Page 65 of 98 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 2915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    well everybody knew something was happening in the next day or so - it's that he presents himself as someone in the know, and bombastically at that, who is often way off or exaggerated in his assertions - anyway, rule of thumb, confirm from JM who doesn't 'wild dream it all up'
    And yet told people on Reddit he makes his living doing research for gambling companies. So now we're also expected to believe MLS officials would risk leaking information about player transactions to someone who works in gaming. The repercussions of that would cost them their career, at any level.

EDIT: Beyond any of that, I spent two decades in a business where cultivating high-level sources (in NGOs, government, business, sports, or whatever) is a laborious and fragile process that takes months or even years, and requires knowing the craft from years of study. Most reporters can't do it; the idea that a part-timer who covers one sport is better than all of them at it, yet can't get a full-time media gig, is absurd.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Castigate using the body of work presented or then asking about what isn't presented is one thing but you're well aware the difference between that and a personal slight. Let others come to conclusions on their own.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    And yet told people on Reddit he makes his living doing research for gambling companies. So now we're also expected to believe MLS officials would risk leaking information about player transactions to someone who works in gaming. The repercussions of that would cost them their career, at any level.

EDIT: Beyond any of that, I spent two decades in a business where cultivating high-level sources (in NGOs, government, business, sports, or whatever) is a laborious and fragile process that takes months or even years, and requires knowing the craft from years of study. Most reporters can't do it; the idea that a part-timer who covers one sport is better than all of them at it, yet can't get a full-time media gig, is absurd.
    In this day and age is hard to get a fulltime journo gig in this country just to cover soccer, even Kurt Larson has responsibities at the Sun beyond his TFC coverage. I believe most people end up with sources, but as you mentioned above its the quality of them is what really matters.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, assuming we are going to have a new keeper for the start of training camp, what's the deadline to get one signed and announced?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So, assuming we are going to have a new keeper for the start of training camp, what's the deadline to get one signed and announced?
    Gahd, soon. The draft is coming up, training camps start in a few weeks. We need someone before mid-feb, you have to figure, for them to be fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really disappointed about not going after a number 6 (DM). Will Johnson isn't a 6, but our midfield has improved. Still think it will be an issue again this season. Cheyrou can't play by himself in front of the back 4. Not fast enough nor that kind of player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    "Talk about how I felt I were doing a good job and that no one appreciated my interviewing skills even though Danielle is a superior interviewer in every way and that the Tampa Bay Rowdies seem to appreciate my talents as a young Canadian making a mark in this business...."

?
    "Talk about: um, um, um". Not exactly what I'd call great reporting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I mean, we announced Drew Moor the next day. Not exactly an egregious error...

Better example would be Boakai, who Rollins said we'd be acquiring but nothing has come of it yet.

Pretty sure we acquired his rights and he said as much, also pretty srue he said Boakai was looking at overseas options whihc were limited.
    Might be wrong tho, i could have attributed that to him and it was someone else

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It Kocic comes in, he won't be no. 1. They'll promote Bono.
    Bono doesn't look better than Roberts at this point. Paint me as skeptical if that's the plan.

The US hype train heavily was behind the kid prior to the draft. I haven't seen much following that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I don't think there's much difference between any of them, really. Bendik's time here was over, but if we're not going to re-sign Konopka it should be because we're signing a clear upgrade. Bringing Kocic back would be a lateral move.

We have all this TAM and it doesn't look like we're going to sign a DM, so let's use it on a keeper that can win us games.
    still so very early, plenty of time for stuff ot happen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont think salaries have to be sorted til March

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Dont think salaries have to be sorted til March
    Yeah, I get salaries, but wouldn't we want a keeper in from the beginning working with the back 4?

When does camp start again? I don't see it listed on the TFC site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besides goalkeeping still need to see what happens with kantari, perquis and moore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

march 6, noon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Bono doesn't look better than Roberts at this point. Paint me as skeptical if that's the plan.

The US hype train heavily was behind the kid prior to the draft. I haven't seen much following that.
    I don't buy Kocic coming in a player anyway. Just saying, if that's the case, I think they'll move forward with Bono.

Q isn't prone to gaffs but he has a few years of pro experience. Bono, however, has more intangibles though like command of box and height.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC can't find a gaolie in time they should call the Manitowoc County Sherrif's Department - probably find one under someone's shoe that was there the whole time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I get salaries, but wouldn't we want a keeper in from the beginning working with the back 4?

When does camp start again? I don't see it listed on the TFC site.
    22nd Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    22nd Jan
    Maybe we'll have some invite keepers there? Keeper is tough to scout from just tape and stats. Our coach, Conway, is only recently retired and we have no idea if he's a good judge of talent. Be interesting to see how they handle this, whether they bring in some objective outside help to lock it down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Maybe we'll have some invite keepers there? Keeper is tough to scout from just tape and stats. Our coach, Conway, is only recently retired and we have no idea if he's a good judge of talent. Be interesting to see how they handle this, whether they bring in some objective outside help to lock it down.
    This guy and his agency helped us out real good last time we got outside help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't buy Kocic coming in a player anyway. Just saying, if that's the case, I think they'll move forward with Bono.

Q isn't prone to gaffs but he has a few years of pro experience. Bono, however, has more intangibles though like command of box and height.
    I'm not sold on Bono at this point. We'll see how far he gets but in my mind there is no reason to put him above Q in the pecking order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Borjan/Stamapolous/Kocic

The status quo isn't good enough, and neither Bono or Q are ready for first team

Go out there and get a proper keeper a la Pimedo/Ousted/etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling that Bez is going to wait with signings until after the Superdraft when TFC will know what player they got from the draft. If it's a winger, then they'll probably split TAM on a decent DM and decent GK. If they get a DM, then they'll sign Boakai and throw all their TAM at a high-grade GK. But I don't expect to see any more roster moves until after the Superdraft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get the need for a 500K+ GK, just get someone around the 250K range who can command the box along with organizing the defense well and your good to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I don't get the need for a 500K+ GK, just get someone around the 250K range who can command the box along with organizing the defense well and your good to go.
    has anyone figured out if we can fit even a 80k keeper under the salary cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    has anyone figured out if we can fit even a 80k keeper under the salary cap.
    Based on player union salaries and the moves made so far, if we were to buy out Kantari we would currently have in the ballpark of 144k more in cap space now than we did at the end of last season.

Minimum budget charge of a player signed with TAM is 150k, so signing a keeper at this point won't be a problem... as long as we buy out Kantari.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we could be looking at rob green. He's been told to find himself a new club or he won't be picked for the rest of the season. a contract salary increase kicks in if he makes it to 30 games and he's played 25 already. If we offer him enough years we could fit him in under TAM.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 01-09-2016 at 01:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    we could be looking at rob green. He's been told to find himself a new club or he won't be picked for the rest of the season. a contract salary increase kicks in if he makes it to 30 games and he's played 25 already. If we offer him enough years we could fit him in under TAM.
    nope. way to prone to gaffes and errors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    nope. way to prone to gaffes and errors.
    R u saying that because you watch him on a regular basis or because of the 2010 World Cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    R u saying that because you watch him on a regular basis or because of the 2010 World Cup
    I follow QPR. Here is a recent one https://twitter.com/_AndyHa/status/683001504677113858

Go browse QPR message boards or search his name on twitter to see what QPR fans think.

Here is a sample

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now we understand the Portland side of the Johnson deal. They sign Ned Grabavoy (who made $100K less than Johnson last year) plus allocation money.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...reinforcements

I really like Portland's side of this deal better than ours - Grabavoy is a decent player, not much worse than Johnson, and the Timbers have, call it, $200K in cap space.

(Can't win em all - I do like the Moor and Beitashour deals)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”