PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

69Chevy396
07-07-2013, 09:01 PM
I am sure football historians will one day speak of Brockie inthe same light they will of DelPiero.

Ivy
07-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I am sure football historians will one day speak of Brockie inthe same light they will of DelPiero.
Lmao Is everyone drunk today???

CanuckPete
07-07-2013, 09:36 PM
It's Forlan! (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/struggling-toronto-fc-to-snap-up-uruguayan-soccer-star-diego-forlan/article13059185/)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/struggling-toronto-fc-to-snap-up-uruguayan-soccer-star-diego-forlan/article13059185/

Greatest Ripoff
07-07-2013, 09:44 PM

No, but we are talking about Del Piero of 2013 who was outscored by Brockie in the last A League season. We are not talking about Del Piero at his prime.

Also, there are more Chinese and Indians in Toronto than Italians so should TFC sign Climax Lawrence and Wang Xiaolong to put bums in seats?

69Chevy396
07-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Lmao Is everyone drunk today???
Thats what I was thinking. How could you compare these two players? If a player of Del Piero's calibre (forlan) came here the fans would too. Nobody shows up just to watch Brockie, Laba, Earnshaw, and that in part explains the many empty seats and generally silent stadium. This is sports entertainment, and with the exception of a few players, TFC is a tedius boring team. They have their moments, it is not all bad, but in the world of soccer, they are almost unwatchable when compared to so many other teams and leagues. That is why I admire Montreal. They are not champions yet, they don't always win, but they are vastly more entertaining, much like we were when we had Dero, Guevera and others.

Stouffville_RPB
07-07-2013, 09:48 PM
No, but we are talking about Del Piero of 2013 who was outscored by Brockie in the last A League season. We are not talking about Del Piero at his prime.

Also, there are more Chinese and Indians in Toronto than Italians so should TFC sign Climax Lawrence and Wang Xiaolong to put bums in seats?

You'd sell TONNES of jerseys if those 2 signed

Pint
07-07-2013, 09:55 PM
It's Forlan! (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/struggling-toronto-fc-to-snap-up-uruguayan-soccer-star-diego-forlan/article13059185/)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/struggling-toronto-fc-to-snap-up-uruguayan-soccer-star-diego-forlan/article13059185/

wow never thought this would actually come true. I hope he plays as an AM in a 4-1-3-2 system, he should be able to distribute the ball very well and get his fair share of chances.

Nodoubtguy
07-07-2013, 09:56 PM
If he comes. I'm gonna call FO and ask them to renew my seats for the exact length of his contract.

I'm kinda freaking out!

Greatest Ripoff
07-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Thats what I was thinking.

So in 2013 you think Del Peiro is a more useful footballer than Jeremy Brockie.

69Chevy396
07-07-2013, 09:57 PM
It wouldnt hurt. If Del Piero or Forlan played here Brockie and many others would line up for lessons on how to play ths game with some flare and style.

69Chevy396
07-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Just read the report on Forlan. Unbelievable!

Ivy
07-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Thats what I was thinking. How could you compare these two players? If a player of Del Piero's calibre (forlan) came here the fans would too. Nobody shows up just to watch Brockie, Laba, Earnshaw, and that in part explains the many empty seats and generally silent stadium. This is sports entertainment, and with the exception of a few players, TFC is a tedius boring team. They have their moments, it is not all bad, but in the world of soccer, they are almost unwatchable when compared to so many other teams and leagues. That is why I admire Montreal. They are not champions yet, they don't always win, but they are vastly more entertaining, much like we were when we had Dero, Guevera and others.
That is just not true.
You don't need world wide famous players to fill in seats. You need a winning team.
If that article is correct and Forlan will be official Monday or Tuesday, do you expect BMO to be a sell out for his entire term? Give me a break... If Forlan or anyone else doesn't produce, the face will only be interesting for a short while, then he just becomes another player.

ManUtd4ever
07-07-2013, 10:05 PM

Holy crap. It's really happening?

Ivy
07-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Why does this shit break out at 11pm on a Sunday??? I wish I saw it at 7am, it would be muchhhh easier to wake up.

Pint
07-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Why does this shit break out at 11pm on a Sunday??? I wish I saw it at 7am, it would be muchhhh easier to wake up.

Tomorrow will be the real confirmation I hope... does anyone know if the person who wrote the article is reputable?

ag futbol
07-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Thought this was interesting.... from the article:

Given the injury-blighted TFC careers of former 30-something designated players Torsten Frings, Eric Hassli, Danny Koevermans – who is still with the club – the BMO Field faithful can be forgiven for rolling their eyes at the arrival of another player of advancing years. Forlan isn’t immune to serious injury – he tore his hamstring two years ago with Inter – but unlike the aforementioned trio, he takes his conditioning seriously, as is plain to see any time he scores a goal.

Wonder if that's just an off-the-cuff remark or the opinion of someone in our front office.

BuSaPuNk
07-07-2013, 10:13 PM
^ Globe sports is pretty reliable. The writing on this was on the wall I wouldn't be surprised if it happens tomarrow. Probably Tuesday though. TFC need to send out there special anouncement tweets and e-mails

Corpand
07-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Amazing news if true. Best player we have had on the team by far (sorry Torsten). Available for selection too!
This season should get veeeeery interesting...

ManUtd4ever
07-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Amazing news if true. Best player we have had on the team by far (sorry Torsten). Available for selection too!
This season should get veeeeery interesting...
Agreed, and he will also fill the most glaring need in the lineup.

ensco
07-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Great signing for MLS. Terrible signing for TFC.

mowe
07-07-2013, 10:36 PM

Agreed on the first. But it won't be as bad for TFC. We can still use him.

Ivy
07-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Why?

ensco
07-07-2013, 10:40 PM
^Odds of this working out are not high. He is a finishing piece for a contender. He won't be able to handle the losing, in a minor league.

I wonder what Payne and Nelsen really think of this. This raises the pressure on them prematurely. Expectations are always to win now when the suits do this stuff, regardless of what they say.

ag futbol
07-07-2013, 10:44 PM
I wonder what Payne and Nelsen really think of this.
Wondering about Nelsen....

If we're going to make a Galaxitives type of roster, is a green head coach the guy you place in charge of it?

ensco
07-07-2013, 10:46 PM
^That's another point.

Here's yet another: TFC just implemented its 11th new plan in 7 years.

Plan 11: we are Qatar with snow. The place where aging Euros pointlessly go, for their last score.

Richard
07-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Well I'm sure Maximiliano Nicolás Urruti isn't going to turn down an offer from TFC now, a great player to learn from. We still desperately need two wingers though, I don't think we are that far off.

Ivy
07-07-2013, 10:55 PM
I feel like it was either Furlan or Urruti, not both. Urruti chose Pumas, Furlan got signed.
Do young DP slots count against regular DP slots, just with a lower cap hit? And whatever happened to the "4th DP" program that was suppose to be introduced?
Koef Laba and Forlan leave no space for Urruti, unless he doesn't take a DP spot, which I doubt - considering all the interest.

BuSaPuNk
07-07-2013, 10:58 PM
^ that is the 4th DP I believe it will be two young DPs in Laba and Urutti and Two regulars DPs in Koevs and Forlan

Richard
07-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Pretty sure Koevs isn't getting resigned next year unless for less than 300K. It will leave one more DP slot open next year.

Ivy
07-07-2013, 11:03 PM
I don't think Koef is getting resigned, period. 300k or not...

Corpand
07-07-2013, 11:08 PM
^That's another point.

Here's yet another: TFC just implemented its 11th new plan in 7 years.

Plan 11: we are Qatar with snow. The place where aging Euros pointlessly go, for their last score.

True, but this does raise fantastic fanfare around the world. For us too. Not to mention the league.
A higher South American viewership is what MLS has been going for the past two years. They timed this news quite well, Monday news rush.

How sure are we of Urruti signing??

Greatest Ripoff
07-07-2013, 11:18 PM
He is a finishing piece for a contender.

This is how I feel. Hopefully Toronto is still able to find younger talent to build around.

notthesun
07-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Just once I'd like for us to sign a player without anyone declaring it a failure before the guy even plays a game.

Greatest Ripoff
07-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Just once I'd like for us to sign a player without anyone declaring it a failure before the guy even plays a game.

One thing you can't deny is that amount of exposure he is getting team just based on this one report. We'll see if it translate to more people at BMO.

reggie
07-08-2013, 12:49 AM
jeezzz...people will complain about anything on this site.good for mls bad for tfc...wtf is that..if true,the guy can still play.btw henry is 35,im sure we would of liked to sign him...

reggie
07-08-2013, 12:52 AM
^Odds of this working out are not high. He is a finishing piece for a contender. He won't be able to handle the losing, in a minor league.

I wonder what Payne and Nelsen really think of this. This raises the pressure on them prematurely. Expectations are always to win now when the suits do this stuff, regardless of what they say.

who shit in yr cornflakes.....seven yrs of crap,i jus want to win the odd game and be entertained.

Marc"2L"
07-08-2013, 02:49 AM
Lol the guy is 34... Not 68

yeah but after you've scored a few, you know?

khso11
07-08-2013, 03:02 AM
Diego Forlan? i can't believe this, another amado guevara night :flare:

ensco
07-08-2013, 06:58 AM

He is a nice player. Will undoubtedly produce some nice goals.

What do you think the odds are he gets hurt or demoralized, and is just collecting cheques? It's not like it's been a hundred years since the Frings/Koevs signings.

I deliberately put this in the overall thread, not the Forlan thread. I said I liked the Forlan signing for a contender.

But I'm more interested in the long-term success of the team. Which imho this does nothing for. These signings are highly prone to producing locker room friction, if the new player isn't coming into a room with a strong positive culture. Which this one isn't.

We are once again trying to use money as a shortcut and invent a way out. Good teams sign great internationals for $200-300K that become the bedrock of their team. TFC under Payne/Nelsen have signed only two of these so far, Laba and Caldwell, and really, the jury is still out on them. This is 1-2 years too early.

Leedsoronto
07-08-2013, 07:04 AM

Great signing, just think if we had him from day one, all them 1-1 last min goal games may have been 2-1 wins and we be top 5 at least.

I see big a improvement in the way TFC play this year, minus that stupid 6-0 piece of shite, and a quality player may be the shot in the arm the team needs to do better.

Bring it on !!!!

BuSaPuNk
07-08-2013, 07:14 AM
But I'm more interested in the long-term success of the team. Which imho this does nothing for. These signings are highly prone to producing locker room friction, if the new player isn't coming into a room with a strong positive culture. Which this one isn't.

I feel the same way about this signing. However I do think it will help in the long term success of this club. It will give others playing in South America the idea of playing at TFC. If Forlan likes being here he will talk to other Uruguayan players and others in the region. This gives us exposure in the region that were trying to pry players from. I think that is the big advantage of this signing.

He will be an impact player no doubt but I agree with you probably an over the top piece for a contending team. However atleast we get to see a great International player week in and week out in red.

ensco
07-08-2013, 07:24 AM
^I think Laba is more important than Forlan in terms of "lighting the path" for other South Americans. The Laba signing is the future. Not more Forlan signings.

To the extent I have an issue, it's with respect to the opportunity cost, ie the unknown $4M/year DP that we could have had, but won't get, that might have seriously accelerated the turnaround timetable.

reggie
07-08-2013, 07:40 AM
I think its more important that we start winning the odd home game.like maybe one game...good on MLSE to spend the bucks.

ManUtd4ever
07-08-2013, 07:48 AM
At the moment, TFC has no one on the first team or in the system that is remotely capable of providing Forlan's level of creativity in the offensive third of the pitch, so it's not as if he will be stunting anyone's development. I think his presence can only benefit the club moving forward.

brad
07-08-2013, 07:48 AM
One thing you can't deny is that amount of exposure he is getting team just based on this one report. We'll see if it translate to more people at BMO.

In the short term I think it will. In the long term, its up to the team to be competitive and entertain. People won't show up week in, week out to watch us in our current state just to see Forlan.

BuSaPuNk
07-08-2013, 07:49 AM
^I think Laba is more important than Forlan in terms of "lighting the path" for other South Americans. The Laba signing is the future. Not more Forlan signings.

To the extent I have an issue, it's with respect to the opportunity cost, ie the unknown $4M/year DP that we could have had, but won't get, that might have seriously accelerated the turnaround timetable.

The future for us and future signings yes. But i still think having a big name from that area will raise the overall profile of the league and us for the better in terms of signing young players

ensco
07-08-2013, 07:54 AM
At the moment, TFC has no one on the first team or in the system that is remotely capable of providing Forlan's level of creativity in the offensive third of the pitch, so it's not as if he will be stunting anyone's development. I think his presence can only benefit the club moving forward.

I agree that Forlan is a huge upgrade, but that doesn't mean there isn't risk in doing this, in other ways

If the team doesn't turn it around, Nelsen (and maybe Payne) will be under immense pressure. Soon. Too soon now.

ManUtd4ever
07-08-2013, 08:06 AM
I agree with this. But this doesn't mean there isn't massive risk to the status quo now, in other ways

If the team doesn't turn it around, Nelsen will be under immense pressure. Soon. Too soon now.

In the past, I would agree with the notion that there would be an immediate expectation to turn things around in the aftermath of a high profile acquisition like Forlan.

However, after the sobering start to yet another rebuilding season, I think for the most part, fans are simply going to be excited at the prospect of watching a prolific world class player ply his trade in Toronto while he still has some gas left in the tank. In the interim, hopefully the team can actually win the odd game at BMO Field and entertain the fans while Payne continues to implement a long term plan.

I honestly don't think that any level headed fans are expecting TFC to instantly become a contender, so the pressure on Nelsen should merely be for the team to improve in the second half. Let's just enjoy this for what it is.

I'm actually excited about attending the next home game for the first time in a long while.

Couchy81
07-08-2013, 08:09 AM
In the short term I think it will. In the long term, its up to the team to be competitive and entertain. People won't show up week in, week out to watch us in our current state just to see Forlan.

The 2500+ Uruguayans and their extended families will definitely add bums to seats. This is their National Hero joining the team of the city they call home.

19Barrett19
07-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Just heard on the fan 590 tfc is expected to announce forlan signing in the middle of the week . I guess it could be happening.

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2013, 08:33 AM
I agree that Forlan is a huge upgrade, but that doesn't mean there isn't risk in doing this, in other ways

If the team doesn't turn it around, Nelsen (and maybe Payne) will be under immense pressure. Soon. Too soon now.

A person would have to be pretty damn stupid to expect a massive turnaround with signing of one DP player. We've had enough of them to show that. Most people now will appreciate growth and improvement (like winning at home for example) and look forward to next season when the team is more like it should be. Also, I am no fan of Forlan and I didn't want us to take him but that being said, if he walks in and scores a few and our offense actually works a bit then he will prove his worth going forward. Our chances of getting good, affordable players would be greatly improved if say, we go on a run and end the season with 30 something points rather than the mid twenties we are on pace for and a finish in the absolute basement of the league. Plus having a MF with young guys like Osorio, Bekker, and Silva in place can only get better from watching and learning from a guy with Forlan's experience and his dedication to conditioning.

Canary10
07-08-2013, 08:37 AM
He is a nice player. Will undoubtedly produce some nice goals.

What do you think the odds are he gets hurt or demoralized, and is just collecting cheques? It's not like it's been a hundred years since the Frings/Koevs signings.

I deliberately put this in the overall thread, not the Forlan thread. I said I liked the Forlan signing for a contender.

We are once again trying to use money as a shortcut and invent a way out. Good teams sign great internationals for $200-300K that become the bedrock of their team. TFC under Payne/Nelsen have signed only two of these so far, Laba and Caldwell, and really, the jury is still out on them. This is 1-2 years too early.

Well put. That's my fear exactly. This club has looked at DP signings as a silver bullet and they've never worked out that way. I'm cautiously optimistic, but.....

Canary10
07-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Just heard on the fan 590 tfc is expected to announce forlan signing in the middle of the week . I guess it could be happening.

Guess it's not Kaka, eh?

19Barrett19
07-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Guess it's not Kaka, eh?
Guess not I was wrong on that one ... or a little to drunk ;)

Red I
07-08-2013, 08:54 AM

Absolutely, there is an abundance of risk... but i think the type of player that Forlan is, there are some positives that can't be overlooked.

One of the biggest concerns about playing in this league is the travel. Players from Overseas and South America take a while to acclimatise (i think i spelled that wrong?) to the travel over long distances. Forlan has been playing for his national team for over a decade, and what's more is that he always is one of the best contributors. It can't be ignored that TFC will pose similar expectations on a DP - travel far distances, and play with a team that hasn't practiced together for an extended period of time. Since the 2010 World Cup, this guy has been one of the better international team players out there. If he can translate his international succes to this league, he should be incredible - he ain't bad with his club teams either. You can take his time at Man U as a bit of an outlier...

the risk is great, but there are positives; not only reputational ones, but actual soccer positives as well (in addition to the negatives). While there may be more on the cons side than the pros side of this equation, i still think it can't be denied this makes the team better at the end of the day. I also believe the front office cannot simply lean back in the chair and think this makes them instant MLS cup contenders... still lots of work to do, and i expect them to put in that work.

Waggy
07-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Finally, some potential for optimism. About freaking time.

BuSaPuNk
07-08-2013, 09:09 AM
@alexfan590: This report out of Brazil says that Forlan's current club have NOT been approached by TFC. http://t.co/cHBaYkYAv3

MartinUtd
07-08-2013, 09:15 AM
If it is Forlan, that's great news. Sure this signing might be for just 1.5-3 years, but how serious does TFC look as a club that has signed a player for Forlan's stature? This will open doors that were previously left shut and if Forlan retires here or at worst is a bust, our next marquee signing might not seem so far out of left field.

OgtheDim
07-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Repercussions if this happens (I'll believe it when I see him hold up the shirt)

Laba - somebody to pass to...finally - he will have to step up a bit as teams concentrate on Forlan, might find a bit more space when that happens
Osorio - should flourish until we find a couple of real wingers
Hall - to the bench, sub if we are up
Silva - not as many starting minutes for sure...super sub and likely 4th forward
Becker - sub winger if he's lucky
Brockie - probably gone
Convey - before today I see him getting increasingly frustrated, as much with himself as anything; will probably do better until we get an upgrade
Koevs & Earnie - well this should be at least fun to watch
Welshman - badly in need of a farm team
O'Dea - hopefully never takes another close free kick

OgtheDim
07-08-2013, 09:19 AM
@alexfan590: This report out of Brazil says that Forlan's current club have NOT been approached by TFC. http://t.co/cHBaYkYAv3

Pretty standard talk prior to a transfer.

brad
07-08-2013, 09:21 AM
TFC + Forlan makes me think of TFC + DeRo (not comparing DeRo to Forlan on a quality basis though). Both are/where pretty bad TFC teams with a player who is an offensive threat that can win some games. Won't make us a contender, but should be good to pick up a few points here and there.

Richard
07-08-2013, 09:27 AM
This makes sense to compete for next year, we still need the following:

LB
LW/RW
3 strikers since it looks like non of Koevs, Brockie or Earnshaw is comming back.

billyfly
07-08-2013, 09:46 AM
I have it on good authority that the paperwork and jersey are being done up "as we speak".

Greg
07-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Hmm...

Diego Forlán has just denied the move to Toronto FC. I just received notification from Inter's press dept.

https://twitter.com/JuanG_Arango/status/354249926710018048

mcolvy
07-08-2013, 09:55 AM
WE DO NOT NEED A BIG NAME. WE ARE A SOCCER ENJOYING CITY. WE WANT A WINNER, NOT A FAMOUS PLAYER!!!!!!

We brought in Frings who is just as big..... omfg SKC has no international stud, they created their own. What are we doing....

billyfly
07-08-2013, 09:57 AM
What can I tell you. Until you see the guy up there, it is always possible it doesn't happen. People within the club say its happening but....

Richard
07-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Would your source happen to be Cochrane lol.

billyfly
07-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Lol..nah

Phil
07-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Repercussions if this happens (I'll believe it when I see him hold up the shirt)

Laba - somebody to pass to...finally - he will have to step up a bit as teams concentrate on Forlan, might find a bit more space when that happens
Osorio - should flourish until we find a couple of real wingers
Hall - to the bench, sub if we are up
Silva - not as many starting minutes for sure...super sub and likely 4th forward
Becker - sub winger if he's lucky
Brockie - probably gone
Convey - before today I see him getting increasingly frustrated, as much with himself as anything; will probably do better until we get an upgrade
Koevs & Earnie - well this should be at least fun to watch
Welshman - badly in need of a farm team
O'Dea - hopefully never takes another close free kick

Brockie is 100% out mid August. I think the buyout was something absurd to ensure he would be going back(a rumour I have heard). It was a favour pulled to get him for the time we did.

Canary10
07-08-2013, 10:03 AM
WE DO NOT NEED A BIG NAME. WE ARE A SOCCER ENJOYING CITY. WE WANT A WINNER, NOT A FAMOUS PLAYER!!!!!!

We brought in Frings who is just as big..... omfg SKC has no international stud, they created their own. What are we doing....

Bieler? Espinoza? They've had a few. Not quite as big, but not created by them.

Red I
07-08-2013, 10:17 AM
... does anyone know if Alvaro Rey is still on trial with the team?

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Difference is that sometimes that a big name player can do enough to produce winning. I'm not saying Forlan would be that guy but he is a long way from the broken down Frings we got and he also plays in a position that can lead to instant impact. You look at what he is doing in Brazil this season and for his national team. Frings was a long way removed from those standards when he got here.

ag futbol
07-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Well put. That's my fear exactly. This club has looked at DP signings as a silver bullet and they've never worked out that way. I'm cautiously optimistic, but.....
My fear as well. I'm scared this team is again blinded by preasure to find short term profits, potentially at the expense of the long run.

dantdot
07-08-2013, 12:41 PM
... does anyone know if Alvaro Rey is still on trial with the team?

Not sure if he's still here but some news in the Spanish press saying he's about to have his contract terminated.

Red I
07-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Not sure if he's still here but some news in the Spanish press saying he's about to have his contract terminated.

Sweet

notthesun
07-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Sorry but I can't imagine a situation in which acquiring the best player in the league can be declared a bad move.

Is it ideal timing? I guess not, but very little is ideal in professional sports. Who's to say in a year or two after we've built a better core that a player as good as Forlan will be ready and willing to join the team? Opportunities to get guys like him don't fall out of the sky. If we pass on him now there's no guarantee we get someone like him in 2 years.

What about the fact he'll draw a lot of attention to the club? We've become rather irrelevant recently. Some buzz around the team could do us some good. Not to mention we would instantly become more attractive to other players. Pumas is apparently fighting us for Urruti right now; if this goes through you don't think that might tip the scales in our favor a bit? Suddenly we look a lot more appealing to South American players.

Besides, you can turn a team around in this league in a year, just look at Montreal. If we make the right moves our core could be set by next year, and Forlan will still be producing for us. Yeah I'd love to have him when we're 3rd/4th in the league and he can push us to 1st, but I'll gladly settle for him simply pushing us into the playoffs next year. And I don't think that's out of reach if we play the rest of our cards right.

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2013, 02:53 PM
My fear as well. I'm scared this team is again blinded by preasure to find short term profits, potentially at the expense of the long run.
How is signing a DP like Forlan at the expense of the long run? It's not like TFC is giving up young players to bring him in and even if an international needs to be cut to clear a spot it will be Lambe. Now if we started trading all our young guys away to clear space for older internationals ala Preki, then I'd be concerned but this can't do anything but help TFC in the short to medium term and by the time 'long term' comes into play I would hope Osorio, Bekker, Silva, and maybe even Welshman are our primary contributors to our first team.

mcolvy
07-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Bieler? Espinoza? They've had a few. Not quite as big, but not created by them.

Espinoza was created by them... Where else was he?.. College.....

Common, Bud. You must be trolling. You cant actually believe this crap.....

Bieler was just brought in this year, after they have had success. And common..... do you really think that Bieler is a big name? He is quality... but those are two different things..

Laba has more international pedigree then Bieler. He is also not 30+. He has a few years that he can and will build with the club.

He was brought in at the absolute maximum age. No older. He is soooo different then Frings and Forlan.

Dont do this.. please.

Ultra & Proud
07-08-2013, 03:01 PM
You can turn a team around in this league in a year, just look at Montreal. If we make the right moves our core could be set by next year, and Forlan will still be producing for us. Yeah I'd love to have him when we're 3rd/4th in the league and he can push us to 1st, but I'll gladly settle for him simply pushing us into the playoffs next year. And I don't think that's out of reach if we play the rest of our cards right.

You are 100% right. With the way we've played the league so far, an addition of someone like Forlan would/should add to a few more goals scored. If our defense plays as is then you'd have to think we could turn some of these 1 goal losses to draws and some of our crappy draws to wins. If any other of the rumored players come along during this window then we'll be ahead of the curve for next year.

Look at Montreal. They were a non-playoff team last year and were also having problems scoring goals. Then they signed Di Vaio and a few other Italian relics and went to first in the league. I don't hear anyone complaining about signing the 36 year old Di Vaio and getting him in there before Montreal were 3rd or 4th in the league. Passing up someone who can address your biggest weakness because the team isn't ready yet is idiotic. You see something to improve the squad, you do it.

Greatest Ripoff
07-08-2013, 03:10 PM
How is signing a DP like Forlan at the expense of the long run?

Because Toronto doesn't have an unlimited amount of DP spots and cash to spend. Why not use theses resources on more players like Laba that the team can built around? Will Forlan be playing for Toronto we they have a legit chance of winning the MLS cup?

Canary10
07-08-2013, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=mcolvy;1597237]Espinoza was created by them... Where else was he?.. College.....

Common, Bud. You must be trolling. You cant actually believe this crap.....

Bieler was just brought in this year, after they have had success. And common..... do you really think that Bieler is a big name? He is quality... but those are two different things..

Laba has more international pedigree then Bieler. He is also not 30+. He has a few years that he can and will build with the club.

He was brought in at the absolute maximum age. No older. He is soooo different then Frings and Forlan.

Dont do this.. please.[/QUOTE

Yeah, you're right, it's different.

OgtheDim
07-08-2013, 03:21 PM
..Will Forlan be playing for Toronto we they have a legit chance of winning the MLS cup?

Is NYRB a contender this year? Cause Henry's two years older then Forlan, and a doable plan is to for TFC to be a contender in 2015.

ag futbol
07-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Because Toronto doesn't have an unlimited amount of DP spots and cash to spend. Why not use theses resources on more players like Laba that the team can built around? Will Forlan be playing for Toronto we they have a legit chance of winning the MLS cup?
Agreed. If I could build this team in any way, I'd concentrate on getting as many guys like this as possible. Makes it more about the club too, as opposed to some individual talents.

I don't think this move makes us contenders for anything. The overall roster is still weak and Ryan Nelsen is still an unproven coach.

19Barrett19
07-08-2013, 03:31 PM
I get the feeling that nobody want to play for tfc. Not suprised since prior management made an ass out of themselves and thier players. Hope something works out for this club.

Ivy
07-08-2013, 03:44 PM
So...ummm... Thomas eh?

TFCAURORA
07-08-2013, 03:46 PM
So no Forlan?

Red I
07-08-2013, 03:58 PM
So no Forlan?

No for now... but Transfer Window not open. The deal is either A)done, just waiting on the window and the International Transfer Ticket when the window opens, niether side is showing their hand until everything is official B) not done but close, ironing out personal details with the player c) not done and not close, still negotiating with the club on the transfer fee or far away money-wise with the player or d) not coming

Laba and his former team denied everything right up until he arrived at Pearson, so i don't think you can say that the deal won't be completed

OgtheDim
07-08-2013, 04:07 PM
So, a few days of "are we there yet?"

Jack
07-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Getting Forlan, if it goes through, is absolutely a great move. We have our young core that needs to develop and gain some confidence. Sharing the room with a guy of Forlan's stature will help the young guys. Our young guys are pretty solid, we have a good young DP, we have a back line that could use another solid body and some help on the wing, but Forlan upgrades our team in both skill and stature, which is a good thing. We need to move toward our future, but these kids also need to get a taste of a real star and a pro like Forlan.

Ivy
07-08-2013, 04:20 PM
No for now... but Transfer Window not open. The deal is either A)done, just waiting on the window and the International Transfer Ticket when the window opens, niether side is showing their hand until everything is official B) not done but close, ironing out personal details with the player c) not done and not close, still negotiating with the club on the transfer fee or far away money-wise with the player or d) not coming

Laba and his former team denied everything right up until he arrived at Pearson, so i don't think you can say that the deal won't be completed
Lol no kidding... Those are the ONLY possibilities?

HuTor
07-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Lol no kidding... Those are the ONLY possibilities?

Lol, I was thinking exactly the same.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
07-08-2013, 05:24 PM
I was somewhat on the fence about this until I read back a few pages and saw that the consensus top need on this team is an AM. Can't get much more AM than Forlan.

Ominous aside: I've had "Diego Forlan" autocorrected twice in the past 12 hours. My Samsung phone wants to use "Diego Dormant" while the public terminal in Newark airport preferred (rather politically incorrectly, I thought) "Dago Forlorn".

mcolvy
07-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Honestly, this move worries me based on the premise when KP came in he said no old past their prime DPs, that it will only happen if we are a contender and it will drive us over the top. Period. Now all of sudden he talks about we are looking at a big name (could still be young), and the Forlan rumours come out.. after Timmy L arrives.

Timmy L will not stop about his Beckham crap. It is a god send. NOOO. LA is not the most respectable team to those who have watched MLS closely the past few years. They arent that exciting to watch. Look at SKC.. They play with 3 strikers and a very exciting game where their fullbacks are down each wing, yet they were the best defensive team last year.. That right that should be defining our league. Look at Houston. Such a tight, thick, no nonsense all for the great good type team. That is what we need to be. LA Galaxy if we want to call them successful, was not successful based off of one old player in Beckham.

We need to rebuild this team's fans and everyones love of the team. Bringing in people to simple watch Forlan's show is not building team spirit. They will come watch him and trash everyone that plays around him. Screw the Forlan fans. We want to build a TFC fan base and right now who cares if the seats are full. Lets make our own star. Lets build a team and watch guys grow and then when they have formed their solid core and confidence then you introduce some stuf players around them to help take it to the next level.

Just look at SKC's story. They were at the bottom of the table in '09. Crappier then us.

Brining in these big names just makes everyone else around him feel awkard and needing to please the superstar. Osorio will hesitate now off the wing, instead of taking on his defender, will just pass it off out of respect. But screw that. You think Zusi would be the player he is today if he was just set off and made that pass. Nope.

I hope our management doesnt have to learn this all over. Timmy L and KP will NOT get along. Timmy came in with a "KP has 'worked for' me before... guys a load of it. He did manage a big time set up over in LA, but I am not a fan of him. I am not a fan of the Galaxy.

If Forlan does sign it is evidence that these guys never learn. After watching that stupid documentary and hearing how much input Cochrane it makes me sick. He sounds even dummer then I thought he was. "If Bruce offers Donovan and their 1st for the pick, they would do it." What is he even saying.....

I was told no more OLD RETIREES AND WHAT NOW. Tim L is not the sports guy, he does budgets and approves crap. He should not come in and right away say we need a big time player blah blah.

I cant believe this is happening. When Forlan is a disaster then what? They will literally be in a hole that they cant crawl out of....

brad
07-08-2013, 10:17 PM
^^ the only question I have is why you (or anyone) believes what TFC says anymore? It's been lies upon lies since day one.

Jack
07-08-2013, 10:36 PM
If Forlan doesn't pan out, how are they in any worse of a hole than they are now? Our team SUCKS BALLS. We need someone who can generate consistent scoring chances and Forlan fits the bill. You think these young players will defer to him to the detriment of their development, but maybe they do well under his leadership and learn something from him. Montreal seems to be doing just fine with this model, as do the Shite Bulls. I'd love for us to build up a solid team with good MLS players in the style of KC, Salt Lake or Houston, but I don't think that method necessarily precludes signing a guy like Forlan. We aren't going to build a team like that in one or two seasons, so in the interim, bring in a guy like that and see what happens. Di Vaio is tearing this league apart (lol!) and look what Columbus (fuck) did a few years ago with a solid team and an ageing offensive star.

There is more than one model for building a winning club in this league. One of them is quicker and more fragile, because you put all your eggs in one basket, but we could use some success around here. Winning breeds winning and some of our young players could do with the taste of victory every once in a while. Hell, our manager is very inexperienced and could probably benefit from managing someone like that, as Forlan strikes me as very professional. Plus, Forlan is still going strong, if his Uruguay performances tell us anything.

reggie
07-08-2013, 10:43 PM
im with you jack...I cant believe some of the stuff coming out of some of the people on this subject..JEEZZZ

Haddy
07-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Honestly, this move worries me based on the premise when KP came in he said no old past their prime DPs, that it will only happen if we are a contender and it will drive us over the top. Period. Now all of sudden he talks about we are looking at a big name (could still be young), and the Forlan rumours come out.. after Timmy L arrives.

Timmy L will not stop about his Beckham crap. It is a god send. NOOO. LA is not the most respectable team to those who have watched MLS closely the past few years. They arent that exciting to watch. Look at SKC.. They play with 3 strikers and a very exciting game where their fullbacks are down each wing, yet they were the best defensive team last year.. That right that should be defining our league. Look at Houston. Such a tight, thick, no nonsense all for the great good type team. That is what we need to be. LA Galaxy if we want to call them successful, was not successful based off of one old player in Beckham.

We need to rebuild this team's fans and everyones love of the team. Bringing in people to simple watch Forlan's show is not building team spirit. They will come watch him and trash everyone that plays around him. Screw the Forlan fans. We want to build a TFC fan base and right now who cares if the seats are full. Lets make our own star. Lets build a team and watch guys grow and then when they have formed their solid core and confidence then you introduce some stuf players around them to help take it to the next level.

Just look at SKC's story. They were at the bottom of the table in '09. Crappier then us.

Brining in these big names just makes everyone else around him feel awkard and needing to please the superstar. Osorio will hesitate now off the wing, instead of taking on his defender, will just pass it off out of respect. But screw that. You think Zusi would be the player he is today if he was just set off and made that pass. Nope.

I hope our management doesnt have to learn this all over. Timmy L and KP will NOT get along. Timmy came in with a "KP has 'worked for' me before... guys a load of it. He did manage a big time set up over in LA, but I am not a fan of him. I am not a fan of the Galaxy.

If Forlan does sign it is evidence that these guys never learn. After watching that stupid documentary and hearing how much input Cochrane it makes me sick. He sounds even dummer then I thought he was. "If Bruce offers Donovan and their 1st for the pick, they would do it." What is he even saying.....

I was told no more OLD RETIREES AND WHAT NOW. Tim L is not the sports guy, he does budgets and approves crap. He should not come in and right away say we need a big time player blah blah.

I cant believe this is happening. When Forlan is a disaster then what? They will literally be in a hole that they cant crawl out of....

You are making too many assumptions. As a supporter, unfortunately, you'll have to wait and see.

I like the SKC model too. But winning involves risks. That's why not many teams in any sport are consistent at it.

I don't mind a big name, so long as they contribute to positive results. TFC has a good amount of youth, especially if Urruti comes, so a bit more experience is welcome. And if Forlan, or whoever comes in as the senior DP that KP has been consistent about maybe bringing in, is the ultimate replacement for Koevermans than I think it's a good upgrade.

ag futbol
07-08-2013, 10:48 PM
If Forlan doesn't pan out, how are they in any worse of a hole than they are now? Our team SUCKS BALLS. We need someone who can generate consistent scoring chances and Forlan fits the bill. You think these young players will defer to him to the detriment of their development, but maybe they do well under his leadership and learn something from him. Montreal seems to be doing just fine with this model, as do the Shite Bulls. I'd love for us to build up a solid team with good MLS players in the style of KC, Salt Lake or Houston, but I don't think that method necessarily precludes signing a guy like Forlan. We aren't going to build a team like that in one or two seasons, so in the interim, bring in a guy like that and see what happens. Di Vaio is tearing this league apart (lol!) and look what Columbus (fuck) did a few years ago with a solid team and an ageing offensive star.

There is more than one model for building a winning club in this league. One of them is quicker and more fragile, because you put all your eggs in one basket, but we could use some success around here. Winning breeds winning and some of our young players could do with the taste of victory every once in a while. Hell, our manager is very inexperienced and could probably benefit from managing someone like that, as Forlan strikes me as very professional. Plus, Forlan is still going strong, if his Uruguay performances tell us anything.
I'd be careful on this, it's been said a lot on the past and I've never seen any signs of it coming to fruition. There are cheaper / better ways to find leadership than DP slots. In terns of how we'd be worse off: we'd be behind a large contract that would limit our flexibility.

As for what KP originally said... it heavily looking like it's being diluted by what Nelsen wants and now what Leiweke wants. Far from "everyone reading from the same hymn sheet" that we were promised.

Leiweke is starting to scare me as well. I really don't want him anywhere near the team other than to approve a fat budget for the squad.

Jack
07-08-2013, 10:53 PM
I'd be careful on this, it's been said a lot on the past and I've never seen any signs of it coming to fruition. There are cheaper / better ways to find leadership than DP slots.

As for what KP originally said... it heavily looking like it's being diluted by what Nelsen wants and now what Leiweke wants. Far from "everyone reading from the same hymn sheet" that we were promised.

Leiweke is starting to scare me as well. I really don't want him anywhere near the team other than to approve a fat budget for the squad.
Leiweke at least knows the game and the league. And I said "maybe". If he doesn't give any leadership and only gives us an offensive shot in the arm, I'll still take it.

reggie
07-08-2013, 11:00 PM
yes he Leiweke is a scary guy...I think his clubs have won a few cups...we are lucky to have him,he is a soccer fan and cares about tfc, he was a gm for a indoor soccer team in the past. better him then some bean counter.

metaxa
07-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Bringing Forlan is a great move... it will definitely push the players and team forward. C'mon you have a superstar on your team it automatically forces you to up your game... you want that pass or play cause it motivates you to the next level. I think the players would be ecstatic and play even harder.... It an automatic boost to the team. It tells the team this is serious. I Hope it happens. And also with the addition of maximiliano urrutia (http://www.bing.com/search?q=maximiliano+urrutia&FORM=AWRE). A nice spanish flavour.... hopefully more. How can you you not want this guy on your team?

ag futbol
07-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Leiweke at least knows the game and the league.
Listening to him talk about LA, I think he knows about giving an organization resources to succeed. But the formula? He gives way too much credit to Beckham (his move) and not enough credit to what Bruce Arena has done (the real reason they win).

mcolvy
07-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Listening to him talk about LA, I think he knows about giving an organization resources to succeed. But the formula? He gives way too much credit to Beckham (his move) and not enough credit to what Bruce Arena has done (the real reason they win).

Yes thank you. So true.

And as for the Montreal and NYRB doing well with the old timers. Fine. Montreal is doing well, but I ask you this. If we could swap squads would you be in favour of that? I want to get ahold of Felipe Martins as much as the next guy (which by the way, he is the type of player I want as our number 10. I would do anything, and pay anything for him to be a TFC player.), but I would not make that swap. Di Vaio has nothing left in the tank. He is an injury from that team falling apart and frankly they are terrible to watch.

Montreal WILL NOT hold down a top spot in the east. Where will that squad be in two years? Screw that model. We tried it and it failed.

Next plan SKC......

Ivy
07-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Happy transfer window opener everybody!

Phil
07-09-2013, 07:39 AM
I can say from watching the RSL games second half with Tim Leiweke, he is very observant and passionate about this sport. It was a bit surpiesing considering the scope of his job, but he was analyzing Berckermans play, our inability to play the ball up front past their defenders, and had a ton of analysis about all kinds of players in the league.

He knows Kevin Payne well, and seems to be very happy with Nelly. Very bold guy, came right into 112 and asked if he could have a chat and watch the game. I am looking forward to seeing what can be done to turn this team around, but they need to prove it now, hopefully this Forlan move gets done soon and we start to see some positive impact. I am just as jadded as everyone else, but I am choosing to have a bit of hope at this point.

Jack
07-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Well, considering LA was in three of the last five MLS Cup finals, I'd consider what was done there a success. If we make 3 of the next 10 MLS Cup finals, it would be nice. And again, I agree that the model in Montreal is precarious, but I still think you can go with a hybrid model while you build the organization. Our core of good youngsters is still going to be here in two years when an older DP retires, but they will be more ready to step into prime roles. Then they can help the newer players. Anyway, let's see what happens. Either way, I'll take some MLS success for this team...it's long overdue.

mastermixer
07-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Everyone can have a strategy on how to win but in reality this is MLS...

http://www.gameshowstogo.com/images/spin2winlogo.jpg

reggie
07-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Yes thank you. So true.

And as for the Montreal and NYRB doing well with the old timers. Fine. Montreal is doing well, but I ask you this. If we could swap squads would you be in favour of that? I want to get ahold of Felipe Martins as much as the next guy (which by the way, he is the type of player I want as our number 10. I would do anything, and pay anything for him to be a TFC player.), but I would not make that swap. Di Vaio has nothing left in the tank. He is an injury from that team falling apart and frankly they are terrible to watch.

Montreal WILL NOT hold down a top spot in the east. Where will that squad be in two years? Screw that model. We tried it and it failed.

Next plan SKC......

plan splan....jus win is the only plan I want....come on TIM go for it...

Oldtimer
07-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Tim L is not the sports guy, he does budgets and approves crap. He should not come in and right away say we need a big time player blah blah.

Tim L. knows an incredible amount about football, he's no Tom Anselmi.

I agree that the SKC model, or my favourite model RSL of a couple of years ago produce really good football (for MLS). There is merit, however, in what Tim is doing to reboot the franchise and get some excitement going. Maybe some of the people here will see it as next best, but for the general public which can fill 90% of BMO, having an exciting "star" player does help change the story. There are also mentoring opportunities for younger players... it means a lot for them to have at least one great player on the team.

I don't think that you need to worry that KP will change the strategy that much. He's very focused, and knows how to play the game politically speaking. He'll work with Tim to bring in one star player, but any other DP he brings in will be a long term building block. It's just like everyone worried when he used Nelsen's contacts to bring in some British players that he was abandoning his South American preference. Now we see that it isn't the case.

Don't worry, in the long run you will see that he will have a very logical build to the team.

Canary10
07-09-2013, 08:47 AM
My two cents: Forlan won't hamstring the finances. Koevermans is in his final DP year. That's a big contract and DP space freed up for next year. We'll have the room this off season to bring more players in.

I think we're a little over-glorifying SKC. Yeah they play a 4-3-3, but not the kind I'd want us playing. They are more a physical team that happens to play that formation. And they have nothing to show for it as of yet. If you want to watch real fluid football in MLS, look at Portland. (If TFC had any foresight when they were contemplating Winter's firing, they should have been trying to get Caleb Porter back then and kept a consistent vision for the team instead of that idiot Mariner). At any rate, there really isn't one proven way to find success in MLS. Or if there is, LA is probably the one example.

I share many of the concerns everyone else does, but on the whole it's hard to see how bringing an excellent footballer in will be bad for your team. That's what every club in the world wants to do.

T-boy
07-09-2013, 09:08 AM
A lot of people are still confusing formation with system, or formation with style of play. 4-3-3 can be pretty football, or aggressive football, 4-3-3 can be one style or another. A lot of people still look purely at 4-3-3 and think "that's how Barca play, that's the best way", but really 4-3-3 can mean almost anything. Just cos SKC play a 4-3-3 formation doesn't mean its the prettiest football in the world! (and Canary, you aren't one of these people, if you wonder if I'm pointing this at you).

Dreadlocks
07-09-2013, 09:50 AM
I keep hearing this SKC comparison and correct me if I'm wrong but SKC have no choice but to find low budget players. They do not have 5M DP dollars. If they had MLSE money, don't you think they would use it?

mcolvy
07-09-2013, 09:50 AM
A lot of people are still confusing formation with system, or formation with style of play. 4-3-3 can be pretty football, or aggressive football, 4-3-3 can be one style or another. A lot of people still look purely at 4-3-3 and think "that's how Barca play, that's the best way", but really 4-3-3 can mean almost anything. Just cos SKC play a 4-3-3 formation doesn't mean its the prettiest football in the world! (and Canary, you aren't one of these people, if you wonder if I'm pointing this at you).

Thanks for really dumbing it down there, bud.

He and I, both, clearly know this. That SKC isnt Barca. But, at the same time they at any given time have had three true strikers out on the pitch (obviously Zusi on the right wing just balances out the team and isnt like this). This isnt about attacking or not attacking, but it is about the fact that they play higher up the field. Thats it. Don't drop the barca on me.

barticusz
07-09-2013, 10:00 AM
For all those that think SKC is the model of success in MLS, or RSL for that matter. Please tell me how many championships either have won since TFC has been in the league.. or even before that.

There is no one true way of building a solid team. Some find success due to their own players developing at a higher rate and becoming commodities. Other teams bring in world class talent to help them along. In the end, LAG has won 2 of the past three Supporters Shields and MLS Cups. SKC has won squat. RSL was a MLS cup winner but back in '09.

This year Montreal is having a hell of a season with nearly half of their starting eleven being 30+ : Bernier, Arnaud, Ferrari, Nesta, Di Vaio.

These complaints that TFC shouldn't sign a *World Class* talent or look for one like Forlan because of his age are just absurd. Our lineup is stock full of young talent that is getting a lot of minutes this year but you need a healthy balance of young and old. Let's not forget that we're one of few teams at has signed a young notable player such as Laba in the MLS. Further to that we've been trying to get Urruti who is being targeted by numerous other clubs in the world.

T-boy
07-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks for really dumbing it down there, bud.

He and I, both, clearly know this. That SKC isnt Barca. But, at the same time they at any given time have had three true strikers out on the pitch (obviously Zusi on the right wing just balances out the team and isnt like this). This isnt about attacking or not attacking, but it is about the fact that they play higher up the field. Thats it. Don't drop the barca on me.

I wasn't talking to you either, I was talking in general, and in general about the perception of formation versus style versus tactics in the wider population.

19Barrett19
07-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Silva traded to dc for allo money!

CommradePolski
07-09-2013, 11:11 AM
More imaginary Garber bucks! Woooo! (i think?)

notthesun
07-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Bringing in Forlan? Good move. Trading Silva to make space for him? Terrible move.

I was hoping Forlan (or whatever DP we get) would be an addition to our plans. Turns out he is the fucking plan.

This reeks of MLSE "win now" bullshit. Silva has regressed a bit but he still has a great shot at being a very good player in this league. And we can't even squeeze out a draft pick for him? How much allocation did we get from D.C. then?

Sam Cronin 2.0 incoming.

If Payne doesn't sign 2-3 other guys this window, YOUNG guys, my faith in our management will be pretty much shot.

edit: Players weren't even informed on the deal. They found out through th media after training. Molinaro on twitter: "O'Dea when informed by media about Silva trade: "That's typical. We don't get told (things) around here."

Nice. That's our captain. Well done on that transparency and communication, Payne. FFS.

TFC07
07-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Bringing in Forlan? Good move. Trading Silva to make space for him? Terrible move.

I was hoping Forlan (or whatever DP we get) would be an addition to our plans. Turns out he is the fucking plan.

This reeks of MLSE "win now" bullshit. Silva has regressed a bit but he still has a great shot at being a very good player in this league. And we can't even squeeze out a draft pick for him? How much allocation did we get from D.C. then?

Sam Cronin 2.0 incoming.

If Payne doesn't sign 2-3 other guys this window, YOUNG guys, my faith in our management will be pretty much shot.

Or Silva was traded to bring in better younger player (Urriti)

notthesun
07-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Or Silva was traded to bring in better younger player (Urriti)

I'd be ok with that. I just want to see our original plan put into practice. Forming a young core that stays with the team for 3-4 years. If we throw out the plan already I might as well throw in the towel.

OgtheDim
07-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Is there a disenchanted domestic attacking player out there worth getting right now? I don't think Urruti and Forlan will be enough.

On another note, we have 3 games in 7 days next week.

Without Danny, and Earnshaw, and Silva, are we going to go with Braun and Brockie as our only strikers? (I don't count the Weedman)

TFC07
07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl (https://twitter.com/GrantWahl)2h (https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/354624897923825665)
Like Luis Silva's potential, and a move from Toronto to DC could be great for him. Leiweke tells me 6 candidates for "major DP" at TFC.

ag futbol
07-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Here's my wild guess about what's happening: We're going to use all this allocation money to place Urruti as a non-DP player for the rest of this year. Next year when Koeverman's is gone, he'll take up a young DP slot.

Forlan is still coming, but he'll fit under the cap regardless of the moves we just made.

CommradePolski
07-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Is there a disenchanted domestic attacking player out there worth getting right now? I don't think Urruti and Forlan will be enough.

On another note, we have 3 games in 7 days next week.

Without Danny, and Earnshaw, and Silva, are we going to go with Braun and Brockie as our only strikers? (I don't count the Weedman)

Larson said Earnshaw is back now. And also that Ecks is in training with the 2nd team.

MarkEightThree
07-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Molinaro on twitter: "O'Dea when informed by media about Silva trade: "That's typical. We don't get told (things) around here."

This one line crushes my spirit more than any trade or over-aged DP signing. I thought we were done with this locker room bullshit. To hear players still speak openly to the media like that makes me think this team is still miles away from having a winning attitude.

TFC07
07-09-2013, 12:30 PM
This one line crushes my spirit more than any trade or over-aged DP signing. I thought we were done with this locker room bullshit. To hear players still speak openly to the media like that makes me think this team is still miles away from having a winning attitude.

Agreed, but however, O'Dea known to be very open and isn't scared to speak his mind. So I am not surprised with his response.

jloome
07-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Agreed, but however, O'Dea known to be very open and isn't scared to speak his mind. So I am not surprised with his response.

He doesn't strike me as the sharpest card in the deck.

OgtheDim
07-09-2013, 12:54 PM
He's the captain and finding out from the media.

Yes, he should say nothing much to that.

But, its a mistake on KP's part not to let the team know before the media finds them.

TFC07
07-09-2013, 01:01 PM

But, its a mistake on KP's part not to let the team know before the media finds them.

By default yes, but I don't think he's real leader in the locker room. I wouldn't be surprised by end of the season we have a new captain.

TFC07
07-09-2013, 01:02 PM

He has a lot of heart at least. lol

pekduck
07-09-2013, 01:07 PM

i concur

also, decision making process on player acquisition/trade don't typically involve players, captain or not.. it's a business call

i speculate that league office processes transfer transactions and when done media will find out about the same time as the team submits them. media will run the story way more efficient than the team with an agenda to generate traffic and readership.... teams, depends on the management style, often say what's needed to the players... i mean.. in this line of work as a player... instead of focus on knowing all and get distracted, better focus on the productivity on the field...

OgtheDim
07-09-2013, 01:21 PM
In other news

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 8m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/354662408486273024) Nelsen on whether this a career-ending back injury for Califf: "It’s not looking good. I hope not, but it’s not looking good.” #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 3m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/354663517690920960) Nelsen on Califf's #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) signing Califf (in light of his "injuries" this season): Obviously (our) due diligence wasn’t there."

Corpand
07-09-2013, 01:27 PM
^^^
Confirms what I said two weeks ago about Califf. Sadly he is going to retire this year, hopefully still has a place as a staff member.

Hearing about 4 names we are looking at currently, very tricky to sign with MLS rules, they are holding up a few aspects of the deals. Yet the names thrown around are actually going to rock many people here. There is quite a lot of planning behind the moves. Very different from Mariner or MoJo moves.

Thank fucking christ.

TFC07
07-09-2013, 01:28 PM
^^^
Confirms what I said two weeks ago about Califf. Sadly he is going to retire this year, hopefully still has a place as a staff member.

Hearing about 4 names we are looking at currently. The signings are actually going to rock many people here. There is quite a lot of planning behind the moves. Very different from Mariner or MoJo moves.

4 names? Hopefully one of them is a winger.

Red I
07-09-2013, 01:29 PM
In other news

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)8m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/354662408486273024) Nelsen on whether this a career-ending back injury for Califf: "It’s not looking good. I hope not, but it’s not looking good.” #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)3m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/354663517690920960) Nelsen on Califf's #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) signing Califf (in light of his "injuries" this season): Obviously (our) due diligence wasn’t there."

Well, i guess we all know now why this guy has not seen much minutes... what are cap rules around season ending injury?

Also, Molinaro tweeted Alvaro Rey no longer on trial - hopefully this means they have plans for bringing in a wing player

Corpand
07-09-2013, 01:30 PM
More than one.

TFC07
07-09-2013, 01:31 PM
More than one.

Good. We need to cut deadweight (Lambe for an example) to make room for new players. Maybe thats hold up right now.

Red I
07-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Man, shiz is going to get straight up cray up in here i can feel it... i think Payne and co. are gonna do what they can to get all their pieces here and now

TFC07
07-09-2013, 01:34 PM
I hope this forum doesn't crash when signings are announced. lol

Corpand
07-09-2013, 01:37 PM
I really do think Nelsen is waiting it out on Reggie. He is still relatively young, his physical presence has increased this year but he needs to be more direct with his runs. Him and Hall are two pet projects that I cannot see Nelsen letting go of this season. Best of all, their salaries are not terrible so Reggie can be used effectively off the bench while Hall can shore up midfield late game.

TFC07
07-09-2013, 01:41 PM
I really do think Nelsen is waiting it out on Reggie. He is still relatively young, his physical presence has increased this year but he needs to be more direct with his runs. Him and Hall are two pet projects that I cannot see Nelsen letting go of this season. Best of all, their salaries are not terrible so Reggie can be used effectively off the bench while Hall can shore up midfield late game.

Problem with Reggie is that he counts as an international. I think he needs to be in Canada one more year to get his PR though. So it will be interesting to see if Reggie can survive in Toronto for one more year.

Ultra & Proud
07-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Lambes biggest cost is an int spot.
Yeah, for sure. Well, that and offense. He costs us a lot of potentially good offensive counter attacking opportunities when he is out there.

BuSaPuNk
07-09-2013, 01:46 PM
^^^

Hearing about 4 names we are looking at currently, very tricky to sign with MLS rules, they are holding up a few aspects of the deals. Yet the names thrown around are actually going to rock many people here. There is quite a lot of planning behind the moves. Very different from Mariner or MoJo moves.

Thank fucking christ.

Hmmmm like? Names dam it the interwebs want names

Ultra & Proud
07-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Hmmmm like? Names dam it the interwebs want names

That's why people like O'Dea and our players don't get told anything about behind the scenes moves. Too many athletes (and stupid employees) hitting up Twitter and breaking the news prematurely. I wouldn't tell them either until it was official and ready for announcement.

BuSaPuNk
07-09-2013, 02:06 PM
That's why people like O'Dea and our players don't get told anything about behind the scenes moves. Too many athletes (and stupid employees) hitting up Twitter and breaking the news prematurely. I wouldn't tell them either until it was official and ready for announcement.

That's what I was getting at. Surprised its 4 names though. Really only heard real links to only 2-3

CommradePolski
07-09-2013, 02:07 PM
You cant say that and not name drop! This aint no strip club!

brad
07-09-2013, 02:10 PM

You know, an interest point on this. Last year summer I watched a Q&A with Rio Ferdinand, and someone asked him who the new players coming into Man Utd would be. He said "I don't know, I find out from the media just like the rest of you". Maybe it's not so far fetched.

Ultra & Proud
07-09-2013, 02:14 PM
You know, an interest point on this. Last year summer I watched a Q&A with Rio Ferdinand, and someone asked him who the new players coming into Man Utd would be. He said "I don't know, I find out from the media just like the rest of you". Maybe it's not so far fetched.
Exactly. Plus never trust players and their social media to screw things up.

barticusz
07-09-2013, 02:59 PM
So Newell Old Boys is winning 2-0 on aggregate in the Copa Libertaedores after the first leg. Next game is July 10th. Assuming they win and move onto the finals their last game will be July 24th. So if we are to obtain Urruti I would guess it won't be until this tournament is over.

Red I
07-09-2013, 03:07 PM
So Newell Old Boys is winning 2-0 on aggregate in the Copa Libertaedores after the first leg. Next game is July 10th. Assuming they win and move onto the finals their last game will be July 24th. So if we are to obtain Urruti I would guess it won't be until this tournament is over.

.. holy hell that's far away. It's only day 2 of the window, and i'm already freaking out. Secretly hoping they lose that 2nd leg...

Corpand
07-09-2013, 04:02 PM
I would never mention a name, especially here. News travels like wildfire. Such acts can really complicate/jeopardize deals that are going through and kept hush hush for a reason. Yes, people talk. It's how much they reveal that's important.

And on Lambe, true. That international spot. He has not earned it so far.

Marc"2L"
07-09-2013, 04:18 PM
^^^

Thank fucking christ.

its the rules part I'm worried about.
Im sure they don't want to come here and then be shipped to Dallas.
I hear the heat is rather hot and capable of burning down there.

Fishnicker
07-09-2013, 04:22 PM

This seems to be normal now. Just off the top of my head, the Rochat deal, Feilhaber, Farfan, Agudelo, all had some sort of "found out through the media" thing being mentioned. It happens all the time in MLB and NHL too and I suspect it has less to do with the "class" of a club than with the sheer speed of news, leaks, rumours etc these days.

brad
07-09-2013, 04:35 PM
.. holy hell that's far away. It's only day 2 of the window, and i'm already freaking out. Secretly hoping they lose that 2nd leg...

Why? The season is a right off anyway, the fact that he wouldn't be here for a longer period doesn't matter in the least.

Ajax TFC
07-09-2013, 04:41 PM
I just heard on CBC "Toronto FC traded midfielder Luis Silva for not a player, but cash" - clearly doesn't understand the concept of allocation money.

tfcleeds
07-09-2013, 07:49 PM
its the rules part I'm worried about.
Im sure they don't want to come here and then be shipped to Dallas.
I hear the heat is rather hot and capable of burning down there.

Love the avatar!

ag futbol
07-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Love the avatar!
I second this.

First half of the year he could have been Kevin: the loan arranger. And he still buying your gold and used jewelry.

Marc"2L"
07-09-2013, 08:36 PM
I second this.

First half of the year he could have been Kevin: the loan arranger. And he still buying your gold and used jewelry.
Came up at waking the red, somebody said he turns Silva into cash.

Richard
07-09-2013, 09:37 PM
^^^ Hahaha, that's the best avatar I've seen yet.

reggie
07-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Came up at waking the red, somebody said he turns Silva into cash.

CLASSIC....you can add it on a silva plata

Manager87
07-09-2013, 10:57 PM
The denials continue to flow in as this time Toronto FC's head honcho, Tim Leiweke, denies that Toronto FC are closing in on securing Diego Forlan stating they are currently pursuing a number of different potential new Designated Players.

Manager87
07-09-2013, 10:59 PM
http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/7/8/4506048/toronto-fc-denies-diego-forlan-signing-imminent/in/4266647

T-boy
07-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl (https://twitter.com/GrantWahl)2h (https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/354624897923825665)
Like Luis Silva's potential, and a move from Toronto to DC could be great for him. Leiweke tells me 6 candidates for "major DP" at TFC.

6?

Forlan, Kaka, Drogba(?),

Anybody think of any other potentials on the list of 6?

Richard
07-09-2013, 11:28 PM
I am confused, is it happening or not? Sheesh.

Manager87
07-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Dejan Stankovic ?

19Barrett19
07-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Rooney?

Marc"2L"
07-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Not Drogba, he's 35

CBTFC
07-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Ji Sung Park

TFCtoMUFC
07-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Ronaldinho

69Chevy396
07-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Luis Figo

Nuvinho
07-10-2013, 07:21 AM
I was told that Tevez was offered a contract by TFC. I was discussing other names with this person (don't really know if they do know, but they do work for TFC FO), we threw out names likes Kaka and Pirlo.

West220Side
07-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Are we naming players, uh ! uh ! george best! did I win?

PopePouri
07-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Guess not I was wrong on that one ... or a little to drunk ;)

Kaka is still on the cards I think. :p

Milanista
07-10-2013, 08:57 AM
I was told that Tevez was offered a contract by TFC. I was discussing other names with this person (don't really know if they do know, but they do work for TFC FO), we threw out names likes Kaka and Pirlo.

If either of those players joined I would get season tickets...Kaka and pirlo would be unreal. But no way they come here, too good to join mls at this time.

dimops
07-10-2013, 09:00 AM
I get a feeling TFC are using Forlan as a negotiating tactic with another player..

Ajax TFC
07-10-2013, 09:03 AM
If either of those players joined I would get season tickets...Kaka and pirlo would be unreal. But no way they come here, too good to join mls at this time.
I wouldn't say that either is too good for MLS, but I can't see either coming in a WC year. Kaka would probably want to go somewhere that gives him at least a slight chance of making it there. And Pirlo wouldn't want to ruin the good thing that he has going at Juve in a world cup year since he's pretty much the heartbeat of the Italian team. I could see us maybe making our interest known to them now, and then really going for either of them next summer after the world cup

Milanista
07-10-2013, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't say that either is too good for MLS, but I can't see either coming in a WC year. Kaka would probably want to go somewhere that gives him at least a slight chance of making it there. And Pirlo wouldn't want to ruin the good thing that he has going at Juve in a world cup year since he's pretty much the heartbeat of the Italian team. I could see us maybe making our interest known to them now, and then really going for either of them next summer after the world cup

kaka is still fairly young and if Madrid would actually let him leave you would have tons of teams lining up for him. Pirlo is still the heart of the national team and Juve...they are going for a CL title, thats why i think at this time them joining the mls is impossible. I could see guys like stanko from inter and drogba being a possibility

T-boy
07-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Not Drogba, he's 35

Even at 35, I would still say he checked most of the boxes to be a DP target. He's still fit, still scores goals at almost any level, he's a name and would put bums on seats as well as goals in the net.

And also, love your avatar!

ProfessorDamage
07-10-2013, 09:51 AM
They sign Drogba or Lamps (don't see how, since he just reupped at the Bridge) and they've got my money until those players retire, no questions asked.

Pint
07-10-2013, 11:34 AM
@MLSTransfers: Source: Other Toronto targets include Javier Saviola, Dejan Stankovic #TFC #MLS

ProfessorDamage
07-10-2013, 11:39 AM
@MLSTransfers: Source: Other Toronto targets include Javier Saviola, Dejan Stankovic #TFC #MLS

I'd sooner have Saviola because if you look up "over-the-hill European player looking for an MLS retirement payday" in the dictionary, you'd find Stankovic's picture there.

TFC_905
07-10-2013, 11:41 AM
With Ancelotti managing Real, I think Kaka' would want to spend at least one season under him again.... but, who knows?
If TFC find a way to convince him to come to Toronto, I would go nuts. He's my favourite player. I have so many good memories of him when he was a Milanista. It was be incredible if they did sign him.

Richard
07-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Dejan Stankovic is Frings 2.0, I would be fucking livid if we sign him. According to the stats he played 3 games last season, so he is probably not fit either to begin with.

Joe Kool
07-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Didier Drogba...la la la la la....Didier Drogba...la la la la la la !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsgfL_UizTU

tfcleeds
07-10-2013, 11:52 AM
I'd sooner have Saviola because if you look up "over-the-hill European player looking for an MLS retirement payday" in the dictionary, you'd find Stankovic's picture there.Interestingly, Internacional are also after Saviola.

T-boy
07-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Saviola would be a good choice. Good age, still has ability, scored goals in a better league that the MLS last season.

Stankovic, I agree, is a no from me. He's just not played enough lately, and I think he would be the next Mista.

tfcleeds
07-10-2013, 12:05 PM
I will be utterly unimpressed if we sign Stankovic.

tfcmanu
07-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Saviola would be a good choice. Good age, still has ability, scored goals in a better league that the MLS last season.

Stankovic, I agree, is a no from me. He's just not played enough lately, and I think he would be the next Mista.

Saviola was linked to the Sounders in Feb/2013

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1532922-mls-javier-saviola-to-swap-the-champions-league-and-malaga-for-seattle

Stouffville_RPB
07-10-2013, 12:17 PM
I will be utterly unimpressed if we sign Stankovic.

Don't worry that won't happen.

Leiweke wants to bring a big name that even the most casual fans would have heard of (alla Kaka, Forlan, Drogba, Lampard, Beckham) that is his whole thing. He has said from day 1 here that is what he wants to do. Putting Stankovic's name next to any other player that has been mentioned really doesn't fit.

Leiweke is swinging for the fences with this DP or he's keeping the bat on his shoulder.

tfcmanu
07-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Add Fredy Montero to the list, watching SIC Portuguese tv That a team from Canada assuming TFC put an offer to acquire Fredy, However he said it would be a dream to play with Sporting Lisbon this signing will probably happened with SCP.

http://www.cirvfm.com/fptv.html

http://www.record.xl.pt/Futebol/Nacional/1a_liga/Sporting/interior.aspx?content_id=832361

moralis
07-10-2013, 12:57 PM
That's false about Montero. He's signed with Sporting and will arrive in Toronto for the start of Sporting preseason.

tfcmanu
07-10-2013, 12:59 PM
That's false about Montero. He's signed with Sporting and will arrive in Toronto for the start of Sporting preseason.

I must of misunderstood...Could be, However makes sence.

http://www.record.xl.pt/Futebol/Nacional/1a_liga/Sporting/interior.aspx?content_id=832361

Advanced visited training center of Seattle Sounders.
The advanced Colombian Fredy Montero could not be more happy. The shift to Europe, more precisely to the Sporting, leaves the front of 25 years in the clouds, although, in official terms, stress that still nothing is closed.

"At this moment I am just waiting to get it right, because nothing is official yet. So let's see if I have to go to Seattle for Colombia, or Seattle directly to la (Portugal) ", began by saying the Colombian, linked to Seattle Sounders, in statements quoted by official site of the MLS.

"I have heard something about the start of pre-season in Canada, in Toronto, but as I said before, i do not know where I have to go," he said, showing after his happiness by change for Europe.

"It is a dream come true. I hope to have success by la. I was waiting for this opportunity in the past and ca she is. Now I hope I enjoy it as I did with all that I had until now", he concluded.

ag futbol
07-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't like the sounds of this. Some of these players are wildly different from others.

I sincerely hope we are just being used as a ploy and not actually talking to all these players.

Stouffville_RPB
07-10-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't like the sounds of this. Some of these players are wildly different from others.

I sincerely hope we are just being used as a ploy and not actually talking to all these players.

I don't think that is what it is at all. I genuinely believe that TFC is working on bringing in a household name DP.

From reading The Beckham Experiment, his history in LA and everything he has said since arriving in Toronto Tim Leiweke is all about the star power. He isn't the kind of person who will settle for any DP. Leiweke doesn't look to land players like Rafael or Chris Boyd. He goes after the Henry's of the world.

I genuinely believe that TFC are negotiating to bring in players like Tevez, Forlan, Kaka, Drogba etc. and that is because of Tim Leiweke. At the same time I think that Kevin Payne is still looking at players that fit the mold that he stated the club would bring in, players like Laba and Urruti.

Guys like Stankovic getting linked is just paper-talk. Guy looking to come over and it is known that TFC is looking to bring guys in equals an easy transfer speculation story.

jloome
07-10-2013, 02:32 PM

A few available players, debate and discuss.

Javier Saviola (already discussed)
Pablo Aimar
Kevin Bobson
Ji Sung Park
Christian Timm
Xavi Alonso
Nuri Sahin
Sebastian Squillaci
Yossi Benayoun
Florent Malouda
Jermaine Pennant
Roque Santa Cruz
Nani
Scott Parker
Nicklas Bendtner
Wilson Palacios
Salomon Kalou
Jay Spearing
Ever Banega
Simeon Jackson (surprise scoop at the last second?)

tfcleeds
07-10-2013, 02:39 PM
^From that list, Jackson and Spearing have already signed with clubs (Eintracht Braunchweig and Blackburn Rovers respectively)

jloome
07-10-2013, 02:40 PM
^From that list, Jackson and Spearing have already signed with clubs (Eintracht Braunchweig and Blackburn Rovers respectively)

I knew Jackson had left camp to sign, didn't know it had gone ahead. Spearing must've been the last couple of days as well? Or did I just miss it. Either way.

tfcleeds
07-10-2013, 02:43 PM
^My bad - I guess Spearing isn't official yet. But Jackson is.

WestStandGeoff
07-10-2013, 02:48 PM
^ Yup, same goes for Santa Cruz (Malaga) and Palacios (Stoke City).

Ajax TFC
07-10-2013, 02:51 PM
A few available players, debate and discuss.

Javier Saviola (already discussed)
Pablo Aimar
Kevin Bobson
Ji Sung Park
Christian Timm
Xavi Alonso
Nuri Sahin
Sebastian Squillaci
Yossi Benayoun
Florent Malouda
Jermaine Pennant
Roque Santa Cruz
Nani
Scott Parker
Nicklas Bendtner
Wilson Palacios
Salomon Kalou
Jay Spearing
Ever Banega
Simeon Jackson (surprise scoop at the last second?)
I think Xabi Alonso and Nani are the two players that most fit with what both Nelsen want and what Leiweke wants. Both really big name players. Xabi Alonso fits in Nelsen's system as the creative CM, and Nani as a winger. I also doubt Sahin would come to MLS at his age.

Detroit_TFC
07-10-2013, 02:59 PM
If we don't get Forlan I can live. Clearly the board has ok'ed TL and KP to pursue a multimillion dollar signing whoever it may be. Leiweke wants it to be a top name for both competitive and commercial reasons, again, got no problem with that. I'm mainly worried that a lot of chasing happens and no one gets signed. Forget about what that does for this season, this season is toast - we need to go into next season with some core elements in place, 2 or 3 of those have to happen this transfer window.

notthesun
07-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Jackson just signed for Eintracht Braunschweig so he's not coming here. Can't say I really wanted him either.

Gazza
07-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Is Joe Cole under contract? I had a horrible nightmare that we signed Joe Cole. Woke up in a cold sweat.

T-boy
07-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Alonso would be an interesting target. At 31 he's gone a couple of years in him.

Milanista
07-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Alonso would be an interesting target. At 31 he's gone a couple of years in him.

at 31 he will have more than a couple of yrs left lol...players can play quality football past 35, specially in the mls. He would be a dream though...Would love to see us do what mtl has done, even after di vaio and nesta leave, you will see more italians just re-up with squad. Even if we build a relationship with spaniards, itals, portuguese...pretty smart way to run a club imo

moralis
07-10-2013, 06:57 PM
It seems Internacional of Brazil are seriously looking at signing Javier Saviola and Nilmar. Saviola on a free transfer and Nilmar for what's believed to be 7 million euros. This is because Internacional will sell their top striker Leandro Damiao for about 20 million euros to possibly Napoli.

If this happens TFC's chances of acquiring Forlan get more realistic. Obviously TFC would have to pay a transfer fee. Not sure how much, but could be between 3-5 million dollars.

Internacional of Brazil also said they hope to finalize these deals by Friday. Google translate is somewhat sketchy. Believe me though.

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.lancenet.com.br/internacional/Twitter-Inter-conversas-Nilmar-Saviola_0_953304710.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3DPelo%2BTwitter,%2Bdiretor%2Bdo%2BInte r%2Bconfirma%2Bconversas%2Bcom%2BNilmar%2Be%2BSavi ola%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D7xk%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26channel%3Drcs

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lancenet.com.br%2Finternacional %2FInter-proposta-Al-Rayyan-Filho-voltar_0_953304840.html

barticusz
07-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Atletico Mineiro has a 2-0 lead over Newell's Old Boys. 90+ right now.

Aggregate is tied 2-2.

Here's hoping AM can win the match and knock Newell out.. and then.. Urruti to TFC?

Also of note.. Urruti not in starting lineup.. Newell's has used their subs and he was not one of them. I'm not sure if he is on the bench or not.

barticusz
07-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Urruti not selected as part of the first 5 shooters for Newell's.

He is on the bench.

bones
07-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Urruti not selected as part of the first 5 shooters for Newell's.

He is on the bench.

http://www.firstrow1.eu/watch/194942/2/watch-atletico-mineiro-vs-newells-old-boys.html

OgtheDim
07-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Ronaldinho gets the winner on PK's...........a nice save at the end too.

barticusz
07-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Well I guess it's safe to say Urruti will be hoping on a plane first thing tomorrow.. right? :canada:

bones
07-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Ronaldinho gets the winner on PK's...........a nice save at the end too.

you beat me to it.. but I was typing Jar Jar Binks
http://bananbra.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/jarjarronaldinho.jpg

ag futbol
07-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Well, I think they'll feel safe selling Urruti now.

Watched the game with a bunch of CAM fans on Dundas West, total nut house.

mcolvy
07-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Sapong is headed to Orlando? The kid was a stud two years ago!! He is better then most of our roster. Sapong > Braun

Stouffville_RPB
07-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Colin Udoh ‏@ColinUdoh (https://twitter.com/ColinUdoh) 10m (https://twitter.com/ColinUdoh/status/355317379485544450) Expect announcement of an African international to a major MLS franchise within the hour
This was retweeted by MLS

Drogba to TFC?

Ultra & Proud
07-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Colin Udoh ‏@ColinUdoh (https://twitter.com/ColinUdoh) 10m (https://twitter.com/ColinUdoh/status/355317379485544450) Expect announcement of an African international to a major MLS franchise within the hour

Drogba to TFC?

I doubt here but who knows. Doesn't NY have his discovery rights?

Stouffville_RPB
07-11-2013, 08:47 AM
^ no idea if NY has his rights.

I doubt it is Drogba to TFC just throwing it out there since his name was brought up

Canary10
07-11-2013, 08:48 AM

Drogba to TFC?

Guess we'll know shortly.

Ultra & Proud
07-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Yup. NYRB do have the discovery on him.

The Red Bulls had put in a discovery claim on Drogba last year, along with one on Kaka. But while a source within MLS confirmed that there is still right now considerable interest in bringing the 35-year-old Ivorian forward to the league, the Red Bulls “are not involved in this proposed deal” and Drogba is “not on their radar.’’

Would they really do it though? Drogba & Henry?

Canary10
07-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Yup. NYRB do have the discovery on him.

Would they really do it though? Drogba & Henry?

Drogba and Henry v. Forlan would make for a very fun next home match for TFC.

Ultra & Proud
07-11-2013, 08:53 AM
I just hope it's not us.

Wolves_On_Tour
07-11-2013, 09:00 AM
This work week has been very unproductive. I hope we just sign a slough of players today so I can actually get some work done! #TheSuspenseIsKillingMe

tfcleeds
07-11-2013, 09:19 AM
They did say 'major' MLS franchise, so doubt it's us. ;)

T-boy
07-11-2013, 09:20 AM
I just hope it's not us.

Why? I think Drogba would score for fun in the MLS, even at his age. He's a big strong guy, and a typical forward who scores a lot in this league. If Cooper can score well here, then even a 40 year old Drogba could score 20 a season!

cincy
07-11-2013, 09:21 AM
They did say 'major' MLS franchise, so doubt it's us. ;)I almost said that .. but @colinudoh did tweet NOT a MAJOR African player

McBrace
07-11-2013, 09:23 AM
For an aging player, Drogba did pretty well in Turkey. 5 goals in 10 apps. I don't think he would find this league all that difficult.

T-boy
07-11-2013, 09:24 AM
at 31 he will have more than a couple of yrs left lol...players can play quality football past 35, specially in the mls. He would be a dream though...Would love to see us do what mtl has done, even after di vaio and nesta leave, you will see more italians just re-up with squad. Even if we build a relationship with spaniards, itals, portuguese...pretty smart way to run a club imo

I say "a couple of years left" because Alsonso has never been the fastest player. For a midfielder that can catch up to you in the MLS (see Frings as a good example) after you've passed 33 years plus. He may well have more than 2 years left, but its not a guarantee for the type of player he is. His passing would be the best in the league though, that's for sure!

cincy
07-11-2013, 09:24 AM
It's not Drogba

Ultra & Proud
07-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Drogba would be good in this league yes but we need (a) creative attacking mid(s).

jloome
07-11-2013, 09:28 AM
It's not Drogba

Good. Motivational issues at this level, I imagine.

Who is it?

Ajax TFC
07-11-2013, 09:31 AM
I think something would have leaked a while ago if it was Drogba and the announcement is about to happen.

Or anyone big for that matter

cincy
07-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Good. Motivational issues at this level, I imagine.

Who is it?I don't know who it is .. but the source said NOT a MAJOR African DP. I'd put Drogba in that MAJOR category... He did say used to be a MAJOR player

cincy
07-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Looks like this guy to NYRBhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrahim_Sekagya

Canary10
07-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Looks like this guy to either NY/LAhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrahim_Sekagya

Shit the Red Bulls are getting Ibra?

cincy
07-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Shit the Red Bulls are getting Ibra? Now its a non DP http://www.kickoff.com/news/35644/former-uganda-defender-ibrahim-sekagya-has-joined-mls-club-new-york-red-bull-

Stouffville_RPB
07-11-2013, 09:57 AM
If it wasn't clear that Eckersley and O'Dea were too much of a cap hit vs their production I think Nelsen made it VERY clear to the media today.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 37m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/355329659275198465) Nelsen: "We’ll get two or three more players this window, we’ll slowly get better. Next year there’s quite a bit more relief on the cap."

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 33m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/355330054663839744) Nelsen on cap issues: "You can’t spend a certain amount of money on certain positions...The team’s been spending for the sake of spending."

Spending over 600k on LB and RB just isn't something that can be done in a 3m cap world unless you have cheap talent in other key areas.

tfcleeds
07-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Never heard of him.

Richard
07-11-2013, 09:59 AM
My bet is they try to renegotiate Ecks contract then get his residency so he is a domestic. As for Odea, I think he probably goes back to Europe.

cincy
07-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Never heard of him.ya after that teaser tweet, it is a letdown

Canary10
07-11-2013, 10:03 AM
If it wasn't clear that Eckersley and O'Dea were too much of a cap hit vs their production I think Nelsen made it VERY clear to the media today.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 37m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/355329659275198465) Nelsen: "We’ll get two or three more players this window, we’ll slowly get better. Next year there’s quite a bit more relief on the cap."

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 33m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/355330054663839744) Nelsen on cap issues: "You can’t spend a certain amount of money on certain positions...The team’s been spending for the sake of spending."

Spending over 600k on LB and RB just isn't something that can be done in a 3m cap world unless you have cheap talent in other key areas.

The article in the physical Globe today said over $700,000 and 1/4 of the salary cap go to O'Dea and Eckersley.

Stouffville_RPB
07-11-2013, 10:30 AM
The article in the physical Globe today said over $700,000 and 1/4 of the salary cap go to O'Dea and Eckersley.

I was just going off of the last salary numbers I could remember for them... either way it isn't smart to do that, if you are going to put 25% of your cap into 2 positions left and right back are probably the last 2 on the list.

Canary10
07-11-2013, 10:33 AM
I was just going off of the last salary numbers I could remember for them... either way it isn't smart to do that, if you are going to put 25% of your cap into 2 positions left and right back are probably the last 2 on the list.

Absolutely. In fact, MLS teams tend to go cheap on these two positions and get away with less skilled players there.

My understanding, though, is that Eckersley at least has another year. I think O'Dea as well. Or is that just an option? Nelsen makes it sound like their contracts are done at the end of this year.

tfcmanu
07-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Major League Soccer ‏@MLS 7m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/MLS/status/355348923591831553) Lots of moves happening right now. Stay tuned.

tfcleeds
07-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Major League Soccer ‏@MLS 7m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/MLS/status/355348923591831553) Lots of moves happening right now. Stay tuned.Hard to be very enthusiastic if they don't involve us.

19Barrett19
07-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Bendik
Eks----cadwell---henry---o'dea
------------Laba----------
Osorio------------------convey
-----------forlan--------------
----urrutti---------brockie

Subs
New1
Boss
Richter
Russel
Earnshaw
Hall

mowe
07-11-2013, 12:13 PM

WOW. That's unbelievable. That by itself is enough proof that Mariner had no clue what he was doing. In MLS you just can't spend that much money on two defenders. What makes it worse is that they are at best slightly above average.

ProfessorDamage
07-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 3h (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/KurtLarSUN/status/355328822494760960) Nelsen: "If we bring in a player right now and the foundation isn’t there to facilitate a player of a certain caliber then it’s a waste.

Nelsen: We have to get the squad right - the salary cap right … We’ve got to get everything sorted out. The foundation has to be right."

So WTF does that mean? We wait and not bring in a DP this transfer window while he "gets the foundation right?" Or that a big-name DP is coming and the only way he'll make an impact is if those around him provide service/general quality? I don't like either interpretation, but prefer the latter. We need help YESTERDAY.

Canary10
07-11-2013, 12:29 PM
WOW. That's unbelievable. That by itself is enough proof that Mariner had no clue what he was doing. In MLS you just can't spend that much money on two defenders. What makes it worse is that they are at best slightly above average.

Meanwhile Chris Klute (anyone heard of him), signed a permanent deal with Colorado today. Has five assists in 17 games since starting with Colorado. Don't know his new salary but he was paid $46,500 up to now.

tfcleeds
07-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Still shaking my head over letting Silva go if replacements weren't imminent. Sure could have used him, even on the bench, for this weekend.

Ultra & Proud
07-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Who knows. Maybe paperwork is in. I would imagine that the MLS HQ's system is a convoluted mess and since everything is bogged down with allocation and whatnot I guess things don't happen as fast as in other sports.