PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2013 general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

nonc
06-08-2013, 11:00 AM
My wife's been preaching that since '07. She's a tad bias though ;)

That a good woman. :)

Haddy
06-08-2013, 11:35 AM
But if you wanna talk non-DPs which is more important, you're probably not gonna get a better player for $175-300K than a Serb or Croat who has had international experience or been in that conversation. They'd be interested in MLS for a number of reasons, the main one we can pay them more even as non-DPs.

You can also make them feel quite comfortable playing in the Toronto area. From Oakville to Grimsby and everywhere in between there is a massive community that represents the Balkans region. I honestly had no idea until I met my wife....but now I understand her Stony Creek joke (you're either Tony with a Y or Toni with an I). No offense meant.

For now, though, I'd prefer TFC continues to build its very raw efforts in South America. At least until more scouts are hired.

Pint
06-09-2013, 11:33 AM
@MLSsocceritalia: Dejan #Stankovic to terminate his contract (expiring 2014). He got offers from #TorontoFC and #Montreal
http://t.co/efLTFD0TWf @24thminute

Richard
06-09-2013, 11:48 AM
What is the point of signing him? He would just take up the development time from younger players on the squad, he should be a sub which I do not see him agreeing too. Otherwise just being a mentor to teach some of the players. Even if the deal is for half the season its a bad one as it takes away development time, its not like he is a long term piece. This strikes me as a saving face type signing to look respectable, which is wrong when the core of young players need time to gel.

__wowza
06-09-2013, 02:48 PM
don't know if it's been posted here yet, but bostock just got released by spurs.

first we waive him, then they release him. not a good month for the kid.

Relja
06-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Please get Stankovic. Or at the very least don't let montreal get him....

Ivy
06-09-2013, 08:21 PM
I KNEW MTL wouldn't pass this up... He'll go there. Guaranteed.

BuSaPuNk
06-09-2013, 08:29 PM
^ so negative. I wouldn't want to make that love let Montreal have him. Lets build young. Laba is a good start we should be looking at young players in lower divisions around Europe and Central and South America.

TFC07
06-09-2013, 08:34 PM
I would be surprised if we get Stankovic. I except the players we sign in summer from Europe will come from England and Spain. There's a reason why we got our coaching staff scouting over there right now.

mcolvy
06-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Why didnt we get Will Johnson salary dump this summer?????....

Canadian and captain material?? You kidding me. This guy is what we needed... and why would we let him go off to portland

Voodooman
06-10-2013, 12:59 PM
You can also make them feel quite comfortable playing in the Toronto area. From Oakville to Grimsby and everywhere in between there is a massive community that represents the Balkans region. I honestly had no idea until I met my wife....but now I understand her Stony Creek joke (you're either Tony with a Y or Toni with an I). No offense meant.

For now, though, I'd prefer TFC continues to build its very raw efforts in South America. At least until more scouts are hired.

Haha I had to laugh at that. But there is also huge communities in Milton/Mississauga as well so don't forget about them. It seems though that a lot of those players go to Toronto Croatia instead of MLS however. There is around 6-7 players from Croatia on that team. They also would rather play for teams like Hajduk or Dinamo over MLS I am pretty sure as well.

Nuvinho
06-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Why didnt we get Will Johnson salary dump this summer?????....

Canadian and captain material?? You kidding me. This guy is what we needed... and why would we let him go off to portland

He was asked where he wanted to be traded to and he said Portland.

crozack
06-10-2013, 02:35 PM
The domestic leagues are pretty appalling though. With the exception of Vrsaljko from Zagreb i can't think of anyone even worth a look? There may well be a few Croatians moving around the lower leagues in Europe in the coming future with Croatia joining the EU this summer i guess.

We still haven't tapped into many of the closer markets in North or south America. It's a lot harder to attract younger players from Europe, the MLS is almost a horizontal step in terms of furthering career potential, especially if you're from a club like Zagreb who get a shot at Europe most seasons.

I always thought this kid would be perfectly suited for the MLS.....Never made his mark on the NT but still has wonderful creativity on the ball.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anas_Sharbini

Super
06-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Article on the current woes of John Bostock:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2337599/John-Bostock-looking-new-club--happened-Tottenham-Crystal-Palace-player.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Pint
06-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Article on the current woes of John Bostock:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2337599/John-Bostock-looking-new-club--happened-Tottenham-Crystal-Palace-player.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Honestly he wasn't great for us but for the money he was making we could do much worse.

Bostock at 80-100K is a useful MLS player with potential.

CommradePolski
06-10-2013, 03:06 PM
We shouldve kept Bostock. The guy is only 21 and his salary is pretty low for a quality 21 year old in the MLS. He has plenty of time to develop a better attitude and grow as a player still. He is a risk Id be willing to take.

v00d00daddy
06-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Bostock is a one footed player who only looks to share the ball as a 3rd or 4th option. Futsal skills alone do not a football player make. He needs to REALLY readjust his game to continue to be a paid footballer. He may have it in him to do so but I'm glad it's not at TFC's expense. Good riddance.

Richard
06-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Good riddance indeed, unless he changes his overall attitude towards the game he is good as done. Scum type player to me, always looking to trick the ref and the nonstop flops is just disgusting, get on with it and play the game. Even at reserve matches he continued to flop, just pathetic.

Ron Manager
06-10-2013, 03:49 PM
I am giving the coaching staff enough credit to assume their may have been other issues than just on field performance. He may have felt MLS a bit beneath him after the praise he leapt onto the scene with in England just a few short years ago. What looked to me to be the biggest limiter on his potential was effort and you don't fix that with a new contract.

Red I
06-10-2013, 03:52 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2337461/Premier-League-released-players-list-Filippo-Mancini-released-Manchester-City-Tottenham-release-William-Gallas-David-Bentley.html

Complete List of Premier League Players released... Let the Toronto FC signing rumour mill begin!!

flamehawk
06-10-2013, 04:03 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2337461/Premier-League-released-players-list-Filippo-Mancini-released-Manchester-City-Tottenham-release-William-Gallas-David-Bentley.html

Complete List of Premier League Players released... Let the Toronto FC signing rumour mill begin!!

Ryan Nelsen on that list. I think he's worth a shout, should help shore up our defences. ..ah wait

ag futbol
06-10-2013, 04:41 PM
The thing is for what he's "worth" to TFC (probably 80-120k) he can readily get more somewhere in europe. Not really worth our time.

Let's not forget he takes up an international slot as well. I think I'd rather gamble on someone else, even at that low dollar value.

Derko
06-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Good riddance indeed, unless he changes his overall attitude towards the game he is good as done. Scum type player to me, always looking to trick the ref and the nonstop flops is just disgusting, get on with it and play the game. Even at reserve matches he continued to flop, just pathetic.

I wonder if that type of play, had been learned from watching greater players than him, just curious.
:hump:

Detroit_TFC
06-10-2013, 07:25 PM
I am giving the coaching staff enough credit to assume their may have been other issues than just on field performance. He may have felt MLS a bit beneath him after the praise he leapt onto the scene with in England just a few short years ago. What looked to me to be the biggest limiter on his potential was effort and you don't fix that with a new contract.

Agreed on all points. Attitude adjustments for loanees not what RN wants to spend his time on.

Canary10
06-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Did Marcos Senna sign for TFC? Apparently he is announcing tomorrow that he signed with an MLS club. Solid player.

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/10833619

Jack
06-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Did Marcos Senna sign for TFC? Apparently he is announcing tomorrow that he signed with an MLS club. Solid player.

37 years old and a DM. I don't think we need that.

reggie
06-11-2013, 01:59 PM
FRINGS/CESAR.....part 2

Ivy
06-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Maybe DC or Philly... I don't see TFC spending any more money on a position they just forked out 1.35 million for.

Canary10
06-11-2013, 02:02 PM
37 years old and a DM. I don't think we need that.

We can change the chant to:

When it comes to defensive midfielders, I'll take all I can get
I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough.

For all the 90 minute goals that ruined many a bet.
I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough.

Or something like that.

Ivy
06-11-2013, 02:10 PM
I HOPE this isn't what O-man went to Spain for...

ensco
06-11-2013, 03:23 PM
He's not a DP.

Senna has to be going to NY or LA. Why else come to MLS if you are making non-DP money?

Ivy
06-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Stable paycheck, green card, and a place to retire... I figure that after 15 years of being recognized everywhere you go, some of these guys just want peace and quiet.

notthesun
06-11-2013, 06:02 PM

Yeah, really solid player... during Euro 2008. I'll pass.

BuSaPuNk
06-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Stable paycheck, green card, and a place to retire... I figure that after 15 years of being recognized everywhere you go, some of these guys just want peace and quiet.

Almost why guys in the NHL want to play in Nashville or San Jose. I don't think it's that bad here. Your still under a microscope no where close to big clubs in Europe but still should be well known.

ensco
06-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Almost why guys in the NHL want to play in Nashville or San Jose. I don't think it's that bad here. Your still under a microscope no where close to big clubs in Europe but still should be well known.

NHL guys choosing anonymity has no parallel in MLS but tons of parallels in world football. Lots of top football players choose lesser teams in the top football leagues. They take slightly less dough (but still a boatload) and get to preserve their sanity.

If there were a market for 33 year old NHL former allstars an any other market than their home country, we'd see the same thing. Guys would pick Stockholm over Dresden, if the money were equal. No insult to Dresden.

BuSaPuNk
06-11-2013, 08:10 PM
^ I think it does though outside of a few names, big name players to us who follow the sport would notice but I'm pretty sure guys wouldn't have a problem walking down the street here.,

tfcleeds
06-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Haven't heard the name 'Marcos Senna' in at least a couple of years. I'll pass, thanks.

CretanBull
06-11-2013, 08:54 PM
We desparately need a leader, Massimo Ambrosini is out of contract...

boozilla
06-11-2013, 10:40 PM
O'Dea has been a good leader for about 88 min. a game. We need a closer.

Ivy
06-12-2013, 06:20 AM
He's gonna get a contract in Europe. Even if he didn't, the Impact would sell their left testicle for this guy.

v00d00daddy
06-12-2013, 06:35 AM
He's gonna get a contract in Europe. Even if he didn't, the Impact would sell their left testicle for this guy.

Love the guy but he's not the type of player we need.

And yes...he'd probably go to Montreal first if he was considering MLS. Wouldn't you? lol

CretanBull
06-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Love the guy but he's not the type of player we need.

And yes...he'd probably go to Montreal first if he was considering MLS. Wouldn't you? lol

You're right on both accounts, but still wouldn't it be nice? As far as the type of player that we need...the type that we need is "good" and "gives a shit" and Ambrosini fits the bill there. I'd be willing to pay him for his intangibles as much as anything else - we're a rudderless team, he'd be our rudder (who can also get up high and use his head to smash in a corner - when was the last time we saw that?). Montreal would be the obvious choice if he wanted to leave Europe, but we could pay him more.

Red Skies At Night
06-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Massimo's agent has come out and said the player is not moving to mls... reports say he will sign in the uk...

COYI :D

CretanBull
06-12-2013, 08:28 AM
West Ham wanted him before, I wonder if he'll end up there?

Haddy
06-12-2013, 08:29 AM
As far as the type of player that we need...the type that we need is "good" and "gives a shit" and Ambrosini fits the bill there.

Remains to be seen how much he cares outside of the Azzurri and Milano. But yes, TFC could do worse.

Personally, I'd prefer to see players join that still have something to prove. Age doesn't bother me so much. If that's him, and I doubt it, then great.

tfcleeds
06-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Skysports reporting that Ambrosini has already ruled out MLS. Being linked with a move to the Prem.

Haddy
06-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Skysports reporting that Ambrosini has already ruled out MLS. Being linked with a move to the Prem.

West Ham.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2339902/West-Ham-target-Massimo-Ambrosini.html#ixzz2VwrceaQl

Haddy
06-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Latest on Senna: http://www.football-espana.net/31705/senna-ends-villarreal-career

Story says Cosmos in MLS....I assume that's RBNY. Nothing official yet.

OgtheDim
06-12-2013, 09:32 AM
He might be going to the Cosmos and doesn't realise what that means.

tfcmanu
06-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Álvaro Rey set to join Toronto FC?

http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/6/12/4422878/alvaro-rey-toronto-fc-transfer-rumor-xerez-spain

tfcmanu
06-12-2013, 11:01 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81lvaro_Rey

Canary10
06-12-2013, 11:05 AM

http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/6/12/4422878/alvaro-rey-toronto-fc-transfer-rumor-xerez-spain

Ultra and Proud will be happy about that one. Assuming he's good enough to usurp Reggie Lambe. Hard to believe he wouldn't be.

Ivy
06-12-2013, 11:47 AM
@futbolMLS: Giovani dos Santos quiere seguir en España, mientras que Massimo Ambrosini es tentado por #LAGalaxy y #TFC: http://t.co/PPfavEtfxw

CretanBull
06-12-2013, 11:58 AM
^ :wink5:

ag futbol
06-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Well at least we have something to talk about now, it was getting dead around here.

No thanks to Ambrosini. I like him, still think he can play, but for a MLS team on a limited budget that is nowhere close to winning? It's simply not the right fit. Leadership problems can be solved in other ways.

We'll see how this Spanish winger turns out but sounds to me like a very unknown quality.

mowe
06-12-2013, 12:19 PM
^ We need a winger in the worst way + He can't possibly be worse than what we have right now = I like this move

Wonder how much the cap hit is though, according to a Google translation of the Spanish report the TFC offer is "economically very juicy."

No way he's a DP, but for reference does anyone know how much 2nd division Spain footballers get paid?

Haddy
06-12-2013, 12:28 PM
No way he's a DP, but for reference does anyone know how much 2nd division Spain footballers get paid?

A winger, with no scoring track record, who couldn't hold down a spot on one of the Segunda's worst teams. It's also not the first time he's been a part of relegation. Doubt he's a bank breaker.

tfcmanu
06-12-2013, 12:33 PM
A winger, with no scoring track record, who couldn't hold down a spot on one of the Segunda's worst teams. It's also not the first time he's been a part of relegation. Doubt he's a bank breaker.

His last season with Xerez saw Rey make a total of 29 appearances scoring 3 goals and picking up 5 assists. He did miss a stretch of games due to injury but managed to finish strong featuring in 4 of the clubs last 6 matches in league play.

Ivy
06-12-2013, 12:35 PM
O'Dea has been a good leader for about 88 min. a game. We need a closer.

^ We need a winger in the worst way + He can't possibly be worse than what we have right now = I like this move

Wonder how much the cap hit is though, according to a Google translation of the Spanish report the TFC offer is "economically very juicy."

they get paid with NSF cheques... If they're lucky.

tfcmanu
06-12-2013, 12:35 PM
http://www.eldesmarquecadiz.com/noticias-xerez/33103-alvaro-rey-deja-el-xerez-y-se-marcha-al-toronto-fc-de-la-major-league-soccer

Alvaro King left the Xerez. It was somewhat expected, but his destiny if you call a lot of attention. Has been told ElDesmarque Jerez, Seville end goes to the Major League Soccer in the United States and will play in the Toronto FC.
The good season made by King, only marred by injuries that have prevented contest a good number of parties, has caused that has been a player with offers and has opted for the possibility, that it is economically very juicy.
Thus, Alvaro King changed the League forward by the Major League and a city like Jerez by Toronto, Canada.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/images/stories/xerez/Cristo_2012_2013/Jugadores/Rey/rey1.jpg

ag futbol
06-12-2013, 12:45 PM
^ agreed it can't be worse, but I'd be more excited to see something from Central America given that's where some real gems have been lately.

Anyway, lets see how he does. I know it's generally not accurate but transfermaket has him at 800,000 so one way or another it's unlikely he's coming cheap

Ivy
06-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Nesta was also listed for a boat load, but somehow MTL is paying him less than we do to Ecks. If there's a will, there's a way. I trust Payne knows ways of getting around the cap.

Ultra & Proud
06-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Ultra and Proud will be happy about that one. Assuming he's good enough to usurp Reggie Lambe. Hard to believe he wouldn't be.
At this point I will try anything to get Lambe moved further and further down the bench. I loved the last match without him. His subtraction from the starting lineup was probably as much a positive as the insertion of Osorio was.

OgtheDim
06-12-2013, 01:26 PM
When it comes to Lambe, lets put it this way.

He plays for Bermuda. They lost to England C 6 -1 the other day. England C is made up of the best of non-league. They are at about the quality level of mid range U-21 age European teams like U21 Turkey or U21 Serbia, without the occasional star.

Now, I like non-league; I even support from far away a non-league team. But, losing to England C is pretty bad for a full national team.

If he's the best winger they got, and they are that bad....well....I'd put him at about the level of a good Canadian U20 player.

For a guy costing us an international spot, he's not worth it.

Canary10
06-12-2013, 01:42 PM
At this point I will try anything to get Lambe moved further and further down the bench. I loved the last match without him. His subtraction from the starting lineup was probably as much a positive as the insertion of Osorio was.

It looked like he had some tools last year but I agree he's not been at all good this year. Thinking back, the fact that it was Mariner who signed and hyped him up that preseason should have set off warning bells right away. Still I thought he showed some promise last year.

Ultra & Proud
06-12-2013, 01:56 PM
It looked like he had some tools last year but I agree he's not been at all good this year. Thinking back, the fact that it was Mariner who signed and hyped him up that preseason should have set off warning bells right away. Still I thought he showed some promise last year.
I agree that he seemed to have something last year. Not sure how he fell so fast but it seems a few of our players have really dropped off this year. Now all Lambe is good for are two foot (often misplaced) passes, poor decisions, and a whole lot of whining and shoving. He is the true meaning of addition by subtraction. Hopefully he gets set adrift to free up an international spot for someone with some hope.

Globetrotter
06-12-2013, 01:57 PM

Can't keep his spot for a 3rd division Spanish league team, and we're after him? :facepalm:

It's interesting being in a position where we don't have the luxury of being the top league in the world. We're spoiled with being the top division in 4 major world sports and always drawing the best talent.

ag futbol
06-12-2013, 02:01 PM
For a guy costing us an international spot, he's not worth it.
Agreed. Unless he's only a small amount of time from getting residency that avoids taking up the international slot, he should be toast. Maybe he should be toast anyway, but if he's not taking up a spot I'd let him sit deep on a bench to see if he can develop further.

But this whole thing just goes to serve how Paul Mariner had absolutely no idea what he was doing.

MartinUtd
06-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Can't keep his spot for a 3rd division Spanish league team, and we're after him? :facepalm:

It's interesting being in a position where we don't have the luxury of being the top league in the world. We're spoiled with being the top division in 4 major world sports and always drawing the best talent.

I don't think you can count NFL football as a major world sport despite their US revenue figures.

Oldtimer
06-12-2013, 02:33 PM
I don't think you can count NFL football as a major world sport despite their US revenue figures.

I don't think the CFL is the top division in gridiron, if we're talking as Canadians. :canada:

jloome
06-12-2013, 02:41 PM

More likely they're shedding salaries. That's why players who have decent seasons usually leave relegated teams.

ag futbol
06-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Another way to look at it is if Orel Rosell can be an asset to Sporting KC having only played 6 games for Barca B, doesn't that mean there's at least a possibility this guy is useful?

69Chevy396
06-12-2013, 04:49 PM

3rd division in Spain probably equivelent to England first or second tier, and dont we seem to rave about rejects from there?

Derko
06-12-2013, 07:07 PM
3rd division in Spain probably equivelent to England first or second tier, and dont we seem to rave about rejects from there?

Actually RPB's do!!

CretanBull
06-12-2013, 08:35 PM

Thanks for reminding me why I stay out of the public sections of the forums.

Ultra & Proud
06-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Dunfield waived today. Don't really like that decision. There are others (ahem Lambe ahem) who eat up international roster spots and contribute a lot less in the midfield than Terry did. For what it's worth I'd still take Dunfield over Hall without question. Hopefully something is on the radar.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/06/terry-dunfield-waived-toronto

Jack
06-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Well, Dunfield hasn't played much this season.

Haddy
06-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Dunfield waived today. Don't really like that decision. There are others (ahem Lambe ahem) who eat up international roster spots and contribute a lot less in the midfield than Terry did. For what it's worth I'd still take Dunfield over Hall without question. Hopefully something is on the radar.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/06/terry-dunfield-waived-toronto

That's a 120k savings for someone who hasn't been available or starting. Can't wait to see who replaces him.

jloome
06-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Well, Dunfield hasn't played much this season.

Good riddance. Nice enough publicly but a rotten footballer. Hall has been a revelation, and is still not good enough to start, despite playing better than Terry ever did.

Ajax TFC
06-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Dunfield would have been a sub to close out games at best. 120k for that kind of player is way too much. I would put Hall, Laba, Osorio, and probably even Bekker ahead of him. All are younger, and all but Laba make far less. This gives us more space to bring in good players where we need them, which is out wide.

BuSaPuNk
06-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Torn with this one. Love the passion that Dunfield brought and he had his moments. But overall not good enough to start and just too expensive for a bench player.

Wonder if this is a precursor to a signing?

Abou Sky
06-13-2013, 09:36 AM
That sucks donkey balls!

Note, we don't get his cap hit back, we only get a roster spot and not even an international one.

This makes very little sense to me unless he eats too much or something.

Oldtimer
06-13-2013, 09:42 AM
That sucks donkey balls!

Note, we don't get his cap hit back, we only get a roster spot and not even an international one.

Often having a guy who will never play poisons the locker-room. Sometimes you add by subtraction.

v00d00daddy
06-13-2013, 09:42 AM
That sucks donkey balls!

Maybe it's just a part of the changing of the guard.

The playoffs are gone. If we're gonna be bad we may as well let our young players go through their growing pains. That means Hall, Osorio, Laba and Bekker have to be the choices in the middle of the midfield.

And like many have already mentioned, paying him 120k to sit on the bench as the 5th option makes no sense. Time to move on. Finally.

It's time for us to start appreciating guys for being good footballers AND exhibiting heart and passion. It's not enough to have just the one side of your game.

I hope he finds something else but I won't miss him at TFC.

Abou Sky
06-13-2013, 09:43 AM
I know you are right Oldtimer, but I am so going to miss him.

19Barrett19
06-13-2013, 09:55 AM
he was better then jdg was for us and a fighter on the pitch good luck terry i at least will say thank you 6 goals in way less appearances the de guzman

ag futbol
06-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Maybe it's just a part of the changing of the guard.

The playoffs are gone. If we're gonna be bad we may as well let our young players go through their growing pains. That means Hall, Osorio, Laba and Bekker have to be the choices in the middle of the midfield.

And like many have already mentioned, paying him 120k to sit on the bench as the 5th option makes no sense. Time to move on. Finally.

It's time for us to start appreciating guys for being good footballers AND exhibiting heart and passion. It's not enough to have just the one side of your game.

I hope he finds something else but I won't miss him at TFC.
Agreed, it is time to move on. There just isn't anything for him to contribute on the field at this point. He isn't technical enough to hold the ball and he's too slow to clog up the middle the way a physical DM would be expected to. The game has passed him by at this point. This is a good performance related decision. Now if we could make a few more of these we'd be starting to get somewhere.

KGH
06-13-2013, 10:09 AM

I don't know if you're right on this. From the roster rules:

(A) WAIVERS
Teams may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players with guaranteed contracts will continue to have their salary budget charge applied to the team salary budget, subject to any settlement. Players on semi-guaranteed contracts can be waived prior to July 1 of any year and free up the corresponding budget space. If a player on a semi-guaranteed contract is waived after July 1, his salary budget charge will count against the team’s salary budget and the team waiving the player will not receive a replacement except under the normal player acquisition mechanisms. Any settlement amount will be charged to the team’s salary budget.

Ajax TFC
06-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Whaa?? where do you read that?

WAIVERS
Teams may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players with guaranteed contracts will continue to have their salary budget charge applied to the team salary budget, subject to any settlement. Players on semi-guaranteed contracts can be waived prior to July 1 of any year and free up the corresponding budget space.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/2012-mls-roster-rules

Now I can't find the bit that defines whether a contract is guaranteed or semi, but I'm pretty sure you have to be in the league for three years to get a guaranteed contract. Dunfield is currently in his third year, meaning he should only be on a semi guaranteed contract. So we get his entire cap hit back since we waived him before Canada Day

EDIT: damn, KGH beat me to it

flamehawk
06-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Could this mean Marco Senna is indeed coming?

We really have only Hall, Laba, Russel and maybe Osorio at CDM.

jloome
06-13-2013, 10:23 AM

Doubtful. We'd need another Int'l roster spot. And who needs more than four guys who can play DM in MLS? If anything, I wish we'd stop playing with two anchor men and use a five-man two-way mid.

Ultra & Proud
06-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Guaranteed Contracts are players aged 25+ who have spent 4 seasons in the MLS.

Looks like he was on a semi-guaranteed contract then.

Detroit_TFC
06-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Even more chips on the summer transfer window roulette table now. Wish I knew how this is going to work out. Given our usual misfortune, I have some idea.

Detroit_TFC
06-13-2013, 10:42 AM

Official: Senna signed with Cosmos today.

Haddy
06-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Official: Senna signed with Cosmos today.

http://nycosmos.com/news/villarreal-legend-marcos-senna-signs-new-york-cosmos

http://nycosmos.com/sites/default/files/SennaNewsPhoto.jpg

mowe
06-13-2013, 11:20 AM
I don't think Terry would've been waived if we pulled off that Frei/Califf trade. But in any case he was expendable once we signed Laba. This summer window is really crucial for Payne/Nelson to reassure fans a little bit. There needs to be some quality coming in.

Richard
06-13-2013, 11:34 AM
I think Lamb needed to be waived ahead of Dunny.

ProfessorDamage
06-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Funny to see some of the armchair experts who defended Duncefield as a pillar of this team now say this is the right move for the club, that Terry's over the hill and just not good enough anymore to be the teacher to the younger lads. Way to stay on message!

TFC07
I don't think Terry would've been waived if we pulled off that Frei/Califf trade. But in any case he was expendable once we signed Laba. This summer window is really crucial for Payne/Nelson to reassure fans a little bit. There needs to be some quality coming in.

I disagree.

We have too many DM and rumour to get more midfielders in summer window. So there was no room for Dunfield on this team anymore.

Hopefully we can trade Califf and Frei ASAP to create cap space and get an international slot.

Abou Sky
I don't know if you're right on this. From the roster rules:

(A) WAIVERS
Teams may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players with guaranteed contracts will continue to have their salary budget charge applied to the team salary budget, subject to any settlement. Players on semi-guaranteed contracts can be waived prior to July 1 of any year and free up the corresponding budget space. If a player on a semi-guaranteed contract is waived after July 1, his salary budget charge will count against the team’s salary budget and the team waiving the player will not receive a replacement except under the normal player acquisition mechanisms. Any settlement amount will be charged to the team’s salary budget.

Thanks for clarification.

Yes, that does make a whole lot more sense now.

TFC07
06-13-2013, 11:37 AM
I think Lamb needed to be waived ahead of Dunny.

I hope so, but I would like to see Lamb play RB to see how he does. He seems very capable of defending in this level and he has the skills to go forward and join the attack (last season he shown at times he's capable in this department).

Abou Sky
06-13-2013, 11:38 AM
http://nycosmos.com/news/villarreal-legend-marcos-senna-signs-new-york-cosmos

http://nycosmos.com/sites/default/files/SennaNewsPhoto.jpg

Ouch...

Although, in fairness I know a former Argentina international who ended his career in CSL

Abou Sky
06-13-2013, 11:41 AM
I hope so, but I would like to see Lamb play RB to see how he does. He seems very capable of defending in this level and he has the skills to go forward and join the attack (last season he shown at times he's capable in this department).

I liked Lambe when he first came, but I rate Richter way more than Lambe.

Also, Russell and Ecks because O'Dea looks good at LB (although unless he agrees to a 50 % pay cut I don't see him here next year)

Jack
06-13-2013, 12:28 PM
he was better then jdg was for us and a fighter on the pitch good luck terry i at least will say thank you 6 goals in way less appearances the de guzman
Because a defensive midfielder should be compared to another defensive midfielder based on the number of goals he scored?

Jack
06-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Ouch...

Although, in fairness I know a former Argentina international who ended his career in CSL
I think he's pretty much done at a higher level and just wants to be in NYC.

Ajax TFC
06-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Lambe will be cut if we need an international spot. Right now it seems they needed the cap space, so Dunfield was the logical cut. Plus despite Lambe being shit, he's still one of our only wingers whereas we have quite a few central midfielders.

reggie
06-13-2013, 01:05 PM
according to larsen on twitter...EARNIE is signed for the rest of the year.

mowe
06-13-2013, 01:46 PM
He also speculated that the reason Dunfield got cut was to free up money to sign Earnshaw.

Oldtimer
06-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Funny to see some of the armchair experts who defended Duncefield as a pillar of this team now say this is the right move for the club, that Terry's over the hill and just not good enough anymore to be the teacher to the younger lads. Way to stay on message!

I'm not one of those who defended him, but haven't you ever changed your mind in your life? Should people never reconsider their viewpoint? And unless you are a player or coach, aren't you an "armchair expert" yourself?

Derko
06-13-2013, 02:32 PM
I'm not one of those who defended him, but haven't you ever changed your mind in your life? Should people never reconsider their viewpoint? And unless you are a player or coach, aren't you an "armchair expert" yourself?

I couldn't have said that better myself, :hump:

ProfessorDamage
06-13-2013, 02:47 PM

There are other jobs, including mine, which would qualify someone as more than an "armchair expert" when it comes to football. But that's irrelevant here. I have no issue with people changing their minds. Where I do take umbrage is when guys bash others who disagreed with the high-and-mighty opinion of him (just looking at the appreciation thread here). But anyway.

jloome
06-13-2013, 03:07 PM

Don't be a pussy; if you're going to call someone out, call them out. Don't imply shit. It's just uncivil. Or, if you have to, PM them and do it in person.

Ivy
06-13-2013, 03:33 PM
There are other jobs, including mine, which would qualify someone as more than an "armchair expert" when it comes to football. But that's irrelevant here. I have no issue with people changing their minds. Where I do take umbrage is when guys bash others who disagreed with the high-and-mighty opinion of him (just looking at the appreciation thread here). But anyway.
curious... What do you do?

T-boy
06-13-2013, 03:46 PM
I never either loved or hated Dunfield. He was always full of effort, had some benefit to the team sometimes. He was actually one of our better players last season. But, I don't see him better than Laba, and Hall has cemented his place in the team and is improving all the time. So, maybe its a good time for Dunfield to leave and make some cap space for some priority areas of the team (winger, attacking mid).

OgtheDim
06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
So if non-guaranteed contracts have to be let go by the end of June, who else will (not should) be let go?

TFC07
06-13-2013, 04:32 PM
So if non-guaranteed contracts have to be let go by the end of June, who else will (not should) be let go?

Emory?

CretanBull
06-13-2013, 04:37 PM
So if non-guaranteed contracts have to be let go by the end of June, who else will (not should) be let go? Half the team.

KGH
06-13-2013, 05:45 PM

Lambe

ag futbol
06-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this (could be it's own thread) but there's an interesting site for MLS statistics. Really in-depth stuff compared to what I've seen elsewhere.

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/4186/Show/USA-Toronto-FC

This could have been found elsewhere but one thing i noticed: we don't have a single player with more than one assist. Pretty dire.

Also Bendik's passing: 41.5%!! In comparison, the league average is around 50% and the better keepers are in and around 60%.

notthesun
06-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Been a long time coming for Dunfield. I'm happy with this move. I appreciate his work ethic and determination, but he was a liability from the moment he joined the team until the moment we waived him. Onwards and upwards.

Ajax TFC
06-13-2013, 07:47 PM
I was no Dunfield fan and I like that we've finally cut him loose, but I seriously hope we didn't waive him just so we could give Earnshaw a raise to keep him. That is a player who hasn't done ANYTHING in the last 8-10 games. With Koev's immanent return we should have just let Earnshaw's deal expire and either let Dunfield play out the rest of the contract (that is if he would've been okay with being a sub at most), or use the money to get a striker who could actually make a difference.

I hope I'm wrong though and this is just a crazy coincidence that we extended Earnshaw on the exact same day that we made a salary dump

West220Side
06-13-2013, 10:28 PM
With Terry Dunfield gone (a great loss, or atleast a loss in my opinion) I can't help but wonder what if we had kept John Bostock a centre midfielder who impressed early but flamed out and grew into public enemy number one. At 21, and $99,000 if only we could have retained him some how financially and sent him down to Orlando City to grow confidence and then bring him back. Think we could have won in that situation, won big! Oh well. What happened, happened.

jloome
06-13-2013, 10:42 PM
I was no Dunfield fan and I like that we've finally cut him loose, but I seriously hope we didn't waive him just so we could give Earnshaw a raise to keep him. That is a player who hasn't done ANYTHING in the last 8-10 games. With Koev's immanent return we should have just let Earnshaw's deal expire and either let Dunfield play out the rest of the contract (that is if he would've been okay with being a sub at most), or use the money to get a striker who could actually make a difference.

I hope I'm wrong though and this is just a crazy coincidence that we extended Earnshaw on the exact same day that we made a salary dump

Earnshaw is a quality finisher if he's given quality to work with. He poaches the odd one, too. He just hits the odd dry patch.

ensco
06-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Maybe everything is getting to me in TFC land, but the pointlessness of it all is bothering me. Dunfield was a marginal player on a last place club. When I think of him, I think of him scoring against TFC (in Vancouver's first game) first and foremost. He was from Vancouver and it would be better for MLS if he'd stayed there. There needs to be a no trade for30+ year old signings.

Aleman, who Dunfield was traded for, is the real story. Aleman's story (he wouldn't sign with either TFC ot Vancouver and is now at Real Vallodolid, a decent La Liga club) is compelling and disheartening.

CretanBull
06-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Aleman, who Dunfield was traded for, is the real story. Aleman's story (he wouldn't sign with either TFC ot Vancouver and is now at Real Vallodolid, a decent La Liga club) is compelling and disheartening.Aleman might have signed here, we didn't give him a chance. Someone wanted to make a point and released him.

nonc
06-14-2013, 12:16 AM
Earnshaw is a quality finisher if he's given quality to work with. He poaches the odd one, too. He just hits the odd dry patch.

I keep hearing quality finisher and needs more to work with, regarding Earnshaw. That seems suspect. Has 2 on PKs and 3 on horrendous giveaways which most players won't see in a full season, let alone a 5 game span. Odd and fortunate. Is quite detached from team offense and that's why he hasn't done anything from normal build-up play in more than 1/3 season, aside from butcher chances and provide one good cross. He is destined to be yet another grossly overpaid, aging UK player not cut out for MLS and irrelevant to our rebuild. Although Caldwell might be a guy worth targeting and bringing back for 2014.

Aleman might have signed here, we didn't give him a chance. Someone wanted to make a point and released him.

Exactly, past management of TFC Academy was a joke. My faith is still not fully restored. Even recently, instead of Pasher going to Finland TFC could have signed him for league minimum and he would have been available for all the recent injuries and Morgan's meltdown. The Academy has always had talent flowing through it and we don't have much to show for it, Osorio is a credit to himself and Uruguay, not really TFC aside from giving him a chance. I still don't think we take the Academy as seriously as we should, to date we still defer to USL Pro (Emory, Richter) and even retired players (Russell).

ag futbol
06-14-2013, 08:02 AM
I was hoping someone would mention Aleman. This whole thing has come full-circle. Not just with Dunfield, but with our pursuit of that Spanish winger who you could easily argue has a similar profile to Aleman these days.

Even today I think the way the academy is run is disappointing. TFCA isn’t nearly active enough within the soccer community. They stand to be the primary benefactor of the new semi-pro league that’s being created and the new development focus of the youth levels, but they just stay silent throughout the whole process. They still haven’t forged a USL relationship or found a place for players to go on loans while other teams have. This is real, tangible, non-glossy paper stuff that actually makes a difference. As usual, this club is too busy telling us how amazing they are at running its operations and not busy enough actually putting their feet on the ground to make improvements.

We’re just lucky that the GTA has a large amount of soccer talent and TFCA provides more visibility and free training.

Oldtimer
06-14-2013, 08:09 AM
There are other jobs, including mine, which would qualify someone as more than an "armchair expert" when it comes to football.

So you say you have a job that qualifies you as an expert without saying what it is. :noidea: If you throw terms like "armchair expert" around, expect to have to defend yourself. There are people on here who are former players at rep or semi-pro. There are former and current coaches. Dropping hints like you have doesn't cut it when compared with people who are obviously qualified to be above the "armchair expert" level. You don't know the people on this board, so don't make snide comments about their qualifications.

My suggestion: Be nice to people and don't criticize them. You can state your opinions on football topics without needing to attack others. This playground has rules, and this moderator team will enforce them.

Still Kicking
06-14-2013, 08:25 AM
With Terry Dunfield gone (a great loss, or atleast a loss in my opinion) I can't help but wonder what if we had kept John Bostock a centre midfielder who impressed early but flamed out and grew into public enemy number one. At 21, and $99,000 if only we could have retained him some how financially and sent him down to Orlando City to grow confidence and then bring him back. Think we could have won in that situation, won big! Oh well. What happened, happened.

I agree that developing 21 year olds, international or not, is critical to TFC's future. Remember that Orlando City is south of the border and although it would be great for developing talent, it would not qualify as working time in Canada. That time is important for graduating from the international designation in MLS. I think that 2014 will see the move of Ottawa Fury FC to NASL and I expect that TFC will start loaning players to Ottawa. So the next Bostock or Lambe (or remember Sanyang and Gomez??) could develop in the NASL and eventually reach Toronto without taking up international spots on the roster.
I think those who stayed to watch the reserves play Columbus in May saw that Bostock playing a central role in the midfield role was not the answer for 2013.

MartinUtd
06-14-2013, 08:40 AM

That was a subsidized loan from Tottenham. When his contact finished, that price would have gone up at least three fold. Bostock will find that money in a League One or Championship team and that's beside the point, he never had his head in the game over here. He was like a mini-Stevenovic, trying to produce highlight reel footage on his own to further his career. What do you say to a midfielder that tries to take on three guys in your own half? No thanks.

Voodooman
06-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this (could be it's own thread) but there's an interesting site for MLS statistics. Really in-depth stuff compared to what I've seen elsewhere.

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/4186/Show/USA-Toronto-FC

This could have been found elsewhere but one thing i noticed: we don't have a single player with more than one assist. Pretty dire.

Also Bendik's passing: 41.5%!! In comparison, the league average is around 50% and the better keepers are in and around 60%.

Haha no Particular Strengths. Emory's passing is lousy as well, curious how the rating system works, little surprised to see Osorio down there

CretanBull
06-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Haha no Particular Strengths. Emory's passing is lousy as well, curious how the rating system works, little surprised to see Osorio down there
To get credit for making a pass, someone has to receive it...that's our problem.

Voodooman
06-14-2013, 09:59 AM
To get credit for making a pass, someone has to receive it...that's our problem.

haha had a good chuckle with that, too true

kuku
06-14-2013, 10:48 AM
From MLS transfers:

Source: Toronto FC officials met with Internacional of Brazil a last week. Presumably over Forlan but that's not confirmed

T-boy
06-14-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm not a fan of Forlan coming to the MLS at all. I watched most games when he was at Man Utd and he spent most of his time laying on the ground after the normal physical challenges of the Premiership. I don't think he would be up for the physical nature of the MLS at all. He's a great goalscorer when he's got the space and time, but the MLS would give him neither. A couple of rough challenges and he would be out every game.

TFC07
06-14-2013, 11:23 AM
From MLS transfers:

Source: Toronto FC officials met with Internacional of Brazil a last week. Presumably over Forlan but that's not confirmed

Wow, I will be shocked if TFC manages to sign Forlan. He was huge for Uruguay in the last world cup.

T-boy
06-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Wow, I will be shocked if TFC manages to sign Forlan. He was huge for Uruguay in the last world cup.

He's also 34 now. I'm a no for this one.

TFC07
06-14-2013, 11:27 AM
He's also 34 now. I'm a no for this one.

Yeah, but we desperately need good veteran players on this team. Right now, this team is too young and our older players aren't that good. Forlan presence on this team will be huge!

Greatest Ripoff
06-14-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm not a fan of Forlan coming to the MLS at all. I watched most games when he was at Man Utd and he spent most of his time laying on the ground after the normal physical challenges of the Premiership. I don't think he would be up for the physical nature of the MLS at all. He's a great goalscorer when he's got the space and time, but the MLS would give him neither. A couple of rough challenges and he would be out every game.

He was far from his best when at Manchester but I'd still have no interest in him coming here. I'd be really disappointed.

BuSaPuNk
06-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Yeah 34 isn't too bad. If he was pushing 36-37 I'd say he's too old. But having a veteran come in a stabilize this locker room would be good. He's played at the top levels of the sport he could only teach te young guys alot.

jloome
06-14-2013, 11:51 AM
I keep hearing quality finisher and needs more to work with, regarding Earnshaw. That seems suspect.

35 goals in 98 games for notts forrest from 2008-2011. But he can't finish. Sure.

And he didn't create two of those three turnovers by intercepting passes, either.

I'm not sure what you expect from a guy who never sees a through ball, never gets an open look inside the box that he doesn't create.

I'm not saying he's the second coming, but he's a proven striker.

ag futbol
06-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Dude, that's not a good representative sample of Diego Forlan. He took his game well above and beyond what it was when he was at Manchester United.

That being said I hope we're actually after Andres D'Alessando, but I doubt it, since he's their captain.

Canary10
06-14-2013, 12:02 PM
35 goals in 98 games for notts forrest from 2008-2011. But he can't finish. Sure.

And he didn't create two of those three turnovers by intercepting passes, either.

I'm not sure what you expect from a guy who never sees a through ball, never gets an open look inside the box that he doesn't create.

Absolutely. Earnshaw is so obviously a step above in quality. I don't understand nonc's comments at all.

jloome
06-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Dude, that's not a good representative sample of Diego Forlan. He took his game well above and beyond what it was when he was at Manchester United.

That being said I hope we're actually after Andres D'Alessando, but I doubt it, since he's their captain.

Well, Payne did say the guy they'd be going after would be the best player in the league, and D'Alessandro would be, I'd say (except maybe Thierry Henry, although a little apples and oranges.)

Ultra & Proud
06-14-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't see Forlan as a locker room stabilizer type. First, he's a forward and a soft and diving one at that. Next, he is getting up there and hasn't looked good in a lot of years (since Madrid really). We sign him and we will have our next Mista.

ag futbol
06-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Well, Payne did say the guy they'd be going after would be the best player in the league, and D'Alessandro would be, I'd say (except maybe Thierry Henry, although a little apples and oranges.)
D'alessandro has been on the MLS rumor mill for years too. A lot of people wouldn't get it, but it'd be an incredible signing.

OgtheDim
06-14-2013, 01:50 PM
I can see the facebook trolls already.

"What good is he? He's only scored 4 goals a season!"

T-boy
06-14-2013, 02:07 PM

My comparison is on the similar physicality of the premiership and the MLS. as opposed to Spanish and Italian football where you have a bit more space and time on the ball. Forlan would be treated like he was in the premier and left on his butt over and over with big challenges. He wouldn't get the time he had in Spain and Italy or in international matches.

Jack
06-14-2013, 02:12 PM
My comparison is on the similar physicality of the premiership and the MLS. as opposed to Spanish and Italian football where you have a bit more space and time on the ball. Forlan would be treated like he was in the premier and left on his butt over and over with big challenges. He wouldn't get the time he had in Spain and Italy or in international matches.
Our league is physical, but the pace isn't nearly as frenetic as the Prem. I'm sure Diego would be able to find the odd hole to pop a couple of goals in. Forlan, though, would get crap for service, just like Earnshaw.

D'Alessandro actually makes a ton more sense for our needs as a team. Earnshaw (and Koev, if he gets healthy) would benefit greatly from some SERVICE that was something other than longballs from the centre of defence.

billyfly
06-14-2013, 02:21 PM
We havent tried a Portuguese "reject" yet.

We should get one. The Andrade thing doesn't count.

ag futbol
06-14-2013, 02:35 PM
I disagree with that premise. You really think a MLS player has less time on the ball than someone would in Series A or La Liga? Not a chance. You're being deceived by a world class players ability and composure on the ball creating space and timing options, compared to MLS guys who don't understand what they are doing and are easily closed down.

MLS values physical play. It has players that are physical, but it's players are not world class, that's really the sticking point. So while Italy and Spain may not be known for physical play and the play may not be physically focused, the players are still far more physically capable than MLS guys. I have yet to see any MLS team play any world class team in any setting and come away with the impression that our physicality was really imposing. And usually when this happens the foreign teams are in pre-season form, not even in full shape.

OgtheDim
06-14-2013, 03:01 PM
There is no substitution for technical football ability and technical football thinking. Top leagues in Europe and South America value those most of all.

In MLS, the technical ability and thinking of the domestic players are so low, most of the European and South American trained players can only show glimmers of what they can do.

Abou Sky
06-14-2013, 05:03 PM
I disagree with that premise. You really think a MLS player has less time on the ball than someone would in Series A or La Liga? Not a chance. You're being deceived by a world class players ability and composure on the ball creating space and timing options, compared to MLS guys who don't understand what they are doing and are easily closed down.

MLS values physical play. It has players that are physical, but it's players are not world class, that's really the sticking point. So while Italy and Spain may not be known for physical play and the play may not be physically focused, the players are still far more physically capable than MLS guys. I have yet to see any MLS team play any world class team in any setting and come away with the impression that our physicality was really imposing. And usually when this happens the foreign teams are in pre-season form, not even in full shape.

I would put SKC in any top league and although I don't think they could come away with a winning season, I think that they wouldn't be relegated.

Not super high praise, but you get the point.

v00d00daddy
06-14-2013, 05:24 PM
There is no substitution for technical football ability and technical football thinking. Top leagues in Europe and South America value those most of all.

In MLS, the technical ability and thinking of the domestic players are so low, most of the European and South American trained players can only show glimmers of what they can do.

I think this WAS true but I also think it's changing. MLS teams have been finding a way to incorporate those technical players while still finding success. (KC, RSL, MON and others)

As mentioned above....it's mirage that players have more time in Serie A or La Liga than MLS. Just because a guy can run at you, doesn't mean that you have less time. Some players thrive on stretching out the opposition. Patrice Bernier with Arnaud in Montreal seem to do a great job of it. Amado Guevara used to do it very well for us too.

If we limit ourselves to wanting only guys who come from leagues where they play "high tempo" games like MLS in an attempt to have them "fit in" we'll be left playing the disgusting football we've been playing for most of our existence. And we won't find success. It's a dead game.

I'd like us to be one of those teams that helps change MLS for the better. Not a team looking to compete with MLS teams circa 2005.

Our league is physical, but the pace isn't nearly as frenetic as the Prem. I'm sure Diego would be able to find the odd hole to pop a couple of goals in. Forlan, though, would get crap for service, just like Earnshaw.

D'Alessandro actually makes a ton more sense for our needs as a team. Earnshaw (and Koev, if he gets healthy) would benefit greatly from some SERVICE that was something other than longballs from the centre of defence.

Exactly. I'd take either but Forlan would be wasted without service. Now....Forlan AND a midfield distributor....now we're talking. LOL

BuSaPuNk
06-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Exactly. I'd take either but Forlan would be wasted without service. Now....Forlan AND a midfield distributor....now we're talking. LOL

Would you say he would "tear this leauge apart?" Lol

ag futbol
06-14-2013, 05:50 PM

I can agree with this in part, but I think people are wrong when they look it as a physicality / technical ability continuum. If that was the case, you'd never see the impact of players like Ferreira, Morales, Schelotto, or Valeri (list goes on). Using the logic people are applying for Forlan, none of them would be useful in this league, yet they all are despite having mediocre careers in inferior leagues by comparison (Schelotto excepted). What you really need to succeed in this league is a solid understanding of your teammates limitations and the idea that you're going to have to shoulder a lot of the load yourself. The fact that a player comes from a league that is far less physical than MLS or is considered a pushover I'd say is largely irrelevant.

ag futbol
06-14-2013, 06:13 PM
I would put SKC in any top league and although I don't think they could come away with a winning season, I think that they wouldn't be relegated.

Not super high praise, but you get the point.
The quality of their football is admirable but really if we compare them in economic terms to any of the teams in the big four I have a hard time believing they'd be anything but dead last. Wage bills for most of those clubs would blow them out of the water, and that's just the wage bills, it doesn't even include transfer fees that MLS teams sometimes roll into reported salaries that foreign teams do not. Blackpool in 2010-2011 could be the parallel comparison for this, they had by far the lowest wage bill in the premiership. Try as they might, they were stuck at the bottom for miles. The kicker: that wage bill was 13.6M pounds (26M dollars) which is a superior level of resources to even KC right now. The numbers wouldn't be quite as drastic for the other leagues but the story would be much of the same IMO. MLS teams have basically no squad depth and the salary structure is wonky because of the cap / DP rule.

nonc
06-14-2013, 06:33 PM

Oh you can read wikipedia congratulations. Look a little further and you'd see he hasn't been any good for over 3 years lol. He's offside on any through balls anyway. He's had horrific misses the Rapids game sums up 95% of his season.

jloome
06-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Oh you can read wikipedia congratulations. Look a little further and you'd see he hasn't been any good for over 3 years lol. He's offside on any through balls anyway. He's had horrific misses the Rapids game sums up 95% of his season.

With math skills like that, I defer to your obvious genius.

Abou Sky
06-14-2013, 11:53 PM
The quality of their football is admirable but really if we compare them in economic terms to any of the teams in the big four I have a hard time believing they'd be anything but dead last. Wage bills for most of those clubs would blow them out of the water, and that's just the wage bills, it doesn't even include transfer fees that MLS teams sometimes roll into reported salaries that foreign teams do not. Blackpool in 2010-2011 could be the parallel comparison for this, they had by far the lowest wage bill in the premiership. Try as they might, they were stuck at the bottom for miles. The kicker: that wage bill was 13.6M pounds (26M dollars) which is a superior level of resources to even KC right now. The numbers wouldn't be quite as drastic for the other leagues but the story would be much of the same IMO. MLS teams have basically no squad depth and the salary structure is wonky because of the cap / DP rule.

It seems to me that SKC has unreal value, for example Zusi makes $140/year.

He is a $1m player IMO, Collin, Nielsen, Kamara, Bieler and a few others, I think overall they are undervalued.

We couldn't really know, but I don't think $ is the only thing to use as a basis for comparison.

ag futbol
06-15-2013, 12:07 PM
It seems to me that SKC has unreal value, for example Zusi makes $140/year.

He is a $1m player IMO, Collin, Nielsen, Kamara, Bieler and a few others, I think overall they are undervalued.

We couldn't really know, but I don't think $ is the only thing to use as a basis for comparison.
I agree they're punching above their weight in terms of value for money spent... I be more willing to consider the point about the $ comparison if the figures were in the same ballpark, but the gap is incredibly large. To put it in MLS terms, any bottom of the table side would have the equivalent of 11 MLS max money / designed players on the field at any time and the subs bench would be filled with them too.

The bargain guys you listed could probably do a job, I'd even ignore that Kamara didn't have an impact during his most recent loan spell. But the issue that really starts to get perplexing is when you start to look at the less talented portion of any MLS teams starting lineup. Guys like Besler, Sinovic, Feilhaber, Nagamura, etc... they would be badly outclassed by their opposite numbers. They are good in a salary constrained environment like MLS but not up to it at the next level.

In many ways I would say the spine of a team like KC is probably good to compete but the wide play is lacking. Comparatively the wide play in MLS is really far behind the rest of the world. MLS teams just can't afford quality wide players because you don't get enough bang for your buck there when you have limited resources under the cap. To make matters worse we struggle to produce technical / creative players in North America which is really what is needed to fill those spots.

19Barrett19
06-15-2013, 12:15 PM
I agree they're punching above their weight in terms of value for money spent... I be more willing to consider the point about the $ comparison if the figures were in the same ballpark, but the gap is incredibly large. To put it in MLS terms, any bottom of the table side would have the equivalent of 11 MLS max money / designed players on the field at any time and the subs bench would be filled with them too.

The bargain guys you listed could probably do a job, I'd even ignore that Kamara didn't have an impact during his most recent loan spell. But the issue that really starts to get perplexing is when you start to look at the less talented portion of any MLS teams starting lineup. Guys like Besler, Sinovic, Feilhaber, Nagamura, etc... they would be badly outclassed by their opposite numbers. They are good in a salary constrained environment like MLS but not up to it at the next level.

In many ways I would say the spine of a team like KC is probably good to compete but the wide play is lacking. Comparatively the wide play in MLS is really far behind the rest of the world. MLS teams just can't afford quality wide players because you don't get enough bang for your buck there when you have limited resources under the cap. To make matters worse we struggle to produce technical / creative players in North America which is really what is needed to fill those spots.

Great point!!

burlington Red
06-15-2013, 01:20 PM

JLOOME makes a good point re Earnshaw, he needs service. His game is based on it, he isn't a target man, he isn't a creative striker, he scores goals, he play off the last man, your classic poacher. So when say he hasn't been any good for 3 yrs, that's not true. His last main club was Cardiff, who changed their formation, and went 4-5-1. That formation doesn't suit him- as simple as that. The same way our system doesn't suit him just now. Like any striker he will go through droughts, so highlighting misses in Rapids games doesn't prove anything. RVP went something like 10 games this yr for Utd without scoring- the very best all go throught it. Give Earnshaw the service then we can judge him fairly. As Jloome says, no-one is claiming he is the 2nd coming, but utilised properly, he can be an asset to us.

jloome
06-15-2013, 02:58 PM
JLOOME makes a good point re Earnshaw, he needs service. His game is based on it, he isn't a target man, he isn't a creative striker, he scores goals, he play off the last man, your classic poacher. So when say he hasn't been any good for 3 yrs, that's not true. His last main club was Cardiff, who changed their formation, and went 4-5-1. That formation doesn't suit him- as simple as that. The same way our system doesn't suit him just now. Like any striker he will go through droughts, so highlighting misses in Rapids games doesn't prove anything. RVP went something like 10 games this yr for Utd without scoring- the very best all go throught it. Give Earnshaw the service then we can judge him fairly. As Jloome says, no-one is claiming he is the 2nd coming, but utilised properly, he can be an asset to us.

Exactly.

Chris Wondolowski tied last year for the most goals ALL TIME in this league in a single season -- and on our team, I guarantee you, he would at most have 10 goals a season. He's a poacher. He finds space in the box and knocks in passes and/or rebounds. Earnshaw has seen neither all year. If we asked Wondo to create goals here out of nothing, he wouldn't have many.

nonc
06-15-2013, 06:32 PM

The Rapids game was just an example of one of many bad games, his most heinous. But today might end up being worse. Classic Earnshaw half thus far, horrible misses (he is getting service), offside, wasteful, and his turnover lead to PK. I'm sorry but he's murdering TFC.

EDIT: lol goal, it's a wash now. hopefully that gets his confidence up as we all know that's a major battle of finishing.

Ivy
06-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Corner takers. Please.

burlington Red
06-16-2013, 12:25 AM
The Rapids game was just an example of one of many bad games, his most heinous. But today might end up being worse. Classic Earnshaw half thus far, horrible misses (he is getting service), offside, wasteful, and his turnover lead to PK. I'm sorry but he's murdering TFC.

EDIT: lol goal, it's a wash now. hopefully that gets his confidence up as we all know that's a major battle of finishing.

cheers bud, probably a good time to keep quiet lol

nonc
06-16-2013, 08:49 AM
cheers bud, probably a good time to keep quiet lol

meh the only way i'll get over him being a sucky liability on the field is a lot of golazos, pretty simple. keep it up rob.

Soccerpro
06-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Still no valid wingers who run at the opposition with pace and get good crosses in....

OgtheDim
06-17-2013, 06:24 AM
Still no valid wingers who run at the opposition with pace and get good crosses in....

I'm coming to the conclusion that wingers are not grown here and decent ones make far more money in Europe. Apart from Zusi, is there a decent winger in this league?

ag futbol
06-17-2013, 07:06 AM
^ +1.

Now that being said, TFC has major issues producing anything attack wise. We need more players like Osorio who are going to chip in the odd goal. A real #10 out there would be a huge improvement, but otherwise some guys really need to step up if they want to keep their positions.

Haddy
06-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Apart from Zusi, is there a decent winger in this league?

Hopefully there will be soon. Knock on wood they're playing with TFC lol.

spark
06-17-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm coming to the conclusion that wingers are not grown here and decent ones make far more money in Europe. Apart from Zusi, is there a decent winger in this league?

Not 100% on how he's doing this year but isn't Marvin Chavez a winger? I could see Teibert being one if he continues playing well this season.

ManUtd4ever
06-17-2013, 09:20 AM
This team could really use a winger like Nick Soolsma right about now... Sigh

Yohan
06-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Alvaro Fernandez (currently on loan at Qatar from Chicago, though looks not coming back to MLS)
Joel Lindpere (more of wide midfielder, and his production is down this year)
Eddie Gaven (too bad his season ending injury)
Fabian Castillo (kinda wide forward, but tremendous upside)
Jackson (multi position, plus can finish)
Nick deLeon (learning how to put his game together, but also has lots of upside)
Oscar Boniek Garcia (very technical winger who can dribble and cross)
Brad Davis (excellent set piece and crosser. not pacey, but uses deceptive first step to whip in a cross)
Landon Donovan (because he's been used often at RM/RW for LA)
Mike Magee (scores tons of goals, and a lot of clutch ones from LW)
Diego Fagundez (future USMNT star. can dribble and finish)
Mauro Rosales (lost a lot of pace, but still one of best playmaker from the wing)
Marvin Chavez (deceptive speed plus good crossing)

Canary10
06-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Oduro plays the wings at times too.

Yohan
06-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Oduro plays the wings at times too.
I tried to stick with guys who's primary position is winger, or who has been playing winger mostly so far this year.

Oduro... eh. I wouldn't use him as a winger. Can't cross. Makes a lot of bonehead plays on the wing, but boy does he have speed and his finishing has improved. (and playing like he has a point to prove)

Yohan
06-17-2013, 10:43 AM
As for why Graham Zusi is only at 140k, he had a good year in 2011 IIRC, but one year left on contract in 2012 and he was making like league minimum. So SKC extended his contract and gave him a raise to 140k. Zusi ended up having an amazing year in 2012, mainsta in USMNT and his salary looks like THE bargain in MLS right now.

Canary10
06-17-2013, 10:49 AM
I tried to stick with guys who's primary position is winger, or who has been playing winger mostly so far this year.

Oduro... eh. I wouldn't use him as a winger. Can't cross. Makes a lot of bonehead plays on the wing, but boy does he have speed and his finishing has improved. (and playing like he has a point to prove)

He's having an excellent year. Yeah, I think most of his goals have come when he's played up front but he has been on the wing the odd game too.

jrober38
06-17-2013, 10:57 AM
TFC should be looking to add another young player from South America. There's a ton of young talent in the Brazilian league that could help the attack in a big way. I've got a few names in mind but none of them will ever materialize which is too bad. I was pumping Claudio Bieler's tires a few years ago and will never understand why we don't try to add more of a South American flavour to our team because it would really improve our ability to create chances and keep possession.

kuku
06-17-2013, 12:29 PM
From SB Nation:

The reported deal between Xerez CD and Toronto FC for Spanish winger Alvaro Rey has taken a new turn as the Spanish club's coach confirms the player has requested permission to travel to Toronto for a trial.

Red I
06-17-2013, 12:54 PM
From SB Nation:

The reported deal between Xerez CD and Toronto FC for Spanish winger Alvaro Rey has taken a new turn as the Spanish club's coach confirms the player has requested permission to travel to Toronto for a trial.

This is good, sticking to Payne's plan of seeing how player work before working out something permanent... but then it means we won't see they guy play any meaningful minutes before the transfer window... which would suck! Seems like a pretty pacy winger, which is exactly what this team needs.

The article seems to mention Rey was player of the year for Xerez as well, but that he has had some shortened seasons due to injury.

OgtheDim
06-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks for that list Yohan. Interesting reading that.

Davis I knew about but he left my head there for a few minutes.

I'm not sure I'd call Magee or Donovan wingers.

Lets see if Fagundez can get through a whole season.

So it is possible to have wingers....

nonc
06-18-2013, 07:40 AM
This team could really use a winger like Nick Soolsma right about now... Sigh

I liked Soolsma he was kind of a one-trick pony but his pressure on opposition defense was relentless he was quite effective. Now we have another player not good enough for TFC in LigaMX, strange how soccer plays out sometimes.

Yohan
06-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Thanks for that list Yohan. Interesting reading that.

Davis I knew about but he left my head there for a few minutes.

I'm not sure I'd call Magee or Donovan wingers.

Lets see if Fagundez can get through a whole season.

So it is possible to have wingers....
Magee is not a 'traditional' winger, but he plays LM/LW and happens to score heaps of goals. Also right footed IIRC, so he cuts in a lot.

LD however, plays more of a winger role for LA, but because he does a lot of things for LA, he's not very 'traditional' winger also.

Fagundez is averaging I think either a goal or an assist last 6 games. I highly doubt he'll be producing at that rate all year, but I think even if he does something like a goal or assist every 2 games, he'd be amazing. And he's only 18!

Yohan
06-18-2013, 08:16 AM
I liked Soolsma he was kind of a one-trick pony but his pressure on opposition defense was relentless he was quite effective. Now we have another player not good enough for TFC in LigaMX, strange how soccer plays out sometimes.

if you mean his one trick is take on a defender 1v1 and can either go wide or cut inside with either foot and deliver a cross, then yeah. he's a pretty effective one trick pony

Shway
06-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Diego Fagundez (future USMNT star. can dribble and finish)

*small note* Fagundez is Uruguayan, and has featured for there U20 team

tfcleeds
06-18-2013, 09:37 AM
I always rated Avila. Another player that Mariner basically threw under the bus.

Yohan
06-18-2013, 09:40 AM
*small note* Fagundez is Uruguayan, and has featured for there U20 team

I have a feeling he's going to get capped by USMNT before Uruguay, unless he moves to Europe soon ish

nonc
06-18-2013, 09:51 AM
if you mean his one trick is take on a defender 1v1 and can either go wide or cut inside with either foot and deliver a cross, then yeah. he's a pretty effective one trick pony

Yeah he could deliver a cross but i recall him being as left-footed as Silva is right-footed. Which is to say very dependent. There wasn't much variation on his 1v1 but he usually got the job done.

Yohan
06-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Yeah he could deliver a cross but i recall him being as left-footed as Silva is right-footed. Which is to say very dependent. There wasn't much variation on his 1v1 but he usually got the job done.
Soolsma is right footed. his left foot was average, but he wasn't afraid to use it

CommradePolski
06-18-2013, 10:17 AM
I always rated Avila. Another player that Mariner basically threw under the bus.

I always liked what I saw from Avila everytime he played. He had good control and was able to try and create up front. Mariner absolutely threw the kid under the bus. Fuck that clown.

Yohan
06-18-2013, 10:21 AM
And looks like Avila learned at least a little bit of defending at Chivas USA, something he was horrid at TFC and was only good as an AM here.

nonc
06-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Avila at RSL last year was one of the great games from anyone to ever wear the TFC jersey.

Abou Sky
06-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Magee is not a 'traditional' winger, but he plays LM/LW and happens to score heaps of goals. Also right footed IIRC, so he cuts in a lot.

LD however, plays more of a winger role for LA, but because he does a lot of things for LA, he's not very 'traditional' winger also.

Fagundez is averaging I think either a goal or an assist last 6 games. I highly doubt he'll be producing at that rate all year, but I think even if he does something like a goal or assist every 2 games, he'd be amazing. And he's only 18!

I would take Fagundez as a second 'young dp' if we could get him on a short enough contract (possibility of one hit/season wonder) but it would mean 2 DP's costing only 400k of cap instead of 700k, 300k gets you a LOT in MLS (or it should at least)

Haddy
06-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Following up on earlier suggestions that Jermaine Pennant might be an option...

Stoke re-signed him today for one year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22958716

ag futbol
06-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Transfer window for MLS opens on June 27th. Fingers crossed we make use of it.

moralis
06-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Actually, the MLS transfer window opens July 9-August 8:

(B) TRANSFERS AND LOANS
An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a team outside the League (subject to that team’s Federation’s transfer window), subject to the consent of the player.

The registration windows – the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of a player under contract in another country – are as follows:

February 12 – May 6 (Primary Window)
July 9 – August 8 (Secondary Window)

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

ag futbol
06-18-2013, 01:34 PM
^ Whoops, you're right. I was looking at the wrong set of dates. The ones I had actually applied to players leaving the league:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2012-mls-roster-rules

mcolvy
06-18-2013, 02:12 PM
The word out there is that TFC FO bodies have been in Spain and in SA (Argentina and Uruguay). Thats fine. Atleast they are around.
What happened to our Honduran connections? Is Amado Guevara still enlisted to find us some players?
Screw that midfielder/rightback but lets still look at their class....
Rojas and Lopez. Both are young and can make plays (they are also best buddies).
Bring both of them in, Lopez probably as DP and you could have a pretty decent team.. quickly..

TFC07
06-18-2013, 02:22 PM
The word out there is that TFC FO bodies have been in Spain and in SA (Argentina and Uruguay). Thats fine. Atleast they are around.
What happened to our Honduran connections? Is Amado Guevara still enlisted to find us some players?
Screw that midfielder/rightback but lets still look at their class....
Rojas and Lopez. Both are young and can make plays (they are also best buddies).
Bring both of them in, Lopez probably as DP and you could have a pretty decent team.. quickly..

There's more quantity of very skilled players in SA and Spain than Honduras and other central american nations. If we are going to use our DP's then it better be for very good players who have played in very good leagues. We already got a young DP and bunch of good Under 23 players, but now we need more quality veteran players to lead this team.

Haddy
06-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Califf is back home for personal reasons according to Molinaro (via Payne). Speculate at will.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfcs-califf-at-home-for-personal-reasons/

kuku
06-18-2013, 03:33 PM
MLS Tranfers:
Olof Mellberg is out of contract at Villarreal. While I'm sure a return to La Liga is mouth-watering, I'd love to see him in #MLS (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash). - Wonder if TFC will try one more time?

Ultra & Proud
06-18-2013, 03:48 PM
MLS Tranfers:
Olof Mellberg is out of contract at Villarreal. While I'm sure a return to La Liga is mouth-watering, I'd love to see him in #MLS (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash). - Wonder if TFC will try one more time?
I'd take a pass on any more central defenders especially when they come at DP prices. Uncle Don f*cking us on that one ended up saving us in the long run.

OgtheDim
06-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Isn't personal reasons around here the precursor to a retirement?

Abou Sky
06-18-2013, 04:31 PM
So, am I totally stupid in wondering why they don't have a bigger scouting team? They want to bring anyone in on trial first anyway so what is the harm in putting 20 guys out there looking for talent?

Ajax TFC
06-18-2013, 04:54 PM
And looks like Avila learned at least a little bit of defending at Chivas USA, something he was horrid at TFC and was only good as an AM here.
Avila could press effectively and control the ball when he won it, which I rate as being more useful than being able to run back to your own box and throw in a sloppy tackle or body check.

Derko
06-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Isn't personal reasons around here the precursor to a retirement?

I was thinking the same. :hump:

pdogg
06-19-2013, 08:06 AM
If Caldwell is off of his loan in July and we have Henry and Morgan off at the Gold Cup, we'll be down Califf, Agboss, O'Dea and Emory for the CB/LB positions. I doubt we'd be moving Califf before that point as it leaves us very thin and he will most likely get playing time during that time. We actually have more coverage on RB with Russell, Ecks and Richter (I guess Ecks could​ play CB too).

KGH
06-19-2013, 09:25 AM
If Caldwell is off of his loan in July and we have Henry and Morgan off at the Gold Cup, we'll be down Califf, Agboss, O'Dea and Emory for the CB/LB positions. I doubt we'd be moving Califf before that point as it leaves us very thin and he will most likely get playing time during that time. We actually have more coverage on RB with Russell, Ecks and Richter (I guess Ecks could​ play CB too).

No need to panic. Caldwell in on loan until the end of June but then his contract is up. We can simply sign him assuming he likes the playing time and his family is cool with moving here.

Canary10
06-19-2013, 09:35 AM
^ Wonder if we need to move the likes of Califf and Frei to have the cap space to sign him (as we apparently did Dunfield to sign Earnshaw).

KGH
06-19-2013, 10:17 AM
^ Wonder if we need to move the likes of Califf and Frei to have the cap space to sign him (as we apparently did Dunfield to sign Earnshaw).

That makes a shit ton of sense

ag futbol
06-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Seems kind of funny how we are cap-strung... the roster doesn't feel very deep. Undoubtedly we are still paying part of the cap hit for players who aren't on our books.

MartinUtd
06-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Seems kind of funny how we are cap-strung... the roster doesn't feel very deep. Undoubtedly we are still paying part of the cap hit for players who aren't on our books.

I think part of that is that we're making the space available for the purported big DP level signing in the summer. That and probably a few more short term deals.

Canary10
06-19-2013, 10:34 AM

It's hard to speculate on that stuff given the secrecy behind contracts, allocation etc.

ag futbol
06-19-2013, 11:41 AM
It's hard to speculate on that stuff given the secrecy behind contracts, allocation etc.
For sure.

It just kind of feels weird when you look around the league at teams that have strong rosters and can still afford to add more talent. TFC never seems to have any flexibility by comparison.

Canary10
06-19-2013, 11:49 AM
For sure.

It just kind of feels weird when you look around the league at teams that have strong rosters and can still afford to add more talent. TFC never seems to have any flexibility by comparison.

Having guys like O'Dea and Eckersley on the contracts they are really don't help. That's, what, $600,000 on two players? Hard to justify that. Most MLS teams hide their lower quality players in the left and right back positions. We pay ours close to DP wages.

Ultra & Proud
06-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Califf sure but if Caldwell's potential salary is anywhere near the equivalent of Califf's and Frei's combined then we are just totally fucked. Near 1/3 of our cap on 3 defenders :willy_nilly:

Derko
06-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Having guys like O'Dea and Eckersley on the contracts they are really don't help. That's, what, $600,000 on two players? Hard to justify that. Most MLS teams hide their lower quality players in the left and right back positions. We pay ours close to DP wages.

Did you mean lower paid? I think you did, why would you have lower quality at left and right backs, do you not pay a premium for quality, next year renegotiate Ecks to a lower salary, if it's a no go we still have quality at the back, TFC needs a Caldwell at the back.

ag futbol
06-19-2013, 01:17 PM
^ I think he's right either way you want to look at it. LB and RB positions in MLS are generally places where teams skimp. the salaries are less and the quality is proportional to the amount spent.

Derko
06-19-2013, 03:31 PM
^ I think he's right either way you want to look at it. LB and RB positions in MLS are generally places where teams skimp. the salaries are less and the quality is proportional to the amount spent.

Yea after thinking about it you are correct, again if we can renegotiate Ecks, and maybe O'Dea

jazzy
06-19-2013, 05:14 PM

I think Russell hasn't shown enough.....

19Barrett19
06-19-2013, 05:18 PM
I think Russell hasn't shown enough.....
russell hasn't played enough

TFC07
06-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Russell needs to be cut. I am not sure what role he has left on this team. We got our DM's and Richter is starting over him as a RB (which is saying a lot).

Island Man
06-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Russell needs to be cut. I am not sure what role he has left on this team. We got our DM's and Richter is starting over him as a RB (which is saying a lot).

I agree, he offers very little in DM or RB. Honestly don't know why we signed him or why he is still here.

gdg_9
06-19-2013, 06:07 PM
So Walter Erviti (33 y/o Argentine MF at Boca Jr.) has been linked with a move to MLS.
Also rumored to be coming to MLS is, Mauro Diaz (22 y/o Argentine MF with River Plate).

What are the chances either of these guys are coming to TFC, given the recent scouting trip in South America?

DigzTFC!
06-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Emmanuel Quispe ‏@emaquix (https://twitter.com/emaquix) 1h (https://twitter.com/emaquix/status/347465895813185538) Mauro Diaz (#River (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23River&src=hash) Plate), Walter Erviti (#Boca (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Boca&src=hash) Jrs) y un tercer argentino que está en Colombia jugarían en la #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash) a partir de julio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Erviti
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauro_D%C3%ADaz

It's logical that these could be the players Payne was scouting while in South America. Both attacking minded midfielders.

19Barrett19
06-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Saw some action of these two and from what I recall they both have skill good on the ball

T-boy
06-19-2013, 07:18 PM
I agree, he offers very little in DM or RB. Honestly don't know why we signed him or why he is still here.

Russel can play in multiple positions, and is on a pretty low wage. Imagine if Richter got injured right now, or Hall, we would be pretty stuffed without Russel as backup.

jloome
06-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Saw some action of these two and from what I recall they both have skill good on the ball

Erviti's been capped at 29 (crazy Maradona camp?) and played in Mexico for some time, so if he has gas in the tank, that's promising.

OTher kid has good second division numbers, so why not? We need an attacking midfielder. Plus, two more Spanish speaking mids to join Osorio, Silva and Laba.

Ultra & Proud
06-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Russel can play in multiple positions, and is on a pretty low wage. Imagine if Richter got injured right now, or Hall, we would be pretty stuffed without Russel as backup.

If any of these mentioned or any other midfielders are signed then Hall is the first to sit. He'd be the back up for Laba and Morgan is still around for FB cover at lower wages than Russell and I would say Morgan is better anyway. The way I see it Russell is a 100K extra spare part.

ag futbol
06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Russell was getting rounded by USL players when we played Pittsburg. We could not possibly do any worse by rolling the dice on another player.

Argentine names mentioned look somewhat interesting... I'd like it if we had someone in a Laba type mold though... Probably a little more reputable profile than the younger player listed.

Ivy
06-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Russell is trash. Id take Dunfield over him any day of the week.

Still Kicking
06-20-2013, 07:40 AM
I know, I know - thread hijack- I would defend Russell. Scored a wonder goal months ago (puts him ahead of Silva, Lambe, Ephraim and Bostock in the goals scored column). I thought the yellow in DC was harsh and the elbow was not intentional...he's a midfielder who has struggled playing right back. A solid depth player.

OgtheDim
06-20-2013, 08:17 AM
I thought he was on $100K. We pay $100K for depth?

Canary10
06-20-2013, 08:34 AM

Yeah, I was thinking the two were related. Fullbacks play a much more limited roll in MLS compared to other leagues. They're lower priced and lower quality.

T-boy
06-20-2013, 08:58 AM
I thought he was on $100K. We pay $100K for depth?

And we pay $150k plus for a backup keeper!

I know which player I would lose first, and it wouldn't be the one who can play multiple positions!

Pint
06-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Isn't weedman making over 100K? Russel is a domestic player as well I believe.

Red I
06-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Isn't weedman making over 100K? Russel is a domestic player as well I believe.

No, he was recently resigned this season at a lower wage i believe

EDIT: via players union

TOR

Wiedeman

Andrew

F

55,000.00$

65,000.00$

... and to your point, yes, Russel is considered domestic, and does not take up an international spot

T-boy
06-20-2013, 09:17 AM
I honestly don't know why Russel is now the hate of the week - Frei, Califf, Weidmann between them make over $300,000 and never play - they should all be on the chopping block before Russel.

And Richter should NEVER get hate, earning $35k. Isn't that almost minumum wage?!?! How does he live in this city on that money?!

Derko
06-20-2013, 10:31 AM
I honestly don't know why Russel is now the hate of the week - Frei, Califf, Weidmann between them make over $300,000 and never play - they should all be on the chopping block before Russel.

And Richter should NEVER get hate, earning $35k. Isn't that almost minumum wage?!?! How does he live in this city on that money?!

And when Ecks returns Richter will be a bench sub.

ManUtd4ever
06-20-2013, 10:53 AM

Simple; He either lives with family or roommates. ;)

Pint
06-20-2013, 12:36 PM
@KurtLarSUN: Nelsen said club's big target has signed elsewhere. #TFC

mowe
06-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 6m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/347767527088222208)
Nelsen said club's big target has signed elsewhere. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Any guesses who that could have been? I hope there's a backup plan because we need a lot of help.

ProfessorDamage
06-20-2013, 12:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Ivy
06-20-2013, 12:48 PM
I know, I know - thread hijack- I would defend Russell. Scored a wonder goal months ago (puts him ahead of Silva, Lambe, Ephraim and Bostock in the goals scored column). I thought the yellow in DC was harsh and the elbow was not intentional...he's a midfielder who has struggled playing right back. A solid depth player.
Aceval scored a wonder goal against santos... Didn't make him any less trash.

Richard
06-20-2013, 12:50 PM
I wonder if that's the "Best player in MLS" target.

Canary10
06-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 6m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/347767527088222208)
Nelsen said club's big target has signed elsewhere. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Any guesses who that could have been? I hope there's a backup plan because we need a lot of help.

Higuain is the biggest name signing of the past few days/there is a need to re-inject interest in the Trillium Cup/Higuain's bro plays for Columbus.

I think it's clear.

Ivy
It was Neymar.

MartinUtd
Hmm... who could it have been? Possibly someone of the goal.com transfer list?

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/archive/1

What position are we even going for? I'm assuming attacking mid.