Page 122 of 191 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,660 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I have to say, a straight Soteldo for Salcedo swap really impresses me. I mean, Salcedo anchored a back line that shut Germany out at the last World Cup. He was an effective player in the Bundesliga too. On a straight soccer talent basis, he is a clear level up from Yefe. Plus Yefe's whole contract thing is just an absolute mess.

I am fine if Salcedo is a DP, he is serious quality. Hats off to Manning/Bradley.

Caveat: I don’t really understand why are Tigres selling? And why no one else in Mexico paid up? Salcedo has bounced around a fair bit… and it's not like it's obvious he will fall in love with Toronto. Risk of an unhappy player down the road is not small. But there is risk in everything…
    Salcedo told Tigres he was not going to sign another contract once his current contract expires in December. Tigres are trying to get some value and I assume don't want to help anyone in Liga MX.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say, a straight Soteldo for Salcedo swap really impresses me. I mean, Salcedo anchored a back line that shut Germany out at the last World Cup. He was an effective player in the Bundesliga too. On a straight soccer talent basis, he is a clear level up from Yefe. Plus Yefe's whole contract thing is just an absolute mess.

I am fine if Salcedo is a DP, he is serious quality. Hats off to Manning/Bradley.

Caveat: I don’t really understand why are Tigres selling? And why no one else in Mexico paid up? Salcedo has bounced around a fair bit… and it's not like it's obvious he will fall in love with Toronto. Risk of an unhappy player down the road is not small. But there is risk in everything…
    Rais M’Bolhi stood on his head against Germany in 2014 and was an epic disaster in Philadelphia. Let’s try and keep our evaluations of players within larger (and more recent) sample sizes.
    Last edited by portu; 01-16-2022 at 11:59 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post

Oh dear....its like a time capsule.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Rais M’Bolhi stood on his head against Germany in 2014 and was an epic disaster in Philadelphia. Let’s try and keep our evaluations of players within larger (and more recent) sample sizes.
    Well, fine. But I think it's kind of obvious that it's different for an Algerian MNT player who had a great game vs a Mexican MNT player that had a great game. Mexico had many choices in terms of who to put out there, and the signal of what that excellence might mean is different on a team that makes the knockout stage every time.

Plus, not having seen a lot of a player - that won’t stop me or most people here! I haven’t watched Salcedo since 2018, except in a couple of Frankfurt games I don’t remember. (In fact I got him confused at first with the Chivas defender we saw in CCL, Carlos Salcido, who I once saw play at Craven Cottage for Fulham.)

Face it, who here has really seen enough of Salcedo to have a real opinion? (There probably is somebody who has watched every Tigres game, I know..)

I certainly think that starting for Tigres and Frankfurt beats any credential in Brazil, to my main point.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-16-2022 at 12:30 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    DP and U22 Initiative are two different things

Everyone gets a max of 3 DP's young or not

Number of U22 Initiative slots drpend on:

If a Club has a vacant third Designated Player slot, the Club will have available three U22 Initiative Slots.

If a Club elects to sign a third Designated Player, the number of U22 Initiative Slots would be impacted in the following way:

• If the third Designated Player is a Young Designated Player, the club will have all three U22 Initiative Slots.
    • If the third Designated Player is age 24 or older, yet is at, or below, Maximum Targeted Allocation Money Amount ($1,612,500), the club will have all three U22 Initiative Slots.
    • If the third Designated Player is age 24 or older and is above Maximum Targeted Allocation Money Amount ($1,612,500), the club will have one U22 Initiative Slot.

Thanks mixed up Young DP with U22 initiative. Meant to say + 3 U22 players instead of Young DP. Can't keep up with the rules sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone is probably taking Sunday off. I would assume we will see an official announcement Monday or Tuesday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Oh dear....its like a time capsule.
    LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting Salcedo is a coup, he is a proper defender just under world class category. Mavinga will greatly benefit from that calming influence.

Best off-season ever!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, are we getting cash and Salcedo?

"Tigres would contribute Salcedo and a good numbers of dollars for the Toronto attacker"

https://www.am.com.mx/superdeportivo...0116-0053.html

This is from Merlo, who is probably the only reliable journalist in South America.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Wait, are we getting cash and Salcedo?

"Tigres would contribute Salcedo and a good numbers of dollars for the Toronto attacker"

https://www.am.com.mx/superdeportivo...0116-0053.html

This is from Merlo, who is probably the only reliable journalist in South America.
    That makes no sense, why would it be the Reds getting some cash, Yef has the much larger salary?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    That makes no sense, why would it be the Reds getting some cash, Yef has the much larger salary?
    But also the much longer contract. And if Bill Manning is checking Transfermarkt, a higher transfer value.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because yef has multiple years left on his contract and is younger, worth more right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yef might have a higher market value. Just a year ago we bought 75% of Yef for $6M. Tigres were looking for around $3M for Salcedo. So maybe we end up getting $1M or something for Soteldo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Relative value of the player? Salcedo has a $10M release clause but they were offering him at $3M in anticipation of losing him on a free. Soteldo is perceived as a $6-7M player in South America.

Could also be getting cash back for covering his year-two contract bonus, which he is allegedly insisting on being paid before signing with a new club.

EDIT: what noxx said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they sign another striker who is a good regular scorer I think we can declare this a slam dunk best off season ever. Manning seems to have answered Curtis' incompetence with a fairly striking display of competency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    If they sign another striker who is a good regular scorer I think we can declare this a slam dunk best off season ever. Manning seems to have answered Curtis' incompetence with a fairly striking display of competency.
    I agree. We're almost done with the "big" moves. I'm curious how we fill out the rest of the roster though - particularly with getting some depth on defense. We still only have 3 MLS caliber CBs (sorry Luke Singh) and two LB/RB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Yef might have a higher market value. Just a year ago we bought 75% of Yef for $6M. Tigres were looking for around $3M for Salcedo. So maybe we end up getting $1M or something for Soteldo?
    I thought we would lose most of that fee because I thought there was no bid on Yefe outside of Brazil. Whoops!! That looks like a worse call by me than thinking TFC wouldn’t cough up $75M for Insigne!

I mean, Tigres! Paying up for a guy on our discard pile. We really didn’t see the best of Soteldo.

I am going out of the prediction business.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-16-2022 at 05:07 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think both Salcedo and Soteldo will thrive in their new locales. Getting some extra GAM that we can use on a Robert Beric or whoever is the cherry on top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really didn’t see the best of Soteldo.
    I think Soteldo will do quite well with Tigres (just based on me watching 75% of their game last night). He won't be relied on the way he was with us - they have a pretty strong team. Plus he'll have a striker in Gignac to work off of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Getting some extra GAM that we can use on a Robert Beric or whoever is the cherry on top.
    Sadly teams don't get GAM for selling DPs. But at least MLSE gets some cash to cover the Jozy buyout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly teams don't get GAM for selling DPs. But at least MLSE gets some cash to cover the Jozy buyout.
    MLS roster rules will be the death of me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. We're almost done with the "big" moves. I'm curious how we fill out the rest of the roster though - particularly with getting some depth on defense. We still only have 3 MLS caliber CBs (sorry Luke Singh) and two LB/RB
    I certainly hope we're not done making "big" moves.

So far this offseason:

Laryea (Out)
    Mullins (Out)
    Morrow (Out)
    Soteldo (Out)
    Altidore (Out)
    Gonzalez (Out)
    Dwyer (Out)
    Zavaleta (Out)
    DeLeon (Out)
    Gallardo (Out)
    Endoh (Out)

Insigne (In) July
    O’Neill (In)
    Salcedo (In)
    Petrasso (Homegrown)

We need to sign 5-6 more players capable of playing important minutes, including at least 2 more forwards. On the bright side, we have lots of cap space, TAM, GAM, and maybe another DP spot to play with. But we are nowhere near finished making big moves.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a reminder that both Priso & Okello exist....I believe the team is counting on both of those players for huge minutes this year. I'm particular interested in what Bradley gets out of Okello.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    ...with the help of the MLSE vault. Nonetheless, I concur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    I certainly hope we're not done making "big" moves.

So far this offseason:

Laryea (Out)
    Mullins (Out) Replaced by an increased role for Perruzza
    Morrow (Out)
    Soteldo (Out) Replaced by Insigne
    Altidore (Out) Replaced by striker to come that I mentioned
    Gonzalez (Out) Replaced by Salcedo
    Dwyer (Out)
    Zavaleta (Out) Replaced by O'Neill
    DeLeon (Out) Never played, expanded role for Nelson, Priso, Okello, JMR
    Gallardo (Out) Never played
    Endoh (Out) Never played, expanded role for Nelson, Priso, Okello, JMR

Insigne (In) July
    O’Neill (In)
    Salcedo (In)
    Petrasso (Homegrown)

We need to sign 5-6 more players capable of playing important minutes, including at least 2 more forwards. On the bright side, we have lots of cap space, TAM, GAM, and maybe another DP spot to play with. But we are nowhere near finished making big moves.
    My comments in red above. I agree we still need that top striker as mentioned. Also need another RB/LB to take Richie's minutes and a 3rd CB. Those two I'd classify more as mid-tier moves rather than big moves.
    A lot of the role players (Mullins/Dwyer/Zav/DeLeon/Gallardo/Endoh) should have their minutes filled by the likes of JMR/Okello/Priso/Nelson/Shaff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can’t just axe 60% of the roster and expect not to be thrown into a rebuild for a year. Even if the players coming in are good, it takes a while to get everyone on the same page.

Doing what the club is trying here, addressing obvious weaknesses first, then seeing how the rest of the team does, makes sense. We have no idea how good or bad certain players on our roster are right now. Worst case scenario, we address certain things in the summer or next winter. Too much, too soon is not smart.

I expect a new target man and a right-sided fullback this window, as those are obvious must-haves. But the rest can wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're losing 11 players (assuming Fraser is also gone). They played 27% of our MLS minutes. The top 4 in minutes were Richie, Soteldo, Zav and Morrow. Soteldo is replaced by Insigne. Zav replaced by O'Neil. Morrow and Richie still need to be replaced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My comments in red above. I agree we still need that top striker as mentioned. Also need another RB/LB to take Richie's minutes and a 3rd CB. Those two I'd classify more as mid-tier moves rather than big moves.
    A lot of the role players (Mullins/Dwyer/Zav/DeLeon/Gallardo/Endoh) should have their minutes filled by the likes of JMR/Okello/Priso/Nelson/Shaff.
    Expanded roles for every academy player? Are you Bill Manning circa 2021? This did not work last year. It won’t this year. It’s unrealistic. We need to make legitimate depth signings that can be leaned on to fill out the roster and play spot minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Expanded roles for every academy player? Are you Bill Manning circa 2021? This did not work last year. It won’t this year. It’s unrealistic. We need to make legitimate depth signings that can be leaned on to fill out the roster and play spot minutes.
    I don't really see why we can't expect JMR/Okello/Priso/Nelson/Shaff to absorb the minutes that Dwyer/Mullins/DeLeon/Endoh played. We still have to fill up 5-7 more roster spots, so there's work to do.
    EDIT: Plus hopefully Pozuelo is playing an extra 1000 minutes this season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we need to bring in some strikers asap.