PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

OgtheDim
07-11-2013, 01:18 PM
@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) Kevin Payne: we will not discuss players on contract with other clubs

(Except for that one person in marketing...she can talk about people...but she's Paul's issue so wtf do I care)

Canary10
07-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Apparently Clint Dempsey is for sale at Spurs. Bring him back to MLS as a DP?

Ultra & Proud
07-11-2013, 01:23 PM
@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) Kevin Payne: we will not discuss players on contract with other clubs

(Except for that one person in marketing...she can talk about people...but she's Paul's issue so wtf do I care)

She can but the big question is; is she still employed?

PopePouri
07-11-2013, 01:51 PM
http://youtu.be/dMLFEo6bS0Q

KP interview.

OgtheDim
07-11-2013, 02:03 PM
"My sense was that the clubs philosophy was to go after some talented younger players...."

In walks 40 kids out behind Payne

"That is still part of our philosophy.."

tfcleeds
07-11-2013, 02:06 PM
What a bummer this week has been - started out with such optimism regarding that G&M piece and other arrivals. Now, there is no clear estimated time of arrival for these new players, and we actually let a player in the first XI go. But, patience, patience...

OgtheDim
07-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Questioner: "Can you characterise what the state of the salary cap was when you took over?"

KP: "Disastrous"

"We were significantly over the cap and significantly under the number of players on our roster when I got here."

"Basically the house was on fire."

Phil
07-11-2013, 02:09 PM
wow, a lot to digest in that interview :S

Richard
07-11-2013, 02:14 PM
I don't see how we are going to fit 3-4 good players in this window considering the cap situation he alludes to. He also mentions a wide defender, I'm thinking they have no confidence in Ashton going forward.

Canary10
07-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Aren't O'Dea and Eckersley's deals through at least the end of next year? Those two contracts are a real albatross. I'd like to know how we have so much more flexibility next year.

mowe
07-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Interesting interview. It definitely seems like he has a plan. But because of the situation the club was in when he took over, it would take a year to come to fruition.

During this window if we sign 3/4 of Forlan, Urruti, a winger, and a fullback the FO will have proven itself. Next few weeks should be exciting.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
07-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Next few weeks should be exciting.
Or devastatingly depressing. Or somewhere between the two.

Still Kicking
07-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Aren't O'Dea and Eckersley's deals through at least the end of next year? Those two contracts are a real albatross. I'd like to know how we have so much more flexibility next year.
Just speculating - MLS allows one contract in the offseason to be bought out - although TFC and Torsten Frings called it a retirement, I recall Payne saying that there was a financial settlement. So a buyout eliminates one contract.
Payne mentioned trades too.
I think that Eckersley needs to have a strong comeback from injury and his ability to become a non-International in 2014 will be in his favour.

OgtheDim
07-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Yeah, if I was O'Dea I'd be going "Hmm, maybe I should call up the agent."

Proof of KP's talent will be in this window. KP has to get deals done to make this team more competitive.

So much to digest in that....

Canary10
07-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Just speculating - MLS allows one contract in the offseason to be bought out - although TFC and Torsten Frings called it a retirement, I recall Payne saying that there was a financial settlement. So a buyout eliminates one contract.
Payne mentioned trades too.
I think that Eckersley needs to have a strong comeback from injury and his ability to become a non-International in 2014 will be in his favour.

Yeah, I forgot about buyouts.

Think OgtheDim is right. If I were O'Dea I'd be worried.

notthesun
07-11-2013, 03:07 PM
"We're looking at adding a possible young wide defender"

Buh-bye Morgan.

19Barrett19
07-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Ever since o'dea moved the left back he's been really good . I think he's better there then at cb .

Ultra & Proud
07-11-2013, 03:10 PM
"We're looking at adding a possible young wide defender"

Buh-bye Morgan.

I think bye bye O' Dea instead.

19Barrett19
07-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Morgan is awful he cant dribble he can't pass. Every time tfc has possession and they swing the ball from right to left the attack often than not stalls because he gives it away. Dunfield would be a better wing back then morgan

notthesun
07-11-2013, 03:13 PM
I think bye bye O' Dea instead.

Both is my hunch.

mcolvy
07-11-2013, 03:41 PM
I think we made a mistake trading that first overall pick where Farell could be Ecks replacement.

I do think we need some wingback support. And wingers for that matter..

We will take Russel off the books. Why is Russell even here...Convey will only stay for a huge discount. Same for Braun.
Dunfield and Califf are already going to be gone off our books.
When we add these bigger pieces it will help us a lot, but the real essence of a solid MLS team are how much bang for your buck do you get out of your 90,000-190,000 (roughly) players. Right now we actually get very little. Look to SKC, Houston etc, and they do the best.
These guys especially who count as domestic. We do need some above average MLSers American or Canadian, to fill this fluff.

I don't see Brockie staying as he is committed to a club, but I think with both parties very much enjoying his stay that perhaps next year we can bring him in full time once Wellington prepare for his move. He has a history of moving about so contract issues wont be a problem.
He is such a versatile attacker and is dangerous everywhere. You can tell he lacks pure quality with the ball and in finishing, but makes up for it with intelligence and hard work. I think thats what makes him a solid MLSer and a player you'd want around if your playing MLS and CONACAF action (in the future).

There will be a raise here and there (hall...) but looking at all the canadian boys, Bendik, Boss, Hall, Richter, Thomas, Reggie (people are so hard on him when he plays well for his salary) thats some shrewd business. Laba at 200,000 is to hoping he gets better with time but Will Johnson sits at $240,000 and so I would like to see him just as influential soon.

As for Caldwell (and our over paid defenders...) Look at Victor Bernardez, top defender who played for Anderlecht and is only making $100,000. Besler at $180,000? I hate bringing in defenders from Europe since they are overprices and finding undervalued gems in SoutH-Central America is even easier for defenders because they under valute them. If he makes less then $150,000 Id be a lifelong KP fan. Anything over $200,000 of guaranteed money I think we should have looked elsewhere.

I think with all this talk about bringing guys in we are forgetting about the typical North American player. I mean the jeremy halls and bobby conveys (and what Califf was suppose to be). We do need a few more. Some name dropping for the off season (As KP very consciously made it obvious that he is having troubles making trades within the league after the July guaranteed contracts deadline, because everyone has no wiggle room.
Eddie Gaven
Zack Loyd
Chris Pontius
Richardo Clark
Benny Feilhaber
Paulo Nagamura (Green card)
Will Johnson
Brad Evans
Jewsberry
Etc.

That crowd. We need a few. The US borderline nationals/Canadian nationals/Green card dudes.

That is all..

TFC07
07-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Bye bye O'Dea, Eck (unless he's willing to take a pay cut) and possibly Morgan (he's still cheap and counts as a domestic. So he can be used as a back up/depth player).

Ajax TFC
07-11-2013, 04:49 PM
I think we made a mistake trading that first overall pick where Farell could be Ecks replacement.
Except we were over the cap already when Payne got here, so I guess we had to make that trade to give them flexibility.

Still Kicking
07-11-2013, 04:53 PM
I love (no I don't) how folks treat players as if they were trading cards or cars to trade in.
No matter what you think of a player's ability or future, a contract is a contract. If you truly think O'Dea is departing at the snap of a finger, remember that he can be traded, he can be paid but not play or he plays for TFC for 2013.
If you read between the lines on Payne's comments, whatever you think of O'Dea's contract in KP's opinion J Plata's was worse and hence a deal was made, Plata for Nada. We can speculate that O'Dea will be an offseason buyout next winter or that re-negotiations may take place...but it is a waste of time snapping your fingers in the summer of 2013 (now watch some deals be swung in the next two weeks that render this all moot)

Corpand
07-11-2013, 05:01 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/07/11/luis-silva-was-surprised-about-being-dealt-very-happy-be-dc-united

ag futbol
07-11-2013, 05:07 PM
This hasn't been a great draft class. There have been some useful players around (Dillon Powers, Deshorn Brown), but overall I haven't seen much.

Farrell has looked terrible every time I've seen him. Maybe he sorts it out long run, but he gets excused a lot on account of being one of those top rated Americans coming out of NCAA. He'd be roundly roasted for the mistakes he makes if he had any other profile.

moralis
07-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Not sure anyone picked up on this about Forlan, but Kevin Payne said this in today's media scrum:

About Forlan: "I don't think its a good policy to talk about deals that are in progress"

Starts between 30-40 seconds in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMLFEo6bS0Q

barticusz
07-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Not sure anyone picked up on this about Forlan, but Kevin Payne said this in today's media scrum:

About Forlan: "I don't think its a good policy to talk about deals that are in progress"

Starts between 30-40 seconds in

He's not referring to Forlan specifically. It is a general statement. It's common knowledge that they are looking at multiple potential DPs.

moralis
07-11-2013, 05:43 PM
The question from Neil Davidson of the Canadian press was about Forlan and if TFC was interested in him? Watch it from the beginning.

T-boy
07-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Interesting interview. I like KP a lot.

Seems that DC paid a large amount of allocation to get Silva. If they really wanted him THAT badly, they have paid for it, I'm certain.

This could be a fascinating couple of weeks!

jloome
07-11-2013, 05:48 PM
The question from Neil Davidson of the Canadian press was about Forlan and if TFC was interested in him? Watch it from the beginning.

Doesn't matter. The answer is about deals in general and he qualifies it as such.

icecoldbeer
07-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Totally off topic, but KP reminds me of an old Brody from Homeland

barticusz
07-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Doesn't matter. The answer is about deals in general and he qualifies it as such.

Exactly my point.

Canary10
07-12-2013, 08:29 AM

I do think we need some wingback support. And wingers for that matter..

We will take Russel off the books. Why is Russell even here...Convey will only stay for a huge discount. Same for Braun.
Dunfield and Califf are already going to be gone off our books.
When we add these bigger pieces it will help us a lot, but the real essence of a solid MLS team are how much bang for your buck do you get out of your 90,000-190,000 (roughly) players. Right now we actually get very little. Look to SKC, Houston etc, and they do the best.
These guys especially who count as domestic. We do need some above average MLSers American or Canadian, to fill this fluff.

I don't see Brockie staying as he is committed to a club, but I think with both parties very much enjoying his stay that perhaps next year we can bring him in full time once Wellington prepare for his move. He has a history of moving about so contract issues wont be a problem.
He is such a versatile attacker and is dangerous everywhere. You can tell he lacks pure quality with the ball and in finishing, but makes up for it with intelligence and hard work. I think thats what makes him a solid MLSer and a player you'd want around if your playing MLS and CONACAF action (in the future).

There will be a raise here and there (hall...) but looking at all the canadian boys, Bendik, Boss, Hall, Richter, Thomas, Reggie (people are so hard on him when he plays well for his salary) thats some shrewd business. Laba at 200,000 is to hoping he gets better with time but Will Johnson sits at $240,000 and so I would like to see him just as influential soon.

As for Caldwell (and our over paid defenders...) Look at Victor Bernardez, top defender who played for Anderlecht and is only making $100,000. Besler at $180,000? I hate bringing in defenders from Europe since they are overprices and finding undervalued gems in SoutH-Central America is even easier for defenders because they under valute them. If he makes less then $150,000 Id be a lifelong KP fan. Anything over $200,000 of guaranteed money I think we should have looked elsewhere.

I think with all this talk about bringing guys in we are forgetting about the typical North American player. I mean the jeremy halls and bobby conveys (and what Califf was suppose to be). We do need a few more. Some name dropping for the off season (As KP very consciously made it obvious that he is having troubles making trades within the league after the July guaranteed contracts deadline, because everyone has no wiggle room.
Eddie Gaven
Zack Loyd
Chris Pontius
Richardo Clark
Benny Feilhaber
Paulo Nagamura (Green card)
Will Johnson
Brad Evans
Jewsberry
Etc.

That crowd. We need a few. The US borderline nationals/Canadian nationals/Green card dudes.

That is all..

Totally agree with you here. I said earlier, we need more guys like the kid George Costanza gave the Susan Ross Foundation scholarship to. Not so good that they're showing off. But they're doing fine and getting by. Those are they guys that will win us championships. Convey is the perfect example.

OgtheDim
07-12-2013, 08:49 AM
All discussions of what we did this season so far have to be seen in the light of what KP said yesterday - we were over the cap while under in bodies.

Thus, trading that pick got us allocation that allowed us to be able to afford the players we had/have. The asset of a possible player was not as important as the need to reduce cap issues.

ProfessorDamage
07-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Totally agree with you here. I said earlier, we need more guys like the kid George Costanza gave the Susan Ross Foundation scholarship to. Not so good that they're showing off. But they're doing fine and getting by. Those are they guys that will win us championships. Convey is the perfect example.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this ... is Steven Koren. His G.P.A. is a solid 2.0! Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXMDRbOBMno

EDIT: and while we're at it, here's the best of Mr Kruger, of Kruger Industrial Smoothing. He really reminds me of how this team has been managed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kVBGeQeR4

Canary10
07-12-2013, 09:16 AM
"Ladies and gentlemen, this ... is Steven Koren. His G.P.A. is a solid 2.0! Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXMDRbOBMno

Lol. Awesome!

jabbronies
07-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Interesting interview. I like KP a lot.

Seems that DC paid a large amount of allocation to get Silva. If they really wanted him THAT badly, they have paid for it, I'm certain.

This could be a fascinating couple of weeks!

I'm on the fence with him. The team is still makeshift. His philosophy seems sound, but actions speak louder than words. So we'll see.

mowe
07-12-2013, 10:22 AM
On the Soccer Show last night Payne said we can expect at least 3 additions this window. They're "in the process" of negotiating a year-long loan for a young wide player who plays in Argentina. They're looking at two forwards, one younger and one more established (Urruti and Forlan?) from South America. Also working on acquiring a younger wide defender out of North America.

Listen to it here, Payne comes on at 16:50: http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/soccer_show/ss_20130711_210928--The-Soccer-Show---MONTH-DAY-%28Eg.-July-10%29---Thursday.mp3

Relja
07-12-2013, 10:23 AM
I think Koevermans is done at TFC, he just can't keep healthy and its a shame, but we will probably need to let him go unless he takes a HUGE paycut (which i doubt), so most likely i think he is done....

Richard
07-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Its going to be interesting how Nelson handles all these South American players, in my opinion it will make or break him dealing with the egos. It takes a good coach handling these "Flair" type players, considering Nelson is more the "Get stuck in" type guy he certainly will need to adjust his expectations.

Ageroo
07-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Its going to be interesting how Nelson handles all these South American players, in my opinion it will make or break him dealing with the egos. It takes a good coach handling these "Flair" type players, considering Nelson is more the "Get stuck in" type guy he certainly will need to adjust his expectations.

Very true...but so far Laba seems to be doing ok...or at least we haven't heard of any issues.

Ultra & Proud
07-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Hard to call him a "get stuck in" guy when he is so new that it's hard to tell what he is all about yet. I wouldn't call him that type based on the fact that he was a defender and that he played in England for scrub teams. I think he wants to be and trying to be a manager following in the footsteps of Redknapp. He even mentioned something along those lines and I don't see Harry as a 'get stuck in' guy.

pekduck
07-12-2013, 11:48 AM
what?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/07/12/loan-set-end-soon-wellington-phoenix-forward-jeremy-brockie-open-prolonging-

“If the possibility to extend the stay can happen, then I will be more than happy to because I am loving my football here,” Brockie told MLSsoccer.com. “I’m really enjoying being part of this club. It is a nice change from the A-League, where I’ve been for 7-8 years now. If there is a possibility, whether it is soon or in the long term, I’d love to come back to this club.”

Ultra & Proud
07-12-2013, 12:03 PM
what?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/07/12/loan-set-end-soon-wellington-phoenix-forward-jeremy-brockie-open-prolonging-
Hope so. Wonder if some allocation money is going towards a transfer fee to Wellington?

Marc"2L"
07-12-2013, 12:05 PM
what?

Not that surprising is it? Youngish guy, new country, summer time, Toronto.

He's having a good time.

MartinUtd
07-12-2013, 12:10 PM
I'd like to keep him. Even if Brockie goes back to Wellington in August, I can see him being a more realistic solution for forward depth next season than Koevermans signing a non-DP contract.

mowe
07-12-2013, 12:14 PM
He might get his loan extended a little bit (A-League season starts in October) but I don't think TFC would pay a transfer fee for him. Best for the cap to wait until his contract runs out and then sign him.

pekduck
07-12-2013, 12:16 PM

He's having a good time.

oh, i was surprised at there is a way for him to stay beyond August due to long preseason back his home

Canary10
07-12-2013, 12:21 PM
So this is kind of funny. My wife is in Miami at a convention. She's been chatting it up with the Honduran national team (I have nothing to worry about as far as I know), which is staying in the same hotel (I assume for the Gold Cup). Alex Lopez is, as a write this, having lunch in the hotel restaurant where she also is. If I hear any news about a TFC link, I'll let everyone know.

mcolvy
07-12-2013, 12:45 PM
So this is kind of funny. My wife is in Miami at a convention. She's been chatting it up with the Honduran national team (I have nothing to worry about as far as I know), which is staying in the same hotel (I assume for the Gold Cup). Alex Lopez is, as a write this, having lunch in the hotel restaurant where she also is. If I hear any news about a TFC link, I'll let everyone know.

HAHAHA Thats just awesome. Very very cool.

She should be chatting it up less with the whole team and more with just him. Get him hooked to Toronto, you know.

Canary10
07-12-2013, 12:52 PM
HAHAHA Thats just awesome. Very very cool.

She should be chatting it up less with the whole team and more with just him. Get him hooked to Toronto, you know.

Oh yeah, she's chatting them all up and telling them how awesome Toronto is. She asked if Alex Lopez was there specifically and they all thought it was crazy she knew him by name. They're loving it apparently. Again, I don't think I have anything to worry about....

CommradePolski
07-12-2013, 01:00 PM
What happens in Miami stays in Miami?

fiji_blue
07-12-2013, 01:02 PM
any rumor on Bosingwa

Solo La Maglia
07-12-2013, 01:05 PM
bahahaha. yes you should be fine......

Oh yeah, she's chatting them all up and telling them how awesome Toronto is. She asked if Alex Lopez was there specifically and they all thought it was crazy she knew him by name. They're loving it apparently. Again, I don't think I have anything to worry about....

Red I
07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
any rumor on Bosingwa

... now there's a full back i wouldn't mind paying Ecks wages... But I think we have to wait till next year before tinkering with the back line, and having 3 high priced fullbacks, don't think the supporters would let the FO get away with that

Stouffville_RPB
07-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Just go an update from the TFC Mobile app

Danny Califf announces his retirement

on Twitter too
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 4m (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/355749180259577857) .@DannyCaliff (https://twitter.com/DannyCaliff) announces retirement, stays with #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) as scout: http://ow.ly/mUA63 (http://t.co/leT0hVMMpJ). #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash)

Phil
07-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Just go an update from the TFC Mobile app

Danny Califf announces his retirement

on Twitter too
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 4m (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/355749180259577857) .@DannyCaliff (https://twitter.com/DannyCaliff) announces retirement, stays with #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) as scout: http://ow.ly/mUA63 (http://t.co/leT0hVMMpJ). #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash)

Same here, surprised it didn't hit elsewhere.

billyfly
07-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Another move. Hmmmmm

Ageroo
07-12-2013, 01:12 PM
So does he come off the books?

ag futbol
07-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Congrats to Danny on his retirement.

Still waiting for the other shoe to drop in terms of our signings....

mowe
07-12-2013, 01:15 PM

Yup, but since he's staying on as a "scout" he still gets paid a salary. Same thing as Frings pretty much.

jloome
07-12-2013, 01:18 PM

Might be that the scouting job was a creative way to pay his guaranteed contract without it counting against the cap. Not sure. I think they could buy him out in the first half of the season.

Ultra & Proud
07-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Maybe they didn't buy him out because it's "nicer" this way. Getting a "job" in the organization and mentioning a back condition instead of being bought out and everyone saying it was because he was a lard ass.

mcolvy
07-12-2013, 01:20 PM

If Alex Lopez comes to Toronto chasing your girl, we can just write it off as taking one for the team... If he does actually come here Ill buy you a girl for a night as replacement?

Seems fair?

Ageroo
07-12-2013, 01:21 PM
I am too lazy...what was his salary?

Red I
07-12-2013, 01:24 PM
If Alex Lopez comes to Toronto chasing your girl, we can just write it off as taking one for the team... If he does actually come here Ill buy you a girl for a night as replacement?

Seems fair?

Well, we should all pitch in at least, get him a proper lass

mowe
07-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Letter by Califf: http://www.torontofc.ca/content/danny-califf-retirement-letter

I am not retiring because I have a career ending back injury, or because I have knee problems, or because TFC did not do their due diligence when they signed me in January.

The reason for my retirement is because when you are 33 years old and have played 14 years at a professional level, you start to have priorities that reach beyond yourself. Do I really want to train every day knowing that I am not in the coach's plan to play...

Sounds like he's been hearing everything said in the media about him, not too happy with Nelson it seems.

Red I
07-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Letter by Califf: http://www.torontofc.ca/content/danny-califf-retirement-letter

Sounds like he's been hearing everything said in the media about him, not too happy with Nelson it seems.

Meh, you never know... he may have wanted to wait out this year, and Nelsen's comments forced his hand a little, in which case, well done Nelsen. Good for Califf for at least getting his say, and having the last word.

Phil
07-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Yup, but since he's staying on as a "scout" he still gets paid a salary. Same thing as Frings pretty much.

Well, it is and it isn't. Frings was bought out and they called it retirement & left the club. Califf actually retired (guessing) and remains on as a scout.

mcolvy
07-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Might be the shortest scouting stint in MLSE history....

After those words and not following the script. Hes not staying around

VoxPopuliCosmicum
Well, we should all pitch in at least, get him a proper lass

I'll pay for a half-hour if we sign Lopez due to the efforts of Canary's lady.

mcolvy
So to that guy who keeps coming and hinting that Califf has such a bad bad injury or you feel sorry for him. What was that all about? his back???

Canary10
07-12-2013, 01:33 PM
I'll pay for a half-hour if we sign Lopez due to the efforts of Canary's lady.

Fuck. Lol

jloome
07-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Might be the shortest scouting stint in MLSE history....

After those words and not following the script. Hes not staying around

He's a scout in the way Nick Dasovic was a scout after coaching: he lets them buy out his 299,000 in MLS cap space in exchange for a contract as a scout for the same amount (or, if he's smart, a little more).

Phil
07-12-2013, 01:45 PM
So doing a quick tally:

Bostock - $100 000
Califf - $165 000
Dunfield - $120 000
Emory - $50 000
Ephrim - $180 000
Morgan - $35 000
Silva - $105 000

total: $755 000 off the cap, along with the allocation money.....

Ultra & Proud
07-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Pretty sure the Payne forced Califf's hand in this. I bet we put papers in to sign players and in usual "I have my head up my ass" MLS style the bean counters went over every detail and figured we needed more cap room or allocation. Like I said earlier, it's a bunch of accountants running around like crazy trying figure out their own rules.

BuSaPuNk
07-12-2013, 01:49 PM
So doing a quick tally:

Bostock - $100 000
Califf - $165 000
Dunfield - $120 000
Emory - $50 000
Ephrim - $180 000
Morgan - $35 000
Silva - $105 000

And no word how much allocation we have. We could be looking at $1.755 or more which is a good amount to use to bring in some players during the window

Red I
07-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Fuck. Lol

Doing a quick tally...

Top Shelf Quality "Companion" providing a "Girlfriend Experience" - about $300 per hour...

That's not bad!

Dreadlocks
07-12-2013, 01:52 PM
So doing a quick tally:

Bostock - $100 000
Califf - $165 000
Dunfield - $120 000
Emory - $50 000
Ephrim - $180 000
***Morgan - $35 000****
Silva - $105 000

Did I miss something? I know he lost his position but wasn't aware that he is not on the team??!?!

Red I
07-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Did I miss something? I know he lost his position but wasn't aware that he is not on the team??!?!

Other Morgan, Taylor Morgan

Ultra & Proud
07-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Doing a quick tally...

Top Shelf Quality "Companion" providing a "Girlfriend Experience" - about $300 per hour...

That's not bad!
You can get decent for $250 if you are an informed shopper. My wife used to be the receptionist at an agency so I got to see and hear a lot of stuff.

Phil
07-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Other Morgan, Taylor Morgan

Yup, I thought that might slip through. Taylor, Ashton is staying put LOL

CommradePolski
07-12-2013, 01:55 PM
I think he is referring to Taylor Morgan not Ashton.

Dreadlocks
07-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Whew!! Thanks for clarifying.

mcolvy
07-12-2013, 02:07 PM
I think he is referring to Taylor Morgan not Ashton.

Less we not forget... The latter half of the roster is not added into that salary cap.

Morgan's salary didn't count against our cap anyways.

OgtheDim
07-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Was Califf on a guaranteed? I wonder if he's the +1 month after July 1st buyout that Payne yesterday said was possible.

Red I
07-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Less we not forget... The latter half of the roster is not added into that salary cap.

Ya, probably Emory's too

Richard
07-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Makes you wonder how long till Koevs retires.

Phil
07-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Good point, so lets say around $700 000 free plus allocation. I would still guess depending on unused or awarded allocation (insert MLS transparency gripe here) it could be anywhere from $750 000 to 1 million.

Red I
07-12-2013, 02:10 PM
So doing a quick tally:

Bostock - $100 000
Califf - $165 000
Dunfield - $120 000
Emory - $50 000
Ephrim - $180 000
Morgan - $35 000
Silva - $105 000

Not prorated for half-seasons for Califf, Dunfield, Bostock, Ephraim and Silva?

Dreadlocks
07-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Not sure if Koevs will retire at this point. Yes, he's injured....again, but unlike Califf, when he was healthy he got into games. I think he's still part of the plan.....for this year.

Phil
07-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Not prorated for half-seasons for Califf, Dunfield, Bostock, Ephraim and Silva?

well, its all or nothing. If we consider prorating it for half seasons, then we have to prorate it the same on the guys coming in. I just stuck with whole season numbers and figure we evaluate in whole season numbers coming in. All *new* aquistions would be in fact half for this year. A full DP is only going to cost half against the cap.

PopePouri
07-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Also, Koev's family is here.

Red I
07-12-2013, 02:14 PM
well, its all or nothing. If we consider prorating it for half seasons, then we have to prorate it the same on the guys coming in. I just stuck with whole season numbers and figure we evaluate in whole season numbers coming in. All *new* aquistions would be in fact half for this year. A full DP is only going to cost half against the cap.

Yeah, true say

Stouffville_RPB
07-12-2013, 02:21 PM
No way I'd let the club force me to "retire" if I was DK. If the club wants my DP spot I'd let them buy me out.

Phil
07-12-2013, 02:24 PM
They know they can only buy 1 guy out a year. With Danny K they also knew they couldn't force him out. Remember though, while he was on the injured list, his salary (I think) wouldn't count against the cap. I think the timiing in his comback was strategic.

Abou Sky
07-12-2013, 02:27 PM

He's having a good time.

The girls are cuter than the sheep which is a bonus too...

ag futbol
07-12-2013, 02:34 PM
This makes things more interesting:

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/toronto-fc-interested-in-trio-from-argentinos-juniors-report/#.UeBaMp6iKrA.twitter

BuSaPuNk
07-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Wonder how quality these guys are

OgtheDim
07-12-2013, 02:40 PM
The girls are cuter than the sheep which is a bonus too...

For the sake of inclusivity and diversity and all that and only pointing this out as a general statement related to all visitors to our fair city and thus in the spirit of speculation of future player acquirement opportunities it should be noted that:

Many people believe the guys here are cuter then the sheep too.

TFC07
07-12-2013, 02:40 PM
According to Pasion Paternal, a site dedicated to providing information on Juniors, TFC is interested in three of its players on loan — wide midfielder Juan Ramirez, forward Leandro Barrera and wide midfielder Santiago Naguel. (https://twitter.com/diegomartinsaa)

TFC07
07-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Where's this rumour of Alex Lopez signing with TFC coming from? It seems like TFC going to South America to get their players. Alex Lopez isn't a South American! lol

Initial B
07-12-2013, 02:42 PM
^^ Well, that would give us some wingers (assuming they were fast) and an attacker. Young and cheap on loan?

moralis
07-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Remember Kovermans is in the last year of his contract. His contract ends at end of this season like it was for Frings. They both signed a 2.5 year deal.

BuSaPuNk
07-12-2013, 02:51 PM
And Frei's deal is up at the end of the year as well. There is a team option but you would have to think KP is going to decline it to get that 200k off the books.

MartinUtd
07-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Hmm.. I forgot about Alvaro Rey. I guess he wasn't up to par.

kuku
07-12-2013, 02:56 PM
From Walking the red:

Some of Payne's possible targets from Argentina - Narrowing it down from there is tricky though since as the initial article noted Argentinos have a lot of young midfielders who could potentially fit the bill. I won't claim to be any sort of expert on the roster at Argentinos Juniors but Fabio Vazquez, Gomez Rodrigo, Santiago Naguel, Juan Edgardo Ramirez, and Reinaldo Lenis are all 20-years-old or younger and can play on the wing so there are plenty of potential options

Abou Sky
07-12-2013, 03:20 PM
For the sake of inclusivity and diversity and all that and only pointing this out as a general statement related to all visitors to our fair city and thus in the spirit of speculation of future player acquirement opportunities it should be noted that:

Many people believe the guys here are cuter then the sheep too.

I would have to agree on that as well.

ensco
07-12-2013, 03:53 PM
According to Pasion Paternal, a site dedicated to providing information on Juniors, TFC is interested in three of its players on loan — wide midfielder Juan Ramirez, forward Leandro Barrera and wide midfielder Santiago Naguel. (https://twitter.com/diegomartinsaa)

Also known as the Watford strategy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2280788/Football-League-bosses-tighten-loan-rules-Watfords-farce.html

Canary10
07-12-2013, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=TFC07;1598884]Where's this rumour of Alex Lopez signing with TFC coming from? It seems like TFC going to South America to get their players. Alex Lopez isn't a South American! lol [/QUOTE

He was strongly rumoured at one point. Read back a page if you want to see how he came up again now.

kuku
07-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Kurtis Larson‏@KurtLarSUN2m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/KurtLarSUN/status/355805875765649409)#TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) signs Mark Bloom, according to random U.S. college

flamehawk
07-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Kurtis Larson‏@KurtLarSUN2m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/KurtLarSUN/status/355805875765649409)#TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) signs Mark Bloom, according to random U.S. college

who?

Alonso
07-12-2013, 05:07 PM
who?

Exactly.

Richard
07-12-2013, 05:08 PM
The best player in the modern generation, that's who.

cincy
07-12-2013, 05:11 PM
This sounds like the domestic fullback they may have been after. There is a link in the tweet. Apparently a former Atlanta Silverback defender.

ag futbol
07-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Sounds like Ryan Ritcher part 2

19Barrett19
07-12-2013, 05:18 PM
He's probably better than morgan if so 35k salary ....I'll take it!

Jeff s
07-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Is this the "starter" that Payne said he was bringing in? Are you kidding me right now?

TFC07
07-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Where's this rumour of Alex Lopez signing with TFC coming from? It seems like TFC going to South America to get their players. Alex Lopez isn't a South American! lol

He was strongly rumoured at one point. Read back a page if you want to see how he came up again now.

Yeah, but Houston and San Jose were also rumour to sign him back in January as well. If Lopez is open to MLS now, then I think he will sign with Houston not Toronto.

Greatest Ripoff
07-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Here is link to a scouting report on Mark Bloom from the 2010 college combine.

http://www.infosportinc.com/2010markbloom.htm

TFC07
07-12-2013, 05:24 PM
25 year old journey player? This is just what we need. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Bloom

Benficachop20
07-12-2013, 05:27 PM

dam these are the type of signings that will bring us to the top........

Greatest Ripoff
07-12-2013, 05:32 PM
25 year old journey player? This is just what we need. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Bloom

Personally I would like if Toronto could promote from with the academy for depth positions. Is this guy going to be playing ahead of Odea and Morgan? Toronto let go of academy prospect and left back Tyler Pasher in the off season and in 12 games in the Finish second division this year he has 5 goals. Not saying he would solve the teams problems, but why sign guys like Ritcher and Bloom when there are young guys in the academy with potential that Toronto could be turning into solid MLS players?

Yohan
07-12-2013, 05:32 PM
cheap depth that has no cap hit. *shrug*

TFC07
07-12-2013, 05:33 PM
dam these are the type of signings that will bring us to the top........

This is type of signings we free cap space and trade away better players of your team for. :D

TFC07
07-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Personally I would like if Toronto could promote from with the academy for depth positions. Is this guy going to be playing ahead of Odea and Morgan? Toronto let go of academy prospect and left back Tyler Pasher in the off season and in 12 games in the Finish second division this year he has 5 goals. Not saying he would solve the teams problems, but why sign guys like Ritcher and Bloom when there are young guys in the academy with potential that Toronto could be turning into solid MLS players?

Because club has no patience at all. Plus, kids with potential will eventually leave TFC to go to Europe (if they live up to their potential of course).

Overall, signing these players sends a bad message to kids in TFCA or good enough to join TFCA. There's no future for them in the club if they get overlooked for journeymen players who have no upside what's so ever.

flamehawk
07-12-2013, 05:40 PM

I agree 100%. I just don't see too many advantages to signing players like that. It's not like academy players have much cap hit.

19Barrett19
07-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Better bloom than maxim usanov or ravis hiscanovic they were shit and over priced. This guy bloom could be like richter if so I'm satisfied for depth

TFC07
07-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Better bloom than maxim usanov or ravis hiscanovic they were shit and over priced. This guy bloom could be like richter if so I'm satisfied for depth

You really got low expectations here. If Bloom isn't better than say Morgan, then it's waste of signing in the end. But whatever, I am still waiting for bigger signings. Seems like it's going to take a week or two to rest of players signed here.

anto7
07-12-2013, 06:03 PM
I was talking to a buddy of mine last night and his brother works for MLSE and according to him there will be a big announcement from TFC on Monday. He either did not know or would not say what it was but was certain it was going to take place on Monday. Take it for what it's worth.

19Barrett19
07-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Sounds very far fetched your friends brother hmmmm but if it happens then great

Greatest Ripoff
07-12-2013, 06:12 PM

Better than the player who was second among leftbacks for assists last season in the MLS, who currently can't get a game for this team and is 4 years younger than Bloom?

anto7
07-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Sounds very far fetched your friends brother hmmmm but if it happens then great

Actually I meant to say Brother-in-law but no worries, just telling you what my buddy told me.

Richard
07-12-2013, 06:32 PM
The fascination with journeyman players has to stop, the academy players should be looked as the go to depth players. As its been said, Morgan is right there if needed. Yet again we see a bias towards American players, really no reason not have an Academy player use the spot than some random junk player.

flamehawk
07-12-2013, 06:42 PM
The fascination with journeyman players has to stop, the academy players should be looked as the go to depth players. As its been said, Morgan is right there if needed. Yet again we see a bias towards American players, really no reason not have an Academy player use the spot than some random junk player.

`“We expect him to be a part of the nucleus of TFC we are trying to put together to carry us forward for the next several years.”

Hmm.. Nelsen`s comment doesn`t suggest depth player.

mowe
07-12-2013, 06:47 PM

Except when the academy players aren't good enough. Morgan's been on the roster the whole year and hasn't started. Nelson clearly doesn't rate him on the defensive end. Not sure if this Bloom guy is going to be any better but you shouldn't play academy players just for the hell of it. They need to earn it just like everybody else.

Richard
07-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Your right, there probably isn't a player yet to make the jump but isn't having Morgan and Richter enough? I am also under the impression that academy players can play in MLS, is that wrong to assume? Sort of like Leaf-Marlies.

19Barrett19
07-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Your right, there probably isn't a player yet to make the jump but isn't having Morgan and Richter enough? I am also under the impression that academy players can play in MLS, is that wrong to assume? Sort of like Leaf-Marlies.

i believe when its a friendly game yes and also reserve league, but as far as i know academy players need a pro contract to participate in mls league play

Greatest Ripoff
07-12-2013, 07:21 PM
I should at least let Bloom play a few matches before I go all postal. I just don't have a lot of faith after watching Richter.

OgtheDim
07-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Morgan's been on the roster the whole year and hasn't started....

Actually, he started 5 games this season. You and I remember how he played but some don't. He needs seasoning. I would hope a few sessions with Caldwell yelling at him might help.

Bloom is here on loan. If he doesn't work out, he goes back. KP and the scouts rate him, for some reason.

What this says to me is that O'Dea's days at LB are numbered. KP will likely run with Morgan and Bloom at LB next season. Young & cheap.

19Barrett19
07-12-2013, 07:24 PM
after watching morgan play against KC at rogers center i just game up on him. he was the worst player for tfc that night hence the substitution in that game. He really hasnt played much since and deserving so.

Stress
07-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Seems like a straight swap with Emory. That scouting report sounded alright and a little like an upgrade over Emory so I'm okay with it. I find it funny that Payne said he's going to be part of the nucleus of TFC for the next couple of years.

If Ecks is healthy and Richter/Bloom can be used over Morgan at LB, makes me think they are possibly working on getting O'Dea off the books. A few games back someone posted a rumour about O'Dea being linked to NYRB. Wonder if there was any truth to that. Kind of makes sense as they need to make a serious play off run soon (aging superstars and all) and they might be willing to overlook the crazy salary in order to shore things up and make a run this year. We've certainly seen Dallas do crazier things for no good reason.

Canary10
07-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Chris Klute came from Atlanta on loan to Colorado last season as well. He's been a top full back this year in MLS. So you never know.

Canary10
07-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Yeah, but Houston and San Jose were also rumour to sign him back in January as well. If Lopez is open to MLS now, then I think he will sign with Houston not Toronto.

Read back a page or two and you'll see why he came up. It's a pretty good story.

T-boy
07-12-2013, 08:32 PM
I should at least let Bloom play a few matches before I go all postal. I just don't have a lot of faith after watching Richter.

I have the opposite view - if Bloom is as good as Richter, we have a good find! Richter is a perfectly average MLS full back, and would get game minutes in most MLS teams. I think some people expect far too much frm MLS level full backs. Richter is probably one of the better full backs we have ever had. I know that's not saying too too much, but still, Richter is fine.

19Barrett19
07-12-2013, 08:36 PM
fabio vazquez CM cliip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq93E1je1lU
rodrigo gomez LM clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcAbx2UbKUA
Santiago Naguel RM/RW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlWfSJEnLJk
Juan Edgardo Ramirez LM/CM/CAM no clips found sorry http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/juan-edgardo-ramirez/profil/spieler_190756.html
Reinaldo Lenis LM/LW clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX3M5tqXi30

sorry i could get more but this takes forever. I know this is not the way u scout players but lets just be Mo for a bit ;)

tfcleeds
07-12-2013, 08:41 PM
So, the week begins with speculation about Forlan, and ends with us signing a NASL journeyman. Look, I know we need depth, especially in defense with Morgan and Henry on international duty, and Califf retiring. But as much as I know we need to be patient, this just isn't what I had hoped for by now.

T-boy
07-12-2013, 08:44 PM
I think you just need to wait till next week, I think we will see our major moves by the end of next week. Nelson did say that "we may have to suffer for 1 or 2 games", so that indicates that whoever is replacinv Silva will be here before the Red Bulls game. Bloom is hardly a marquee signing, he's just a depth/possible left back starter at MLS level full back price, rather than having O'Dea playing out of position constantly there for $350k!

tfcleeds
07-12-2013, 08:54 PM
I think you just need to wait till next week, I think we will see our major moves by the end of next week. Nelson did say that "we may have to suffer for 1 or 2 games", so that indicates that whoever is replacinv Silva will be here before the Red Bulls game. Bloom is hardly a marquee signing, he's just a depth/possible left back starter at MLS level full back price, rather than having O'Dea playing out of position constantly there for $350k!

Yeah, I know...and I am hopeful we'll start to see lots of movement next week. Bloom is basically a swap for Emory, and it's a loan deal as well. It's just frustrating being linked with all these pieces we so desperately need, yet things happening so slowly on that front. I am hopeful our lineup will be much different against the Shite Bulls than it will be against KC.

billyfly
07-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Next week barring any issues.

Dreadlocks
07-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Not too impressed but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Califf retires so we're short one central defender and if what Nelson (and Winter) say is true about having 2 players at each position, you bring in Bloom to compete with Morgan for left back. Then you move O'dea back to the middle with Caldwell, Henry and Boss. Ricter and Eks on the right. Voila, 2 players in every back 4 spot who can compete for the job. Also notice you have one player on a higher salary (Morgan not so much) and one cheap/depth player.

Greatest Ripoff
07-12-2013, 10:26 PM
I have the opposite view - if Bloom is as good as Richter, we have a good find! Richter is a perfectly average MLS full back, and would get game minutes in most MLS teams. I think some people expect far too much frm MLS level full backs. Richter is probably one of the better full backs we have ever had. I know that's not saying too too much, but still, Richter is fine.

I don't know about that. Can Richter defend well? I'd say he is average at best. Can he cross the ball? No. Does he have the pace to get up and down the flank? No. I have hard time seeing him start on any other MLS side.

69Chevy396
07-12-2013, 10:34 PM
I was talking to a buddy of mine last night and his brother works for MLSE and according to him there will be a big announcement from TFC on Monday. He either did not know or would not say what it was but was certain it was going to take place on Monday. Take it for what it's worth.
Leafs free agent signing.

billyfly
07-12-2013, 10:36 PM

Barring any issues.

barticusz
07-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Barring any issues.

This wait is killing. I dont' even care if its not a big name like forlan.. i'd love some young good talent.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
07-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Read back a page or two and you'll see why he came up. It's a pretty good story.

^ He's being too modest. Essentially, we get a star-potential AM and he gets at least 1.5 hours with a high-class ho.

ensco
07-13-2013, 06:19 AM
Barring any issues.

I believe Billy.

Wow. This is actually happening?!

Abou Sky
07-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Was speaking with a dad of a kid my son plays soccer with and his other sons coach's wife works for MLSE and said she heard same.

True story, but I don't know what it is worth

OgtheDim
07-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Almost sounds like there has been a bit of a morale issue within the FO so rumours are being enjoyed.

ensco
07-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Leafs free agent signing.

Given the hockey media, anything done on a Friday would leak long before Monday.

jloome
07-13-2013, 10:45 AM
I believe Billy.

Wow. This is actually happening?!

Payne sounded pretty specific (without names of course) on the Soccer Show that they've got three signings to imminently announce. I think the fullback was one of them, so we're probably looking at two names on Monday.

billyfly
07-13-2013, 12:53 PM
It should be only 1 on Monday.

ArmenJBX
07-13-2013, 01:22 PM
I got an email saying Toronto FC are closing in on up to three players for Monday or Tuesday. Take it with a grain of salt. They didn't mention any names though.

Ivy
07-13-2013, 01:44 PM
@SkySportsNews: Sky sources: QPR to send Adel Taarabt out on loan

mowe
07-13-2013, 01:53 PM
I got an email saying Toronto FC are closing in on up to three players for Monday or Tuesday. Take it with a grain of salt. They didn't mention any names though.

Email from a source close to the club? Anyway this is so exciting! If we can get both Forlan and Urruti I would be ecstatic.

barticusz
07-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Email from a source close to the club? Anyway this is so exciting! If we can get both Forlan and Urruti I would be ecstatic.

I'm thinking the three players we may get will all be from Argentino Juniors... I'm hoping for a big name but don't see it happening .. yet.

ArmenJBX
07-13-2013, 02:03 PM
"Up to" three players, some of whom may be announced on Monday or Tuesday.

Corpand
07-13-2013, 02:05 PM
@SkySportsNews: Sky sources: QPR to send Adel Taarabt out on loan

That would be massive.

Ivy
07-13-2013, 02:44 PM
I don't see it happening... Good young player from a relegated team would be loaned to a team in a high league, not mls..

jloome
07-13-2013, 02:56 PM
It should be only 1 on Monday.

THe winger is a young loanee, apparently. Maybe that's why it hasn't filtered down.

tfcleeds
07-13-2013, 06:23 PM
FWIW, Forlan with 2 goals today vs. Fluminense.

billyfly
07-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Yes I agree it should be 3.

1 + 1 or 2

Oldtimer
07-13-2013, 06:28 PM
FWIW, Forlan with 2 goals today vs. Fluminense.

Obviously washed up. :D

flamehawk
07-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Odea gone apparently. I am shocked

CBTFC
07-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Darren O'dea returned to Toronto today to finalize a transfer deal. Looks like we've sold him.

PopePouri
07-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Darren O'dea returned to Toronto today to finalize a transfer deal. Looks like we've sold him.

Geez.

Auzzy
07-13-2013, 06:42 PM
^^ Kaboom, big news about "captain" O'Dea.

In his own words:

Darren O'Dea ‏@odea_darren (https://twitter.com/odea_darren)3m (https://twitter.com/odea_darren/status/356195264710709248)
For every1 asking I'm discussing terms with another team. Not what I want! Not got a choice! I'll update you when things are clearer!

OgtheDim
07-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Not shocked by a transfer but definitely weird timing.

dantdot
07-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Thought we'd wait out the season at least. His contract was just untenable though.

OgtheDim
07-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Never burn a bridge Darren. His agent should take away his phone.

Auzzy
07-13-2013, 06:46 PM
For O'Dea's sake especially, I hope they found him something in the UK, and that he's not being shuffled around MLS. That's not the kind of crap that makes anyone from overseas want to sign with MLS, not if they have options.

tfcleeds
07-13-2013, 06:46 PM
The old regime's squad being dismantled piece by piece.

Milanista
07-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Thank God, he is always out of position and making big mistakes...this whole team is being torn apart and it is about time. We are seeing it with the Raps, we saw it with the leafs and now with TFC. Let's see what they have planned out, exciting times ahead!

Yohan
07-13-2013, 06:55 PM
man, KP is ruthless. O'Dea loves Toronto, but this business is very cutthroat

Globetrotter
07-13-2013, 06:56 PM
And if Caldwell gets injured, that leaves Henry and Agboss in the middle? Yikes.

Yohan
07-13-2013, 06:58 PM
And if Caldwell gets injured, that leaves Henry and Agboss in the middle? Yikes.

gotta have a CB in the pipelines. maybe that Gleison dude who trialed a while ago?

Nuvinho
07-13-2013, 06:59 PM
the salary comes off the books (well half of it probably) and also if it involves a transfer fee.....more allocation for KP.

jabbronies
07-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Thank God, he is always out of position and making big mistakes...this whole team is being torn apart and it is about time. We are seeing it with the Raps, we saw it with the leafs and now with TFC. Let's see what they have planned out, exciting times ahead!

That's why he was moved out to the flank. Too many game changing mistakes from him.

tfcleeds
07-13-2013, 07:02 PM
If anything, this lends more credence to the idea that we'll be getting in new bodies early next week. There's no way KP could be so dumb as to leave us this shorthanded squad-wise for too long, could he?

OgtheDim
07-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Wow; 3 games in 7 days with only those players. Any injuries today and.....

Nuvinho
07-13-2013, 07:09 PM
^injuries or red cards.

SKB
07-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Well, looks like we are going to get those 3 big signings next week, FO is clearing more cap room. O'Dea was a decent player but not the CB stud we were looking for and way too expensive for his skill level. Liked his attitude and he was proud to ware the TFC shirt. On one hand sad to seem him go, but had to be done. I expected this to be done at the end of the season but as Payne said sometimes offers come up when the timing is not perfect.

I am little concerned about the depth in our back line now. As someone pointed out if Caldwell gets injured we will be in big trouble. Erkersley is coming back and he is versatile but his kind of injury can be real nagging. This is who we have for defenders
Erkersly
Richter
Caldwell
Henry
Gale A
Morgan
Bloom
Russell???

Hopefully they have found an additional defender that became available.

Corpand
07-13-2013, 07:14 PM
O'Dea has temper issues which can lead him to make bonehead plays. Decent defender though, hope he lands somewhere promising for his career. I'm happy he managed to score last game but his salary is really holding up the moves.

Glad Caldwell will be the captain.

OgtheDim
07-13-2013, 07:21 PM
I just watched the two goals by NYRB in the first half of their match against Montreal. I actually think our defence is better then Montreal's. We don't let people waltz into the area much. But without Caldwell, I think we would be in big trouble.

Nuvinho
07-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Ecks will be next. Don't think he will take a 50% paycut to stay here. Can you imagine if you were offered a 50% paycut?

ensco
07-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Thrilled if O'Dea is gone. Frankly I hope Ecks is moved too.

Nothing personal, I know they're good guys. They'll get their money.

International Defenders all over the league make far less than these two.

Yohan
07-13-2013, 07:29 PM
I just watched the two goals by NYRB in the first half of their match against Montreal. I actually think our defence is better then Montreal's. We don't let people waltz into the area much. But without Caldwell, I think we would be in big trouble.

Nesta has mentally retired already

Ajax TFC
07-13-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't think you can point to this as an indication of incoming moves being immanent. We're not releasing him, we're selling him. At his salary, I'm sure they just took the opportunity to get him off the books, replacement in line or not. When someone offers you money (which partly becomes allocation) for a player who's salary you're trying to dump, you don't think twice about accepting.

Ivy
07-13-2013, 07:39 PM
I don't think you can point to this as an indication of incoming moves being immanent. We're not releasing him, we're selling him. At his salary, I'm sure they just took the opportunity to get him off the books, replacement in line or not. When someone offers you money (which partly becomes allocation) for a player who's salary you're trying to dump, you don't think twice about accepting.
I don't think they would risk a depleted defense if there was no imment move.

Haddy
07-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Anybody know what exactly Frei's "visa issues" were?

dantdot
07-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Anybody know what exactly Frei's "visa issues" were?

Tweeted about it, said he had to renew his green card.

Haddy
07-13-2013, 07:59 PM
^ Thanks for clarifying.

Stress
07-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Tooting my own horn but I knew odea was being dumped (as per my Bloom post). If we get any more cb's I doubt they will be high profile.

Milanista
07-13-2013, 09:00 PM

i agree, he is an ok defender...nothing special..ciao lets move on

Ivy
07-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Funny how this unfinished transfer detail business of O'Dea is being announced 2 days after Kevin Payne says that they don't talk about players under contract.

jazzy
07-13-2013, 09:35 PM

ya next year is the new year 1....:o

Auzzy
07-13-2013, 09:39 PM
^injuries or red cards.

Addition by subtraction: Lambe out for the next game.

OgtheDim
07-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Hmm.....Nelsen says in the after match interview that ODea has an offer to go to Ukraine and that it was too good for TFC and him to pass up.

nonc
07-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Hmm.....Nelsen says in the after match interview that ODea has an offer to go to Ukraine and that it was too good for TFC and him to pass up.

Especially if it's Dynamo Kiev or Shakhtar.

Richard
07-13-2013, 11:34 PM
*start the car!!!*

OgtheDim
07-13-2013, 11:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsdBlBq37Qk

Ivy
07-14-2013, 12:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsdBlBq37Qk
100% O'Dea earlier today.
I laughed pretty hard at this. Thank you :D

Marc"2L"
07-14-2013, 01:37 AM
These are going to be some very crucial acquisitions...
Hopefully Monday we'll know something is happening Tuesday..

trane
07-14-2013, 05:50 AM

ahahahahahahahahah. Yes, our defense is better then Montreal;s. hahahahahahahhaha. You know what we are a better team then Montreal.

JuliquE
07-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Montréal should abandon one of either their current crest or the Canadian flag, replacing it with the Italian flag, judging by the way even their rival supporters go to battle for them. "haha": truer words..

OgtheDim
07-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Meh..... we are a better defence IMHO. Montreal can't handle any central movement and their keeper is below average. We have a serious RB issue but we are not as bad as they are as a unit. Our midfield on the other hand.... Laba can only do so much. Lambe is not good enough, Convey can't find spaces. Hall is a sub. Which leaves our strikers isolated.

DigzTFC!
07-14-2013, 10:03 AM
I think Justin Braun and Stefan Frei will be the next to be moved. There are only a few moves left to get this team's salary cap flexibility under control.

barticusz
07-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Can anyone provide us with a cap situation update after all these moves.. We should be over 1m in available space now.

Ultra & Proud
07-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Can anyone provide us with a cap situation update after all these moves.. We should be over 1m in available space now.
Must be. Someone had us at around $700K a few days ago so now it should be over that I guess.

jazzy
07-14-2013, 11:12 AM

exactly ...kills our rep but should be done......oo such a hole we've dug.

HuTor
07-14-2013, 11:18 AM
These are going to be some very crucial acquisitions...
Hopefully Monday we'll know something is happening Tuesday..

I just hope that Monday we'll know that hopefully Tuesday we'll know something is happening Wednesday... :)

Ultra & Proud
07-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Well with everything that has gone down in the past few weeks, this becomes the transfer window for Payne to prove himself. It was an important window before, now it's immense.

69Chevy396
07-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Montréal should abandon one of either their current crest or the Canadian flag, replacing it with the Italian flag, judging by the way even their rival supporters go to battle for them. "haha": truer words..
I dont get this. If I were to write something like this, say for eg. TFC sucks because of all the English and UK connections, I would be summarily banned, but this attack on Italian football is accepted? I for one think Montreal made the prudent move signing players from one of the worlds top footballing nations, rather than accept the second rate players and coaches from the uk..not very nice is it when stuff like this is posted?

cmonyoureds
07-14-2013, 01:24 PM
We've made a tonne of roster moves, all of them could be interpreted as progressive, however...........................the cynic in me that's been here 7 years wonders how much is preparing to make a move, and how much is ditching salary as turnover and profits diminish. I guess we'll know by the end of this transfer window.

TorontoGooner
07-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Well with everything that has gone down in the past few weeks, this becomes the transfer window for Payne to prove himself. It was an important window before, now it's immense.

Exactly. If he fails to deliver in this transfer window he'll just be all talk

gracos
07-14-2013, 01:38 PM
I think that we just need to give time for us to free up cap space, and just evaluate our options; this season is a writeoff afterall

tfc2008
07-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Wat you guys thinking about D Koevermans he gone be longer here.
he isn't cheap injured don't play so much , how long he gone be here?

NolbertoS
07-14-2013, 02:05 PM
How much does Richard Eckersley make?? I have a feeling he's next too. Seems Paybe is making us start at Year 1 next season. Hopefully this period of time will be better then under Mariner and Winter's watch.

TFC07
07-14-2013, 02:18 PM
How much does Richard Eckersley make?? I have a feeling he's next too. Seems Paybe is making us start at Year 1 next season. Hopefully this period of time will be better then under Mariner and Winter's watch.

I think Ecks is staying because he will count as a domestic next year and I think he's willing to take a pay cut for longer term contract.

OgtheDim
07-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Whoops...posted this in the KC game thread...should have been here.

In the spirit of loopy conjecture:

We transfer O'Dea to Shakhtar Donetsk.

In return Donestk sends out on loan, http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/alan...er_104505.html (http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/alan-patrick/profil/spieler_104505.html) to Internacional (5 days ago)

Who plays at Internacional again? Forlan you say? Well imagine that.

The way I see this working is

a) we ask about Forlan

b) Internacional says, "Not until we get a replacement AM."

c) KP remembers a certain team wanted O'Dea last year. Gives them a call. "Hey, would you be interested in O'Dea"

d) "Sure, what's it going to cost."

e) "Well, among other things, we want Forlan, and they won't let him go until they have a replacement".

f) Hmmm....we have this Brazilian who isn't playing much, they might be interested.

And so it goes.

Yeah, I know, unlikely but stranger things have happened.

Abou Sky
07-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Whoops...posted this in the KC game thread...should have been here.

In the spirit of loopy conjecture:

We transfer O'Dea to Shakhtar Donetsk.

In return Donestk sends out on loan, http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/alan...er_104505.html (http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/alan-patrick/profil/spieler_104505.html) to Internacional (5 days ago)

Who plays at Internacional again? Forlan you say? Well imagine that.

The way I see this working is

a) we ask about Forlan

b) Internacional says, "Not until we get a replacement AM."

c) KP remembers a certain team wanted O'Dea last year. Gives them a call. "Hey, would you be interested in O'Dea"

d) "Sure, what's it going to cost."

e) "Well, among other things, we want Forlan, and they won't let him go until they have a replacement".

f) Hmmm....we have this Brazilian who isn't playing much, they might be interested.

And so it goes.

Yeah, I know, unlikely but stranger things have happened.

Surprisingly, that convoluted jumble makes sense...

Ivy
07-14-2013, 02:55 PM
But how does inter benefit from all of that? Forlan is producing for them every game...

Ultra & Proud
07-14-2013, 02:59 PM
But how does inter benefit from all of that? Forlan is producing for them every game...
Money. These teams down there are all about that.

Ivy
07-14-2013, 03:09 PM
I gotta say, this move makes sense for all parties involved. Shakhtar are HUGE player flippers - and they're really good at it. They'll take young brazilians for cheap, loan or develop them for afew years, and then sell them of for multimillion dollar transfer fees.

Ivy
07-14-2013, 03:13 PM
So is this speculation? That Shakhtar is the team?

JuliquE
07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
I dont get this. If I were to write something like this, say for eg. TFC sucks because of all the English and UK connections, I would be summarily banned, but this attack on Italian football is accepted? I for one think Montreal made the prudent move signing players from one of the worlds top footballing nations, rather than accept the second rate players and coaches from the uk..not very nice is it when stuff like this is posted?
It is perhaps my fault that you've completely missed the context, as I didn't quote anyone in my reply, the way I am now.

I just thought the condescending tone of the post above mine wasn't warranted; this is a place where we share opinions, after all -- they won't all be the same and, if genuine, should all be respected.

For the record, I can't begin to say how much I was fuming when Mariner passed on Nesta and in the way it went down, as well. I'm not biased and would accept a player from anywhere, if he's the real deal. That being said, I haven't the slightest problem with the signing of Italian players and agree with you that it is likely one of the better places we could look for skilled talent.

Sorry, again, for the confusion.

OgtheDim
07-14-2013, 03:42 PM

On my part, yes. I was doing a Paul Mariner scouting job on Shakhtar's wikipedia page and noticed the loan out. Could be Dynamo Kiev but Shakhtar has more money then sense.

Rene Kingsriver
07-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Don't know which board you've been on for the past 7 years but people say that stuff all the time.

69Chevy396
07-14-2013, 04:09 PM
It is perhaps my fault that you've completely missed the context, as I didn't quote anyone in my reply, the way I am now.

I just thought the condescending tone of the post above mine wasn't warranted; this is a place where we share opinions, after all -- they won't all be the same and, if genuine, should all be respected.

For the record, I can't begin to say how much I was fuming when Mariner passed on Nesta and in the way it went down, as well. I'm not biased and would accept a player from anywhere, if he's the real deal. That being said, I haven't the slightest problem with the signing of Italian players and agree with you that it is likely one of the better places we could look for skilled talent.

Sorry, again, for the confusion.
The heat got to me today, thanks.

tfcleeds
07-14-2013, 04:15 PM
On my part, yes. I was doing a Paul Mariner scouting job on Shakhtar's wikipedia page and noticed the loan out. Could be Dynamo Kiev but Shakhtar has more money then sense.

I'm also guessing that O'Dea wouldn't accept moving his family to the Ukraine unless it was one of those big clubs.

reggie
07-14-2013, 04:34 PM

why would they want him...he is not that good..

Corpand
07-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Not Donetsk.

OgtheDim
07-14-2013, 05:12 PM
I have no clue why a team playing in the Europa league or the CL qualifiers would want O'Dea.

Of the 3 teams in the Ukraine who have "lots of money", as O'Dea called his offer from last year, Shakter has the most money. I suppose Metalist is also an option. I can't see any other team having money. As to why they want him, those 3 teams tend to go with cheap home grown or South American players.

Thus....START THE CAR!

moralis
07-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Looks like Max Urruti wont be coming to TFC. His agent spoke to the media and said that his client is in advanced negotiations with Independiente of Argentina and Pumas of Mexico. Even the money Kevin Payne has got to spend and he can't sign Urruti.

Juan Ignacio Egido ‏@JuanchiEgido18 3h
El representante de Maximiliano Urruti confesó que las negociaciones más avanzadas son por parte de #Independiente y de Pumas de México.

https://twitter.com/JuanchiEgido18/s...90823505944576 (https://twitter.com/JuanchiEgido18/status/356490823505944576)

What will TFC do?

Alonso
07-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Looks like Max Urruti wont be coming to TFC. His agent spoke to the media and said that his client is in advanced negotiations with Independiente of Argentina and Pumas of Mexico. Even the money Kevin Payne has got to spend and he can't sign Urruti.

Juan Ignacio Egido ‏@JuanchiEgido18 3h
El representante de Maximiliano Urruti confesó que las negociaciones más avanzadas son por parte de #Independiente y de Pumas de México.

https://twitter.com/JuanchiEgido18/s...90823505944576 (https://twitter.com/JuanchiEgido18/status/356490823505944576)

What will TFC do?

Personally I think that a better translation is that "Maximiliano Urruti's agent revealed that negotiations were more further along with Independiente and Pumas of Mexico."

This doesn't mean that TFC aren't in the negotiations, and probably just means that his agent is priming the pump, so to speak.

TFC being the engine in my analogy of course, and more money the primer...

jazzy
07-14-2013, 10:30 PM

yes but surely the Saputo's would never go any way but Italian....They are very "Italian".....and wouldn't even back soccer if it wasn't in the forza way, their comfort level in soccer...........As much as I am weary of British influence on soccer in Canada....this city's heritage and backers have always been wasps......If only our distinguished 'new Canadians' would put up $$$, invest in the city,.. like the Saputos then and only then would we have more of an international style here..Many here have a love/hate relationship with the city.....the city gives them a safe and affordable home yet many refuse to invest in the future as many 'Montrealers do. TO in many cases is all about take and take...hence we end up with MLSE and the likes.....do any of them really care for this city? It's seems too many are just about making the $$.....

Haddy
07-14-2013, 11:03 PM
TO in many cases is all about take and take...hence we end up with MLSE and the likes.....do any of them really care for this city? It's seems too many are just about making the $$.....

Larry Tanenbaum and family. Gives back an incredible amount. Not sure about other MLSE notables.

Back on topic, not liking the chances of new players on the pitch by Saturday. Signing could happen but I think the road trip poses a problem in terms of integration.

Wingback6
07-14-2013, 11:38 PM

'Than'. FB's are more valuable (harder to find) than CBs. So Ecks has a leg up on O'Dear. That being said, his injury can't have helped his chances of sticking around, and if he was a few years older, it would have REALLY hurt them.

OgtheDim
07-15-2013, 06:12 AM
Something better happen today, even if its an announcement of an announcement tomorrow.