View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 152 of 163 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,560 of 4872
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I personally hope Rogers tear Rogers Centre and build a new stadium on that location, but that will mean Blue Jays will have to play somewhere else until stadium is built though.

And it wont come to this either. This isnt atlanta. Rogers centre is here for at least another 20 to 25 years at the earliest.

i too personally hope a lot of things but 99% of it doesnt come to fruition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally hope Rogers tear Rogers Centre and build a new stadium on that location, but that will mean Blue Jays will have to play somewhere else until stadium is built though.
    Not going to happen. Rogers don't even own the land the stadium is on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Not going to happen. Rogers don't even own the land the stadium is on.
    I know that, but City wouldn't mind if they built new stadium on their land unless they really want more condos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The City don't own it either - the Crown owns it

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm no. Ol concrete box cost taxpayers how much?

Let it stay till it crumbles, I say.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Umm no. Ol concrete box cost taxpayers how much?

Let it stay till it crumbles, I say.
    Rogers bought it (for $25 million which is a steal); it's their stadium to do whatever they want to do with it, but I am sure City wouldn't let Rogers leave stadium to rot.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that, but City wouldn't mind if they built new stadium on their land unless they really want more condos.
    Rogers bought it (for $25 million which is a steal); it's their stadium to do whatever they want to do with it, but I am sure City wouldn't let Rogers leave stadium to rot.
    I'm well aware who owns it and how much they payed for it. My comment was towards the fact that taxpayers built it like every other stadium in Canada. Rogers owns the the stadium now but if they decided to build another are you proposing they wouldn't lean heavily on the taxpayer and pay for a stadium out of their own pockets? That's pretty unprecedented. Hence my not caring if they rush to replace the concrete box.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the ACC the only arena or stadium in Canada built with full private funds?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    hmm..

"Lyon says he is confident he will be able to recommend installing grass, and make recommendations for 2018, but he says meeting that goal will depend on how fast the engineering and construction companies are able to work."

i know, but these weren't things that just popped up over night. They were thought about before they ever said the word grass. Likely a rough estimate of potential cost, and they said go ahead, sinking 600000$ into making it happen. If the grass can grow (this guy says yes) then everything else will get done.
    Dr Lyons and the GTI are getting 600K to do some research and make recommendations.
    he can always make a recommendation.
    whether it is feasible or palatable is another.
    he might say it needs some 500million dollar dehumidifier. and a 500million dollar UV lamp system.
    Will Rogers pay it? he made a recommendation....but it might not be realistic or within budget for Rogers Corp.
    So with that kind of money...it might be possible.
    The GTI is a pretty cool place...they do a lot of work.
    http://www.guelphturfgrass.ca/

anyways, anyone can make a recommendation.
    whether it is truly accepted and implemented is another thing.

there are a lot of things to consider. There are even consultants out there that look at the sun, and simulations over a season to see how much natural light will hit the blades of grass. with the configuration of the dome, and surrounding condos, and the depth of the playing surface, if the dome is left open (which was suggested it was not engineered to do), would enough sun come in?

Will there be sufficient microbial action in the soil given the conditions and humidity?

on the fields we built and maintained, we'd bring in this company...
    http://www.blinc.com/scripts/WebDire...tantNumber=499
    just to do soil audits. Is crazy all the things that can impact your soil.

also, if the dome is left open more often, what affect will spraying herbicides have in a building that was engineered to be an indoor facility?
    will they need to tent the field?

My understanding was that the Jays simply threw the term grass out there to buy time and give hope, and to counter the reports that people didn't want to play on their turf. "hey. we're working on it"
    and it took them a couple of years to engage Dr. Lyons.
    and it will take a couple of years to get his recommendation.
    etc...
    etc...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beeston does things a bit slowly these days.

New boss in 2016 might be a bit more lively.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    Is the ACC the only arena or stadium in Canada built with full private funds?
    Canadian Tire Centre. (There was a loan, that was paid back at the time, Loan was 26.8m mostly for the cost of the interchange that needed to be built)
    Bell Centre
    Rogers Arena

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Canadian Tire Centre. (There was a loan, that was paid back at the time, Loan was 26.8m mostly for the cost of the interchange that needed to be built)
    Bell Centre
    Rogers Arena
    I see, so only hockey arenas. No stadiums. Makes sense since hockey is the most profitable sport in the country.

Whatever happened to that pie in the sky 40 000 seat privately funded cricket stadium in toronto?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It went nowhere - the guy was exposed as being a fraudster

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Argos news...

Good for them. They've got a meme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see, so only hockey arenas. No stadiums. Makes sense since hockey is the most profitable sport in the country.

Whatever happened to that pie in the sky 40 000 seat privately funded cricket stadium in toronto?
    Brampton.. if it sounds ridiculous chance are it comes from Brampton.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Star column tonight about last chances blah blah blah. Nothing we didn't already know. Can't link it from my phone.

Braley is being a tight wad. MLSE isn't wanting it that bad. The CFL thinks it needs Toronto but other owners don't. Other option is for Braley to build his own stadium.

Sounds like this thread all in one place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Star column tonight about last chances blah blah blah. Nothing we didn't already know. Can't link it from my phone.

Braley is being a tight wad. MLSE isn't wanting it that bad. The CFL thinks it needs Toronto but other owners don't. Other option is for Braley to build his own stadium.

Sounds like this thread all in one place.
    Honestly, I feel bad for Argo fans who have to put up with this talk. Either move in BMO field already by coughing up $10 million or build a stadium somewhere in 905 region (which will be cheaper than building it in 416 region).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Brampton.. if it sounds ridiculous chance are it comes from Brampton.
    Is there even enough land left to build a stadium in Brampton? It seems like developers are just building houses after houses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there even enough land left to build a stadium in Brampton? It seems like developers are just building houses after houses.
    Brampton battalion have folded in the past year leaving the powerade centre a ghost town.brampton beast have recently moved in but I belive cannot draw a crowd. The land in and around there is prime real estate IMO as there is availability for expanding. As well the 410 is in Reno.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos in Brampton? Bill Davis would be in heaven.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not sure if this means anything but both the Maple Leafs and Raptors twitter account is retweeting and encouraging other to support the Argos on twitter in today CFL twitter contest between teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not sure if this means anything but both the Maple Leafs and Raptors twitter account is retweeting and encouraging other to support the Argos on twitter in today CFL twitter contest between teams.
    Yeah, it means nothing (it will mean something if they asked TFC though). lol

If anything, this bad move from Argos PR POV by asking help from Raptors and Leafs to help them get votes so they can see their schedule since they don't have enough votes (aka fans on twitter).
    Last edited by TFC07; 02-13-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The Argos in Brampton? Bill Davis would be in heaven.
    Yeah he will be, but Argos will fail in Brampton as well. People here aren't into pro sports for some odd reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah he will be, but Argos will fail in Brampton as well. People here aren't into pro sports for some odd reason.
    It isn't really a mystery

at least 25% of the population wants little or nothing to do with anything outside of their social sphere. At least 25% more of the population works and socializes outside of the city and are there just to sleep and don't know what is happening in the city on any given week. Any other large portion of the population doesn't want to drive to the outskirts of town through the dangerous roads of Brampton (one of the highest Insurance rates in Ontario I'm told (but that could be hearsay))

And then add that with OHL the average attendance is only about 3,300 and 5,000 even though you have a good 150-200,000 people that have the potential to be interested the location of the rink and the difficulty to get to it kills it. Yes you have the 410, but it is still a 15-20 minute drive for most people (it's only a 40 minute drive to see the Marlies or the Leafs) , and if you are a young person it can take the better part of an hour to take a bus down.

The Final issue is in 1996 the population of Brampton was 130-150k people today it is round 600k So a huge majority of the population was not born in the city and has no real connection to it.

All of these factors are why Sports don't work. However the Argos would be different it is top flight, it has the highway, and would draw people from the whole of the GTA, it is even an hour closer to people from Guelph which might encourage people. So it stands a much better chance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    It isn't really a mystery

at least 25% of the population wants little or nothing to do with anything outside of their social sphere. At least 25% more of the population works and socializes outside of the city and are there just to sleep and don't know what is happening in the city on any given week. Any other large portion of the population doesn't want to drive to the outskirts of town through the dangerous roads of Brampton (one of the highest Insurance rates in Ontario I'm told (but that could be hearsay))

And then add that with OHL the average attendance is only about 3,300 and 5,000 even though you have a good 150-200,000 people that have the potential to be interested the location of the rink and the difficulty to get to it kills it. Yes you have the 410, but it is still a 15-20 minute drive for most people (it's only a 40 minute drive to see the Marlies or the Leafs) , and if you are a young person it can take the better part of an hour to take a bus down.

The Final issue is in 1996 the population of Brampton was 130-150k people today it is round 600k So a huge majority of the population was not born in the city and has no real connection to it.

All of these factors are why Sports don't work. However the Argos would be different it is top flight, it has the highway, and would draw people from the whole of the GTA, it is even an hour closer to people from Guelph which might encourage people. So it stands a much better chance.

Agreed,

its almost the same story in Mississauga. I say almost because I truly believe that the Argos would draw well in Mississauga because when it comes to not being 'into' local sports Hockey is the only one affected by the 'Toronto' issue.

Football (local high school and minor) has always had a following in Mississauga. The only reason the current OHL teams is still around is because they give their tickets away in their group sales, and the league wants to keep at least one team in the GTA.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it means nothing (it will mean something if they asked TFC though). lol

If anything, this bad move from Argos PR POV by asking help from Raptors and Leafs to help them get votes so they can see their schedule since they don't have enough votes (aka fans on twitter).
    Lol its not a bad PR move. People aren't reading into it that much, sports teams in the same town always cross promote And who says the Argos asked MLSE for help.

Im saying MLSE could be promoting the Argo's through their twitter account because a potential sale to them is soon to be finalized. I know most sports teams in the same city cross promote. But one's with different owners are less likely to. I dont think the Raptors or Leafs twitter account has ever promoted the Argos..... until now.
    Last edited by king10; 02-13-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol its not a bad PR move. People aren't reading into it that much, sports teams in the same town always cross promote And who says the Argos asked MLSE for help.
    First you say that, then you say this:

Im saying MLSE could be promoting the Argo's through their twitter account because a potential sale to them is soon to be finalized. I know most sports teams in the same city cross promote. But one's with different owners are less likely to. I dont think the Raptors or Leafs twitter account has ever promoted the Argos..... until now.
    Wow, I don't know where to go with this. But let's say if that was case, then how come MLSE other teams ( TFC and Marlies) didn't promote Argos too?

My "theory" is that Argos wanted some help from bigger Toronto teams with tons of twitter followers to help them get their schedule unlocked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how come MLSE other teams ( TFC and Marlies) didn't promote Argos too?

My "theory" is that Argos wanted some help from bigger Toronto teams with tons of twitter followers to help them get their schedule unlocked.
    It was a CFL wide schedule release. The Argos tweeted the Leafs and the Raptors which is why they retweeted it.
    Last edited by Enterprise Captain; 02-13-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
    It was a CFL wide schedule release. The Argos tweeted the Leafs and the Raptors which is why they retweeted it.
    Yeah I just saw a poll on twitter where Riders smoked rest of CFL in votes to get schedule.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I just saw a poll on twitter where Riders smoked rest of CFL in votes to get schedule.
    Given 3/4 of their fan base lives in Calgary, Vancouver or Toronto....not surprised.