Page 33 of 215 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    All the people I know from my local pubs are all UK born and raised and none of them follow or give a shit about TFC or MLS because they regard it as conference level at best. Some even say that kids leagues in Europe have better footballers. That, more than anything else, is the real reason most of the football supporters from various Euro ethnicities don't follow TFC. Because the game here is obviously at a lower standard than what they can watch from back home on TV makes MLS worthless to them. And we're not taking TFC either. I watched the SKC Vs Houston match last week with them and all they could do was compare both squads to youth teams in Scotland. It's ignorant for sure but it's that Euro arrogance that fuels most of these people's apathy towards our league regardless of the style of play or success of whatever team.

sounds like they are taking the piss out of you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Hey now, leave Greek Jesus out of this.
    Or bring him here!

(couldn't let Georgios' name come up without throwing that in... always thought he'd do well here!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    sounds like they are taking the piss out of you.
    Sometimes yes but they legitimately regard players like Donovan, Dempsey, or Zusi as total shite. I've been hearing that sort of crap for years. Even the Henrys and Keanes get the whole washed up and not good enough for a real league comments. It's a Euro arrogance thing. They do the same when the J-League, Liga MX, or the Argie/Brazillian leagues come up for instance. All inferior because they aren't European. I know lotsa folks like that. Mostly both types of Irish, English, and Scottish but also a Spaniard, a Greek, and an Italian. The only level headed European sorts I know who follow football are a German and a Ukranian. At least they appreciate this league for what it is and don't compare it to their domestic leagues although the Ukranian's favorite league is the Tippeligaen so that's not that much of a higher standard than MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes yes but they legitimately regard players like Donovan, Dempsey, or Zusi as total shite. I've been hearing that sort of crap for years. Even the Henrys and Keanes get the whole washed up and not good enough for a real league comments. It's a Euro arrogance thing. They do the same when the J-League, Liga MX, or the Argie/Brazillian leagues come up for instance. All inferior because they aren't European. I know lotsa folks like that. Mostly both types of Irish, English, and Scottish but also a Spaniard, a Greek, and an Italian. The only level headed European sorts I know who follow football are a German and a Ukranian. At least they appreciate this league for what it is and don't compare it to their domestic leagues although the Ukranian's favorite league is the Tippeligaen so that's not that much of a higher standard than MLS.
    Yeah that perception is there; it's kind of retarded given how few British clubs compete in Europe at the highest level, or could, and given the massive dropoff in quality between the top of La Liga and the bottom of the Segunda;

I would say most don't see Donovan as shite because of his time at Everton, which was successful. But the innate bias exists because of the underlying fear that this "staple" of their cultural identity is now internationalized and therefore, in some measure, taken away from them culturally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    The reason why Aaron Winter had our team doing basic training when he arrived is because things like positioning, vision and putting the right weight on a pass are absent from the game over here.
    This is no longer true.

Some teams, as others have stated, have adopted 4-3-3- based pass-and-move -- portland, Real Salt Lake, Dallas -- these teams aren't hoofing anything around and all three of them would do well if given enough of a budget to last a championship season (right now MLS' biggest limitation is depth). Guys like Valeri and Javier Morales aren't pikers; these guys did time at top Argentine Div 1 clubs before MLS.

HOWEVER, as you state, there are clubs that look like league one calibre; and that's because for years the league WAS just hoof-and-chase. IN places where that culture has continued --sometimes due to success (see: Yallop, Frank) with limited resources, but usually just due to limited corporate vision -- teams still look like lower level clubs.

But the league is rapidly moving away from that; that's part of the frustration some of us have with the current TFC approach. It's English League One circa 1987.
    I disagree, however, with any assertion that this is done to "kowtow" to any particular ethnic group. That's ridiculous; most English fans I know and talk to on line wish THEIR club wouldn't play this way.

But it's a common fallback tactic for poorly built teams; and thanks to the combination of the cap and corporate non-soccer ownership, this league still has some of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the people I know from my local pubs are all UK born and raised and none of them follow or give a shit about TFC or MLS because they regard it as conference level at best. Some even say that kids leagues in Europe have better footballers. That, more than anything else, is the real reason most of the football supporters from various Euro ethnicities don't follow TFC. Because the game here is obviously at a lower standard than what they can watch from back home on TV makes MLS worthless to them. And we're not taking TFC either. I watched the SKC Vs Houston match last week with them and all they could do was compare both squads to youth teams in Scotland. It's ignorant for sure but it's that Euro arrogance that fuels most of these people's apathy towards our league regardless of the style of play or success of whatever team.
    thats when you call them out for being too old to enjoy the game.

We have more in common with those lowly conference supporters than those pricks at the bar.
    Last edited by Marc"2L"; 11-16-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Rage grammar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post

We have more in common with those lowly conference supporters then those pricks at the bar.
    You are right about them being old for the most part. The biggest mouth ones are 50+ but the rest are still 35+ and all born elsewhere. I always tell the main ones that at least I support a team from my own country and not one from Scotland seeing they're all Northern Irish. In their cases the only Euro leagues they think are shit are the two Irish ones so that says a lot.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jasondevos: (1/2) Just got the following message in an email from an MLSE ticket sales rep….

@jasondevos: (2/2) “TORONTO FC SOCCER – huge designated big name player announcements expected very soon.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe devos got the word frim dichio they wirked on the air together today...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    @jasondevos: (1/2) Just got the following message in an email from an MLSE ticket sales rep….

@jasondevos: (2/2) “TORONTO FC SOCCER – huge designated big name player announcements expected very soon.”
    This is the kind of stuff I hoped we'd be past by now. Sigh.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post

We have more in common with those lowly conference supporters then those pricks at the bar.
    As a supporter of the mighty but struggling Barrrow AFC, I'm agree.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We could use some good news around here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    We could use some good news around here.
    But why do I feel like it might just be a sales rep going by Leweike's promises that we'll see the new players soon .... I have become very cynical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel we are probably a week or 2 away from an announcement of a signing... just a hunch

*** also i very much doubt that DaVos has ever bought tickets to TFC... so why is a ticket rep contacting him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    I feel we are probably a week or 2 away from an announcement of a signing... just a hunch

*** also i very much doubt that DaVos has ever bought tickets to TFC... so why is a ticket rep contacting him?
    Seems like he has bought tickets for one of MLSE properties as he said it was for some sort of Leafs/Marlies/Raptors/TFC cross promtion
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 11-15-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    This is the kind of stuff I hoped we'd be past by now. Sigh.
    It's the wording that bugs me the most, it's just......

somebody got paid for this?

Dont know why, but the leafs losing tonight is making me bring on the hate for Leiweke, as irrational as that is. I just get the sense that absolutely nothing, nothing has changed.

Cant get the players they want, can't shut up about the players they want.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how dare you change the topic from journalistic credibility or ethnic soccer superiority back to ?...what was it again?...off season player moves or rumours.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This is no longer true.

Some teams, as others have stated, have adopted 4-3-3- based pass-and-move -- portland, Real Salt Lake, Dallas -- these teams aren't hoofing anything around and all three of them would do well if given enough of a budget to last a championship season (right now MLS' biggest limitation is depth). Guys like Valeri and Javier Morales aren't pikers; these guys did time at top Argentine Div 1 clubs before MLS.

HOWEVER, as you state, there are clubs that look like league one calibre; and that's because for years the league WAS just hoof-and-chase. IN places where that culture has continued --sometimes due to success (see: Yallop, Frank) with limited resources, but usually just due to limited corporate vision -- teams still look like lower level clubs.

But the league is rapidly moving away from that; that's part of the frustration some of us have with the current TFC approach. It's English League One circa 1987.
    I disagree, however, with any assertion that this is done to "kowtow" to any particular ethnic group. That's ridiculous; most English fans I know and talk to on line wish THEIR club wouldn't play this way.

But it's a common fallback tactic for poorly built teams; and thanks to the combination of the cap and corporate non-soccer ownership, this league still has some of it.
    That's a totally fair argument but then it leaves me asking another question.

If it's not to kowtow to a particular market, then what is the reason for choosing the mentality and vision that TFC seems to favour?

Can it really be ineptitude on the part of the people in charge there? And if so, what makes them inept? (I'm talking about everyone responsible for both the on and off field product)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    nd if so, what makes them inept? (I'm talking about everyone responsible for both the on and off field product)
    The on-field ineptitude is a product of the off-field ineptitude.

And it in turn is a product of a corporate environment, where relationships and mutually self-interested survival are considered more important than progress and quality. It's a common byproduct of socio-economic environments -- particularly oligopolies -- where a relatively captive audience for the product in terms of options guarantees a certain healthy return without any risk taking or the need for a concerted and focused work ethic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The on-field ineptitude is a product of the off-field ineptitude.

And it in turn is a product of a corporate environment, where relationships and mutually self-interested survival are considered more important than progress and quality. It's a common byproduct of socio-economic environments -- particularly oligopolies -- where a relatively captive audience for the product in terms of options guarantees a certain healthy return without any risk taking or the need for a concerted and focused work ethic.
    Round 34 coming up.....

Taking bets on what the last post of the next page will be speaking about, players is even money.

But seriously, it has been slow these last two days. Bummer.
    Last edited by Marc"2L"; 11-16-2013 at 04:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calm before the storm. Again. Again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'm not sure about this. Other than having an Italian-Canadian (and Saputo is more like, Italian-Quebecois) owner, couple of Italian players, does IMFC really say 'Italian calcio' to you guys?

Why is Saputo Italia Quebecois?? Anyway it is also style of play, the coaches they bring in ( again they do not have to be Italian but play more of an Italian brand), and they have always had ties to Italian football.

Jack, is partially right, if TFC had a winner it may have be different.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not surprised really. I initially thought Lieweke said we'd have to "reserve" our current SSH packages in October and then pay in January. With nothing but the same shit news I understand them waiting for something good to get us to stay on board but October is way back in rear view mirror and January is coming fast. I don't think they can afford to do the off season dance much longer and that means they've probably overpaid large on whoever is coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I often get the impression that none of you have watched the English Championship and just assume that "one level below the prem" is about MLS standard. It's not. The top half of the Championship would destroy any team in this league while the TFC and Chivas level teams would still struggle against the Oldham's and Bradford's of league one.

And it all comes down to fundamentals. The reason why Aaron Winter had our team doing basic training when he arrived is because things like positioning, vision and putting the right weight on a pass are absent from the game over here.
    This is what is depressing, this was an issue in year one, and is still an issue. The MLS has improved, but somehow it has done so on a weak foundation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not surprised really. I initially thought Lieweke said we'd have to "reserve" our current SSH packages in October and then pay in January. With nothing but the same shit news I understand them waiting for something good to get us to stay on board but October is way back in rear view mirror and January is coming fast. I don't think they can afford to do the off season dance much longer and that means they've probably overpaid large on whoever is coming.
    On a global stage, TFC is still but a minnow, regardless of our track record as a franchise. We will have to overpay any prospective marquee DPs under any circumstances for the foreseeable future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that perception is there; it's kind of retarded given how few British clubs compete in Europe at the highest level, or could, and given the massive dropoff in quality between the top of La Liga and the bottom of the Segunda;

I would say most don't see Donovan as shite because of his time at Everton, which was successful. But the innate bias exists because of the underlying fear that this "staple" of their cultural identity is now internationalized and therefore, in some measure, taken away from them culturally.
    Donovan did relatively well at Everton, but it should be understood that he was used, as a hard working "speedy" winger, not a striker or an AM. He is THE guy in LA and one of THE guys in the USA National team, he was just one of the guys at Everton. Which tells you were the MLS top not DP players fit in the EPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring back Bob DeKlerk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    This is what is depressing, this was an issue in year one, and is still an issue. The MLS has improved, but somehow it has done so on a weak foundation.
    It's intesting that soccer is so different from every other sport in the US - why does soccer in the US have this weak foundation and everything else - baseball, football, basketball, hockey, even track and field and downhill skiing and golf have such solid fundamentals?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    It's intesting that soccer is so different from every other sport in the US - why does soccer in the US have this weak foundation and everything else - baseball, football, basketball, hockey, even track and field and downhill skiing and golf have such solid fundamentals?
    There is little to no coaching tradition for soccer in the US and Canada at the youth level. The major US sports have massive coaching traditions with an emphasis on fundamentals.

I would say skiing, golf and track and field only need 4 decent people every 4 years to be successful at growing players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did we sign anybody yet? oh sorry I must be on the wrong thread,and before I get it...I was a member in the past and be a member again,