Page 105 of 193 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 5785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I went back and looked through all of our league games to try and see if the use of Bradley has been reasonable... For sake of analysis, I've assumed Bradley, Oso, Pozuelo, Priso and Okello are our top 5 midfielders to play in a midfield 3.
    In our 21 games, there were 8 games where only 2 or 3 of those players were available. In those instances I can't imagine you would sub out Bradley. I don't really want Mehdi Essoussi playing.
    There were 7 games we had four of those players available. You could make the case to rotate him, but in a number of those games Oso, Poz, or Priso were coming back from injury (and sometimes multiple at once). Bradley was the only one who was healthy, so it makes sense to have him play an extended period.
    There were 4 games we had all five of those players available. In all of those games Okello receives substantially more minutes than Priso. These four games were early on in the season, Bradley was still fresh and we were 2-1-1 in these games. So playing Bradley wasn't really a negative.

Overall, I struggled to find games where you could reasonably rotate Bradley. Here's the spreadsheet with games and some notes I had for each game: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Very interesting. Nice work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WhoScored has Bradley as our 4th best player this season (5th if you include Criscito), with a rating of 6.73. His past two games have also been his best and fourth best games of the season. His numbers are comparable to 2018/19, although no as strong as 2014-17. Caveats apply of course, but statistically he's been decent.
    https://www.whoscored.com/Players/22...ichael-Bradley
    Finally managed to make it to a match, the SJ game and from the stands I thought MB was genuinely good. I have a feeling, as part of a stable but fluid three in the midfield, he’s going to get forward more often than he’s done when he’s a deep lying 6 or a sweeper, and he’s going to look better overall.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 07-14-2022 at 12:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    OK - so tonight sucked. Nobody played well.

So, where do we go from here? What do we need to make this team a real contender?

Answer: maybe more than we can sign during this window.

To make a playoff run, we will have to sign 4 players during this window, and if we want to contend next year, we will need to sign 4 more in the offseason.

My list:

1 Right back: This goes without saying
    1-2 Center backs: Maybe two? 1 during this window and 1 during the next. Mavinga and his $1,000,000 salary come off the books this year.
    1 Right winger: (Bernardeschi... hopefully)
    1 Goalkeeper: Probably two, but I would be ok with Westberg as our backup, but Bono has to go
    1-2 Midfielder: Kaye is a good player, but Osorio might leave and Bradley is turning 35 in a few weeks.
    1 Starting Striker: Jimenez is not an elite goalscorer and never has been in his career. Ayo hasn't been the same since he got hurt.

Priority for this window:

1 DP winger (Bernardeschi
    1 Right Back
    1 Center Back
    1 Striker

Summer Window:

2 Midfielders
    1 Center Back
    1 Keeper (maybe 2 if we don't keep westberg as a backup)
    Pretty spot on assessment. I think we need 2 CB’s right now, maybe Henry for the rest of the year, with option(s) for additional year(s), and trade Ayo for a CB line leader. I don’t think the team can afford to have Criscito play CB, especially with Insigne playing. It would suck to see Ayo go, but it’s probably best for him and the team. Honestly, I think some of the current prospects should be used as bait, and I can’t help but wonder if Bob and Michael thinks the same. It appears to be a pretty stark sink or swim kind of situation. It’s really hard to watch, but is probably necessary. None of the kids are apparently ready for any sort of role yet, and desperately need mentoring in their positions, especially those out of position.
    I really hope all of this trial by fire doesn’t effect any more of the vets. Osorio is the only one left from last year not showing signs of cracking, but that could easily be attributed to him playing for the most important event of his life and a major contract upgrade.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 07-14-2022 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    So looks like the in the know local journalists they knew exactly what they were talking about.
    https://football-italia.net/bernarde...th-toronto-fc/

For a “done deal” they still seem remarkably full of shit.

I’m not saying it’s not going to happen, I’m just saying that when they were claiming a month ago and two weeks ago that it was done, they were gambling on speculation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just listened to Bob’s post game presser from last night and he made two comments that stood out to me. He was asked what he thought was wrong last night and his answer was individual errors, which to me sounds like he means players need to step up or leave. Also, his response to a question about the CB situation was that he knows the team is thin at CB. Not sure if that means it will be addressed right away or not, but it’s not like he’d say he’s looking anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    im underwhelmed with BB so far im getting a armas,winter vibe with this team
    I am equally unimpressed.

His reputation in the US is weighty but he seems tactically inflexible, personnel inflexible, a little temperamental and judgmental despite his reputation for being cool about things.

That scene with Mavinga was unprofessional. Bottle it up, man, it’s during a game and you’re the manager. The dude obviously has had mental health issues for years. Mocking that because you’re irritated in the moment is a bit weak-willed.

There are times when his calm during pressers impresses me. He projects confidence. But he seems to be doing nothing to correct issues on the pitch.

I’m not saying the fullbacks move in the offseason was long-term wrong; maybe both guys are a terrible pain in the ass. But without a contingency, it was principle over survival.

Playing Nelson and Kosi Thompson day in and day out seems like principle, not survival. And if we can’t survive defensively in games we don’t give ourselves a chance to win. Neither is ready; I’m not sure Jayden ever will be, he makes so many quick, poor mistakes.

Equally, Kerr seems to have abundant physical skills, but he can’t read the game at this speed. It’s obvious watching how often he just freezes in place and sort of tries to figure out which way to step next that he’s just lost unless he has the ball at his feet.

Now, we’ve all discussed the fact that we know they’re not ready. It’s blooding them as backups, right?

But… what about the other guys at TFCII who frequently show better than this, like Franklin and Rothrock? They may be less physically gifted but mentally they’re miles above the three guys who start every game for us.

Is that some political machination where he’s been told he has to play the kids so they can get value out of them? Or is that just a stubborn self-belief that he can crush coal into diamonds, in short enough order to help our team?

Why, when he looked so good central early in the season, did we move Kosi Thompson to fullback? He’s clearly utterly out of his depth. Chung was out of his depth in terms of positioning and consistency but at least he could defend consistently.

Why, if they know Chris is having deep personal problems, is he starting ahead of McNaughton, who has actually shown reasonably well this year? (And given that Mavinga played most of his career before us at left back, why didn’t we consider moving him there as both a help to the team temporarily and a comfort to the player, who is clearly in no head space to play isolated centrally).

Why does Michael play every minute despite pretty mediocre output and defensive flaws caused by his speed? Why did we not land at least one competent veteran central midfielder in the offseason to shore up the spine?

Sure, he effectively got the shaft on Salcedo, but our defense has no organization, at all. People don’t seem to know how to communicate on the field, so they don’t move as a unit, exposing gaps and making it too easy to beat the trap.

I see the obvious benefits of his self-belief and patience, and his resume shows that at the right club, it works. So I’m not going to start throwing out invectives about him being a terrible coach.

But so far, this seems more like his flame-out at Chivas USA than any of the successes. That was also a young club in build mode and it didn’t work there, either.

The most glaring, concerning thing about BB right now is that I’m suspecting he is arrogant. I say that only because we’ve had a couple of games where we did things slightly differently out of necessity — such as playing Priso, who has true DM skills on closing quickly and the tackle, even if we’ve used him as an eight — and we’ve looked great.

The game against Montreal was an example. We played with Priso holding and it made an enormous difference to have one of the three midfielders always back. An enormous difference. He broke up transitions for 60 minutes.

But Ralph comes across as a strong personality. And I suspect he was seen by BB as arrogant which, perhaps ironically, he really doesn’t like. That he was our best midfielder for two of the three games in which he was effective didn’t seem to enter the equation.

Neither did the fact that when Michael was injured in 2020 and we played a central two of Delgado/Osorio… the team went right back to being Supporters Shield contenders. It made that much difference, having mobility centrally and a dedicated defender.

So… I dunno. I am unconvinced. I feel like we have a guy who does well with ONE kind of team, that he can motivate, and where they’re of a high enough skill level already that he doesn’t really need to worry as much tactically or across the depth of the roster.

It does not feel like the right recipe for fixing this.

Now, should he suddenly land Bernardeschi and a DP centre half, all bets are off. Take the kids off and put competent professionals on the field and we’d probably make the playoffs because… they’re competent professionals.

But any coach, anywhere could do that. Literally. Even a bad coach will win with a team full of the league’s best players, as long as they’re there to win.

What I want to know is why more isn’t being done now. Why we’re just trying to hammer the same round pegs into squares holes.

Sure some of the TFCII kids aren’t going to make it much beyond that. But some of them have potential, they’re just a couple of years older and havent’ had a shot yet. Or their talent isn’t recognized, a ala Jacen Russel-Rowe.

I simply don’t believe Kobe Franklin, who is only 19, wouldn’t be doing better than Thompson, and he’s earned his shot by being USL defender of the year finalist. Thompson isn’t even trained as a fullback, and it shows.

Equally, Kerr was playing college ball, and not dominating, just impressing. Again, it seems a narrative: prove we can turn TFC youth players into MLS diamonds.

Does anyone not think Russell-Rowe would’ve looked pretty good up top for us last night on that right side? We just let his rights go. THis season. With no players.

That screams of “certain attitudes aren’t welcome here.” Which… fine, I get it, nobody likes an arrogant young dick or a guy who exudes ‘tude. But that talent has to be respected; that’s both biology and reality.

Kerr was playing college ball last year and not dominating. How on God’s green Earth is that ready for MLS? Perhaps, in being around so long, BB has lost sight of the growth in the league. MLS is rated globally as the 16th most difficult professional football league, it’s not a kickabout league any more.

I’m not even sure what the guy’s best position is. The week earlier, although he was technically up top, he sat back in the midfield for most of the game and had his best game of the year, leading the team with a goal, an assist and three tackles. So… play him as a central midfielder, maybe? It’s the only spot he has excelled in, effectively.

So, I don’t feel confident. I feel like even if we get the parts to start winning, the formula for sustained success isn’t in this model. It doesn’t feel right.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-14-2022 at 09:47 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    https://football-italia.net/bernarde...th-toronto-fc/

For a “done deal” they still seem remarkably full of shit.

I’m not saying it’s not going to happen, I’m just saying that when they were claiming a month ago and two weeks ago that it was done, they were gambling on speculation.
    They didn't say that tho.

And they are t full of shit, they haven't been wrong once

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They didn't say that tho.

And they are t full of shit, they haven't been wrong once
    ”This means Toronto FC will be signing Federico Bernadeschi” was on Michael Singh’s Twitter feed a week ago.

That’s a confirmation. That’s not “…. if everything goes right.” “Will be” is exactly the same thing as “Done deal.” So yes, he jumped the gun.

https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelsi...00527689138177

If you scroll down, you’ll also see Fabrizio Romano claiming Bernardeschi’s “agents are checking the contracts and then it will be done.”

In other words it’s just paperwork and it’s complete. So clearly he thinks it’s a done deal. But he doesn’t have it confirmed, or Bernardeschi wouldn’t have come out and said “don’t take it from anyone but me, as I haven’t signed anywhere.”

It’s irresponsible to report something “will” happen until you have a confirmation, period, end of fucking debate.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-14-2022 at 09:57 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

”This means Toronto FC will be signing Federico Bernadeschi” was on Michael Singh’s Twitter feed a week ago.

That’s a confirmation. That’s not “…. if everything goes right.” “Will be” is exactly the same thing as “Done deal.” So yes, he jumped the gun.

https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelsi...00527689138177

If you scroll down, you’ll also see Fabrizio Romano claiming Bernardeschi’s “agents are checking the contracts and then it will be done.”

In other words it’s just paperwork and it’s complete. So clearly he thinks it’s a done deal. But he doesn’t have it confirmed, or Bernardeschi wouldn’t have come out and said “don’t take it from anyone but me, as I haven’t signed anywhere.”

It’s irresponsible to report something “will” happen until you have a confirmation, period, end of fucking debate.
    he probably had a basic confirmation from someone within the club a week ago, as in the deal was largely agreed, pending pozuelo to miami transfer being agreed.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 07-14-2022 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he probably had a basic confirmation from someone within the club a week ago.

not hard to understand.
    Clearly it is, as that’s not how confirmations work… unless you’re suggesting Bernardeschi is lying.

The club can’t confirm something that hasn’t happened. There is no such thing as a “basic confirmation.” Something either has happened or it hasn’t. That’s how confirmations work.

So either he’s lying, or whoever told him he “will” be a TFC player was lying, or whoever reported it initially was exaggerating or lying.

They can’t all be telling the truth and yet saying the exact opposite.

Again, not saying it won’t happen, just that people are playing fast with the truth.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly it is, as that’s not how confirmations work… unless you’re suggesting Bernardeschi is lying.

The club can’t confirm something that hasn’t happened. There is no such thing as a “basic confirmation.” Something either has happened or it hasn’t. That’s how confirmations work.

So either he’s lying, or whoever told him he “will” be a TFC player was lying, or whoever reported it initially was exaggerating or lying.

Again, not saying it won’t happen, just that people are playing fast with the truth.
    he never claimed he had sign, he said he will be signing. the bernardeschi denial was because an italian fake news journalist said he already signed.

and he will be a tfc player, and he will be right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's this as people will do anything for clicks, follows, and "rep". Ask Forbes on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a stopped watch will tell the right time twice a day. Something “will happen” isn’t reporting, it’s supposition, by definition. It may end out being correct, but a guess is still a guess, educated or not.

And it hasn’t happened, so it clearly isn’t as simple as waiting for Poz to move.

They’ve been talking to him for months, presumably. Are you seriously suggesting his agents and lawyers couldn’t read a deal by now and figure out if it’s kosher?

They’re negotiating still, clearly. Any time that’s happening nothing is definite, even if it is likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think it's this as people will do anything for clicks, follows, and "rep". Ask Forbes on Twitter.
    And a lot of the time that supposition is grounded in the probable, which is why they feel safe doing it. I know. I had full-time reporters with considerable reputations risk doing it. Sometimes, they got it wrong.

It’s a rather unfortunate reality that internet-based news, unless it’s coming from an agency with a considerable track record and mechanisms to defend solid ethics and reporting, is not dependable and never will be. Without any sort of basis in social conscience or purpose, and with it all driven by fame and money, people just exhibit few scruples.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a stopped watch will tell the right time twice a day. Something “will happen” isn’t reporting, it’s supposition, by definition. It may end out being correct, but a guess is still a guess, educated or not.

And it hasn’t happened, so it clearly isn’t as simple as waiting for Poz to move.

They’ve been talking to him for months, presumably. Are you seriously suggesting his agents and lawyers couldn’t read a deal by now and figure out if it’s kosher?

They’re negotiating still, clearly. Any time that’s happening nothing is definite, even if it is likely.
    so you don't think he has sources well positioned to comment on transfers in the club?

he's got every major move right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems clear at this point that Berna is leveraging this offer to explore other avenues.

I hope we have some targets lined up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is probably like whatever went down with Criscito when he snapped at that reporter for saying the deal was done. In this case I bet after Poz was moved FB's agent hit us with a demand for more cash knowing that shoe #1 dropped and we're stuck with MLS limits and are probably desperate for something with our form.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is probably like whatever went down with Criscito when he snapped at that reporter for saying the deal was done. In this case I bet after Poz was moved FB's agent hit us with a demand for more cash knowing that shoe #1 dropped and we're stuck with MLS limits and are probably desperate for something with our form.
    i reckon it's just these cross atlantic deals have a lot more red tape and details to sort out, so take more time to complete.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

These convos should happen in a bar - so I'll try my best to counter your concerns:

Re: Tactically inflexible:
    I think Bob is being tactically inflexible for a reason and I kind of agree with it. Wins are not important right now. that is not what this season is about. This season is about laying the foundation for the next 5 years. Why would he incorporate tactics and players that don't add to what he is building on. That's just a waste of time. He knew back in January that in the next 2-3 windows he would get the players he asked for that could easily slot into the system he is building. It makes more sense to train the guys he has on the system he wants to play so that when these reinforcements do come in, there isn't a transition period away from the band-aid tactics and into the system he ultimately wants. Short term pain for long term gain. Makes for a strong team

RE:Priso
    He wasn't ready. He won't be ready to play at the level we need with the consistency that we need for another 2-3 years at least. That position is too crucial to rely on a 19 year old kid to grow into. If we want to return to being a powerhouse club, We don't have 2-3+ years to figure out if he's the real deal or not. Jonathan Osorio made his first team debut in 2013. it wasn't until 2016...maybe even 2017 that we all said "This guy is 100% a starter in this team. Don't forget, he was still fighting for a position in 2017 with Delgado and Cooper. he wasn't a lock. I don't see anything more special in Priso than what Oso had. If anything I think Oso was a stronger/more mature player when he first arrived. So I don't see Priso maturing any faster than 2-3 years minimum. Swapping him for MAK was perfect. We got a guy who is a league leader at this position and is only 27 years old, and he knows how to play in Bob's system, so there's no transition period needed.

RE: Bleeding the kids
    They got an amazing opportunity to show what they bring to the table. They were in an environment where making mistakes wasn't going to cost them their spot on the first team. Where else can you get that kind of experience? Where you make a critical mistake in the match and you are not sent back to reserves for the next year. Look, none of them are first team ready (maybe Petrasso, maybe not) but some of them are now great options off the bench that have already made their mistakes and can now learn from veterans on how to get better. Gotta stop feeling sorry for the kids, they were in a good learning environment where they didn't get shit on for making mistakes.

That's all I remember from your post.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i reckon it's just these cross atlantic deals have a lot more red tape and details to sort out, so take more time to complete.
    For sure but agents are agents too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His reputation in the US is weighty but he seems tactically inflexible, personnel inflexible, a little temperamental and judgmental despite his reputation for being cool about things.

That scene with Mavinga was unprofessional. Bottle it up, man, it’s during a game and you’re the manager. The dude obviously has had mental health issues for years. Mocking that because you’re irritated in the moment is a bit weak-willed.

There are times when his calm during pressers impresses me. He projects confidence. But he seems to be doing nothing to correct issues on the pitch.

I’m not saying the fullbacks move in the offseason was long-term wrong; maybe both guys are a terrible pain in the ass. But without a contingency, it was principle over survival.

Playing Nelson and Kosi Thompson day in and day out seems like principle, not survival. And if we can’t survive defensively in games we don’t give ourselves a chance to win. Neither is ready; I’m not sure Jayden ever will be, he makes so many quick, poor mistakes.

Equally, Kerr seems to have abundant physical skills, but he can’t read the game at this speed. It’s obvious watching how often he just freezes in place and sort of tries to figure out which way to step next that he’s just lost unless he has the ball at his feet.

Now, we’ve all discussed the fact that we know they’re not ready. It’s blooding them as backups, right?

But… what about the other guys at TFCII who frequently show better than this, like Franklin and Rothrock? They may be less physically gifted but mentally they’re miles above the three guys who start every game for us.

Is that some political machination where he’s been told he has to play the kids so they can get value out of them? Or is that just a stubborn self-belief that he can crush coal into diamonds, in short enough order to help our team?

Why, when he looked so good central early in the season, did we move Kosi Thompson to fullback? He’s clearly utterly out of his depth. Chung was out of his depth in terms of positioning and consistency but at least he could defend consistently.

Why, if they know Chris is having deep personal problems, is he starting ahead of McNaughton, who has actually shown reasonably well this year? (And given that Mavinga played most of his career before us at left back, why didn’t we consider moving him there as both a help to the team temporarily and a comfort to the player, who is clearly in no head space to play isolated centrally).

Why does Michael play every minute despite pretty mediocre output and defensive flaws caused by his speed? Why did we not land at least one competent veteran central midfielder in the offseason to shore up the spine?

Sure, he effectively got the shaft on Salcedo, but our defense has no organization, at all. People don’t seem to know how to communicate on the field, so they don’t move as a unit, exposing gaps and making it too easy to beat the trap.

I see the obvious benefits of his self-belief and patience, and his resume shows that at the right club, it works. So I’m not going to start throwing out invectives about him being a terrible coach.

But so far, this seems more like his flame-out at Chivas USA than any of the successes. That was also a young club in build mode and it didn’t work there, either.

The most glaring, concerning thing about BB right now is that I’m suspecting he is arrogant. I say that only because we’ve had a couple of games where we did things slightly differently out of necessity — such as playing Priso, who has true DM skills on closing quickly and the tackle, even if we’ve used him as an eight — and we’ve looked great.

The game against Montreal was an example. We played with Priso holding and it made an enormous difference to have one of the three midfielders always back. An enormous difference. He broke up transitions for 60 minutes.

But Ralph comes across as a strong personality. And I suspect he was seen by BB as arrogant which, perhaps ironically, he really doesn’t like. That he was our best midfielder for two of the three games in which he was effective didn’t seem to enter the equation.

Neither did the fact that when Michael was injured in 2020 and we played a central two of Delgado/Osorio… the team went right back to being Supporters Shield contenders. It made that much difference, having mobility centrally and a dedicated defender.

So… I dunno. I am unconvinced. I feel like we have a guy who does well with ONE kind of team, that he can motivate, and where they’re of a high enough skill level already that he doesn’t really need to worry as much tactically or across the depth of the roster.

It does not feel like the right recipe for fixing this.

Now, should he suddenly land Bernardeschi and a DP centre half, all bets are off. Take the kids off and put competent professionals on the field and we’d probably make the playoffs because… they’re competent professionals.

But any coach, anywhere could do that. Literally. Even a bad coach will win with a team full of the league’s best players, as long as they’re there to win.

What I want to know is why more isn’t being done now. Why we’re just trying to hammer the same round pegs into squares holes.

Sure some of the TFCII kids aren’t going to make it much beyond that. But some of them have potential, they’re just a couple of years older and havent’ had a shot yet. Or their talent isn’t recognized, a ala Jacen Russel-Rowe.

I simply don’t believe Kobe Franklin, who is only 19, wouldn’t be doing better than Thompson, and he’s earned his shot by being USL defender of the year finalist. Thompson isn’t even trained as a fullback, and it shows.

Equally, Kerr was playing college ball, and not dominating, just impressing. Again, it seems a narrative: prove we can turn TFC youth players into MLS diamonds.

Does anyone not think Russell-Rowe would’ve looked pretty good up top for us last night on that right side? We just let his rights go. THis season. With no players.

That screams of “certain attitudes aren’t welcome here.” Which… fine, I get it, nobody likes an arrogant young dick or a guy who exudes ‘tude. But that talent has to be respected; that’s both biology and reality.

Kerr was playing college ball last year and not dominating. How on God’s green Earth is that ready for MLS? Perhaps, in being around so long, BB has lost sight of the growth in the league. MLS is rated globally as the 16th most difficult professional football league, it’s not a kickabout league any more.

I’m not even sure what the guy’s best position is. The week earlier, although he was technically up top, he sat back in the midfield for most of the game and had his best game of the year, leading the team with a goal, an assist and three tackles. So… play him as a central midfielder, maybe? It’s the only spot he has excelled in, effectively.

So, I don’t feel confident. I feel like even if we get the parts to start winning, the formula for sustained success isn’t in this model. It doesn’t feel right.
    Or it’s possible that the whole structure from academy to the first team is so broken from Manning/Curtis and predecessors that Bob only agreed to come if he could break the whole thing down and rebuild. Sounds like a pretty extreme scenario but could be a Hail Mary from Manning in order to move on from the TFC presidency on a high note. If nothing else, Manning seems like the corporate survivor type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so you don't think he has sources well positioned to comment on transfers in the club?

he's got every major move right.
    Show me one that wasn’t reported by Fabrizio Romano or another Euro journalist first. Those guys are associates of the agents negotiating for the players, which is why they get anything of value at all (although probably also a lot of trial balloons and things designed to manipulate process, not inform).

No, I don’t think he has sources well positioned at TFC. If you understood how hard developing sources is, you’d know that it can take years to develop ONE good source at a private company. Often even that takes guile: finding out who internally has an axe to grind but doesn’t want to leave or lie; finding out who is venal or ambitious enough to leak info that hurts their job competitors.

People don’t just start leaking shit like it was nothing. Their jobs are at stake, generally.

Do I have ANY indication from his work (which seems to be entirely covering TFC for blogs) that he can develop sources? Hell no, not reliable ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Or it’s possible that the whole structure from academy to the first team is so broken from Manning/Curtis and predecessors that Bob only agreed to come if he could break the whole thing down and rebuild. Sounds like a pretty extreme scenario but could be a Hail Mary from Manning in order to move on from the TFC presidency on a high note. If nothing else, Manning seems like the corporate survivor type.
    Yeah, maybe that’s the intention. I’m just not sure it seems to make sense the way it’s playing out.

Am I wrong about Nelson and Kerr and THompson? Are they close to a breakthrough? I don’t see it. There are 19- and 20-year olds starting all over this league now that seem much more consistent.

I’m not sure I buy that a coach would play them to prove a point to the front office that they’re not ready, or that sort of scenario. More like “this is what we’ve got, this is what we work with.” But even there, it seems too strident, too based in the notion he can teach them very quickly to adapt to, say, a completely new position, and at a professional level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone got some fresh rumors so we can discuss that rather than whether a reporter/rumor monger/tweeter is accurate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, maybe that’s the intention. I’m just not sure it seems to make sense the way it’s playing out.

Am I wrong about Nelson and Kerr and THompson? Are they close to a breakthrough? I don’t see it. There are 19- and 20-year olds starting all over this league now that seem much more consistent.

I’m not sure I buy that a coach would play them to prove a point to the front office that they’re not ready, or that sort of scenario. More like “this is what we’ve got, this is what we work with.” But even there, it seems too strident, too based in the notion he can teach them very quickly to adapt to, say, a completely new position, and at a professional level.
    My thoughts were more along the lines of: Does Bob not value previous assessments of talent and is committed to finding the true state of affairs?
    I know it’s a bit of a leap, but it could be informed by what Michael has seen over the past few years. I know if I wanted to build a legacy for me and my son, I would try to root out any issues that would threaten my vision. Unfortunately, I think that does take a lot of personal belief, something that easily bleeds into arrogance, even for the most balanced of personalities.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 07-14-2022 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone got some fresh rumors so we can discuss that rather than whether a reporter/rumor monger/tweeter is accurate?
    There seems to be nothing out there.

Whoever they’re talking to, they’re doing a good job of keeping it under wraps.

If the leak/guesswork about MAK (he was speculated on here based on the ‘national team’ player comment a month ago, so who knows) actually made negotiations tougher, I suspect they will also have cracked down internally to prevent a repeat.

At this point, just judging by the free agent selection listed on transfermarkt, they’ll have a tough time signing a defender without paying a transfer fee or making a trade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, just the comment from Manuel Veth the other day that he heard another Italian is being looked at. Not sure if that means instead of Berna, or as well as.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the crux of the problem right now is the players aren't good enough.

we're playing games with 4 kids and 0 dps, it's not surprising that we're not playing well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    My thoughts were more along the lines of: Does Bob not trait previous assessments of talent and is committed to finding the true state of affairs?
    I know it’s a bit of a leap, but it could be informed by what Michael has seen over the past few years. I know if I wanted to build a legacy for me and my son, I would try to root out any issues that would threaten my vision. Unfortunately, I think that does take a lot of personal belief, something that easily bleeds into arrogance, even for the most balanced of personalities.
    Yeah, we have to count on Michael having the right perspective.

I don’t know if he does. He famously once approached Clint Dempsey to get him onboard a USMNT plot to get Klinsmann fired but Dempsey told him to bugger off. He also had a Twitter feud with Jimmy Conrad that went on for several years due to Bradley’s alleged sensitivity to criticism.

He seems like a polymath, in that he speaks multiple languages, is a big reader. But guys like that can also be more intellectually focussed on retention of information than comprehension of same, due to the compartmentalized nature of neurological functions.

He’s very tough to read. Neither, however, seems to lack confidence.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-14-2022 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    These convos should happen in a bar - so I'll try my best to counter your concerns:

Re: Tactically inflexible:
    I think Bob is being tactically inflexible for a reason and I kind of agree with it. Wins are not important right now. that is not what this season is about. This season is about laying the foundation for the next 5 years. Why would he incorporate tactics and players that don't add to what he is building on. That's just a waste of time. He knew back in January that in the next 2-3 windows he would get the players he asked for that could easily slot into the system he is building. It makes more sense to train the guys he has on the system he wants to play so that when these reinforcements do come in, there isn't a transition period away from the band-aid tactics and into the system he ultimately wants. Short term pain for long term gain. Makes for a strong team

RE:Priso
    He wasn't ready. He won't be ready to play at the level we need with the consistency that we need for another 2-3 years at least. That position is too crucial to rely on a 19 year old kid to grow into. If we want to return to being a powerhouse club, We don't have 2-3+ years to figure out if he's the real deal or not. Jonathan Osorio made his first team debut in 2013. it wasn't until 2016...maybe even 2017 that we all said "This guy is 100% a starter in this team. Don't forget, he was still fighting for a position in 2017 with Delgado and Cooper. he wasn't a lock. I don't see anything more special in Priso than what Oso had. If anything I think Oso was a stronger/more mature player when he first arrived. So I don't see Priso maturing any faster than 2-3 years minimum. Swapping him for MAK was perfect. We got a guy who is a league leader at this position and is only 27 years old, and he knows how to play in Bob's system, so there's no transition period needed.

RE: Bleeding the kids
    They got an amazing opportunity to show what they bring to the table. They were in an environment where making mistakes wasn't going to cost them their spot on the first team. Where else can you get that kind of experience? Where you make a critical mistake in the match and you are not sent back to reserves for the next year. Look, none of them are first team ready (maybe Petrasso, maybe not) but some of them are now great options off the bench that have already made their mistakes and can now learn from veterans on how to get better. Gotta stop feeling sorry for the kids, they were in a good learning environment where they didn't get shit on for making mistakes.

That's all I remember from your post.
    I agree with this for the most part especially with the tactical inflexability. I always saw it this way. This is what we're going to play and the kids will either win spots are keep them warm until replacements arrive that can play the system. Doing bandaid treatments to scrape out results might have looked better on the table for now but then we wouldn't know if these kids can play what we're going to play. Also it silenced the "Nelson is almost ready for a big Euro move and to start for the CMNT" gibberish so that's a bonus.

As for Priso, I get it and it makes sense but I would have preferred to just give the Rapids Ayo as they requested. That being said Priso hasn't showed much more than Nelsen did when he was pronounced to be the next Euro bound player so who knows really?

This season I am not happy with much of anything but I see point and it's good that it's becoming clear who isn't making the cut without anything being glossed over by becoming a 5-4-1 bunkering team or something like that. If we did something like that, as Perez did last year and we had Bono in net, it might equal him being extended when he doesn't deserve it. So in this case I choose hard to swallow Darwinism.