PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

T-boy
04-27-2013, 10:43 PM
I like how straight-forward Payne is (something that endeared him to DC supporters). No BS, you know why he's doing what he's doing, plus what he says is so sensible.

He knows we're quite a few players away from having a competitive team.

Agreed, Nelson and Payne have both indicated that they are looking for a number of players to sign. They clearly think they are some way from their final squad. I think its going to be hard to judge them until they get somewhat of the players they want. Until that time, just enjoy it for what it is, and we can hopefully pick up a few more points until these players come in.

Auzzy
04-27-2013, 11:14 PM
How I miss Soolsma.

Fuck you, Mariner.

QFT!

Detroit_TFC
04-28-2013, 01:02 PM
I mentioned this in the new thread but will here too - Grant Wahl said today that Herculez Gomez is interested in returning to MLS, Seattle and Toronto identified as two teams who have shown interest in signing him. Seems like he was being serious, but two teams that Herc has tangled with? Herc also had a public mano-a-mano with Don Garber on twitter earlier this week about KC still holding his rights.

OgtheDim
04-28-2013, 05:39 PM
I was just thinking his tweet had a different purpose this morning.

Gomez is a combative fun professional. He would be a slightly younger version of Danny K and fit in well with an Earnshaw.

And he would become a hero to any team he went to.

Mind you, if I was going to dream about taking anybody from Santos, I'd go for Felipe Baloy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felipe_Baloy).

Abou Sky
04-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Why we ever let Soolsma go I'll never know.....oh yeah, Mariner......

I'm sure Nelsen would love to have him - he may have been slow but he could play the ball and cross

He isn't getting many minutes in Holland, maybe we could get him back?

Yohan
04-28-2013, 06:13 PM
I was just thinking his tweet had a different purpose this morning.

Gomez is a combative fun professional. He would be a slightly younger version of Danny K and fit in well with an Earnshaw.

And he would become a hero to any team he went to.

Mind you, if I was going to dream about taking anybody from Santos, I'd go for Felipe Baloy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felipe_Baloy).
Not anything like Danny K IMO. More of a slasher than poacher. Think Kenny Cooper but with better finish. Gets a lot of his goals from outside the box. Sometimes used as a wide forward in 4-3-3

Yohan
04-28-2013, 06:14 PM
I wish this would happen. Except Soolsma is probably very unhappy with the way he got booted from last time.

ensco
04-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Not sure Soolsma was worth an international slot given the gaping issue in his game (lack of foot speed).

No one else in this league wants him.

Yohan
04-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Not sure Soolsma was worth an international slot given the gaping issue in his game (lack of foot speed).

No one else in this league wants him.
the difference between Bostock and Soolsma is that Bostock is better technical player, but Soolsma was more effective. Soolsma needed half a step on a defender to whip in an accurate cross or beat him 1v1.

you don't need bombing speed down the flanks to be a good winger in MLS, as long as you have other abilities to be effective. (see Brad Davis)

Morlesio14
04-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Slow wingers are awesome,

T-boy
04-28-2013, 08:32 PM
I was never a mssive Soolsma fan. He was alright, had his moments, but if we want to improve overall, we need to be hitting higher than him in quality.

Ajax TFC
04-28-2013, 08:49 PM
I believe that's due to a major injury he picked up early in the season. Something like an ACL. Plus it's hard to get accurate information and individual stats on the Eerste Divisie. It's a shame really, I was hoping he could make it up to the Eredivisie after a solid season, however it's possible that Excelsior could get relegated (they're only two points ahead of last) if the Topklasse winner should chose to be promoted.

I would take him back in a second, but I doubt that he would come back. I think he mainly came here because of Winter in the first place.

Yohan
04-28-2013, 08:50 PM
I was never a mssive Soolsma fan. He was alright, had his moments, but if we want to improve overall, we need to be hitting higher than him in quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GujgXhYo1W8

T-boy
04-28-2013, 08:59 PM
^^^ exactly, he had his moments, as I said. But overall his form was up and down. If we want to improve, we need somebody with consistency, we need a whole team with consistency! I can find a nice highlights real about any player and make them look great in little 3 second bursts! That doesn't mean to say they are great. Just my opinion, of course :)

Ajax TFC
04-28-2013, 08:59 PM
quality is relative. You can have all the skill in the world and still be ineffective. Soolsma was relatively low on skill and real low on speed, yet he managed to be one of the most effective players we've had since he was able to outwit almost every fullback he went up against. I'd rather have a low skill player who can execute his role extremely well and be incredibly effective than one with lots of skill but doesn't use it right. And in this league you aren't going to get many players who have both skill and superior football IQ. The ones that do have both are usually among the highest paid on the squad. Soolsma didn't even make the average top 20 salary, so I would say he was excellent bang for the money and didn't inhibit the team's ability to bring in superior talents.

Pint
04-28-2013, 09:01 PM
The Soolsma DK connections was really starting to heat up last season before he was let go.

Never understood the move and still think he would be our best winger right now.

West220Side
04-28-2013, 09:02 PM
i posted this before about Soolsma... why make a fresh post:

Nick Soolsma

24 Years of Age
$110,000 Salary
Right Winger
31 League Appearances
3 Goals with 7 Assists
Don't forget his goal in Los Angeles during the quarter-finals

The only negative is that he takes up an international spot, and he's known as one of "Winters signings" which was suspected could be troublesome for Paul Mariner. He's played good. Its not as if he's off every night getting smashed before game day, can't judge the guy from one poor decision. Havn't there been multiple pictures from clubs of de Guzman partying before game day in Toronto? He's paid for what he produces $80,000 to $110,000 is appropriate so you can't say he's over paid. He's fairly young. One of his gifts is how he's figured out how to beat MLS defenders quite simply and deliver a solid cross from the right side of play onto Koev.

T-boy
04-28-2013, 09:03 PM
In the end of the day, I have no idea why we go on and on about players we USED to have at TFC. We need to look to the future. Almost every player that has left the club would never come back. Let's move forward. Digging up favourite players from the past isn't going to do anything to the current team, and they won't be resigning for us, that's almost a certainty! I'd rather talk about our expectations for Laba than our desire to bring back old players. Sure, Vitti, Soolsma, Stefanovic, and many others should all come back to play and do better here, but will they....no, unfortunately never! Let's move forward, not backwards :)

Richard
04-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Deceptive is the word to describe Soolsma. You think he has low skill and slow but in a blink he would beat you. He has good ball skils for what he does, there is a certain finese and intelligence about him.

Yohan
04-28-2013, 09:10 PM
^^^ exactly, he had his moments, as I said. But overall his form was up and down. If we want to improve, we need somebody with consistency, we need a whole team with consistency! I can find a nice highlights real about any player and make them look great in little 3 second bursts! That doesn't mean to say they are great. Just my opinion, of course :)funny. I think consistency is one word I'd use to describe Soolsma's time with TFC

starter
04-28-2013, 09:18 PM
I believe that's due to a major injury he picked up early in the season. Something like an ACL. Plus it's hard to get accurate information and individual stats on the Eerste Divisie. It's a shame really, I was hoping he could make it up to the Eredivisie after a solid season, however it's possible that Excelsior could get relegated (they're only two points ahead of last) if the Topklasse winner should chose to be promoted.

I would take him back in a second, but I doubt that he would come back. I think he mainly came here because of Winter in the first place.

Would love to have him back!

Auzzy
04-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Yohan, thanks for those Soolsma highlights! I had forgotten most of those.

Sure, Vitti, Soolsma, Stefanovic, and many others should all come back to play and do better here, but will they....no, unfortunately never! Let's move forward, not backwards :)

Huge difference between those three players being that Soolsma was very effective with TFC, especially for the salary he was paid. And for most of his time here, he was extremely consistent, beating fullbacks & putting in multiple good crosses just about every game. (Of course there wasn't always an effective striker at the end of those crosses, especially when Koevs wasn't playing.)

Sure it can make sense to remember previous players: 1) In cases like these, to realize what a silly decision it was to let him go. Just like Cronin & a few others. Who knows, maybe it can help to avoid similar dumb decisions in the future. 2) To realize what type of player is missing now. TFC doesn't have anybody at the moment who can work the wing & whip in crosses nearly as well as Soolsma. That will become even more noticeable when Koevermans is back -- with our current players he won't be getting much of the service he needs. 3) Who knows, maybe Soolsma would come back under new management, especially if Koevermans starts playing again, and if Soolsma has been recuperating from injury & hasn't had much playing time in the Netherlands. Doesn't hurt to ask; or at least to chat about it in this thread!

I realize Soolsma's international spot was a strike against him. However, these days we're trying the likes of Hogan Ephraim on the wing: also international; MUCH less effective than Soolsma; and I bet Ephraim is being paid MUCH more than Soolsma was. Maybe current management needs to be reminded to look around in other countries for decent talent.

Until we get another winger as good and as (relatively) inexpensive as Soolsma, we will probably keep talking about him!

MartinUtd
04-28-2013, 10:02 PM
If healthy, I'd take Soolsma back in a heartbeat. Great first touch, ball was always glued to his feet and he could find his target with ease. What more do you want from a winger? Especially at what? $80k or something like that? Dude was a bargain.

He'd still be here if Mariner didn't have that drunken night as an excuse to cut him and thus, rebrand the team after Aron Winter was gone. God I hate what Mariner did. His legacy still haunts us with the greatest haircut of the modern era as well.

Yohan
04-28-2013, 10:11 PM
If it was a choice between Reggie Lambe and Nick Soolsma...

TFC07
04-28-2013, 10:19 PM
I would take Soolsma over Lambe. Soolsma is more skilled and can actually cross the ball into the box. Soolsma is probably best winger in TFC history (not saying much besides TFC have been doing a bad job finding a great wingers). Bostock is a central midfielder playing as a winger (reason why Bostock isn't as an effective as he could be), but he still have potential become a good player as a winger for TFC.

TFC07
04-28-2013, 10:23 PM

Huge difference between those three players being that Soolsma was very effective with TFC, especially for the salary he was paid. And for most of his time here, he was extremely consistent, beating fullbacks & putting in multiple good crosses just about every game. (Of course there wasn't always an effective striker at the end of those crosses, especially when Koevs wasn't playing.)

Sure it can make sense to remember previous players: 1) In cases like these, to realize what a silly decision it was to let him go. Just like Cronin & a few others. Who knows, maybe it can help to avoid similar dumb decisions in the future. 2) To realize what type of player is missing now. TFC doesn't have anybody at the moment who can work the wing & whip in crosses nearly as well as Soolsma. That will become even more noticeable when Koevermans is back -- with our current players he won't be getting much of the service he needs. 3) Who knows, maybe Soolsma would come back under new management, especially if Koevermans starts playing again, and if Soolsma has been recuperating from injury & hasn't had much playing time in the Netherlands. Doesn't hurt to ask; or at least to chat about it in this thread!

I realize Soolsma's international spot was a strike against him. However, these days we're trying the likes of Hogan Ephraim on the wing: also international; MUCH less effective than Soolsma; and I bet Ephraim is being paid MUCH more than Soolsma was. Maybe current management needs to be reminded to look around in other countries for decent talent.

Until we get another winger as good and as (relatively) inexpensive as Soolsma, we will probably keep talking about him! Agreed especially since current state of some European countries' economy, TFC could potentially sign some really good players for a bargain, but it seems KP is bent on signing "latin" players (based on his recent interview).

DoubleUp
04-28-2013, 11:10 PM
I would take Soolsma over Lambe. Soolsma is more skilled and can actually cross the ball into the box. Soolsma is probably best winger in TFC history (not saying much besides TFC have been doing a bad job finding a great wingers). Bostock is a central midfielder playing as a winger (reason why Bostock isn't as an effective as he could be), but he still have potential become a good player as a winger for TFC.

No. Bostock doesnt have enough technique and footy Iq to play as Central midfielder and thats why he plays as winger.

I realize alot posters dont really have a full grasp on the midfield position, and barely understands its importance.

The midfield is the engine room, those players are supposed to be the smartest most technical players on the pitch.

Ajax TFC
04-28-2013, 11:24 PM
If healthy, I'd take Soolsma back in a heartbeat. Great first touch, ball was always glued to his feet and he could find his target with ease. What more do you want from a winger? Especially at what? $80k or something like that? Dude was a bargain.
Plus he could pop up in the box on occasion to coolly slot in a goal. Something else our wingers don't really know how to do (they just stay out wide until they get the ball and don't recognize space in the middle to run into).

He'd still be here if Mariner didn't have that drunken night as an excuse to cut him and thus, rebrand the team after Aron Winter was gone. God I hate what Mariner did. His legacy still haunts us with the greatest haircut of the modern era as well.
This is why I and some others were calling for Mariner's sacking before the end of the season when many others were saying we might as well give him some time to see what he does. All he succeeded in doing was trading away our first round pick and chasing away every skilled player but Silva. Don't get me wrong, I accepted that Winter didn't have everything it takes to coach here, but Mariner turned out to be exactly what was likely to happen when an architect/engineering executive hired the replacement.

In summary? Fucking glad all those fucks are no longer in control of this team and we actually have people who know the sport (and sport in general) throughout the organization who are all on the same page.

BTW, people should refer back to this and threads from last year whenever they feel that things aren't going well. Right mow they're going fantastically compared to what it was not too long ago. I remember I was prepared to give up on this team for a while back when Anselmi said that Cochrane and Mariner would be in charge this year. Can you all imagine where we would be right now if that had happened? For one, We'd probably have a 200k+ nick Ledgerwood patrolling the midfield right now instead of 200k Laba. Think about that next time you think this team isn't heading in the right direction.

:topic:
This probably won't happen this summer, but I hear the new MLSE president said that TFC fans deserve a world class player and wants to bring the "next Beckham" (face of the league I guess) to TFC. This should make this thread a bit more interesting in that TFC can now be included in all the speculation whenever a star player expresses interest in coming to MLS. I wonder who we could get who would 1) fit in with the team 2) be the biggest star in MLS. Not that I really want a big name, but I imagine that will be important to them as well if they are going to fork out shedloads of money. I also hope they don't make that kind of move before the team is ready with a solid core. Then again, if we get a player who becomes the face of MLS, they will probably do what they can to make us succeed.

MartinUtd
04-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Oh god, would Ledgerwood have cost $200k?

On the latter point it's definitely going to be interesting playing the speculation game from now on. After watching Quincy Amerikwa play I basically gave up, I was at that point and if the managerial changes didn't take place, I'm not sure if I'd following the team as closely. After Amerikwa scored that open net goal against Liverpool you could see Mariner's raging hard on. A goal against 'pool? Totally justifies everything!

That best player in MLS talk has me thinking. At first it was "Lampard!" (like Beckham, an aging Englishman with a few good years left) but now I'm wondering if they were talking about Laba. I don't know what to expect form the guy, I've seen the hype machine get out of control before so now I'm sticking with cautious optimism.

Auzzy
04-29-2013, 12:16 AM
^ They definitely weren't talking about Laba when Payne was talking about getting the "best player in MLS." (If Payne even said that -- so far just an unconfirmed post from a single person here on the board.) That "best player"would be a new signing, in the summer or later, not Laba who is now already signed.

notthesun
04-29-2013, 12:22 AM
No. Bostock doesnt have enough technique and footy Iq to play as Central midfielder and thats why he plays as winger.

I realize alot posters dont really have a full grasp on the midfield position, and barely understands its importance.

The midfield is the engine room, those players are supposed to be the smartest most technical players on the pitch.

He probably meant CAM and he's right. Bostock's played in the hole his entire career, he's never been a wide player. We're just using him there because we don't have other options.

TFC07
04-29-2013, 12:33 AM

He probably meant CAM and he's right. Bostock's played in the hole his entire career, he's never been a wide player. We're just using him there because we don't have other options.
Yes, I meant CAM. Bostock does have enough technique/skills to play in midfield in MLS (I would say he's one of most skilled players we have right now on this roster). People forget that Bostock is only 21 years old. He still have enough time to develop his game and IQ to become successful player in MLS.

Yohan
04-29-2013, 01:11 AM
Yes, I meant CAM. Bostock does have enough technique/skills to play in midfield in MLS (I would say he's one of most skilled players we have right now on this roster). People forget that Bostock is only 21 years old. He still have enough time to develop his game and IQ to become successful player in MLS.
it doesn't help that the off the ball movement by TFC players is so terrible that Bostock often has no choice to try to dribble 1v1 against a defender. the passing option isn't there, especially on wing

Ivy
04-29-2013, 08:39 AM
http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/4/29/4280980/toronto-fc-chasing-herculez-gomez

T-boy
04-29-2013, 08:42 AM

In that equation, I would actually take Lambe as he works hard off the ball and does a lot all over the field. BUT, if I was to compare Soolsma with Ephraim or Bostock, I would take Soolsma both times.

OgtheDim
04-29-2013, 09:38 AM
^ They definitely weren't talking about Laba when Payne was talking about getting the "best player in MLS." (If Payne even said that -- so far just an unconfirmed post from a single person here on the board.) That "best player"would be a new signing, in the summer or later, not Laba who is now already signed.

It was the new boss who said that.

ag futbol
04-29-2013, 10:24 AM
http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/4/29/4280980/toronto-fc-chasing-herculez-gomez
That's kind of interesting... Not that interesting though.

Regarding a lot of the names being thrown out there: Lambe, Soolsma, Bostock, etc... I'd rather move forward than backwards. Particularly Soolsma, lack of pace kills it for me. With the type of football we want to play (high pressure, capitalize quickly on mistakes, winger must play two-way) he is not a fit.

This league has an adjustment period so I would not be too quick to push anyone out the door. That being said I haven't seen enough from any of our wide players to suggest they can stick.

ManUtd4ever
04-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Considering how he's thrashed us in the past, it would be nice to have Gomez on our side.

MartinUtd
04-29-2013, 10:34 AM
That Gomez articles reads like a Fox News hit piece.

Gomez to TFC?

Obama a secret muslim?

We ask the questions, you decide.

Yohan
04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
That Gomez articles reads like a Fox News hit piece.

Gomez to TFC?

Obama a secret muslim?

We ask the questions, you decide.
Normally I'd dismiss this just as a typical trade rumour, but if Grant Wahl is saying this, I'd give it a little more credibility than normal

starter
04-29-2013, 10:42 AM
That's kind of interesting... Not that interesting though.

Regarding a lot of the names being thrown out there: Lambe, Soolsma, Bostock, etc... I'd rather move forward than backwards. Particularly Soolsma, lack of pace kills it for me. With the type of football we want to play (high pressure, capitalize quickly on mistakes, winger must play two-way) he is not a fit.

This league has an adjustment period so I would not be too quick to push anyone out the door. That being said I haven't seen enough from any of our wide players to suggest they can stick.

On topic of Soolsma, he was the TFC only player I can think of, who actually improved while with this team, working with ass off while not making the first team. Who is to say with his drive he could not done/become even more?
And despite some perceived awkwardness about him, he was very effective at what he did.
I wish current management gave him a call.

Yohan
04-29-2013, 10:43 AM
On topic of Soolsma, he was the TFC only player I can think of, who actually improved while with this team, working with ass off while not making the first team. Who is to say with his drive he could not done done/become even more?
And despite some perceived awkwardness about him, he was very effective at what he did.
I wish current management gave him a call.
basically was playing in Dutch beer league when TFC picked him up. and just turned only 25

MKR
04-29-2013, 10:47 AM
soolsma was great. Definitrly one of the players that i regretted seeing go. It was especially annoying because it seemed like he got the boot for no real reason. Some people attributed it to the bar police incident and if that was really the case then it's pathetic.

I don't know if i would actively look to bring him back because i don't know if he's really better than the type of guys payne is scouting, but he was definitely better than the majority of what was on the team when he got the boot. It was such a stupid decision at the time.

starter
04-29-2013, 10:57 AM
basically was playing in Dutch beer league when TFC picked him up. and just turned only 25
For Soolsma MLS was a step up, he WAS motivated. It is harder to keep guys like Efraim/Bostok/Eckersley motivated, when their aspirations could be elsewhere.
That is why it is sad to loose a guy like Soolsma, who was doing all the right things to succeed.
Bar incident was just an excuse (for short shorts), and if anything just showed that he was willing to stand up for his buddies.

C.Ronaldo
04-29-2013, 11:47 AM
soolsma was a game closer

He is eactly what he need to shut down games in the last minutes, he holds onto the ball and makes accurate passes.

Letting him go was a terrible move and bringing him back would tell fans it was a mistake. His and DK were and can be lethal together.

Ajax TFC
04-29-2013, 12:36 PM
The interesting thing with that is that he came here from the Hoofdkasse (second tier amateur league, fourth tier overall), then when he went back he signed with Feyenoord's feeder club in the Eerste Divisie, which has just been relegate from the Eredivisie. How many other players have come to TFC and left to a higher level club than what they were at before they came here?

69Chevy396
04-29-2013, 02:26 PM
The interesting thing with that is that he came here from the Hoofdkasse (second tier amateur league, fourth tier overall), then when he went back he signed with Feyenoord's feeder club in the Eerste Divisie, which has just been relegate from the Eredivisie. How many other players have come to TFC and left to a higher level club than what they were at before they came here?
Really? Try everybody.

Ajax TFC
04-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Really? Try everybody.
Okay wise ass, humor me with at least one name.

Richard
04-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Edu.....

Ajax TFC
04-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Edu.....
He was the one other player I was thinking. But we also didn't really scout him, we drafted him. Plus it's pretty hard for someone who came here from NCAA to play for a lower level team when they move on.

Thomas
04-29-2013, 04:54 PM
It's good to see people speaking up for Nick. I remember seeing quite a few posters here (back when we had Soolsma), that were very critical of him. I'd take him back for sure.

69Chevy396
04-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Okay wise ass, humor me with at least one name.
Attakora, Wynne, Casey, Cronin, Edu, Gargan, Nane, now playing for better teams.

v00d00daddy
04-29-2013, 05:41 PM
All you have to do when comparing Bostock and Soolsma is watch that video and make note of how two footed Soolsma is. He plays the ball on both feet more in one 10 second clip than Bostock will in an entire game.

Bostock is a little bit of flash and not much more. His right foot may as well be a kick stand and when you limit yourself that much you'd better be all world on your strong foot....and he's not.

I'd take a Soolsma type player over a Bostock type player any day of the week.

West220Side
04-29-2013, 06:25 PM
All you have to do when comparing Bostock and Soolsma is watch that video and make note of how two footed Soolsma is. He plays the ball on both feet more in one 10 second clip than Bostock will in an entire game.

Bostock is a little bit of flash and not much more. His right foot may as well be a kick stand and when you limit yourself that much you'd better be all world on your strong foot....and he's not.

Let's be fair, Bostock isn't a winger he's naturally supposed to be playing attacking midfield, centre of the pitch. Soolsma was a (right?) winger so putting it on both his feet helped him slide around the defender and whip a cross in. Bostock only really NATURALLY should be running at a defender, does a fancy move and shoots. Much like his very first game against Kansas. He cut into the box and the defend fouled him. That's what he's naturally equiped to do. He shouldn't be making runs along the wing for 90 minutes.

We're comparing apples and oranges. That's like me saying god Ashtone Morgan has been awful this year, I miss Nick Garcia.

Ajax TFC
04-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Attakora, Wynne, Casey, Cronin, Edu, Gargan, Nane, now playing for better teams.
I said higher level teams, as in at a higher tier league.
Attakora started his career at TFC and hasn't gone to a higher level team. SJ may be a better team, but they're in the same tier as us.
Cronin - same
Nane started his career here and is now playing in a lower tier - lol
Edu also started his career here and is the only one you mentioned that has gone on to play for a higher level team.
Wynne has stayed in the same tier his whole career. He was in MLS before TFC, and he was and still is in MLS after TFC.
Gargan came from a lower tier but is still playing for MLS teams - he might be the only one you mentioned who actually belongs in that group of players who used TFC to move forward in their careers.
Casey came from the Bundesliga and is now playing in MLS (step down). Besides that he only played two games so you can't really say that he used TFC as a stepping stone.

Remember, we're comparing the level they were at BEFORE coming to TFC to the level they went to after TFC. Sighting draft picks doesn't really count because TFC was essentially their first team. Their careers would have to completely fail and end up playing beer league for them to be at a lower level than where they were when they came to TFC. Heck they could go to where Soolsma CAME from (dutch fourth division) and still be at a higher level than the teams they were at before TFC.

so congratulations, you've named one, arguably two players players who are at a higher level now than where they were before TFC. I guess it does fulfill the "at least one" I asked you to name, but still a lot less than the everybody you claim.

Now lets talk about some fucking player movement

Ajax TFC
04-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Let's be fair, Bostock isn't a winger he's naturally supposed to be playing attacking midfield, centre of the pitch. Soolsma was a (right?) winger so putting it on both his feet helped him slide around the defender and whip a cross in. Bostock only really NATURALLY should be running at a defender, does a fancy move and shoots. Much like his very first game against Kansas. He cut into the box and the defend fouled him. That's what he's naturally equiped to do. He shouldn't be making runs along the wing for 90 minutes.

We're comparing apples and oranges. That's like me saying god Ashtone Morgan has been awful this year, I miss Nick Garcia.
http://www.football.co.uk/tottenham_hotspur/tottenham_hotspur_s_john_bostock_speaks_about_life _in_mls_rss4083078.shtml

“I am an attacking player but my natural position is centre midfielder. There’s a lot of competition in the midfield at the moment so I’m happy to play wing for the team but I’ve grown up in centre midfield.”“I like to attack,” said Bostock. “I like to play on the wings as well.”
Bostock also says he's playing out of his natural position. Although personally I wouldn't trust him defensively at central midfield since he can't even track back on the wing - where who you are supposed to be marking is much more obvious. Maybe if Bruan is out for a while he could get a shot as the 10 behind Silva and Earnshaw. Although even then I don't see him doing nearly as much work off the ball as Silva does so it could still leave us exposed at the back

69Chevy396
04-29-2013, 06:57 PM
I said higher level teams, as in at a higher tier league.
Attakora started his career at TFC and hasn't gone to a higher level team. SJ may be a better team, but they're in the same tier as us.
Cronin - same
Nane started his career here and is now playing in a lower tier - lol
Edu also started his career here and is the only one you mentioned that has gone on to play for a higher level team.
Wynne has stayed in the same tier his whole career. He was in MLS before TFC, and he was and still is in MLS after TFC.
Gargan came from a lower tier but is still playing for MLS teams - he might be the only one you mentioned who actually belongs in that group of players who used TFC to move forward in their careers.
Casey came from the Bundesliga and is now playing in MLS (step down). Besides that he only played two games so you can't really say that he used TFC as a stepping stone.

Remember, we're comparing the level they were at BEFORE coming to TFC to the level they went to after TFC. Sighting draft picks doesn't really count because TFC was essentially their first team. Their careers would have to completely fail and end up playing beer league for them to be at a lower level than where they were when they came to TFC. Heck they could go to where Soolsma CAME from (dutch fourth division) and still be at a higher level than the teams they were at before TFC.

so congratulations, you've named one, arguably two players players who are at a higher level now than where they were before TFC. I guess it does fulfill the "at least one" I asked you to name, but still a lot less than the everybody you claim.

Now lets talk about some fucking player movement
I understood your point, but u may have missed mine. TFC belongs in the USL based on their performance over 7 seasons, so any player who was drafted by us and who now plays in MLS meets your criteria.

Alonso
04-29-2013, 07:33 PM

Word.

He was good value depth.

Ajax TFC
04-29-2013, 07:40 PM
I understood your point, but u may have missed mine. TFC belongs in the USL based on their performance over 7 seasons, so any player who was drafted by us and who now plays in MLS meets your criteria.
lol fair enough. I didn't catch that it was a jab at the level of TFC. Makes sense now

ManUtd4ever
04-29-2013, 07:47 PM

Agreed, although I would like to see what Bostock can do in his natural position at AM, wherein his weak right foot would not be exposed. I would try him as a late game sub for Silva.

Lucky Strike
04-29-2013, 07:58 PM
It's good to see people speaking up for Nick. I remember seeing quite a few posters here (back when we had Soolsma), that were very critical of him. I'd take him back for sure.

100% Maybe it's weird or lame but I sent his Dutch club a message a while back, through Twitter, to tell him we'd love to have him back. Letting him go ranks as one of the worst decisions TFC has made and that's saying a lot. I don't care - I want Soolsma back.

jazzy
04-29-2013, 08:00 PM

That was sweet. He was pure class , a gentleman and our BEST crosser. He took on defenders constanty on the wing, very deceiving, and if he was so average then why did he shine against the mexicans so well. Mariner could not tell talent if it
spoke to him from a beer stein.

Yohan
04-29-2013, 08:03 PM
That was sweet. He was pure class , a gentleman and our BEST crosser. He took on defenders constanty on the wing, very deceiving, and if he was so average then why did he shine against the mexicans so well. Mariner could not tell talent if it
Srsly. If you're good enough to make Santos Laguna shit their pants, you have some talent. I've yet to see a Mexican team having to make a sub just to counter an MLS player in 1st half because he owned them so much except for Soolsma

jazzy
04-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Until we get another winger as good and as (relatively) inexpensive as Soolsma, we will probably keep talking about him!

simply I would rather have Soolsma than Lambe taking up an inter spot. It is quite simple one can predict Reggie Lambe always and give him some contact and he disappears from the game. Soolsma would beat one the majority of the time and relishes contact = making his presence felt.

Stryker
04-29-2013, 09:12 PM
If we're only allowed to have one thread about rumored trades (this being it) than the mods need to start policing it better. Tired of having to go through dozens of posts about everything but new players. Delete off topic posts, warn and ban repeat offenders. Its long overdue.

Joe Kool
04-29-2013, 09:18 PM
If we're only allowed to have one thread about rumored trades (this being it) than the mods need to start policing it better. Tired of having to go through dozens of posts about everything but new players. Delete off topic posts, warn and ban repeat offenders. Its long overdue.

Agree...I kept coming here today to read about possible new player signing info and see that it has become a Soolsma thread. Start a new thread about Soolsma if you want guys...let's get back to topic. Thanks.

MartinUtd
04-29-2013, 09:20 PM

Are the New York Cosmos even a team? I don't even want to address the part about them being better than TFC.

Ajax TFC
04-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Read the thread title: general player moves/speculation/etc
Notice the "speculation/etc". I see very few posts that aren't speculation about who we could/should/want to get, or related to that. It's not a based rumors only thread

Agree...I kept coming here today to read about possible new player signing info and see that it has become a Soolsma thread. Start a new thread about Soolsma if you want guys...let's get back to topic. Thanks.
We're mostly speculating about if we could bring him back. I don't see how that's off topic in a transfer speculation thread. Maybe some stuff is irrelevant, but most seems on topic to me

OgtheDim
04-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Speculation

Bostock has been a CM and thinks he is a CM. And Bostock isn't good enough to be a CM with us. He's not better then Silva. He's maybe better then Bekker, but in comparison costs too much. He's not a DM. His mindset is he has to play the midfield. What he's being told is he's not good enough so try the wing. I don't thinks he's listening. So he's not really a future winger for us.

Couple that mindset with his perceived softness (remember the story about him at a practice going down and being ignored) and I suspect he will not be here for long. Shame, because he's not smart enough yet to be a CM.

Yohan
04-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Speculation

Bostock has been a CM and thinks he is a CM. And Bostock isn't good enough to be a CM with us. He's not better then Silva. He's maybe better then Bekker, but in comparison costs too much. He's not a DM. His mindset is he has to play the midfield. What he's being told is he's not good enough so try the wing. I don't thinks he's listening. So he's not really a future winger for us.

Couple that mindset with his perceived softness (remember the story about him at a practice going down and being ignored) and I suspect he will not be here for long. Shame, because he's not smart enough yet to be a CM.
it'd be easy to dismiss Bostock as suck at CM... if he actually plays a game as CM for TFC. actually, he's an AM, which really has no spot in TFC

Marc"2L"
04-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Speculation

Speculation

This is a good idea

DoubleUp
04-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Well Maybe he should say that.

Imo Bostock is not a Cam, in my football philosophy he is an inexperienced winger or yet to be tested striker.

His awareness is not high enough to play that position successfully, and maybe thats part of the reason he is here.

And yes Tfco7 ofcourse thats what you meant.:rolleyes:

nonc
04-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Payne should try and sign Cleo. He's playing in the J League on loan from Guangzhou. He's younger, cheaper, and better than Gomez. 3 inches taller as well. Would be a great DP fit for TFC imo.

Ron Manager
04-30-2013, 07:48 AM

Soolsma did not leave due to lack of talent or any football related reason. It was off the pitch issues that led to him being shown the door and also why no other team in the league wanted to touch him despite his obvious talent.
Houston was not the only incident for him, the club managed to keep the lid on others from a media perspective, but he had to go.

Joe Kool
04-30-2013, 07:58 AM
We're mostly speculating about if we could bring him back. I don't see how that's off topic in a transfer speculation thread. Maybe some stuff is irrelevant, but most seems on topic to me

Maybe just the way I interpret this thread. I expect to read and write about realistic speculation in here. Bringing Soolsma back is not realistic speculation as far as I am concerned because it is not going to happen and could be better suited for the Past TFC Players thread is all I am saying.

Lucky Strike
04-30-2013, 08:42 AM
David Rowaan ‏@soccercanada 28m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/soccercanada/status/329221474231676928) Daily Mail has Toronto and Vancouver both keeping an eye on soon to be out of contract Jermaine Pennant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jermaine_Pennant

BuSaPuNk
04-30-2013, 08:47 AM
^ sounds like he has his share of problems. If we can't find another quality player he might be worth a look.

flamehawk
04-30-2013, 09:52 AM
David Rowaan ‏@soccercanada28m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/soccercanada/status/329221474231676928)Daily Mail has Toronto and Vancouver both keeping an eye on soon to be out of contract Jermaine Pennant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jermaine_Pennant

Decent enough player, but this trend on focusing on British players worries me in terms of getting value for money under the cap.

jloome
04-30-2013, 09:52 AM
^ sounds like he has his share of problems. If we can't find another quality player he might be worth a look.

Good player. Total dick sometimes, but a good player. Sort of like Bostock, except short and an out-and-out winger.

Someone mentioned above Bostock shouldn't play centrally; he's been a central midfielder his entire career, including when Captaining the England under 19s. If you talk to fans at Swindon, he obviously had personality issues with the coach, because he controlled games from the centre of the pitch. Perhaps it's just his defence is lacking.

JackBauer24
04-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Park Ji-Sung rumoured to Toronto and Vancouver.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/04/30/rumor-central-park-ji-sung-target-toronto-fc

burlington Red
04-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Decent enough player, but this trend on focusing on British players worries me in terms of getting value for money under the cap.

We always seem to be wanting someone with a name, a player from the North of Ireland I thought played very well for NYRB on sat was Jonny Steele. Here's a player that has plied his trade over here for a few yrs, still young enough too at 27.We need to widen the search a bit and pick players like this up before other teams do. There is value out there, doesn't always have to be someone who we all know.I'd rather we were looking at picking up a hungry young mid in this mould who has proved he can play here, than an ageing player like Davies, albeit that horse has bolted........

OgtheDim
04-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Sounds like a few agents in England are mentioning us and Vancouver as bargaining chips; we seem to be the flavour of the week over there.
I doubt any of these will come through, and frankly I don't think we want these players. There are quite a few decent players ending contracts in La Liga who will be cheaper and a better fit.

Ajax TFC
04-30-2013, 11:58 AM
There are quite a few decent players ending contracts in La Liga who will be cheaper and a better fit.
That's not a bad idea. Pretty much the entire league is bankrupt. Most of the best players will get snapped up by other European teams, but I'm sure there are some lesser players with good technical skills and football IQ who would be glad to come to MLS since it would mean that they would actually get paid.

OgtheDim
04-30-2013, 12:17 PM
It was Payne who hinted at that on the weekend. "Good value" he said. He as much as said that we only got Laba because La Liga, the usual place for an Argentine to go to on his next step, can't afford the fees.

Derko
04-30-2013, 12:21 PM
That's not a bad idea. Pretty much the entire league is bankrupt. Most of the best players will get snapped up by other European teams, but I'm sure there are some lesser players with good technical skills and football IQ who would be glad to come to MLS since it would mean that they would actually get paid.

And hopefully those with the skill and IQ can actually be effective and consistent, unlike our other 2 who plied their trade in La Liga.

JohnnyEnglish
04-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Having just gone through the Visa process myself, i'm not sure how viable Pennant would be. Surely he is criminally ineligible to even enter Canada?

That aside, he would be too much of a cap hit for not enough product. Doesn't exactly fit in with Nelson's Leadership and work ethic either.

Lucky Strike
04-30-2013, 01:25 PM
David Rowaan ‏@soccercanada 4m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/soccercanada/status/329298321271312386) Bryce Alderson heading to Charleston Battery on loan. Hopefully he gets the much needed playing time there.

I thought this was a TFC Academy player but I'm just not sure.

Yohan
04-30-2013, 01:27 PM
David Rowaan ‏@soccercanada4m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/soccercanada/status/329298321271312386)Bryce Alderson heading to Charleston Battery on loan. Hopefully he gets the much needed playing time there.

I thought this was a TFC Academy player but I'm just not sure.
Whitecaps player

Morlesio14
04-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Park Jim sung still rumored, interesting.

ManUtd4ever
04-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Who is Park Jim Sung? Is he any good?

g:D

Yohan
04-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Who is Park Jim Sung? Is he any good?

g:D
I hear he's the cousin of another TFC targeted defender Park De Bus...

Wonder if Park does sign for TFC, how much of a random Vancouver would want for his rights...

BuSaPuNk
04-30-2013, 05:38 PM
OMG Park De Bus! Best laugh today. Seriously we need to find a guy with this name put it on a jersey.

ManUtd4ever
04-30-2013, 05:52 PM
I hear he's the cousin of another TFC targeted defender Park De Bus...

Wonder if Park does sign for TFC, how much of a random Vancouver would want for his rights...

Well played.

CBTFC
04-30-2013, 08:26 PM
“I can call up Ji right now if you want and see if he wants to come. I speak to Ji all the time and he has me on his speed dial if he ever wants to come to MLS.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/04/30/toronto-fc-would-love-have-likes-herculez-gomez-jermaine-pennant-park-ji-sun

CALL HIM RYAN! lol :flare:

ryan
04-30-2013, 09:20 PM
On Pennant

In May 2010 Pennant became engaged to Lara Murphy and they have a son called Trey who was born in August 2010.The relationship ended with Lara Murphy when his son was a year old as he cheated on her with glamour model Alice Goodwin. In January 2011 Pennant's Porsche Turbo with his personal number plate was found abandoned at a railway station in Zaragoza with five months worth of parking tickets. Pennant claimed he had forgotten he owned the car. In April 2012 Pennant was arrested for drunk driving, driving while disqualified and without insurance after being involved in a traffic collision. The following month he was banned from driving for three years and given an eight-week jail sentence, suspended for a year.

TFC07
04-30-2013, 09:29 PM
On Pennant

I personally don't care about his off-field issues as long he can contribute on-field for us.

T-boy
04-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Good player. Total dick sometimes, but a good player. Sort of like Bostock, except short and an out-and-out winger.

Someone mentioned above Bostock shouldn't play centrally; he's been a central midfielder his entire career, including when Captaining the England under 19s. If you talk to fans at Swindon, he obviously had personality issues with the coach, because he controlled games from the centre of the pitch. Perhaps it's just his defence is lacking.

Di Canio actually liked Bostock so much that he offered to pay Bostock's wages from his own pocket to keep him at the club. Di Canio then had a big fught with the Swindon owners about money available for players. So, Bostock and Di Canio generally got on well. My father saw Bostock play against Oxford, playing as central attacking midfield, and he apparently had an excellent game.

ryan
05-01-2013, 07:09 AM
I personally don't care about his off-field issues as long he can contribute on-field for us.

Well it's hard to contribute on the field if you can't make it there.

brad
05-01-2013, 07:31 AM

Off the field issues more often than not affect on the field performance. Pennant was one of the most talented English players of his generation and was tipped to be a huge star. His off the field antics killed him.

brad
05-01-2013, 07:33 AM
On Pennant

He was also under house arrest in England I recall - had the ankle bracelet and all. Supremely talented winger, never got it together due to his off field issues.

ag futbol
05-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Off the field issues more often than not affect on the field performance. Pennant was one of the most talented English players of his generation and was tipped to be a huge star. His off the field antics killed him.
Agreed, although sometimes this stuff gets overblown, Pennant's history is more than the usual professional athlete off-field antics

Pint
05-01-2013, 09:46 AM
@KurtLarSUN: With Urruti deal scuttled, based on what Nelsen told me yesterday, a fairly big signing could be in the cards. He was subtle about it. #TFC

Derko
05-01-2013, 09:48 AM
@KurtLarSUN: With Urruti deal scuttled, based on what Nelsen told me yesterday, a fairly big signing could be in the cards. He was subtle about it. #TFC

Nelson seemed a little wry and subtle about the Laba signing as well

Canary10
05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Lots of mixed messages coming from TFC at the moment. Didn't Payne say they are looking at a DP who would immediately be the best player in MLS? Then Leiweke saying there isn't enough time to get a big deal done for the summer transfer window? Wonder what the truth is.

OgtheDim
05-01-2013, 10:09 AM
The truth is Leiweke and Payne indicated that said DP maybe awhile in showing up...more likely summer Payne said. I have serious doubts that any DP would show up signed before the May 6 window ends.

Canary10
05-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Leiweke was saying the summer transfer window isn't enough time.

brad
05-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Lots of mixed messages coming from TFC at the moment. Didn't Payne say they are looking at a DP who would immediately be the best player in MLS? Then Leiweke saying there isn't enough time to get a big deal done for the summer transfer window? Wonder what the truth is.

Could be that Payne had one player identified that they thought that they could get this summer, and when Leiweke came in the focus changed to another player?

The truth is Leiweke and Payne indicated that said DP maybe awhile in showing up...more likely summer Payne said. I have serious doubts that any DP would show up signed before the May 6 window ends.

I suspect anyone coming this summer would be a European based player out of contract June 1st.

Leiweke was saying the summer transfer window isn't enough time.

Wonder if there is a different target now that is not available until next summer.

Ajax TFC
05-01-2013, 12:11 PM
I don't get the "the summer window is too short" issue. I'm pretty sure we can talk to and sign players before it opens, we just can't add them to the squad until it does. See the Koevermans and Frings signings as examples of this. And clubs around the world do it as well.

Canary10
05-01-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't get the "the summer window is too short" issue. I'm pretty sure we can talk to and sign players before it opens, we just can't add them to the squad until it does. See the Koevermans and Frings signings as examples of this. And clubs around the world do it as well.

Really depends on the quality of the player. I suspect if we were to get a player that would "instantly be the best player in MLS" we would not be able to pull it off that fast. The Beckham deal took Leiweke years to get according to reports. He had been working for what, half a year on a deal for Lampard for the Galaxy and apparently they still don't know whether he's coming.

brad
05-01-2013, 12:33 PM

You can 100% do this. The window only governs when a player move can actually happen. For out of contract players - the transfer window has no direct meaning - but contracts pretty much always expire when the window opens so for all intensive purposes the dates are the same.

Canary10
05-01-2013, 12:56 PM
You can 100% do this. The window only governs when a player move can actually happen. For out of contract players - the transfer window has no direct meaning - but contracts pretty much always expire when the window opens so for all intensive purposes the dates are the same.

Any player good enough to decide where they want to go is unlikely to make a move to MLS on 6 weeks notice. Doesn't matter if you can techncially do it.

Marc"2L"
05-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Agreed, although sometimes this stuff gets overblown, Pennant's history is more than the usual professional athlete off-field antics

Drunk driving, no thank you. Not sure if he'll even get a work visa because of it.

Yohan
05-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Drunk driving, no thank you. Not sure if he'll even get a work visa because of it.
he'll have problems with US visa for sure

Yohan
05-01-2013, 03:12 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/01/queens-park-rangers-relegated-will-ryan-nelsen-and-toronto-fc-sneak-few-sign

Nelsen looks to raid QPR again

OgtheDim
05-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Soooooooooooooooo............anybody going to be let go in a few weeks cause of that debacle?

Ajax TFC
05-02-2013, 12:04 AM
Trading Frei would be a decent start. He wasn't at fault for all the goals, but he could definitely have done better on a few of them and two of them were scored on rebounds that he sent right into the middle of the box. Not horrible, but definitely not up to the standard that's needed, especially when your salary is 150k+

notthesun
05-02-2013, 03:13 AM
Trading Frei would be a decent start. He wasn't at fault for all the goals, but he could definitely have done better on a few of them and two of them were scored on rebounds that he sent right into the middle of the box. Not horrible, but definitely not up to the standard that's needed, especially when your salary is 150k+

He doesn't have much value right now. 2 appearances in the last year, I can't see many teams giving us a decent return for that. Needs more games if we expect anything in return in a trade.

brad
05-02-2013, 07:22 AM

Who needs a keeper in the league right now? Anyone have any ideas?

I do think the time is right to move him, and I do think he still has value.

CommradePolski
05-02-2013, 07:24 AM
We need to get rid of Weidemen. He's got to go.

Ultra & Proud
05-02-2013, 09:17 AM
We need to get rid of Weidemen. He's got to go.

Normally I would say you need scrubs on low contracts to fill the bench but I see no hope with Wiedeman. I am sure Bennett could do the same amount of nothing Wiedeman does. Unlike Hall whom I wanted us to dump last year but has greatly improved, I see no future for Wiedeman. Like I said he is the slowest, most un-athletic thin guy I have ever seen. When he jogs he looks like Mr. Burns.

I say when the summer hits and transfers are about it may be time to say goodbye to him, Richter, and maybe even Morgan.

Canary10
05-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Normally I would say you need scrubs on low contracts to fill the bench but I see no hope with Wiedeman. I am sure Bennett could do the same amount of nothing Wiedeman does. Unlike Hall whom I wanted us to dump last year but has greatly improved, I see no future for Wiedeman. Like I said he is the slowest, most un-athletic thin guy I have ever seen. When he jogs he looks like Mr. Burns.

I say when the summer hits and transfers are about it may be time to say goodbye to him, Richter, and maybe even Morgan.

That really made me laugh.

OgtheDim
05-02-2013, 09:45 AM
One thing to keep in mind. A DM who breaks down attack and then starts quick short ball movement forward changes how people play in all other positions. I suspect Laba will make a few people more effective.

But I have no hope for Wiedeman.

jloome
05-02-2013, 09:47 AM
One thing to keep in mind. A DM who breaks down attack and then starts quick short ball movement forward changes how people play in all other positions. I suspect Laba will make a few people more effective.

But I have no hope for Wiedeman.

Wiedeman is a smart player with no technical ability or strength. He'll score the odd goal as a backup, but we saw yesterday he just can't trap a ball in the air or hold one up under pressure.

jloome
05-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Who needs a keeper in the league right now? Anyone have any ideas?

I do think the time is right to move him, and I do think he still has value.

I agree. New York's starter Robles is a nightmare, but they've got lots of options now. Rimando's getting pretty old, as are Bush and Ricketts. Someone might want to look ahead.

CommradePolski
05-02-2013, 10:01 AM

I agree with Hall. I too wanted him off the team but his improvement this season has garnered praise.

The most natural finisher should not even be on our bench at this point.

Detroit_TFC
05-02-2013, 10:02 AM

I'm not sure we can market him as a starting GK. He's certainly well below previous playing capacity, and we can say he'll improve but I doubt anyone would bank on that.

Abou Sky
05-02-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure we can market him as a starting GK. He's certainly well below previous playing capacity, and we can say he'll improve but I doubt anyone would bank on that.

It would be really tough to do anything with him during the season.

We could waive him but if nobody picks him up we still take the cap hit and if we were to trade him we would likely have to pay part of his salary which would count towards his cap hit and if it were $75k as a best case we would be paying $40-$50 for a back-up who would likely be unproven so you are only gaining $25-$35k of cap.

Yohan
05-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Stefan Frei isn't going anywhere, unless TFC eats most of his cap hit. Even then, TFC gets very little back in value. No sane GM is going to take a 150k back up GK with a questionable health.

If Frei leaves, it'll be at end of this season. And he might qualify for CMNT by then...

Detroit_TFC
05-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I agree on the numbers. I know that some people advocated, prior to injury he should be sold to maximize his value. Thing is, at that time a much larger group of people would have said that was insane to ship him out. You don't want to get rid of a guy until you want to get rid of a guy, I guess that is human nature.

In any case Frei isn't our biggest issue. Ashtone Morgan is. Payne and Nelsen have to decide if he is a long term project or not. If he is, then he has to go to a lower division team on loan. He is simply not an functional option for us at this point.

jloome
05-02-2013, 11:01 AM
He is simply not an functional option for us at this point.

I... (oh, I'm gonna duck after saying this) disagree.

I agree in principle, because he's playing like shit. But I also see that he's making the same basic mistake right now: he's ball watching when involved in the play, i.e. waiting for the ball to reach him and then make a play on it, instead of attacking the ball.

It's our biggest fault as a team. When he was posterized by Cahill, it's because Cahill attacked the ball, Morgan waited for it. When he was beaten on the back post yesterday for one of the goals, it was because he was waiting for it to come to him.

Maybe it's bad coaching. Maybe they aren't seeing it (although if they're watching video, how could they miss it?).

But if that's correctable and not a "read at speed" problem, i.e. he just can't read the game at MLS speed, then sending him down to NASL or USL Pro will just degrade his skills. You send a player on loan when he needs playing time. Morgan's problem right now is he needs less game time, more practice on essentials and basics.

I'd say the same of several of our young players; one of the reasons Wiedeman has trouble contributing is that a) he's not strong enough. Put the kid in a fuckign weight room, already. And b) he lacks basic first touch skills, such as trapping the ball out of the air, so he almost always loses any pass that's hard or challenged.

Doneil Henry also suffers from Ball Watch-itis, like Morgan, which is why guys get behind him. He has a huge vertical and is the tallest player on the park. He shouldn't lose headers in our box; but he does, because he doesn't attack the ball.

Right now, the reason Jeremy Hall is so much better this year is that he has been told to sit back and cut down passing lanes; to do that effectively takes anticipation and reacting before other players. That's also the most glaring weakness of our generally young team.

This isn't just a defensive issue. Did anyone see Osorio almost lose his nut the other day when he turned to the wing to keep the move flowing into NY's end, and Richter hadn't filled the lane? He was watching the play, instead of reading and reacting.

But this isn't a HUGE issue. It's a learning curve issue, and I don't see how sending Morgan down helps him.

Canary10
05-02-2013, 11:07 AM
I... (oh, I'm gonna duck after saying this) disagree.

I agree in principle, because he's playing like shit. But I also see that he's making the same basic mistake right now: he's ball watching when involved in the play, i.e. waiting for the ball to reach him and then make a play on it, instead of attacking the ball.

It's our biggest fault as a team. When he was posterized by Cahill, it's because Cahill attacked the ball, Morgan waited for it. When he was beaten on the back post yesterday for one of the goals, it was because he was waiting for it to come to him.

Maybe it's bad coaching. Maybe they aren't seeing it (although if they're watching video, how could they miss it?).

But if that's correctable and not a "read at speed" problem, i.e. he just can't read the game at MLS speed, then sending him down to NASL or USL Pro will just degrade his skills. You send a player on loan when he needs playing time. Morgan's problem right now is he needs less game time, more practice on essentials and basics.

I'd say the same of several of our young players; one of the reasons Wiedeman has trouble contributing is that a) he's not strong enough. Put the kid in a fuckign weight room, already. And b) he lacks basic first touch skills, such as trapping the ball out of the air, so he almost always loses any pass that's hard or challenged.

Doneil Henry also suffers from Ball Watch-itis, like Morgan, which is why guys get behind him. He has a huge vertical and is the tallest player on the park. He shouldn't lose headers in our box; but he does, because he doesn't attack the ball.

Right now, the reason Jeremy Hall is so much better this year is that he has been told to sit back and cut down passing lanes; to do that effectively takes anticipation and reacting before other players. That's also the most glaring weakness of our generally young team.

This isn't just a defensive issue. Did anyone see Osorio almost lose his nut the other day when he turned to the wing to keep the move flowing into NY's end, and Richter hadn't filled the lane? He was watching the play, instead of reading and reacting.

But this isn't a HUGE issue. It's a learning curve issue, and I don't see how sending Morgan down helps him.

Yup, definitely saw that. You're right, there is a lack of reading and attacking the ball happening. In Morgan's case I don't think it's fatal, but his confidence is done and he needs some time not playing right now. I also agree sending him elsewhere isn't a good idea.

ag futbol
05-02-2013, 11:49 AM
In any case Frei isn't our biggest issue. Ashtone Morgan is. Payne and Nelsen have to decide if he is a long term project or not. If he is, then he has to go to a lower division team on loan. He is simply not an functional option for us at this point.
I don't think he needs a loan but he does need to get his head I straight. Performances have been pretty bad.

TFC should be looking for a new starting left back for sure. Edit: or maybe I'd say another quality natural left footer at least. Someone who can push

Detroit_TFC
05-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Richter seems much more of an example of someone who needs honing. The work being done with Morgan just doesn't seem to be sinking in, but I'm all for keeping on trying. TFC is very often too willing to give up on youngsters. Having said that, there is no way he should be starting - that is just too much for him and it is causing too many problems.

mcolvy
05-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Morgans ball control is so terrible. For an offensive leftback hes actually so incompetent with the ball. It gets all weird in his feet and he takes like five touches/steps to control a ball. He has unbelievable speed and agility and can wip in a solid cross. Winter hid his weaknesses very well. Winter was a great soccer mind, but couldnt handle the rest. Morgan is getting exposeddd boys.

His positioning iss just sooo bad and hes been by far the worst player on the field. Every game.

Ultra & Proud
05-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Morgan is getting exposeddd boys.

His positioning iss just sooo bad and hes been by far the worst player on the field. Every game.

Richter is giving him a run for his money now though.

ag futbol
05-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Not getting this Richter thing going on here. For an inexperienced back-end roster player he's competent enough. Flawed, definitely, but MLS is still filled with these types of players. Especially at a position like RB where everyone skimps because of the cap (unless you're TFC and think that right backs earn 300+).

He's pretty much another Logan Emory. Give him some time to adjust to the play and he'll do his job as a backup.

I mean really, what were we expecting? They're committed to Eckerley in that spot for at least this season. Richter is not terrible considering he probably cost sub 100k

Ultra & Proud
05-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Not getting this Richter thing going on here. For an inexperienced back-end roster player he's competent enough. Flawed, definitely, but MLS is still filled with these types of players. Especially at a position like RB where everyone skimps because of the cap (unless you're TFC and think that right backs earn 300+).

He's pretty much another Logan Emory. Give him some time to adjust to the play and he'll do his job as a backup.

I mean really, what were we expecting? They're committed to Eckerley in that spot for at least this season. Richter is not terrible considering he probably cost sub 100k

I disagree. He is terrible and I do expect more from a starter in that spot. Emory is much better than Richter, especially defensively. Neither is good going forward and really the only thing Richter has going for him are the throw-ins.

If we have this as a back four then we'd be alright by MLS standards:

Eck - O' Dea - Agboss/Califf - Emory/Russell

The combination we had last night was at a USL/NASL standard.

Yohan
05-02-2013, 01:18 PM
TFC is being linked to a young Honduran striker Marlon Ramirez. Apparently 18, Honduran U20 currently with C.D. Vida (groan)
http://www.elceibeno.hn/deportes/2013/03/futbolistas-que-valen-oro/

ArmenJBX
05-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Even if these Honduran moves don't pan out, at least Toronto FC is making their presence felt in the region. More and more players will be hearing about "Toronto" and that intrigue might boost our chances for bigger talents.

ag futbol
05-02-2013, 01:24 PM
I disagree. He is terrible and I do expect more from a starter in that spot. Emory is much better than Richter, especially defensively. Neither is good going forward and really the only thing Richter has going for him are the throw-ins.

You'll have to remember that Emory was basically perceived the same way you're looking at Richter right now.

Russell is the guy I have no hope for.

Abou Sky
05-02-2013, 01:31 PM

I agree, but we are on our #5 & #6 fullbacks right now.

Richter is good for a #6...

Ultra & Proud
05-02-2013, 02:08 PM
You'll have to remember that Emory was basically perceived the same way you're looking at Richter right now.

Really only by the whole 'ML$E out!, shorts guy out' contingent. Those who watched him (and the game) objectively knew he had his place just like we do with Dunfield.

Morlesio14
05-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Ramirez won't happen boys

moralis
05-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Why do you say the Ramirez deal wont happen? Do you have news of that or inside info?

Morlesio14
05-02-2013, 07:55 PM
I feel like its something to distract the media after our terrible game yesterday

ginkster88
05-02-2013, 07:58 PM
I feel like its something to distract the media after our terrible game yesterday

Right, the 6-0 loss was getting blanket coverage in Honduras.

[NBF]
05-02-2013, 08:37 PM
I wish the team would have signed Beaulieu-Bourgault and kept Matt Stinson. The team would have been better suited to deal with injuries. Jaimie Peters would have been a better option than Richter at right back. Missed opportunities to build a competitive team with reasonable depth.

---------------------------Bendik---------------------------
----------------------------Frei-----------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
Eckersley--------Califf-----------Agbossoumonde-------O'Dea
Peters----------Henry----------------Emory----------Morgan
Bostock----------Hall---------------Silva-------------Ephraim
Lambe---------Stinson-------Beaulieu-Bourgault----Bekker
---------------------------Laba-----------------------------
--------------------------Osorio----------------------------
------------------------Earnshaw---------------------------
--------------------------Braun-----------------------------

Canary10
05-03-2013, 08:59 AM

Russell is the guy I have no hope for.

Watching Richter fail to run that Montreal forward out the by-line and letting the cross in for goal 5 (? or was it 4?) was it for me. Add that to the incident from the Red Bulls game Jloome brought up when Osorio was pleading for him to make a run up the right flank....this guys is clueless on both ends of the pitch.

Ultra & Proud
05-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Watching Richter fail to run that Montreal forward out the by-line and letting the cross in for goal 5 (? or was it 4?) was it for me. Add that to the incident from the Red Bulls game Jloome brought up when Osorio was pleading for him to make a run up the right flank....this guys is clueless on both ends of the pitch.
This. Right. Here.

No idea why people defend him so easily.

Yohan
05-03-2013, 09:43 AM
This. Right. Here.

No idea why people defend him so easily.
cheap depth at min wage. you get what you paid for

i remember people lambasting emory a lot too.

Ultra & Proud
05-03-2013, 09:52 AM

I remember people lambasting everyone at one time or another so that doesn't say much.

billyfly
05-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Can we sign a footballer instead of athletes pls?

Canary10
05-03-2013, 10:18 AM

Giving a guy the outside until he runs out of space is defending 101. That cross had no business coming in. That's the least you expect from any defender on any money.

Ultra & Proud
05-03-2013, 10:23 AM
;1580814']I wish the team would have signed Beaulieu-Bourgault and kept Matt Stinson. The team would have been better suited to deal with injuries. Jaimie Peters would have been a better option than Richter at right back. Missed opportunities to build a competitive team with reasonable depth.

What makes you think any of these players would make a difference? Other than Canadian homer-ism that is. Where are they now? If they had any worth at low prices they would be somewhere.

Yohan
05-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Grant Wahl article on Herculez Gomez, and why I'd like him at TFC.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1206798/1/index.htm

ag futbol
05-03-2013, 11:13 AM
What makes you think any of these players would make a difference? Other than Canadian homer-ism that is. Where are they now? If they had any worth at low prices they would be somewhere.
Hate to say it but I agree. Never thought much of Stinson, maybe JBB is worth the argument. As for Peters, I don't see anything appealing about him. Constant decline and troubling things being reported.

If anything, given the early success of Osorio, the argument should be for some of the Urguay kids to be repatriated by TFC after a couple years abroad. Andreas Fresenga played well with the u23s and has a lot of characteristics that makes me think he could be an asset to TFC AT RB. Maybe that's worth a look, and it's clearly a cut above Stinson and company.

TFC07
05-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Hate to say it but I agree. Never thought much of Stinson, maybe JBB is worth the argument. As for Peters, I don't see anything appealing about him. Constant decline and troubling things being reported.

If anything, given the early success of Osorio, the argument should be for some of the Urguay kids to be repatriated by TFC after a couple years abroad. Andreas Fresenga played well with the u23s and has a lot of characteristics that makes me think he could be an asset to TFC AT RB. Maybe that's worth a look, and it's clearly a cut above Stinson and company. Don't forget about Lucas Cavallini (young Canadian striker) playing in Uruguay right now. I am not sure how he's doing there right now, but we sure can use him if we are looking for young cheap talented Canadian kids.

Oldtimer
05-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Grant Wahl article on Herculez Gomez, and why I'd like him at TFC.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1206798/1/index.htm

That's what you call a player with character.

Greatest Ripoff
05-03-2013, 11:27 AM

Does cheap depth require a transfer fee?

Yohan
05-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Does cheap depth require a transfer fee?
I've yet to see any article from credible media that TFC paid a transfer fee, though I could be wrong.

jloome
05-03-2013, 12:02 PM
I've yet to see any article from credible media that TFC paid a transfer fee, though I could be wrong.

He was free; he was on trial with Philadelphia before us and didn't get picked up.

Greatest Ripoff
05-03-2013, 12:15 PM
He was free; he was on trial with Philadelphia before us and didn't get picked up.

Not true, he was originally drafted by Philly and was released. He signed for and spent last year playing for Charleston Battery. Here is a link from Charleston's website that says he was transferred to Toronto. Kurt Larson also tweet at the time that a fee was paid.

http://charlestonbattery.com/news/battery-transfers-ryan-richter-to-toronto-fc/

Yohan
05-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Not true, he was originally drafted by Philly and was released. He signed for and spent last year playing for Charleston Battery. Here is a link from Charleston's website that says he was transferred to Toronto. Kurt Larson also tweet at the time that a fee was paid.

http://charlestonbattery.com/news/battery-transfers-ryan-richter-to-toronto-fc/
I don't distrust Larson, but generally, if a fee or allocation money was paid, MLS would actually say that

Greatest Ripoff
05-03-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't distrust Larson, but generally, if a fee or allocation money was paid, MLS would actually say that

Read the article I posted from the Battery website. The first sentence, "Charleston, SC. The Charleston Battery has transferred Ryan Richter to Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC. Per team and MLS policy terms of the deal were not disclosed." What do you think Toronto exchanged for him if not money?

Yohan
05-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Read the article I posted from the Battery website. The first sentence, "Charleston, SC. The Charleston Battery has transferred Ryan Richter to Major League Soccer’s Toronto FC. Per team and MLS policy terms of the deal were not disclosed." What do you think Toronto exchanged for him if not money?
it could have been a free transfer, as mind boggling as that may seem

Greatest Ripoff
05-03-2013, 12:31 PM

And if you look at the mls website under transactions, it says "D Ryan Richter (3/25/13 - acquired from Charleston Battery)"

http://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2013

Greatest Ripoff
05-03-2013, 12:33 PM
it could have been a free transfer, as mind boggling as that may seem

Why would Charleston give away a starter from their championship winning team to a team 2 levels higher for free? Why would s TFC beat reporter tweet that a fee has been paid?

ag futbol
05-03-2013, 12:37 PM
I remember people lambasting everyone at one time or another so that doesn't say much.
There was more to it than that. He legitimately had strings of terrible performances. Anyone remember him getting posterized by Darren Mattocks? That was just icing on the cake, he was being exposed practically every game we played.

Can't throw a guy out after a handful of games. That's not going to lead to a fair assessment of what he's capable of. He does have assets. Definitely athletic and technically functional. Isn't reading the game properly right now but that can certainly improve.

ag futbol
05-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Don't forget about Lucas Cavallini (young Canadian striker) playing in Uruguay right now. I am not sure how he's doing there right now, but we sure can use him if we are looking for young cheap talented Canadian kids.
Certainly attractive but probably not as easy to get out of his club. Again, good potential fit for TFC though. Want pesky forwards with high work rates, that's basically him to a T.

That being said, the longer he's down there the better. I trust their ability to develop players much more than ours

Yohan
05-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Why would Charleston give away a starter from their championship winning team to a team 2 levels higher for free? Why would s TFC beat reporter tweet that a fee has been paid?
same reason that Charleston gave up Osvaldo Alonso for peanuts to Seattle. when a big team comes calling, the small team has not so much bargain power when the player wants to leave.

Ryan Richter was trialing with TFC before being signed. Usually a sign that a team is willing to let the player go. I suspect Richter may have a word with Battery GM that he'll play for Charleston, but if a bigger team comes calling, he's allowed to leave.

Ultra & Proud
05-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Can't throw a guy out after a handful of games. That's not going to lead to a fair assessment of what he's capable of. He does have assets. Definitely athletic and technically functional. Isn't reading the game properly right now but that can certainly improve.

I have yet to see proof of this.

Globetrotter
05-03-2013, 01:10 PM
;1580814']

And that's part of the problem. Even your dream team here has how many guys playing out of position? I see at least 5, which means half your field players aren't where they should be. None of these guys are elite athletes, and many with limited skill sets... and you're playing them out of position? You're asking for even more trouble.

Canary10
05-03-2013, 01:12 PM
And that's part of the problem. Even your dream team here has how many guys playing out of position? I see at least 5, which means half your field players aren't where they should be. None of these guys are elite athletes, and many with limited skill sets... and you're playing them out of position? You're asking for even more trouble.

Absolutely. O'Dea as a fullback? NBF, have you seen how slow he is? That would be a disaster.

Yohan
05-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Absolutely. O'Dea as a fullback? NBF, have you seen how slow he is? That would be a disaster.
have you seen how slow Dunivant is? uses footy IQ and smart positioning to overcome deficiency in pace. O'Dea actually has some experience playing LB, though not his natural position.

not that I'm advocating O'Dea as a LB, but it's not such a farfetched idea as it seems

OgtheDim
05-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Laba is a DM.

Canary10
05-03-2013, 01:30 PM
have you seen how slow Dunivant is? uses footy IQ and smart positioning to overcome deficiency in pace. O'Dea actually has some experience playing LB, though not his natural position.

not that I'm advocating O'Dea as a LB, but it's not such a farfetched idea as it seems

Dunivant isn't a particularly great fullback tbh.

Yohan
05-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Dunivant isn't a particularly great fullback tbh.
uhhhh... he's still the best LB in MLS. 3 MLS Cups and 2 Supporters Shield with LA says he's probably pretty good

ag futbol
05-03-2013, 01:37 PM
same reason that Charleston gave up Osvaldo Alonso for peanuts to Seattle. when a big team comes calling, the small team has not so much bargain power when the player wants to leave.

Ryan Richter was trialing with TFC before being signed. Usually a sign that a team is willing to let the player go. I suspect Richter may have a word with Battery GM that he'll play for Charleston, but if a bigger team comes calling, he's allowed to leave.
Actually an interesting part of the debate around soccer in North America. MLS hates the idea of paying fees to anyone and that basically cascades down. Definitely dampens the incentives for the lower level of the pyramid to develop talent if they don't see any payoff.

CSN is writing a feature about this currently, although its focus is amateur clubs receiving fees for the players they develop.

notthesun
05-03-2013, 01:39 PM
We finally have an above average MLS CB in O'Dea and combined with Boss or Califf a pretty decent pairing. No way are we breaking that up for temporary help at LB.

Emory will play there when fit, otherwise we'll have to pray Morgan finds some form.

Canary10
05-03-2013, 01:41 PM
uhhhh... he's still the best LB in MLS. 3 MLS Cups and 2 Supporters Shield with LA says he's probably pretty good

Personally think Sean Franklin is better as a fullback. What he's won only says he's been on good teams. Not saying he's bad but I wouldn't even think his name if I'm thinking of top fullbacks.

At any rate, playing O'Dea at left back is not a good idea.

ag futbol
05-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Personally think Sean Franklin is better as a fullback. What he's won only says he's been on good teams. Not saying he's bad but I wouldn't even think his name if I'm thinking of top fullbacks.
Not exactly a strong league for fullbacks or wide players is it? Seems to be the places where most teams try to save money.

I'll take Steven Beitashour as one of the better ones. He's really impressed me the few times I saw him play with SJ.

Yohan
05-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Not exactly a strong league for fullbacks or wide players is it? Seems to be the places where most teams try to save money.

I'll take Steven Beitashour as one of the better ones. He's really impressed me the few times I saw him play with SJ.
unless you're stupid like TFC or Vancouver.

I'd suggest that this trend is being reversed as more teams realize how important a good fullback is on offence. it's too bad Andy Najar is no longer with MLS. This Yedlin kid from Seattle is going to be something special

Canary10
05-03-2013, 02:11 PM

I'd suggest that this trend is being reversed as more teams realize how important a good fullback is on offence. it's too bad Andy Najar is no longer with MLS. This Yedlin kid from Seattle is going to be something special

Farrell could end up being that too. It is probably changing, but you don't hear left and right backs getting played up that much for the Superdraft or in signing rumours. Still tends to be an overlooked position.

Having played that position, I tend to have a bias toward players that get forward....

Yohan
05-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Farrell could end up being that too. It is probably changing, but you don't hear left and right backs getting played up that much for the Superdraft or in signing rumours. Still tends to be an overlooked position.

Having played that position, I tend to have a bias toward players that get forward....
we are really hijacking the thread, but fullbacks do get some love from time to time. Farrell is a bit of oddity that he could play multiple positions and a bit of coincidence that he ended up being a RB at NE. however, Chance Myers of SKC was drafted 1st overall in 08, but now paying big dividends for SKC

what I don't like about a lot of MLS fullbacks is that a lot of them are converted FBs.

Greatest Ripoff
05-03-2013, 03:37 PM

Look at the transaction section on the MLS webstie that I linked earlier.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2013

F Justin Braun (12/3/12 - trade from Real Salt Lake)
GK Joe Bendik (12/12/12 - trade from Portland)
D Danny Califf (12/14/12 - Re-Entry Draft Stage 2)
D Gale Agbossoumonde (12/20/12 - weighted lottery)
M Júlio César (1/15/2013 - free)
M Kyle Bekker (1/17/13 - SuperDraft)
M/F Hogan Ephraim (2/27/13 - loan from Queens Park Rangers)
F Robert Earnshaw (3/1/13 - free)
F Ashton Bennett (3/1/13 - SuperDraft)
F Taylor Morgan (3/1/13 - Supplemental Draft)
M Jonathan Ososrio (3/1/13 - free)
M Darel Russell (3/1/13 - free)
M John Bostock (3/8/13 - loan from Tottenham Hotspur)
D Ryan Richter (3/25/13 - acquired from Charleston Battery)
M Matías Laba (4/26/13 - transfer from Argentinos Juniors)

If Richter came on a free would it not say 'free' after his name and not 'acquired from'? Why would Larson say there was a transfer fee paid? I've yet to see any evidence to say he came on a free.

West220Side
05-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Speaking of MLS fullbacks. What happened to the love for Micheal Harrington around these parts?

Yohan
05-03-2013, 03:41 PM
So.... What's the difference between 'acquired' and 'transfer' then? wouldn't it make more sense to use same word for a transaction in which a transfer fee is paid?

Yohan
05-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Speaking of MLS fullbacks. What happened to the love for Micheal Harrington around these parts?
starter for Portland after being traded from SKC, and proving that he is one of better MLS FBs

Richard
05-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Personally I would like for everything to be made public, more transparency is needed in this league. I'm also itching to see the 2013 salary list.

ag futbol
05-03-2013, 04:15 PM

Agreed, it's definitely changing. Teams have slightly more resources to deal with the problem too

jloome
05-03-2013, 04:45 PM

Or a release clause.

jloome
05-03-2013, 04:47 PM

Despite the MLSsoccer.com hype, Farrell has been handed his jockstrap about five times already this season. Like Deshorn Brown (2 goals on 30 or so shots), he's being heavily hyped simply for starting, because there aren't a lot of draft class players getting regular time.

reggie
05-05-2013, 11:41 AM
the transfer window ends tomorrow until summer,unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat,we are stuck with this talent until july..
enjoy boys and girls..

Morlesio14
05-05-2013, 12:20 PM
the transfer window ends tomorrow until summer,unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat,we are stuck with this talent until july..
enjoy boys and girls..

Piss

ag futbol
05-05-2013, 12:58 PM
We can still pick up players who are out of contract at anytime. Although being outside the window certainly limits options.

T-boy
05-05-2013, 02:53 PM
There will be a lot of European players out of contract come the end of May or early June. Payne indicated in his interview that players would be coming in then I think. We can pick up those players at any time, as ag says.

moralis
05-05-2013, 03:16 PM
I agree, but the problem is that we have only 1 international roster spot available. I am including Danny Kovermans replacing Tyler Morgan.

8 taken up and 1 available:

Bostock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bostock), Earnshaw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Earnshaw), Eckersley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Eckersley_%28footballer%29), Ephraim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan_Ephraim), Laba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat%C3%ADas_Laba), Lambe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Lambe), O'Dea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_O%27Dea) and Koevermans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Koevermans)

Does anyone know if TFC can loan back Ephraim and Bostock to their respective clubs early and replace them with out of contract international players? Also, how would that affect the cap?

Oldtimer
05-05-2013, 03:26 PM
enjoy boys and girls..

"talent" is a bit too strong of a descriptor.

T-boy
05-05-2013, 04:42 PM
I agree, but the problem is that we have only 1 international roster spot available. I am including Danny Kovermans replacing Tyler Morgan.

Bostock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bostock), Earnshaw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Earnshaw), Eckersley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Eckersley_%28footballer%29), Ephraim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan_Ephraim), Laba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat%C3%ADas_Laba), Lambe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Lambe), O'Dea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_O%27Dea) and Koevermans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Koevermans)

Does anyone know if TFC can loan back Ephraim and Bostock to their respective clubs early and replace them with out of contract international players? Also, how would that affect the cap?

Usualy loan players can return to their parent club at any time. I would imagine at least 1, if not both, of Ephraim and Bostock will be going back to their clubs. That would free up 2 spots. Morgan really needs to be loaned out somewhere to get first team games at a lower level. I don't see any reason why TFC couldn't loan Morgan to a European club to get some game time as he's English.

Stouffville_RPB
05-06-2013, 06:48 AM

Bostock's contract with Spurs is up this summer.

Still Kicking
05-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Ah spring time speculation.....
Danny K's return moves out Taylor Morgan seems to be on everyone's list.

TFC has a history of wide players who do not score, changing that must be both a priority and hopefully a factor in a designated player pursuit for summer. Every game that neither Lambe or Bostock score or even provide a strong offensive contribution must be making their long term prospects in Toronto dim.
They are both young and therefore a convincing argument for TFC having a way to loan out players (repair the relationship with the Lynx?). Remember that a MLS International Player designation is not a permanent status. A player could apply for landed immigrant status (the Canadian equivalent to a green card) after three years. Reggie Lambe might be 24, but he already has a year in Canada...
Hogan Ephraim, imho, is the player most likely to return to his team at loan end. Relegated QPR will be shedding big contracts and will need a roster it can afford.

T-boy
05-06-2013, 01:07 PM
I also think Ephraim will go back to QPR. Definitely most likely to leave right now.

SKB
05-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Tyler Pasher: I was trying to figure out where he was because I could not find him in the academy. After searching around it appears he is playing for the Kemi Kings a 2nd league in Finland. It appears to be a free transfer. Did he just get up and leave?Will he come back to the club or has a signed a permanent contract with the Kemi Kings.

Greatest Ripoff
05-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Tyler Pasher: I was trying to figure out where he was because I could not find him in the academy. After searching around it appears he is playing for the Kemi Kings a 2nd league in Finland. It appears to be a free transfer. Did he just get up and leave?Will he come back to the club or has a signed a permanent contract with the Kemi Kings.

He was dropped by TFC and has signed with Kemi.

denime
05-07-2013, 05:42 AM
Scotland international defender Steven Caldwell joins Toronto FC on loan (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/644223667?-19896:6206)

OgtheDim
05-07-2013, 06:05 AM
Not sure why this short term loan is useful. He's a CD. The need back there is in FB's.

ag futbol
05-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Consider me confused as well. Would not put this high on the team's list of needs right now.

Yohan
05-07-2013, 07:23 AM
Consider me confused as well. Would not put this high on the team's list of needs right now.
I think it's essentially a trial for Caldwell. If he pans out, Califf's days are numbered

Morlesio14
05-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Well he's better than boss, and califf so yes I would like to drop califf if caldwell is good

Lucky Strike
05-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Indeed this seems to have come from nowhere. Not sure how he would fit in the overall picture, but this appears to be an extended trial, so there's little to lose, I suppose (aside maybe from taking away playing time from guys we want to develop like Henry and Boss).

Armen Bedakian ‏@ArmenBedakian 27m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/ArmenBedakian/status/331748554488037377) Caldwell joins Toronto FC on a short loan, a deal that expires on June 30th. He has 12 caps for Scotland. #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) #MLS (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash)

http://sport.stv.tv/football/international/224327-scotland-international-defender-steven-caldwell-joins-toronto-fc-on-loan/

IsrTfc
05-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Louds of rumours in israel lately of a possible move of the great isaeli nt CB Tal Ben-Haim to Tfc...
if that"ll qctually happen it ll be the best thing i heared lately.

Detroit_TFC
05-07-2013, 08:24 AM
So this would push Califf even further down the depth chart unless Nelsen will use Caldwell as a RB just for shits and giggles. Seems no more than a short notice opportunity (loan) signing so not going to get too worked up about this. I'll be sad if this is intended to shop for a Califf replacement.

Detroit_TFC
05-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Louds of rumours in israel lately of a possible move of the great isaeli nt CB Tal Ben-Haim to Tfc...

Bloody hell, maybe Nelly is going for the 8-1-1!

brad
05-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Caldwell is solid, I like the move. I'm assuming it's loan/trial, with a permanent signing being possible if he performs. I've always been fan of an older more experienced CB paired with a younger one (don't forget O'Dea is still young and learning). If we can shed Califf and get Caldwell for around the same salary, that is a massive upgrade at the back.

While I agree we do need a LB, CB also needs to be upgraded IMHO. And just because we are upgrading one position does not mean we aren't looking at others.

Red CB Toronto
05-07-2013, 08:48 AM
New Zealand International Jeremy Brockie from the Wellington Phoenix also coming in on a loan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Brockie

http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/5/7/4308084/jeremy-brockie-toronto-fc-wellington-phoenix-loan

Canary10
05-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Califf will be out, Caldwell and O'Dea start, Boss a sub. Conceding so many late goals, you have to start with your centre halves so this makes sense from that perspective. We really need help at left and right back too, I agree, but shoring up the middle is important.

SirBobSaget
05-07-2013, 08:52 AM

Ben-Haim was playing as RB on Saturday. He can play all positions on the backline. Would be a great versatile signing.

billyfly
05-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Just get guys that make us win.

Screw the details.

SirBobSaget
05-07-2013, 09:03 AM
New Zealand International Jeremy Brockie from the Wellington Phoenix also coming in on a loan.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/5/7/4308084/jeremy-brockie-toronto-fc-wellington-phoenix-loan

His wiki page is impressive! Only 25, 36 caps for NZ and 16 goals in 25 appearances in the A-League (the team only has 31 Goals For in 27 matches).

The A-League is supposed to be comparable to MLS in quality and playing style, so looks like a nice move. Also his club finished dead last so hes used to that aspect as well :p !!

CommradePolski
05-07-2013, 09:03 AM
I have a feeling Caldwell will be used as a fullback not a centre back.

Yohan
05-07-2013, 09:05 AM
His wiki page is impressive! Only 25, 36 caps for NZ and 16 goals in 25 appearances in the A-League (the team only has 31 Goals For in 27 matches).

The A-League is supposed to be comparable to MLS in quality and playing style, so looks like a nice move. Also his club finished dead last so hes used to that aspect as well :p !!
A league is not comparable to MLS. More NASL quality.

But hey, we have our new Jarrod Smith! :P

Yohan
05-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Taylor Morgan has to be waived or either Ephraim or Bostock returned to parent clubs for int slots

Lucky Strike
05-07-2013, 09:08 AM

Now this is interesting! Right off the bat, the A-League I believe should be viewed in the context of "it's like MLS but 7-8 years ago" in terms of talent-level. Based on that alone (full disclosure: I haven't seen him play), so any expectation of 16 goals in 25 games should probably be tempered. But even if he scores a third of that amount, it would suggest he has good vision and it will be a good contribution from midfield. Plus, he comes from a wage-controlled league so that increases the chance he'd be value for money.

Finally, based on the A-league schedule, he could be here until August when pre-season starts or October if we're lucky (he'd already be in match-fit) when their season starts.

Lots of assumptions here on my part, but it's an interesting bit of information.

brad
05-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Califf will be out, Caldwell and O'Dea start, Boss a sub. Conceding so many late goals, you have to start with your centre halves so this makes sense from that perspective. We really need help at left and right back too, I agree, but shoring up the middle is important.

I think RB is okay. Ecks is the starter, and Richter is decent for depth. I'd like better for depth, but you have to take hit in this league. LB needs surgery.

jabbronies
05-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Taylor Morgan has to be waived or either Ephraim or Bostock returned to parent clubs for int slots

I see Bostock getting returned. Guy just isn't panning out.

Canary10
05-07-2013, 09:15 AM
I think Eckersely should go as soon as possible. Not worth his money. There are better fullbacks at $50,000.

Yohan
05-07-2013, 09:20 AM
I think Eckersely should go as soon as possible. Not worth his money. There are better fullbacks at $50,000.
yeah that's not going to happen. I think Nelsen rates him, and I'm going to guess he's on a guaranteed contract and I can't see another MLS team trading for him. He ain't going anywhere

Canary10
05-07-2013, 09:26 AM
^ How long was that contract? He might have another year max?

Yohan
05-07-2013, 09:55 AM
^ How long was that contract? He might have another year max?
nobody knows. usually MLS contracts are 2 years plus 2 yrs team option

Canary10
05-07-2013, 09:58 AM
^ Hate that about MLS. If it's two years then this would be his last.

Still Kicking
05-07-2013, 09:59 AM
The player churn at TFC has meant that gaining Permanent Resident Status has yet to happen for a long term TFC International player. I think it happens after 3 years working in Canada. So those who are quick to throw away Eckersley should remember that when it is time for him to negotiate a new contract he will still be young, he will be experienced and he will no longer take an international spot on the roster. Easy to imagine that if TFC hesitated to offer a new contract, both Whitecaps and Impact would be interested.....

Canary10
05-07-2013, 10:01 AM
^ They can have him.

Auzzy
05-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Very surprising, but frankly, I think these moves and rumours for new defensive players put both Califf & O'Dea on notice. Nelsen as a long-time CB can't be happy with the screw-ups and lack of leadership in the back -- and he's said as much. Plus both Califf & O'Dea have committed personal gaffs. Califf directly screwed up in Montreal last week, and certainly wasn't "commanding" the backline in that blowout. O'Dea has had a couple of personal screw-ups as well. Remember he was supposed to be marking Buddle in Colorado, and O'Dea fell down before Emory did -- but Emory got most of the blame.

I love O'Dea, but he hasn't been ideal, and there are better CBs in MLS for much less money. (Unlikely that TFC could pry any loose now.) Califf we're stuck with for the season I think -- guys of that age & that much league experience can't be dropped mid-season, right? And nobody else will want to take him. He may just continue being an expensive backup. O'Dea may find some interest in Europe so they can trade him or let him go in the summer for a new contract overseas -- if the new temps work out or they find other CBs for the summer window.

More depth at the back could also be an incentive for Ecks & O'Dea to renegotiate their salaries -- perhaps a longer term at lower wages.

Not saying any of that will happen -- it's just apparent that Nelsen & Payne want to be less dependent on the current cast of defenders, and want more options.

Ultra & Proud
05-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Not on our team. Not even close.

Still Kicking
05-07-2013, 10:19 AM
^ They can have him.
I wish they would take you (and your ilk) instead. We are talking about a young footballer, 24 years of age, who has played in Toronto for 2 years. He has played a number of positions, played for 3 different managers and has had more good games than bad. He is presently injured. I am more than a little sick of so called TFC "fans" who treat players, real people who proudly wear the red and grey, as if they were avatars to be cut/traded/sent away from your fantasy team. I don't care if he makes a gazillion dollars. If you stab him in the back because you can find someone who is cheaper, why would the cheaper player want to play for your team? Aren't you just going to stab him in the back eventually when you find another even cheaper player? Who taught you to evaluate talent and build a team? Joe Fresh?

Auzzy
05-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Just checked out the Brockie highlights at http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/5/7/4308084/jeremy-brockie-toronto-fc-wellington-phoenix-loan
Wow, some of that defending & goaltending was comical. He may have a slightly tougher time scoring in MLS. However, he plays a couple of positions (AM, winger, striker), and TFC can also use help at AM and on the wing.

Canary10
05-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Eckersley has a good work rate. He tackles hard. I get that a lot of people like a good work rate. But he's very poor tactically. If I were coaching an opposing team, I'd be pressing to get balls onto him because he almost always makes bad decisions with them. When he gets forward he can't cross on either foot. Defenders play him to the outside because he'll always take that space. They run him out the by-line or tackle him when he makes the odd cut inside. It's too easy and predictable. He loses the ball more than any player on this team. He also gives up a lot of fouls in bad areas because he tackles through the backs of people. He lets his aggressiveness get the better of him. And he costs double what perfectly good MLS fullbacks earn.

This whole thread is about people giving personal opinions about players. Making personal attacks on someone who doesn't agree with the consensus isn't cool.

Ultra and Proud, I agree he's better than what is currently on the team, but his contract probably expires at the end of the year. I'd let him go and find some guys who can play the position on $150,000 or less and bring more to the table. I don't think he's part of the rebuild personally.

Ultra & Proud
05-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Eckersley has a good work rate. He tackles hard. I get that a lot of people like a good work rate. But he's very poor tactically. If I were coaching an opposing team, I'd be pressing to get balls onto him because he almost always makes bad decisions with them. When he gets forward he can't cross on either foot. Defenders play him to the outside because he'll always take that space. They run him out the by-line or tackle him when he makes the odd cut inside. It's too easy and predictable. He loses the ball more than any player on this team. He also gives up a lot of fouls in bad areas because he tackles through the backs of people. He lets his aggressiveness get the better of him. And he costs double what perfectly good MLS fullbacks earn.

This whole thread is about people giving personal opinions about players. Making personal attacks on someone who doesn't agree with the consensus isn't cool.

Ultra and Proud, I agree he's better than what is currently on the team, but his contract probably expires at the end of the year. I'd let him go and find some guys who can play the position on $150,000 or less and bring more to the table. I don't think he's part of the rebuild personally.

This season he has looked better. The biggest problem with him is his pay and if he was on $150K then no one would have a problem. If he would restructure his contract to those type of terms then I could see him as part of a rebuild. I find a lot of him problems came/come from trying to do too much. Not that he is the best ever but he was trying to cover for our shit back line for much of the past two seasons and it's become a habit to get out of position. He is still young and with a pay cut would be just about as promising as any other low rent MLSer you could dig up. If he gets citizenship then that would be a bonus.

Derko
05-07-2013, 10:49 AM

How come we can't get any then?

OgtheDim
05-07-2013, 10:58 AM
If Ecks is still dating that local girl, he is motivated as heck to stay here. Frankly, we need to start keeping players for years. We need continuity. If you look at the rosters of other teams, they have players that stick around for years. Sure they cost more then $50K but that's what it takes to build a back line. Right now, we have Frei and the next longest guy in the team is Ecks. Personally, I'd rather see us bring in an experienced guy to tutor Boss and O'Dea and Ecks and whomever we get to be LB. We need to start building a long term unit back there. Everything I've read has said you can't build a proper back 4 overnight. It takes about 3 months of playing together to get good as a unit. Well, we've had, what, 4 weeks of Boss and O'Dea and a rotating FB situation. No wonder we can't get our act together for 90 minutes back there.

Oh, and I would be surprised if Ecks doesn't take a pay cut next time around.

ag futbol
05-07-2013, 11:03 AM

Agreed. Last year (pre-backline injuries and migration to CB) his flank was a constant sore point defensively. Hasn't been as bad this year, Nelsen keeps his FBs more positionaly sound than either Winter or Mariner did.

I'm not crazy about the whole scenario. He can still play in England which makes him a pricy proposition. Cheaper alternatives will probably be explored, I'm sure they'd like to move him but his contract is garbage.

v00d00daddy
05-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Who is tasked with finding us players....Payne or Nelsen?

Seems like Nelsen is doing a whole lot of player acquisition stuff. Hope there is time for coaching and tactics.

Canary10
05-07-2013, 11:07 AM
How come we can't get any then?

Good question. Buck stops with Payne doesn't it?

Ultra & Proud
05-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Who is tasked with finding us players....Payne or Nelsen?

Seems like Nelsen is doing a whole lot of player acquisition stuff. Hope there is time for coaching and tactics.
Pretty clear that Payne and Nelsen are looking at different parts of the world and different player ages.

Payne is in for cheap S.A and C.A talent. These deals usually involve legit negotiations and transfer fees. He has said all along that it takes time and this is a year of flux.

Nelsen is using his connections to plug holes in a stop-gap manner, thus all the loan deals. When Payne gets what he wants then I am sure these loanees will go. Until then it's better than what we did in the past and toss $100K+ deals to the likes of Hscanovics and Usanov to fill out the roster or pull off an assload of pointless trades just to get the likes of Iro, Griffit, and other crap to make up a 'roster' for a season.

This is the best player acquisition system we've seen since day one.

v00d00daddy
05-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Pretty clear that Payne and Nelsen are looking at different parts of the world and different player ages.

Payne is in for cheap S.A and C.A talent. These deals usually involve legit negotiations and transfer fees. He has said all along that it takes time and this is a year of flux.

Nelsen is using his connections to plug holes in a stop-gap manner, thus all the loan deals. When Payne gets what he wants then I am sure these loanees will go. Until then it's better than what we did in the past and toss $100K+ deals to the likes of Hscanovics and Usanov to fill out the roster or pull off an assload of pointless trades just to get the likes of Iro, Griffit, and other crap to make up a 'roster' for a season.

This is the best player acquisition system we've seen since day one.

Agreed...ASSUMING they are all short term loan deals and not just being called that.

I remember hearing/reading somewhere that earnshaw has gone from a loan deal to an actual full time contract.

Am I out to lunch or has anyone else heard this? Lol

West220Side
05-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Agreed...ASSUMING they are all short term loan deals and not just being called that.

I remember hearing/reading somewhere that earnshaw has gone from a loan deal to an actual full time contract.

Think of it this way...

Nelsens loanee's are long term trailist who we're able to play at the cost of a minimal cap hit.
Once there short 3 month loan is over (their trail) we can decide if they're a good fit. Doesn't it seem like a good system?

West220Side
05-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Our squad needs Kyle Lafferty. Okay, I just want a Northern Irish player. g:D

Phil
05-07-2013, 11:28 AM

I heard this. The load deals all have a buyout clause and they mentioned that they would look to exercise it on Earnshaw. It then got clawed back a bit and the poker face went on.

jloome
05-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Looks to be peaking. I could be wrong, but back when he was a youth player and signed with Sydney FC, Crystal Palace and a few other English clubs were scouting him. I only remember it because we have the same first name. Was highly touted, then vanished at Sydney. I don't follow The A League enough to know what happened but his strike rate last year suggests maybe he's hitting his prime.

As someone has noted, though, A League defending is comical. It's not on par with MLS; more like Cyprus or Finland (or Conference National).

v00d00daddy
05-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Think of it this way...

Nelsens loanee's are long term trailist who we're able to play at the cost of a minimal cap hit.
Once there short 3 month loan is over (their trail) we can decide if they're a good fit. Doesn't it seem like a good system?

Well I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea how the cap hits are figured out but looking at the MLS salaries page I see guys like Bostock, ephraim, earnshw and Russell all on 100-200k garunteed contracts for 2013.

What does that even mean? Lol

Does garunteed mean cap hit?