILY gone for a big payday in some other league.
Instead he comes to Montreal for a paltry (by his standards) $300k?

It just doesn't add up.

Add to that the fact that he's from Italy, Montreal's owner is of Italian heritage, and that Montreal is well-known as a city that has major issues with mafia connections and curruption...

Voila! - It's assumed something is going on under the table.

Super
10-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Personally, I don't care what Ryan says or doesn't say. Give me a winning team, and you can call all the players over paid Cinderellas.

Mourinho calls his players unskilled children - but he puts out winning teams.

Exactly! At the end of the day it's about winning. Problem is that Nelsen hasn't been able to produce a winner - although I understand he hasn't exactly had all the right tools. Now he gets an off-season plus a ton of cash, so starting March there will be no more excuses. We can't go through another season full of excuses. Refs are bad - but that applies to everyone. Time to win some games!

Haddy
10-29-2013, 11:51 AM
He's got a good chunk of the fanbase pissed off at him for no real reason.

Losing. It's easy to blame the manager, no matter the circumstances.

Add to that the fact that he's from Italy, Montreal's owner is of Italian heritage, and that Montreal is well-known as a city that has major issues with mafia connections and curruption...

As someone of Sicilian heritage (mother), I take serious offense to this generalization / speculation. Saputo has never been tied to the Rizzuto crime family, or any other, and those bad apples shouldn't paint the picture for a whole community.

There are other ways MLS salaries can be reduced, like allocation. On top of that, none of us have any clue as to what Nesta's options truly were at the time of signing or what salary he was looking for. It's all assumptions.

Red I
10-29-2013, 11:51 AM
BAM! Right here.
Rate him on what he was hired to do - manage a football team.

I'm not sure why people think he's going to come out and say:
"Well XX players played like shit this week that's why we lost"

"Ya XX players are still playing like shit that's why we lost again. Same shit every week from these guys eh?"

"XX players are still shit, but we can't seem to get rid of him at the moment so we're just going to have to keep playing him till we can get rid of him"

:iagree:

Like mentioned previously, Nelsen has a certain personality; whether cultural or learned from being a pro for a bunch of years in MLS and the EPL, the guy handles the media and general scrutiny of the team by deflecting blame to luck and praising effort by a team whom he is well aware is simply is not good enough to compete with the better teams of the league. It's fair to criticize his lamentations as simplistic and self-serving, but the question is, what is the alternative? He simply does not throw players under the bus. We do not know what is said behind closed doors, what he does after a player had a howler of a game and what he does at practice to ensure the player learns from his mistakes - please explain to me how handling of the media is in any way a reflection of an athlete's ability or performance - i would extend that arguement to coaching as well

There is no motivation for a coach to tell you what he really feels - you can say he owes it to us as fans, but if honesty is detrimental to what he hopes to accomplish or does his team a disservice somehow, why would he choose to show true colours?

The hope is that he may be a little more forthcoming once he fields a team he has full confidence in.

Richard
10-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Maybe he needs to break out the thesaurus haha, gets a little annoying hearing the same thing every week.

Canary10
10-29-2013, 12:01 PM

As someone of Sicilian heritage (mother), I take serious offense to this generalization / speculation. Saputo has never been tied to the Rizzuto crime family, or any other, and those bad apples shouldn't paint the picture for a whole community.

There are other ways MLS salaries can be reduced, like allocation. On top of that, none of us have any clue as to what Nesta's options truly were at the time of signing or what salary he was looking for. It's all assumptions.

Losing is part of it, but people talk more about his deflection of blame for the losing than the losing itself. Or other issues, like going after Koevermans yesterday, his treatment of Eckersley, telling David Miller off, etc etc. Those are all in his control if he's smarter about it. Being media savvy absolutely is part of the manager job in football, and he should be judged on it.

This whole topic probably should be in his annual rating, not in player movement.

gdg_9
10-29-2013, 12:01 PM

I just want to clarify...

I didn't say I personally agree with that reasoning, but I definitely think it is a factor in why the rumours have spread and remained so prevalent and generally accepted.

Maybe it didn't come across properly in text...

But someone asked where these rumours came from.
I think that is a factor in how/why the rumours started.
That doesn't mean it is right or accurate.

Haddy
10-29-2013, 12:07 PM
I just want to clarify...

I didn't say I personally agree with that reasoning, but I definitely think it is a factor in why the rumours have spread and remained so prevalent and generally accepted.

No worries, I trust you gdg_9. It's a generalization that I've dealt with my whole life. Unfortunately I'm not surprised others out there so easily use that as the explanation they prefer.

ag futbol
10-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Communication matters. Be it with the players or with the media. They don't exist separately in a bubble.

Yes other managers in others places have said other things. You know what that's all about? Context. Don't think they are simply unruly oafs who just spout out whatever comes to their minds. The messages might sound brash at times but look below the surface, they are very tactical. The examples given here are from some very smart and cunning people, they would make mince meat of what Nelsen is stumbling over.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
10-29-2013, 12:19 PM
It's speculation based on circumstance...he's from Italy, Montreal's owner is of Italian heritage, and that Montreal is well-known as a city that has major issues with mafia connections and curruption...

I tried not to take part in this bit of OT jibber-jabber, but it is offensive to suggest that people who allude to the Limpact's organized crime connections are "making assumptions" based only on "Italian hertitage". The only speculative part is the stuff about Nesta. It is not speculative to say that Giuseppe Saputo (Joe's dad) has actual, documented connections with the Bonanno crime family, and that there have been more recent allegations both here and in Italy about the next generation of the Saputo family laundering hundreds of millions of Rizzuto family money.

:topic:

jabbronies
10-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Communication matters. Be it with the players or with the media. They don't exist separately in a bubble.

Yes other managers in others places have said other things. You know what that's all about? Context. Don't think they are simply unruly oafs who just spout out whatever comes to their minds. The messages might sound brash at times but look below the surface, they are very tactical. The examples given here are from some very smart and cunning people, they would make mince meat of what Nelsen is stumbling over.

I hate using my only interaction with Nelsen as a base for my point, but it's all I have lol. But to me his answer solidified my thoughts on him as someone who has played/trained at the highest level - both in MLS and over in one of the "The Big Leagues" - and understands the game the way a manager should - A combo most players don't have:

I called him out on what he's been deploying both in terms of training and game strategy this season, both first team and academy.
They are playing a safe style of football that doesn't have anything moving forward - It's stringent play your position football and doesn't have legs in the changing game.
His answer was - At the moment, we can only work to the strengths of what we have with our players. And right now that means working on strengthening the basic fundamentals of the game.

I remember this line like it was said to me 5 minutes ago. He essentially said the players they have are so elemenatary in thier skill - be it physical or mental - that he can't even deploy the tactics he wants. He went on to say that they are looking for 6-8 starters... THAT'S MORE THAN HALF THE STARTING LINEUP.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that he is making excuses - but realistically do you think he's going to say anything else? You don't think these reporters have tried every angle?

Maybe it's not Nelsen but the reporters why are just shit at asking questions.

Super
10-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Not sure if anyone posted this yet - about Jermain Defoe offer:
http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/29/jermain-defoe-eyed-up-for-shock-toronto-fc-transfer-4165844/

gdg_9
10-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Not sure if anyone posted this yet - about Jermain Defoe offer:
http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/29/jermain-defoe-eyed-up-for-shock-toronto-fc-transfer-4165844/

That writer in the UK is just taking the quotes Nelson gave KJ for this TSN piece:
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/Kristian_Jack/?id=435310

Pint
10-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Not sure where to put this: @dshoalts: Leiweke on what's ahead for Toronto FC: This is the team we'll turn around quickest. We'll make the playoffs next year. Write it down.

ManUtd4ever
10-29-2013, 12:49 PM
I seriously wish that Leiweke would just keep his mouth shut for a change and quietly go about his business behind the scenes.

Let your actions do the talking Tim.

ensco
10-29-2013, 12:53 PM
I hate using my only interaction with Nelsen as a base for my point, but it's all I have lol. But to me his answer solidified my thoughts on him as someone who has played/trained at the highest level - both in MLS and over in one of the "The Big Leagues" - and understands the game the way a manager should - A combo most players don't have:

I called him out on what he's been deploying both in terms of training and game strategy this season, both first team and academy.
They are playing a safe style of football that doesn't have anything moving forward - It's stringent play your position football and doesn't have legs in the changing game.
His answer was - At the moment, we can only work to the strengths of what we have with our players. And right now that means working on strengthening the basic fundamentals of the game.

I remember this line like it was said to me 5 minutes ago. He essentially said the players they have are so elemenatary in thier skill - be it physical or mental - that he can't even deploy the tactics he wants. He went on to say that they are looking for 6-8 starters... THAT'S MORE THAN HALF THE STARTING LINEUP.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that he is making excuses - but realistically do you think he's going to say anything else? You don't think these reporters have tried every angle?

Maybe it's not Nelsen but the reporters why are just shit at asking questions.

Nelsen is right about that. It's why I haven't thought he should go.

I was watching the LA-Seattle game and thinking that there isn't one player on TFC that would start for either of these teams. Maybe Laba. Maybe.

Super
10-29-2013, 12:55 PM
I seriously wish that Leiweke would just keep his mouth shut for a change and quietly go about his business behind the scenes.

Let your actions do the talking Tim.

He's quickly becoming Payne v2.0

Pint
10-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Really strange talk from TL... mainly why the hell is he talking to dave shoalts about TFC

ManUtd4ever
10-29-2013, 12:58 PM
He's quickly becoming Payne v2.0

He's even worse. He also started with Leafs Stanley Cup parade route talk again today. It's as if he wants the rest of the sports world to mock our city.

Marc"2L"
10-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Not sure where to put this: @dshoalts: Leiweke on what's ahead for Toronto FC: This is the team we'll turn around quickest. We'll make the playoffs next year. Write it down.

:facepalm:
SOOO ANGRY!
edit: he's talking to business people, http://t.co/Kwz9CFVuU0

in other words; he's trying to sell the club to money, because the money is probably also walking away

Areathrasher
10-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Really strange talk from TL... mainly why the hell is he talking to dave shoalts about TFC

TL was speaking at some event about all MLSE teams. Shoalts was there. Other journos are talking about it too.

Marc"2L"
10-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Oh yeah, this too

David Shoalts (@dshoalts) tweeted at 1:20pm - 29 Oct 13:

Leiweke said MLSE looking at buying Toronto Argos and reno job on BMO field. But said only studying it now. (https://twitter.com/dshoalts/status/395238629536043008)

Pint
10-29-2013, 01:10 PM
TL was speaking at some event about all MLSE teams. Shoalts was there. Other journos are talking about it too.

that makes more sense... only saw shoalts tweeting about it.

Super
10-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Roof or bust

ManUtd4ever
10-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Oh yeah, this too

Leiweke said MLSE looking at buying Toronto Argos and reno job on BMO field. But said only studying it now. (https://twitter.com/dshoalts/status/395238629536043008)

Oh boy...

Marc"2L"
10-29-2013, 01:42 PM
That TSN article is really making a stir in the UK, taking it as confirmation he's a target, which makes sense when you ask the reporter to go sell the club to him...

Ultra & Proud
10-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Oh yeah, this too

So I see Operation "Buy Argos, Expand BMO, get NFL team, Fold Argos" is already underway. Been nice knowing you Argos.

Ultra & Proud
10-29-2013, 02:01 PM
It's as if he wants the rest of the sports world to mock our city.

Too late for that.

moralis
10-29-2013, 02:02 PM
If Defoe signs he will only come after the world cup. If it's Adebayor then the chances are higher that he will come in January. If it's Lampard then he will after the EPL season. Same goes for Gilardino - If he signs he will come after the Italian season or after the world cup. I believe TFC need a DP striker in January and one after the world cup. I have my doubts that will happen. I think TFC need to keep Earnshaw, Dike and yes if possible re-sign Kovermans to a non DP contract in the $200,000 range.

The Ryan Nelsen is still coaching TFC is because he can persuade English DP players like Defoe and Lampard to come to MLS and or TFC. Frank Yallop or any other MLS coach would not be able to do this.

The options are limited in signing a DP in January. The only player I see is Adebayor.

What are your thoughts? Should we keep Kovermans as a NON-DP and who are our forward options - Earnshaw, Dike, and?

ManUtd4ever
10-29-2013, 02:04 PM
So I see Operation "Buy Argos, Expand BMO, get NFL team, Fold Argos" is already underway. Been nice knowing you Argos.

BMO Field renovation for the Argos and a potential NFL team are not related unless they plan on adding 50,000 seats to the stadium.

Ultra & Proud
10-29-2013, 02:05 PM
If Defoe signs he will only come after the world cup. If it's Adebayor then the chances are higher that he will come in January. If it's Lampard then he will after the EPL season. Same goes for Gilardino - If he signs he will come after the Italian season or after the world cup. I believe TFC need a DP striker in January and one after the world cup. I have my doubts that will happen. I think TFC need to keep Earnshaw, Dike and yes if possible re-sign Kovermans to a non DP contract in the $200,000 range.

The Ryan Nelsen is still coaching TFC is because he can persuade English DP players like Defoe and Lampard to come to MLS and or TFC. Frank Yallop or any other MLS coach would not be able to do this.

The options are limited in signing a DP in January. The only player I see is Adebayor.

What are your thoughts? Should we keep Kovermans as a NON-DP and who are our forward options - Earnshaw, Dike, and?

Due to injury risk and playing time off I would say no to DK. Dike is a no brainer to come back at his rate and possible upside. I'd have Wiedeman back too for what he made this year. Earnshaw maybe. Would depend on what else was available.

tfcleeds
10-29-2013, 02:07 PM
I seriously wish that Leiweke would just keep his mouth shut for a change and quietly go about his business behind the scenes. Let your actions do the talking Tim.+1,000,000.

ag futbol
10-29-2013, 02:08 PM
@ Moralis

don't kid yourself, Ryan Nelsen's job security around here is extremely tenuous. Now I know this is coming from a guy who isn't his biggest fan, but given Lieweke's history and the expectations that have been set, it would not surprise me if Nelsen is the odds on favourite to win the sack race next year.

The only material element we are selling to those players is a large payday. They'll be aware that they could be working with a different coach after a short period of time.

tfcleeds
10-29-2013, 02:11 PM
If Defoe signs he will only come after the world cup. If it's Adebayor then the chances are higher that he will come in January. If it's Lampard then he will after the EPL season. Same goes for Gilardino - If he signs he will come after the Italian season or after the world cup. I believe TFC need a DP striker in January and one after the world cup. I have my doubts that will happen. I think TFC need to keep Earnshaw, Dike and yes if possible re-sign Kovermans to a non DP contract in the $200,000 range.The Ryan Nelsen is still coaching TFC is because he can persuade English DP players like Defoe and Lampard to come to MLS and or TFC. Frank Yallop or any other MLS coach would not be able to do this.The options are limited in signing a DP in January. The only player I see is Adebayor. What are your thoughts? Should we keep Kovermans as a NON-DP and who are our forward options - Earnshaw, Dike, and?I agree - there will have to be some stopgaps in place, if only because most of the DP linked players would not come here until after the World Cup. As much as I want to see DK back though, even in a non-DP slot, I just don't see it happening.

Ultra & Proud
10-29-2013, 02:15 PM
BMO Field renovation for the Argos and a potential NFL team are not related unless they plan on adding 50,000 seats to the stadium.
Related in that it would give the Argos a home while MLSE proves to the NFL that a team can be corporately owned and be viable (against current NFL practices) and allow them to hopefully get a franchise. From there, TFC would get a new updated stadium with possibly a short term CFL and NFL "guest" until the NFL team had their new stadium. Really, the only reason MLSE wants the consistently money losing Argos is to be a stepping stone to the NFL gravy train. They get that NFL team and the Argos are done and dusted. Unless of course they keep the Argos name for the NFL team and do to the CFL Argos what the Impact, Sounders, Whitecaps, and Timbers did to their bush league level teams.

Marc"2L"
10-29-2013, 02:32 PM
This thing with Leiweke, and making platinum seats available to regular fans is changing my opinion of him. He still shouldn't talk until there's something to show for it regarding TFC, but it screams competence.

I've never spent a dime on the leafs as an adult, despite being a fan in my younger days.
I've also never been to a leafs games, let alone close enough to the ice to really get into it.
Lock outs and what not, but...

But if I had....

I don't know, if thing reno thing goes through, I think he'll manage to sway the board to spend the costs of making it work right.

Haddy
10-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Unless of course they keep the Argos name for the NFL team and do to the CFL Argos what the Impact, Sounders, Whitecaps, and Timbers did to their bush league level teams.

Imagine a Toronto NFL team NOT called the Argos? What a scandal...and a shame.

Alright, back to topic!

Ultra & Proud
10-29-2013, 03:17 PM
don't kid yourself, Ryan Nelsen's job security around here is extremely tenuous.
Agree with this. He is the defacto manager now and will be unless something better comes along in the off season or if we stumble out of the gate. For the good of everyone I'd rather TL just get his Bruce Arena now and get on with making us Galaxy North.

pdubs
10-29-2013, 03:31 PM

Adebayor hasn't been selected to play once yet this season, other than for Togo. At the start of the season he was relegated to play and train with the reserves. We really want a player like that???

Canary10
10-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Adebayor hasn't been selected to play once yet this season, other than for Togo. At the start of the season he was relegated to play and train with the reserves. We really want a player like that???

His brother died recently, that's why he's not been in the side for a while. That said, he is a head case. I do think he would be great in MLS if not for that.

notthesun
10-29-2013, 03:39 PM
I'm surprised there's even talk about Koef at all. And I absolutely love the guy, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't resign him if he played for free. He's done.

tfcleeds
10-29-2013, 03:39 PM
I could do without Adebayor - I like the Defoe idea though. And as much as I hate Fat Frank, I'll admit he would be a coup if we could sign him. I suppose I could swallow my pride and stomach him playing in the red of TFC for a couple of seasons.

Morlesio14
10-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Good team>roof

Pint
10-29-2013, 05:58 PM
@NickSabetti: Di Marzio from Sky Italia, reporting that Toronto have made an offer for Gilardino. 7 million a year, for three years. #MLS #TFC

***some are reporting it is 7mil over 3 years some are saying it is 7mil per year****

flatpicker
10-29-2013, 06:03 PM
@NickSabetti: Di Marzio from Sky Italia, reporting that Toronto have made an offer for Gilardino. 7 million a year, for three years. #MLS #TFC

The guy knows how to find the net.

There are still a lot of folks in this city who haven't given TFC a second look. Perhaps bringing in a decent Italian might bring a few of those folks out of the woodwork.

Ivy
10-29-2013, 06:08 PM
7 million a year? crazy crazy crazy
The guy is reportedly making 2.2 million at Genoa. Its amazing how much more money MLS teams have to pay to get players to leave Europe.

If its 7 million for 3 years, I cant imagine he'll agree. SURELY Impact is ready to offer more.

moralis
10-29-2013, 06:15 PM
I think the plan is to sign Gilardino - hopefully for January and the Defoe in the summer. It's not about signing one over the other. TFC want both.

Ivy
10-29-2013, 06:23 PM
So now they're saying its 7 million euros over 3 years. which converts to about 10 million - 3.3 million a years; not bad at all.
Saying that Beckham was asked to facilitate this move to TFC, and Defoe being the alternative.

BuSaPuNk
10-29-2013, 06:27 PM
So now they're saying its 7 million euros over 3 years. which converts to about 10 million - 3.3 million a years; not bad at all.
Saying that Beckham was asked to facilitate this move to TFC, and Defoe being the alternative.

I'd rather have Defoe.

moralis
10-29-2013, 06:31 PM
It's not about Gilardino over Defoe. It's about signing BOTH. Hopefully Gilardino in January and Defoe after the World Cup. If Gilardino can't come in January then have both after the World Cup.

Why do you guys think TFC can't have Gilardino and Defoe. MLSE have lots of $$$.

jloome
10-29-2013, 06:38 PM
It's not about Gilardino over Defoe. It's about signing BOTH. Hopefully Gilardino in January and Defoe after the World Cup. If Gilardino can't come in January then have both after the World Cup.

Why do you guys think TFC can't have Gilardino and Defoe. MLSE have lots of $$$.

Oh god hep me, it's the offseason ...
I'm so addicted to this crap it's not funny...

Ivy
10-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Fabio Quagliarella is in the mix as well...
This is turning into one of them stuck on twitter nights

mowe
10-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Will Gilardino be willing to leave Serie A for MLS in January of a World Cup year? I hope so, because we desperately need a quality striker in the squad from the beginning of the season.

Right there with you man.

nonc
10-29-2013, 06:57 PM

Why would Defoe be out of the question before World Cup? Having a fitness advantage would be an asset going into that competition, maybe it puts him in the mix for selection.
A lot of Koev non-DP talk but I don't know how that ever came up, he's going back to Netherlands. I'd give Earnshaw's money to Brockie. Defoe, Dike, Brockie, Weedman :michael:

Pint
10-29-2013, 06:58 PM
What are his chances of making the itilian World Cup team? If it is fleeting then I would imagine he may make the move but if he has a real shot I can't see him leaving.

nonc
10-29-2013, 06:59 PM
Weedman if he takes a pay cut. Is his generation adidas thing done yet?

Haddy
10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Most interesting quote I took from Nelsen's presser yesterday - now that the video is finally online...

Get your tinfoil hats on...

(paraphrased) "I lived in all kinds of places, even London. I love it here. Toronto is the best city in the world. I hope when you guys publish that in the papers tomorrow, somebody in London will see that."

cincy
10-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Did anyone see the tweet from the score saying teams in the MLS have been in contact with Ibrahimovic ? Hrrrrrmmm

notthesun
10-29-2013, 07:27 PM
What are his chances of making the itilian World Cup team? If it is fleeting then I would imagine he may make the move but if he has a real shot I can't see him leaving.

He has a chance if he's in good form.

Honestly Quagliarella has less of a chance, which I hope makes him more willing to come because if I had to pick between them I'd take Quagliarella. And if I had to pick between the three candidates I'd take Defoe and Quagliarella. But I won't be disappointed with Gilardino if we land him instead, he could do very well too.

Ivy
10-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Did anyone see the tweet from the score saying teams in the MLS have been in contact with Ibrahimovic ? Hrrrrrmmm

Agent talk. The dude is too full of him self to go to a small league - he's going to stay at PSG

cincy
10-29-2013, 07:31 PM
theScore ‏@theScore 7h (https://twitter.com/theScore/status/395238817684148224) Report: MLS clubs have been in touch with Zlatan Ibrahimović. http://bit.ly/16jmCjc (http://t.co/DpHdXdppcf)

Haddy
10-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Agent talk. The dude is too full of him self to go to a small league - he's going to stay at PSG

Mino Raiola? I'd rather have one of his other clients. Maybe the one at the top of this list. LOL.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/mino-raiola/details/berater_282.html

#pipedream

Ivy
10-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Could be just clubs talking smack. Just because Chivas USA offered Ibra 40$, it technically means that the club has talked to him lol.... Just talking smack here, but in reality, its not happening.

Haddy
10-29-2013, 08:03 PM
The Defoe-TFC rumour mill has now spread to my favourite page on BBC Football, Daily Gossip: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/gossip/

They source a Sky Sports report which basically just recycles the KJ blog.

Alonso
10-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Most interesting quote I took from Nelsen's presser yesterday - now that the video is finally online...

Get your tinfoil hats on...

(paraphrased) "I lived in all kinds of places, even London. I love it here. Toronto is the best city in the world. I hope when you guys publish that in the papers tomorrow, somebody in London will see that."

Not so 'tinfoil hat' though when you read this: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/18/cities-best-reputation-toronto_n_4123721.html

But yeah, I get your point. g:D

pdubs
10-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Is Alberto Gilardino a top class striker in seria A? I admit I do not follow the league. Looking at his stats he has scored quite a lot for every team he has played for.Had 8 appearances for the national team this year with 2 goals. Is he a big name TL is talking about? Or is that the more Defoe/Lampard route?

Prof
10-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Cheaper option available, scouts need to look at all top leagues in Europe and elsewhere. Rafik Zoheir Djebbour (born on 8 March 1984) is an Algerian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algeria) international footballer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football) who currently plays for Süper Lig (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%BCper_Lig) club Sivasspor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sivasspor) on loan from Olympiacos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympiacos_F.C.) and also for the Algeria national team (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algeria_national_football_team), as a Striker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_%28association_football%29#Striker). He is known by his versatility, playing on both sides of the pitch because his ambidexterity, exceptional goal scoring ability, speed and pulling power, being a very dangerous forward.

flamehawk
10-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Cheaper option available, scouts need to look at all top leagues in Europe and elsewhere. Rafik Zoheir Djebbour (born on 8 March 1984) is an Algerian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algeria) international footballer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football) who currently plays for Süper Lig (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%BCper_Lig) club Sivasspor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sivasspor) on loan from Olympiacos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympiacos_F.C.) and also for the Algeria national team (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algeria_national_football_team), as a Striker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_%28association_football%29#Striker). He is known by his versatility, playing on both sides of the pitch because his ambidexterity, exceptional goal scoring ability, speed and pulling power, being a very dangerous forward.

While he may well be a cheaper option that could do well in this league, he doesn't really fit the profile of who Lewieke is looking for (ie. someone whose name alone could draw people into the stadium).

OgtheDim
10-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Is Alberto Gilardino a top class striker in seria A? I admit I do not follow the league. Looking at his stats he has scored quite a lot for every team he has played for.Had 8 appearances for the national team this year with 2 goals. Is he a big name TL is talking about? Or is that the more Defoe/Lampard route?

Last year playing for Bologna, http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/alberto-gilardino/leistungsdaten/spieler_5878_2012.html says he scored once every 234 minutes. That rate in MLS would be about 15 goals a season or so.

As a new striker coming into a new league for a half season in late July, he'd probably do well to be at 5 goals for us. DiVaio was doing slightly worse then him in goals/minure for Bologna the year before (teammates?) and kept up that rate last season when he moved to Montreal.

IF Gilardino came in January, he'd probably be good until about August when he'd start to get really really tired.

Sullivan
10-29-2013, 10:02 PM

...we hear ya....

I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy Leiweke's circus, especially his ringmaster Nelsen, ....and wait for a DP or two to actually pull on the jersey, otherwise, it's just names out of someone's arse.

OgtheDim
10-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Ok, just sat through the Nelsen video presser so a few things related to player moves and speculation.

Whole year hamstrung by financial mess left by previous regime.
QPR loanees et al were attempts to find somebody who would stick.
3-6 starters coming, including 2 DP's and at least 3 "battle hardened MLS players" who would start.
Off season about more then just the DP's.
Young player base important for building the future.
Rey is staying - he was name checked.
Bendik is the starter.
Ecks, Koevs, & Frei are all gone. End of speculation.
Caldwell would have changed the season if he arrived earlier.
He could have brought in players for short term success but didn't for the sake of long term financial stability.
Bloom is next years starting RB.
3-5 players out on loan over the winter.
Specifically mentioned he is looking forward to the young guys coming back filled out a bit more.

My player speculation out of all that:

3 to 5 of Hall, Osorio, Bekker, Henry, Morgan, and Welshman going out on loan overseas. Those that don't may not be in long term team future.
Of the 3 hardened MLS players who would start, I expect 2 midfielders and possibly a CD, to groom to be the top CD when Caldwell retires. Maybe a LB.
I get the strong feeling Nelsen would like to have the option of a 5-4-1 and a 4-5-1 along with the 2 banks of 4.
I don't think Osorio is considered the short term solution for AM, nor is Bekker. Long term - definately. I could see us with Bekker and Osorio in midfield in 2017, with a DM (I am assuming Laba is off to Europe by then...a good destroyer who can deal with an English language league would be worth a lot in the EPL).
Expect an MLS experienced AM.
At least 1 of the DP's being asked about is London based.
Earnshaw might be asked to stick around for one more season as relief but I could see him being gone by January.
Rey is staying.
Convey is too.
Lambe, I think he's gone.
Dike is not the long term attacking solution.
Elmer and Braun should be gone (if we are going to speculate about money on a roster player, 200K for a non starting LB is just waste)

pdubs
10-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Ok, just sat through the Nelsen video presser so a few things related to player moves and speculation.

Whole year hamstrung by financial mess left by previous regime.
QPR loanees et al were attempts to find somebody who would stick.
3-6 starters coming, including 2 DP's and at least 3 "battle hardened MLS players" who would start.
Off season about more then just the DP's.
Young player base important for building the future.
Rey is staying - he was name checked.
Bendik is the starter.
Ecks, Koevs, & Frei are all gone. End of speculation.
Caldwell would have changed the season if he arrived earlier.
He could have brought in players for short term success but didn't for the sake of long term financial stability.
Bloom is next years starting RB.
3-5 players out on loan over the winter.
Specifically mentioned he is looking forward to the young guys coming back filled out a bit more.

My player speculation out of all that:

3 to 5 of Hall, Osorio, Bekker, Henry, Morgan, and Welshman going out on loan overseas. Those that don't may not be in long term team future.
Of the 3 hardened MLS players who would start, I expect 2 midfielders and possibly a CD, to groom to be the top CD when Caldwell retires. Maybe a LB.
I get the strong feeling Nelsen would like to have the option of a 5-4-1 and a 4-5-1 along with the 2 banks of 4.
I don't think Osorio is considered the short term solution for AM, nor is Bekker. Long term - definately. I could see us with Bekker and Osorio in midfield in 2017, with a DM (I am assuming Laba is off to Europe by then...a good destroyer who can deal with an English language league would be worth a lot in the EPL).
At least 1 of the DP's being asked about is London based.
Earnshaw might be asked to stick around for one more season as relief but I could see him being gone by January.
Rey is staying.
Convey is too.
Lambe, I think he's gone.
Dike is not the long term attacking solution.
Elmer and Braun should be gone (if we are going to speculate about money on a roster player, 200K for a non starting LB is just waste)

agree with everything but
elmer is on $131,000 guaranteed

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/September%2015,%202013%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

Haddy
10-30-2013, 12:50 AM
IF Gilardino came in January, he'd probably be good until about August when he'd start to get really really tired.

Genoa is sitting currently 2 points from the drop. Gilardino is their top scorer with 3 goals in 9 matches. Five players are on loan - three of which are less valuable forwards - and set to return at the end of season. Unless they have other transfer plans they need to fund in January, I can't find a reason for them to sell him in the winter window.

Genoa's squad list: http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/fc-genua-1893/startseite/verein_252.html

Oldtimer
10-30-2013, 07:01 AM
Now that we are in the off-season, we move to a new off-season thread:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?34955-TFC-2013-2014-Off-Season-player-moves-speculation-rumours-etc-thread