Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Exactly. That move was 100% a new, inexperienced GM put in a tough spot and trying to show he doing something to fix the team without thinking of the long term implications. Add in that he chose Dunfield to manage the team at that point was baffling. Everything about Hernandez's first month was a mess and an old school TFC style mess. Trying to put wallpaper on a collapsing building kind of thinking as we've usually always done. Any good GM with some recognition on where we were would've ran a fire sale (if possible) and should have done no moves until we got a new manager and just rode out the kids with Dunfield until the end. Wouldn't have been any worse because it couldn't have been.
    Maybe there is another shoe to drop with Atlanta? Seems like they owe us for helping them out of their cap problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Ibarra was the single dumbest move in team history, and that is saying something.
    I don’t know about that. Here’s my top 3 for player decisions only. and think we can agree as dumb as the player decisions have been the management staffing decisions have been the worst.

1) being too cheap to pay Dero, our leading scorer and franchise player who gets traded for nothing and goes on to register something like 15 goals and 13 assists the next season

2) Massively overpaying for Kaye

3) Signing JDG who was rumoured to crocked (and sure enough looked like once he suited up for TFC).

Honourable mention: Mista… because Mista
    Last edited by ag futbol; 05-10-2024 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don’t know about that. Here’s my top 3 for player decisions only. and think we can agree as dumb as the player decisions have been

1) being too cheap to pay Dero, our leading scorer and franchise player who gets traded for nothing and goes on to register something like 15 goals and 13 assists the next season

3) Signing JDG who was rumoured to crocked (and sure enough looked like once he suited up for TFC).

MAK was just a plain old mistake. 20/20 hindsight. MAK had been injured and his club form was off - but he had rebounded for Canada (he was getting significant Canada minutes when he was acquired, and had recently gone 90 and played really well in one of the biggest CMNT games ever, the win in Hamilton)

The others were just plain old overpaying or underpaying - it happens on every team all the time. (Although Mista had a bunging narrative, supposedly - but that is a separate category again I think)

Ibarra is in a category all its own - it literally made no sense in any scenario even before Ibarra had ever played a minute for TFC.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know about that. Here’s my top 3 for player decisions only. and think we can agree as dumb as the player decisions have been

Honourable mention #2 - As of today they've spent approximately $25m on Insigne for 12 goals and 6 assists in 23 months.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honourable mention #2 - As of today they've spent approximately $25m on Insigne for 12 goals and 6 assists in 23 months.
    Thats no honourable mention. That’s the actual winner. I stand corrected.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very frustrating to think about what sort of value herdman/ hernandez / rubio could add to the team with that sort of money to spend.

le sigh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are threads out there in the net-verse on this. Mo Johnson seems to win honourable mention as a management Main CPU on a few/the most? Anyways, some other bandied about old names that may stir up shivering and head shaking memories…

Kyle Bekker, Andy Iro, Nick Garcia, Danny Califf, Pablo Vitti, Maxim Usanov, Ahmed Kantari, Terrence Boyd, Gilberto, Ager Aketxe, Erickson Gallardo, Mista, Jeff Cunningham, Gregory van der Wiel, Alen Stevanovic, John Bostock, Jeremy Brockie, Nick Soolsma, Ben Spencer, Luke Moore, Javier Martina, Molham Babouli, Fuad Ibrahim, Olivier Tebily and on and on… Pick your poison…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...nto_FC_players

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean there's a chance the ibarra deal was us doing atlanta a favour.

Returned this year with ettienne deal. him at a 90K cap hit is an insane deal.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 05-10-2024 at 10:17 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

Possibly but he was also a bad fit and never panned out there. The supporters turned on him too. It was just a bad scene, something they seem to have a lot of these days.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibly but he was also a bad fit and never panned out there. The supporters turned on him too. It was just a bad scene, something they seem to have a lot of these days.
    Yes but I'd imagine a bunch of teams would have taken him at that rate, but we got him

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but I'd imagine a bunch of teams would have taken him at that rate, but we got him
    True but he has also only played a couple matches so far. Even MAK looked good in his first few matches the summer he arrived. Even if this was connected to Ibarra, which there's no way to know, the jury is still out on Etienne for at least a few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Jozy reup had an even worse $ per goal contribution return I believe (Made worse again by the fact he's a striker, and a higher % of his return will be captured in that one statistic), and with the information at the time, a much more predictable worse return. These are the two contenders, in terms of sheer cost to return, I don't see anything else in the stratosphere. Insigine can still turn that ratio around at least somewhat, too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    The Jozy reup had an even worse $ per goal contribution return I believe (Made worse again by the fact he's a striker, and a higher % of his return will be captured in that one statistic)
    It's not like Insigne has been garnering returns in many facets of the game minus rehab visits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot he came from Atlanta. Maybe that was the other shoe dropping I referenced earlier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a can of worms (on an artificial pitch) Ibarra has opened!

I can’t help mentioning Mista (because it’s Mista) - similar to Ibarra in that he had no interest in being here, at least after one match or two when he did show his quality, but he was a DP.

It’s a strange position to have been a TFC fan over the years (a team known locally as “the FCs”, hah). With Montreal, say, I think most fans there must know Joey’s basic habits and violent impulses, but with our ownership one can never tell, after each rather long period of incompetence/corruption or competence/thoughtfulness, what will come next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand why it would have made sense for another team. The later player might have been more open to staying permanently and his shit attitude might have been kept in check by a stronger group.

But for TFC? It was pure gas on the fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    MAK was just a plain old mistake. 20/20 hindsight. MAK had been injured and his club form was off - but he had rebounded for Canada (he was getting significant Canada minutes when he was acquired, and had recently gone 90 and played really well in one of the biggest CMNT games ever, the win in Hamilton)

The others were just plain old overpaying or underpaying - it happens on every team all the time. (Although Mista had a bunging narrative, supposedly - but that is a separate category again I think)

Ibarra is in a category all its own - it literally made no sense in any scenario even before Ibarra had ever played a minute for TFC.
    But the long term damage of these ones is real (same with Insigne I suppose). In comparison, we exit Ibarra in a few months. It might win an award for stupidity but didn’t exactly sink the ship.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In comparison, we exit Ibarra in a few months. It might win an award for stupidity but didn’t exactly sink the ship.
    Well when everything went down last July we were taking on water but we surprisingly still that play in spot not completely out of sight even though we sucked. Then we tossed Ibarra & Dunfield in the mix and we quickly became the worst team in our history and that's saying something. No matter what, Ibarra was a decent part of that historic spoon run we had from July to October.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the long term damage of these ones is real (same with Insigne I suppose). In comparison, we exit Ibarra in a few months. It might win an award for stupidity but didn’t exactly sink the ship.
    True enough. Ibarra was short lived and relatively inexpensive. A sign of all of our signings since the disaster of Bob is that they’ve been made on the cheap. Yes, Hernandez, on his own, made some poor acquisitions but with next to no budget to work with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin Long is leading the league in defensive aerial duels by a double-digit margin.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Kevin Long is leading the league in defensive aerial duels by a double-digit margin.
    His positional awareness makes up for his relative lack of speed. We put him in on Wednesday and the whole back line settled down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love us to go get a 2nd Kevin long type from the English Championship

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I'd love us to go get a 2nd Kevin long type from the English Championship
    Good article on him. He was dominant in the air in the Championship, too.

Fans clearly didn't approve of him going, based on the comments. "He was our best defender."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spo...ronto-29140370

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seen that stat on Twitter today. Benteke having nearly triple the aerial duels won of second place is crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    True enough. Ibarra was short lived and relatively inexpensive. A sign of all of our signings since the disaster of Bob is that they’ve been made on the cheap. Yes, Hernandez, on his own, made some poor acquisitions but with next to no budget to work with.
    Bradley’s early moves reeked of laziness. Overpaying for what he knew rather than scouting for cheaper alternatives. Once he thoroughly dug that hole and put us in cap hell, he just kept digging towards the earths core in a desperate attempt to save himself.

Everyone in the world could see it except Manning and our ownership team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I apologize if this has already been brought up/discussed somewhere earlier in this thread, but I didn't specifically see anything about it so I wanted to mention it. Basically, I had a horrible thought about this whole Berna being willing to 're-do this contract' rumour.

Now, of course, it could be a baseless rumour. But I saw someone somewhere mention that it could've been started by his agent for some reason. But what reason would his agent have to start a rumour saying his client wanted to re-do his contract with his current team? Because it would seem to suggest his client was happy to stay up and even willing to take less money to do so.

But what if (and this would be truly horrible and involve months of deception) Berna still does want to go back to Italy, but after learning that no teams wanted to take on his big contract in January, he's going to make it seem like he's willing to reduce his contract and stay, but then come summer he'll demand a transfer. Hell, in this scenario, it's even possible the figures have already secretly been arranged with a club in Italy and he and his agent will try to force it all in the summer.

Is there any possible validity to this, or am I just dreaming up a nightmare scenario?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The scenario you mention could be true but the one thing I got out of listening to Berna last year is he wants to be somewhere doing the game in a way that he enjoys & building something. He didn't sound like he was blowing smoke about the building. Berne's got that now. He plays like this for the next 2.5 seasons and we win something in 2026....the guy has a potential to become a Toronto sporting legend.

Because if there is one thing this town loves more then a player who works hard all the time, is a player who works hard all the time & scores.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The scenario you mention could be true but the one thing I got out of listening to Berna last year is he wants to be somewhere doing the game in a way that he enjoys & building something. He didn't sound like he was blowing smoke about the building. Berne's got that now. He plays like this for the next 2.5 seasons and we win something in 2026....the guy has a potential to become a Toronto sporting legend.

Because if there is one thing this town loves more then a player who works hard all the time, is a player who works hard all the time & scores.
    I certainly hope so. I mean, I hope he does want to re-do his contract so the club can bring in other players more easily. That would be fantastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlie Sharp scores his third goal of the season (in his 4th game, 3 in his last 3)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to have to give him senior time soon, he keeps finishing like that.