Page 80 of 215 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130180 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 6437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Armen,

Thanks for the info. So, you are saying it will be either Defoe or Gilardino. All I am saying is that Gilardino and Gilberto are similar players. I can't see TFC signing two similar type strikers. So, I have to think it will Defoe over Gilardino. Thought it was going to be Defoe and Gilardino signing together.

Not sure if remember when Tim Leiwke told Anthony Totera a while back at Q and A session online that he was going to bring in an Italian forward.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're not necessarily similar players, but they're more similar than Defoe-Gilberto would be.

I think it's going to be one or the other. If it's both, then that's a lot of money and then there would be three forwards on the team if Gilberto also signs.

I'm not going to lie to you guys and say I know something you don't; your guess is as good as mine as to which player(s) Toronto FC signs right now. But I'll be sure to report something if I hear it.

Also, Jazzy, the Gilardino offer was reportedly $6 million to Genoa and $3 million for Gilardino per year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Well, you have to admit, Spurs can't really afford to allow any forwards to leave without an immediate replacement.
    They've certainly been playing 'showcasing' him in the last couple of games ....maybe to finalize any decisions regarding if he stays . I think if they could find any replacement they would. Myself after watching some of his unfortunate chances gotta wonder if he's worth $50M . Can't see any decision till Jan unless they are certain he can't help them . Would like someone a tad less expensive ?

thanx Armen...based on Gilardino's cost must admit he may be better value , esp if GIlberto signs he can feed the 'pure' striker.....this is my hope, now , as speculative as it is.
    Last edited by jazzy; 12-10-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://mlstransfers.blogspot.ca/2013...eeper.html?m=1

Frei interview with some Seattle guy
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Armen,

It can't be both. TFC have Laba as a DP. He's a young DP, but still a DP. Do you think TFC can use allocation money to sign Gilberto as a non-dp. They have a lot of allocation money.

Can you find out of it's possible to use allocation money to bring down a player's contract and not have him as a "DP". Kind of similar when TFC signed Urruti. Remember he was technically a DP or league DP, but in the end he was not a DP.

You know what I mean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Whoever said Gilberto is going out for a drink with Drake tonight...

Drake is at the game also
    caught us with our rollerblades undone.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They can pay down Laba to make him a non-DP for this season, so yes, you can pay down a salary to not make a player a DP.

But I believe it's going to be either/or, not both. Defoe the preferred option but if Tottenham closes the book, Gilardino is right there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Writing was on the wall when he wasn't on the team sheet this past weekend. On the surface it sounds like a good singing to compliment a veteran dp. Hopefully it works out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    They've certainly been playing 'showcasing' him in the last couple of games ....maybe to finalize any decisions regarding if he stays . I think if they could find any replacement they would. Myself after watching some of his unfortunate chances gotta wonder if he's worth $50M . Can't see any decision till Jan unless they are certain he can't help them . Would like someone a tad less expensive ?

thanx Armen...based on Gilardino's cost must admit he may be better value , esp if GIlberto signs he can feed the 'pure' striker.....this is my hope, now , as speculative as it is.
    They're not 'showcasing' him. They are in need of goals. Soldado isn't scoring so he's getting his shot. Spurs basically have two strikers at the moment with Ade gone again. There is no way they let Defoe go without a replacement. And I have my doubts about Levy opening the wallet again in January after spending £100 million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    caught us with our rollerblades undone.
    brilliant

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he signs, we should start practicing some boss nova songs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Cathal is almost giddy with positivity - hardly sounds like himself at all!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    Cathal is almost giddy with positivity - hardly sounds like himself at all!
    I keep checking the calendar to see if it's April 1st.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we'll necessarily see a target / support striker setup. It will be a little more dynamic, like what LA tries to do up top.

That being said, still wondering about the combination of these two players. Feels a little off.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    They're not 'showcasing' him. They are in need of goals. Soldado isn't scoring so he's getting his shot. Spurs basically have two strikers at the moment with Ade gone again. There is no way they let Defoe go without a replacement. And I have my doubts about Levy opening the wallet again in January after spending £100 million.
    yes I was being a bit facetious.....point being they're stuck and aren't going to gift him to anyone......IF he had done better with his chances I think he would have been held but they may have made up their mind all ready but are desperate . Soldado is a bust right now and IMHO Tottenham are not overtaking Liverpool , Arsenal , Manchester City ,and Everton? Which is not what I expected at the start of the season . MC wins btw off topic...(not my team)......I may be wrong but with Gilberto?? , I'd rather Gilardino . Cost wise....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    now you're talking....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS has not been a player for this type of player historically. These guys go to Russia, the Gulf states, and Japan.

$5M is the right amount of risk, not $50M.

I am impressed. The Gilberto move is the right kind of dramatic move for this league/team.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I expect to see a dance as well.

Bossa Nova flash mob in 112.

Do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    MLS has not been a player for this type of player historically. These guys go to Russia, the Gulf states, and Japan.

I am impressed. The Gilberto move is the right kind of dramatic move for this league/team.
    That may have historically been the case, but judging by the game I saw on sportsnet today, I think they all just go to shakhtar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

I have a feeling Orlando might help open the flood gate in the near future as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    That may have historically been the case, but judging by the game I saw on sportsnet today, I think they all just go to shakhtar
    Plus Ukraine, of course!
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope these DP signings are mentally tough. This will be a tough year. This team needs to upgrade about 7 domestic players before it can contend, no way that can all happen in 2014.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the way he runs over to his teammate who made a tap in happen for him. I don't think enough players do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    yes I was being a bit facetious.....point being they're stuck and aren't going to gift him to anyone......IF he had done better with his chances I think he would have been held but they may have made up their mind all ready but are desperate . Soldado is a bust right now and IMHO Tottenham are not overtaking Liverpool , Arsenal , Manchester City ,and Everton? Which is not what I expected at the start of the season . MC wins btw off topic...(not my team)......I may be wrong but with Gilberto?? , I'd rather Gilardino . Cost wise....
    Ah, sorry. Sometimes hard to get sarcasm over a message board.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, gelling is going to take a while. Playoffs a goal and probably doable, but there will be a lot of "WHAT the?!?!" going on for a few months.

Good thing is the defence, by and large, knows each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCC6sOlo43M

Here is a pretty impressive clip of Valdivia.

Based purely on reading his wiki bio and watching a few youtube clips, i'd have to say id be 100% on board with giving the guy a shot...

That being said, after reading thru the info it seems to me that he would have to be a DP based on the transfer fees paid for him in the past, as well as his popularity in South America. He is only 30, so he must have gas in the tank still. The footwork in that video I posted was mind boggling... He looks like he could make quite a few MLS defenders look foolish... One might say he would tear this lea-- No, I won't do it...

But seriously, i'm curious if it would be possible to even get him (if we do indeed sign the Brazilian DP + a high caliber Euro DP). Clearly we can't put any stock into rumours of this player just yet, with one tweet from South America linking him to TFC... Maybe he is just one of the "B-Level DP" options that TFC explored before closing in on Gilberto?