Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain View Post
    We need a big banner for the next home game: MLS= Mickymouse League Soccer!
    Relax bud, this would be VERY counterproductive. I also have no idea why people made a banner calling Defoe "Judas". It's pretty much guaranteeing a bad outcome, it's better to keep a level head and play it smart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think about it for a second...the fans by showing up and the players in the league through collective bargaining process have accepted that there will be different rules for DP's. Why would anyone think it would be anything different in the playoffs for discipline? As Orwell wrote...All animals are equal...some more equal than others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not surprised at all that the league took no action even though they said it was worth a red. It's all because it is Villa that there was no suspension handed out. I saw that ruling coming a mile away. It is complete bullshit but I am choosing not to dwell on it. We are a solid 90 minutes away from the CONFERENCE FINALS!! We need to keep our heads and play a strong shut down game. What worries me more is the fact our defense will have to be very careful inside our box. I already know everyone in a blue shirt will his the field if you breathe too hard on them. We need to play tight but clean and hit on the counter attack. In the 3 games at Yankee Stadium we are averaging 2 goals a game. This years game we were robbed of a win by a David Villa hand ball goal. Last years 4-4 only ended up that way because Creavalle is an idiot and decided to hand the ball back in front of his goal. We have had success there and I expect it to continue. We just need to pick our spots and hit them on the counter. I am saying a 2-2 tie and we punch our ticket.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doyle on the 3-5-2 coming back to MLS. http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/1...ow-it-works-qa

A couple of decent points he has

To do this you need:

a great communicator as the central CD
    mids that know when to drop back to cover for forward going defenders
    outstandingly fit WB's

Justin Morrow is the prototypical WB in a 3-5-2

I think we are doing well right now with this formation and that it is tailor made to handle NYCFC in Yankee stadium.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 11-03-2016 at 06:04 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had trouble accepting the 3-5-2 because I associate it with Mo and TFC in their first few games in 2007.
    Anyone who watched Adam Braz, Marco Reda and Andrew Boyens try to run that system knows what I mean.

Although Marvell Wynne was a great 3-5-2 wingback. Didn't have Morrow's nose for goal, but he wreaked havoc with his speed. He had a sequence on a lead up to a Dichio goal against Colorado that remains one of TFC's alltime goals.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-03-2016 at 06:15 AM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One player who traditionally isn't one of my favourites is Oso, but he is really playing a central part on the high press. He seems a lot of the time to be the one initiating the high press, it seems on his call they press as a unit. This part is imperative, because if only 1 or 2 players press then the other team can pass their way out, but when we press as a unit, it closes them down. The high press we used against NYCFC was excellent, as we give them the first 1-2 passes unchallenged then boom hit them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Relax bud, this would be VERY counterproductive. I also have no idea why people made a banner calling Defoe "Judas". It's pretty much guaranteeing a bad outcome, it's better to keep a level head and play it smart.
    I fully agree with this statement. A banner will just get MLS on the phone to Pro and tell them to call everything against TFC. The league has shown their cards now all that can be done is win to spite them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(BTW, someone unaffiliated should refrain from the temptation to tell a supporters group what to do. I wouldn't tell U-Sector or the Inebriatti what banners they should make, especially since I'm not helping them with the hard work).[/QUOTE]

Oldtimer, who are you referring to as unaffiliated?
    Last edited by Cuchulain; 11-03-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

(BTW, someone unaffiliated should refrain from the temptation to tell a supporters group what to do. I wouldn't tell U-Sector or the Inebriatti what banners they should make, especially since I'm not helping them with the hard work).
    Interestingly enough, just because Cuchulain didn't renew his membership this year, you think he's "unaffiliated"? Brian has been around since Day 1... Just like a lot of people who didn't renew their "RPB Memberships" but still live and breathe RPB...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Interestingly enough, just because Cuchulain didn't renew his membership this year, you think he's "unaffiliated"? Brian has been around since Day 1... Just like a lot of people who didn't renew their "RPB Memberships" but still live and breathe RPB...
    I am renewed: Paid cash to Coach at a game! Probably didn't get posted. Jeeezzz....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am renewed: Paid cash to Coach at a game! Probably didn't get posted. Jeeezzz....
    I stand corrected!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oldtimer, who are you referring to as unaffiliated?

Ooopss. Sorry about that! I really am! I don't know every board name to the user. I'd probably recognize you in person.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-03-2016 at 09:26 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooopss. Sorry about that! I really am! I don't know every board name to the user. I'd probably recognize you in person.
    Apology accepted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunday cannot come fast enough... 401 home and away would be epic. First and foremost, get that 1 away goal and kill em on the counter when they start pushing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there's a stand up comedy festival going on this weekend in NY. When I went to Portland I saw Bob Saget the night before, maybe I'll continue the tradition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Hey there's a stand up comedy festival going on this weekend in NY. When I went to Portland I saw Bob Saget the night before, maybe I'll continue the tradition.
    Also a smallish Marathon happening this weekend as well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Also a smallish Marathon happening this weekend as well...
    Even if the marathon finished in time for the TFC game I couldn't imagine having the energy to go and I've only ever run a half, once.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to Sunday's match like a kid at Christmas. Just got confirmed for the Viewing Party at BMO...anyone else going?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    Looking forward to Sunday's match like a kid at Christmas. Just got confirmed for the Viewing Party at BMO...anyone else going?
    Rejected from yet another one. They really need to think of a better way of doing these than doing a drawing a couple days before — makes it impossible to decide what to do or to plan anything. Plus, what about all the people who hadn’t had an event prior to clinching playoff spots? Prior years, there were more events, no lotteries, and you actually knew how to plan a weekend. This year has been a complete crapshoot. Some people hadn't even got an event invite prior to being asked to renew. No one can reproach the team for their play this year compared to past years, but MLSE has definitely dropped the ball on SSHs this year (wonder if they figured on-field disappointment no longer needed to be placated by off-field events).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    I will be at Joe's with our RPB family, much more appealing to me than the BMO Club. Have been in their on game days. While it definitely had a great spread do not think it would be ideal for watching a game. On an added note the way MLSE has handled events/experiences recently has not been ideal compared to the past when it was first come, first serve.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    One player who traditionally isn't one of my favourites is Oso, but he is really playing a central part on the high press. He seems a lot of the time to be the one initiating the high press, it seems on his call they press as a unit. This part is imperative, because if only 1 or 2 players press then the other team can pass their way out, but when we press as a unit, it closes them down. The high press we used against NYCFC was excellent, as we give them the first 1-2 passes unchallenged then boom hit them.
    This is an interesting point. My opinion of Osorio has been changing a lot over the past year but I'm starting to acknowledge his defensive side more. He is intelligent with his movement and knows how to work as part of a unit. While he is by no means extraordinary on the athletic end, he has had the stamina to regularly put in 90 minutes all season long whereas a guy like Delgado clearly wilted during the congested part of the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know of any places in the Kitchener-Waterloo area where they will be showing the game on Sunday? Also, if it is a bar, will they allow some people under 19 inside?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Reds will score early on, forcing the baby blue's from the Bronx in need of four goals the rest of the way. I have a very strong feeling that this will be the case. Cheers to that.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Further strengthens the case for the diamond on Sunday.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz View Post
    This is an interesting point. My opinion of Osorio has been changing a lot over the past year but I'm starting to acknowledge his defensive side more. He is intelligent with his movement and knows how to work as part of a unit. While he is by no means extraordinary on the athletic end, he has had the stamina to regularly put in 90 minutes all season long whereas a guy like Delgado clearly wilted during the congested part of the summer.
    he blocks passing lanes and presses strategically. hes is very efficient and that doesn't really translate well to someone watching the game from a far.
    If you focus on him all game you notice that he rarely makes defensive mistakes, doesn't take unnecessary risk, and passing mistakes are usually an issue of miscommunication,
    Hes a solid MLSer and has lots of time to grow. His style also lends well to a lengthy career

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by currystain37 View Post
    Anyone know of any places in the Kitchener-Waterloo area where they will be showing the game on Sunday? Also, if it is a bar, will they allow some people under 19 inside?
    Use to be a KW RPB branch..not sure if it even exsists anymore. Use to gather at a pub in waterloo to watch matches.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me the diamond on that field is a bad idea - NYCFC play what amounts to a 3-6-1 that morphs into a 3-4-3. They would overrun our diamond midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Further strengthens the case for the diamond on Sunday.

Not sure it does at all honestly. Bloom puts in a better cross, is solid in possession, and in a 3-5-2 he has more cover behind him when he's caught up the field. Th

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    To me the diamond on that field is a bad idea - NYCFC play what amounts to a 3-6-1 that morphs into a 3-4-3. They would overrun our diamond midfield.
    Depends how much you weigh offensive vs defensive strategy. We would score more playing through the middle rather than attempting wing play.