Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    OK so let the Argos have BMO and build us a new soccer specific stadium at Downsview. Whatever they do I don't want to see American football lines on my field. Watching New England games is painful.

Totally a pipe dream but I like dreaming, so what about building a new new SSS in west don lands waterfront area? And I know that the land south of Bloor and Dundas West already has a plan in place but I always day dreamed about building a stadium there with the TTC and GO links near by.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Totally a pipe dream but I like dreaming, so what about building a new new SSS in west don lands waterfront area? And I know that the land south of Bloor and Dundas West already has a plan in place but I always day dreamed about building a stadium there with the TTC and GO links near by.
    Cant even begin to imagine how horrible traffic would be at Bloor and Dundas. Well severed by the subway but a lot of folks drive

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever they do I don't want to see American football lines on my field. Watching New England games is painful.
    Lines shouldn't be an issue. They played Rugby at BMO 6 days before our last home game, and I don't think most people noticed the line remnants. (There weren't any really, but if you looked closely from pitch level, you could see a very slight variation in the shade of green - but I wouldn't have noticed, if I hadn't been looking for it.).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rugby Canada plays what 2 or 3 matches a year?

Argos play everyweek? I think the field will be in shabbles, and the cost of this will be paid by, SSH?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best thing to do is to let your account rep know your disappointment if it happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO was built relatively cheaply because no one was particularly confident TFC would be as successful as it has been, and as TL suggested MLSE now wants to build something better. Was it a ten year agreement with the city to operate BMO Field? Wouldn't building their own new stadium somewhere else make more sense for MLSE, instead of rebuilding a stadium they don't own?
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Cant even begin to imagine how horrible traffic would be at Bloor and Dundas. Well severed by the subway but a lot of folks drive
    Every time I go past that former Wal-Mart, now barely used flea-market plaza on the south side of Dundas east of the 427, I think it would make a good location for a new stadium if the land was for sale.
    Last edited by Heepster; 09-06-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post

Argos play everyweek? I think the field will be in shabbles, and the cost of this will be paid by, SSH?
    On the road roughly every other week. Including one pre-season game (that could be played elsewhere), we'd be looking at 9 regular season games plus possibly one play-off game for a total of 11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK so let the Argos have BMO and build us a new soccer specific stadium at Downsview. Whatever they do I don't want to see American football lines on my field. Watching New England games is painful.
    We wouldn't have American football lines on our field, we'd have Canadian football lines on our field ... but they'd be washed out and colour corrected to a degree. It's the painted on advertising and the big numbers i'd be more concerned about. Lots of surface area. I doubt they could be made invisible.

Of course, at Foxboro they don't even bother to wash them out.
    Last edited by Blizzard; 09-06-2013 at 11:27 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody comparing rugby lines, league or union, to CFL hasn't seen a CFL game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heepster View Post
    BMO was built relatively cheaply because no one was particularly confident TFC would be as successful as it has been, and as TL suggested MLSE now wants to build something better.
    Yes, there were a lot of questions about how successful MLS would be. Now with most of the teams having built stadiums the league seems to have found its level - at least for a couple of decades when there might be another round of stadium-building.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This whole thing happens every time the Argonitwits need to sign a new lease. I'm hoping that Tim is just saying "ok, let's do the due diligence here and see what it will cost and who's paying for it" so that the retarded price comes back and that will be the end of it. Let's say it's 30Mil to destroy the south end and rebuild it higher and further back with retractable seating that floats on air cushions at the bottom for TFC, it's all possible but the Argos are not going to pay 30Mil, no one is. Once that price comes in it will be the magic deterrent every time the shit comes up about them at BMO. Oh, and that price goes up every year with inflation. Just ask anyone that remembers the "redhill expressway" in Hamilton. Original cost end to end of NS and EW legs, 18Mil. 43 years later the first overpass is actually completed at a cost of....18Mil for 1 overpass. Let's get the paperwork done so we can smack them in the face with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE is not looking into retrofitting BMO for the Argonauts for no good reason all of a sudden after years of resistance. They are preparing an outline for the purchase of the Argonauts. They are looking to do with the Argos what they did with TFC (no, not destroy a franchise), build a team with low cost and make money everywhere else (TV especially). The only thing holding them back is the dimensions on the stadium. Toronto Argonauts have already inquired about using the TFC Training facilities for practice and MLSE has already toured Argonauts facilities recently.

David Braley is looking to unload the Argos because he has no choice. He already owns two CFL franchises, which is a conflict the CFL let slide so the Argos could survive. He can't get a stadium and these lease agreements with Rogers every couple years are killing him. MLSE could purchase the Argos for almost nothing, which is why they are interested. David Cynamon asked 12-15 million for the Argos 3 years ago and WAS LAUGHED AT by potential buyers. It's estimated the Argos sold for less than half of that. If MLSE was to make an offer, CFL would push for the deal. It gives Toronto stability and gets Braley out of owning a quarter of the CFL. Whatever MLSE pays for the Argos will be made up and then some in Stadium naming rights when renewal time comes in just a couple years.

Why do you think Tim Leiweke is all of a sudden justifying the use of BMO by a CFL team? He thinks as long as there's a Diego Forlan, you'll show up anyways.

Why now and not 5 years ago? Bell and Rogers. TSN (Bell) hold on to the CFL TV rights and owning the Argonauts only sweetens the deal. With TFC supplying the facilities, it's money in their pocket. As long as MLSE gets 12,000-14,000 attendance for TFC, they are happy. Argos get ratings, TFC doesn't. It's only a matter of time.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side before self, every time - The one and only Billy Bremner
    Supporting TFC and Leeds United : Never a dull moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excerpt from the article: Argo's CEO Rudge - “I can’t go into details right now. We have reached an agreement with the Rogers people– it’s been a very, very amicable negotiation, like where we’ve arrived with them in terms of the lease we’re about to sign. All the details are done. There are a couple of little things we have to wait out on, in terms of insurance definitions– you know, the sort of boilerplate, technical stuff. But it’s a good lease, and it gives us the assurance of a home for approximately five years, and as we go through that process, we’ll be looking for another place to create a home for the Argonauts. Mr. Braley is in the process of doing that right now– I talk to him regularly on that process, and we’re looking at any number of options that might be an answer to the challenge that we face.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ yep that's the interview I heard that I referenced earlier in this thread. It's a mood point we still got 5 years still they bang the drums again to move again. It's all a ploy to get a sweetheart deal that they always seem to get.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos play everyweek? I think the field will be in shabbles,
    Every week? This year at Rogers, they are there once in June, twice in July, twice in August, once in September, twice in October, once in November. Seems like about once every 3 weeks to me. If the rugby lines were gone in less than 6 days, why would this become an issue.

and the cost of this will be paid by, SSH?
    Cost of what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    ^ yep that's the interview I heard that I referenced earlier in this thread. It's a mood point we still got 5 years still they bang the drums again to move again. It's all a ploy to get a sweetheart deal that they always seem to get.

I read that quote more as: we have a place to rely on for 5 years, but we will look to make a permanent home elsewhere as soon as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So no grass for the Jays if the new Argo deal is true?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not aploy for a better deal.
    I heard rumblings MLSE has had discussions with an organization already about moving the Argos to the CNE grounds after MLSE purchases the double blue .
    Expect some details in the next 60 days is what my sources tell me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It always been a ploy to get a better deal. I still believe there looking at getting something built at Woodbine says my source.

MLSE wants a NFL team they won't risk that by buying a CFL team.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Never understood the 'connection' between MLSE buying the Argos, and possibly gaining an NFL team in the future. Who gives a crap if they manage to resurrect interest in the Argos - it has absolutely no bearing on how this market would support an NFL team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about that. This is a big leauge city. Leafs sellout, marlies struggle.

If the NFL was here a large majority would jump ship to attend that then the CFL. There would still be a good part of them that stay and believe in the Canadian game. But the majority of people would pay attention to the big lights of the NFL.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't know about that. This is a big leauge city. Leafs sellout, marlies struggle.

If the NFL was here a large majority would jump ship to attend that then the CFL. There would still be a good part of them that stay and believe in the Canadian game. But the majority of people would pay attention to the big lights of the NFL.
    That's my point. Let's say MLSE buys the Argos, somehow manages to convince people to attend Argos games, crowds of 35,000 are the norm for a couple of years, Argos win 3 straight Grey Cups. If Toronto ever managed to get a NFL franchise, even after all that, I'd be willing to bet all those 'new' Argos fans would forget them in a New York minute.

But this whole thing about MLSE buying the Argos, somehow turning them around and creating interest, all to show that Toronto is able to support an NFL team? I just don't get it. There's no doubt Toronto could support a NFL team right now. Just there are so many roadblocks to it happening, I don't think even Leiweke the miracle worker could make it happen.
    Last edited by tfcleeds; 09-06-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yes, it's a big league town and an event town sothe's little dount an NFL team would be successful at first. But how long would people here support a losing NFL team?

Of course, there would still need to an individual owner for an NFL team (or at least a front). The NFL doesn't even have a team in the huge market of LA so it's not like they'll make some exception for Toronto to have a corporate owner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True. It's a pipe dream I believe. NFL will never come here. It's there last true American sport.

Either way doesn't matter what the team or leauge is besides the leafs. If you a losing team for 7-8 years there leaving and most likely not come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True. It's a pipe dream I believe. NFL will never come here. It's there last true American sport.

Either way doesn't matter what the team or leauge is besides the leafs. If you a losing team for 7-8 years there leaving and most likely not come back.
    Not so sure about this comment. NFL are already looking at moving a team to London.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marlies have steadily increased their attendance numbers in the last few years. Average att. was 6800 in an 8000 seat arena last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GTA_WOLF View Post
    Marlies have steadily increased their attendance numbers in the last few years. Average att. was 6800 in an 8000 seat arena last year.
    After going to the finals the year before. What was there numbers 3-4 years ago? When any team Jays, Raptors, Marlies, Argos are rebuild there is a small base of fans but the attendance is usually alot lower then usual.

Yes it happens but the leafs have been terrible since the early 2000's and yes completely different they will always sellout. But there is not a big demand for teams that are not contenders. We jump on the wagon when times are good and jump off when times are bad it's shown in attendance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE is crazy if they go ahead with this for a couple of reasons:

He is completely wrong about the impact of the CFL on the field. Wigin in the EPL was bother Football and Rugby and they had the worst pitch in the league. It will negatively effect the product because the pitch will not be in good shape at all.

Secondly, the cost of retrofitting the end stands to make the movable will be very expensive.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have zero knowledge on CFL policies and such, but what if the NFL team MLSE is looking to bring to Toronto IS the Argos? You're taking a team with a 140 year history, pre-existing fanbase and winning culture from the small leagues to the big leagues. Logos would change, rosters would undoubtedly turn over, but everything else [including a possible stadium] would be there. Again, talking out my ass.