Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated to include Califf.

We still have space under the cap, but I'm very surprised with how much Califf was making. I was budgeting $300K for a CB upgrade, but not sure if Califf is the answer. He's getting paid starter money, but has rotation talent IMO. Still an upgrade over what we had last year and maybe a partnership with O'Dea will be a good solution, but right now we have over $1M invested in our backline (including Hall and whatever salary increases are given to Morgan and Henry). That means over 33% of our salary is invested in 6 players.

It seems like Payne and Mariner are putting themselves into a corner on this one. If the Califf-O'Dea partnership doesn't pan out, we're not going to have much to fall back on. Not to mention what an injury crisis could do to our backline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    Updated to include Califf.

We still have space under the cap, but I'm very surprised with how much Califf was making. I was budgeting $300K for a CB upgrade, but not sure if Califf is the answer. He's getting paid starter money, but has rotation talent IMO. Still an upgrade over what we had last year and maybe a partnership with O'Dea will be a good solution, but right now we have over $1M invested in our backline (including Hall and whatever salary increases are given to Morgan and Henry). That means over 33% of our salary is invested in 6 players.

It seems like Payne and Mariner are putting themselves into a corner on this one. If the Califf-O'Dea partnership doesn't pan out, we're not going to have much to fall back on. Not to mention what an injury crisis could do to our backline.
    There's no way Califf is signed for what he was paid last season. If that were the case, they would have taken him in the first round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Very true, i should've updated my post after I realized this.

Still, I get the feeling Califf is making at least $200K.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    After being in absentia for a bit, I wanted to start looking forward to 2013 and see what improvements can be made to this team. After listening to the year end interviews, it would appears the players and PM are in agreement that we're close to making the playoffs, which I personally agree. Obviously there's some roster attrition but there's enough talent for some starting spots and some depth that we can use moving forward. No need for an absolute overhaul, again, in my opinion and apparently in PM's opinion as well. So that leaves the question, where do we go from here?

Using the most recent salary information from the Players Union - http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/Octo... - By Club.pdf - these are the salaries of players currently on the roster, organized by biggest salary cap hit (the furthest column is their actual salary for 2012 with annualized bonuses included).
    Roster No. Last Name First Name Position Cap Hit Total Salary
    1 Frings Torsten M $367,000 $2,413,667
    2 Hassli Eric F $367,000 $790,000
    3 Koevermans Danny F $367,000 $1,563,323
    4 O'Dea Darren D $330,000 $436,250
    5 Califf Danny D $275,000 $275,000
    6 Eckersley Richard D $210,000 $390,000
    7 Frei Stefan GK $120,000 $175,000
    8 Braun Justin F $102,000 $104,500
    9 Hall Jeremy D $100,000 $149,000
    10 Dunfield Terry M $86,000 $86,000
    11 Wiedeman Andrew F $80,000 $123,000
    12 Lambe Reggie M $60,000 $62,500
    13 Plata Joao F $50,000 $50,000
    21 Henry Doneil D $44,100 $45,100
    22 Morgan Ashtone D $44,000 $56,000
    23 Silva Luis M $44,000 $79,000
    24 Amarikwa Quincy F $44,000 $44,100
    25 Bendik Joe GK $44,000 $44,000
    26 Emory Logan D $44,000 $44,000
    27 Stinson Matthew M $44,000 $44,000
    28 Roberts Quillan GK $33,750 $33,750
    29 cap space -$35,000
    30 cap space -$35,000
    sorry, but cap hit is not based on base salary; its somewhere in between guaranteed and base

did dp cap hit go up to 367k this year?
    believe minimum salary goes up to 46k this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So with the addition of Julio Cesar and the 2 young Canucks, we now have 4 spots left.
    Can we have an update on the cap implications of these additions, plus the allocation money that came TFCs way yesterday?

Edit: sorry, I forgot Agbossoumonde - so that leaves 3 spots.
    Last edited by Luanda; 01-18-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can remove amarikwa from that list as well. Larsen reported a few weeks ago he would not be back in 2013.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    You can remove amarikwa from that list as well. Larsen reported a few weeks ago he would not be back in 2013.

If that is the case, Wiedeman is probably next given his absurd salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    If that is the case, Wiedeman is probably next given his absurd salary.
    Wiedeman, or Hall, or Ecks, or basically anyone in the upper half of the payrolls have absurd salaries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weren't Wiedeman and Hall resigned after Payne was hired? If so, I imagine they were forced to take significant pay cuts. Still though, I'd rather not have Wiedeman at all. The guy is a complete waste of space on the field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are in need of an update on this issue, please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've probably mentioned this to you before but I lived in Luanda for eight years. I miss it often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it is a little frusturating to not have any idea of how much cap space we have. Though I would guess with all the trades KP made on draft day, plus both the Plata and Hassli trades, that we have at least 500k if not more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I've probably mentioned this to you before but I lived in Luanda for eight years. I miss it often.
    Depending on when that was, if you went there now you would either love it or hate it. It is an extremely expensive, bustling at the seems, construction everywhere megapolis of over 5 million people.

I lived in Edmonton for a few years. I can not say I miss it, but I do miss the friends I made and still have there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell, we need an update from the club. Like, is Amarikwa still with the club? Has Welshman actually been signed to a contract?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    is Amarikwa still with the club? Has Welshman actually been signed to a contract?
    No. Yes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    No. Yes.
    thanks. do you know anything about supplemental draft picks being signed?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on when that was, if you went there now you would either love it or hate it. It is an extremely expensive, bustling at the seems, construction everywhere megapolis of over 5 million people.

I lived in Edmonton for a few years. I can not say I miss it, but I do miss the friends I made and still have there.
    Lived there from 80-88. Loved the people and the country, hated the situation, the poverty, barrio life for locals. I was a kid, so I didn't feel especially guilty as the kid of an petrofina manager to be living the colonial high life. But as I got older, the rank corruption, the soviets draining the country, the suffering -- all surrounded by this beautiful city, amazing country and nicest people on the planet -- was a lot to take at times.

So what you're describing at least sounds like progress of a sort. That's almost double the population in the city from when I was there, although I imagine landmine problem everywhere else has something to do with that.

You can still find old pictures of the southern cities from before the war. It's a shame that the Portugese, like most colonialists, were such bastards, holding down the population to maintain control for decades instead of affording them liberty through growth and education, then wisely leaving quietly.

Sorry all, off topic. Don't run into people from Angola too often!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks. do you know anything about supplemental draft picks being signed?
    Unfortunately not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the wrong keeper was traded to Portland.

Having Kocic's salary sitting on the bench would be a much easier pill to swallow than Frei's. With all the moves for allocation at the draft it appears as though the $50,000 or so between Frei and Kocic's salaries would've been big heading into the season. Of course it's too late to do anything about that now.

TFC always seem to have quality keepers but there is almost no trade value in keepers in the league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post

Having Kocic's salary sitting on the bench would be a much easier pill to swallow than Frei's. With all the moves for allocation at the draft it appears as though the $50,000 or so between Frei and Kocic's salaries would've been big heading into the season. Of course it's too late to do anything about that now.

TFC always seem to have quality keepers but there is almost no trade value in keepers in the league.
    Hindsight... And I doubt Portland would have taken Frei at his salary when they have Ricketts on 200k wage. That's too much money to spend on GKs

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't disagree with you but it seems weird that having someone outperforming Frei is a bad thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hindsight... And I doubt Portland would have taken Frei at his salary when they have Ricketts on 200k wage. That's too much money to spend on GKs
    Oh I know it wasn't realistic. There was also no way of knowing that Bendik would be playing at this high a level to start the year.

I just find it frustrating that the one area that TFC has been solid in throughout their existence they really haven't been able to benefit from. Ideally you would like to trade from your depth to help you in your weaker areas but that doesn't happen with keepers. NY was in need of keeper, even though they had 3 on the books, and chose to bring Hartman out of retirement instead of trading for Frei and releasing Robles (who hasn't played well at all this season).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the last we see of Frei? Looks like Bendick is the real deal and maybe its time we let Frei move on. Its hard to think this would happen but salary wise it would make sense.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I know it wasn't realistic. There was also no way of knowing that Bendik would be playing at this high a level to start the year.

I just find it frustrating that the one area that TFC has been solid in throughout their existence they really haven't been able to benefit from. Ideally you would like to trade from your depth to help you in your weaker areas but that doesn't happen with keepers. NY was in need of keeper, even though they had 3 on the books, and chose to bring Hartman out of retirement instead of trading for Frei and releasing Robles (who hasn't played well at all this season).
    Some thought NY had a strong GK pair of Robles, who looked good enough last season and Meara who is an up and coming youngster. Nobody predicted that Meara would get injured again and Robles would lose form so quickly.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Is this the last we see of Frei? Looks like Bendick is the real deal and maybe its time we let Frei move on. Its hard to think this would happen but salary wise it would make sense.
    Why? TFC doesn't have a cap problem (that we know of) and Frei's value is lowest in years. Max TFC would get out of a trade is small allocation or a 2nd round pick. If decision is going to be made, wait until mid season. And if Frei is traded, would you rely on Roberts as #2? Or try to look for an unproven cheap American GK?

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why? TFC doesn't have a cap problem (that we know of) and Frei's value is lowest in years. Max TFC would get out of a trade is small allocation or a 2nd round pick. If decision is going to be made, wait until mid season. And if Frei is traded, would you rely on Roberts as #2? Or try to look for an unproven cheap American GK?
    Im thinking about what will happen at the end of the year. I know its very early but Bendik seems to have slotted in well. Frei will actually probably ask for playing time or ask what his future here is. The question is will Frei accept a Kocic type role before he took over from him. Of course right now its pointless to trade him.

Its still very early though, Bendik could be a flop. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Richard; 04-16-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default how much money we have!!

I was reading the john bostock thread. Someone said if he wants 250k next year it might be too much. It got me thinking..
    Salary, cap, trade allocation, etc. how does it all work and where do we stand?
    Whats the cap, DP's arent counted as part of the cap?
    I remember hearing only so much of theyre salary goes against it. I know what some of our larger salaries are.
    I feel sorry for some talented younger players that may come here on a loan spell.
    Than find out how small the piggy bank is inside that top notch training facility

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gotta say those are some great links! I skimmed through them and will read up more later

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2013 player salary info has been released by the union:

http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html