Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Who is William?

If you mean Will.i.am, I’d rather not have that guy on the team.

Edit: if you mean Willian, that isn’t going to happen. His salary demands would be huge, he isn’t going to come to Toronto, and...

That is the most ridiculous comparison I’ve ever heard. Why not Messi? Would you rather Messi or Willian come to TFC?

Honestly...

Edit2: are you seriously drawing an equivalence between Nani and Willian?

That’s even worse.
    It’s probably a stretch. Maybe they could sign a guy between Nani and Willian. Maybe a guy like Shaqiri?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    It’s probably a stretch. Maybe they could sign a guy between Nani and Willian. Maybe a guy like Shaqiri?
    I don’t know, isn’t Ronaldo available? He’s Portuguese and can play on the wing. Can we compare his potential MLS stats with Bradley’s contribution and decide whether we should sign him or not?

Spitballing players is fun, but eventually you have to deal with reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know, isn’t Ronaldo available? He’s Portuguese and can play on the wing. Can we compare his potential MLS stats with Bradley’s contribution and decide whether we should sign him or not?

Spitballing players is fun, but eventually you have to deal with reality.
    Willian is 31 on the downside but still very good and makes 6.2 mill euros a year, not much more than Bradley. Hes kind of at that Rooney level when he came over to MLS. I dont see how its so crazy to think he could come to MLS when hes 32.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just what TFC needs: an old, past expiration Portuguese winger who is slow, has a bad attitude, would rather whine than play, and has as many goals as Tesho.

The team is built around him and Tesho has as many goals.
    Ooooo

I haven't see Will.I.Am since Wolverine Origins but I'd love to see Tesho in Red.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    I just watched my first 45 min in a long while. TFC is a mediocre MLS team, plain and simple.
    I'm going to tell you an interesting story.
    I have been going to tfc games for 4 years now and win or lose in the go train tunnel everyone is chanting tfc tfc. Everybody loves this team, I couldn't explain the feeling to non soccer fans.
    Well anyways last night a guy behind me does a chant tfc tfc and nobody says tfc tfc it's all quiet except for one guy.
    He yells sucks.
    In other words it went tfc tfc sucks.
    The guy with the tfc chant immediately stopped and never said tfc tfc again.
    So sad what has become of this once great team in just two years
    Last edited by stevep; 08-11-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shaqiri seems perfectly happy collecting cheques and trophies with Liverpool as well as getting CL minutes.

Having a defensive shield to replace Bradley could free Pozuelo from having to drop deep to defend.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    I have been going to tfc games for 4 years now and win or lose in the go train tunnel everyone is chanting tfc tfc. Everybody loves this team, I couldn't explain the feeling to non soccer fans.
    Well anyways last night a guy behind me does a chant tfc tfc and nobody says tfc tfc it's all quiet except for one guy.
    He yells sucks.
    Good thing you weren't here in 2010-2012. You would have seen much, much worse than one guy saying "TFC sucks." This is an article about a protest that we RPB organized in 2011. The team was sucking, meanwhile MLSE was rapidly jacking up prices for the Supporters.

https://thefanmagazine.wordpress.com...ccer-fans/amp/

In 2012 with the failure of the Aron Winter experiment (during which the team started 0-9 on the season, which gave it the worst record in the world), the team had to slash season tickets to keep everyone from bailing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...rticle4621019/

Even so many people bailed. We had a meltdown on this board. Many people quit to "never follow TFC again" (a lot of those came back in 2016). People wore paper bags over their heads to protest the terrible team and an ownership that was incompetent and didn't seem to care.

Then something almost miraculous happened. MLSE's new majority owners Bell & Rogers hired Tim Leiweke to run the company, and he made turning around TFC his top priority, (followed by the Raptors). He cleaned out most of the FO and appointed people who turned the team around, and convinced the board to spend big on 3 very expensive DPs. The rest is history. A lot of new fans came on board. The treble. Seeing Seba play. Those of us who stuck with the team were rewarded with the best season in MLS history, one which we will never forget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Good thing you weren't here in 2010-2012. You would have seen much, much worse than one guy saying "TFC sucks." This is an article about a protest that we RPB organized in 2011. The team was sucking, meanwhile MLSE was rapidly jacking up prices for the Supporters.

https://thefanmagazine.wordpress.com...ccer-fans/amp/

In 2012 with the failure of the Aron Winter experiment (during which the team started 0-9 on the season, which gave it the worst record in the world), the team had to slash season tickets to keep everyone from bailing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...rticle4621019/

Even so many people bailed. We had a meltdown on this board. Many people quit to "never follow TFC again" (a lot of those came back in 2016). People wore paper bags over their heads to protest the terrible team and an ownership that was incompetent and didn't seem to care.

Then something almost miraculous happened. MLSE's new majority owners Bell & Rogers hired Tim Leiweke to run the company, and he made turning around TFC his top priority, (followed by the Raptors). He cleaned out most of the FO and appointed people who turned the team around, and convinced the board to spend big on 3 very expensive DPs. The rest is history. A lot of new fans came on board. The treble. Seeing Seba play. Those of us who stuck with the team were rewarded with the best season in MLS history, one which we will never forget.

I was shocked last night. Never experienced that before.
    Hoping it never gets like 2012 again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He yells sucks.
    Hahah. It's been a lot worse. A couple wins can fix that. We're battling for a playoff spot. What happened long before was far worse.

Sound like Johnny-Come-Lately fans who expect 2016/17 days.

I was shocked last night. Never experienced that before.
    Hoping it never gets like 2012 again.

It won't. And even if it did, tough it out. Just need to predrink more.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He yells sucks.
    We went from Giovinco who had electrifying moments, to a team thats been boring to watch.

Ive had seasons for 6 years now, and yesterday the guys next to me said they werent renewing. My friends are similarly on the fence.

The energy isnt the same on or off the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Willian is 31 on the downside but still very good and makes 6.2 mill euros a year, not much more than Bradley. Hes kind of at that Rooney level when he came over to MLS. I dont see how its so crazy to think he could come to MLS when hes 32.
    I didn’t say it was beyond the realm of reason, just that it wasn’t going to happen.

I’ve said that Bradley’s contract is excessive and that a DP DM is rarely going to be a constructive use of resources in MLS right now.

That said:

1. Why do you think Bradley makes a lot of money? Would he make that much playing in Europe last year?

2. Willian would be available on a free. Salary demands increase.

3. No one comes to MLS for less money.

4. Willian would be the most expensive player in MLS, probably, and these are not the signings TFC is looking for in the future, per the FO.

5. Willian could probably still play in Europe if he wanted to, but Brazilian NT members also carry clout in other leagues, which is why China offers them crazy salaries. If Brazilian mercenaries saw MLS as a league of choice, there’d be loads of them here. There aren’t.

In any case, I wouldn’t want Nani here. How an evaluation of Nani turned into wouldn’t you rather have Nani than Bradley and then into wouldn’t you rather have Willian than Bradley is confusing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    And I would not even say Laura is a full time TFC beat type anymore, she is pretty much Jays all the time now. Beezer spends more time on it than she does.
    who is a tfc reporter is kind of irrelevant. The point is Vanney had a 7 minute press conference after the game and in that 7 minutes some reporters whoever they were did not ask him why he did not start the two new tam guys.
    you would think that would be the most obvious question to ask the guy.
    heck that question was on this message board at the beginning of the game and it is all over twitter.

if you thought last year was a bizzaro season, this season is just as bizzaro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who is a tfc reporter is kind of irrelevant. The point is Vanney had a 7 minute press conference after the game and in that 7 minutes some reporters whoever they were did not ask him why he did not start the two new tam guys.
    you would think that would be the most obvious question to ask the guy.
    heck that question was on this message board at the beginning of the game and it is all over twitter.

if you thought last year was a bizzaro season, this season is just as bizzaro
    Who is a TFC reporter is actually the only thing relevant to what you’re asking.

It’s been discussed numerous times on this board — the number of knowledgeable, independent reporters is dwindling down to basically nothing, and the reporters whose paycheques come from Bell and Rogers aren’t going to rock the boat and play hardball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, referee needed to stop the game when Laryea was on the floor with a dislocated shoulder. And the physics should have just come on. That’s incredibly painful. Incredibly. He has guts. You could see that it was still out when he came to the sidelines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    By the way, referee needed to stop the game when Laryea was on the floor with a dislocated shoulder. And the physics should have just come on. That’s incredibly painful. Incredibly. He has guts. You could see that it was still out when he came to the sidelines.
    Was also mad that the Orlando players didn't put the ball out, and then we got possession and we didn't put it out... Brutal to watch this, but really starting to like the guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought we deserved better to be honest. Jozy and Poz both missed golden opportunities they normally convert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don’t think we have a player outside of Poz that can deliver that quality final pass in the opponents final 1/3 (maybe Osorio). Shaff has been found out, and heavily one footed. Endoh, Bradley, Delgado don’t have it either (on very rare occasion they have). Altidore does, but is playing as a lone striker. For me, the season hinges on if Gallardo or Benezet can be that threat, because are so heavy reliant on Pozuelo

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I just don’t think we have a player outside of Poz that can deliver that quality final pass in the opponents final 1/3 (maybe Osorio). Shaff has been found out, and heavily one footed. Endoh, Bradley, Delgado don’t have it either (on very rare occasion they have). Altidore does, but is playing as a lone striker. For me, the season hinges on if Gallardo or Benezet can be that threat, because are so heavy reliant on Pozuelo
    But we will only play them in the CCL, so we win a trophy and go to champions league. I have to admit, I have been pretty patient until now. Losing to Houston and drawing to Orlando is just amateur hour. Hate to say it Vanney and the players need to start playing scared.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed re: Shaffelburg. Now that said, this kid is very young and if the coaching staff has their wits about them, should be able to find ways for him to improve his game.

I’m the meantime he’s still an ideal late game sub. That pace will be near impossible to neutralize with tired legs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Those of us who stuck with the team were rewarded with the best season in MLS history, one which we will never forget.
    Made all the sweeter by the years of pain we endured since 2007.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shaff has not been “found out”. He is 19! He is still learning.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed something a little different about how teams have handled him the last 2 MLS games when Shaff makes a run, they put 1 guy on him and then stand 2 guys covering the near post cross - he doesn't get it past them. When Morrow is going down there or Laryea on the other side, they tend to put 1 covering the near post cross and have the other guy covering late runners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed “found out” is a tad harsh. Now that said, we see guys hit the league all the time red-hot only for their performances to level off once other teams have enough tape on how they play.

I’m sure he can adapt but it’s obvious we shouldn’t straight away expect what we saw in his first few games. Expectations need to be tempered a tad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed “found out” is a tad harsh. Now that said, we see guys hit the league all the time red-hot only for their performances to level off once other teams have enough tape on how they play.

I’m sure he can adapt but it’s obvious we shouldn’t straight away expect what we saw in his first few games. Expectations need to be tempered a tad.
    That’s fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I've noticed something a little different about how teams have handled him the last 2 MLS games when Shaff makes a run, they put 1 guy on him and then stand 2 guys covering the near post cross - he doesn't get it past them. When Morrow is going down there or Laryea on the other side, they tend to put 1 covering the near post cross and have the other guy covering late runners.
    Interesting and makes sense. He needs to learn to be a more complete player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn’t know where to put this, but whoever’s idea it was to put Legend TFC before the lineups this season before the game is a genius. Great song, fires up the crowd, and gets everyone loud before the match.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn’t know where to put this, but whoever’s idea it was to put Legend TFC before the lineups this season before the game is a genius. Great song, fires up the crowd, and gets everyone loud before the match.
    Absolutely, brings me back to the old days, the first couple seasons. Such fun times before we woke from the dream.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can only sing that song ironically, with alcohol, and must always comment - "Its a shit song, but its ours" while laughing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I can only sing that song ironically, with alcohol, and must always comment - "Its a shit song, but its ours" while laughing.
    I wish they would stop telling us what to do - sing along with the anthem, raise our scarf, I’ll say the first name and you say the last - we did all that, and more, ourselves. That’s what made it great. It’s not the ACC where they need instructions about when to cheer. It’s TFC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish they would stop telling us what to do - sing along with the anthem, raise our scarf, I’ll say the first name and you say the last - we did all that, and more, ourselves. That’s what made it great. It’s not the ACC where they need instructions about when to cheer. It’s TFC
    This 100% pisses me off. We did all those things without prompting and now TFC are taking it on as if it was their idea and now that they announce all that it looks like the only reason we do it is because we are told to. Totally ruins the positive vibe for me and almost makes me want to stop doing it. Wish the front office would just piss off and let everything happen naturally. We are not sheep.