Page 90 of 118 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 3511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    On another note, people havn't seemed to notice this part of the deal

I suspect Janson might be going to Columbus. Shaffleberg has really changed this transfer season.

good point!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    One in five isn't great and there's more to his position that just that. Off the bench was all he was good for. That was very well proven. He generally managed next to nothing in most matches. His hold up play is weak, he doesn't move enough to work in our system, and he isn't strong in the air. Go rewatch his goals. Most are opportunistic and generally caused by defender/GK errors or he happened to be standing in the right place at the right time.
    One in five is very misleading. I believe in goals to minutes it was around one in every 2, someone posted it here, which is actually really impressive considering the garbage time minutes he got.

How he scored the goals are irrelevant once he scores them. Some of the best strikers in history only got opportunist goals, there's a real skill to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    I think the Canadian theory is a little weak. He gave Hamilton lots of opportunities, and It ignores Laryea and Fraser lately.
    I think there’s a shred of truth to it, to say the least.

You are looking at the Canadian players in isolation. Comparatively, how many opportunities are given to the Americans when shit goes south? Bono, Zavaleta, now Boyd.. there’s lots of examples of us continuing to stick with these guys through struggles, probably to the point where it’s to our detriment. Osorio goes through a rough spell in 2016-17 and they start to cut back his time and he has to battle back. Delgado has been on a never ending slump and he’s first name on the team sheet every week.

I’ve seen this too often to call it coincidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think there’s a shred of truth to it, to say the least.

You are looking at the Canadian players in isolation. Comparatively, how many opportunities are given to the Americans when shit goes south? Bono, Zavaleta, now Boyd.. there’s lots of examples of us continuing to stick with these guys through struggles, probably to the point where it’s to our detriment. Osorio goes through a rough spell in 2016-17 and they start to cut back his time and he has to battle back. Delgado has been on a never ending slump and he’s first name on the team sheet every week.

I’ve seen this too often to call it coincidence.
    ...couple this with not identifying someone like Kaye as potential for the first team, and you can't help but think there might be some truth to this. Now, I think possibly they see some good young players in the pipeline they would rather give minutes to in the next few years rather than give JHams more minutes or sign as a supersub career backup when i guess maybe a veteran non-starter can be had for cheaper, and you don't have to worry about distribution of opportunities, or maybe your style has changed so drastically, that you just need something different.

I dunno; trying to see the value-add of this, but, yeah, I dunno if i like this either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One in five isn't great and there's more to his position that just that. Off the bench was all he was good for. That was very well proven. He generally managed next to nothing in most matches. His hold up play is weak, he doesn't move enough to work in our system, and he isn't strong in the air. Go rewatch his goals. Most are opportunistic and generally caused by defender/GK errors or he happened to be standing in the right place at the right time.
    Off the bench is actually very important though. I don’t think he’s a starting striker in MLS but we never asked him to replace Jozy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Off the bench is actually very important though. I don’t think he’s a starting striker in MLS but we never asked him to replace Jozy.
    Issue is that with Jozy being Jozy, you need one solid, reliable option off the bench to start at least 10 matches a season and we don't have one. None of them are at that level. Is this Mullins? Probably not but it's a dice roll since Hamilton wasn't up to it.

If it were me I would keep Jozy & Akinola and that's it. Start over.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I just go back to the Gallardo signing for a second? Something about that bugs me.

We heard all this stuff about how much diligence they were doing on players, and that is why it was taking so long, because of how careful they are being... I will bet anyone a pint that they didn’t know who this guy is until very recently. Curtis admitted as much.

Doesn’t mean it won’t work out. But I just hate being handled like a child getting a story at bedtime...
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re Canadian player development, no point blaming TFC if they discriminate against Canadians, it's 100% an MLS problem. Welcome to the number one argument for the CPL.

Until Canadians become interchangeable with Americans on the rosters of US MLS teams, they don’t have the same value in MLS , and a Ben Spencer will get minutes over a Jordan Hamilton every time.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Can I just go back to the Gallardo signing for a second? Something about that bugs me.

We heard all this stuff about how much diligence they were doing on players, and that is why it was taking so long, because of how careful they are being... I will bet anyone a pint that they didn’t know who this guy is until very recently. Curtis admitted as much.

Doesn’t mean it won’t work out. But I just hate being handled like a child getting a story at bedtime...
    Curtis said Gallardo was on the radar for 6 months.

I'm more wondering about that story Shaffleberg created such an impression that the team pivoted in the last 10 days from one TAM player to another. I suspect Vanney won an arguement there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Curtis said Gallardo was on the radar for 6 months.

I'm more wondering about that story Shaffleberg created such an impression that the team pivoted in the last 10 days from one TAM player to another. I suspect Vanney won an arguement there.
    I am not sure its a good decision to alter the potential TAM signing based on 2-3 games. Time will tell, I think it really came down to money as Gallardo wouldn’t cost probably half of the fee to acquire Janson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Only part of his salary
    the balance/ diff from hamiltons , correct

still seems like bad trade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re Canadian player development, no point blaming TFC if they discriminate against Canadians, it's 100% an MLS problem. Welcome to the number one argument for the CPL.

Until Canadians become interchangeable with Americans on the rosters of US MLS teams, they don’t have the same value in MLS , and a Ben Spencer will get minutes over a Jordan Hamilton every time.
    How dare you besmirch the name of our almighty lord and saviour, Ben “Big Ben” Spencer.

BBS: 256 minutes, 2 assists, 1 “Best Couchsurfer 2009” award
    TB: 345 minutes, 1 yellow card, 6 “Vanney Cups” for participatory prowess at the Kia Training Ground

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ensco, I am not sure I entirely agree. Someone earlier pointed out if you were going to develop Hamilton or Akinola, who is your. choice. Based on everything we have seen, I would choose Akinola. It gives Hamilton an opportunity, hopefully he takes it and shines, and then good for Hamilton and good for Canada. I wish him well and hopefully Mullins can deliver the occasional veteran back-up and we say good bye to Boyd.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    the balance/ diff from hamiltons , correct

still seems like bad trade
    To mean it seems like a nothing trade. We do need to cut a chunk of the 2017 players and the first to go should be guys with poor training habits and that was him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To mean it seems like a nothing trade. We do need to cut a chunk of the 2017 players and the first to go should be guys with poor training habits and that was him.
    I agree it’s a nothing trade or at best sideways. Which makes we wonder why bother. Mullins has bounced around a bit though which makes you wonder about him attitude-wise.
    Last edited by Canary10; 07-11-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I am not sure its a good decision to alter the potential TAM signing based on 2-3 games. Time will tell, I think it really came down to money as Gallardo wouldn’t cost probably half of the fee to acquire Janson.
    That's my take. A few million on an Argie or 500k-1M on Gallardo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Maybe it was just a gut feeling?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never bought the party line for half a second on the delay with signings.

Clearly, back in the last window, they couldn’t close on the players they wanted or had cap issues. Everything was further delayed by the Seba transfer saga and the club not anticipating what could happen given the contract dynamics involved.

In this window, perhaps to their credit, they saw What Shaffelburg was capable of and decided to run with him on the left and turned their focus to the right.

Let’s hope we are more proactive going forward.World football doesn’t start and stop at this club’s convenience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I wonder if anyone has been keeping track of the numbers. Maybe they blew too much TAM on other players like OG and didn’t have enough left for the Janson or Jony signings, especially if those clubs wanted a TFC tax.

Either that or Schadenfreude is a good enough stopgap in their eyes that we toss this season and see what we can bring in next year. Maybe they’re waiting for the VdW stuff to come off the books too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    I wonder if anyone has been keeping track of the numbers. Maybe they blew too much TAM on other players like OG and didn’t have enough left for the Janson or Jony signings, especially if those clubs wanted a TFC tax.

Either that or Schadenfreude is a good enough stopgap in their eyes that we toss this season and see what we can bring in next year. Maybe they’re waiting for the VdW stuff to come off the books too.
    On coyr podcast they said tigre wanted to much money for Janson. Im fine with gallardo as long as they bring in another attacker.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rumours floating out there now are there will be another signing. Part of this is Curtis' the other day saying they are still in the market if not this time then the next window.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In this window, perhaps to their credit, they saw What Shaffelburg was capable of and decided to run with him on the left and turned their focus to the right.

Let’s hope we are more proactive going forward.World football doesn’t start and stop at this club’s convenience.
    World football is filled with stories of players who surprise with their quality, or fail to meet their expectations. Wise clubs adjust.

The delays are likely due to Curtis feeling he could get the other parties to move in negotiations (dates, timing, transfer fees, residual rights, etc.) and them not moving, or not moving in time. Whether that is due to obstinacy on the other part, the difficulties in structuring deals to meet MLS rules, interference by MLS FO, or ineptitude on Curtis' part, or a combination of the above is unclear.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question re: the Hamilton trade (sorry if this is treading old ground that was covered here). We don't know that full motivations of Bez and Ali, but it seems to be an odd trade with near like-for-like bench players (age and productivity notwithstanding). Was Hamilton only traded so Bez could pick up an international player, hence he's keeping half of Mullins' salary? It seems like a bit of an odd deal.

Perhaps Ali tried to give him Boyd, but Boyd's salary was too large for this deal.

I assume Boyd's not going to get much playing time if Jozy is healthy and Mullins and Ayo are the primary back ups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How dare you besmirch the name of our almighty lord and saviour, Ben “Big Ben” Spencer.

BBS: 256 minutes, 2 assists, 1 “Best Couchsurfer 2009” award
    TB: 345 minutes, 1 yellow card, 6 “Vanney Cups” for participatory prowess at the Kia Training Ground
    I think you misspelled Ben 'Moves like Molasses' Spencer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think with Shaff man they are giving him some rope to see how much he improves.

At current trajectory he definitely has a spot on the team. Only question is whether that’s as a starter or as a super sub?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    Question re: the Hamilton trade (sorry if this is treading old ground that was covered here). We don't know that full motivations of Bez and Ali, but it seems to be an odd trade with near like-for-like bench players (age and productivity notwithstanding). Was Hamilton only traded so Bez could pick up an international player, hence he's keeping half of Mullins' salary? It seems like a bit of an odd deal.
    The real question is why Columbus of all places would want Hamilton? Does Bez think that a change of scenery will make him more motivated?

It's a low value-low risk trade regardless. As much as we like the hometown guy he hasn't been a critical part of the club's future, and he himself talked about how he learned a lesson (from not being renewed at first) that he shouldn't take getting to be a professional player for granted. If he's gone back to his old ways and been slacking off I could easily see why Vanney would want to dump him. He only has room for those who give 100%.

Mullins may be a bit of a flyer, again low-risk. He did impress in college, maybe our team can bring him back to being productive again. Or maybe he's not cut out to be a professional. I guess we'll see.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-11-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The real question is why Columbus of all places would want Hamilton? .
    I am coming to the conclusion that this trade is more about whomever that right of first refusal player is & the rest was just about asset management.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think with Shaff man they are giving him some rope to see how much he improves.

At current trajectory he definitely has a spot on the team. Only question is whether that’s as a starter or as a super sub?
    Yeah, that seems about right. He’s performed well, and Vanney switching over to a “strikerless” formation showed the amount of trust he had in our backup strikers.

If he does well, find someone to compete in the role next season — if he doesn’t, you can always find someone to replace him and have him play backup I guess. Very low risk.

As for the RoFR thing, it would have to be someone TFC had previously made a bona fide offer for from the way I understand MLS rules... Since Bez is in charge, it’s probably Janson?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the REAL question from all this ... does Gallardo switch from No. 9 to his old No. 7 after 48 hours? Could be a record for a number switch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    So the REAL question from all this ... does Gallardo switch from No. 9 to his old No. 7 after 48 hours? Could be a record for a number switch.
    Who did it better?

vs.