Page 71 of 191 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Meeting is Rome seems to be re-scheduled for the 10th now, Manning tested postitive for Covid

https://www.tuttonapoli.net/in-primo...ovid-19-491643
    if true...we are now getting the tfc news from Italian news outlets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    I think this is fairly accurate especially the part where CMNT turned heads. If 1.1m watched live then a big percentage watched on demand or watched highlights. The swing from 338,000 to 1.1m two games later featuring the same teams does it for me. 300k people expected to lose and when it never happened, 800k more people got word and had to tune in. That’s a definite hype and marketing reason.

Anyways I hope all these rumors come to fruition or they better get a few more crisis negotiators on the Ontario government’s payroll as people will be looking for a ledge. You can also hedge that if some of these rumors don’t pan out Manning gone. You can’t pump the tires this much and survive coming out empty handed.
    If Canada beat Honduras and Panama don't beat Costa Rica on Jan 27th I'm really looking forward to see the TV viewership numbers four days later when Canada plays USA in Hamilton within sniffing difference of qualifying ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    If Canada beat Honduras and Panama don't beat Costa Rica on Jan 27th I'm really looking forward to see the TV viewership numbers four days later when Canada plays USA in Hamilton within sniffing difference of qualifying ...
    The viewership will be negative one as I will be there in person freezing my sack off most likely

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    The viewership will be negative one as I will be there in person freezing my sack off most likely
    -2, will also be present, will also have a frozen sack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably more of an Inter Miami signing, but Luis Suarez is supposedly coming to MLS when his contract expires in June aswell.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mancini seems more open minded to MLS than many former Italian managers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Probably more of an Inter Miami signing, but Luis Suarez is supposedly coming to MLS when his contract expires in June aswell.
    I already heard they were interested and that's not surprising.

I however wouldn't be surprised to see Ronaldo end up there. He's going nowhere other than the Europa League (or worse) with United and he is starting to look like the years are catching up. Inter Beckham SC might just wait until he is available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy to Colo Colo? He liked two Colo-Colo tweets and is now following the official Colo-Colo twitter account.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I can't imagine Jozy wanting to do that.

Seems to me his best spot is still in MLS. If he doesn't stay here, he goes to a good MLS team. I would happily take him on $500K if I was Portland or Columbus or Atlanta....
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Mancini seems more open minded to MLS than many former Italian managers.
    Why would any Italian manager be concerned with MLS? The league has never had an Italian in the national team fold, Seba was not, Insigne is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Inter Miami screw up all the time in the transfer market but one trick TFC could learn from them is to try and start turning the tide a bit and sign a young European player on the cheap. Whenever we spend money on a European player it's usually for a star but there's a tremendous amount of value to be had over there if they look a little deeper. A couple of years ago they signed 23 year old Lewis Morgan from Celtic for $440k. He was their 2020 MVP. Now they've done an Inter Miami thing and sent him to NYRB for a modest profit, selling him for $1.2M. I watched more Inter Miami games on TV than I probably should have since Morgan is an ex Paisley Buddie so I knew all about him from his days with St Mirren. You could see he was going to be a decent MLS level player even back when he was 17 years old. This isn't meant to be a Lewis Morgan fanboy post though. It's just an example of the type of good players that are available ten a penny in Europe. Most European teams seem to like "swooping in for" foreign players, particularly lower division or bottom/mid table top domestic league teams ... almost to the point that they can't see the forest for the trees and play those sort of "imports" to the detriment of their own domestic prospects. If TFC want to climb the ladder as a world ranked football team, maybe they should consider beefing up their European scouting team or even better ... play the poor man's "City Group" and buy a team or two on the cheap over there and use them to spy on "value prospects" like the Morgans of the world for TFC in the respective leagues those teams play in. A lot of those types of players don't make much money over there so enticing them to help bolster the bottom half of the roster along with our own academy prospects wouldn't be a bad idea
    Last edited by buddies; 01-03-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Why would any Italian manager be concerned with MLS? The league has never had an Italian in the national team fold, Seba was not, Insigne is
    He actually is pretty aware of this issue I think.

Mancini was at Man City when their affiliate NYCFC signed Pirlo. Who was subsequently dropped by the Italian MNT (but of course Pirlo's looked like he belonged in a wheelchair while he was in NY).
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    That's not quite true. Seba and Pirlo got caps while playing here - they weren't regulars granted.

Roberto Donadoni got called up for Euro 96 and played in all three group games while playing for the....Metrostars

He had just signed for the Metrostars a few months earlier so a little similar to the potential Insigne signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all assuming Italy get by Portugal to make the WC. All else equal you’d call them the favourite, but no guarantees

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    Inter Miami screw up all the time in the transfer market but one trick TFC could learn from them is to try and start turning the tide a bit and sign a young European player on the cheap. Whenever we spend money on a European player it's usually for a star but there's a tremendous amount of value to be had over there if they look a little deeper. A couple of years ago they signed 23 year old Lewis Morgan from Celtic for $440k. He was their 2020 MVP. Now they've done an Inter Miami thing and sent him to NYRB for a modest profit, selling him for $1.2M. I watched more Inter Miami games on TV than I probably should have since Morgan is an ex Paisley Buddie so I knew all about him from his days with St Mirren. You could see he was going to be a decent MLS level player even back when he was 17 years old. This isn't meant to be a Lewis Morgan fanboy post though. It's just an example of the type of good players that are available ten a penny in Europe. Most European teams seem to like "swooping in for" foreign players, particularly lower division or bottom/mid table top domestic league teams ... almost to the point that they can't see the forest for the trees and play those sort of "imports" to the detriment of their own domestic prospects. If TFC want to climb the ladder as a world ranked football team, maybe they should consider beefing up their European scouting team or even better ... play the poor man's "City Group" and buy a team or two on the cheap over there and use them to spy on "value prospects" like the Morgans of the world for TFC in the respective leagues those teams play in. A lot of those types of players don't make much money over there so enticing them to help bolster the bottom half of the roster along with our own academy prospects wouldn't be a bad idea
    True but.. while every region has their "diamonds in the rough" that would look nice after a good polishing, the risk of overpaying for a player in Europe is high, and the chance of landing real quality compared to other regions (like South or Central America) is lower. Not every player is a Lewis Morgan. I'm not saying it's not worthwhile having a scout out there, but I still have nightmares about Preki's 2010 Eastern European riff-raff roster. Raivis Hscanovics in defense anyone?
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-03-2022 at 05:32 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If I had to guess at what is going on:

-I think the bosses got their heads turned by the momentum in CMNT ratings (158,000 for the Mexico game at the Azteca, 338,000 vs Panama, 713,000 vs CR, 1.153 M for Mexico game in Edmonton)
    -I think Manning read the room, he is a canny operator, who had a damn close call on the Curtis fiasco, and knows he doesn't have that long a runway here anymore anyway
    -I think he made a battlefield decision to go big and totally switch up his messaging/approach, and become the bald Tim Leiweke

Or something like that
    Logical

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I already heard they were interested and that's not surprising.

I however wouldn't be surprised to see Ronaldo end up there. He's going nowhere other than the Europa League (or worse) with United and he is starting to look like the years are catching up. Inter Beckham SC might just wait until he is available.

Ronaldo will not set foot in the US due to legal reasons.

At one point I thought maybe TFC might spring for Messi but the days of buying REALLY old retiring players are probably over, thankfully.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-03-2022 at 06:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I can't imagine Jozy wanting to do that.

Seems to me his best spot is still in MLS. If he doesn't stay here, he goes to a good MLS team. I would happily take him on $500K if I was Portland or Columbus or Atlanta....
    I agree with you. Santiago is nice, but looking at Colo Colo's roster I couldn't imagine they shell out for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like all that is missing is the signature and photo op which we'll have to wait a week for. Insigne has agreed to our terms. Napoli fans are writing their goodbyes on Twitter after this news. Some are quite nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there's a good chance we could trade our SuperDraft pick for GAM. If we're really going to try to bring in all these guys from Italy, they can't all be DPs so we're going to need it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ronaldo will not set foot in the US due to legal reasons.

At one point I thought maybe TFC might spring for Messi but the days of buying REALLY old retiring players are probably over, thankfully.
    Messi has been linked with Miami a lot. He is believed to want to live there in retirement.
    https://www.local10.com/sports/2021/...or-73-million/

There are more rich Argentines in Miami than in Buenos Aires, and it'd be a lot safer for someone like him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I agree with you. Santiago is nice, but looking at Colo Colo's roster I couldn't imagine they shell out for him.
    That's probably why he's playing hardball with his buyout package.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    (You know, I'm looking at that emoticon & it does remind me a lot of Seba talking to a ref)
    Yes!... I would like to see that at least one more time; but, not for more than 7.5HK, preferably 5HK.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-03-2022 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Messi has been linked with Miami a lot. He is believed to want to live there in retirement.
    https://www.local10.com/sports/2021/...or-73-million/

There are more rich Argentines in Miami than in Buenos Aires, and it'd be a lot safer for someone like him.
    Yes. Historic entry point, daily flights to BA.
    I always thought there was some sort of sympathy between FIFA and MLS brain trusts to get Messi and / or Ronaldo here before NAWC26; similar deal and effect of Wayne Gretzky to a US NHL team. One more convergence factor to push the beautiful game's growth and general acceptance in the US / CAN marketplaces.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And...well....

Ramano doesn't do "here we go" unless its confirmed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am stunned. Holy smokes. I still can’t quite get my head around this… but I guess I don’t have too!

Five and a half years.

Whatever that salary figure, this is going to be 2x the total dollar commitment ever given to any MLS player. Probably shatters the Liga MX record too.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-04-2022 at 08:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lorenzo Insigne is a Toronto FC player. That is absolutely insane.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You love to see it.

Sure we still need to build out the rest of the roster but this is a massive signing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we can celebrate now. Is it safe to pull out the Italian wine and douse ourselves in it yet? This is MASSIVE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DAWN of a NEW ERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!