Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2.5 Million Canadians Watched Whitecaps vs. Impact

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=390161

Toronto, ON (March 12, 2012) – Saturday's highly-anticipated Major League Soccer (MLS) debut of Montreal Impact against Vancouver Whitecaps FC was the most-watched MLS game ever in Canada. Overnight data from BBM Canada confirms that an average audience of 541,000 viewers watched the all-Canadian match-up on TSN (288,000) and RDS (253,000).

Almost 2.5 million Canadians tuned in to catch some or all of the live MLS action on TSN and RDS.

MLS action continues this Saturday (March 17) on TSN, RDS, TSN Mobile TV, and Télé Mobile RDS with the Impact's home opener against Chicago Fire at Olympic Stadium. TSN soccer experts Luke Wileman and Jason deVos tee up the game during a special pre-game show at 1:30 p.m. ET.

TSN, along with RDS, are the official broadcasters of Major League Soccer (MLS) in Canada with a national broadcast package that includes 36 games featuring Montreal Impact, Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps FC. TSN also has live coverage of 22 games featuring U.S.-based teams, along with exclusive Canadian coverage of the MLS CUP Playoffs, the MLS Cup 2012 and the MLS ALL-STAR GAME.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish TSN/TSN2 had every TFC game. Would make life so much easier.

They must be thrilled with the ratings, hopefully it means more MLS soccer in the future.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadian rivalries are key to high ratings.

Now with 3 teams in MLS, ratings will be a lot higher.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow... those are impressive, and surprising numbers.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Canadian rivalries are key to high ratings.

Now with 3 teams in MLS, ratings will be a lot higher.
    This.

With teams in both the east and west, there should be more interest.

The highest rated games will likely be matches between the Canadian teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This proves Canada is taking the MLS seriously.

The first three games for the Canadian teams will have over 100,000 people in attendance and millions of viewers.

TFC: 47,700

Whitecaps: 21,000

Impact: 40,000 - 50,000?

How big can soccer get?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sky's The Limit

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol Usa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post

The first three games for the Canadian teams will have over 100,000 people in attendance and millions of viewers.

How big can soccer get?

Keep'em coming! Great news and support, now we need to keep steady stream of support!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post

How big can soccer get?
    In Canada there's no reason MLS can't do as well as the CFL. They have a lot in common in that niether one is the best league for its sport in the world.

The USA is not used to a league that isn't the best in the world for its sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those numbers are off the charts. If we could have a new team debut every weekend then we'd be talking, haha.

The best part is really that it was a good game from start to finish. I think any fan of the game could walk away from that match happy. Now let's just hope they aren't playing @ New England next week, because when that happens the quality goes from D1 to D7.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    In Canada there's no reason MLS can't do as well as the CFL. They have a lot in common in that niether one is the best league for its sport in the world.

The USA is not used to a league that isn't the best in the world for its sport.
    I use the CFL comparison a lot, I really think MLS can learn a lot from them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOAH!

Wonder what the numbers will be like next month when TFC plays in Montreal?
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Canada there's no reason MLS can't do as well as the CFL.
    After the three large metropolitan areas there is a step down in population size and the demographics are different in a way that favours the CFL rather than soccer. If there were three more cities like Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal we would probably be better off having our own league.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.5 million is what? 1 in 10 or 11 Canadians? You guys seriously believe that number? What the hell is a BBM? Is that like when the star tries to give you free delivery for a month so they can boost numbers to their advertisers and justify ad rates?

"TSN, along with RDS, are the official broadcasters of Major League Soccer (MLS) in Canada with a national broadcast package that includes 36 games featuring Montreal Impact, Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps FC." ... hmmm

I am not saying the numbers weren't "good" but this just sounds inflated to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
    2.5 million is what? 1 in 10 or 11 Canadians? You guys seriously believe that number? What the hell is a BBM? Is that like when the star tries to give you free delivery for a month so they can boost numbers to their advertisers and justify ad rates?

"TSN, along with RDS, are the official broadcasters of Major League Soccer (MLS) in Canada with a national broadcast package that includes 36 games featuring Montreal Impact, Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps FC." ... hmmm

I am not saying the numbers weren't "good" but this just sounds inflated to me.
    BBM is the ratings provider in Canada. They calculate the numbers independently, TSN just takes it for what it is. TSN saw the ratings were solid and decided to run the story, if the ratings weren't favourable, they wouldn't have said anything about it. It's not shocking. Two of the three major markets were involved; it was the first MLS game in Montreal's history and the home opener for Vancouver. The key number here is the 541,000 average audience. The 2.5 million is just the people who 'had a look' at some point during the match. There isn't anything fishy about it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^BBM is the Canadian equivalent of the Neilsen ratings in the U.S. If anything, they are more accurate than their U.S. counterparts. Every advertiser looks at the BBM ratings to see what the audience is before placing their advertisements.

Have you ever wondered how radio and television stations find out who's listening to or watching their programs? In Canada, they rely on BBM to provide them with this information.
    http://bbm.ca/index.php?option=com_c...d=47&Itemid=65
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have any data how many TFC games will be on TSN?

Are we still mostly on GOLTV?
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, congrats to both teams from a rivalry stemming way back. hopefully when the plains of abraham II starts up we can dust those numbers.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's interesting to me is that usually Vanny gets left out or third best when it comes to Canada rivalries but this time they get their day in the sun because of the re-ignition of the USL feud.

Long term I would have been fearful of Vanny getting left behind in the ratings (Canada rivalry-wise) but they'll have fuel from USL days v Montreal AND the Cascadia rivalries to fall back on.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is pretty amazing. Great for Canadian soccer to have that many people watching a domestic match.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    Does anyone have any data how many TFC games will be on TSN?

Are we still mostly on GOLTV?
    No - as I recall only 11 matches are on GOLTV this year. TSN has the majority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSO_BBTB View Post
    After the three large metropolitan areas there is a step down in population size and the demographics are different in a way that favours the CFL rather than soccer. If there were three more cities like Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal we would probably be better off having our own league.
    What do you mean, favours the CFL? Certainly the fact it's been around for a hundred years helps the CFL but in the regions that league has to work like any other to sell tickets and drive TV ratings.

Yes, if there were three more cities like Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal we would be better off with our own league.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSO_BBTB View Post
    If there were three more cities like Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal we would probably be better off having our own league.
    Yes, if there were three more cities like Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal we would be better off with our own league.

i tend to stay away from smoking crack so early in the morning, but to each their own

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stellar Canadian ratings even more impressive compared to the sad US ratings of 82K for Dallas v NYRB on NBC Sports Network (Sunday afternoon not the best time for anything on tv). Even that sad amount was better than the ratings previously on Fox Soccer, so I guess even that is a positive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's awesome! Canada slowly turning into a soccer country.

Yeah, I know it's a pipe dream to think like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 2.5 mil doesn't impress me. The 500k does. 2.5 mil... I mean how many guys turn on their tv on a saturday afternoon and cruise the sports stations to see whats on? Don't think that number reflects anything on soccer, it does however show the impact of being on a major network nationally. The 500k watching though is outstanding. I think the CFL comparison is valid, but I disagree that Americans are used to supporting only the worlds best at their sports. The NCAA is clearly 2nd best at football and down to 4th in basketball. Americans just aren't as big soccer fans as we are, yet. Soccer has always been popular in Canada, the trick was turning the interest from other countries national teams and leagues to our own. The US has always struggled to make soccer popular in the country outside of their national team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.5m must be close to HNIC numbers eh?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

HNIC usually averages 1 million viewers if not more.

I don't know what the number is for those who tune into part or some of it during the course of a night. Maybe 4-5 million?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Stellar Canadian ratings even more impressive compared to the sad US ratings of 82K for Dallas v NYRB on NBC Sports Network (Sunday afternoon not the best time for anything on tv). Even that sad amount was better than the ratings previously on Fox Soccer, so I guess even that is a positive.
    With 10 times the population, the US equivalent would be 5 million viewers and 25 million watching a bit of it while channel surfing. That's for a specialty sports channel too!
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-13-2012 at 11:50 AM.