Page 22 of 191 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very surprised. Deleon is a significant piece, and doesn't fill an obvious need at his number. This move indicates to me that the following are likely....

- One of our 4 core midfielders (Vazquez, Bradley, Osorio, Delgado), or vdW, is leaving
    - We need Auro's international spot somewhere else (this isn't true if it's vdW that is going)....forward? is this connected to an international being a potential Jozy replacement?

Man at that number, we miss Beita....
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought De Leon had a good impact on the game for DC when TFC played them. Seemed to get in a lot of good spots. I don't mind this...and I assume they know what they are doing the cap hit it will cause?? Got to trust Bez for that I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am very surprised. Deleon is a significant piece, and doesn't fill an obvious need at his number. This move indicates to me that the following are likely....

- One of our 4 core midfielders (Vazquez, Bradley, Osorio, Delgado), or vdW, is leaving
    - We need Auro's international spot somewhere else (this isn't true if it's vdW that is going)....forward? is this connected to an international being a potential Jozy replacement?

I hope we move Delgado (230K) and Zavaleta (263K)
    ...and DeLeon(275K) is wayy better than Beita (298k)
    Last edited by Shway; 12-14-2018 at 05:42 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    they said they wanted to improve roster spots 12 to 18 i guess he is one of those guys.i dont think chaps will be too happy.
    Chapman needs to improve before he can complain. Hopefully he learns from osorio. Deleon is good depth for rb and rm and will push other players to be better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This just about guarantees VDW is playing CB this year, and one of Hagglund or Zavaleta is gone. Auro is getting pushed up the field, which I think is a smart move. Better going forward than backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so you think deleon is coming in has a starter at right back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    so you think deleon is coming in has a starter at right back?
    Yup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, New cb And vdw at rb are starters.

Vdw at cb and deleon at rb is the alternative.

Auro if he's back is rw/lw and 3rd rb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This my friends is a good signing DeLeon is an experienced MLSer and a good one, Auro send him back he is a payer that looks good on field but is far from good but this DeLeon guy is the real deal a very good signing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

300K is a lot for a backup - in 2018.

2019 is rumoured to be a shorter season by at least 3 weeks with more midweek games - depth is going to be paramount, especially for a team wanting to go far in the CCL & repeat in the Voyageurs (do we even know how that looks for 2019?).

We're going to have to think less of starters and backups & more about who being rotated in works with whom.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    I hope we move Delgado (230K) and Zavaleta (263K)
    ...and DeLeon(275K) is wayy better than Beita (298k)
    Not in my opinion , DeLeon misses a lot of golden opportunities . Typical MLS player . He runs a lot , creates chances and occasionally hits a big one . Beita patrols the wings very effectively and can get back when out of position . He’s a brave player as we all know .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Sad to see him go. He's part of an historic TFC team that will never be forgotten, and will be treated accordingly any time he's in Toronto.
    sad to see him go

you must not have been at the LAFC game at BMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    This just about guarantees VDW is playing CB this year, and one of Hagglund or Zavaleta is gone. Auro is getting pushed up the field, which I think is a smart move. Better going forward than backwards.
    If this happens i’ll Be quite disappointed. Absolutely hated VDW at CB last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Chapman needs to improve before he can complain. Hopefully he learns from osorio. Deleon is good depth for rb and rm and will push other players to be better.
    Agreed, potential is there for Chapman but where’s the hustle? I think we have a few too many players in this country that take for granted how hard it is to become an established professional. Guys need to make the most of their opportunity

Separately... year $300 for DeLeon is too much as much as I like the guy. Letting Beitashour go still a mistake in my mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    sad to see him go

you must not have been at the LAFC game at BMO
    You should have a little more respect for the players who played on the greatest team of all time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Separately... year $300 for DeLeon is too much as much as I like the guy. Letting Beitashour go still a mistake in my mind.
    We are paying Zavaleta roughly around the same as DeLeon and Zavaleta was directly responsible for about what? 8 goals against?

Just having Zavaleta on the team and even in the league at his number skews the salary structure for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    You should have a little more respect for the players who played on the greatest team of all time.
    if you think I'm paying $300 a game to see this I don't know what further to say to you.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/...ls-match-recap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T4wuapWzDE

In 2016 every time there was a shot on TFC goal I was scared it was going to go in.
    Thankfully on the greatest team of all time he never played much.

Don't be sad there is nothing to be sad about, be Happy he's gone to Colorado!!
    Last edited by stevep; 12-15-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is something I hate about sports.

I see all kinds of people crapping on Irwin. He was terrific for long stretches of 2016. Made a great save on Torres in 2016 final, where he also stopped a PK. Huge part of our success.

Can I just remind people that Zavaleta started (I think, someone else can check this if they want) every single playoff game for us in 2016 and 2017 (ex the 2017 final), went 90 for us every game, and mostly played great in both playoffs? He had a horrible 2018, I don't know why, but if Vanney thinks he'll bounce back, how about we give the guy some slack and accept that he might bounce back... Zavs puzzles me, I am not convinced he should go, but if he does I will be hoping he gets back on track elsewhere.

These are also, best anyone can tell, model teammates and citizens. Nice guys.

Heroes of our championship team.

As these guys leave, which they inevitably will, can we stop with these over the top, ungrateful, critiques?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is something I hate about sports.

I see all kinds of people crapping on Irwin. He was terrific for long stretches of 2016. Made a great save on Torres in 2016 final, where he also stopped a PK. Huge part of our success.

Can I just remind people that Zavaleta started (I think, someone else can check this if they want) every single playoff game for us in 2016 and 2017 (ex the 2017 final), went 90 for us every game, and mostly played great in both playoffs? He had a horrible 2018, I don't know why, but if Vanney thinks he'll bounce back, how about we give the guy some slack and accept that he might bounce back... Zavs puzzles me, I am not convinced he should go, but if he does I will be hoping he gets back on track elsewhere.

These are also, best anyone can tell, model teammates and citizens. Nice guys.

Heroes of our championship team.

As these guys leave, which they inevitably will, can we stop with these over the top, ungrateful, critiques?
    Go rewatch the Montreal series again. I still remember absolutely losing it in Montreal watching him play. He was sheltered by Moor and in 2017 by Moor and Mavinga. Got no time for him at all. It’s literally a waste of money if GVW is moving to CB and they’re getting a new CB.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go rewatch the Montreal series again. I still remember absolutely losing it in Montreal watching him play. He was sheltered by Moor and in 2017 by Moor and Mavinga. Got no time for him at all. It’s literally a waste of money if GVW is moving to CB and they’re getting a new CB.
    Or I could go rewatch either the NYCFC or Columbus series, where he was perfect.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zavs regressed last year. If he stays, he has to earn a spot in the rotation & prove himself again. One more year like this & he isn't coming back.

He's less likely to move then Hagglund, who is worth a bit to a couple of Ohio teams - CBus is going to rebuild towards their new stadium, likely under Porter. Hagglund would fit that project as well as he would the Cincy new team.

A trade of Zavs right now would probably only get us back a bag of balls.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

A trade of Zavs right now would probably only get us back a bag of balls.
    I'd take that deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or I could go rewatch either the NYCFC or Columbus series, where he was perfect.
    if you have the time go back on the board to the MN game thread and the LAFC game thread. Read the comments about Irwin,
    you will see I am not the only person who feels this way.

I absolutely love the going to a TFC game experience. There is nothing like it in the world. BUT I also want to win the game. I want TFC to win!!

Zavalleta is an interesting one. He is generally disliked on this board. I made a point later on in the season to watch him closely every time the ball is near him and he is involved in the play.
    Sometimes he can be really good!! He can go for 1/2 hour or 45 minute stretches of play where he is very good.
    He needs to put it on for a full 90 minutes.
    He also needs a veteran CB on the field playing beside him.
    Last edited by stevep; 12-15-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Zavalleta is an interesting one. He is generally disliked on this board. I made a point later on in the season to watch him closely every time the ball is near him and he is involved in the play.
    Sometimes he can be really good!! He can go for 1/2 hour or 45 minute stretches of play where he is very good.
    He needs to put it on for a full 90 minutes.
    He also needs a veteran CB on the field playing beside him.
    This. Last year, he was quite consistent in his performances. This year, his good moments have been riddled with countless errors. He still looks like a good defender, but when he's low on confidence, he's a liability. Even with experienced defenders, he's made mistakes. From what I've observed, whenever he plays in a back 4, he lacks confidence. If he's in a back 3, he looks more assured.

If Vanney moves onto a back 4 formation, then he has to be a bench option. I do hope that he grows the confidence to play in a back 4, but that looks slim at this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Letting Beita go was an error, for sure.

and there is something going on, but it’s opaque. Going to be an interesting off season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are going 4-3-3 with intention (wild speculation).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    We are going 4-3-3 with intention (wild speculation).
    Vanney revealed this in the end of year pressers. They're loading up on wide players. Perfect example DeLeon can play RB, RM and RW in the same way as Morrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He started 2/5 playoff games in 2017, one of which he wasn’t very good (watch the 1st leg against the red bulls). In 2016, Montreal literally picked on him for 180 minutes (especially the game in Montreal). He’s a sub for a championship team in the MLS. He makes $300k. Way to much for what he is. He’s got to go.
    Last edited by TFC1154ever; 12-16-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He started one game in the playoffs in 2017. In 2016, Montreal literally picked on him for 180 minutes (especially the game in Montreal). He’s a sub for a championship team in the MLS. He makes $300k. Way to much for what he is. He’s got to go.
    I looked it up. He started 3 of the 4 in the 2017 playoffs , prior to the final. He subbed into the fourth game (the away leg at Columbus where our lineup was crambled because both Giovinco and Altidore were suspended)

Nobody is arguing the guy had a bad 2018. But you are cherry picking on 2016/2017.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked it up. He started 3 of the 4 in the 2017 playoffs , prior to the final. He subbed into the fourth game (the away leg at Columbus where our lineup was crambled because both Giovinco and Altidore were suspended)

Nobody is arguing the guy had a bad 2018. But you are cherry picking on 2016/2017.
    There was massive outrage when Zavs was given a starting spot this season and cries of nepotism even when he was protected in the expansion drafts. I dont think that would happen if he had a great 2016/17. He's always been the weakest CB we've had the last couple of seasons.