Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default This team can be serious contenders with a quality STRIKER!

Let me correct that statement. This team can be a serious contender with even an average striker. Problem is we don't even have an average striker.

This team is solid in net, decent at defence (getting stronger with each game), amazing midfileders who can control the game and create chances and advance the ball. Unfortunately then you get to our strikers which is well below par.

I mean I like Dichio but it's time to move beyond him. He looks like a turtle out there and just can't keep up. It's time for him to consider hanging up the boots. Perhaps move him into an assistant coach role (next year), but this team isn't going anywhere with him.

Today we were playing the top team in the league and we controlled the game but our strikers (Dichio and Cunningham) can't finish off plays. Dichio is to slow and Cunningham although he has speed he has no finesse and no shot.

We could have asily won the game and if managament gets a quality or even average striker than this team will be one of the most feared teams in the league. As it stands now they will just be an average team which will end up tieing alot of games because they simply can't score.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are looking.

Still, Carver said he is looking for improvement from his front-runners.
    "I've been banging this drum from the start of the season. We need to improve in certain areas and I still haven't stopped looking. As you all know I was home for a week and I did a lot of work to try and find somebody in that area," Carver said. "The guys who are doing the job for us at the moment are doing a good job but we need better and I think we all know that. It's going to take time. I haven't stopped working on it and neither has (technical director) Mo (Johnston)."
    http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/te....jsp&team=t280

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree 100%. Even an above average striker would do. We don’t need a 20 goal scorer, it would be nice, with the way the team is set up we could do much damage with a 10-15 goal scorer.

The problem is who do we get? I’m a bit of nerd about this stuff and have been tracking 5 players via the NET that I feel would work for TFC. All of them were unattached when I started tracking them, now they’re all with teams (actually one’s just on trail). We’re not the only team in the MLS looking for a striker and were certainly not the only team in the world, in our "financial league", looking for a striker.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not if Ricketts & Robert continue to do 4/5ths of fuck all. Their effort & application was terrible. Dichio was left to hold the line & dish the ball around.

Ricketts is all hype

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhoybobby View Post
    Not if Ricketts & Robert continue to do 4/5ths of fuck all. Their effort & application was terrible. Dichio was left to hold the line & dish the ball around.

Ricketts is all hype
    I actually thought Robert played pretty good today. He got through Columbus players easily and made some nice passes, and was good at slowing the plays down. A couple of times as he got towards the box he had to slow down as there was nobody to pass to, so he eventually lost it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts is all hype
    That’s a tad harsh. I think Robert played quite well today, uh, Ricketts not so much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts is all hype
    Thoroughly disagree; Robert was one of the best players out there today, Ricketts created several chances (and admittedly missed one, but he's never been a scorer, he's a winger). They can both play both sides, so they can both come inside or exploit the fullback is he's up. Robert's set pieces are fucking superb and Ricketts rarely loses the ball.

Oh, and on the subject at hand, yes, we definitely need a quality striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Robert played well today too...couple inches and we are celebrating a 1-0 win

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts is all hype
    I agree and diagree with you.

I think Robert looked good today and created chances. The thing i find with him is that often he tries to do to much. He has to move the ball more and not hold it for so long.

As for Rickets I agree. So far he has been all hype and nothing more. I've watche dhim in the four games he has palyed and he hasn't done much. I keep looking for something or signs that he may be a quality player but I just don't see it. At best he is average and maybe that's why he was no lomnger wanted in the English league. I realize it is a new taem and a new league for him but after 4 games he has looked rather mediocre.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    I agree 100%. Even an above average striker would do. We don’t need a 20 goal scorer, it would be nice, with the way the team is set up we could do much damage with a 10-15 goal scorer.
    20 goals would've won the Golden Boot in this league every year but 4. 15 would win it twice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    20 goals would've won the Golden Boot in this league every year but 4. 15 would win it twice.
    Fair point. Maybe 9-13 goals. My point was with the midfield scoring and scoring on set pieces, we need someone who can make a difference sometimes, but not all the time. Mo and Carver really have to get to it on this one.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveisonfire View Post
    I thought Robert played well today too...couple inches and we are celebrating a 1-0 win
    It's depressing but you're right about soccer being a game of both yards and inches. I'm not all that bent out of shape over the result myself. I think we dominated and got a very convincing draw against a team that had previously been tearing up the league. I'm starting to think giambac may be right about Ricketts, but Robert has pretty good positioning for the most part and he definitely poses a threat.

We could have won, but for a matter of inches.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 05-17-2008 at 11:08 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    It's depressing but you're right about soccer being a game of both yards and inches. I'm not all that bent out of shape over the result myself. I think we dominated and got a very convincing draw against a team that had previously been tearing up the league. I'm starting to think giambac may be right about Ricketts, but Robert has pretty good positioning for the most part and he definitely poses a threat.

We could have won, but for a matter of inches.
    I think the ‘yards and inches’ thing has been true for us all season. At least a half a dozen times (not today however) Dichio has been just a step too slow to convert a goal scoring chance.

I think Carver and Mo should try to find the UK equivalent to Emillio. If they’re so juiced into things over there, why not? As long we don’t bring back Kevin Gall - he’s just been made available for a free transfer by Carlisle United.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really need someone with that great finishing touch up front, with that I think all looks bright for us as a complete team. It will be great to get one, but hey sometimes there are hard to find and figure out who is the right one for you.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we get a quality striker [DP worthy] and we play like we did today against Columbus, we will be unstoppable, no doubt in my mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robert played good in my humble opinion.
    Ricketts is over rated and I am not liking him too much. He isnt doing anything to really......how do i say it? Excite me?! He seems like he aint there. Even Welshy boy would be involved in the game and make some runs and stuff.

Dichio isn't right for this formation. One thing you gotta remember the Turf is not going to help any of our older players as well...i

But we really really need a new striker upfront and Its obvious. Our club has not been able to score a goal in the last few games w/o it being a free kick...that worries me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts is all hype
    another agree and disagree. ricketts still hasn't been a major factor. he should have buried the chance he had all alone.

robert however, played a big game today. he hung onto the ball making some very good plays. too bad he hit the post because he made a mess of their defence on that play. definitely want to see more of todays robert. he was very aggressive.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it seems most are in agreement.

This team can be feared and unstoppable with a striker.

Funny how that one position would make this taem a complete team.

I think Mo didi a great job in bringing in Robert and especially Guevera for our midfield. Maybe the focus should have been on a striker rather than ricketts who hasn't adjusted. Sorrry BIg Burva

The football season overseas has ended so now is the time boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we should be bashing RR just yet. Edu had a few blunders yesterday not to mention Robbo making great defensive tackles and immediately passing it right back to the guys in yellow. I'm surprised he was MOTM. The biggest influence on the game was the wind and if GBS had a hang glider he could have dove all the way back to Columbus.

With a new striker we'll kick ass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah where's the 'Ricketts will silence doubters weekly' guy? Not a lot happening from him yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like most people I'm positive on Robert and not so sure about Ricketts. He has good pace and speed to take defenders 1 v. 1 but the end product (and even simple passes) are lacking. He has to get his head into the game a little more, he's wayy too reactionary out there.

The problems (as i see it so far) despite the talent we have on this team there are reeally only two guys who are a threat to shoot (Guevara and Robert). Everyone else looks like they went to the Andre Lombardo school of finishing. Watching teams like NER and Houston, I'm noticing that ever player on those teams is a threat to shoot from distance. Given, they blaze quite a few over the net but it still opens up the game a little more. We're a little too predictable in the attack so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like how Robert gets a little greedy going into and through the attacking third, he wants IT!

Ricketts is becoming the master of the negative pass

Cunningham should be released/waived/whatever and Dichio tied to the bench

Give Smith the minutes as a striker

Sign Tancredi or Sinclair from the women's NT

But enough of Dichio & Cunningham, clearly they can't contribute within the current set up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Robert played a solid game... he got our best chance but rung it off the post... so damn close. He made quick work on the wings moving the ball up and creating space... so he's looking to pay off.

But 110% that we need a quality man upfront as we have a solid midfield that could service a proper striker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing with Dichio is this: he's the same player he's been throughout his career - nothing's changed on that front except his age, which is showing.

Last year he was alright because we had a midfield that was more suited to him, and he didn't play alone up front.

Of course, this year we are a much more up-tempo team, so the fit is no longer there. Dichio was never the lone target-man player in his career, but that's exactly what we need now: pace, instinct and the ability to convert quickly.

To get more out of Dichio we need to partner him up front, at which point we lose control in the mid.

Cunningham I don't rate. He's fast but couldn't score in a month of Fridays.

Now is the time to either a) replace Cunny with another SI striker, or b) DP

Bringing in proven firepower up front will push this team into contention.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by professor View Post
    I like how Robert gets a little greedy going into and through the attacking third, he wants IT!

Ricketts is becoming the master of the negative pass

Cunningham should be released/waived/whatever and Dichio tied to the bench

Give Smith the minutes as a striker

Sign Tancredi or Sinclair from the women's NT

But enough of Dichio & Cunningham, clearly they can't contribute within the current set up

AMEN!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may be a bit long winded, but oh well. We are definetely missing a striker. Everybody knows it.

Now I am going to take a look at our play from the opposing team's coach and J.C Osorio perfected the plan when we played the RBNY.

Everybody knows that we play a 4-5-1. So lets start with Danny D. I am going to tell my centre backs to drape themselves all over him and make it really difficult to receive the ball. If he does receive it, let's make it difficult for him to lay it off b/c we are going to crowd the midfield. I know he does not make runs into space so we can easily mark him.

Let's move to the 5 midfielders. We like to play with our wide players, Robert and Ricketts. When our wide players receive the ball, they try and dribble into space. I am not sure if you have noticed, as soon as our wingers get the ball the fullback marks and the fullback forces them into a position where their winger helps and double teams are winger. Many times our wingers don't realize that they are going to be double teamed and we lose the ball.

Now look at Guevara, Robinson and Edu. They are so crowded in the middle and a lot of times passes are really hard to make b/c of the congestion. Guevara is really good on the ball, but there is only so much he can do when he cannot spring the striker forward b/c Dichio is only a target man and can only play in a static position.

So now every teams plan is to clog the middle up, mark Dichio with guys all over his back and double team the wingers each time they get the ball. The dead bulls did it really well, the Crew were ok, but we were never going to score yesterday even if we added 30 mins of extra time.

If you look at out last few goals, Robert, Guevara and Velez's goals were on set plays or free kicks etc. I forgot Guevara scored a goal from open play that deflected off of the KC defender to him. So that is the last goal we scored from open play.

Now if we hypothetically added a striker like JP Angel. I only use him b/c he is the type that we need. He can receive the ball to his feet(Cunningham can't), and into space(Dichio can't). He is good in the air and can hold the ball and allow the team to move up. What a differece it would make if we had a player of that calibre(for MLS standards) as our lone striker with our current 4-5-1 system
    Last edited by torfchamilton; 05-18-2008 at 12:43 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

torfchamilton, I like your analysis and agree with your conclusions.
    I think Dichio still has a place to play amoung certain teams (he can really disrupt some teams' defences), but a DP-quality striker is indeed what we need for that service when the better teams (such as Columbus) close down our options.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio is great for 10-20 minutes, when we are losing and perhaps taking a defender off. He wil give you 150% and would be great to just cause havoc in the box. Cunningham needs a lot of service and so theoretically needs to start b/c of the type of player he is. Yes he scored in LA, but really surprised that they left him in a 1v1 situation in that game. In all honesty, Cunningham cannot play in the 4-5-1 system. Dichio will not be traded but, will become a coach at some point. Cunningham can still play and probably would be beneficial to some team. Lets tradwe him or better yet, just get some $$$ for him to use to pay a salary down.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand where you are coming from Bhoybobby...but think of this.

Last year, instead of Ricketts....we had Welsh on the wing.

I am ok with the progress we are making. At least Ricketts has shown willingness and ability to beat that last man and cross the balls in.

What we need now is someone to stretch the defence and provide some a genuine scoring threat. At this point, I don't think we need to address the Robert and Rickett situation until we address what we are going to do upfront.

I think Dichio should come off the bench not start. I have been saying it for weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I think Dichio should come off the bench not start. I have been saying it for weeks.
    You are absolutely right, but unfortunately Cunningham should be coming off the bench as well. Cunningham cannot play in this system, especially if they want him to receive the ball as a target man. If you just keep sending long balls, then he is playing by himself as well. We are in a no win situation.