Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BMO to expand to 30,000

I was in my car listening to the fan yesterday and during their update they said something about richard peddie petitioning the mlse board about expanding bmo to 30,000 seats. They went on to say part of the reasoning was not just for tfc but also so they could hold the winter classic outdoors at bmo, and I'm assuming he thinks it's necessary to have at least 30,000 seats to do so. Anyone else heard anything about this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    I was in my car listening to the fan yesterday and during their update they said something about richard peddie petitioning the mlse board about expanding bmo to 30,000 seats. They went on to say part of the reasoning was not just for tfc but also so they could hold the winter classic outdoors at bmo, and I'm assuming he thinks it's necessary to have at least 30,000 seats to do so. Anyone else heard anything about this?
    never heard about this. My question is where on earth would they put the extra 8k seats, Unless they plan to spend serious cash on adding a second level to the East side of the stadium... Maybe a roof too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally forgot about it until about an hour ago.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gtaguy View Post
    never heard about this. My question is where on earth would they put the extra 8k seats, Unless they plan to spend serious cash on adding a second level to the East side of the stadium... Maybe a roof too.
    They would fill in the corners of the current second deck, probably put some rows on top of the suits at the north end, and you never know, they could add a second phase to the south end (since the gate and pillars are set up for it?)
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They better keep the Argos out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leafs average is $100/ticket, so a sellout earns $1.9 million a game at the ACC. Say you got $200/seat for 30,000 seats for a Leaf game at BMO - that's $6 million. An incremental $4 million. Not small. You'd want to know that the NHL will let you play one every year or two, though.

Plus it makes BMO a more competitive venue for friendlies - they must all have stars in their eyes still from that RM game.

Makes some sense if you are an MLSE suit, as long as the construction cost isn't more than, say, $10-12 million. But have they considered that this could be detrimental to TFC, by totally killing whatever sense of the scarcity of the ticket remains?
    Last edited by ensco; 09-16-2010 at 06:38 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with the way the team is going and the consistent price increases, we could look like an authentic MLS crowd (though we are getting there with the current capacity).
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30,000 - dear God no...

We'd have 5,000 empty seats on a good day / 15,000 empty seats on a bad night...

I'm hoping he was peitioning for "temporary stands" that would equal 8,000 extra tix for the Winter Classic... Although I don't know how they'd do that...

Carts....
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets start winning some fucking games first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    30,000 - dear God no...

We'd have 5,000 empty seats on a good day / 15,000 empty seats on a bad night...

I'm hoping he was peitioning for "temporary stands" that would equal 8,000 extra tix for the Winter Classic... Although I don't know how they'd do that...

Carts....
    And just imagine how long the lineups will be for the bathrooms with the added attendance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discussion here: http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1543694
    Article with speech here: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...eddie-s-speech

This is bullshit. No way should it be 30K until TFC starts winning. To me, this is a case of Peddie compensating for little man's syndrome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaBandit View Post
    And just imagine how long the lineups will be for the bathrooms with the added attendance
    Spot-on. They'll increase the capacity but wont do a damn thing to ease wait times. Ridiculous.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a way I hope this would happen, because it would most likely mean a drop in ticket prices. The team isn't filling 22,000 anymore. Why would it need a 30,000 seat stadium?

A good point was made earlier about the friendly market. MLSE wants a piece of the action of those ManU v Celtic type games as opposed to seeing a competitor down the street getting those games.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBandit View Post
    I'm sure the Building Code would force them to add washrooms with an expansion that big.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a frightening thought considering all the empty seats we have now.

But let's say they increase capacity by adding another level to the south or east.
    And let's say they only average 22, 000 attendance at a TFC games.
    If there was a roof on all four sides of BMO, then the 8000 empty seats might not seem quite as bad as some MLS cities.
    And I'm sure they could sell it out for playoff games (*cough* *cough*).

But if there was no roof, then I think the atmosphere would really suffer with added empty seats.

TFC would have to sign some pretty big name stars in order to sell that many tickets.
    And I mean names that people recognize, like Henry, Del Piero, etc.

That said... if they added those seats with an upper deck that was considered "cheap seats",
    Then maybe they might sell them.
    Last edited by flatpicker; 09-16-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been saying this long time now. I can't believe people would actually think MLSE would only stop to expand to 24,000 seats.
    Last edited by TFC07; 09-16-2010 at 07:00 PM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The article didn't make it sound like it was going to happen any time soon.

When I did an interview for RPBLive in 2007 with Paul Beirne he said something about getting the stadium to 30k as well.

If they do it for next season, it's silly - but to have the ambition to get TFC and BMO to 30k isn't a bad thing.

PS - build us a roof!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I could find season tickets for under 500 without having to kill others on the way, I will be a happy man.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBaldX View Post
    If I could find season tickets for under 500 without having to kill others on the way, I will be a happy man.
    Somehow I knew you would chime in on this one saying something about getting some season seats. I hope you get yours one day. You certainly want them bad enough.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Somehow I knew you would chime in on this one saying something about getting some season seats. I hope you get yours one day. You certainly want them bad enough.
    For four seasons my student allowance budget has been saved for season seats. For four years I have called FO and plead my case. For four years I have asked them to help bring a dedicated supporter into BMO Field consistently. TFC for me isn't a one or two year deal, I don't even follow European football anymore; TFC is my soccer life!

FO knows who I am, and guess what I'm offered year after year; Marlies packs! Guess what I was offered last year? Only half the Marlies tickets. I'm literally known as the Marlies guy at the ticket desk by now :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread just reminded me that i was talking with someone at the match on sunday that was in the crowd and works for MLSE. He told me about this and said it would be a second deck on the east side. Forgot all about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has been in the works for some time now but what MLSE was hoping for was a playoff spot to boost ticket sales, now that we have no coach and sitting well below the target I think that they can kiss that goodbye until next year.
    I think the target was 1010 grass, 2011 27,000 seats expansion. This may be pushed to 2012, but you never know.

But no roof

rr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    A good point was made earlier about the friendly market. MLSE wants a piece of the action of those ManU v Celtic type games as opposed to seeing a competitor down the street getting those games.
    The ManU/Celtic game would have barely filled the current BMO - a 30,000 BMO would have had 7,000 empty seats...

I know, I know - in a smaller environment would be different but....

Can you imagine what MLSE will charge for those friendlies...???

Carts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    30,000 - dear God no...

Carts....
    Who cares how it 'looks'. If it ends up giving more supporters access to cheaper tickets, then it would be a good thing.

TFC tickets shouldn't be about 'scarecity'. It should be about allowing as many people as possible to attend matches at a reasonable price. That's how you grow the game and increase your fanbase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    Who cares how it 'looks'. If it ends up giving more supporters access to cheaper tickets, then it would be a good thing.

TFC tickets shouldn't be about 'scarecity'. It should be about allowing as many people as possible to attend matches at a reasonable price. That's how you grow the game and increase your fanbase.
    I could care less how it looks...

But a ton of empty seats makes for a bad atmosphere...

There are exceptions - our Cruz Azul game was 40% empty and had some good vibes going...

But match in, match out, an empty stadium will drag down the atmosphere, and worse drag down the hostile environment that makes it difficult for our opponents to win here...

Carts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If MLSE is serious about this, then I except they'll sign a big name DP when expanding BMO field to 30,000 seats. But looking at big picture here, this great news! I am sure big name clubs teams rather play in BMO field than Rogers Centre. So this win for soccer in general in Toronto.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a little cart before the horse.

We aren't winning.
    Attendance is trending down.
    yet the talk is expanding the stadium...

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post

more supporters or more tourists/prawn seats?? If there is an expansion in the works to upgrade the amount the seats then this is the time to allocate ourselves to our own supporters section.

just an idea and an observation

Stay thirsty my friends..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let them expand. That will increase the pressure on them to perform and bring better talent in.

The East stand is the worst place to watch a game. They should put a roof on top of that...but then again, given how the geniuses flubbed the North stand...who knows.
    Last edited by wzhxvy; 09-16-2010 at 08:31 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

It's a done deal,East side will get 200 level and South will get 200 and maybe roof,but you did not hear this from me.I can't tell who my "source" was but it is coming.

If you remember P.B tweeted about expending ST to 18K.TFC is caped for ST and in order to get more ST BMO Field must expand.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want seasons tickets, too, in a supporters section, no less.

How long is the waiting list? 15,000? And how many of those are just for single tickets? I suspect that many of the people on that list want two or more.

And MLSE is not that interested in how many people show up, but more in how many seats they can sell.

Don't get me wrong, since they get a share of the concessions, the more people who show up, the more beer gets sold, and the more money they make.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever