PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Cuppy
08-09-2013, 05:51 AM
and nothing to show for it :)
6500 posts.... :party:

Suds
08-09-2013, 06:04 AM
So no new signings of players under contract to teams outside MLS. Attention now turns to free agents or players within MLS.

ensco
08-09-2013, 06:16 AM
and nothing to show for it :)

Not true. We picked up Al Location.

69Chevy396
08-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Not true. We picked up Al Location.
And he will probably be our top goal scorer this year. Hey Ensco, you have been here for a long time, how the fuck do you do it? And, tell me this whole bs episode with the non signings isnt similar to the Mo era? I still remember the mid field plaintive crap that autumn.....and, despite my being the minority in this forum who feels this organization continues to mire in shit, I am actualy part of a much greater whole who have abandoned this club over time. Lets see how the present day optimists feel when firstly,better mls teams smoke us the remainder of this wretched season, and then watch as the pattern continues next season, and the next. I have said this for years: when mlse is out of the picture this team will improve.

gate7
08-09-2013, 07:29 AM
just remember that the only reason Silva was tradable was because he actually was an asset......no one wants our garbage except us.

now.........how much is MLSE profiting this year from all these non signings???? ....this is the question

Stress
08-09-2013, 07:51 AM
I still think we'll sign someone but if not or if it's not a marquee signing, at least they won't (or shouldn't) be able to jack up the prices next year.

Oldtimer
08-09-2013, 07:57 AM
It is different from the Mo era: Mo would have signed someone, anyone, to look like he was doing something. You know, like a Mista. or maybe a Laurent Robert.

I'm actually pleased that they didn't pull the trigger on a lower-quality substitute. I'm disappointed, but willing to see this team get built properly, and KP is someone who can do it.

McBrace
08-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Well I guess they should focus on having a full squad for spring training. Something that I don't think has ever been accomplished in past seasons.

ensco
08-09-2013, 08:08 AM
And he will probably be our top goal scorer this year. Hey Ensco, you have been here for a long time, how the fuck do you do it? And, tell me this whole bs episode with the non signings isnt similar to the Mo era? I still remember the mid field plaintive crap that autumn.....and, despite my being the minority in this forum who feels this organization continues to mire in shit, I am actualy part of a much greater whole who have abandoned this club over time. Lets see how the present day optimists feel when firstly,better mls teams smoke us the remainder of this wretched season, and then watch as the pattern continues next season, and the next. I have said this for years: when mlse is out of the picture this team will improve.

The Silva deal casts a giant cloud, that's getting darker by the day. But let's be fair, Payne is totally different than Mo. He has a track record. He didn't do a panic-driven signing here, just to appease us, or the suits upstairs. Which is nice.

Mo was actually very good in the first year, but fell apart thereafter. Who knows why? Because the games with Anselmi got to his head? Maybe because he was too close to Barry McLean?

Leiweke is the guy that really worries me. His public statements have been a debacle, much more so than Payne's. I don't see how Leiweke and Payne can avoid clashing.

DaBandit
08-09-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm glad they didn't just go out and sign someone for the sake of signing someone, but I'm very disappointed.

At the end of the day this transfer window is a fail in my eyes, simply because this is a results based business and because of all the grand standing the management did over last few weeks. Sure they tried, but as per the ever wise yoda 'there is no try, only do'.. :)

tfcleeds
08-09-2013, 08:19 AM
I'm not going to give this transfer window an F grade certainly. We still could bring in new pieces (or at least announce them) before the end of the season, and we did bring in Rey and Elmer (who we really have yet to see play). But given the way KP and RN have been going on and on since the beginning of the season, it's pretty hard not to be disappointed in what's actually been accomplished during this window. I'll give it a C-.

TFC07
08-09-2013, 08:21 AM
We can still sign players who are not under contact (Urruti?). If we can get someone like Urruti then this summer signing isn't a lost for us.

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Maybe I got this all wrong but since Urruti voided his contract he wouldn't fall into the confines of this window and could still be in play right?

Payne said something like that during the Roma match.

Suds
08-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Maybe I got this all wrong but since Urruti voided his contract he wouldn't fall into the confines of this window and could still be in play right?

If he is considered out of contract, (or voided contract in his case), then he is still available to sign.

Haddy
08-09-2013, 08:33 AM
...and what of Ryan Nelsen's trip?

Should be back today if not already.

Suds
08-09-2013, 08:34 AM
^^
word from the twitterverse is his trip yielded no results - at least not for this transfer window

v00d00daddy
08-09-2013, 08:34 AM
It is different from the Mo era: Mo would have signed someone, anyone, to look like he was doing something. You know, like a Mista. or maybe a Laurent Robert.

I'm actually pleased that they didn't pull the trigger on a lower-quality substitute. I'm disappointed, but willing to see this team get built properly, and KP is someone who can do it.

I'm happy that they didn't jump to sign someone for shits and giggles too but we're left hoping that Urruti is actually out of contract now. That's the straw that we're grasping at and, to me, that means this transfer period has been a failure.

Rey looks decent and maybe even Elmer too but they're not the level of player that we expected. Expectations set by Payne and Co.

I don't know how you know, but I'm pretty sure even if Tevez doesn't come, the new management will want to make a splash more significant than Earnshaw.

That's what you said over 2 months ago. You were right. They wanted to make a splash bigger than Earnshaw, but they didn't.

You also have gone on record saying that the summer transfer record will be the key. If you thought this window would be the key and it has been a disappointment for you, then why such confidence in Payne?

I'm not saying Payne is awful by any means. But he has failed so far, even by your standards.

I appreciate the general idea of being positive going forward about this team, but we really need to be objective with what's been done so far while we'er being patient about the future.

v00d00daddy
08-09-2013, 08:37 AM

That's a big if though. Nobody knows how this will play out with Urruti. He's our glimmer of hope for this transfer period. Seems kinda anti climactic after all the Forlan/Best player in the leauge/our opponents will fear us talk.

If we can't land Urruti and our window amounts to:

-adding Rey
-adding Elmer
-adding UNUSED allocation money
-subtracting Silva

I'd call the first window a failure based on what we were told/leaked/promised.

Damien
08-09-2013, 08:40 AM
...and what of Ryan Nelsen's trip?

Should be back today if not already.

He actually went to The Bahamas and signed 2 coconuts and a pineapple.

In all seriousness though, I wonder why he thought flying overseas as opposed to
picking up the phone and talking to the player will make any difference?

Detroit_TFC
08-09-2013, 08:40 AM
C-/D+. The explanation for the short term loans early in the season was they were a bridge to the summer transfer window. Summer window comes, a few depth signing are made but all the target signings fail despite several of them very close to completion. So now we are in a made-do mode unless we find out of contract dudes, not exactly the talent pool we want to pull from.

Given that TFC entered the transfer market with money and wasn't able to successfully complete a major deal gives me great concerns about attracting international talent in the future.

Urruti may or may not still happen, as of right now that situation is seems far from getting resolved.

If this situation isn't a bleak as I think it is, I'd love to see some arguments in that direction.

Oldtimer
08-09-2013, 08:45 AM
You also have gone on record saying that the summer transfer record will be the key. If you thought this window would be the key and it has been a disappointment for you, then why such confidence in Payne?

My confidence is based solely on his record. Maybe TFC is totally cursed (or more likely has too terrible a reputation) and he cannot replicate here what he did in DC. But, we'll see.

I actually think the Urruti signing will come through, so I'm not as discouraged as some might be. If that's not the case, I'll have to re-evaluate.

I expected Payne to have a few key signings and a couple of role-players, so TFC is behind schedule in rebuilding. I'm really pleased with how Laba is turning out. So he doesn't get a pass, but if he signs Urruti he doesn't totally get a failure, either for this transfer window.

OgtheDim
08-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Meh......transfer windows should not be judged based on what was said but what has changed for our team and for others.

Talk means nothing. Expectations are always over blown. Heck, look at 90% of teams in the top leagues in Europe and how awful their communications are right now during transfer period.

Are we better now then at the beginning of the window? Yes
Are other teams better? Yes.
Have some teams made themselves more better then us? Yes, but not all.

Everything else is talk.

Canary10
08-09-2013, 08:46 AM
I'm fairly happy with the window. I agree their PR was over the top and raised expectations too much. But my major worry was a panic buy and they didn't do it. The fact that we're not talking about a major name signing to me is a good thing!

The big blemish to me is Silva. With that money not being used for anything, that trade no longer makes any sense. I'd rather he sat on the bench for the rest of the season if they couldn't find the right place for him (which they clearly couldn't) than trade him at this point.

I might be in the minority here, but I see this as a competitive team as it currently is. I think we'll end up in the mid 30s for points which is a reasonable improvement on last year and what I expected at the start. The foundation is there to add a few more offensive minded players, and we'll be in the pack.

Haddy
08-09-2013, 08:47 AM

In all seriousness though, I wonder why he thought flying overseas as opposed to

Out of respect, show commitment and satisfy an ego.

I prefer the pina colada version better :drinking:

Suds
08-09-2013, 08:48 AM

Always harder to say no face-to-face. Besides, when asking a player to make a huge decision on their career I think sending your head coach overseas to address concerns is a good move and I applaud TFC for doing so. It shows the player how serious they are and how much they value that player. It may not have worked out, but in this case I have to give Payne & co credit for being very professional in their actions.

JonO
08-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Nobody knows how this will play out with Urruti.
That's not quite accurate. None of us knows how this will play out with Urruti, but that doesn't mean TFC/MLS don't know how it will play out.

Also, although we have not used the allocation money, that does not mean we can't/won't next year.

OgtheDim
08-09-2013, 08:49 AM
But as God is my witness, if we still have Lambe on the payroll a year from now, I am going to scream something fierce.

NolbertoS
08-09-2013, 08:54 AM
I think Payne and Lieweke, should've kept there mouth shut this transfer window. By having the Forlan deal announced and than nothing made G&M look foolish, on top of MLSE. Then when alot of players they were pursuing didn't want to play for TFC, than you kinda figured, why are they chasing players that have no interest in the team and/or MLS. With Urruti, there was tweets and rumours he didn't want to come here too, and maybe still not coming, but if he is, guess the financial incentive was better than getting paid peanuts in Argentina. Although the league is struggling financially, they are still one of the top 3 leagues in the world that exports tons of players to Europe. MLS has along ways to go, but hoping more south american talent would come here over time. I can't wait to read Cathal's article, as I'm sure he'll rip Nelsen or MLSE, for hyping the window so much with potential signings only to show nothing. All smoke only.

JonO
08-09-2013, 08:56 AM
I can't wait to read Cathal's article
Don't see this phrase around these parts too often ;)

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 08:58 AM
The only really bleak thing is that Brockie is leaving and we have no decent second forward option after Earnshaw (who is only okay himself). Urruti would change my opinion of the window as it would address one of our two main needs with Rey addressing the other. I am not too bent out of shape on Silva leaving because I don't think he could physically handle our high pressure system and I think Osorio is better now and will grow to be much better in the central AM spot.

I never wanted a splash DP name and preferred building with youth and letting them grow together and develop much like what most everyone else on these boards was saying a couple months ago. That's why I never got all caught up in Lieweke's pronouncements or Payne and Nelsen's talk of best player in the league or anything. I didn't want it now and would rather add DP pieces when our base is more solid and a lot of folks here were saying the exact same thing a month ago. If we get Urruti as a young DP along with a hopefully a cheap Rey and Elmer then he would have done pretty much what I was hoping for.

v00d00daddy
08-09-2013, 08:59 AM
That's not quite accurate. None of us knows how this will play out with Urruti, but that doesn't mean TFC/MLS don't know how it will play out.

Also, although we have not used the allocation money, that does not mean we can't/won't next year.

I thought allocation money had to be used this year.

reggie
08-09-2013, 09:03 AM
oh well..more BS from the FO...maybe they can start to work on the roof now,maybe that is BS also.

reggie
08-09-2013, 09:07 AM

I think yr right...even more of a epic fail....all those great moves at the draft for what...I rather have manah then the 2 stiffs they drafted.

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 09:09 AM

Not necessarily. Depends on how it was agreed. It can be X amount in 2013, X amount in 2014, X amount in 2015, whatever. No one will ever know though.

Agree with the Lambe thought above. I am amazed/appalled that he is still here.

ensco
08-09-2013, 09:10 AM
I'm not going to give this transfer window an F grade certainly. We still could bring in new pieces (or at least announce them) before the end of the season, and we did bring in Rey and Elmer (who we really have yet to see play). But given the way KP and RN have been going on and on since the beginning of the season, it's pretty hard not to be disappointed in what's actually been accomplished during this window. I'll give it a C-.

They get an incomplete from me, but it's damn close to an F.

Everything they did, from the second Payne and Nelsen got here, was to move assets to buy allocation. Starting with the draft, all the way to Silva, and every move in between. All to build capacity to get decent players in. Which they failed to do.

Only reason they don't get an F is that they didn't sign someone stupid.

We would need to understand when the allocation acquired in the draft, and for Silva, expires, to have a better view of this.

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 09:15 AM
We would need to understand when the allocation acquired in the draft, and for Silva, expires, to have a better view of this.
Something never to be known. Could last forever for all we know. MLS backroom rules are all BS anyway.

bones
08-09-2013, 09:19 AM
I think Payne and Lieweke, should've kept there mouth shut this transfer window. By having the Forlan deal announced and than nothing made G&M look foolish, on top of MLSE. Then when alot of players they were pursuing didn't want to play for TFC, than you kinda figured, why are they chasing players that have no interest in the team and/or MLS. With Urruti, there was tweets and rumours he didn't want to come here too, and maybe still not coming, but if he is, guess the financial incentive was better than getting paid peanuts in Argentina. Although the league is struggling financially, they are still one of the top 3 leagues in the world that exports tons of players to Europe. MLS has along ways to go, but hoping more south american talent would come here over time. I can't wait to read Cathal's article, as I'm sure he'll rip Nelsen or MLSE, for hyping the window so much with potential signings only to show nothing. All smoke only.

To be fair, TFC/MLSE never announced a deal with Forlan. They have been clear they are (and have been) trying to sign Urruti and other bigger names. So far they haven't been able to sign Urruti or other bigger names.

The biggest problem with the expectation is actually US! We're on here going crazy with speculation feeding the media machine with ideas, escalating rumors which festers new rumors on tweets that lead to articles in the media yadda yadda yadda.

There is a fine line between transparency and tipping off your hand. I don't envy KP or TL's position. The demand for instant success regardless of the original words "...we want to be competitive this year while we overhaul the team for next season..." is so massive here again because of US fans/supporters sick of losing for 7 years.

I think if we get Urruti then they will have done an OK job doing what they set out to do. We may not like the lack of wins/success but deep down they have cleaned up some of what they needed to while sacrificing perhaps some of what they probably didn't want to also.

Oldtimer
08-09-2013, 09:20 AM

I think yr right...even more of a epic fail....all those great moves at the draft for what...I rather have manah then the 2 stiffs they drafted.

Not necessarily. Depends on how it was agreed. It can be X amount in 2013, X amount in 2014, X amount in 2015, whatever. No one will ever know though.

Allocation money is usually good for more than one season, but eventually expires (2-3 years).

Red Skies At Night
08-09-2013, 09:25 AM
The biggest problem with the expectation is actually US!

Too true.

MartinUtd
08-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Since we're doling out grades I'll rate this summer's transfers as a D

Dropped Silva and O'Dea, two players I liked but am fully on board with the reasons they were shipped out.

We added Convey and Rey on the wings, both for unknown costs so it remains to be seen if these guys will provide value. Thus far, I am impressed with Convey and have high yet still managed expectations for Rey.

Also added two options at full back, an area we need more cover in since Ecks keeps picking up knock and Richter/Morgan are not consistently reliable.

We're still out attacking options and that was really the main priority with wingers and defense being secondary. If they don't get someone like Urriti before Brockie is gone (not that he's that great) we'll really struggle in the final third. Don't even get me started on the lack of an attacking midfielder.. although we'll see how Osorio continues.

So in summary, we got the small pieces we want, but none of the big pieces. I expected a difference maker in the final third and we still don't have it.

D

notthesun
08-09-2013, 09:45 AM
I have two major issues with this window:

1. Payne and Nelsen talking us us up about "4-5 players" they're looking to sign, especially attacking players, and talk of DPs. We got 2 players, 1 of which is an attacking player, and no DPs. They need to learn to shut up about potential signings, it does nobody any good. Now not only does this window look like a failure by regular standards, it looks a failure by the standards they set themselves.

2. If you trade a good, established player, you better have a replacement lined up to sign very quickly. Doubly so when you're trading such a player for allocation. I don't mind the Silva move if we can bring in Urruti, but I do mind all this time we're going to be very short up front. And if we don't sign Urruti or someone similar this deal is a catastrophe. Payne should've held off on the trade if there was any doubt about getting Urruti this window.

metaxa
08-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Too much hype... all this talk of Forlan, other known DP's and not so known players... making statements like "where going to be dangerous the 2nd half of the season"... just dont say anything at all... disapointing

ag futbol
08-09-2013, 09:49 AM
I disagree that we're the problem with the expectation. They made noise about a difficult transition in the winter and basically pushed out expectations to the summer window, where we weren't expecting the team to be fixed instantly but add some important pieces.

They told us what they wanted to do, they didn't come through on it. More work to do for opening day 2014, because I have no interest in excuses at that point. They can sink or swim on their own.

ProfessorDamage
08-09-2013, 09:50 AM
The point of the transfer window is for clubs to add talent to improve the side's chances for the remainder of the season. On that front, Payne and Nelsen have been an abjet, utter and complete failure.

They moved all these players to open up cap and allocation, and for what? For nothing. The brand is so beaten down here that no one - not even the over-the-hillers from Europe we were able to attract in the past - will come here. Now, mind you, ironically this is also probably the only highlight of this window: that we didn't sign some near-retiree looking for his final payday.

We have NO GOALS in us. Like, almost none. I'm not exaggerating. If you understand it to be that to win football games you must score more than the other guy, then we're in deep shit.

ManUtd4ever
08-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Leiweke is the guy that really worries me. His public statements have been a debacle, much more so than Payne's. I don't see how Leiweke and Payne can avoid clashing.

This.

OgtheDim
08-09-2013, 09:53 AM

2. If you trade a good, established player, you better have a replacement lined up to sign very quickly. Doubly so when you're trading such a player for allocation. I don't mind the Silva move if we can bring in Urruti, but I do mind all this time we're going to be very short up front. And if we don't sign Urruti or someone similar this deal is a catastrophe. Payne should've held off on the trade if there was any doubt about getting Urruti this window.

I believe that trade was with the expectation of Forlan coming. There is a story there of some sort, as TFC were leaking that out; and I'm not talking the tweet of that now likely fired staffer. Something happened, either Forlan saying no or something else. Happens but it would be nice if one of the intrepid journalists we have covering this team would actually find out what exactly.

Regardless, I really hope that somebody somewhere rethinks the communication policy going on cause right now its far too haphazard.

shwade
08-09-2013, 09:59 AM
The bottom line is that management teased us with all these quotes and blurbs about how players were coming in including DP like players - and they have NOTHING to show for it. They set the expectations themselves and they failed.

Super
08-09-2013, 10:05 AM
We signed Rey and Elmer. Jury is still out on whether or not either will succeed here. They were unknown and from lower divisions in Europe. You can still find a gem here and there in lower divisions in Europe, but it's a bit of a risk. They're likely cheap, so we don't run much of a risk. We lost Silva, a decent player, so that has to be taken into consideration as well.

That's the sum total of the transfer window.

I'll give TFC an F on this window. Complete failure as far as I'm concerned.

However, they still may end up signing a few players outside of the window. But as far as this window goes: absolutely typical TFC failure - and good luck finding anyone outside of Toronto who wouldn't agree with that. Problem is far too many people are satisfied with mediocre. And that really is why we continue to struggle as a club. Standard needs to be set really high for us to be able to compete in this league. And not Leiweke fantasy high. But "get us players who can win us games" standard. Rey and Elmer aren't likely to be those guys. Maybe they'll help to strengthen our team, sure, but I doubt Leiweke and Payne would come out and say that these two guys are what they talked about when they said "BIG NAMES are coming" earlier in the season.

So yes, absolutely failure. Probably one of the worst transfer windows in the history of the club.

Now, having said that, I'm actually quite pleased with the current squad - and they're playing much, much better. We may just continue to improve, even without significant reinforcements. So that's what keeps me excited about TFC these days.

Suds
08-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Let's be clear, the window to sign is not completely closed. We could still see some players come in. (out of contract and other MLS players) Until such time that there is no more opportunity to sign a player I think we need to withhold final judgement on this window.

But yeah, we are now limited in who can be brought in so it is not looking to be great at this stage.

burlington Red
08-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Tough sell to bring in any DP quality players at this point.Most players would probably want to run out their existing seasons and start afresh with us next season, plus with world cup next year, players like this are more than likely internationals whose country will be at world cup and they want to play for them. Doesn't look too good on their form if they are playing for one of bottom teams in league, regardless of how their form is personally. Glad we haven't panic bought, although it would have been good to have brought in a striker (still might happen) and another attacking mid

ManUtd4ever
08-09-2013, 10:18 AM
If the Urruti signing goes through as anticipated, I'll be reasonably satisfied with this transfer window, because I never bought into the grandstanding by Leiweke regarding a marquee DP signing in the first place. My expectations were realistic.

I'm still pissed off about giving Silva away for allocation that hasn't officially been put to proper use yet, but I'll reserve judgement on that issue depending on what transpires in the coming weeks and the next transfer window, because the allocation could very be in play for the next 2 seasons if it was substantial.

Overall, I’m fairly pleased with the quality of the acquisitions since Payne’s arrival. I believe that the likes of Laba, Osorio, Caldwell, Earnshaw, Rey, and Elmer will be positive contributors to this club moving forward. The players that haven’t panned out were on loan for the most part.

The FO just needs to shut up and do their best behind the scenes.

Canary10
08-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Carlton Cole is still available on a free.

Wolves_On_Tour
08-09-2013, 10:23 AM
If the Urruti signing goes through as anticipated, I'll be reasonably satisfied with this transfer window, because I never bought into the grandstanding by Leiweke regarding a marquee DP signing in the first place. My expectations were realistic.

I'm still pissed off about giving Silva away for allocation that hasn't officially been put to proper use yet, but I'll reserve judgement on that issue depending on what transpires in the coming weeks and the next transfer window, because the allocation could very be in play for the next 2 seasons if it was substantial.

Overall, I’m fairly pleased with the quality of the acquisitions since Payne’s arrival. I believe that the likes of Laba, Osorio, Caldwell, Earnshaw, Rey, and Elmer will be positive contributors to this club moving forward. The players that haven’t panned out were on loan for the most part.

The FO just needs to shut up and do their best behind the scenes.

Agreed on all points, well said.

tfcleeds
08-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Funny how the general consensus of the Silva trade has swung in the other direction now that the window has closed, not just on these boards, but elsewhere as well.

burlington Red
08-09-2013, 10:26 AM

rather strangely, there was rumour he played a closed doors game for Spurs the other night.

wzhxvy
08-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Knowing these guys they might still announce a DP before the end of this season who would join the team next season.

Stress
08-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Knowing these guys they might still announce a DP before the end of this season who would join the team next season.

Payne actually said that's very likely. However, he also said a number of other things were very likely so we'll see. I think it will happen though. They desperately need something to help with renewals.

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 10:40 AM
So yes, absolutely failure. Probably one of the worst transfer windows in the history of the club.
Not even close. Last year signed Freddy Hall and overpaid for a decent O' Dea. Before that we traded a first rounder for Hassli, moved JDG for Wiedeman, and picked up Amerikwa for a supplemental pick. All moves that ended up making our team worse and the numbers proved it. This year we will not be worse.

TFC07
08-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Tough sell to bring in any DP quality players at this point.Most players would probably want to run out their existing seasons and start afresh with us next season, plus with world cup next year, players like this are more than likely internationals whose country will be at world cup and they want to play for them. Doesn't look too good on their form if they are playing for one of bottom teams in league, regardless of how their form is personally. Glad we haven't panic bought, although it would have been good to have brought in a striker (still might happen) and another attacking mid

Bingo. This is exact reason why Forlan didn't sign with TFC. I am sure once World Cup is over, TFC will get their big name DP.

DaBandit
08-09-2013, 10:43 AM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)1m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/365859725243453441)
No new player signings will be announced today, I am told. So Nelsen didn't bring back anyone from "overseas" with him. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

MartinUtd
08-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Tim and Kevin: "Don't worry guys, we got this. Next transfer window we're lining up Falcao"

Honestly, I'd be happy with Davide Somma at this point.

Canary10
08-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Not even close. Last year signed Freddy Hall and overpaid for a decent O' Dea. Before that we traded a first rounder for Hassli, moved JDG for Wiedeman, and picked up Amerikwa for a supplemental pick. All moves that ended up making our team worse and the numbers proved it. This year we will not be worse.

Thanks for that jolt of reality. I can't believe we did all that last year. If only Mariner was still around to continue his rebuild of the team!

Super
08-09-2013, 10:51 AM

Considering the huge promises (World Class player(s) coming) made by new management - and how EVERYBODY fell for that, I'd say this one ranks way up there. I don't think most of us had this much, if any, hope in any other transfer window in recent history.

Greatest Ripoff
08-09-2013, 10:55 AM
rather strangely, there was rumour he played a closed doors game for Spurs the other night.

and apparently scored two goals.

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 10:56 AM
If he'd do it for non-DP money I would do it. Otherwise not sure. Would be better than any of our current forwards.

Canary10
08-09-2013, 11:00 AM
If he'd do it for non-DP money I would do it. Otherwise not sure. Would be better than any of our current forwards.

I'm not a big fan of his, but have to agree.

He played for Spurs? Why?! That's a strange one.

Greatest Ripoff
08-09-2013, 11:01 AM

He was looking for £40,000/week with West Ham and they offered him less. So I don't see him coming as a non dp.

Oldtimer
08-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks for that jolt of reality. I can't believe we did all that last year. If only Mariner was still around to continue his rebuild of the team!

I prefer Preki and his Eastern European rejects. g:D

Canary10
08-09-2013, 11:05 AM
He was looking for £40,000/week with West Ham and they offered him less. So I don't see him coming as a non dp.

Looking for $40,000/week explains why he's available on a free.

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Considering the huge promises (World Class player(s) coming) made by new management - and how EVERYBODY fell for that, I'd say this one ranks way up there. I don't think most of us had this much, if any, hope in any other transfer window in recent history.
If everyone counted promises and hopes of managers then Man U would have Ronaldo, Alcantara, Baines, and Fellaini. Man U would keep Rooney and Liverpool would keep Suarez and everything would all peaching keen in northwest England. You follow Football enough you learn not to listen and more so invest your hopes into what managers say during transfer windows.

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 11:07 AM
I prefer Preki and his Eastern European rejects. g:D
Where is Usanov anyway?

DaBandit
08-09-2013, 11:10 AM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)1m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/365866413296451584)
Payne says #tfc (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash) still have sights on 2 major attacking players. Hopes to sign them in next 2 weeks.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)19s (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/365866943925858306)
Payne said deal for a major player fell through. Wouldn't say who. Declined to comment on Maxi Moralez reports and on Urruti's status.

Super
08-09-2013, 11:11 AM
If everyone counted promises and hopes of managers then Man U would have Ronaldo, Alcantara, Baines, and Fellaini. Man U would keep Rooney and Liverpool would keep Suarez and everything would all peaching keen in northwest England. You follow Football enough you learn not to listen and more so invest your hopes into what managers say during transfer windows.

Sure, but be fair here. You're saying there wasn't a LOT more expectations in this window than ever - considering what Payne and Leiweke said? Then you're probably the only one left not disappointed. Expectations were sky high.

Anyway, window is over, but we still have signings in our sight - but I'm not expecting anything this time. Payne & Co. have yet to deliver.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)21s (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/365866413296451584)
Payne says #tfc (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash) still have sights on 2 major attacking players. Hopes to sign them in next 2 weeks.

DaBandit
08-09-2013, 11:13 AM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)45s (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/365867223312642048)
Payne says fans shouldn't worry. Attacking reinforcements of DP quality are coming who weren't subject to transfer deadline.

LOL, they must be great then..

They will be announced as soon as the renewal period ends, trust me they will be great, and don't forget to renew your seasons

Ivy
08-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Well they have until sep. 15...

Super
08-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Well, Urutti is obviously still a target. So I think there's a pretty good chance we'll get him in the end.

OgtheDim
08-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Hmm....Payne presser on TFC TV later today by the sounds of things.

Condescending Larsen article in about 7 hours?

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Sure, but be fair here. You're saying there wasn't a LOT more expectations in this window than ever - considering what Payne and Leiweke said? Then you're probably the only one left not disappointed. Expectations were sky high.

I am pretty happy we didn't take Forlan. I will tell you that. Wasn't pleased with that whole concept at all. I of course wanted the Euro Maxi but he wasn't into it so what can you do? Rey and Elmer, even though I haven't seen much are pluses. Bloom and Thomas are depth. I will assume Urruti is one of the players Payne is mentioning and if he is and we get him then we came out of this window with what I wanted; depth, cap space, and most importantly young players.

tfcleeds
08-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Tim and Kevin: "Don't worry guys, we got this. Next transfer window we're lining up Falcao"Honestly, I'd be happy with Davide Somma at this point.Haha, still have a soft spot for him - hope he catches on somewhere. He'd be one more attacking option anyway, something of which we're not exactly in abundance. And he's played in this league.

Areathrasher
08-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Seriously, someone put a muzzle on Payne.

Regardless of Urruti, what free agent DP quality players are out there??

DaBandit
08-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Well they have until sep. 15...

right but how many of these types of DP quality players are out of contract? Most would be out of contract for a reason. Same old story at TFC, rather depressing.. Im sad, just want a decent team for once.. :(

notthesun
08-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Yawn. Tired of this back and forth with Payne. Needlessly raising expectations. Just give a non-answer ("we continue to pursue transfer targets"), keep working and surprise us for once. Again, if you miss this "next two weeks" deadline, you're just embarrassing yourself, and in a way which is completely avoidable.

PopePouri
08-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Marica?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciprian_Marica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciprian_Marica)

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 11:21 AM

Probably lots if you want to overpay. And by overpay, I mean really overpay.

Areathrasher
08-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Id rather they kept their mouths shut, money and DP spots in their pockets and wait till next Summer and after the World Cup.

tfcleeds
08-09-2013, 11:22 AM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)1m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/365866413296451584)Payne says #tfc (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash) still have sights on 2 major attacking players. Hopes to sign them in next 2 weeks. This tweet could have been today, one week ago, two weeks ago, one month ago. Seriously, Payne, STFU and just get the signings in before saying anything again.

jloome
08-09-2013, 11:24 AM

Tons, man. Just search Wikipedia for "footballer free agent -American"

There are some good names in there.

Cole won't be coming. He's a premier level goal scorer, even if he's getting older, and after the four teams interested in the prem, there are another five or six interested in the championship.

I consider this window a very bad sign. As much as Lieweke is lauded for LA, it was a total fuckup when he was actually involved (read the Beckham experiment); so far, Payne also looks like a remnant of the older league.

There are many, many free agents AND cheaper league players out there we could have obtained in this window. Our reputation outside of MLS is hardly known, so that's not really an issue, particularly with the money available.

This window, so far, has been an abject failure and does not look good on their abilities to scout and close a deal.

notthesun
08-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Oh never mind, now his timeline is an attacking player in a week and another the following week.

Put up or shut up.

Stress
08-09-2013, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't assume the 2nd player would be this season. Could be Urruti and a DP pre-contract announcement for January. The way things are going, it'll be Urruti and Earnshaw re-signed for another year.

Areathrasher
08-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Doesn't seem to have played much recently but Carlos Alberto, Ex of Porto and Vasco, is a free agent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Alberto_de_Jesus

Slim pickings for FA's in Argentina
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Acevedo would be the pick of a bad bunch.

jloome
08-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Doesn't seem to have played much recently but Carlos Alberto, Ex of Porto and Vasco, is a free agent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Alberto_de_Jesus

Look at his record. He gets loaned out more than Freddy Adu.

ag futbol
08-09-2013, 11:37 AM
This tweet could have been today, one week ago, two weeks ago, one month ago. Seriously, Payne, STFU and just get the signings in before saying anything again.
Think this guy needs to re-train his media strategy for a market that will actually pay attention to what he says.

Suds
08-09-2013, 11:38 AM
So I think it's clear they still have their sights set on Urruti, but who could the other DP quality attacking player be who's currently out of contract???

jloome
08-09-2013, 11:40 AM
So I think it's clear they still have their sights set on Urruti, but who could the other DP quality attaching player be who's currently out of contract???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvan_Ebanks-Blake

ProfessorDamage
08-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Our reputation outside of MLS is hardly known, so that's not really an issue, particularly with the money available.

Surely you're not being serious, because Google. Even Mariner knew how to use Wikipedia, too.

ag futbol
08-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Look at his record. He gets loaned out more than Freddy Adu.
He looks terrible. Quality of clubs he's playing for has steadily gone down and no good performances to speak of since 2009. Maybe if he can wrap his head around earning 150k in MLS you'd take a shot at it but otherwise it's not worth it.

Areathrasher
08-09-2013, 11:45 AM
So I think it's clear they still have their sights set on Urruti, but who could the other DP quality attaching player be who's currently out of contract???

I'm having a look through Transfermarkt to see what free agents are available and there isn't any DP talent. I posted 2 players further up the page but they are hardly DP quality.

jloome
08-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Surely you're not being serious, because Google. Even Mariner knew how to use Wikipedia, too.

Yes, that's right, footballers sit around Googling to see if they'll like the club their agent is talking to.

Be serious, man. We had a horrible five years before Torsten Frings and Danny K signed. Yet they signed.

Money talks. If a team having losing records prevented them from signing players, nobody would play for half the teams in Europe.

Areathrasher
08-09-2013, 11:47 AM
He looks terrible. Quality of clubs he's playing for has steadily gone down and no good performances to speak of since 2009. Maybe if he can wrap his head around earning 150k in MLS you'd take a shot at it but otherwise it's not worth it.

I posted Carlos Alberto to show what type of free agents are available. Not saying we should sign him.

It's speaking more to where the hell are these free agent attacking DP quality players coming from when anyone decent has probably signed elsewhere by now given the European leagues are starting to kick into gear.

jloome
08-09-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm having a look through Transfermarkt to see what free agents are available and there isn't any DP talent. I posted 2 players further up the page but they are hardly DP quality.

Transfermarkt is no more of a useful source than any other. Many, many players aren't up to date on there, or haven't been scouted, or haven't been sourced. It's an amateur database; pro databases cost money and are a lot more accurate. They include game film, contract details, club contacts ... the works.

DaBandit
08-09-2013, 11:49 AM
This tweet could have been today, one week ago, two weeks ago, one month ago. Seriously, Payne, STFU and just get the signings in before saying anything again.

wholeheartedly agree. walk the walk, not talk the talk..

Suds
08-09-2013, 11:50 AM

Interesting. Not sure I would pay DP money or use the slot. Maybe top up his pay with some allocation. Seems to be getting hit with some significant injuries the last couple of years.

BuSaPuNk
08-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Put up or shut up.

We found our banner.

Areathrasher
08-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Transfermarkt is no more of a useful source than any other. Many, many players aren't up to date on there, or haven't been scouted, or haven't been sourced. It's an amateur database; pro databases cost money and are a lot more accurate. They include game film, contract details, club contacts ... the works.

I am aware of that. I was using it to give myself a rough idea of whats out there as there are no in demand hot shot free agents floating around that I have heard of.

Given the constraints TFC are under to sign players, attracting DP attacking talent at the moment seems absurd.

DaBandit
08-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Tons, man. Just search Wikipedia for "footballer free agent -American"

There are some good names in there.

Cole won't be coming. He's a premier level goal scorer, even if he's getting older, and after the four teams interested in the prem, there are another five or six interested in the championship.

I consider this window a very bad sign. As much as Lieweke is lauded for LA, it was a total fuckup when he was actually involved (read the Beckham experiment); so far, Payne also looks like a remnant of the older league.

There are many, many free agents AND cheaper league players out there we could have obtained in this window. Our reputation outside of MLS is hardly known, so that's not really an issue, particularly with the money available.

This window, so far, has been an abject failure and does not look good on their abilities to scout and close a deal.

I will take your word for it because your very informed and I hope your right.. Cheers.

tfcmanu
John Molinaro‏@JohnMolinaro19m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/JohnMolinaro/status/365872749027147776)Kevin and Ryan talking to group of players like Welshman and other fringe players. #tfc (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash)
- SOMETHING GOING DOWN!

flamehawk

One of my all time favorites And one whom I think will fit our system.

Canary10
08-09-2013, 11:54 AM

He could be interesting. We haven't had a who ate all the pies player for a few years now.

ag futbol
08-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I agree. The universe of pro footballers that are useful to MLS clubs is just too wide to even bother searching.

Areathrasher
08-09-2013, 11:57 AM
John Molinaro‏@JohnMolinaro19m (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/JohnMolinaro/status/365872749027147776)Kevin and Ryan talking to group of players like Welshman and other fringe players. #tfc (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash)
- SOMETHING GOING DOWN!

"You're cut, you're cut"

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/5M2R3P-IN-Q/hqdefault.jpg

markie8002000
08-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Someone from Rosario in Argentina where Urruti would be... just randomly tweeted me and said his agent told today that his player will sign with Toronto FC in next hours... So take it for what his worth

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Money talks. If a team having losing records prevented them from signing players, nobody would play for half the teams in Europe.

This is true. Also look how many good players still sign for Turkish teams where you have a 50/50 chance of even getting paid.

PopePouri
08-09-2013, 12:04 PM
There's a few more:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/alejandro-cabral/profil/spieler_53472.html

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/ignacio-piatti/profil/spieler_37433.html

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 12:05 PM
He could be interesting. We haven't had a who ate all the pies player for a few years now.

With that rumor the price of pies in the GTA is reaching astronomical levels. Invest, invest, invest!!!

http://media4.jimcarroll.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/UpGraph.jpg

hulkrogan
08-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Someone from Rosario in Argentina where Urruti would be... just randomly tweeted me and said his agent told today that his player will sign with Toronto FC in next hours... So take it for what his worth

I know you said "take it for what its worth", so this is nothing against you, but twitter frustrates the hell out of me with false news reports. If I listened to twitter we've signed Urruti 6 times and he's flown to Toronto 4 different times, and is probably hanging out with our other acquisition, Forlan, right now. Oh, and 25 people are dead in the Boston Marathon bombings, and the bombers are middle eastern guys wearing turbans.

Pint
08-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Hmm....Payne presser on TFC TV later today by the sounds of things.

Condescending Larsen article in about 7 hours?

Wait an actual press conference? Or was this just a joke?

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Twitter rumor .

Edit: however it does line up with the tweet about Urruti signing within hours.

WestStandGeoff
08-09-2013, 12:12 PM
"You're cut, you're cut"

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/5M2R3P-IN-Q/hqdefault.jpg

Wiedeman, I like your hustle [Wiedeman smiles] . That's why it was so hard to cut you [Wiedeman's smile drops].

Red I
08-09-2013, 12:15 PM
John Molinaro 2/2 Payne "... change our team for several years to come."
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/JohnMolinaro)1m 1/2 Payne: "There will be some significant news ... probably 1 (signing) within a week and (another) within two weeks that will really #TFC (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Just stop talking for a bit, Kevin, please... make it happen, and we'll all be happy, but enough with the promises

Damien
08-09-2013, 12:23 PM
How about every time Kevin Payne fabricates the signing of a player, he get a paddlin...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqxgx0jwG71qcu04vo1_500.png

Wince
08-09-2013, 12:25 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)1m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/365866413296451584)
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Payne says #tfc (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash) still have sights on 2 major attacking players. Hopes to sign them in next 2 weeks.

Dear Lord!!! Not another two weeks of F-frakin'-5?!?!?

ag futbol
08-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Just as a further point of clarification. That "his agent says he's signing today" tweet comes from an Argentine Journalist. Not sure how credible he is, he has a fair number of twitter followers, and seems to respond to questions asked by people... so some must find him informative.

markie8002000
08-09-2013, 12:36 PM

More Molinaro Tweets :

1/2 Payne: "The fans should not be worried. ... Our fans should be comforted by the fact that we are going to get some signings done and...

2.2 Payne: "... we’re going to spend quite a bit of money on those signings.

Red I
08-09-2013, 12:39 PM
More Molinaro Tweets :

1/2 Payne: "The fans should not be worried. ... Our fans should be comforted by the fact that we are going to get some signings done and...

2.2 Payne: "... we’re going to spend quite a bit of money on those signings.

... that's a paddalin'

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Bah. I don't care about how much money they spend. That doesn't mean shit.

Wolves_On_Tour
08-09-2013, 12:40 PM
One of my all time favorites And one whom I think will fit our system.

Agreed, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake scores goals for fun when on form....could do with sone or two less pies though....

Wince
08-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Be serious, man. We had a horrible five years before Torsten Frings and Danny K signed. Yet they signed.

Was it "suffer the terrible team for $$$", or did the influence/reputation of Aaron Winter help in that regard?

TFC07
Agreed, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake scores goals for fun when on form....could do with sone or two less pies though....

I'd rather sign Urruti as our striker instead of Blake. Blake is going to cost a lot more money than Urruti and plus I like Urruti upside of becoming very good player in the long term.

Ultra & Proud
Hoofball!!!1!

CommradePolski
Just as a further point of clarification. That "his agent says he's signing today" tweet comes from an Argentine Journalist. Not sure how credible he is, he has a fair number of twitter followers, and seems to respond to questions asked by people... so some must find him informative.

I have 1350+ followers. If I say something would you say its credible? The amount of twitter followers one has means nothing.

To clarify, im not attacking you, I just think comments about number of twitter followers, which has been said before, really means nothing.

TFC07
08-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Was it "suffer the terrible team for $$$", or did the influence/reputation of Aaron Winter help in that regard?

You're right. Aron Winter played a huge role recruiting those two.

Damien
08-09-2013, 12:45 PM
... that's a paddalin'

See, it works!

Detroit_TFC
08-09-2013, 12:54 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 6m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/365891956129280001) I wouldn't get your hopes up about Urruti, #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) fans. That's all I can say on the matter right now.

#cursed

bones
08-09-2013, 12:59 PM
I know you said "take it for what its worth", so this is nothing against you, but twitter frustrates the hell out of me with false news reports. If I listened to twitter we've signed Urruti 6 times and he's flown to Toronto 4 different times, and is probably hanging out with our other acquisition, Forlan, right now. Oh, and 25 people are dead in the Boston Marathon bombings, and the bombers are middle eastern guys wearing turbans.

6 Urruti's and a Forlan?!?! We're gonna tear this leag....oh...crap :(

bones
08-09-2013, 01:01 PM
We found our banner.

I think "Sign'em up or shut up" followed by #GetUsedToIt :)

TFC07
08-09-2013, 01:02 PM
So who's coming? They're making it sound like we're getting someone really special here.

McBrace
08-09-2013, 01:02 PM
I have 1350+ followers. If I say something would you say its credible? The amount of twitter followers one has means nothing.

To clarify, im not attacking you, I just think comments about number of twitter followers, which has been said before, really means nothing.

For the record I can confirm Polski is full of shit! g:D

Ivy
08-09-2013, 01:16 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 6m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/365891956129280001) I wouldn't get your hopes up about Urruti, #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) fans. That's all I can say on the matter right now.

#cursed
no disrespect to John, but he has been mislead an out of the loop in terms of incoming/outgoing players for some time now.

jloome
08-09-2013, 01:17 PM
There's a few more:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/alejandro-cabral/profil/spieler_53472.html

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/ignacio-piatti/profil/spieler_37433.html

There are still some fairly known commodities (including Cabral) on the market; they just all come with some risk at this point, usually from age. Here are a couple more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julio_Arca

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yossi_Benayoun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hunt_%28footballer_born_1981%29

v00d00daddy
08-09-2013, 01:17 PM
no disrespect to John, but he has been mislead an out of the loop in terms of incoming/outgoing players for some time now.

Example?

T-boy
08-09-2013, 01:18 PM
If Urutti isn't coming, it could be somebody like Carlton Cole. He's a free agent, still a good age. I know some people on here will not like it, but realistically, he would be a fine MLS forward and more than capable at scoring a few goals in this league. Cole is a better player than, say, Kenny Cooper and Conor Casey, both of whom are solid MLS strikers. Cole would be better quality than both of them, no doubt.

pdogg

I'm not going to believe anything until I see Urutti holding up a jersey, ours or someone elses.

Stugatzo

You know...as a life-long Wolves supporter, I actually thought about him.
He was prolific in Wolves promotion season in 2009-ish, but really fell off once in the Premier League. A bit injury prone, but a tough as nails striker who could handle the level of play in this league.
He's NOT DP-level, though.

Ivy
08-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Example?
Latest? Elmer. Previous to that? Rey. He tweeted a day before Rey arrived that there are no imment signings.

Detroit_TFC
08-09-2013, 01:21 PM
That may or may not be true but would seem by his tweet that he has some inside info that the deal isn't happening any time soon. In the absence of any solid info to the contrary, I have to consider this done for now. I tweeted at the dude in Arg that has been saying he's already signed to find out what he has to say about it.

NolbertoS
08-09-2013, 01:24 PM
So you got an Argentine journalist saying Urruti is coming and John Molinaro saying he isn't?? So who's telling the truth?? And i like that banner, of Put Up or Shut up or "No Payne, No Gain :p". The FO should just instill media silence. They're gonna get so hosed by the media and neutral footir fans for promising the moon and bringing in a "reflection of the moon"

Canary10
08-09-2013, 01:26 PM
At the very least there are major barriers to him coming. I doubt the contract issue is clear cut. Probably better to be pleasantly surprised rather that assume it's happening.

Detroit_TFC
08-09-2013, 01:28 PM
And the answer:

Emmanuel Quispe ‏@emaquix (https://twitter.com/emaquix) 2m (https://twitter.com/emaquix/status/365901333598978048) @MrTuktoyaktuk (https://twitter.com/MrTuktoyaktuk) Patience. There will be news next week...

Derko
08-09-2013, 01:30 PM

I am joking here, but I do recall a '... Forlan is at BMO right know...' from a reliable source, you are funny

ag futbol
08-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Latest? Elmer. Previous to that? Rey. He tweeted a day before Rey arrived that there are no imment signings.
Yeah I tend to agree with you here. Molinaro is a good journalist, but not really the go to guy when it comes to transfer activity.

Greatest Ripoff
08-09-2013, 01:31 PM
If Urutti isn't coming, it could be somebody like Carlton Cole. He's a free agent, still a good age. I know some people on here will not like it, but realistically, he would be a fine MLS forward and more than capable at scoring a few goals in this league. Cole is a better player than, say, Kenny Cooper and Conor Casey, both of whom are solid MLS strikers. Cole would be better quality than both of them, no doubt.

I think cole would be good but his wage demands would be out of this world.

Ivy
08-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Yeah I tend to agree with you here. Molinaro is a good journalist, but not really the go to guy when it comes to transfer activity.
He's an excellent journalist. People may disagree with his opinions, but he always asks the right questions.
And I should rephrase my initial statement - it is not only John that's been out of the loop, it's all Toronto journies. The last one I remember being correct about a rumor was Canadian Press when they mentioned Laba.

Super
08-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Man, being a TFC supporter is all about patience these days, eh?

Play-offs? Have patience.
New big name players? Have patience.
Stadium roof? Have patience.

I'm running out of it.

CommradePolski
08-09-2013, 01:42 PM
I am joking here, but I do recall a '... Forlan is at BMO right know...' from a reliable source, you are funny

I also posted that on here first before I went to twitter trying to confirm by tweeting molinaro and larson and others.

But yes Im sorry my source was wrong. So very wrong.

v00d00daddy
08-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Well he did tweet about the minor signing (Aparicio) before it happened.

The day before the Elmer signing (July 31st) he was asked on twitter if there were any names floating around TFC. He replied yes but he couldn't share who specifically. Didn't see anything where he said that they weren't gonna sign anyone (Elmer). He actually asked Nelsen about Elmer on July 30th and got a "coy" response.

And on that same day he was also asked if he sees TFC making the big signings in the upcoming week (this week).

His reply: John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)31 Jul (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/362669991151149056)
@Toronto_Sports (https://twitter.com/Toronto_Sports) No, I don';t see it happening. Maybe next week. Aug 9 is ONLY for players under contract to other clubs.

So he was bang on for that one.

On Alvaro Rey on day before he signed.:

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)24 Jul (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/360069175093366784)
Source tells me that nothing has been signed between Alvaro Rey and #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash). It could still happen, though.

Is that way you mean by his tweet of no imminent signings?

I don't mean to work to defend Molinaro here but I found your comment strange because he's always been the best, least biased and least pot stirring guy reporting on TFC. He hinted a while back that he may stop covering TFC and I think that would be a terrible shame and loss.

wzhxvy
08-09-2013, 01:53 PM
John Molinaro is a good reporter and a dedicated one at that given the time he spends on this club. I am less worried about him being wrong on this (if he is) and frankly more appreciative that he is covering this team on a pretty much 24x7 basis. I would rather him than a motley crew that I would not want to run into a well lit alley or my living room.

PopePouri
08-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Man, being a TFC supporter is all about patience these days, eh?

Play-offs? Have patience.
New big name players? Have patience.
Stadium roof? Have patience.

I'm running out of it.

TFC fans not having patience #GetUsedToIt

v00d00daddy
As for people getting scoops on possible incoming players...there's really no need. The club leaks that info anyway. LOL

Unless you guys like relying on the guy that covers MLS for South America who has been saying Urruit is coming for the last 2 weeks but just keeps pushing the date back.

Now it's next week. LOL

shwade
And the answer:

Emmanuel Quispe ‏@emaquix (https://twitter.com/emaquix) 2m (https://twitter.com/emaquix/status/365901333598978048) @MrTuktoyaktuk (https://twitter.com/MrTuktoyaktuk) Patience. There will be news next week...

This guy has been tweeting that for weeks.

Canary10
08-09-2013, 01:57 PM
As for people getting scoops on possible incoming players...there's really no need. The club leaks that info anyway. LOL

Unless you guys like relying on the guy that covers MLS for South America who has been saying Urruit is coming for the last 2 weeks but just keeps pushing the date back.

Now it's next week. LOL

When someone tells you something you don't want to hear, the first reaction is to question the source.....

v00d00daddy
08-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Emmanuel Quispe ‏@emaquix (https://twitter.com/emaquix)8 Aug (https://twitter.com/emaquix/status/365528738546462722)
Ex #Racing (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Racing&src=hash) y #Velez (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Velez&src=hash) MAXI MORALEZ (Atalanta) no aceptó oferta de #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) de @MLS (https://twitter.com/MLS). Ryan Nelsen (DT #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)) fue a Italia y no pudo convencerlo

Loosely translated. Maxi Moralez of Atalanta in Italy didn't accept TFC's offer. Nelsen went to Italy but couldn't convince him.

Who knows? LOL

evermorian
08-09-2013, 01:59 PM
I love how the FO's failure to deliver on their promises during this transfer window has now made the news! http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2013/08/09/4176021/rudi-schuller-tfc-misfired-with-too-much-talk-little?ICID=HP_HN_1

v00d00daddy
08-09-2013, 02:01 PM
When someone tells you something you don't want to hear, the first reaction is to question the source.....

Emmanuel Quispe ‏@emaquix (https://twitter.com/emaquix)6 Aug (https://twitter.com/emaquix/status/364836485096153089)
Finally, URRUTIGATE is over... #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) has a new striker: MAXI URRUTI

Emmanuel Quispe ‏@emaquix (https://twitter.com/emaquix)6 Aug (https://twitter.com/emaquix/status/364834534094688256)
#TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash): Argentine FW MAXI URRUTI will join @TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/torontofc). Former #Newells (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Newells&src=hash) travelling to Canada on Thursday or Friday @MLS (https://twitter.com/MLS)

Emmanuel Quispe ‏@emaquix (https://twitter.com/emaquix)3 Aug (https://twitter.com/emaquix/status/363720633907032064)
#TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash): [CONFIRMED] Former #Newells (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Newells&src=hash) MAXI URRUTI will join @TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/torontofc). Argentine striker travelling to Canada on TUESDAY

Emmanuel Quispe ‏@emaquix (https://twitter.com/emaquix)1 Aug (https://twitter.com/emaquix/status/363127248603213824)
#TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash): Argentine Forward MAXI URRUTI (22) says goodbye #Newells (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Newells&src=hash)... Hello #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash)? http://bit.ly/136tpbd (http://t.co/Wv02Cm7fSX) | #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash)

v00d00daddy
08-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Then today he posts:

Emmanuel Quispe ‏@emaquix (https://twitter.com/emaquix)23h (https://twitter.com/emaquix/status/365548638983819264)
#TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash): New #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) signing MAXI URRUTI is still in Argentina. Patience... #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash)

Maybe he should take his own advice and show some patience and restraint before making the bold statements from earlier this week.

Canary10
08-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Then today he posts:

Emmanuel Quispe ‏@emaquix (https://twitter.com/emaquix)23h (https://twitter.com/emaquix/status/365548638983819264)
#TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash): New #TorontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC&src=hash) signing MAXI URRUTI is still in Argentina. Patience... #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash)

Maybe he should take his own advice and show some patience and restraint before making the bold statements from earlier this week.

Sorry, my message was meant for people questioning Molinaro.

v00d00daddy
08-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Sorry, my message was meant for people questioning Molinaro.

Ahh okay. Sorry. I misunderstood as well.

Cheers.

TOBOR !
I love how the FO's failure to deliver on their promises during this transfer window has now made the news! http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2013/08/09/4176021/rudi-schuller-tfc-misfired-with-too-much-talk-little?ICID=HP_HN_1

This isn't news. This is mountains out of molehills.

Canary10
Ahh okay. Sorry. I misunderstood as well.

Cheers.

I linked it to the wrong message from you. Sorry about that.

v00d00daddy
08-09-2013, 02:15 PM
I linked it to the wrong message from you. Sorry about that.

No probs at all.

Areathrasher
08-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Salary info released.

Caldwell at 90k!!!!
Elmer 130k
Rey 200k

AdamAM
08-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Salary info released.

Caldwell at 90k!!!!
Elmer 130k
Rey 200k

Caldwell is a bargain. I wouldn't mind bumping him up to 150-200.
Haven't seen much playing time for Elmer, but judging from the Roma game +his pedigree (Chelsea academy) + his age 130k seems pretty good.
Going to have to see more of Rey to fairly judge him, but based on his limited minutes and his pedigree, 200 is a little much.

ag futbol
08-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Terry Dunfield is at the bottom and still on MLS payroll. Who knows what that means in terms of TFC's cap hit, but it just serves to remind me why I hate Paul Mariner so much.

AdamAM
08-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Does anyone think that when Nelsen made the "other teams will be scared of us" comments, he was thinking we'd end up with Forlan, Urruti AND Moralez up front? Maybe things were going well and he thought that was a good possibility, because that would definitely be the best AM/Striker trio in the league.

AlanO
08-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Salary info released.

Caldwell at 90k!!!!
Elmer 130k
Rey 200k
O'Dea's cap & allocation hit was approx the same as these three guys combined. Shows how much better the new regime manages the salary cap.

Now if only TFC could land those elusive strikers... :)

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Salary info released.

Caldwell at 90k!!!!
Crazy value!

69Chevy396
08-09-2013, 02:55 PM
I am pretty happy we didn't take Forlan. I will tell you that. Wasn't pleased with that whole concept at all. I of course wanted the Euro Maxi but he wasn't into it so what can you do? Rey and Elmer, even though I haven't seen much are pluses. Bloom and Thomas are depth. I will assume Urruti is one of the players Payne is mentioning and if he is and we get him then we came out of this window with what I wanted; depth, cap space, and most importantly young players.
Like the one signed by Montreal? How about that young player with promise who DC just got for a song? you know I like your incredible optimism, but as much as you dislike my negativity, your posts could be written by Paynes admin assistant.

OgtheDim
08-09-2013, 02:56 PM

When Molinaro tweets like that about KP or Nelsen, it usually means there was a press scrum, which is what I meant.

v00d00daddy
08-09-2013, 03:02 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-president-insists-new-players-are-coming-in/

Payne on Urruti:

“He’s not our player. I do know he’s a fantastic player … and he’d be a lovely addition to our team, but he’d be a lovely addition to any team. At the moment though he’s, I think, under contract.”

Well that's kind of worrisome.

nfitz
08-09-2013, 03:07 PM
This isn't news. This is mountains out of molehills.That the club time and time again makes mountains out of molehills, with unfilled promised signings is indeed not news.

If I got a free ticket for everytime I've heard that our magical fix is just a couple of weeks away from being signed, I'd have a lifetime subscription by now.

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 03:16 PM
I think the best thing to do is to not expect some magical fix. At least we're not doing the usual TFC and panic buying expensive never beens.

Greatest Ripoff
08-09-2013, 03:27 PM
How about that young player with promise who DC just got for a song?

Are you talking about Silva? He is 25 later this year. Not exactly a young player especially by footballing standards.

EDIT: and at what age are you no longer considered "promising"?

Stress
08-09-2013, 03:27 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-president-insists-new-players-are-coming-in/

Payne on Urruti:

“He’s not our player. I do know he’s a fantastic player … and he’d be a lovely addition to our team, but he’d be a lovely addition to any team. At the moment though he’s, I think, under contract.”

Well that's kind of worrisome.

Those are actually Nelly's words and after I read that I was less concerned about John's tweet that he thinks it's not happening. Nelly tends to act dumb when asked about some of these potential targets and given Payne's "no comments" I believe they are still trying to work out a deal but it's still very complicated (as we all know).

Damien
08-09-2013, 03:33 PM
I think Caldwell's salary might be lower than it actually is due to Allocation money being applied to it.

CoachGT
08-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Best thing to do is ignore anything coming from front office or the coaching staff. I'll believe when I see a player step into the pitch in our kit. Until then everything is speculation.

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Are you talking about Silva? He is 25 later this year. Not exactly a young player especially by footballing standards.

EDIT: and at what age are you no longer considered "promising"?

I think Silva is past the promising stage but he could round out into an average MLS goal scorer (7-12 goals) with the right set up. He will never be a good AM in this league in my opinion. His movement is questionable and he gets lost for long, long stretches of matches. His vision is often mentioned but for every wicked through ball he sends there are usually 4-5 brainless dump offs that lead to possession lost. When Mariner had him at forward he was at his best and DC was pushing him up when he nipped his 3 goals so far.

ManUtd4ever
08-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Well, the MLS roster freeze is September 15th if I'm not mistaken, so Payne and Co. still have time to back up their words with actions. I'm still cautiously optimistic that there will be 1-2 quality additions up front.

jloome
08-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Those are actually Nelly's words and after I read that I was less concerned about John's tweet that he thinks it's not happening. Nelly tends to act dumb when asked about some of these potential targets and given Payne's "no comments" I believe they are still trying to work out a deal but it's still very complicated (as we all know).

Under FIFA regulations, if a player is under contract or deemed to be potentially under contract pending review, a team is not allowed to publicly discuss acquiring them. They can say they like them, or if their contract is within six months of being over they can talk about them, because under Bosman regs they're open to negotiate. But anytime before then it's calling "tapping up" and it's heavily fined if determined.

CoachGT
08-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Haven't checked the thread on my phone, but just saw that David Bentley from Spurs (by way of a few loans) is out of contract and is talking to MLS.

gate7
08-09-2013, 04:28 PM
And the answer:

is this a copy/paste from March?

OgtheDim
08-09-2013, 04:43 PM
When Molinaro tweets like that about KP or Nelsen, it usually means there was a press scrum, which is what I meant.

And...here it is.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/08/09/kevin-payne-august-9-2013

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/08/09/ryan-nelsen-august-9-2013

You know, every single time I see lots of tweets and know there was a press scrum, I am going to wait to hold judgement until I see the whole of the video.

Without seeing the whole, it is really difficult to judge.

hulkrogan
08-09-2013, 05:00 PM
I hope Jonas Elmer doesn't ever listen to these Payne interviews... yikes... How to feel valued by the organization... haha.

Gaucho
08-09-2013, 05:00 PM
I think Silva is past the promising stage but he could round out into an average MLS goal scorer (7-12 goals) with the right set up. He will never be a good AM in this league in my opinion. His movement is questionable and he gets lost for long, long stretches of matches. His vision is often mentioned but for every wicked through ball he sends there are usually 4-5 brainless dump offs that lead to possession lost. When Mariner had him at forward he was at his best and DC was pushing him up when he nipped his 3 goals so far.

You're still clueless. I don't know how you watch soccer matches, and what qualities you are biased toward, but your assessment of Silva is waaay off. He already is a good AM in this league and the DC United fans appreciate what he brings. The concensus of those fans seems to be that Silva is their best player. For some reason, he is a prized player at DC already, and it's not just b/c he's scoring. People recognize the quality player he is including his movement, hustle, intelliegence and skill. Great attitude as well. Not sure why I'm wasting my time replying to something you say over and over again, actually :)

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 05:03 PM
You're still clueless. I don't know how you watch soccer matches, and what qualities you are biased toward, but your assessment of Silva is waaay off. He already is a good AM in this league and the DC United fans appreciate what he brings. The concensus of those fans seems to be that Silva is their best player. For some reason, he is a prized player at DC already, and it's not just b/c he's scoring. People recognize the quality player he is including his movement, hustle, intelliegence and skill. Great attitude as well. Not sure why I'm wasting my time replying to something you say over and over again, actually :)
These are things that make it clear you see Silva with rose colored glasses.

moralis
08-09-2013, 05:03 PM
It seems from this article it seems a deal for Urruti could be in place and could travel to Toronto in couple of days:

http://ahoradeportes.com/noticias/la-ciudad/newells-old-boys/26559-cuestion-de-tiempo.html

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fahoradeportes.com%2Fnoticias%2Fla-ciudad%2Fnewells-old-boys%2F26559-cuestion-de-tiempo.html

Milanista
08-09-2013, 05:07 PM

In MLS your AM better be one of your DP's...If Silva is going to be that player than ur team is in big trouble. The guy is 25 and is hot and cold, way too inconsistent and to be honest nothing special at all. Osorio will be a much better player by the time he hits 25 if he isnt already better than him

Ultra & Proud
08-09-2013, 05:07 PM
It seems from this article it seems a deal for Urruti could be in place and could travel to Toronto in couple of days:

http://ahoradeportes.com/noticias/la-ciudad/newells-old-boys/26559-cuestion-de-tiempo.html

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fahoradeportes.com%2Fnoticias%2Fla-ciudad%2Fnewells-old-boys%2F26559-cuestion-de-tiempo.html
That is probably the worst Google translated page ever. From it I take it that Urruti is building a gym somewhere?

But really, it looks like he will be coming eventually. Too much noise down there.

Milanista
08-09-2013, 05:08 PM
That is probably the worst Google translated page ever. From it I take it that Urruti is building a gym somewhere?

But really, it looks like he will be coming eventually. Too much noise down there.
lmao

OgtheDim
08-09-2013, 05:12 PM
One of the intriguing things in the midst of all that is the GK coach wanted Kerr, "said he was the guy". I wouldn't make too much of that as I'm pretty sure Nelsen has a thing about players having to work their way into the squad, and if Frei hadn't got injured, I'm sure he would have started as #1.

But, they seem to think Bendik is the future.

Globetrotter
08-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Can someone quote me and reply with the answer (quote me so it comes up in my notification)...

Did we sign Urruti? Can we still sign him?
Did we sign Forlan? Can we still sign him?

Thanks

NolbertoS
08-09-2013, 05:42 PM

Here's a quick translation without google spanish translate

Pure controversy was the exit of ex-forward of Sagrado Corazon, with broken words and promises and a history that will end with the club as the main loser, by losing an active player.

From the player’s perspective, as per a conversation with AhOradeportes.com, they found out that his flight to Toronto is imminent, even though the transfer market closes tonight, the non-contractual players are free to negotiate for one more week, the same as the Argentinian futbol rules.

With this information, his flight will be resolved this weekend or Monday, but his arrival to the Canadian club is a question of time, only because the “Leper” club has to negotiate the compensation. The truth is the negotiations dictate that the futbol player will arrive as a free agent.

With respect to the money, Newell’s Old Boys will receive, the MLS club will free up approx $1 Million as a conditional compensation. Furthermore, the player will be in charge of the construction of a gym for the club, even though there’s no more details about this.

In the meantime, Newells Old Boys did not appear to be inactive by crossing there arms?? (meaning twindling there thumbs) and have solicited a letter to the AFA to not send the TMS transfer papers to the player nor to any foreign institution. Even though FIFA, from what others heard, has authorized the deal.

jloome
08-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Furthermore, the player will be in charge of the construction of a gym for the club, even though there’s no more details about this.

????
Does anyone else feel like they're taking crazy pills, being a fan of this team?

I love TFC, but there is always weird crap going on with respect to transfers that makes me wonder who's greasing who. We've now got three left backs: one national team member who has becomne inconsistent; one Swiss guy the president of the club can't remember and one signed (but on loan?) from an NASL team and who never seems to play. Shades of Killian Elkinson.

Who's doing who favors?

Ivy
08-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Wait... So Urruti will actually be in charge of building a gym? Those Argentines do business weird.

OgtheDim
08-09-2013, 05:57 PM
What a bunch of :jester:

If part of the transfer is NOB gets an upgrade on some facilities, what you think the likelihood is that whoever builds that is a family member of the club chairman?

Dv23
08-09-2013, 06:02 PM
So the Moralez signing fell through and the Urruti signing seems to be more complicated than ever. Jeez. Sometimes I hate how right I am.

Guys... I had a dream last night. Spoke to Kevin Payne as he was entering my old middle school accompanied by a bunch of ball kids. He told me that the signings have taken another unexpected turn, and that Nelson's being away was actually a bad thing, as it meant that they were clutching at straws. As all of you might know, I am psychic when it comes to TFC, so this upset me greatly.

The whole middle school part of the dream was clearly a sign that we were going to bring up a youth player today. My god.. It makes so much sense.

evermorian
08-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Interesting article regarding the state of affairs of Argentinian football from the view point of Newell's recently departed coach. I don't blame Urruti for wanting to leave an Argentine football landscape in such disarray.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/136359/best-soccer-coaches-also-leave

Haddy
08-09-2013, 06:23 PM
After watching Payne's scrum, I think it's safe to guess one of the two players he hopes to sign in the coming weeks will not be joining the club until January. Obviously considering another recent comment.

So that means one player will help soon....and the other will help ticket renewals.

shrug

Just win and you can take as long as you want.

WestStandGeoff
08-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Fuck the gym, I'm more concerned about this leprosy compensation they're worried enough about to mention it three times. Is there now some leper colony involved we should know about?

NolbertoS
08-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Fuck the gym, I'm more concerned about this leprosy compensation they're worried enough about to mention it three times. Is there now some leper colony involved we should know about?

Don't know if you're being serious or silly :p. Newell's Old Boys nickname is the "Leper" team

Jack
08-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Wait... So Urruti will actually be in charge of building a gym? Those Argentines do business weird.
My impression is it's more like he would pay for it. "Se hara cargo" translates to something like "take care of" or "take charge of", as opposed to "be in charge of".

NolbertoS
08-09-2013, 07:13 PM
My impression is it's more like he would pay for it. "Se hara cargo" translates to something like "take care of" or "take charge of", as opposed to "be in charge of".

Well, yeah he will be in charge, which means he will pay for it and be responsible to provide it. So that means TFC will build NOB a free gym as I doubt Urruti could afford a $2M or less standard gym construction with probably state of the art equipment that NOB would want. Seems TFC, is going to be in the construction business too :D :p TFC is so charitable that they provide 1st class facilities to a "leper" colony :D :p

OgtheDim
08-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Seems TFC, is going to be in the construction business too...

Somewhere Anselmi is sharpening up his pencil getting ready to work.

Ivy
08-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Pfftttt... There's a few treadmills on kijiji for cheap. Send them shits over there and call it a gym.

Jack
08-09-2013, 07:47 PM
It's not like MLSE is inexperienced in that field g:D

jazzy
08-09-2013, 08:19 PM
We found our banner.

fookin right......

jazzy
08-09-2013, 08:22 PM

are we this dumb?............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................probabl y

jazzy
08-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Well, yeah he will be in charge, which means he will pay for it and be responsible to provide it. So that means TFC will build NOB a free gym as I doubt Urruti could afford a $2M or less standard gym construction with probably state of the art equipment that NOB would want. Seems TFC, is going to be in the construction business too :D :p TFC is so charitable that they provide 1st class facilities to a "leper" colony :D :p

tax write off...:)

Chevy
08-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Pfftttt... There's a few treadmills on kijiji for cheap. Send them shits over there and call it a gym.

Urruti-robics? It could catch on.....

Haddy
08-09-2013, 09:07 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but if TFC is found to be paying any settlement fees, could that be interpreted as a transfer fee and subject to a rule infraction? I mean, it seems a bit questionable. Player quits for x reason, club complains and new club pays a fee to smooth it over and get their man as a 'free agent' outside of the designated transfer window. What a scheme!

flatpicker
08-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but if TFC is found to be paying any settlement fees, could that be interpreted as a transfer fee and subject to a rule infraction? I mean, it seems a bit questionable. Player quits for x reason, club complains and new club pays a fee to smooth it over and get their man outside of the designated transfer window. What a scheme!

Shhhh...

Don't rat them out!

Abou Sky
08-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but if TFC is found to be paying any settlement fees, could that be interpreted as a transfer fee and subject to a rule infraction? I mean, it seems a bit questionable. Player quits for x reason, club complains and new club pays a fee to smooth it over and get their man as a 'free agent' outside of the designated transfer window. What a scheme!

I think that is the kind of stuff Payne was brought in to do.

WestStandGeoff
08-09-2013, 09:26 PM

I don't know... I see it more like TFC and NOB coming to an out-of-court agreement to drop the lawsuit. No different than you falling down the stairs at BMO and suing the team, then getting a payout in exchange for signing an agreement where they admit no fault but you can't sue anymore.

With that said, like a slip and fall lawsuit, you probably get one kick at it before you start getting your get a paddling for it.

SKB
08-09-2013, 10:24 PM

People are making too big of a deal about Silva. Yes he is a nice player, but he got traded because of the growth and upside of Orosio who is 5 years younger, also they just promoted the young kid from the acadamy who they think has great potential and they will eventually bring another attacking midfielder. So the depth in that position is very deep. In a perfect world they would have wanted too hang on to Silva and trade him later. However, the offer they wanted came up now, so you do the deal. This is one of those trades that is good for DC, good for TFC and good for Silva.

ginkster88
08-10-2013, 01:01 AM
Is it not more probably that the sale of Urruti will pay for new facilities? We did the same thing with Edu, afterall.

69Chevy396
08-10-2013, 06:44 AM
People are making too big of a deal about Silva. Yes he is a nice player, but he got traded because of the growth and upside of Orosio who is 5 years younger, also they just promoted the young kid from the acadamy who they think has great potential and they will eventually bring another attacking midfielder. So the depth in that position is very deep. In a perfect world they would have wanted too hang on to Silva and trade him later. However, the offer they wanted came up now, so you do the deal. This is one of those trades that is good for DC, good for TFC and good for Silva.
Trade? Why do so many of you call this a trade? DC got a promising MLS player who was not being used properly by a rookie manager. In return, TFC got NOTHING.

OgtheDim
08-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Trade? Why do so many of you call this a trade? DC got a promising MLS player who was not being used properly by a rookie manager. In return, TFC got NOTHING.

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nill y:

:rolleyes5:

People disagree with you. Deal with it.

Have some coffee Chevy. You'll have lots of opportunities today to make some valid points.

69Chevy396
08-10-2013, 07:08 AM
:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nill y:

:rolleyes5:

People disagree with you. Deal with it.

Have some coffee Chevy. You'll have lots of opportunities today to make some valid points.
Ya ya, i know. I think I may move to Montreal and drink an espresso.

Milanista
08-10-2013, 08:24 AM

Maybe TFC didn't want anything in return bc they are cutting contracts, to make space for players they want

Silva is fukin trash, not gonna cut it as a AM for a top club. Do you ppl even watch football? My god the hard on for this guy is unreal, Osorio is already a better player than him for crying out loud

denime
08-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Maybe TFC didn't want anything in return bc they are cutting contracts, to make space for players they want

Silva is fukin trash, not gonna cut it as a AM for a top club. Do you ppl even watch football? My god the hard on for this guy is unreal, Osorio is already a better player than him for crying out loud

Agree 100%

Ultra & Proud
08-10-2013, 08:36 AM

I call it the Eric Avila Syndrome. Because a player can make a pass or two and dribble he becomes god-like after leaving. That being said Silva is way better than Avila but he still isn't as good as some people think he is. He is average at best.

v00d00daddy
08-10-2013, 08:37 AM

Opinions on Silva aside....TFC said it was an offer they couldn't refuse. So apparently somebody liked Silva. There are also reports that several teams were interested in him.

Even if he's not starting XI calibre for our team, he still could have been used to help us score a bit more than we have been this year. And if we haven't used the allocation money that we got in trading him it seems like a huge waste to have shipped him out for no reason at all.

If they needed to move him to facilitate other moves, they should have come through with those moves. The fact that they didn't is a mark on our club.....instead, some people have chosen to call Silva trash and talk about how shit a player he is.

All this when we have guys like Russell, Lambe, Hall, Convey, Braun, Brockie trying to contribute to our offence. Only Lambe makes less than Silva did.

So please, if Silva is shit and done and has no future potential, then what value do the guys I listed bring? Surely they're all better than him and should garner us more allocation than Silva did.

No?

Or was it just a fuck up on the clubs part in thinking that Silva would soon be a spare part.....and it turns out, he isn't. If we still had him, he'd still be getting playing time.

Milanista
08-10-2013, 08:41 AM
44 games played the guy scored 5 goals

I believe Osorio has 4 in like 9 games?

denime
08-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Opinions on Silva aside....TFC said it was an offer they couldn't refuse. So apparently somebody liked Silva. There are also reports that several teams were interested in him.

Even if he's not starting XI calibre for our team, he still could have been used to help us score a bit more than we have been this year. And if we haven't used the allocation money that we got in trading him it seems like a huge waste to have shipped him out for no reason at all.

If they needed to move him to facilitate other moves, they should have come through with those moves.

Allocation money does not have expire date,who cares if we are going to use it now or two weeks from now, or next year,we got a lots of allocation $$$ for him and that's what counts,eventualy it will be used to get a player that we want/need.

Milanista
08-10-2013, 08:42 AM

If they needed to move him to facilitate other moves, they should have come through with those moves.

The team thought they could get that player they wanted locked up, so they needed to get rid of contracts. This is the MLS realistically what u gonna get for Silva? A crap player in return? another draft pic? We don't need any of those things, we need proven players plain and simple

v00d00daddy
08-10-2013, 08:46 AM
The team thought they could get that player they wanted locked up, so they needed to get rid of contracts. This is the MLS realistically what u gonna get for Silva? A crap player in return? another draft pic? We don't need any of those things, we need proven players plain and simple

Do you like Bobby Convey? I don't. But lots of people do.

I may not like him but it's hard to argue that he hasn't helped this team. I would have preferred that they get more than an undetermined amount of allocation money from Kevin Payne's ex team. Especially when there are reports that other teams were interested. It all seems a little sketchy to me.

v00d00daddy
08-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Allocation money does not have expire date,who cares if we are going to use it now or two weeks from now, or next year,we got a lots of allocation $$$ for him and that's what counts,eventualy it will be used to get a player that we want/need.

Even if that's true.....he wasn't traded as quickly as he was to facilitate a move after the transfer window or next year. He was moved to help them acquire transfer targets from this window. They failed at that....so right now, he was moved for nothing.

denime
08-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Even if that's true.....he wasn't traded as quickly as he was to facilitate a move after the transfer window or next year. He was moved to help them acquire transfer targets from this window. They failed at that....so right now, he was moved for nothing.

How was he moved for nothing when we still has allocation $$$?

We got offer we couldn't refuse,probably more $$$ than he is really worth,we didn't signed a player in this transfer window,so what?We will sign one or two in next 2 weeks or 6 months,we got $$$ for him,period.

Milanista
08-10-2013, 09:00 AM

We got offer we couldn't refuse,probably more $$$ than he is really worth,we didn't signed a player in this transfer window,so what?We will sign one or two in next 2 weeks or 6 months,we got $$$ for him,period.

:drum:

T-boy
08-10-2013, 09:01 AM

What if we got $300 to $500k allocation money for Silva? I would take that! That's going to help no end in the long term. Unfortunately, we all want success now, but it doesn't happen like that. Allocation is worth gold in the MLS.

Ultra & Proud
08-10-2013, 09:01 AM
It was probably done so fast because the offer was there, was good, and Forlan was pretty much coming. We'll never get a straight answer on what happened but if the rumour that he wanted an extra $3M all of a sudden was true or if he just decided to stay close to home there's not much you can do. I'm happy that never worked out anyway. Another way to look at it is that the allocation for Silva may be the reason we signed Caldwell for $90K. Since allocation amounts are a mystery maybe it was enough to cover Caldwell, Rey, and Elmer. Or maybe even Urruti if all the stories about gym building are true.

If at the end of the day we lost Silva, Dunfield, and O' Dea but gained Caldwell, Rey, Elmer, Bloom, Thomas, and Urruti then I consider us at least moving in the right direction so far.

Ultra & Proud
08-10-2013, 09:08 AM
And since Silva is an AM and we have Osorio there he would not start in that position here ever. Osorio is much, much better than Silva. Silva is massively ineffective used wide so midfield is out for him here and I admit he could be playing forward for us now but I wouldn't consider him a future forward. We could do better and if we manage to get Urruti then there is a younger, better forward with more upside than Silva. I never said Silva was shit either. I just see him as an average MLSer.

BeachTory
08-10-2013, 09:11 AM
That we dont know how much allocation we got is why all of us arm chair GMs get into a bother. Every player has a price ( see Gretzky, W) to a team or GM. or maybe Silva wouldnt give Payne the VIP password to Club Escobar....

the lack of transparency in the league keeps player prices down. I wonder how long that lasts with the new CBA.

v00d00daddy
08-10-2013, 09:16 AM
We'll never know how much we got for him. That part sucks. But if allocation is gold in MLS and we got A LOT for Silva, then it makes sense that he's a valued commodity in this league.

And I'm not suggesting that we should have kept him because he's better than Osorio or anything like that. I just don't like the fact that last year at this time he was a bright spot in an otherwise awful roster.

Now, a year later, he's expendable, reached his potential, trash, etc?

Then he goes on to score 3 goals in three games at his new club. LOL

Ahh well. I hope Denime is right about the allocation money not having an expiration date on it. I was under the impression that it had to be used this season.

If we have 200-300k more to spend on players because of the Silva deal and it never expires then I'm fine with the deal.

But I won't be fine with people shitting on him as a player. I don't rate guys that can run, run, run (lambe, russell, hall, Braun, Brockie) with nothing to show for it, over guys who may be a lot slower and a little more lazy, but have skill and vision.

sashavukelich
08-10-2013, 09:16 AM

+1. People are being reactive..the whole story of the pro/cons of the Silva trade hasn't been revealed. I think some folks need a valium.

69Chevy396
08-10-2013, 09:21 AM
44 games played the guy scored 5 goals

I believe Osorio has 4 in like 9 games?
First, you can refrain from trying to trash talk me into an argument, about watching soccer. You have no idea what you are saying, and honestly, I dont give a shit. Silva, as a reminder to those of you who still have a memory, was picked by our illustrious mlse bosses over other college players for a reason. If he did not work out at TFC, is that because everybody who considered him a star college player a fool, because they dont watch soccer or something, or was it because like others before him, he suffered from playing with crap players here, and for an inexperienced coach? No surprise he would score now with DC. Anybody who watches soccer would notice the difference immediately.

Milanista
08-10-2013, 09:49 AM
First, you can refrain from trying to trash talk me into an argument, about watching soccer. You have no idea what you are saying, and honestly, I dont give a shit. Silva, as a reminder to those of you who still have a memory, was picked by our illustrious mlse bosses over other college players for a reason. If he did not work out at TFC, is that because everybody who considered him a star college player a fool, because they dont watch soccer or something, or was it because like others before him, he suffered from playing with crap players here, and for an inexperienced coach? No surprise he would score now with DC. Anybody who watches soccer would notice the difference immediately.

WOW A STAR player in a US COLLEGE, sign him for millions please.

Avg player, will never be a superstar. TFC needs a DP at AM, if you can't see that than whatever. Keep crying about losing a 25 yr old guy who is already been replaced by a younger/better/cheaper/Canadian player.

OgtheDim
08-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Silva is going to be a decent MLSE style in behind the front man domestic forward. I hope he does well. He's likely to be an 8-11 goals a season man IF he starts to go out and find space. He doesn't do that right now (his goals have been running into channels with the ball).

We are better off with the allocation we got for him, and with Osorio.

And even then, Osorio is going to be the backup AM next season.

notthesun
08-10-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm pretty sure allocation expires after like 2 years. I've heard many times there's an expiration date, but it's MLS so if you don't work in a team's front office you don't know for sure. I'm pretty confident it does eventually expire though.

Anyways. I don't mind the Silva trade. He did become a little expendable with the rise of Osorio. I think he can be an above average player in this league. My issue with the trade, as I said earlier, is that I feel like Payne should've had an immediate replacement lined up for him. Not a player he's pursuing, I mean a player he's deep into talks with and there's a clear indication the player is keen and a deal will be signed. Because v00d00 is right, Silva would be getting minutes at striker for us right now, and I'd rather have him than Braun/Wiedeman/Brockie. Payne surely was looking to use Silva's allocation on a player this window, and it sounds like the other two he's after were going to be signed regardless. So will he just use the allocation on them instead? Who knows. I just wonder how much of a concrete plan he had when he got the phone call to make this deal. Or is this the first time Payne actually isn't overhyping something when he says the deal really was THAT good and he had to make it now?

And yet even considering all that, by some stroke of fortune we're 2-0-1 since trading Silva. Can't say I'm bothered by him scoring goals elsewhere when we're winning without him.

burlington Red
08-10-2013, 10:13 AM
a lot of players who sign for a new club do really well in their first few games, see Earnshaw for us. Silva scored early for us in his career against LA if I recall. Let's talk about Silva after 8-9 games, after 15-20 games, if he is still knocking in goals then maybe we messed up, but I think after this little hot streak he will settle back to being that frustrating nearly good player he was for us.As many have said, he did have potential but at 25 you really need to be at your peak not threatening to be. Osario is better than him now and much younger. Always sad to see players who clearly have ability leave, but that is the nature of the game

DaBandit
08-10-2013, 10:21 AM

They got allocation for him. Which I'm assuming they used at least in part to sign Rey and the LB (who's name is apparently too hard to remember, ;) ). Logically I would assume that TFC was smart enough to start using DC's allocation given to them right away since there is some sort of time limit on it and they can use their own allocation at any time for future signing, if and when we ever sign someone..

Milanista
08-10-2013, 10:21 AM
lets sign E'Too