PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Haddy
07-29-2013, 02:41 PM
just can't see Kaka ever playing for TFC...no way this happens, y'all can stop dreaming

Article from BBC says Ancelotti has Kaka working hard to recover lost speed. As a first impression, I'd say Carlo is going to give him every chance to regain his place before finally discarding him.

dantdot
07-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Just reading between the lines from what Payne said, I doubt Urruti is our young DP. He would have 1 year of young DP status and then would be a regular. If we are bringing in a regular DP now and another one in January we won't have the ability to graduate Urruti to a full DP after next season.

The player will have to be a very young DP level player.

Also how long has the "young" DP designation been around? I feel like they will have to do something with a bridge contract between young DP and full DP if the league wants to retain some of the young talent they are trying to develop via this rule.

Look at Laba and the failed Melano bid for the kind of young DPs we're looking at. Would not be surprised if it's another 19-20-year-old Argentine U20 player.

As for Urruti, I doubt we can even get him, full DP or not. Can't see us winning a bidding war down there with these other big teams involved.

OgtheDim
07-29-2013, 02:58 PM
What are you talking about, he married Paz Cardoso, what a dog:

And she's a medical student (never saw that pic before - I tend not to Google images). Never said she was a dog. Field hockey player.

Most people have been doing pics of Zaira Nara.

Ultimately, its not so easy for her to do her business from here as it was, for example, Posh Spice.

ag futbol
07-29-2013, 03:42 PM
just can't see Kaka ever playing for TFC...no way this happens, y'all can stop dreaming
You've written this before, but haven't really explained why... so what's your theory?

As far as I can see, he's toast at Madrid. His reputation in European football is very much on the downhill. There will be a list of european clubs who will want to take a look as well as a few Brazilian ones undoubtedly. Now that being said, lots of these clubs won't derive the value from his image the way a MLS side would, so that's a big part of his value TFC could fork over money for that others couldn't / wouldn't. They'd also require a higher standard of play than we would.

His Brazilian 2014 dreams are done and dusted. The older generation is being pushed out and the younger generation is coming along just well enough where there won't be any second guessing with old hold overs. Tack on some of the attitude / entitlement problems Scolari flushed out of the previously losing squad and that makes it extremely unlikely you'll see names like Ronaldinho, Kaka, etc... Baring a miracle run of form they won't be in the squad.

So if the cheque is as big as Leiweke's talk, I don't see any reason why he couldn't end up in North America.

gdg_9
07-29-2013, 03:55 PM

You've written this before, but haven't really explained why... so what's your theory?

As far as I can see, he's toast at Madrid. His reputation in European football is very much on the downhill. There will be a list of european clubs who will want to take a look as well as a few Brazilian ones undoubtedly. Now that being said, lots of these clubs won't derive the value from his image the way a MLS side would, so that's a big part of his value TFC could fork over money for that others couldn't / wouldn't. They'd also require a higher standard of play than we would.

His Brazilian 2014 dreams are done and dusted. The older generation is being pushed out and the younger generation is coming along just well enough where there won't be any second guessing with old hold overs. Tack on some of the attitude / entitlement problems Scolari flushed out of the previously losing squad and that makes it extremely unlikely you'll see names like Ronaldinho, Kaka, etc... Baring a miracle run of form they won't be in the squad.

So if the cheque is as big as Leiweke's talk, I don't see any reason why he couldn't end up in North America.

I dont see Kaka coming to TFC either.
The writing is already on the wall for him to come to Orlando after his contract is up in 2015 - perfect timing to be their first DP when they enter MLS.

Dreadlocks
07-29-2013, 04:01 PM
IMO Kaka is too slow (at this point in his career) and injury prone for this league. Any team that signs him will regret it.

Don't get it twisted, I am a fan of his for sure but reality is reality.

edit: Kaka played his best under Anceloti so I'm guessing he'll stay at Madrid until at least the Winter transfer window. Anceloti will give him a chance.

Abou Sky
07-29-2013, 04:50 PM
IMO Kaka is too slow (at this point in his career) and injury prone for this league. Any team that signs him will regret it.

Don't get it twisted, I am a fan of his for sure but reality is reality.

edit: Kaka played his best under Anceloti so I'm guessing he'll stay at Madrid until at least the Winter transfer window. Anceloti will give him a chance.

Was just reading today that Anceloti has him doing extra training for speed & fitness.

I think that some of these guys figure that 'I am always in great shape, I can eat/drink what I want and I will be fine' then they approach thirty and get smacked in the face with reality. (Of course, I would love to have the fitness level of Kaka but you get the point)

MartinUtd
07-29-2013, 05:07 PM
I dont see Kaka coming to TFC either.
The writing is already on the wall for him to come to Orlando after his contract is up in 2015 - perfect timing to be their first DP when they enter MLS.

What writing? You mean that tweet by their president? Orlando talking about signing Kaka is a fucking joke.

jazzy
07-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Besides last game, Henry has been solid in the back. People sometimes forget he's only 20 years old. Most players in his age are playing college soccer in NA. So I except Henry to make mistakes and be inconsistent at times.

If we are going to be a winning team we have to nurture , young talent , esp Canadian talent when possible, to solidify the team, along with the 'star' ,lol DP's...it is the difference of a strong team and a team with just a few 'stars'. Like my admiration for Osorio early on , Henry is a future strong non-import talent. this is the team I desire.

jazzy
07-29-2013, 05:33 PM
You'd be saying something different if Arrieta went down easy and Henry got sent off. Gets beaten, grabs shirt. Henry was lucky that Arrieta played fair

I would hope that would be called a 'dive'. Imagine instead of simply just playing the game fairly we are all hoping a that an embellished 'foul' doesn't occur. Would be nice to see a bit more fair play as the general rule instead of soccers known 'dives' to have such an influence on the game. I don't think Henry did anything that both sides defenders do/did consistantly.

AlanO
07-29-2013, 06:02 PM
TFC is getting desperate if they were trying to sign Neill. But then again, Nelsen may wanted to hook up his friend (assuming here) a job? So maybe Nelsen was trying to do a flavour here? Thankfully, it didn't workout in the end.
Really glad Neill hasn't been signed.

This season is a write-off. The remaining games are a good opportunity for Henry and Boss to play next to Caldwell and learn from him.

v00d00daddy
07-29-2013, 07:07 PM
I would hope that would be called a 'dive'. Imagine instead of simply just playing the game fairly we are all hoping a that an embellished 'foul' doesn't occur. Would be nice to see a bit more fair play as the general rule instead of soccers known 'dives' to have such an influence on the game. I don't think Henry did anything that both sides defenders do/did consistantly.

Come on. If that was Brockie on the edge of the box being held like that by Marshall we'd be screaming about a non call and Nelsen would further complain about the poor officiating in MLS.

I agree that the clutching and grabbing happens a lot on dead ball plays like corners and free kicks but we got away with one on Saturday. That non call is the very reason that players embellish.

You talk about playing "fairly". What's fair about any defender twice grabbing an opposing player, preventing him from being alone on goal?

v00d00daddy
07-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Ten days left before the window closes. I hope they bring in reinforcements but I'd be okay with them avoiding making a splash just to live up to their words.

I'd rather be talking about the transfer window talk and lack of signings from the club than talking about an over the hill rushed signing.

markie8002000
07-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Part of this article on TSN about the transfer window.... http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=428707

Haddy
07-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Part of this article on TSN about the transfer window.... http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=428707

Based on the second paragraph below, looks like my question has been answered about when that 3rd DP would be announced.

From Wileman's blog:

The talk about major additions has been ongoing for some time now but Toronto FC president and general manager Kevin Payne told me on Saturday that they are on course to add some significant new signings before the transfer window closes in a couple of weeks' time.

Payne said the club is making progress in adding both a Designated Player and a Young Designated Player. He also tells me the club hopes to announce an additional signing within the coming days of a Designated Player who will join the club in January.

[NBF]
07-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Part of this article on TSN about the transfer window.... http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=428707 The rain clouds rolled in and TFC deserves the win? Better yet, Ryan Nelsen deserves the credit......Pfff!:rolleyes:

The most import time for TFC to pick up players and so far:

PLAYERS IN:

1. Rey
2. Thomas
3. Bloom

PLAYERS OUT:

1. Dunfield
2. Emory
3. Silva
4. Califf
5. O'Dea

ensco
07-29-2013, 08:34 PM
The Kaka talk is silly. Kaka may come to MLS, but he would simply never play for anyone other than NY or LA. He has way too much value brand-wise.

OgtheDim
07-29-2013, 08:38 PM
;1604793'].

The most import time for TFC to pick up players and so far:

PLAYERS IN:

1. Rey
2. Thomas
3. Bloom

PLAYERS OUT:

1. Dunfield
2. Emory
3. Silva
4. Califf
5. O'Dea

I must say I can't disagree with any of those moves on their own.

Rey is unproven but a definate upgrade from Lamb. Thomas and Bloom are cheap bench warmers.

Dunfield wasn't good enough, nor was Emory. Silva was worth more to DCU then to TFC. Califf couldn't be traded, was not liked by Nelsen at all, for whatever reason, and, well, kinda just quit in the end. And O'Dea's contract was a boat anchor.

The issue remains, who will TFC bring in?

Two more weeks to see.

Haddy
07-29-2013, 08:49 PM
From the BBC's Tuesday gossip section:

Uruguayan striker Santiago "The Tank" Silva is to leave Argentine side Boca Juniors for Lanus.

http://www.clarin.com/deportes/Silva-Boca-Lanus_0_964703796.html

I wonder where that leaves Urutti?

Pint
07-29-2013, 08:51 PM
So how do we announce a DP signing now for January?

Does he play now for us and then become a DP in January or will he not be available until January?

Haddy
07-29-2013, 08:54 PM
So how do we announce a DP signing now for January?

Does he play now for us and then become a DP in January or will he not be available until January?

Join the club months later. Beckham is one such DP announcement ahead of his arrival.

Pint
07-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Join the club months later. Beckham is one such DP announcement ahead of his arrival.

So would they play for the few months before arriving with their prior team?

Toronto Funk
07-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Just gotta throw it out there because of this article - what about our chances of snagging Ronaldinho?

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=futebolbrasil&id=427

Marc"2L"
07-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Just gotta throw it out there because of this article - what about our chances of snagging Ronaldinho?

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=futebolbrasil&id=427

Out of gas. I don't think he would have the same motivations as what Leiweke wants in a DP.

Haddy
07-29-2013, 09:24 PM
So would they play for the few months before arriving with their prior team?

Theoretically, yes. Generally it is someone who has an expiring contract.

Like Funk, I've also thrown out Ronaldinho's name - simply because of his expiring contract in December. The idea of him playing here has been debated in this thread many times.

Richard
07-29-2013, 09:27 PM
I would go streaking if we got Ronaldinho g:D. One of my all time favourite players. I don't think he is out of gas, he has changed positions to CM according to the article which suits him well with his passing ability.

MartinUtd
07-29-2013, 09:33 PM
If we signed Ronaldinho, he'd end up taking vacations back to Brazil monday - thursday every week with or without the clubs permission.

Marc"2L"
07-29-2013, 09:34 PM
I would go streaking if we got Ronaldinho g:D. One of my all time favourite players. I don't think he is out of gas, he has changed positions to CM according to the article which suits him well with his passing ability.

I'm more worried about his mental game at this age. Yeah he's still got it but I don't think he'll approach the game the same way here.

Stress
07-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Based on the second paragraph below, looks like my question has been answered about when that 3rd DP would be announced.

From Wileman's blog:

The talk about major additions has been ongoing for some time now but Toronto FC president and general manager Kevin Payne told me on Saturday that they are on course to add some significant new signings before the transfer window closes in a couple of weeks' time.

Payne said the club is making progress in adding both a Designated Player and a Young Designated Player. He also tells me the club hopes to announce an additional signing within the coming days of a Designated Player who will join the club in January.

The writing is on the wall for Koevs, has to concede in salary or go packing. This announcement should be interesting. I can't help but feel like it's going to be a significant name to help bring back some excitement and help push new marketing and sales in the offseason. I hope they got the right guy.

Haddy
07-29-2013, 09:38 PM
The writing is on the wall for Koevs, has to concede in salary or go packing. This announcement should be interesting. I can't help but feel like it's going to be a significant name to help bring back some excitement and help push new marketing and sales in the offseason. I hope they got the right guy.

That's why you have to think they want to announce it now. Season ticket sales need all the help they can get. That and how else do you expect them to pay for all the fancy BMO upgrades? Their own generosity? LoL

jabbronies
07-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Someone with an expiring contract in Jan 2014?
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/vertragsende/basics_GB1.html

go nuts!

Xabi Alonso to TFC baby! lol
or maybe we'll go large and get Craig Bellamy

West220Side
07-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Maybe Odemwingie will show up at BMO Field on deadline day?

Milanista
07-29-2013, 11:07 PM
if kaka ever left madrid and would be free you can bet Milan would be his first choice to mentor the young squad. Kaka can still play at a high level, his time at madrid has killed his swag

ensco
07-29-2013, 11:12 PM

If he leaves he is going to Chelsea or someone of that caliber. I doubt you'll ever see him doing the MLS/Middle East/Australia swan song circuit. Once he's done with elite level football, he's going back to Real Sociedad. He is a legend of Basque football.

gdg_9
07-30-2013, 08:09 AM
Someone with an expiring contract in Jan 2014?
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/vertragsende/basics_GB1.html

go nuts!

or maybe we'll go large and get Craig Bellamy

On that list from the Premier league, the only player I see that fits the description of Lieweke's talk and has the brand name to warrant such an early announcement is Frank Lampard.

From Spanish League I just see Alonso (no chance!)
From Italy, Pirlo (again, no chance!), maybe Klose (too old)
From Turkey, maybe Drogba

Or from Brazil... back to Forlan.

Beyond that, I don't see much else.

(Don't get me wrong, there are tons of other players I would love TFC to add, but none that I see fitting the bill of what Lieweke has been talking about - huge brand name, veteran role model, etc.)

One name on the list that caught my eye, but does not really fall into the category of a huge name player, is Georgios Samaras.
He's a big talented striker, and is by no means over the hill (he would be only 29 if we signed him for 2014).
He would also be a HUGE marketing draw with Toronto's massive Greek community.

My father is a big Celtic fan, so I've seen him play a bit, and for whatever reason I've always thought he would fit in well at TFC.

Nuvinho
07-30-2013, 08:19 AM
not a DP, but RN may go grab some buddies from the A-league - Brett Emerton

Pint
07-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Was TL a major player in LA's pursuit of Lampard? He would be the name that interests me the most on that list(that has been linked to mls)

[NBF]
07-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Everton Target: Atiba Hutchinson, joins Besiktas

Beşiktaş have completed the signing of former PSV midfielder Atiba Hutchinson.

The 30-year-old midfielder was released by PSV this summer and also linked with a move to Everton.

"It's always been my ambition and dream to play in the Premier League," Hutchinson said.

"After two and a half years at PSV I am ready for a new step."

Despite interest from a number of Premier League outfits Beşiktaş were able to agree terms with the Canadian international.

Hutchinson was also close to joining Antalyaspor according to club president Gültekin Gencer.

Gencer said, "We were on the verge of signing Atiba yesterday evening however, it emerged that Besiktas had opened talks with him."

Hutchinson joined PSV on a free transfer in 2010.

The Canadian international is the ninth player to join the Black Eagles this summer.

It bothers me to think that anyone would rather stay in Europe with this current financial situation, it would make more sense to come back to Canada for a retirement fund. 30 years old and has been playing right back for PSV. Blah. TFC, just would rather pay 2 million dollars on a kid that probably would have as much effect on the team. Money well spent:facepalm:

TOBOR !
07-30-2013, 08:45 AM
If he leaves he is going to Chelsea or someone of that caliber. I doubt you'll ever see him doing the MLS/Middle East/Australia swan song circuit. Once he's done with elite level football, he's going back to Real Sociedad. He is a legend of Basque football.

Napoli - Rafa's squadbuilding over there.

PopePouri
07-30-2013, 08:45 AM
Swiss left-back Jonas Elmer reportedly close to joining Toronto FC on 1.5 year deal. http://sbn.to/162QcH4 (http://t.co/V15DxTnm7D)

Hooray! A left-back.

JonO
07-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Ugh... transfer fee... maybe that's why they needed the allocation?

PopePouri
07-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Paul Mariner scouting report

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Elmer
http://youtu.be/BC1sRN8j55I

jabbronies
07-30-2013, 09:07 AM

I know...I was just stirring the pot with that comment

OgtheDim
07-30-2013, 09:11 AM
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/jonas-elmer/leistungsdaten/spieler_31774_2012.html

25 is good. A horse playing tons since he broke his leg 4 years ago.

Not very tall though.

Haddy
07-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Swiss left-back Jonas Elmer reportedly close to joining Toronto FC on 1.5 year deal. http://sbn.to/162QcH4 (http://t.co/V15DxTnm7D)

Hooray! A left-back.

The John Bostock of LB's. I say that simply because all his early potential has amounted to squat.

69Chevy396
07-30-2013, 09:18 AM
;1604878']Everton Target: Atiba Hutchinson, joins Besiktas

It bothers me to think that anyone would rather stay in Europe with this current financial situation, it would make more sense to come back to Canada for a retirement fund. 30 years old and has been playing right back for PSV. Blah. TFC, just would rather pay 2 million dollars on a kid that probably would have as much effect on the team. Money well spent:facepalm:

He is not that good, and for that kind of money we could have had the best Canadian player of all time (Dero) so please no more talk of Canadian players simply because, well, because they are Canadian. As a DP he would not do anything to increase the fan base (forlan, Kaka etc).

69Chevy396
07-30-2013, 09:19 AM
The John Bostock of LB's. I say that simply because all his early potential has amounted to squat.

Who is Jonas Elmer, and why should I care.

ag futbol
07-30-2013, 09:25 AM
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/jonas-elmer/leistungsdaten/spieler_31774_2012.html

25 is good. A horse playing tons since he broke his leg 4 years ago.

Not very tall though.
More than tall enough for a LB. highlight video on YouTube ... He looks ok.

We badly need help up front though and I hope we aren't planning to start convey on a regular basis.

gdg_9
07-30-2013, 09:26 AM
What kind of cap hit would Elmer have?

Hearing words like "under contract", "transfer fee", and "Workhorse for his current team" scare me.

This better not be another Ecks or O'Dea contract.

OgtheDim
07-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Bostock was having issues getting a regular game when out on loan.

This guy starts and finishes games, admittedly at a second division level. I'm not sold on him until he is seen, and we see the numbers, but calling him Bostock is a bit much.

MartinUtd
07-30-2013, 09:27 AM
What happened with the Herculez Gomez rumours? Could he be the January signing they're talking about? I figured for that, it can't be a player currently in Europe.

pekduck
07-30-2013, 09:30 AM

Hooray! A left-back.

Swiss? They need a quality keeper right? No?

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2013, 09:37 AM
;1604878']Everton Target: Atiba Hutchinson, joins Besiktas

With this team there's always more time. Hutch is 30 and playing leagues of that stature, at that level I think he could still retire here if he wants.

He is not that good, and for that kind of money we could have had the best Canadian player of all time (Dero) so please no more talk of Canadian players simply because, well, because they are Canadian. As a DP he would not do anything to increase the fan base (forlan, Kaka etc).

It's about value in the end. Canadians of that caliber are welcome here if they fill a role for a good value.

Haddy
07-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Bostock was having issues getting a regular game when out on loan.

This guy starts and finishes games, admittedly at a second division level. I'm not sold on him until he is seen, and we see the numbers, but calling him Bostock is a bit much.

You're right. This guy had a chance as a teen at Chelsea and left after failure while Bostock stayed on the Spurs books much longer.

But I shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

Milanista
07-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Swiss have some really nice footballers, they have improved their whole system. I don't know jack about this guy, but swiss football is def on the rise

JonO
07-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Probably not the place for it, but I rate Atiba higher than DeRo. This is not a knock on DeRo, I just think Hutchison is that much. My only concern with him would be his history of injuries... But I guess the point is now moot.

Milanista
07-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Klose is an animal, he might be older but he would be the best striker in MLS..Watch him with Lazio, the guy is a fukin boss.

glaze
07-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Is MLSE looking to build a winner, or build their ticket sales? That will strongly influence any DP they bring in. I think the front office is blind to the fact that a winning team will be their biggest draw.

ManUtd4ever
07-30-2013, 10:08 AM
If there is any validity to the reported imminent acquisition of Elmer at LB, I sincerely hope he is worth an international slot and a transfer fee.

Areathrasher
07-30-2013, 10:12 AM
WTR picked it up from reports in the Swiss media.

If I recall correctly the got the Alvaro Rey news first in a similar fashion.

They must have google alerts set up in every language for "TFC" and "Toronto FC"

Haddy
07-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Juan Arango ‏@JuanG_Arango (https://twitter.com/JuanG_Arango)23m (https://twitter.com/JuanG_Arango/status/362224791698157569)
For my MLSers… Vicente Sánchez also arriving to the US. http://bit.ly/15tfQpc (http://t.co/srZE0hY2ai) (Ovación)

jloome
07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
If there is any validity to the reported imminent acquisition of Elmer at LB, I sincerely hope he is worth an international slot and a transfer fee.

A few players from the Paul Mariner school of Wiki scouting who might suit us right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvan_Ebanks-Blake - DP level striker - Out injured, maybe our Jan. DP?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Croft - Steady winger, nothing huge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_Troest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurizio_Lanzaro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michihiro_Yasuda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BAlio_Regufe_Alves - Youth prospect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Ib%C3%A1%C3%B1ez

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Ogunsoto - Has scored goals for fun in Crete and Greece. A flyer. Guys who score that consistency can often do it at higer levels (i.e. Camilo).

jloome
07-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Paul Mariner scouting report

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Elmer
http://youtu.be/BC1sRN8j55I

Guy looks like a bit of a washout. Have to wonder about this one.

ensco
07-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Klose is 100% focused on making the WC2014 squad. He's not doing a swan song until after that.

He can make it too. For all their star power, Germany actually have very few elite strikers. I think 9 of the top 10 scorers in the Bundesliga last year were non-German.

mowe
07-30-2013, 10:38 AM
We badly needed a left back, so in that sense I'm happy with the signing. No point judging before he actually plays some games though.

Now we just need a striker or two, an attacking mid, and maybe another winger and we're set!

brad
07-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Is MLSE looking to build a winner, or build their ticket sales? That will strongly influence any DP they bring in. I think the front office is blind to the fact that a winning team will be their biggest draw.

Why not both? Bringing in a big name DP that is quality can help on the field and with ticket sales.

Wolves_On_Tour
07-30-2013, 10:47 AM
A few players from the Paul Mariner school of Wiki scouting who might suit us right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvan_Ebanks-Blake - DP level striker - Out injured, maybe our Jan. DP?

S.E.B. scored 25 goals for us (Wolves) a couple years ago in the Championship. Guaranteed he would score in this league. I just don't know if he fits the bill of what KP and crew are looking for. Interesting to see his name pop up at all though.

Milanista
07-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Klose is 100% focused on making the WC2014 squad. He's not doing a swan song until after that.

He can make it too. For all their star power, Germany actually have very few elite strikers. I think 9 of the top 10 scorers in the Bundesliga last year were non-German.

I agree, was just making the poin tthat even though he is old he is still a beast

69Chevy396
07-30-2013, 11:02 AM
We badly needed a left back, so in that sense I'm happy with the signing. No point judging before he actually plays some games though.

Now we just need a striker or two, an attacking mid, and maybe another winger and we're set!

Great. The rotating door spins faster and faster and the team still sucks. The rest of the league keeps IMPROVING. Hence, TFC needs to not only replace parts that they have lost or dismantles, but replace them with better parts. Constantly chasing, like buying a Nortel stock. This team needs much more than a few new players, it needs an entire club built with players in the same, or higher calibre as Laba. He is a sound, perhaps excellent, MLS level midfielder. Most teams in MLS have stocked their roster with players as good, or better than him. How many players on the current roster would find a starting role with any of the playoff bound MLS teams in the league? Laba, maybe. Anybody else?

TFC07
07-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Swiss 2nd division? Really? Now we know TFC is desperate that we're looking for players playing worst leagues than MLS. Swiss 2nd Division is NASL quality.

Greatest Ripoff
07-30-2013, 11:22 AM

what? Former player of year in Denmark and played for a top club in the Netherlands and in european club competitons vs a player who couldn't catch in with lower league teams in Europe. I like Dero but to say he is better than Hutch is crazy.

shwade
07-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Swiss 2nd division? Really? Now we know TFC is desperate that we're looking for players playing worst leagues than MLS. Swiss 2nd Division is NASL quality.

Yeah, a bit disconcerting that we're looking at the Swiss second league, and paying a transfer fee on top.

TFC07
07-30-2013, 11:27 AM
what? Former player of year in Denmark and played for a top club in the Netherlands and in european club competitons vs a player who couldn't catch in with lower league teams in Europe. I like Dero but to say he is better than Hutch is crazy.

DeRo didn't fit in Europe and he didn't enjoy his time there (I believe DeRo face bit of racism during his time in Germany). Plus, Man City and Blackburn wanted to sign him, but he decided to stay home.

Hutch is best Canadian player right now, but he isn't coming to MLS until later in his 30's. He can make more money in Europe and play at better level than he would in MLS.

OgtheDim
07-30-2013, 11:28 AM
IF, and its still a rumour here, he is being looked at, I would expect KP and co are doing a better scouting job then a look at wikipedia, youtube, a talk with the Bermudian FA and a peek around a few other web sites.

Richard
07-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Isn't this the type of move we would have expected from Paul Mariner if he stuck around. He was scouting some Icelandic countries and near the area after all. Paying a fee? I hope this is bullshit. This better be a diamond in the rough type signing.

Areathrasher
07-30-2013, 11:30 AM

While the Swiss 2nd tier is more than likely of a lower standard than the MLS it is probably of a higher standard than the NASL given that promotion and relagation to/from the Swiss Super League is involved.

While I don't think this is a wise move (Intl spot and Transfer Fee) I'm willing to give the player a chance. Development time at Chelsea, played in the top Swiss league and has been capped by the U21 Swiss team would suggest an ability to play at the MLS level.

TFC07
07-30-2013, 11:33 AM
While the Swiss 2nd tier is more than likely of a lower standard than the MLS it is probably of a higher standard than the NASL given that promotion and relagation to/from the Swiss Super League is involved.

While I don't think this is a wise move (Intl spot and Transfer Fee) I'm willing to give the player a chance. Development time at Chelsea, played in the top Swiss league and has been capped by the U21 Swiss team would suggest an ability to play at the MLS level.

I hope you're right, but given our history, these sort of players either don't play well or have attitude issues. This signing better work or else there's going to be some serious backlash.

Areathrasher
07-30-2013, 11:36 AM
I hope you're right, but given our history, these sort of players either don't play well or have attitude issues. This signing better work or else there's going to be some serious backlash.

Oh yea, totally :yesnod:

I feel like I've been so down and negative about TFC and the Leafs this summer that I'm just going to hope this is a "diamond in the rough"

ag futbol
07-30-2013, 12:05 PM
DeRo didn't fit in Europe and he didn't enjoy his time there (I believe DeRo face bit of racism during his time in Germany). Plus, Man City and Blackburn wanted to sign him, but he decided to stay home.

Hutch is best Canadian player right now, but he isn't coming to MLS until later in his 30's. He can make more money in Europe and play at better level than he would in MLS.
Dero had work permit issues getting into England, which scuttled his move.

Hutchinson is too much money for MLS. There are only certain Positions DP slots work well for and he isn't usually in one of them. That aside, even 'the best' Canadian player ATM has limitations.

markie8002000
07-30-2013, 12:13 PM
John Molinaro reporting that Nelsen said that a new signing likely to be announced tomorrow and wouldn't comment who it was. Wouldn't confirm if was Elmer either so we'll see what happens....

SoccMan2
07-30-2013, 12:13 PM
So they have been trying to secure another player from Argentina since the start of the season ( Urruti) and there was someone else from what I remember, however, still no signing. Montreal just signed a new DP from Argentina and from their record so far don't even need anyone esle they are doing just fine with the players they have. TFC who once again are lousy as usual can't seem to sign anyone besides Laba of any pedigree, they just keep talking a good talk without anything to show for, while teams with great records manage to sign quality, TFC just keeps waiting and waiting. Different season same shit since 2007!

jpopick
07-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Well, this is confusing . . .

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1509893/roma-star-francesco-totti-turned-offer-move-mls?cc=5901

OgtheDim
07-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Simple : ESPN guy doesn't know who Di Vaio plays for.

MartinUtd
07-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Great. The rotating door spins faster and faster and the team still sucks. The rest of the league keeps IMPROVING. Hence, TFC needs to not only replace parts that they have lost or dismantles, but replace them with better parts. Constantly chasing, like buying a Nortel stock. This team needs much more than a few new players, it needs an entire club built with players in the same, or higher calibre as Laba. He is a sound, perhaps excellent, MLS level midfielder. Most teams in MLS have stocked their roster with players as good, or better than him. How many players on the current roster would find a starting role with any of the playoff bound MLS teams in the league? Laba, maybe. Anybody else?

Stop, just stop already. Your Nortel analogy is not apt and your constant shitting on every signing is beginning to bore me. Laba is a DP, he plays like a DP and if you haven't noticed he's playing beside a bunch of subpar guaranteed contracts from the last two regimes. No team in MLS has a starting XI full of Laba's or better, not Kansas, not Montreal, not LA, nobody. You bitch about the rotating door, but what do you expect in a salary capped league when our roster was in the state it was at the beginning of the season. This isn't FIFA 13, you don't get to hit the reset button when you don't like the hand you're dealt. Players were going to get dropped and we can't just go and sign a bunch of big names and hope to make the cuts afterwards. The SINGLE ENTITY LEAGUE doesn't work like that so either manage your expectations or find a new league to follow because it's clear you're not ready to handle the nuances of MLS roster management.

Derko
07-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Isn't this the type of move we would have expected from Paul Mariner if he stuck around. He was scouting some Icelandic countries and near the area after all. Paying a fee? I hope this is bullshit. This better be a diamond in the rough type signing.

Or what , I ask.

Iceland is a country, you mean Nordic Countries, Nothing wrong with Nordic Countries, Sweden and Denmark have featured in many a World Cup and Euro Cup, just saying.

Talent can come from the most unusal places. Oh I know, there will be the Country Pedigree Comments by the experts, but just saying!!

Derko
07-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Stop, just stop already. Your Nortel analogy is not apt and your constant shitting on every signing is beginning to bore me. Laba is a DP, he plays like a DP and if you haven't noticed he's playing beside a bunch of subpar guaranteed contracts from the last two regimes. No team in MLS has a starting XI full of Laba's or better, not Kansas, not Montreal, not LA, nobody. You bitch about the rotating door, but what do you expect in a salary capped league when our roster was in the state it was at the beginning of the season. This isn't FIFA 13, you don't get to hit the reset button when you don't like the hand you're dealt. Players were going to get dropped and we can't just go and sign a bunch of big names and hope to make the cuts afterwards. The SINGLE ENTITY LEAGUE doesn't work like that so either manage your expectations or find a new league to follow because it's clear you're not ready to handle the nuances of MLS roster management.

Very good comments, and agree, there are far too many FIFA 13 so called managers around, hell some of these folks really do believe they are International Scouts, Managers and Trainers. I wonder if they can fit through a door the heads have swollen so much,lol

barticusz
07-30-2013, 12:45 PM

Well said. The bitching and moaning is beyond irritating at this time. You're not happy with the team, your not happy by players leaving and you're not happy when new players sign.. What do you want exactly? Go watch the Argos.

Super
07-30-2013, 12:52 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)5m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/362267204504395776)
Nelsen on new player signing: "It looks like there could be something, maybe (on Wednesday). ... I’m holding my breath." #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)3m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/362268179050930176)
Nelsen on Elmer: That would be a good. I think he’s a pretty decent player. be good if a player like that comes in. But we’ll see. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Stress
07-30-2013, 01:03 PM
So sounds like Elmer it is. Not overly exciting but I think it addresses a need and a 1.5 year salary isn't too concerning. As mentioned above, if he works out, he could be part of this young core they are building for the future. Based on the little info posted above (and through links), I expect his quality to be close to that of Ecks but at a much more reasonable salary.

AlanO
07-30-2013, 01:09 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)5m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/362267204504395776)
Nelsen on new player signing: "It looks like there could be something, maybe (on Wednesday). ... I’m holding my breath." #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)3m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/362268179050930176)
Nelsen on Elmer: That would be a good. I think he’s a pretty decent player. be good if a player like that comes in. But we’ll see. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)
Nelsen made similar comments about Laba shortly before he was announced, and Nelsen usually refuses to comment on players under contract to other teams. This sounds like a done deal.

The WTR article says the teams for whom Elmer played the last two seasons had the best defensive records in the Swiss second division. Obviously this isn't something that can be credited entirely to one player, but no team will give up the fewest goals in any league with a weak fullback. Elmer might have potential to be a decent MLS left back. We'll see.

Ivy
07-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Say what you want about TFC, but this regime has not brought a single player in and signed him to a contract who did not produce... So there's not reason to believe Elmer wouldn't be good.

OgtheDim
07-30-2013, 01:20 PM
http://www.sport1.de/dynamic/datencenter/gfx/person/m/8949.jpg

Ladies....trust me...I'm Swiss.

T-boy
07-30-2013, 01:20 PM
I thought Mark Bloom was meant to be the new left back solution? He's since vanished!

Ivy
07-30-2013, 01:23 PM
I thought Mark Bloom was meant to be the new left back solution? He's since vanished!
I doubt he was meant to be any solution. Surely he was brought in as cheap depth to a depleted defense.

Thomas
07-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Your non stop negativity is getting a little worn out. Your comments about Laba, and that most MLS teams have stacked their teams with players as good or better is delusional.

PopePouri
07-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Say what you want about TFC, but this regime has not brought a single player in and signed him to a contract who did not produce... So there's not reason to believe Elmer wouldn't be good.

Certain players like Thomas are obviously depth signings to round out the roster but yes they haven't brought in a player on O'Dea or Eckersley cash. The most expensive is Caldwell who's rumoured to be around 225k and Convey who's around 200k. Both decent additions to the team based on their last couple of games.

Areathrasher
07-30-2013, 01:26 PM
I think it was more O'Dea and Morgan out. Bloom and someone else ( Elmer) in.

69Chevy396
07-30-2013, 01:27 PM
So by your reckoning, Mista is better than Dero too, and while we are at it, how about those other giants of world football, JDG, and Laurent Robert

miker
07-30-2013, 01:27 PM

Wasn't Bloom on loan? This sounds like a better option, although the price may be nervous-making.

Stress
07-30-2013, 01:28 PM
I doubt he was meant to be any solution. Surely he was brought in as cheap depth to a depleted defense.

He was only a loan. Perhaps they will keep him around with a view of unloading Morgan any chance they get or even just as CB depth. Am I wrong that we only have 3 CB's now?

69Chevy396
07-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Your non stop negativity is getting a little worn out. Your comments about Laba, and that most MLS teams have stacked their teams with players as good or better is delusional.
Really, which playoff bound MLS team would replace their starting central midfielder with Laba? Not negativity, reality. If you want unreality, believe that this team will win 11 more games this year just to make the playoffs.

69Chevy396
07-30-2013, 01:33 PM

Hey you, please no more negativity, some people here get annoyed, remember to be gentle with your criticisms, like sipping mild tea on a sunny afternoon.....:scarf:

jabbronies
07-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Certain players like Thomas are obviously depth signings to round out the roster but yes they haven't brought in a player on O'Dea or Eckersley cash. The most expensive is Caldwell who's rumoured to be around 225k and Convey who's around 200k. Both decent additions to the team based on their last couple of games.

I'm not that worried about these two salaries. Caldwell seems to have been a decent pickup, he's a vet who is still hungry and seems to have the head for the position so that pace isn't a huge factor. Hopfully he can train a replacement over the term of his contract.

Convey is a player we've needed for years. A MLS vet with the skills that seem to be successful in MLS. He's also a guy who can lead the midfield, even if from the wing.

OgtheDim
07-30-2013, 01:34 PM
If Elmer, or somebody equally experienced, can sit in position and not get caught out, that will make Henry's growth that much easier. Part of me wonders how much Henry has to run around because of Morgan's inability to hold the line.

PopePouri
07-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Really, which playoff bound MLS team would replace their starting central midfielder with Laba? Not negativity, reality. If you want unreality, believe that this team will win 11 more games this year just to make the playoffs.

Which other team plays with a old fashioned destroyer?

Ivy
07-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Can somebody add a section to this forum where all the unhappy, TFC hating, very thing they did/doing/planning to do unapproving people go to emo out? This way these threads can stay on topic...

Corpand
07-30-2013, 01:57 PM

Your reality exists in a completely different dimension. Imagine Chivas or Philly with him. You have to at least see the individual talent this kid has and what he brings to midfield stability (in possibly the worst MLS team this season). At the moment, he is our diamond in the trash.

And on Bloom, if you have seen him play in the reserves you will understand why no starts for him. Extremely new to the higher pace of the game. His decision-making is consistently slow, he needs to get used to the speed things happen on field.

Wince
07-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Hey you, please no more negativity, some people here get annoyed, remember to be gentle with your criticisms, like sipping mild tea on a sunny afternoon.....:scarf:

I didn't read that as negativity. I saw it as more of a defense of the rumoured signing, with a healthy dose of "wait and see", based on what this regime has been doing to manage the cap.

I could be wrong of course, but that's my $0.02.

ag futbol
07-30-2013, 02:07 PM
In my books quite a few. He major downfall is that he's playing for a crap team and a short track record in this league.

Outside of that, he's on track to build a really strong reputation here. Like in the realm of Alonzo, Charra, Espinoza...

Ultra & Proud
07-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Really, which playoff bound MLS team would replace their starting central midfielder with Laba?

I'd take Laba over Sturgis on Colorado, over Tchani off Columbus (probably not making playoffs though), over Carroll on Philly, over Jewsbury on Portland. There are enough if you look before spouting off complaints.

69Chevy396
07-30-2013, 02:20 PM
In my books quite a few. He major downfall is that he's playing for a crap team and a short track record in this league.

Outside of that, he's on track to build a really strong reputation here. Like in the realm of Alonzo, Charra, Espinoza...

I agree, and am sorry it came off so negative. I like Laba, but I just want to understand how we tend to ignore the obvious here, in Toronto, whenever we discuss our failed sports teams. Laba is good, but so many MLS teams are getting stronger every season while we celebrate the signing of Bostock on day, and the dumping of Bostock the next, Ephrain, and the list goes on. By dumping Silva this management either showed tremendous prudence, or are completely stupid. Given the history of TFC (the worst franchise in MLS history, yes, say it, it is true), it is hard to place much faith in anybody running this team until they have started playing well. This past week was good, but such a small start. It wasnt me who said "we are going to sign a star player, of internatinal stature"..or whatever, that wasy Payne and L. They said it. So until they produce, I am not willing to sit by and celebrate every signing...or near signing...this thread is about player moves, that includes moves out of the team, not just coming in. So far, more have moved out than have come in. so that is what we could be discussing, it is not off topic as some would suggest...but I suppose there are those who would turn this thread into a hero worship Leaf style forum where 45 years and counting is ignored whenever the team eeks out a win. Go Leafs Go.

JonO
07-30-2013, 02:25 PM
I don't remember too many people celebrating the signing of Bostock or Ephraim. And I don't see anybody celebrating the signing of Elmer. We need role players as well as the big splash guys to round out a team in the MLS. We don't know how much this guy is costing up. Heck, we don't know for certain yet we are signing him. We need a left back right now and this has potential to be a solid (if unspectacular) signing.

Wingback6
07-30-2013, 02:42 PM
If Elmer does come, that is bullshit. Morgan is no more error prone than Henry OR Eck's. Not by a long shot. I just think Nelsen has a hate on Ashtone for the fact that he get's forward as much as he does. FYI RN just cause you don't understand something, doesn't mean that's bad!

Every time Astone starts, it's like he hasn't missed a game, and that says something. This kind of selective blindness is the hallmark of poor coaching. That being said, competition for places isn't necessarily a bad thing, and depth is good too. But I just hope he isn't being brought in to replace Morgan, because the team has a better record with him at RB than it did with say... O'Dear!

Ben - D.O.W.
07-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Morgan is no more error prone than Henry OR Eck's. Not by a long shot.

Well if we want to talk about selective blindness...

I want Morgan to get back on track, but this season has not been great for him.

pekduck
07-30-2013, 02:52 PM
If Elmer does come, that is bullshit. Morgan is no more error prone than Henry OR Eck's. Not by a long shot. I just think Nelsen has a hate on Ashtone for the fact that he get's forward as much as he does. FYI RN just cause you don't understand something, doesn't mean that's bad!

Every time Astone starts, it's like he hasn't missed a game, and that says something. This kind of selective blindness is the hallmark of poor coaching. That being said, competition for places isn't necessarily a bad thing, and depth is good too. But I just hope he isn't being brought in to replace Morgan, because the team has a better record with him at RB than it did with say... O'Dear!

seriously? wow...

you are surely entitled to your opinions :)

Morgan is not effective this year compared to his previous season. His shortcoming were masked last season but exposed this season. His run up the field is great at times, however, he fails to cross in effective balls, or has bad first touches. Issue is that he can't defend well, and when he moves up, and loses possession with a bad pass/cross/dribble, he's leaving behind a large gap that puts Caldwell/Henry under pressure. When he decides to chase back, a split sec too late, he gets beaten easily. When he stays and defend, it's easy to draw him out of position for through ball or cut-over. (Oduro was doing it to him in the most recent match like how Arrieta is taking it to Henry).

On the other side, Ecks does as much forward runs if not more than Morgan, but he's more effective and doesn't lose possession as much. When he runs back to cover, he actually won more battles to regain possession or disrupt the opponents effectively.

I guess we see the same play and derive different interpretation. However, imposing your view (which I don't think many will agree) and saying RN doesn't understand it is, in my humble opinion, slightly ludicrous.

v00d00daddy
07-30-2013, 02:54 PM

I'm happy to wait and see with Elmer. LB has been a weak spot for us since Morgan's inconsistent play has started.

But to suggest that Payne has not brought in any flops is inaccurate if you ask me. I like the Caldwell and Laba signings. I think they've both helped our team greatly.

Other than that....flops. Earnshaw scored a couple gifts and a couple penalties (in fairness his finish on the gifts was great) and that was enough for Payne to give him a contract. Since then....he's been very disappointing. Shown himself to be very selfish and the clinical finish seems to have been misplaced. And now he's injured. I can only assume that injury was one of the fears that Payne had when he said he didn't want to bring in any over the hill epl cast offs?

Somebody mentioned Convey. While I appreciate that we need MLS vets, he's one expensive vet for what he brings to the table. He's a one footed (left) winger with limited vision and speed. Nelsen plays him on the off wing which I think is a mistake because it's no good putting a guy on the right wing if he can't push the ball upfield at ALL with his right foot. He also seems to think he should be taking the dead balls. I'm not a fan of his game overall, and especially not on 200k.

Then you have the temporary loans like Bostock and Ephraim which i see as neutral moves. Not good or bad because they cost so little in terms of roster spots and salary.

So for me, at the end of the day, the signings have been hit and miss. Which is totally understandable. It happens. I just don't agree that they've done nothing wrong.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
07-30-2013, 02:56 PM
^ I agree with VD (terrible abbreviation, but what can you do?)

^^ I respectfully disagree that Morgan (this season's version, at least) is no more error prone than Henry or Eks. I am a big Morgan fan, but -- while he seems to have been playing a bit better of late -- I think he's had a terrible season. I would be estatic if Morgan improved his game, but if we bring in someone better (and not terribly, or even moderatley, expensive) then so be it.

BTW, I think you meant LB not RB.

PopePouri
07-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Morgan has been shit this season. I can't name one good game or think of one decent cross.

jloome
07-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Somebody mentioned Convey. While I appreciate that we need MLS vets, he's one expensive vet for what he brings to the table. He's a one footed (left) winger with limited vision and speed.

Yeah, he looked really one-footed there when he crossed in the game winner with his right foot the other day. I'm not sure he's still got enough speed to be a starter but he has good vision, good technical ability and a decent right foot.

Ultra & Proud
07-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Morgan has been shit this season. I can't name one good game or think of one decent cross.
I will say one thing about Morgan, he has looked way better than Richter. Since he came in we've looked more stable on that side. That being said it isn't impossible to improve on Morgan and we should be looking at 2 decent options at each position anyway. Richter and Bloom aren't really that decent.

Ultra & Proud
07-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Yeah, he looked really one-footed there when he crossed in the game winner with his right foot the other day. I'm not sure he's still got enough speed to be a starter but he has good vision, good technical ability and a decent right foot.
Exactly and if we're now saying speed is so important in the midfield then losing Silva shouldn't have been a major loss as he isn't much faster than Convey and plays the game way more static than Convey does. And what I am saying isn't that Silva was shit because he isn't. What I am saying is that speed isn't everything if there is some technical ability and brains to cover. Soolsma was a great example of that in the past and now Convey is another and I think Convey has better movement than anyone else on our roster at this point.

Dave67
07-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Well I hope there are more signings because I still can't see where the goals are going to come from. We're not that far out to lunch on goals allowed this year, goals for has killed us. I don't think the back line was our highest priority.

burlington Red
07-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Funny thing is, you can sometimes get some value in the lower Euro leagues if you do the right scouting. Gael Clichy was snapped up by Arsenal from French 3rd division back in the day. Not for one min comparing the two, but wouldn't be too quick in writing anyone off based on what league they came from.

Ultra & Proud
07-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Funny thing is, you can sometimes get some value in the lower Euro leagues if you do the right scouting. Gael Clichy was snapped up by Arsenal from French 3rd division back in the day. Not for one min comparing the two, but wouldn't be too quick in writing anyone off based on what league they came from.
NY got Lindpere a few years back from absolute nowhere and he became pretty damn good. It can happen. Usually not for us but it can.

Benficachop20
07-30-2013, 03:20 PM
On the other side, Ecks does as much forward runs if not more than Morgan, but he's more effective and doesn't lose possession as much. When he runs back to cover, he actually won more battles to regain possession or disrupt the opponents effectively.

I guess we see the same play and derive different interpretation. However, imposing your view (which I don't think many will agree) and saying RN doesn't understand it is, in my humble opinion, slightly ludicrous.

LOL like u said, your entitled to your opinion, but i dont see y Morgan gets so much hate ( i admit he's not having that great of a season so far) but are completely blind to the play of Ecks. Better going forward? all he does is literally run straight and hope he gets by defenders. More effective? how many goals has he set up? 0? At least when Koevs was playing Morgan was setting up a crap load of his goals. Wins tackles? regains possession? the only thing Ecks does is foul players constantly. The difference between Ecks and Morgan is that we are paying a crap load more money for Ecks to suck.

Suds
07-30-2013, 03:21 PM
I will say one thing about Morgan, he has looked way better than Richter. Since he came in we've looked more stable on that side. That being said it isn't impossible to improve on Morgan and we should be looking at 2 decent options at each position anyway. Richter and Bloom aren't really that decent.

Fair comment. Even a fan of Morgan has to admit this has not been a great year for him. Could be just a blip to get over this year or it could be a stall in development. Either way, we need Morgan to up his game or bring in an upgrade in that position. It's not saying Morgan is crap, but it's a weak spot at the moment that needs to be addressed just like the many other weak spots we have.

I want Morgan to be a success as much as anyone but that's the difference between wants and needs.

khso11
07-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Anyone think that this Elmer deal is a swap for Frei?

Ivy
07-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Bringing in Ephraim and Bostock were not bad moves. Previous organizations would have signed these guys to 2 years crazy expensive contracts. Both those players were brought in when due diligence was not done, simply because Ryan and Kevin were not on board long enough to know what they were looking for. I salute them for cutting ties with a Spurs, and a QPR player in order to look for something different.
While Earnshaw hasn't been scoring, nobody else has. He also, was brought in on a loan pending his performance... He was signed until the end of the year because we have no strikers.
Like I said, there has not been a single bad LONG TERM signing that this regime made, and if they think Elmer is good enough to get 1.5 years, I'm all for it. All the Morgan fans can take off the beer goggles, as much as I want him to be a permanent starter, the kid looks out of place even in reserve games.

miker
07-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Anyone think that this Elmer deal is a swap for Frei?

Interesting thought. It would be great to see Frei play ... somewhere.

pekduck
07-30-2013, 03:35 PM
LOL like u said, your entitled to your opinion, but i dont see y Morgan gets so much hate ( i admit he's not having that great of a season so far) but are completely blind to the play of Ecks. Better going forward? all he does is literally run straight and hope he gets by defenders. More effective? how many goals has he set up? 0? At least when Koevs was playing Morgan was setting up a crap load of his goals. Wins tackles? regains possession? the only thing Ecks does is foul players constantly. The difference between Ecks and Morgan is that we are paying a crap load more money for Ecks to suck.

I have to agree that Ecks is overpaid =)

I also don't dispute Eck's shortcomings. I just find that given both Morgan and Ecks as fullbacks, Ecks is more effective over Morgan if neither can provide assists this season, but Ecks covers more defensively. Both tend to foul, with Ecks being more aggressive. Hey, when everything is the same, I'd take one less goal against.

My response was toward that comment "RN didn't like Morgan because Morgan runs forward, and RN didn't understand it", haha.

Marc"2L"
07-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Hmm, All-Star game is tomorrow.

Are we just signing one guy from a Swiss 2nd tier club and burying,
or big splash with league pomp and stuff.

Tomorrow!

dantdot
07-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Hmm, All-Star game is tomorrow.

Are we just signing one guy from a Swiss 2nd tier club and burying,
or big splash with league pomp and stuff.

Tomorrow!

Announcing one of our DPs at the All Star game? I'd put that in the when pigs fly column.

v00d00daddy
07-30-2013, 04:42 PM

When he put that ball in with his right foot I literally jumped up. I think it was the first time all game I saw him use his right foot to put out a purposeful ball. I mentioned it in the game thread. There is no decent right foot there.

Do you think he's worth 200k a year?

Morlesio14
07-30-2013, 04:43 PM
i had a nightmare last night that laba left tfc and went to brazil because he hated blacks.

Morlesio14
07-30-2013, 04:44 PM
When he put that ball in with his right foot I literally jumped up. I think it was the first time all game I saw him use his right foot to put out a purposeful ball. I mentioned it in the game thread. There is no decent right foot there.

Do you think he's worth 200k a year?

not worth 200k but i like convey. id like him here for another 2-3 years. he's pretty good

v00d00daddy
07-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Exactly and if we're now saying speed is so important in the midfield then losing Silva shouldn't have been a major loss as he isn't much faster than Convey and plays the game way more static than Convey does. And what I am saying isn't that Silva was shit because he isn't. What I am saying is that speed isn't everything if there is some technical ability and brains to cover. Soolsma was a great example of that in the past and now Convey is another and I think Convey has better movement than anyone else on our roster at this point.

Silva was not a winger. A winger needs speed more than an internal midfielder. Unless you're Soolsma of course. LOL

It was odd how he was able to beat guys down the sideline over and over. Haven't seen that from Convey. I'm not a huge fan of his game but I really begin to lose patience with him when Nelsen plays him on the right wing. Last game when Oduro was exploiting Morgan there was nobody to help him. Would have preferred Convey on the left wing to help Morgan a little more.

Whoop
07-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Soolsma was the strangest player ever in the history of TFC.

Slow as molasses yet a) he consistently beat guys wide and b) but in a decent cross.

Ultra & Proud
07-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Silva was not a winger. A winger needs speed more than an internal midfielder. Unless you're Soolsma of course. LOL

It was odd how he was able to beat guys down the sideline over and over. Haven't seen that from Convey.
Because Convey usually tries to cut inside perhaps because he's smart enough to realize that heaving crosses into the box is leading us nowhere because most of our attackers don't make runs in and challenge for balls.

ginkster88
07-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Soolsma was very good at dummying to get past his marker. He also had a quick first step. Every ensuing one was plodding, to be sure, but he had just enough skill to put a defending off-balance and take advantage.

v00d00daddy
07-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Bringing in Ephraim and Bostock were not bad moves. Previous organizations would have signed these guys to 2 years crazy expensive contracts. Both those players were brought in when due diligence was not done, simply because Ryan and Kevin were not on board long enough to know what they were looking for. I salute them for cutting ties with a Spurs, and a QPR player in order to look for something different.
While Earnshaw hasn't been scoring, nobody else has. He also, was brought in on a loan pending his performance... He was signed until the end of the year because we have no strikers.
Like I said, there has not been a single bad LONG TERM signing that this regime made, and if they think Elmer is good enough to get 1.5 years, I'm all for it. All the Morgan fans can take off the beer goggles, as much as I want him to be a permanent starter, the kid looks out of place even in reserve games.

LOL. What long term deals have they made then?

Laba and........

If that's your criteria then yes....they've made no bad long term deals. They've made a total of one long term deal prior to the guy playing for us. Laba.

v00d00daddy
07-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Because Convey usually tries to cut inside perhaps because he's smart enough to realize that heaving crosses into the box is leading us nowhere because most of our attackers don't make runs in and challenge for balls.

He doesn't try to cut inside when he's playing on the left wing. He does heave balls in for crosses....IF he can muster the space, which he doesn't do often.

nonc
07-30-2013, 05:15 PM

Maybe you missed the part where, minutes before his assist, he also drove that spear into the path of Brockie who layed it off for Osorio's goal. The corner put on a tee for Caldwell, etc. He tracks back and disrupts opposition transition, generally with Laba is the most involved and professionally fit player for TFC.

Totally agree about Earnshaw though.

Ivy
07-30-2013, 05:28 PM
LOL. What long term deals have they made then?

Laba and........

If that's your criteria then yes....they've made no bad long term deals. They've made a total of one long term deal prior to the guy playing for us. Laba.
Laba, Caldwell, Osorio, Bekker, Welshman. Still don't know much about Rey, and haven't seen enough of Convey

v00d00daddy
07-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Maybe you missed the part where, minutes before his assist, he also drove that spear into the path of Brockie who layed it off for Osorio's goal. The corner put on a tee for Caldwell, etc. He tracks back and disrupts opposition transition, generally with Laba is the most involved and professionally fit player for TFC.

Totally agree about Earnshaw though.

He did. It was a nice ball in to Brockie who laid it off nicely too. It was on his left foot. So was the corner. I agree about his tracking back and disrupting things too. That's why I wished he was on the left side to help Morgan. At least there he can use the left sideline to his advantage. Playing him on the right wing limits him to HAVE to cut in to the middle. It's not a bad play but it become predictable. I don't hate the guy. I'm just not a huge fan of his game.

v00d00daddy
07-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Laba, Caldwell, Osorio, Bekker, Welshman. Still don't know much about Rey, and haven't seen enough of Convey

Earnshaw was brought in on loan....wasn't Caldwell as well? It's not like they signed Caldwell long term before he played. It was the same situation.

Osorio is an Academy product (kind of).

Bekker is a draft choice and rarely plays. How do you know he's a good choice, despite him not being a signing?

Welshman doesn't play. How are you unsure of Convey (who plays) but sure that Welshman is a good signing?

nonc
07-30-2013, 06:12 PM

Haha. Hutchinson targeted by a perennial top 10 team in the EPL and you are criticizing this because of course that means "he's not that good". In what world? He's already accomplished more in his club career than Dero (never held teams hostage for money either) and frequently out-performed him at international level. It's painful watching someone so good play for Canada. Dero was rarely involved enough to think that. Scored some nice PKs? ..

So by your reckoning, Mista is better than Dero too, and while we are at it, how about those other giants of world football, JDG, and Laurent Robert

You are pulling at straws trying to twist this person's response into something extremely flattering of Dero, but the poignant thing is despite struggling in MLS near the end, all were just as good or better than Dero at the height of their careers. Although it's not even worth comparing to begin with.

Really, which playoff bound MLS team would replace their starting central midfielder with Laba?

7 or 8 of 10 easily, including NYRB, Impact.

Sorry, I didn't have time to really go through your recent lengthy masturbatory, acrid ramblings.

ag futbol
07-30-2013, 06:25 PM
I agree, and am sorry it came off so negative. I like Laba, but I just want to understand how we tend to ignore the obvious here, in Toronto, whenever we discuss our failed sports teams. Laba is good, but so many MLS teams are getting stronger every season while we celebrate the signing of Bostock on day, and the dumping of Bostock the next, Ephrain, and the list goes on. By dumping Silva this management either showed tremendous prudence, or are completely stupid. Given the history of TFC (the worst franchise in MLS history, yes, say it, it is true), it is hard to place much faith in anybody running this team until they have started playing well. This past week was good, but such a small start. It wasnt me who said "we are going to sign a star player, of internatinal stature"..or whatever, that wasy Payne and L. They said it. So until they produce, I am not willing to sit by and celebrate every signing...or near signing...this thread is about player moves, that includes moves out of the team, not just coming in. So far, more have moved out than have come in. so that is what we could be discussing, it is not off topic as some would suggest...but I suppose there are those who would turn this thread into a hero worship Leaf style forum where 45 years and counting is ignored whenever the team eeks out a win. Go Leafs Go.
I see what you are saying. Personally, I have only been so-so on the signings so far. Don't think we have enough of a track record to say if they are doing a good job or not.

Inevitably a few guys will come in and not work out, but what will determine success from failure will be how high the hit rate is.

OgtheDim
07-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Convey was playing on the left when Rey came in. When they switched out their LB, he and Rey switched back. Convey was beating that sub, who is usually a starter, for the rest of the game - that impressed me as I thought Convey would be dead tired. Still not sure he is worth the salary but that was his best game.

notthesun
07-30-2013, 06:45 PM
I'd say Payne deserves credit for signing Osorio. He's only an academy product in that he trained with us enough days to qualify. Payne still had to make the decision to sign him at the start of this year having only seen him in training and pre-season, which he did, so credit to him on that move.

In no possible universe can anyone, at this moment, say Bekker or Welshman are good signings/picks.

Convey is a good trade in my eyes. We needed immediate help on the wings and he provides it. He was never going to be a world beater and everyone knew it, hence only a 3rd round pick going SKC's way. Still has enough quality to have a positive impact in games (see The Columbus Comeback) and more often then not doesn't hurt us like having Lambe start does.

rocktml
07-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Lucas Melano apparently in Toronto. Can someone confirm?

ag futbol
07-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Seems unlikely

http://www.clublanus.com/futbol/profesional/noticia/id/5480

dantdot
07-30-2013, 07:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Areathrasher
07-30-2013, 07:29 PM
He had already signed for Lanus

OgtheDim
07-30-2013, 08:02 PM
So he's just here for Carabana then?

Yohan
07-30-2013, 09:03 PM
FYI, Montreal found Felipe from Swiss 2nd div... so you never know what you're going to get

gate7
07-30-2013, 09:12 PM

was he a BMO "signing something"? :skep:

PopePouri
07-30-2013, 09:20 PM
was he a BMO "signing something"? :skep:

Someone should head down there to make sure.

Ultra & Proud
07-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Someone should head down there to make sure.
Putting on my rollerblades. :smilewinkgrin:

Corpand
07-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Putting on my rollerblades. :smilewinkgrin:

Classic.

69Chevy396
07-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Haha. Hutchinson targeted by a perennial top 10 team in the EPL and you are criticizing this because of course that means "he's not that good". In what world? He's already accomplished more in his club career than Dero (never held teams hostage for money either) and frequently out-performed him at international level. It's painful watching someone so good play for Canada. Dero was rarely involved enough to think that. Scored some nice PKs? ..

You are pulling at straws trying to twist this person's response into something extremely flattering of Dero, but the poignant thing is despite struggling in MLS near the end, all were just as good or better than Dero at the height of their careers. Although it's not even worth comparing to begin with.

7 or 8 of 10 easily, including NYRB, Impact.

Sorry, I didn't have time to really go through your recent lengthy masturbatory, acrid ramblings.
Dero was the best player to have ever played for this woeful club, and i bet when he was signed you and the legion of pretend supporters that now deride him, could barely contain your shit at the time. Forget the illusion of Hutchinson, Dero was the real thing and genuine supporters of this miserable team know this. Now I am trying to figure out why I am wasting my time.

jazzy
07-30-2013, 10:22 PM

and ecks is overpaid , an import AND can't cross.......Morgan being local we should be to be patient,....there is a bigger picture.........but then To fans have been pretty hard on their own, sad.

Mr. Bigby
07-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Dero was the best player to have ever played for this woeful club, and i bet when he was signed you and the legion of pretend supporters that now deride him, could barely contain your shit at the time. Forget the illusion of Hutchinson, Dero was the real thing and genuine supporters of this miserable team know this. Now I am trying to figure out why I am wasting my time.

This seems to be getting away from a general discussion and wandering towards one of those lovely flame wars that we so often suffered through in previous years. Can I respectfully suggest that everyone take a deep breath, slowly back away from the keyboard, and think happy thoughts for the balance of the evening before starting afresh tomorrow?

jazzy
07-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Ryan suggests someone is signing tomorrow?...thats my deep breath....:)

19Barrett19
07-30-2013, 10:49 PM
I for one am excited about tomorrow ... another player to sign I'm cool with that. This management team has the balls to wait and make good moves . Just my opinion don't freak out! Go tfc!!!

mowe
07-30-2013, 11:02 PM
I have a feeling it's going to be a DP!

BuSaPuNk
07-30-2013, 11:07 PM
I have a feeling were going to be disappointed with another depth signing

gate7
07-30-2013, 11:31 PM
iether way this page will be sizzling by the afternoon. ..

jabbronies
07-31-2013, 06:56 AM
and ecks is overpaid , an import AND can't cross.......Morgan being local we should be to be patient,....there is a bigger picture.........but then To fans have been pretty hard on their own, sad.

Morgan is another Marvel Wynne - great speed, not so great skill.

West220Side
07-31-2013, 07:26 AM
Directed towards the guy(s) bashing Richard Eckersley,

He's a natural rightback, willing to play leftback/centreback for the club and do whatever it takes on the backline to battle the full 90 minutes a match. Were you at the last match? Our little monsoon? Did you see Eckersley go down, Caldwell motion for him to be changed, and Eckersley refused for what could only be the reason that he wanted to push for the win? He swapped to leftback that very match to accommodate Lambe playing rightback.

I'm all for Canadian talent but c'mon now you're going to compare Eckersley to Morgan? I'm not even a Manchester United fan but he was brought up through THEIR academy and if i'm correct won a few youth tournaments with them. Morgan? Yeah, he came up through the TFC Academy.

If you want to argue that Eckersley can't cross, gets caught out of position, and is weak on the right side. I'll refuse to agree, and point out the only reason Morgan MAY have been having success down the left last year was Koevermans natural finishing ability while Eckersley played centreback a fair amount. Also was he not Red Patch Boy man of the year? The mans a warrior. You're comparing a young canadian boy learning the game to a developed player in Eckersley.

Just because he's overpaid doesn't mean he's a rubbish player.

Wolves_On_Tour
07-31-2013, 07:34 AM

He's a natural rightback, willing to play leftback/centreback for the club and do whatever it takes on the backline to battle the full 90 minutes a match. Were you at the last match? Our little monsoon? Did you see Eckersley go down, Caldwell motion for him to be changed, and Eckersley refused for what could only be the reason that he wanted to push for the win? He swapped to leftback that very match to accommodate Lambe playing rightback.

I'm all for Canadian talent but c'mon now you're going to compare Eckersley to Morgan? I'm not even a Manchester United fan but he was brought up through THEIR academy and if i'm correct won a few youth tournaments with them. Morgan? Yeah, he came up through the TFC Academy.

If you want to argue that Eckersley can't cross, gets caught out of position, and is weak on the right side. I'll refuse to agree, and point out the only reason Morgan MAY have been having success down the left last year was Koevermans natural finishing ability while Eckersley played centreback a fair amount. Also was he not Red Patch Boy man of the year? The mans a warrior. You're comparing a young canadian boy learning the game to a developed player in Eckersley.

:iagree:
...SLOW CLAP....

Phil
07-31-2013, 07:37 AM
This seems to be getting away from a general discussion and wandering towards one of those lovely flame wars that we so often suffered through in previous years. Can I respectfully suggest that everyone take a deep breath, slowly back away from the keyboard, and think happy thoughts for the balance of the evening before starting afresh tomorrow?

Puts on MOD hat....THIS^^^^^

Please, lets not get into a flame war, it started to boil up yesterday and everyone got thier punches in. Lets all take a moment to calm before chasing all this further.

Takes MOD hat off.

Haddy
07-31-2013, 07:38 AM

Can anyone confirm if Kevin Payne is in KC today? That would be my assumption. Good chance to chat with other GMs, etc.

Stress
07-31-2013, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't get too excited. Pretty sure the imminent signing is Elmer based on Nelly's interview yesterday. I think it sounds like a good signing but definitely not a flashy DP or anything.

Areathrasher
07-31-2013, 07:50 AM
Can anyone confirm if Kevin Payne is in KC today? That would be my assumption. Good chance to chat with other GMs, etc.

Have the rollerbladers made it to KC yet?

ProfessorDamage
07-31-2013, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't get too excited. Pretty sure the imminent signing is Elmer based on Nelly's interview yesterday. I think it sounds like a good signing but definitely not a flashy DP or anything.

Couldn't agree more. This won't be "The One," just either a) some middling Euro player who we have to give DP status to bring over anyway, or b) some depth bencher (Rey is NOT great, if you've watched him play in Spain).

"But how do you know this, oh wise Professor?" Well, namely, teams including ours tend to make a "Club to make major announcement today" hype ahead of big signings, and as far as I know, there's not even been a media advisory issued today.

Wince
07-31-2013, 08:31 AM

Having an announcement on the same day as the MLS All-Star game looks suspicious, and would add evidence to your feeling... however, it's easy to read too much into it. Probably a coincidence.

Wait and see I suppose.

OgtheDim
07-31-2013, 08:35 AM
No way they announce a DP on the same day as the All-Star game. Lieweke is going to maximise the marketing on any DP, both local and internationally. Shirt sales don't ya know.

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Rey is NOT great, if you've watched him play in Spain
Maybe not but Felipe wasn't great playing for Winterthur or Lugano of the Swiss league. Lindpere didn't exactly tear up Norway either. MLS is a weird thing. You can take a player who should tear up the league and they don't or you can score some scrub from an obscure Euro league or second division and they can become very useful. You never know until the player gets some minutes over here.

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2013, 08:50 AM
No way they announce a DP on the same day as the All-Star game. Lieweke is going to maximise the marketing on any DP, both local and internationally. Shirt sales don't ya know.
Agree totally but it would be a good business move to follow up a 'big' event like this with a big announcement of our own especially since we're a week away from the poorly selling Roma match.

Red Skies At Night
07-31-2013, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=ProfessorDamage;1605211]Couldn't agree more. This won't be "The One," just either a) some middling Euro player who we have to give DP status to bring over anyway, or b) some depth bencher (Rey is NOT great, if you've watched him play in Spain).QUOTE]

a) no way this happens. Payne has stated this is not a route he will be taking. Sounds like you're just being cynical (7 years of losing can do that).
b) we need good depth, so that would be no problem for me. And no one said Rey was great. This is MLS. We don't do "great" players, we do "ok", "good" and "very good".

But I agree there's no major announcement today for the very reason you articulated at the end.

wzhxvy
07-31-2013, 09:05 AM
I have to say, if it is anyone other than the Swiss defender today, I will be impressed with how tight lipped TFC has become.

69Chevy396
07-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Maybe not but Felipe wasn't great playing for Winterthur or Lugano of the Swiss league. Lindpere didn't exactly tear up Norway either. MLS is a weird thing. You can take a player who should tear up the league and they don't or you can score some scrub from an obscure Euro league or second division and they can become very useful. You never know until the player gets some minutes over here.

I agree with you. The fact that roughly half of the US national mens team is made up of MLS players is further indication that MLS may not be a great league, but it has a sound, if not great, home grown (mostly US) contingent.

Walms
07-31-2013, 09:25 AM
I have a feeling were going to be disappointed with another depth signing Pretty much what I'm expecting

OgtheDim
07-31-2013, 09:27 AM
If we are going to discuss why some people make it an others don't, look at issues a player coming here has to deal with

The Travel, on schedule only flights, across thousands of miles

the changing weather, including heat and humidity, rain and cold

the general lack of technical ability and understanding by players (i.e. they will not be where you expect them to be)

how a player reacts to his teammates being not up to what he is used to

the off field enticements of the relative abundance of stuff compared to most of the world,

the ability of any family to settle

All these variables make any transfer from outside of North America to MLS an unknown. Which is why due diligence on both the capabilities and the mental aspect of a player is necessary to success. And even then, its not a given.

I would say this. Every family man we have had says the same thing - Toronto is a GREAT place to raise your kids. Health care and a good education system.

And most young guys love the night life here. As has been stated before, its really only the American kids who have been sheltered and never been outside their comfort zone much who have had an issue playing in Toronto.

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2013, 09:38 AM
If we are going to discuss why some people make it an others don't, look at issues a player coming here has to deal with

The Travel, on schedule only flights, across thousands of miles

the changing weather, including heat and humidity, rain and cold

the general lack of technical ability and understanding by players (i.e. they will not be where you expect them to be)

how a player reacts to his teammates being not up to what he is used to

the off field enticements of the relative abundance of stuff compared to most of the world,

the ability of any family to settle.

Perhaps this is why, and I know it's not generally met with any applause around here, that journey men players seem to work out in this league. They've traveled and seen it all already.

Derko
07-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Announcing one of our DPs at the All Star game? I'd put that in the when pigs fly column.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/pink-floyd-pig-getty.jpg

ProfessorDamage
07-31-2013, 10:11 AM

I'd say that's definitely a fair comment. I'm more excited than not that Rey is here, and definitely wish him the best since he's now wearing our badge.

jloome
07-31-2013, 10:17 AM
I'd say that's definitely a fair comment. I'm more excited than not that Rey is here, and definitely wish him the best since he's now wearing our badge.

People have made the point before that even pros like Mourinho and Harry Redknapp have admitted using Football Manager (the former CM) for scouting; Joel Lindpere was rated highly on that game for years and no one took a sniff. Funny how things work out.

Kingvikingstad
07-31-2013, 10:27 AM

There is a simple question to be had. Do you believe that Mariner and co. did a good job or a poor job? How badly do you think they did? If you are in unison with everyone else (and you should be), they clearly did a horrific job. They signed players that shouldn't have been signed, they signed them for too much and too long.

This brings me to my point. If that's where you're coming from, why do you expect to be good so soon? Where is that coming from? I get the whole 6 years, blah blah blah. I've been a fan that's watched almost every game and been to more than I can remember (and thank god for that considering how they played for most of them). With that said, you have to afford people some patience to do their job. If the guy who did your job before you put you in a 2 year hole and you were expected to dig out in a year, would that be fair? Of course it wouldn't. Give them time. They are new management and still clearing the dead weight. What did you expect to happen this year? This isn't fantasy football where you can buy new players every week.

Personally, I can see the direction and I like it. Payne has shown a willingness to get rid of people that albeit friendly and important, needed to go to due to salary cap strangleholds. He has signed Laba who has been excellent, Convey has been decent. Slowly I have confidence he will continue doing the right things. If after a couple years he hasn't turned it around and we are seeing the same poor signings, same poor results, same poor running of the team then by all means have a go. At this point, it's nothing but whining for the sake of whining.

69Chevy396
07-31-2013, 10:52 AM
There is a simple question to be had. Do you believe that Mariner and co. did a good job or a poor job? How badly do you think they did? If you are in unison with everyone else (and you should be), they clearly did a horrific job. They signed players that shouldn't have been signed, they signed them for too much and too long.

This brings me to my point. If that's where you're coming from, why do you expect to be good so soon? Where is that coming from? I get the whole 6 years, blah blah blah. I've been a fan that's watched almost every game and been to more than I can remember (and thank god for that considering how they played for most of them). With that said, you have to afford people some patience to do their job. If the guy who did your job before you put you in a 2 year hole and you were expected to dig out in a year, would that be fair? Of course it wouldn't. Give them time. They are new management and still clearing the dead weight. What did you expect to happen this year? This isn't fantasy football where you can buy new players every week.

Personally, I can see the direction and I like it. Payne has shown a willingness to get rid of people that albeit friendly and important, needed to go to due to salary cap strangleholds. He has signed Laba who has been excellent, Convey has been decent. Slowly I have confidence he will continue doing the right things. If after a couple years he hasn't turned it around and we are seeing the same poor signings, same poor results, same poor running of the team then by all means have a go. At this point, it's nothing but whining for the sake of whining.
The mods were correct in reminding us (me) that this is off topic, so all I can say by way of response is: save this post and perhaps we can return to this issue in a year or two, to see just how far things have gone with the team. If is too early to criticise, I accept that, but it is too early to prepare a parade...so I will stop "whinning", particularly if they start "winning".

Marc"2L"
07-31-2013, 10:55 AM
If nothing happens today, does Nelly have some 'splainin to do? Or can he just say "well I did say I was holding my breath?"

barticusz
07-31-2013, 11:07 AM
What "splainin" does he need to do exactly? Of course he hopes they can sign someone every day, but it's never a guarantee.

Haddy
07-31-2013, 11:11 AM
If nothing happens today, does Nelly have some 'splainin to do? Or can he just say "well I did say I was holding my breath?"

Last week he said he expected something in a few days. So I'd take his announcement predictions with a grain of salt.

v00d00daddy
07-31-2013, 11:15 AM
I don't understand why Nelsen and Payne can't just say: "We're working on adding to the squad. We know it's important. I can't comment on exactly when things will happen but rest assured, we're working on adding. Sit tight."

All of this "next week/coming days/best player in MLS" without living up to it gets old. Just tell the media to be patient and leave it at that.

pdogg
07-31-2013, 11:30 AM
Just tell the media to be patient and leave it at that.

The media is never patient - for better or worse. Their bosses need stories and they need quotes.

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2013, 11:37 AM
The media is never patient - for better or worse. Their bosses need stories and they need quotes.
Exactly and us supporters aren't either. If he said the line about not commenting on when things will happen then everyone would automatically assume than we have nothing in the works and the 'working on improving the squad' line was just BS to sell more tickets.

Detroit_TFC
07-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Transfer window is all about shenanigans. Impossible to parse out what is legit and what is bs and what is just assumption.

Canary10
07-31-2013, 12:03 PM
TFC have a long running habit of panicking then paying way too much money for a somewhat known player. I hope we've learned our lesson and don't panic buy this time around. Hence, the more unknown the next signing is, the more proof this management is finally on the right track.

Ultra & Proud
07-31-2013, 12:16 PM
TFC have a long running habit of panicking then paying way too much money for a somewhat known player. I hope we've learned our lesson and don't panic buy this time around. Hence, the more unknown the next signing is, the more proof this management is finally on the right track.
This is true. Before we would have snagged some aging, pointless player (like Heskey) and talked him up from his past resume or else scoured these boards and read the praise heaped upon Edwini-Bonsu and overpaid him by $100K to make the supporters happy with a Canuck. The longer this takes and the less we hear the better I think.

Marc"2L"
07-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Last week he said he expected something in a few days. So I'd take his announcement predictions with a grain of salt.

hmm, Rey?

Kingvikingstad
07-31-2013, 12:44 PM
The mods were correct in reminding us (me) that this is off topic, so all I can say by way of response is: save this post and perhaps we can return to this issue in a year or two, to see just how far things have gone with the team. If is too early to criticise, I accept that, but it is too early to prepare a parade...so I will stop "whinning", particularly if they start "winning".

My apologies. I just noticed it now as I didn't get that far. A discussion for another day.

Haddy
07-31-2013, 12:47 PM
hmm, Rey?

:facepalm:

DOMIN8R
07-31-2013, 12:53 PM
I have it on some authority that Jonas Elmer may have been in town yesterday.

Note my lack of conviction these days. Too many times burned on rumours and visions. Even my own.g:D

Marc"2L"
07-31-2013, 12:56 PM
:facepalm:

Is there anything factually wrong about that?

The idea is simple.

If Payne says anything , it's a smoke show.
If Nelly says something, there's a chance.

Nelly said he's hoping tomorrow.
Pretty specific, no?

Nelly and Co said something was coming down and Rey did, after a while, but a name was added.

OgtheDim
07-31-2013, 01:02 PM
I have it on some authority that Jonas Elmer may have been in town yesterday.

http://www.sport1.de/dynamic/datencenter/gfx/person/m/8949.jpg

Yes, as a matter of fact, I was that man behind you in Loblaw's buying cheese to go with that Reisling I bought at the LCBO. And, indeed it was a wonderful night, thank you very much.

Trust me....I'm Swiss.

barticusz
07-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Everyone breath in and out... no relax. It'll happen when it does.

tfcleeds
07-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Last time I've truly been surprised by a move was the Frings/Koevs announcement. Seems like anything the club do these days we know well in advance.

tfc2008
07-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Reports are suggesting that Toronto FC have agreed to a one and a half year deal for Swiss left-back Jonas Elmer. Elmer currently plays for FC Winterthur of the Swiss second division and his club would likely require a transfer fee to complete the deal.
Toronto FC (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/mls/teams/toronto-fc) fans are all hoping for some new faces to come in and help boost the attack but the rumour mill has dried up in recent days since that whole mess that surrounded the club's alleged pursuit of Diego Forlan (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/fifa/players/164127/diego-forlan). This summer transfer window has seen some talented players leave the club with only Alvaro Rey and Mark Bloom being brought in. It is not exactly the kind of business to inspire a lot of confidence among fans considering all the big talk from the club.
Now it seems that the club are on the trail of another role player level signing as they are reportedly on the verge of signing Swiss left-back Jonas Elmer. Elmer currently plays for FC Winterthur in the Swiss Challenge League which is the country's second division.
Prior to joining Winterthur he had a good run in the Swiss Super League having made his debut as a teenager. He first established himself with FC Aarau, a club often around the relegation zone, having joined the club after spending time in Chelsea's development system. When Aarau were finally relegated down to the second tier Elmer took the chance to sign a three year contract with one of the country's top clubs as he joined FC Sion.
At Sion he struggled to lock down a place in the first team as the club underachieved for his first two seasons. That led to him spending 2012 out on loan to AC Bellinzona in the second division. He joined the recently relegated club for the second half of the season and became a regular in their squad helping them to claim the best defensive record in the division.
Following the end of the 2011-2012 season his contract with FC Sion came to an end and he moved on to FC Winterthur. In his first season with the club they narrowly missed on on the promotion playoffs to the top division, doing so on the back of one of the division's best defensive records once again.
The new Swiss Challenge League season is now underway and despite Winterthur getting off to a slow start with just one win from their first three matches Elmer has played every minute of league play. It continues his impressive streak for the club where he has started every match since his arrival in Winterthur going the full 90 in all but one match. Now it appears that they are set to sell one of their key players with Elmer looking to play outside of Switzerland for the first time in his professional career.
Der Landbote are reporting (http://www.landbote.ch/detail/article/elmer-vor-abgang-nach-toronto/gnews/99241811/) that Elmer has agreed to a deal that would bring him to MLS to join Toronto FC with the only thing missing being the official confirmation. Their report suggests that the player will come in on a one and a half year deal and that Toronto will pay some form of transfer fee for his services since he is still under contract with Winterthur.
If this signing does take place it would be bad news for Ashtone Morgan (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/mls/players/130307/ashtone-morgan) who was just starting to work his way back into the starting lineup as Elmer would almost certainly wind up starting ahead of him. Despite spending the past few seasons in the Swiss second division Elmer would likely prove to be an upgrade for TFC at the left-back position which is something the club has been in need of considering Morgan's struggles.
Landing a player like Jonas Elmer would be another move that could prove to be a nice depth addition and help to establish that solid core group of players. With Elmer being 25-years-old he would have the chance to contribute for a number of years should things work out well for him in Toronto. It is the kind of addition that clubs need to make but the problem is that it does not really live up to the hype that was offered by the management team.
There don't seem to be any other sources reporting the deal so it will be interesting to see if it does get completed in the coming days. On paper it does seem like it could be a solid addition at a position where the club could use some solidity.

Walms
07-31-2013, 01:27 PM
^ Cut and Paste from "wakingthered"

Red I
07-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Reports are suggesting that Toronto FC have agreed to a one and a half year deal for Swiss left-back Jonas Elmer. Elmer currently plays for FC Winterthur of the Swiss second division and his club would likely require a transfer fee to complete the deal.
Toronto FC (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/mls/teams/toronto-fc) fans are all hoping for some new faces to come in and help boost the attack but the rumour mill has dried up in recent days since that whole mess that surrounded the club's alleged pursuit of Diego Forlan (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/fifa/players/164127/diego-forlan). This summer transfer window has seen some talented players leave the club with only Alvaro Rey and Mark Bloom being brought in. It is not exactly the kind of business to inspire a lot of confidence among fans considering all the big talk from the club.
Now it seems that the club are on the trail of another role player level signing as they are reportedly on the verge of signing Swiss left-back Jonas Elmer. Elmer currently plays for FC Winterthur in the Swiss Challenge League which is the country's second division.
Prior to joining Winterthur he had a good run in the Swiss Super League having made his debut as a teenager. He first established himself with FC Aarau, a club often around the relegation zone, having joined the club after spending time in Chelsea's development system. When Aarau were finally relegated down to the second tier Elmer took the chance to sign a three year contract with one of the country's top clubs as he joined FC Sion.
At Sion he struggled to lock down a place in the first team as the club underachieved for his first two seasons. That led to him spending 2012 out on loan to AC Bellinzona in the second division. He joined the recently relegated club for the second half of the season and became a regular in their squad helping them to claim the best defensive record in the division.
Following the end of the 2011-2012 season his contract with FC Sion came to an end and he moved on to FC Winterthur. In his first season with the club they narrowly missed on on the promotion playoffs to the top division, doing so on the back of one of the division's best defensive records once again.
The new Swiss Challenge League season is now underway and despite Winterthur getting off to a slow start with just one win from their first three matches Elmer has played every minute of league play. It continues his impressive streak for the club where he has started every match since his arrival in Winterthur going the full 90 in all but one match. Now it appears that they are set to sell one of their key players with Elmer looking to play outside of Switzerland for the first time in his professional career.
Der Landbote are reporting (http://www.landbote.ch/detail/article/elmer-vor-abgang-nach-toronto/gnews/99241811/) that Elmer has agreed to a deal that would bring him to MLS to join Toronto FC with the only thing missing being the official confirmation. Their report suggests that the player will come in on a one and a half year deal and that Toronto will pay some form of transfer fee for his services since he is still under contract with Winterthur.
If this signing does take place it would be bad news for Ashtone Morgan (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/mls/players/130307/ashtone-morgan) who was just starting to work his way back into the starting lineup as Elmer would almost certainly wind up starting ahead of him. Despite spending the past few seasons in the Swiss second division Elmer would likely prove to be an upgrade for TFC at the left-back position which is something the club has been in need of considering Morgan's struggles.
Landing a player like Jonas Elmer would be another move that could prove to be a nice depth addition and help to establish that solid core group of players. With Elmer being 25-years-old he would have the chance to contribute for a number of years should things work out well for him in Toronto. It is the kind of addition that clubs need to make but the problem is that it does not really live up to the hype that was offered by the management team.
There don't seem to be any other sources reporting the deal so it will be interesting to see if it does get completed in the coming days. On paper it does seem like it could be a solid addition at a position where the club could use some solidity.

Thanks... coulda just linked it though
http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/7/30/4570852/jonas-elmer-transfer-toronto-fc-switzerland-fc-winterthur-left-back

Haddy
07-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Is there anything factually wrong about that?

The idea is simple.

If Payne says anything , it's a smoke show.
If Nelly says something, there's a chance.

Nelly said he's hoping tomorrow.
Pretty specific, no?

Nelly and Co said something was coming down and Rey did, after a while, but a name was added.

Oh I get it.

My facepalm was me admitting how ridiculously stupid my earlier statement was.

Gilberto9
07-31-2013, 01:47 PM

And Payne took the right approach to give the players a chance to play MLS football before signing them to contracts. That's just how the MLS is.

Richard
07-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Or what , I ask.

Iceland is a country, you mean Nordic Countries, Nothing wrong with Nordic Countries, Sweden and Denmark have featured in many a World Cup and Euro Cup, just saying.

Talent can come from the most unusal places. Oh I know, there will be the Country Pedigree Comments by the experts, but just saying!!

My concern is that we waste an international spot on a backup, if there is a fee required to get him he better be a starter. I have no doubt talent can come from the places you mention, naturally I'm hesitant because of the past 7 years of crap.

Red I
07-31-2013, 03:25 PM
My concern is that we waste an international spot on a backup, if there is a fee required to get him he better be a starter. I have no doubt talent can come from the places you mention, naturally I'm hesitant because of the past 7 years of crap.

Transfermarkt lists his contract expired June 30th. Might be a free

notthesun
07-31-2013, 03:54 PM
So help me god if another TFC official teases yet another signing that never comes to fruition. Just decline to comment if the media is that insistent, ffs. Getting tired of waking up on supposed "signing days" only for nothing at all to be announced.

Dave67
07-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Agents to deal with, players to deal with, their own paperwork to deal with, the league to deal with.. it's not surprising they can't nail down a specific day. I'd just rather get a text saying 'Toronto FC has has signed ....' than get too wound up in the gossip of who may or may not be coming. This thread is more for entertainment purposes than anything else, hence the inclusion of the word 'speculation'.

Marc"2L"
07-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Totti plays one half for Roma, puts on an MLS All star kit as a special selection from The Don, announced as representing the East for TFC.

Announced by the Don at half time. Right after talking about how much money Chivas will have to shell out for being what they have become.

This is that fun speculation people talk about, it's a race to the absurd!

markie8002000
07-31-2013, 06:05 PM
Someone on twitter google translated an article that was posted earlier in the day on Elmer and here it is. http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.landbote.ch%2Fdetail%2Farticle% 2Felmers-abschied-suche-beginnt%2Fgnews%2F99241905%2F&act=url

19Barrett19
07-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Totti would be the slowest player in mls no thanks

Derko
07-31-2013, 06:12 PM

We all feel that. I know the frustration also.

Cheers

Detroit_TFC
07-31-2013, 06:14 PM
Colorado released Kevin Harbottle. Might be a cheap pickup.

Yohan
07-31-2013, 06:20 PM
Colorado released Kevin Harbottle. Might be a cheap pickup.
injury prone plus int spot. pass.

Marc"2L"
07-31-2013, 06:35 PM
My guess, everything got done today, but the league won't put the stamp till tomorrow or told TFC they have to wait. Tonight is about the best, not the building.

69Chevy396
07-31-2013, 06:58 PM
If he can play for Roma he can play for any MLS club.

[NBF]
07-31-2013, 07:33 PM
AS Roma, has the same usual names but nothing glaring. Totti and DeRossi.

Bradley, will be in the lineup.

There's a reasonable chance that MLS All-Stars can win this by a couple goals difference.

69Chevy396
07-31-2013, 07:56 PM
;1605339']AS Roma, has the same usual names but nothing glaring. Totti and DeRossi.

Bradley, will be in the lineup.

There's a reasonable chance that MLS All-Stars can win this by a couple goals difference.
These games are never about winning. Nobody wants to get injured in a meaningless contest. I will be watching, and cheering for Roma, a club I have been supporting for decades.

jazzy
07-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Morgan is another Marvel Wynne - great speed, not so great skill.

true in many ways, but he's not as costly and there were many here who wanted to keep Wynne,....he has his role, and at a cost.

Red CB Toronto
07-31-2013, 08:45 PM
Anyone going to check out the Roma training session next Tuesday night at BMO Field?

jazzy
07-31-2013, 08:56 PM

maybe still keep him only at half his cost, Ecks is caught out of position constantly, and doesn't cross . His pass? the last game should have been a simple timed cross/pass but he's always so wound up he overpowers everything, and blasted it past the forward,.....one has to slow down and use ones head to step up a level... good or bad he's simply on overdrive always and that with a smart opposition can be used against you. And lets not mention his temper. Everyone here is always all over Henry for that yet Ecks is allowed to blow anytime. he's not rubbish, don't know where you get that. And just because RPB's voted him MVP......No idea why. We tend to love passion. regardless. And lets not regard the United connection, thats long gone.......If TFCis full of Ecks how does that help Canadian soccer?? There is a future need for Canadian players to succeed. PS never a bashing?..Ironically....It is response to the Morgan stream of hate. Like Dero locals love to jump all over their own instead of supporting them. Now that is fook'd...

trane
07-31-2013, 10:33 PM

Hahahahaha. No thanks to Totti, from a Barrett fan. hahahahaha.

Wince
08-01-2013, 06:29 AM

Good thing he's got a job in Serie A since he's too slow for MLS, otherwise he'd have nothing. LOL

zamperina
08-01-2013, 07:14 AM

Ya Totti is over the Hill...BAWAHAHA!

He just proved in a PRESEASON EXHIBITION GAME that he's as good or better than anyone in MLS.

Nuvinho
08-01-2013, 07:16 AM
TFC always sign players on a thursday...the swiss is coming today.

Pint
08-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Probably right... This was posted on twitter last night

@callitfootball: Jonas Elmer says his goodbyes, expects to fly to Toronto, der Landbote reports http://t.co/DEX3wCif0y

Oldtimer
08-01-2013, 07:38 AM

it will take a while before people forget this statement. :)

brad
08-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Issue with signing a guy like Totti is not his quality today (he still is quality), it's how long of a contract he would want. I suspect he'd not come year to year, and you run a real risk that in the 2nd or 3rd year he breaks down/drops off and you have your DP money & slot sunk into him. That's what happened with Frings.

bones
08-01-2013, 08:22 AM
I feel like the principal in Ferris Bueller's day off.

So, anyone at TFC like to announce something?

anyone
anyone

Bueller
Bueller

Milanista
08-01-2013, 08:48 AM
it will take a while before people forget this statement. :)

Lol you gotta love idiots who don't watch Serie A and make comments like that eh? Totti in MLS would destroy the league as long as he has a striker that can score goals. Totti's passing abilities are simply insane and he doesn't need speed to play. Speed isn't everything in football look at the Italian team, not built on speed and arguably top 3-5 team in the world. I would take being techinically gifted over speed any day of the week. But Totti will retire in Roma, he won't come to MLS. I don;t think TFC will sign that big player this yr

Milanista
08-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Ya Totti is over the Hill...BAWAHAHA!

He just proved in a PRESEASON EXHIBITION GAME that he's as good or better than anyone in MLS.

Totti would be the best player by far in MLS, lets be serious. I hate Roma and never been a Totti fan, but his passing is simply unreal. TFC need to go after less "fast" players who simply only run and go for more technically gifted ones

MartinUtd
08-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Totti would tear this league apart

19Barrett19
08-01-2013, 09:03 AM
It not far from the truth he would be the slowest but I didn't say the worst ... learn to read ;)

trane
08-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Bringing totti to TFC would be a waist, he needs players to play with, or his passess and vision will be wasted. Even if you played him as a CF, which he can do, he may end up being isolated. If you bring someone like TOtti in you need to be prepared to bring in another 2 DPs, to play with him. For me it would be a CF for him to pass the ball too, and/or to create space for totti, and a CDM to anchor/organize the team, and to get the ball up to Totti.

trane
08-01-2013, 09:04 AM
It not far from the truth he would be the slowest but I didn't say the worst ... learn to read ;)
You said that you did not want him because he is the slowest. We all got it.

19Barrett19
08-01-2013, 09:06 AM
You said that you did not want him because he is the slowest. We all got it.

No st at tfc for totti to pass to he would also never run to press like tfc does move on now son

Oldtimer
08-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Lol you gotta love idiots who don't watch Serie A and make comments like that eh? Totti in MLS would destroy the league as long as he has a striker that can score goals. Totti's passing abilities are simply insane and he doesn't need speed to play. Speed isn't everything in football look at the Italian team, not built on speed and arguably top 3-5 team in the world. I would take being techinically gifted over speed any day of the week. But Totti will retire in Roma, he won't come to MLS. I don;t think TFC will sign that big player this yr

[mod mode] No need to call people names (in fact, it's against the board rules). Use my post as an example... I'm joking a little at his expense but not in an unkind manner. [/mod mode] I think it's obvious he doesn't really know Totti, or how good Italian clubs are at keeping aging players fit enough to play, well beyond what their age in Wikipedia would indicate. However, we shouldn't be to hard on him, probably most of us have stuck our foot in our mouths at one point or another. I know I have. :)

C.Ronaldo
08-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Dichio was slower than molasses and he made it. I remember sitting in second row and KNOWING I could have gotten to a ball in midfield before he could.

And seriously, why the jump to insult someone?

If you didnt know anything about portuguese soccer OR culture, should I insult you or should I enlighten you?

We are all friends here cheering for the same team, we should have nothing but respect for eachother.

Oldtimer
08-01-2013, 09:15 AM

Typical internet defensive move... tell the other person he didn't read your post correctly. It's obvious that you were saying he would be no good against MLS opposition. Just man up, admit you were wrong, and move on. :D

19Barrett19
08-01-2013, 09:18 AM
I don't care still think totti would be to slow and would not fit with tfc mtl can have him. Lets move on

19Barrett19
08-01-2013, 09:20 AM
I'll admit when I'm wrong but not this time. I kniw what I wrote and what I thought no totti please

OgtheDim
08-01-2013, 09:22 AM
So....are there any reports of a fondue being delivered to BMO? We have to know whether to unleash the rollerblade brigade to discover the truth.