Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Southsiders board seems pretty split on their opinion of the move - some don't like it, some don't like it but understand it had to happen, and others think it's great.

Hassli was buried on Vancouver's depth chart, and we needed a striker. The trade makes sense. I think the combination of trading an international spot with trading away a draft pick that can be used to get domestic talent, could come back to haunt us, however.

As for Hassli - fingers crossed that a change of scenery gets him scoring again, because he was obscenely streaky in Vancouver, at best.

- Scott
    I'm not sure how it works exactly but the trade details say Vancouver get the international spot from us only through 2013. Does that mean we get it back for 2014?

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    What doesnt make sense here is TFC giving up the right to draft a "domestic" player in the draft. Domestic players can be either Canadian or American and if we're not producing enough players through the academy than it only makes sense to pick them up through the draft.

Vancouver have essentially given up a player that is at best worth 2 more years in football and are probably going to pick up a replacement for John Thorrington in the draft. Essentially building their roster with some of the better talent pool available in the draft.

This move is sadly reminiscent of the Nick Garcia trade.
    The draft pick is in 2014, so it is (hopefully) less likely to be a top pick than if it was in 2013. The pick may or may not be high enough to draft a quality player that will evolve into a MLS starter. TFC's performance next season will determine the true value of Vancouver's return in this deal.

As for drawing an anology between acquiring Nick Garcia and Eric Hassli, I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but Hassli is younger than Garcia was when Mo acquired him, and I think it's safe to say that Hassli has a much higher ceiling as a player in his respective role.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Nope. I totally agree with you. Stack the two up and you can see that an acquisition through the Superdraft is much more riskier than one brought up through the Academy.
    Not sure I'd agree with you on that front.

A lot of big names have come through that Superdraft like Brek Shea, Will Bruin, Teal Bunbury, Chris Pontius and others. Notable TFC selections have included Luis Silva (2012), Sam Cronin (2009), Stefan Frei (2009) and Maurice Edu (2007).

Interestingly, like the Leafs, TFC will have only drafted in the first round twice in the 5 drafts (2010-2014). We traded a pick for Adrian Serioux, 1 for Nathan Sturgis and now this one for Hassli.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Seriously? You think acquiring a player of Hassli's calibre is a joke?

He's one of the premier target men and great finishers in MLS. He has had issues with his consistency and his temperament on the pitch, but this move is far from a last resort. In fact, my guess is that he would have been one of the first choices as a replacement for Koevs among most TFC supporters.

To each his own I guess.
    That`s the part that troubles me.

He`s gone a bit off the boil lately.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    ""Adding a player of Eric's ability gives an immediate improvement to our club," said Mariner"

ugh, he's injured ... such an MLSE thing to do, trading for injured players - lmao

we can only hope they did their medical due diligence on hassli's injury, cause the injury was only few days ago, not seeing immediate improvement as mariner says but hopefully not september

get well soon eric!
    Steve Pandher from CSN wrote that Hassli was trainin on the side today and the injury isn't as bad as first thought, you can read it on the comments of the McColl article about the trade

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Southsiders board seems pretty split on their opinion of the move - some don't like it, some don't like it but understand it had to happen, and others think it's great.

Hassli was buried on Vancouver's depth chart, and we needed a striker. The trade makes sense. I think the combination of trading an international spot with trading away a draft pick that can be used to get domestic talent, could come back to haunt us, however.

As for Hassli - fingers crossed that a change of scenery gets him scoring again, because he was obscenely streaky in Vancouver, at best.

- Scott
    I think this is the case where this new system of Mariner's is better suited to him.

Mark Weber of "The Province" wrote this a few weeks ago:

Rennie's 4-3-3 system, which defensively looks more like 4-5-1, demands plenty of running up top, and Hassli covers far less ground than Sebastien Le Toux or Mattocks. That's part of the reason why Hassli's seen so few starts

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wh...#ixzz21DohCKJ4

Giving up a 1st round pick is huge considering this is TFC's only real window into the young talent pool in the USA. It would be a huge price to potentially pay if Hassli becomes a "rental" in a season with little to no hope.

If Hassli ends up staying for just the 14 remaining MLS games and we get beat out of CCL Group Stages, this might be a move that comes back to haunt them. That said, I didn't like when we had to line up against him so if we are going for hoof ball, he is a pretty intimidating guy to hoof it to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
    Steve Pandher from CSN wrote that Hassli was trainin on the side today and the injury isn't as bad as first thought, you can read it on the comments of the McColl article about the trade
    encouraging news that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    That`s the part that troubles me.

He`s gone a bit off the boil lately.
    True, but word is that he wasn't seeing eye to eye with Rennie, his role had diminished considerably, and he was outwardly upset with some of the latest roster moves that saw the likes of Chiumento and Le Toux jettisoned out of town.

I think he will be reinvigorated playing in the only city that matters in this country.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I think this is the case where this new system of Mariner's is better suited to him.

Mark Weber of "The Province" wrote this a few weeks ago:

Rennie's 4-3-3 system, which defensively looks more like 4-5-1, demands plenty of running up top, and Hassli covers far less ground than Sebastien Le Toux or Mattocks. That's part of the reason why Hassli's seen so few starts

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wh...#ixzz21DohCKJ4

Giving up a 1st round pick is huge considering this is TFC's only real window into the young talent pool in the USA. It would be a huge price to potentially pay if Hassli becomes a "rental" in a season with little to no hope.

If Hassli ends up staying for just the 14 remaining MLS games and we get beat out of CCL Group Stages, this might be a move that comes back to haunt them. That said, I didn't like when we had to line up against him so if we are going for hoof ball, he is a pretty intimidating guy to hoof it to.
    I think by 2014 the pick will be further down the board than it would be after 2012 and by 2014 I think the Academy should be pumping out more MLS ready products than the NCAA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post

I think he will be reinvigorated playing in the only city that matters in this country.
    I very much like this quote.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think by 2014 the pick will be further down the board than it would be after 2012 and by 2014 I think the Academy should be pumping out more MLS ready products than the NCAA.
    I like your optimism. I think you need to take a look at what is really going on at the Academy but I like your optimism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a good move if he can stay healthy

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    ...no, there are far better CBs out there that I would put my money into. I wouldn't sign a guy just because he is Canadian.
    Mpg course there is but would they want to play here, can we afford them, and I said nothing about signing a guy just cause he's Canadian, that's just an added bonus, but as of right now it seems the more likley chance

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good move for remainder of season? Or through 2013?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have we set another MLS record by having 4 DP's (with another possibly to come) during one season?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Star article tonight indicated Mariner believes our back 4 is fine and just needs some subs - i.e. we won't be getting a CD DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    We gave up too much - I hate giving up a 1st round pick in 2014.
    Give me a break. We're going to win the MLS Cup in 2014 and the 1st round pick will be worth nothing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I like your optimism. I think you need to take a look at what is really going on at the Academy but I like your optimism.
    I think you may need to take a look at what's coming out of the NCAA and compare it to what you can get at no cap hit from your own academy.

Also Hassli was training with the squad (Van) the past few days. He'll be back soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think his skills is class, but not his attitude, i use to hate him everytime he comes to Toronto, but now, let see what he can give us!!! Excited to see him on the pitch, hope he will heal up soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you may need to take a look at what's coming out of the NCAA and compare it to what you can get at no cap hit from your own academy.

Also Hassli was training with the squad (Van) the past few days. He'll be back soon.
    NCAA players under GA contracts have no cap hit as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did we also give up the rights to Jacob Lensky in the deal with Vancouver?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did you read that: Mariner does not say that he is not looking for a top class centre back

Here's the two articles

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...uver-whitecaps

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...ronto-fc-match

Please tell us where he says that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you may need to take a look at what's coming out of the NCAA and compare it to what you can get at no cap hit from your own academy..
    Our academy has produced one good young MLS player so far. The NCAA has produced exponentially more.

I'm with Pookie on this one - I like your optimism, but there's no indication yet, that our academy is somehow ready to shoulder the load to the point where we can throw away draft picks.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but we just picked up one of them for JDG and all I've read all week is how much of a piece of shit he is, so what does that tell you about Gen Adidas?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Was just going to say that. Further, as in promising players like Kevan Aleman, getting them to sign with TFC is and will be a challenge.

It's a US league. 3 Canadians, 8 Internationals and 19 roster spots that can be made up of US or Canadian players. Like it or not, you have to get your Yankees somewhere. Considering some of the recent names to come out of 1st round of the MLS Superdraft in the last three drafts (eg. Omar Gonzales, Chris Pontius, Sam Cronin, Stefan Frei, Teal Bunbury) it is absolutely silly to ignore it.

Again, Hassli can likely excel in Mariner's system. If he stays through 2013 and we can get in the playoffs, it will be great. If we've sacrificed a future draft pick in exchange for an aging veteran that will produce no results... welcome to Leaf Nation.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

did we also give up the rights to Jacob Lensky in the deal with Vancouver?
    According to Duane Rollins on twitter we did

Duane Rollins@24thminute
    Correction on the Jacob Lensky rumour: Now hearing that #TFCtraded his rights *TO* #WhitecapsFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NCAA may have been around a bit longer than our academy. I think we rushed out some of our players. Henry is ready, Lindsay was, Stinson is there and the rest are close at best but still, it's less of a crap shoot as you've seen what the players can do, in a system you design, in full CSL seasons. And for the NCAA, didn't we take the can't miss O'Brien White early in the first round? Not exactly all gold is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but we just picked up one of them for JDG and all I've read all week is how much of a piece of shit he is, so what does that tell you about Gen Adidas?
    some other GA/Nike players:
    Tim Howard, Landon Donovan, Josh Wolff, DaMarcus Beasley, Maurice Edu, Yura Movsisyan, Carlos Bocanegra, Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, Ben Olsen, Bobby Convey, Bakary Soumare, Sacha Kljestan, Michael Parkhurst, Danny Califf, Freddy Adu, Davide Somma, Danny Mwanga, Brad Guzan and Michael Bradley.

I think those guys did well in the league and abroad. Some of the recent GA players - Frei, Alston, Gonzalez, Bunbury, Bruin, Maddocks, Wenger, Rowe - all have which have been an impact on their respective teams.

Not saying that all NCAA players pan out, but for now NCAA is still a better option, until our academy develops, which will take a few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing about academy players, do they want to sign for TFC or rather go to college in the US? I know one academy product that got offered a contract from TFC , but decided to go to Akron instead.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one of my favour players in MLS is Hassli. I like his playing style... play with HEART.... Out of all FWs in TFC history, I only think Dichio and Koevermans are the only 2 FWs that play with heart and give out 120% every game. I honestly think this Hassli will bring TFC into playoff this year. we are only 12 pts behind which we still have half of the season to catch up. We are good enough in the backline as long as no injury.