Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main issue at the end of the day is who’s on the pitch. My measuring stick for off-season success will be firmly based around whether players like Jozy, Ciman, Gonzalez, Gallardo, Bono, and more are still around. There is a ridiculous amount of dead salary on this roster. There’s so much of it you forget that even Morrow (who is 33, injury prone and regressing) is making 330k.

If Vanney goes my expectation will be that he is replaced with an equal or better resume. Anything less will be failure in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Philly crapping the bed so far; it’s not so easy to win the double - 2017 was a once in a lifetime team; we have had a good 4 year run prior to this playoff loss, three MLS Finals and a Concacaf Final - we were unlucky in at least two of them, and even last years own goal changed the momentum —- other than Seattle, who had had it better for the last 4 years?!

It sucks large that we went out this way (believe me I am extremely pissed at this effort tonight), but this has just been a crapfest of a year all around and I simply want to be able to go back to a time when going to BMO with family and friends was a happy way to spend some time - we never even really established a “Post-Joes” home yet either; it just seems like a lifetime ago that we all could sit in Joes before a game and enjoy the whole experience together as TFC supporters.....I’m hoping for a 2021 return to some normalcy but I think it may be 2022 before full scale large gatherings return in some regular sense.....

This is our outlet for most of us - our distraction from the real world problems that we, and a lot of others are facing these days - I know that my family has had a death, a serious illness (Cancer), and job loss in my household all in the last 6 months - and I would say we are still fortunate that I’m still working and we have a roof over our heads and food to eat - I love my TFC and am devastated when they lose (especially like this) but if this year hasn’t taught us to have a little Perspective sometimes, than nothing will.....

Have a healthy and safe offseason everyone - be sad/mad with a bad loss, but then focus on your mental/physical (financial?!) well-being, to get through the next few months which will be hard for many people, for many reasons.

COYR and ALL FOR ONE
    Hey, don't forget to post on the player off-season discussion thread. We could see the most changes this off-season since 2015, including a new coach. Things could get very interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Vanney doesn't come back, I want Matias Almeyda as our coach. I really hope Vanney comes back though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    The main issue at the end of the day is who’s on the pitch. My measuring stick for off-season success will be firmly based around whether players like Jozy, Ciman, Gonzalez, Gallardo, Bono, and more are still around. There is a ridiculous amount of dead salary on this roster. There’s so much of it you forget that even Morrow (who is 33, injury prone and regressing) is making 330k.

If Vanney goes my expectation will be that he is replaced with an equal or better resume. Anything less will be failure in my opinion.
    I don't think Bono is leaving. He is still young and Q is in his mid thirties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i doubt vanney leaves,but they got to have the guts to make major changes,do they have the guts to tell bradley that he is not a starter and somehow move jozy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"We've been through this such a long long time
    Just tryin' to kill the pain, oo yeah
    But love is always coming and love is always going
    And no one's really sure who's lettin' go today
    Walking away"

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least we are not the Union. This format favorites those without the break. Would love to see a second leg in Nashville would be fantastic. Who would Vanney start?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i doubt vanney leaves,but they got to have the guts to make major changes,do they have the guts to tell bradley that he is not a starter and somehow move jozy.
    Bradley was very good indeed today. He will recover from an extremely serious, then a serious injury, in a row. He is not the problem

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    If Vanney doesn't come back, I want Matias Almeyda as our coach. ...
    No thanks

&

The day after that happens, Poz puts in a transfer request.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Maybe that's why Vanney hasn't signed a new contract? Disagreement with mgmt over Bradley's role going forward. It might just be Vanney who is hesitant on coming back. If he is not coming I expect to hear an announcement in the next couple of days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC deserved to lose if your a good team you break down a team that plays like Nashville . They had the Supporters Shield wrapped up but choked. Too many games that were won were barely won and they have been terrible in the last part of the regular season. The other thing I’ll say is that if the MLS want people to take the playoffs seriously you can’t have one game knockout playoffs. This is soccer where anything can happen in a one game knockout format. Go back to the home and away format anything less is a joke .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    No thanks

&

Why do you feel that way? Because he plays a press?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I don't think Bono is leaving. He is still young and Q is in his mid thirties.
    400k on the bench. Either back Bono or Q.

Bono and Morrow together make ~750k. Neither featured tonight and neither start for this team. That is some nice cash to play around with.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you feel that way? Because he plays a press?
    He plays man on man.

He insists on it and Poz is not built for that.

Fact is, the only 3 players on our current roster that could play that way consistently are Delgado, Osorio & Akinola (not counting keepers) - I'm not sold on any of the youngsters being able to do it too.

Wrong team to try that with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing

That game

at BMO

in front of our crowd

We win

Here's hoping for a vaccine and some sense of normality at some point next season

I'll be all in on the "what we need to change" threads when they come up.

But, tonight, all power to guys & staff who powered through a season, came within a game of a major trophy and were very good for much of a season that nobody could have foreseen. Shitting on players or staff or coaches tonight just isn't worth my mental energy.
    It would be unfair to be mad at anyone over tonight's loss because in reality they lost to a team at their own level. There is no other league where there is so little difference between teams. As we witnessed tonight in Hartford and Philly anyone can beat anyone in this league with no dominant teams. This is the nature of MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No thanks

&

Fair enough. I personally admire the man marking style that Almeyda runs with. Obviously a good chunk of this team would need to be turned over to accomodate that style though. He has done a great job in San Jose with a squad that lacks any true stars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Vanney leaves and Marc Dos Santos is available I would hire him. I think he is a good coach who was given nothing to work with in Vancouver. He also has MLS experience both as a head coach and assistant which I think is a must given the nuances of MLS. The last thing I would do is hire a European coach unfamiliar with the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be unfair to be mad at anyone over tonight's loss because in reality they lost to a team at their own level. There is no other league where there is so little difference between teams. As we witnessed tonight in Hartford and Philly anyone can beat anyone in this league with no dominant teams. This is the nature of MLS.
    In a one off game, anything could happen too. I preferred the 2 games, atleast the better usually won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Bradley was very good indeed today. He will recover from an extremely serious, then a serious injury, in a row. He is not the problem
    Only problem I had with MB tonight was he kept holding onto the ball too long letting Nashville get back into defensive formation, instead of going on a faster transition to attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I am not sure I fully agree. I think “too cerebral, like their coach” is fair, but I think they worked hard tonight. I actually think some strategic errors contributed - playing Richie in the left - He can do it but we lose his penetration because he cuts back to his right foot. And the second was starting Jozy. I agreed with it, but it was wrong.

Bigger though, than Vanneys errors, was Poz. He was poor and it didn’t seem to be what Nashville was doing. He was just poor.

And secondarily, our roster construction. We are all midfield. Bradley (who played well) Oso Poz Marky DeLeon Piatti and Jozy played wide in a 4-4-2 for a lot of the game. No wingers. No pace really, except Richie and he was on the wrong wing.
    If the team wants to play a 4-2-3-1 we need better pacey wingers and a striker who can either create for themselves or hold up play.

I didn't get Laryea starting on the left, Auro is better than him on that left side, so start him there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

And what do you expect we can do in terms of off loading Altidore (if that is what you mean), considering that I believe he still has 2-3 years left on his (guaranteed) contract at the salary he is getting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unloading Jozy has to be the number one priority this off-season. His injuries, age and attitude are such that I don't believe he is an effective player anymore. I can't see any team taking him on a transfer. They may just have to buy-out his contract.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhandsome90 View Post
    Only problem I had with MB tonight was he kept holding onto the ball too long letting Nashville get back into defensive formation, instead of going on a faster transition to attack.
    This is always his main problem. Our midfield works better with Osorio in his position along with Delgado & Pozuelo. Our possession slows to a snails pace and gets totally predictable when he is out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    On the goal, nobody in Red was thinking ahead, while Nashville was hungry and had a player in there to finish. I think they need to look in the offseason for an elite centreback from Europe to be the leader, because OG is past it. We need more pace on the wings all over the field as well.
    Q makes the initial save. With a bit of effort, Richie could have cleared the line. Instead the Nashville player walks the ball into the net. Brutal effort. Richie quit on that play. A deserved win by Nashville based on their effort.

How are players paid during the playoffs? TFC’s effort reminded me of the game vs NYCFC in the MLS is Back Tournament. It’s like they just wanted to get the season over and done with and go home after meeting their contractual obligations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YYZ_Fan View Post
    How are players paid during the playoffs? TFC’s effort reminded me of the game vs NYCFC in the MLS is Back Tournament. It’s like they just wanted to get the season over and done with and go home after meeting their contractual obligations.
    I have to say that I thought the exact same thing. They are human after all so I'd understand if they just wanted to be with their families. Nothing about that performance or Vanney's subs suggested that they were going for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

• It has been a great run under the the leadership of Michael Bradley, the team has won trophy's, has been agonizingly close to winning others and has represented Toronto better in the last 5 year stretch than any other professional team in this city in recent memory. But, age has caught up to the General and others. He has been the best captain this city has seen. A rebuild around the strength of our strong midfield of Osorio, Delgado, Piatti, and Pozuelo is needed. These 4 and Mavinga are our core, add the great form of Laryea, continued solid keeping of Westburg and the inspiring play of the young players we are not that far off. Unfortunately some players need to be moved, released or retire. Nothing bad to say about them, but it is time. They are in my opinion: Altidore, Bradley, Ciman, Deleon, Gallardo, Gonzalez, Morrow, Mullins and Zavaleta.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    • Unfortunately some players need to be moved, released or retire. Nothing bad to say about them, but it is time. They are in my opinion: Altidore, Bradley, Ciman, Deleon, Gallardo, Gonzalez, Morrow, Mullins and Zavaleta.
    I was one of the main guys against Zavaleta for years, even in 2017, but if he wasn't on $300K+ and instead something more reasonable for a 4th or 5th CB then I would bring him back. The rest of the list I agree with although I think DeLeon can still do something. However, we should be addressing the lack of pace and also the fitness level of the squad (as in replacing whoever is in charge of team fitness).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I felt like this game was coming. Despite our excellent season, we've looked increasingly unable to put together an attack towards the end. Injuries were a part obviously, but still, definitely our second place finish deceived. I agree with others. I'll never say anything bad about Jozy, as we would not have won a title without him and he's a Reds legend, but probably time for both us and him to move on.

Bradley I'm not so sure. That injury this year probably is still effecting him, but I don't see anything that different in his play. He's the kind of player who likes to have the game in front of him. He's not an improviser. He likes slow and methodical. There is still a place for that, but we need someone else who can move the ball more quickly when needed. Slow and methodical was definitely not the recipe last night.

We need a few more players with some speed and cutting edge. We're an incredibly slow team. It'll be interesting to see what happens between now and the spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First ill say- cant be too harsh on the boys given the circumstances.

I question Ali and his role to find an impact player(priso, nelson - are nice finds)

Vanney- Ever since pulling endoh from the red bulls game and putting on Jozy- changed the complexion of the game, we lost possession, pace and pressure flow was terrbile- the fact he didnt have endoh on the bench(for his energy) is questionable .

The fact vanney -started altidore instead of Ayo- Altidore didnt seem to try- seemed to yell at others for not making the right player or right run- when he himself barely ran or was walking back to keep on side early on the game.

How Gallardo made it ahead of nelson and endoh is crazy.

The formation switch hurt the last 50 minutes of the game, the graph that shows how nashville spiked in control after tfc switched formation.

Mis-handling delgado and having him injured cannot be taken lightly ( i feel with delgado this game would be a bit more controlled)

Starting Deleon instead of maybe priso also was iffy for me.

Omar doesnt have it anymore- his length doesnt do much and TFC never players to his strength.

The fact that no one ran back to help westberg is insane.

Seems like the plan was to get gallardo and fraser some run which is sad to sad for sure.

Need to move deadweight for sure and Ali is in the hot spot for sure- need to win now and not have 18year old relied upon to tie a game up in the playoffs.

oh and I dislike the 1 off format- there is no joy in it for me- I keep thinking about the 2nd leg @ BMO Vs. Montreal- if they took that once in a lifetime magical moment -that would be painful.

MLS seems to make the wrong moves out of spite.

Congrats nashville- you played a overly confident TFC team and earned your victory - should have been easily 3+ goals for nashville.

I'll say it again, Westberg will be missed when he is gone- def felt they left him out to hang

Oh and TFC is too predictable- pass to bradley who takes 5 seconds to decide- pass to auro who will pass it to pozuelo- pass it to piatti- who passes it to pozuelo

there are some obvious connections but no counter to when they defend it,-seemed like tfc was playing 2 vs 3 in every area of the pitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any ideas when player contracts are going to be reported for example who is up for renewal, contract declined etc. ??