Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NF-FC View Post
    Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Portland, St. Paul,and St. Louis

Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, and NY2 can go to hell

Forgot the Minnesota area...bring back the kicks!! St Louis is already a gimme since they lost out the last two times. Vancouver needs to get the stadium issue done once and for all or miss out, BC place is not exceptable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teams Closer to THE CENTER of MLS!! TORONTO!

ROCHESTER NY 2hrs
    DETRIOT 3HRS
    OTTAWA 4HRS
    MONTREAL 5hrs
    PITTSBURG 5hrs

Hop skip and a jump! .. would make for some road trips!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets not forget Milwaukee...yahoo sports certainly didn't
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal...

The stadium and support are already there...

Why go to a city that "promises" a stadium, and "hopes to build" support, when you have a city that already has both...

Saputo would need to expand, but the stadium was built for it - and would be done before playing their 1st game...

Carts...
    Last edited by Carts; 06-25-2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: just spaced so paragraphs out...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver, St. Louis 2011
    Montreal, Atlanta 2012
    Miami, NY2 2017

Vancouver - big organization in BC - all levels of USL
    St.Louis - ready now needs lead time to build organization
    Montreal - Expand stadium and increase ticket sales (not Comps)
    Atlanta - 8th largest TV market in US (finishes 1-10)
    Miami - MLS seems to want to return (not sure about this one)
    NY2 - always been in the plan not going to change that (bring back the COSMOS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be shocked if Detroit was seriously considered for an MLS franchise, with the way things are going there now. They can't even put people in the seats at Red Wings games because the economy is so poor.

Personally, I think it would be a shame if Montreal and Vancouver don't get teams. I heard on the CBC that they wanted to cap the league at 20 teams, though, and they might not be first in line.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toonarmy View Post
    I would be shocked if Detroit was seriously considered for an MLS franchise, with the way things are going there now. They can't even put people in the seats at Red Wings games because the economy is so poor.

Personally, I think it would be a shame if Montreal and Vancouver don't get teams. I heard on the CBC that they wanted to cap the league at 20 teams, though, and they might not be first in line.

No one is arguing Vancouver won't support a team..the stadium issue is the killer, and if Vancouver doesnt get in soon it maight be 2015 or later for the caps, will the owner wait that long?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS should stop expanding for at least 5 years to allow the new teams to develop. The league will get to waterdown and it will become crap!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shouldn't be more then 20 teams in top tier.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mednus View Post
    Montreal, Atlanta 2012
    Miami, NY2 2017

no 2nd for ny city in till the can sell 20,000 season ticket for 2 to 3 years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    shouldn't be more then 20 teams in top tier.
    You're right, no more then 20 teams, if other city's keep expressing interest for mls, Don Garber should make a MLS2. Take the teams from USL with the best support, and put them in a league with other city's that want an mls team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard that Tobermory is pretty multicultural and could support an MLS team with all the locals and tourists/end sarcasm

Id bet St Louis, Portland, New York 2, MAYBE Montreal and MAYBE MAYBE Vancouver. If Sapputo gets his ish together and really really pushes the MLS AND does something in the USL i can see Montreal dipping in before New York 2 (and MAYBE Portland).

Regardless, US teams are going to be a priority especially ones that either a) have a big history with soccer and/or b) were part of the original MLS plan. The states (and most of Canada) just still isnt ready for soccer, its a shame but a fact. There are too many other sports supported in a bigger fashion. I dont blame them and in fact i think its smart. You wanna see teams turn out like KC and Columbus? Put em in the South and midwest (as well as out of the 3 major canadian cities, im not kidding, Canada is multicultural in the major cities and white as fuck outside of them, not unlike the US, even where its mixed, Soccer is still less embraced then the 4 major sports).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why a second new york team, they dont get great support for the red bulls? Why make another team

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mednus View Post
    Montreal, Atlanta 2012
    Miami, NY2 2017

Not a bad analysis.

Miami supposedly had a deadline that ended on June 5th where they were to put forth a group who could afford a team, apparently the city was for it but couldnt find any buyers. Id say that Miami is out (as is any other Florida team).

Atlanta doesnt even support any of its other teams i dunno why they would start with soccer, regardless of how big the tv market is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamplater35 View Post
    why a second new york team, they dont get great support for the red bulls? Why make another team
    I agree 100%, the argument is that IF they put a team in the city ALL the cultures/groups that follow soccer would rally around this team as opposed to the New Jersey based team with notoriously terrible marketing.

Im not buying it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St Louis needs to have a team. Its like having a basketball league and not having a team in New York. Soccer has roots and history in St Louis that they dont have in...Miami...or Dallas...or Boston. MLS needs to put a team in St Louis, end of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I agree 100%, the argument is that IF they put a team in the city ALL the cultures/groups that follow soccer would rally around this team as opposed to the New Jersey based team with notoriously terrible marketing.

Im not buying it.
    They should have made the new red bulls park in manhattan, well i guess that would have been really expensive, why not queens or brooklyn then? Nobody wants to go out to jersey these days

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should have made the new red bulls park in manhattan, well i guess that would have been really expensive, why not queens or brooklyn then? Nobody wants to go out to jersey these days
    No clue, seems like an obvious move, no?
    Could be price of land?
    Really dunno, that club is terribly managed even under new ownership (which is usually the opposite after Lalas leaves)...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunno anything about San Diego (cept its close to the border). Seems to be brought up alot and favored as a new destination for Chivas... Itd be a tough thing to get people down there that support a Mexican team to switch over to an American team... May be able to convince people to watch the sport... really dont know about San Diego as a market, they really dont have anything (cept a zoo) down there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would question San Diego's success. It is obvious the Mexican population in LA hasn't taken to the team, and there is certainly more Mexicans in LA then SD, 100 miles closer won't mean much. And I highly doubt they will get a downtown stadium with the price of land downtown and the current structures being built. And if they not going to market to Mexicans, the other main population in the area is Navy and Marines...not sure they are the target market for a Mexican team.
    Animals Eaten:

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New York won't get a second team. I'm tired of having to keep explaining it, so if anyone disagrees, I suggest reading up on the Red Bull's current attendance numbers.

And after seeing the dreadfully small crowd at Swangard tonight in the game against the Impact, I have my doubts we'll see Vancouver get a team either.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    New York won't get a second team. I'm tired of having to keep explaining it, so if anyone disagrees, I suggest reading up on the Red Bull's current attendance numbers.

And after seeing the dreadfully small crowd at Swangard tonight in the game against the Impact, I have my doubts we'll see Vancouver get a team either.
    thought tonighst game would have had a good crowd too....but lets see what BMO gets Monday~!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The argument is that because theyre based in New Jersey, real New Yorkers don't care/cant make the trek.

A team in the heart of NYC would get more fans based on being an actual New York team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miami and Montreal
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Miami and Montreal
    Miami has a lot of latinos, but they're the cuban baseball loving variety. Not sure that footy would do well there, even though their first franchise failed more due to managerial incompetence.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Miami has a lot of latinos, but they're the cuban baseball loving variety. Not sure that footy would do well there, even though their first franchise failed more due to managerial incompetence.
    Agreed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do any of you guys who draw these conclusions about Miami know the city, or the history of soccer in South Florida?

1) They're not that into baseball down there - Marlins attendance is not something to be bragging about. Drive around: all you see are soccer fields, not baseball fields
    2) The interest in soccer in Miami exceeds that of any city in North America, by far (including Toronto and Montreal). Ask Tyrone Marshall (I have) - he played for the Fusion, and he'll tell you that there's no place like Miami in terms of soccer culture in North America.
    3) The Fusion failed because they played in a high school stadium 30 miles from Miami, and had truly horrible ownership. Also MLS was a very different league in 2001 (back then, there was nowhere near the number of players from South America, no Beckham/Blanco, the league itself was on the verge of failure, etc)

Miami is 65% hispanic/latino. Only half are Cuban - there are large Honduran, Nicarauguan, Haitian and Dominican communities. There are also sizable, wealthy enclaves from every country in Central and South America. Miami has some of the best Peruvian and Argentine restaurants in the world.

Build a well-located SSS in South Florida, and watch what would happen!

Just to be clear, Montreal has many of the same positives in terms of demographics, soccer interest, etc....and although it's a smaller market, they have the stadium, so I'd rank Montreal ahead of Miami.

But overall, these two cities are country miles in front of the others, in terms of having natural interest and support.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-26-2008 at 01:18 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since Montreal and Vancouver are a given, I voted Ottawa.