0 Thread(s)

Oh Danny Dichio. Danny Dichio. Danny Dichio. Dany Dichio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DigzTFC! View Post
    Oh Danny Dichio. Danny Dichio. Danny Dichio. Dany Dichio
    What's interesting about Dichio is that I know a lot of Italian folks liked him due to his connections with Italy, but he is one of, if not the most "old school English" style players we have had...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Twice! You missed the earlier reference...

WHAT??!!? Since when has TFC been anti-Italian? Or anti-any ethnic group for that matter?
    I do like the way the Italian Newspaper uses the term Race, which they should have used ethnic group.

I know how the Italians and Portugese feel, Leiweke commented at the Supporter's breakfast that they were not going to Iceland to look for players.
    Too bad, but I am not offended, being fairly fond of Icelandic Football. They did finish second in their group of WC qualifiers, a far cry better than Canada.

As I have said before, doesn't matter where the lads come from as long as they do the job required.

Neglecting the Italian Market of Toronto, yes TFC should do a better job with that, but it is just poor journalism to claim Race and anti-Italian. did the journalist say that it was his opinion, I ask.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    As I stated, it's a combination.

By the way they have known each other personally for 8 yrs, as it seems you are baffled by how 2 people could be friends after a mere 3 mths of playing together
    Jesus Christ. What a statement. There is a tone to some of this "discussion" that is unbelievable.

I am not "baffled" by the idea that people could become friends after 3 months.

I am "baffled" by the complete willingness of seemingly absolutely everyone to believe that this is the basis on which Jermaine Defoe would make this decision.

I suppose it could be, but it's not how players make these decisions in general. Nelsen could be gone 10 games in, and Defoe and everyone else involved knows it. Until he's signed and says it himself, it is hardly glaringly obvious. No matter what Nelsen and Leiweke are whispering to the media, and yeah, I'm think it's more likely it is them just as much as Defoe's agent (maybe more so), that is stirring the pot here.

Leiweke will probably restart the Forlan noise machine too, in a couple of weeks. Even though that was Payne's thing.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Not entirely a sound argument. A year later DC sucked, and the 3 goals he scored in 2013 was tied for team lead. Add his two assists, and again, he's tied at 5 for most goalscoring plays.
    Last time I checked we sucked last year too and Brockie was a MLS newbie and adjustments to MLS travel and play is tough.

Brockie 1 goal, 3 assists in a but under 1100 minutes. DeRo had 3 goals, 2 assists in a little over 1600 minutes. I didn't see a ton of DC United matches this season so am not sure what impact DeRo had on matches when he was playing vs injured but since they were ass I would assume not much difference, For us however, when Brockie left our chances at goal went to sheer crap. Say what you want about his finishing but he was better out wide and created a lot of havok by running at defenders and forcing things down low, something DeRo used to be good at when he had the pace.

I say you give Brockie a full season to adjust, which is fair to get used to MLS travel/officiating/madness and he would have far more upside moving forward than DeRo would.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    It is not the race card, it is the true feeling among the Italian community which
    has been building for years. I have been telling you for years that this is the feeling in the Italian community, and you may give a shit or not, but MLSE is failing to attract a very large fan base, probably the largest single group in the region. So when this group does not support TFC in large numbers or perhaps turns to another team do not be surprised.

My feeling is that unless things change soon, TFC will have lost that market for good, and they will either push for another team in the general region or support another MLS team.

This is just the reality, you cannot force a community to think differently then they do.
    It is the race card. It doesn't mean it's true or false but that is what it is when one brings up race. I think it naive if approaching players is seen to be good enough to a community's interest.

translation: If you think that TFC don't actual want this player because he's Italian but think that they are going through the motions to impress you ask yourself "Who would this actual impress?"

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Jesus Christ. What a statement. There is a tone to some of this "discussion" that is unbelievable.

I am "baffled" by the complete willingness of seemingly absolutely everyone to believe that this is the basis on which Jermaine Defoe would make this decision.

I suppose it could be, but it's not how players make these decisions in general. Nelsen could be gone 10 games in, and Defoe and everyone else involved knows it. Until he's signed and says it himself, it is hardly glaringly obvious. No matter what Nelsen and Leiweke are whispering to the media, and yeah, I'm think it's more likely it is them just as much as Defoe's agent (maybe more so), that is stirring the pot here.

Leiweke will probably restart the Forlan noise machine too, in a couple of weeks. Even though that was Payne's thing.

hmmmmm you're back again on a discussion 2 pages ago on which you said "Unless someone knows something, we should probably give that storyline a rest."- maybe take some of your own advice unless you "know something" which in the above post, like the rest of us, you have clearly illustrated you don't

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If AVB got fired Sunday and was hired by TFC, I guarantee Defoe would not be coming. The manager certainly is part of the equation for a player (which I'd suggest is partly why he won't go to West Ham). Not the only thing obviously, but the fact that Nelsen and Defoe get on well helps.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you mea Andrea Lombardo wasn't good enough for the Italian community! the shame!
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    hmmmmm you're back again on a discussion 2 pages ago on which you said "Unless someone knows something, we should probably give that storyline a rest."- maybe take some of your own advice unless you "know something" which in the above post, like the rest of us, you have clearly illustrated you don't
    Well I may not "know" that it doesn't snow after Easter, because it's possible it could, it does every 3 or 4 years ... but I am pretty comfortable saying it's not very likely.

There's a lot of willingness to accept pretty outlier scenarios around here as "valid" or "reasonable".
    Last edited by ensco; 11-29-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outlandish is in the eyes of the beholder.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Outlandish is in the eyes of the beholder.
    Yeah I agree with that. I changed it to "outlier", that captures more what I mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    you mea Andrea Lombardo wasn't good enough for the Italian community! the shame!
    I don't understand the need to bring in a certain player from X to appease x community... This is your local club, support your local club... Just get the right players and get some results, who gives a shit where they are from. Do people honestly believe that TFC is going out of their way to ignore a massive community with in its reach? That's insane... MLSE would rub to pennies together to get a nickle if it could. If people go on to support the Impact because it has more Italians have at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh..the Italians aren't going to support this team until it's full of Italians? What a surprise.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBrace View Post
    I don't understand the need to bring in a certain player from X to appease x community... This is your local club, support your local club... Just get the right players and get some results, who gives a shit where they are from. Do people honestly believe that TFC is going out of their way to ignore a massive community with in its reach? That's insane... MLSE would rub to pennies together to get a nickle if it could. If people go on to support the Impact because it has more Italians have at it.
    Bingo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh great, so now we need to scout players based on nationality rather than quality and what the team needs? Get the F outta here! I'm Danish, and I'm not bitching and moaning about the lack of Danish players on the team. Maybe I should support KC because of Jimmy Nielsen?

If an Italian happens to be a good fit, then sign him. If he's Icelandic, then sign him. But please, PLEASE do not scout based on trying to get a group of people from Toronto to the stadium. That defeats the purpose of the original goal, which was that we're all in this together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know where to find a list of players that will be available in the Re-Entry Draft?

I'm guessing MLS will release an official list some time next week, but is there any place that lists the players we already know will be available?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose it could be, but it's not how players make these decisions in general. Nelsen could be gone 10 games in, and Defoe and everyone else involved knows it. Until he's signed and says it himself, it is hardly glaringly obvious.
    I'll be very surprised if Nelsen is still the coach at the end of the season. Maybe I'm just projecting, but on balance the bar seems to be set very high and he's someone else's hire.

Reminds me a bit of Sam Mitchell with the raptors and now Dwane Casey. Not fooled by the subterfuge of how much everyone likes each other.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three things:

a) TFC wants an Italian, for reasons mentioned already - TL stated as much after the Roma game.

b) That somebody thinks the team is going to become anti-Italian is their issue. RN wants to win, and won't care where a person comes from.

c) Trying to placate ethnic feelings is impossible. Diversity is always messy and nobody "wins" at it, anywhere, ever. All you can do is live with each other.

Can we get back to talking about players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any guesses as to who will be released? That news should be coming shortly. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, the deadline is December 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollins just tweeted that TFC news was incoming. I suspect that it will be who is released.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Rollins just tweeted that TFC news was incoming. I suspect that it will be who is released.
    Ha ha. Good timing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe Cole is once again linked to MLS. He's a free agent come June.

a bit of a stretch here, but he can play on the wing or as an AM. And Doneil Henry is currently training with him.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Any guesses as to who will be released? That news should be coming shortly. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, the deadline is December 1.
    I'd expect: Wiedman, Elmer, Lambe

Maybe: Braun, Welshman, Agboss, Richter

Eckersley to go separately in a buyout.

List isn't actually too long, which is odd. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'd expect: Wiedman, Elmer, Lambe

Maybe: Braun, Welshman, Agboss, Richter

Eckersley to go separately in a buyout.

List isn't actually too long, which is odd. Maybe I'm missing something here.
    I don't think Lambe goes and probably not Agboss. Uncle Elmer for sure.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elmer, Braun and Welshman imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it comes to TFC as related to the GTA's Italian Canadian community it's simply about this, " It has more to do with ignoring the local market. Trane and others believe TFC has done a poor job getting one of biggest soccer supporting communities in GTA/Ontario to support them. " for whatever unknown reason they have failed badly, it's not a race thing, but you can't say race anyways because first of all Italian is not a race, regardless they have never really put any effort in trying to bring an Italian player or players from Italy to TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    Elmer, Braun and Welshman imo.
    I think that would be my guess too. And Eckersley bought out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they will keep the Weedman, imo he does enough to warrant being with club with the role he is given.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they will keep Welshman and look to loan him for the year.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil