Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Post Game: Union 1 - TFC 1

we have 7 ties on the road, but because BMO wasnt the fortress its been in previous years, we didnt convert that into a playoff spot.

discuss? i'll go first:

- harden shit the bed on the goal, but he was still solid.
    - kocic is a beast of a backup.
    - still proud of our youth. no one had a breakout game but im looking forward to next season already.
    - fair reflection with who we played.
    - avila is fucking fanstastic.
    - frings and plata had some playing time and are getting rested.
    - we ship out to dallas tomorrow morning.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally i thought winter made all the right moves.
    i wouldve enjoyed to see plata on for longer what with his youth and the injury not giving him that much playing time. i figured it was just to have him wet his beak, but because of his injury i could see why winter subbed him out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very pleased with the overall result today. I thought Winter made the right call regarding the starting lineup, formation, and substitutes. Our starting lineup should be reasonably healthy, well rested, and confident going into the crucial matchup in Dallas on Tuesday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't believe how we were still controlling the play for good stretches near the end, even had some chances.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I am very pleased with the overall result today. I thought Winter made the right call regarding the starting lineup, formation, and substitutes. Our starting lineup should be reasonably healthy, well rested, and confident going into the crucial matchup in Dallas in Tuesday.
    when im thinking tactical in the next rate winter thread, im thinking this exact point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well played Winter, made the perfect changes. Happy with the result.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Iro had one of his better games today.
    AWAY TRIPS:

March 2008 - Columbus; March 2009 - Kansas City; April 2010 - New England; July 2010 - Philadelphia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I am very pleased with the overall result today. I thought Winter made the right call regarding the starting lineup, formation, and substitutes. Our starting lineup should be reasonably healthy, well rested, and confident going into the crucial matchup in Dallas on Tuesday.
    Very happy with Winter's moves. Resting Kouvermans and JDG...subbing out Frings and Plata, were all key moves looking ahead to FCD. We should be well rested for Tuesday...Can't fucking wait for the most important game in club history

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I blame Kocic not Harden on the goal. Kocic put Harden under pressure with a terrible pass. Iro had a good game from what I saw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapido View Post
    I thought Iro had one of his better games today.
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This match really highlights the improvements made over the last 3-4 months. Especially Winter's maturity as a coach.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They might have won it late, had Zavarise made any attempt to get Avila's attention on that 3 man rush late in the game.
    AWAY TRIPS:

March 2008 - Columbus; March 2009 - Kansas City; April 2010 - New England; July 2010 - Philadelphia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I now have 100% faith in Winter going on from this point forward.

Our team is really shaping up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very respectable result vs an in-form team in front of a hostile crowd.

Usually when we go behind we falter but not today. It was a solid game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    This match really highlights the improvements made over the last 3-4 months. Especially Winter's maturity as a coach.
    Absolutely. It took a while, but the starters and the reserves seem to have grasped their roles in the 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 formations. TFC has undoubtedly been far more composed on the pitch over the last few months.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and the composed play definitely seems to be coming from our youth...THAT in itself is the new mgmt's input.....onward and upward
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I blame Kocic not Harden on the goal. Kocic put Harden under pressure with a terrible pass. Iro had a good game from what I saw.
    Under pressure? check the highlights and you will see that closest player to Harden was some 15 meters away from him,if that is a pressure than we have a serious problem. All Harden had to do is let the ball roll out,Frings dropped back in the penalty box ,instead of challenging the shot.

Goal was scored after 3 individual mistakes,not one.

Other than that,team performed well,Winter rested players,bring on Dallas.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only saw the highlights, but very pleased with Winter's lineup/subs. Handled it perfectly in my opinion.

We're heading into the biggest game of the season in pretty good shape. Of course that doesn't mean much, but should help with the confidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck it this will be a playoff caliber team next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF? I thought the game was at 7:30

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    Fuck it this will be a playoff caliber team next year.
    it is and it isnt. we need ecks and plata signed on.
    the offseason issue is, we're growing but so are the rest of the teams in the league. we need to stay one step ahead of them and thats where our youth comes in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    the offseason issue is, we're growing but so are the rest of the teams in the league. we need to stay one step ahead of them and thats where our youth comes in.
    I just want something to hang onto.

Philly is in the playoffs in year 2. Portland is out but theyll probably be in next season. Seattle is in it every year.

Basically we're by far the worst managed team in the history of MLS. But things are looking up for once. Usually in past seasons we fuck up the end of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep hearing that Frings should have challenged the ball -- his first priority was to prevent breakaway, in his situation shot from outside the box was the best he could get, unfortunately for us that was a hell of a shot, and Kocic did not see the strike itself. After Frings left, we lost a bit of composure, but still a respectable game, the team seems to be jelling, and Iro was a beast. Underwhelmed by Davies, but he had no playing time in a while, and I trust Winter to judge him better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan Johnson was one of the best pick-ups TFC ever made... I think he'll stick around for a few years... great 'MLS' player... we got him for not very much...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    I don't think this is as critical as people are making it out to be. They're both good players but neither is such a quality that we can't find someone similar out there if we do our homework right. I'd compare it to RSL losing Movsisyan and then signing Saborio, but not quite at that level.

Good game, I wasn't expecting anything coming in and to tie on account of some mental errors that lead to the Union's only goal is a bonus. Looks like Winter is betting on the Canadian kids providing depth and that's a welcome changed from the marginal career MLS guys we get for the same price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morgan was a beast again.

I'm surprised Winter didn't move Stinson to RB but what do I know. Decent result.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK I only saw Game in Six, so we rested guys, and I'm glad we didn't get killed....but it seemed like the good chances ran about 7-1 for Philly, and Kocic was huge.

So those are good positives for Tuesday, but as a leading indicator on being competitive in 2012, doesn't seem like it says much.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    I just want something to hang onto.

Philly is in the playoffs in year 2. Portland is out but theyll probably be in next season. Seattle is in it every year.

Basically we're by far the worst managed team in the history of MLS. But things are looking up for once. Usually in past seasons we fuck up the end of the season.
    Proof

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eason_droughts

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    OK I only saw Game in Six, so we rested guys, and I'm glad we didn't get killed....but it seemed like the good chances ran about 7-1 for Philly, and Kocic was huge.

So those are good positives for Tuesday, but as a leading indicator on being competitive in 2012, doesn't seem like it says much.
    I watched the full game, and the highlights just now. The game wasn't nearly as lopsided as the highlights would suggest. TFC had lots of useful possession in Philly's half. They also didn't fall bank & bunker towards the end of the game, as they often have. Stats are fairly even:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter...ronto-fc/stats

Philadelphia was in close a bit more often, so yes Kocic needed to do well. Anyway, I wouldn't see this one game as a "leading indicator" of anything. TFC, already eliminated from play-off contention, with a crucial game 3 days away, rested lots of important players, but still did very well & showed good spirit -- and yes our defence is still weak.

The 2nd half of the season is more of a useful indicator for me -- although the D is still not good enough as mentioned, and the team is still quite inconsistent despite doing better on average.

EDIT: I don't know WTF that link was I posted before, somebody had posted that to Facebook -- must have had it in my clipboard when I meant to post the link to the MLS stats page.... I fixed it now.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 10-15-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^OK thanks. That all makes sense.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff