Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO is definitely one of the ugliest stadiums in the league. It's owned by the city, though, so what can you do.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    BMO is definitely one of the ugliest stadiums in the league. It's owned by the city, though, so what can you do.

it's ugly, but it our kind of ugly.

sure it looks like it was designed by a bored civil engineering student,
    but it has great sight lines, the seats are very close to the pitch,
    and there's room for improvement worked into the plan from the very start.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    as long as its not uglier than Crew Stadium, then we're OK.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    as long as its not uglier than Crew Stadium, then we're OK.
    those "cheerleaders" don't help their cause.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM_CANADIAN;808307I have fun at BMO singing, jumping up and down, waving flags and supporting my team, because I come to see a football match. [B
    The last thing I want BMO to become is another ACC, where the actual game is just something that goes on in the background while people do other stuff.[/B]

Maybe I'm more European in nature than I thought I was, because I wasn't expecting it to be about a 50/50 split for and against the beer garden.... lol

I'll take that as a compliment to myself.
    I agree 100% and I am nowhere near European.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That energy drink stadium brings a tear to my eye. I hope I'm alive to see a stadium like that in Toronto for our Reds.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Addressing the current state of the South End, I'll say that I don't really care if people don't sing constantly. I think the energy is still great. People are really into the game and you can hear the passion on close shots, or calls that didn't go our way, or even when people see someone streaking down the wing looking for a long pass, the anticipation is palpable.

I mean no disrespect when I say that some of the songs are a bit played out. I sing sometimes but, as I've said before, it sometimes becomes nonstop ole' ole's and allez allez's. The few big chants we have are great and are well done. More will develop over time, but as for right now my opinion is that the South End and 111 corner are still a great place.

For those that don't like the beer garden, I'll agree to disagree, but thank you for letting me know it's open after the 65 minute mark

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After listening to the recording of Don Garber at the Supporters Summit...
    Do you think it is possible that the North Stand will become an expanded away supporters section?? Garver mentioned that since travelling support was a recent phenomena for MLS (Read since the inception of TFC ) the league and its teams would have to look into enabling more of this activity in the more sold out stadiums.

They could allot a large portion of the North end to other MLS teams with tickets rated at more premium prices. The tickets would have to be committed to a few weeks before every match and those not claimed by visiting teams would then go on sale to the general public.

Possibility? or Not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    Do you think it is possible that the North Stand will become an expanded away supporters section?? Garver mentioned that since travelling support was a recent phenomena for MLS (Read since the inception of TFC ) the league and its teams would have to look into enabling more of this activity in the more sold out stadiums.

They could allot a large portion of the North end to other MLS teams with tickets rated at more premium prices. The tickets would have to be committed to a few weeks before every match and those not claimed by visiting teams would then go on sale to the general public.

Possibility? or Not?
    Makes sense to me...walk up crowds and travelling supporters will fill out the North Stand. It would be appropriate given that the South End is the heart and soul of the Supporter Groups...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibility? or Not?
    it could happen if the stadium expands further. but listening to It's Called Football today, Paul Beirne shot down any such idea for the north stand at this point. He felt like he wants to get more TFC fans in the stadium first ahead of travelling fans. so few tickets go to single game sales now that someone can't get in without being in a group or be a STH.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    He felt like he wants to get more torontonians in the stadium first ahead of travelling fans.
    true, and I see it the same way, but there should be some accommodation made for traveling fans.

Ideally I'd like to see BMO set aside 300 seats for visiting supporters,
    but get an accurate number from them a month in advance. If they
    are only bringing 80 people, the other 220 seats go back to the
    general ticket pool. If they bring 300 people, there are no seats to go back.

Traveling support is going to become a big issue over the next few years
    (Philly, Montreal) and there needs to be a plan to address it. Telling away
    supporters "sorry, there's no room for you" will only lead to troubles
    when we travel, and troubles for the league.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Yeah - but the league needs to implements a mandatory minimum number of seats or else who is to say what's fair...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be great if MLSE could incorporate the accessible seating immediately behind the goal in the South End into the design for the new North End, and replace the south section with regular seating.

It would help unite the South End, esp. if the SGs are involved. It'd also be relatively cheep.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibility? or Not?
    Not according to Paul B on It's Called Football last night. His inclination is to give the seats to TFC fans first. And I agree with him 100%. If other teams cannot sell out their seats and need us to fill them up, tough tits. Don't expect the same in return from a stadium whcihs ells out every game and has a 17,000 waiting list.

Kudos Paul, I like that you're sticking up for the TFC fans on this.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    why keep the patio? why not? its a great part of the building, and is a nice point of difference for our little stadium. some like it. some do not. I do.
    Yes, but you're not there to further your own interests Paul, you belong to us, and you must do what we tell you. Otherwise, alligator pit beckons for you sonny...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Now imagine if the new stands were bought by scalpers... we'd be all upset.

We've been after Paul & Co. for ages to do something about the scalpers. Providing seats to the walk-up crowd will aid in reducing the scalper problem.
    I hope so, but I'm not sure how. What's to stop the scalpers from just sending someone up to buy a whack of tickets when the desk opens in order to maintain a monopoly on available seats? Or even a team of people. Then they can resell them to people coming to the ground for game time.

I agree that it makes it harder for the scalpers and increases their risk, but it won't necessarily stop them outright.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    Not according to Paul B on It's Called Football last night. His inclination is to give the seats to TFC fans first. And I agree with him 100%. If other teams cannot sell out their seats and need us to fill them up, tough tits. Don't expect the same in return from a stadium whcihs ells out every game and has a 17,000 waiting list.

you saw my post about the possible repercussions of not letting supporters to come visit? it will only hurt us on the road when people decide to only allow Toronto 70 seats (or whatever number we allow them) just to prove a point.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, if MLS wants to actually wants to embrace 'supporter culture' then they need to understand that supporters travel, often in numbers.

besides, I'm talking about like 300-500 seats here that would go back up for sale to Toronto residents if visitors aren't taking them. At least give them a grace period to get enough seats for their supporters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    you saw my post about the possible repercussions of not letting supporters to come visit? it will only hurt us on the road when people decide to only allow Toronto 70 seats (or whatever number we allow them) just to prove a point.
    That was excactly my thought when Paul said that on ITF. We need to tread carefully here with the away support. We could be the ones being hurt here more than other teams. We are known as the best travelling group in MLS. We screw with everyone else there is going to be a backlash and it ain't going to help us.

There has to be a 50/50 way of doing this. Use the North stand as walkups on game day. But allow away supporters to buy more tickets if need be on a game to game basis.

Ie. If Philly wants to bring 300 this upcoming year. Limit the group sales for that game (as Paul said on ICF) and allow ticket holders in the away area to switch there tickets to the North Stands for that game. And sell the remaining North stand seats to walk ups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very well true

Crew supporters have stated this already.
    Saying they were only given 100 or so.
    But who are they fooling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alsoo another problem is that there is going to be a demand in the need for more security, to separte these supporters from the rest. Other than seattle the better supported teams are in the north east, and will have travelling support ala, Toronto FC, Chicago Fire, Philadelphia Union, D.C. United, NJ Redbulls, and you can throw in the crew.

MLS wants rivalies, they better have the right set up, and get things straight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be curious to see how Philly handles this because they are on the mark for a full house in their first season and due to their location there is a high likelihood for multiple games with significant travelling support coming to Chester.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, if MLS wants to actually wants to embrace 'supporter culture' then they need to understand that supporters travel, often in numbers.

besides, I'm talking about like 300-500 seats here that would go back up for sale to Toronto residents if visitors aren't taking them. At least give them a grace period to get enough seats for their supporters.
    I think 300 seats are more than enough for away support. If opposing supporters plan for more, they can work with our front office just like TFC's groups do with other teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I'll be curious to see how Philly handles this because they are on the mark for a full house in their first season and due to their location there is a high likelihood for multiple games with significant travelling support coming to Chester.

VERY TRUE

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    very well true

Crew supporters have stated this already.
    Saying they were only given 100 or so.
    But who are they fooling

I think it was Chicago actually.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    I think 300 seats are more than enough for away support. If opposing supporters plan for more, they can work with our front office just like TFC's groups do with other teams.
    that's the beauty - the 300 (or whatever number) are there for visitors, but go back into the general pool a month or so before the game. Other SG's in other cities would know how many people are going, or at least a ballpark figure a month before the date. And if they only need 30, then there's 270 more walkup seats (or last minute group sales seats).

I just know that we (all the TFC suppoerters) have the most to lose if other stadiums decide to cap the number of visitors allowed. Sure most stadiums have thousands of empty seats, but it's not going to be that way in Philly, Seattle, Montreal, possibly the new NYRB one too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's ugly, but it our kind of ugly.

sure it looks like it was designed by a bored civil engineering student,
    but it has great sight lines, the seats are very close to the pitch,
    and there's room for improvement worked into the plan from the very start.
    west and east side are great view but the view from both endzone is not that great. I guess I'm just so use to watching it on tv that when watching it live i can not stand watching any sports from the endzone.

the one place in bmo that i would like to sit and watch the game is in sec 220 or 221 but the seats cost is way too much
    Last edited by nascarguy; 12-01-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts were that by setting aside a "reasonable" percentage of your home seating capacity for the registered supporters of a visiting team... that they would be obliged to reciprocate and set aside a comparable number for when TFC comes to town and its supporters follow them. A pre-determined time frame for the visiting supporters to speak up and pay for their tickets would have to be agreed upon hopefully as a league wide standard.

Of course the definition of that "reasonable" number might be a tough one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think that's the best way to do it.

However, I also think they need to do a better job marketing these types of seats to the general public. I think most people don't even know that now there are extra seats made available a week before the game. The message that always gets out is 'everything's sold out,' and I think a lot of normals maybe don't even bother to check.

I think about a week before the game they need to run ads in the papers specifying how many tickets are available for that week's game.

Gixmo

Just listening to the Podcast now, and I can see where this is going. Paul B is smooth... I'm not in the 14,000 but it gives me a game day option if I can't do seasons in a great locale..

... and Shit.. tsk tsk