Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Match Day 3 - TFC @ Columbus Sat March 12 1:30pm - Surrounded by memories

How I still want you
    And nobody else

Have at It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we don't fix the defensive issues, we're looking at another long day. I don't think we win this one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope everyone explained to the new guys on the team how important the Trillium Cup is....we can't afford to lose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to make a few changes to help out our D. My line up suggestion: 3-4-1-2
    Westberg
    O'Neil Salcedo Mavinga
    MacNaughton Priso Osorio Petrasso
    Pozuelo
    Jimenez Shaffelburg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    We need to make a few changes to help out our D. My line up suggestion: 3-4-1-2
    Westberg
    O'Neil Salcedo Mavinga
    MacNaughton Priso Osorio Petrasso
    Pozuelo
    Jimenez Shaffelburg
    This is pretty much what I would do but maybe JMR instead of MacNaughton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has to be 3 at the back: O'Neill, Salcedo, Mavinga.
    Then I'm happy with Petrasso and MR as the wing backs.
    With Priso in. front of them, that should fix the defence.
    Then another goal from Jimenez and we win 1-0!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but I think we are all dreaming, if we think Bradley senior will not start Bradley junior.
    In my eyes BB will prove he's a really unbiased coach, if he'll not start Michael, but this won't happen (at least not these weeks).
    (I hope I will need to eat my words, lol...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A draw will be a great result for TFC, and if we play at the level we've done it in the first match, we may achieve that.
    Otherwise it's a clear Columbus victory.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Sorry, but I think we are all dreaming, if we think Bradley senior will not start Bradley junior.
    In my eyes BB will prove he's a really unbiased coach, if he'll not start Michael, but this won't happen (at least not these weeks).
    (I hope I will need to eat my words, lol...)
    I tend to agree but for a different reason. I was suspect of Priso’s full 90 fitness pre injury, he struggled last year, and if you watched, a couple of minutes before the the injury he looked gassed. The worst thing we can do is rush him, if we truly believe he is on of our future Midfield leaders.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do have the sinking feeling that Priso needs to be eased in gently. Beyond the general fitness required as a starter, I'm not sure if he has the in-game mental fitness required against a hard-pressing Columbus at the beginning of the game (and most MLS teams are like that now). I wonder if his minutes will be gradually increased. His fitness last year was poor, and I can't imagine it's better after a long injury layoff. He has the skills and mentality to play the role, but he's got to get himself back to that level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is pretty much what I would do but maybe JMR instead of MacNaughton.
    The reason I picked MacNaughton over JMR is although offensively JMR is better, I think we need to focus on defense for now and Petrasso and MacNaughton are both defenders. Crosses in the box from live play, free kicks and corners is where JMR and Shaffelberg were exposed. Plus getting caught out of position too far forward. A 3-4 -1-2 formation easily changes to a 5-2-1-2.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    The reason I picked MacNaughton over JMR is although offensively JMR is better, I think we need to focus on defense for now and Petrasso and MacNaughton are both defenders. Crosses in the box from live play, free kicks and corners is where JMR and Shaffelberg were exposed. Plus getting caught out of position too far forward. A 3-4 -1-2 formation easily changes to a 5-2-1-2.
    I put him in because I think they have to develop him a bit to sell him on for more money and his errors are part of what we have to deal with while he learns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I do have the sinking feeling that Priso needs to be eased in gently. Beyond the general fitness required as a starter, I'm not sure if he has the in-game mental fitness required against a hard-pressing Columbus at the beginning of the game (and most MLS teams are like that now). I wonder if his minutes will be gradually increased. His fitness last year was poor, and I can't imagine it's better after a long injury layoff. He has the skills and mentality to play the role, but he's got to get himself back to that level.
    Not sure where the idea his fitness is poor is coming from? He barely had any full games prior to being injured and he looked pretty good in those outings. Certainly he’s no less suited to play 65-70 minutes than the other options we have available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not sure where the idea his fitness is poor is coming from? He barely had any full games prior to being injured and he looked pretty good in those outings. Certainly he’s no less suited to play 65-70 minutes than the other options we have available.
    Yeah, I don’t see this either. I was at the match he first replaced Bradley and he looked brilliant, the solution to the problem, and not lacking fitness. At least 65-70 mins, for sure.

BB mentioned early on that MB should be played like the deep lying Xavi “spraying balls around”. It might need a major shift in thinking/heart from him to see that Micheal should often be sitting on the bench.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 03-08-2022 at 12:36 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Yeah, I don’t see this either. I was at the match he first replaced Bradley and he looked brilliant, the solution to the problem, and not lacking fitness. At least 65-70 mins, for sure.

BB mentioned early on that MB should be played like the deep lying Xavi “spraying balls around”. It might need a major shift in thinking/heart from him to see that Micheal should often be sitting on the bench.
    As Bushmancan also mentioned above, I remember Priso struggling with fitness pre-injury. Would have to go back to earlier game stats or game threads to confirm. In any case, he's been off a long time. Makes sense to bring up his numbers gradually.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't disputing quality, concerned about a full 90, that's all. I tried to find the clip about 5 minutes before injury he looked tired - not coaching in hindsight but thought Perez should have taken him off... F--kin' ref made him run through and complete the play, on the clear offside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Wasn't disputing quality, concerned about a full 90, that's all. I tried to find the clip about 5 minutes before injury he looked tired - not coaching in hindsight but thought Perez should have taken him off... F--kin' ref made him run through and complete the play, on the clear offside.
    I would essentially guarantee Gustavo Bou stomping on his ankle the play prior caused the injury. Everyone points to the offside play but clearing a ball off the line or general fatigue doesn’t cause you to break a bone.

The fracture was likely there and with a bit more weight / stress on it, the worst case scenario happened. Ideally he would have gone off immediately after the tackle by Bou but hind sight is 20/20.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would essentially guarantee Gustavo Bou stomping on his ankle the play prior caused the injury. Everyone points to the offside play but clearing a ball off the line or general fatigue doesn’t cause you to break a bone.

The fracture was likely there and with a bit more weight / stress on it, the worst case scenario happened. Ideally he would have gone off immediately after the tackle by Bou but hind sight is 20/20.
    Yeah I thought it was the stomp as well and could not figure how anyone was blaming the play continuing as the cause. He was already hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has the makings of a pretty tough game for TFC. Coming off a tough match and going on the road while still working on the identity of this new squad. A draw would be a very good result in this one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo is now out, suspended 1 game and fined for "serious foul play" by the disciplinary committee for a tackle that was already video reviewed during the game when it happened.

I hate this league sometimes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo suspended

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/toron...ious-foul-play

Looking at the video - can see why

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t entirely disagree but think about the comedy of inconsistencies here: the linesman who was right next to the play said no foul. The ref, who was further away said yellow. VAR said it was Red. The official who reviewed the tape after flagging by VAR said it wasn’t a red but rather still a yellow.

MLS referees among themselves can’t even agree how to call the game, how are the players to understand it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo suspension shows how broken the referee system is. To suspend a guy when the linesman 1 foot away says no foul is a huge issue. May as well say “our refs aren’t good enough”

Regardless I’ll be at the game. If the game is close I’ll pop in to report. If it’s how I expect it to go, I’ll be too drunk to report.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the Salcedo suspension points out is how shittily this front office constructed the roster and addressed obvious deficiencies over the past two years. Stupid MLS refs is an expectation, so is a shitty roster when you have a shit for brains front office system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t entirely disagree but think about the comedy of inconsistencies here: the linesman who was right next to the play said no foul. The ref, who was further away said yellow. VAR said it was Red. The official who reviewed the tape after flagging by VAR said it wasn’t a red but rather still a yellow.

MLS referees among themselves can’t even agree how to call the game, how are the players to understand it?
    Exactly. Total horseshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rules cited by the review committee in the link above say it has to be a clear and obvious error. By definition, given that the Referee, the linesman and VAR had wildly different opinions, it cannot be Clear and Obvious. Also, this committee shouldn’t be reviewing any action that has already been VAR reviewed - enough already

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the rules:

The incident in question must be, in the unanimous opinion of the Committee from all available evidence: a clear and unequivocal red card; and egregious or repeat behavior in nature, and/or such that the MLS Disciplinary Committee must act to protect player safety or the integrity of the game; and/or clear and obvious simulation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had already put a large wager on Columbus to win this match. Without Salcedo I think this one gets ugly for us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zelarayan has started out quite hot. I fully expect a loss here but would be pleasantly surprised with a draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Zelarayan has started out quite hot. I fully expect a loss here but would be pleasantly surprised with a draw.
    It would be good to see Jimenez get another goal, get a scoring streak going. Something like that can keep heads up when they're still trying to gel.