Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Shit tones dude. . . SHIT TONES !!
    (if that isnt TIFO material, I dont know what is)

Joe Bendik ✔ @Jtbendik
    Follow

A hit to my pride today but luckily I've got shit tons of it! Going to take in everything I can from a top shelf gk to better my abilities.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So. . . I saw a few things over the weekend that mentioned Bradley wearing the armband for TFC.
    Is there any truth to it?
    Do folks here support this?
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    So. . . I saw a few things over the weekend that mentioned Bradley wearing the armband for TFC.
    Is there any truth to it?
    Do folks here support this?
    I haven't seen or heard anything about that, but it would seem like a no-brainer to me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I haven't seen or heard anything about that, but it would seem like a no-brainer to me.
    But is it permanent, or is he wearing it until Caldwell comes back from injury?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

From what I've read, he is a strong leader in the locker room. Aside from Caldwell, I don't see anyone else who could step up in this role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was given heavy consideration to become the Captain of the USMNT (they decided to go with the older Dempsey)...if he's close to being national team Captain level surely he has to be the best suited player we have to lead our MLS club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would it be removed from Caldwell though? He hasn't done anything that warrants he be stripped of it.

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell is our captain. Full stop. He's been a true leader on this team, and we're very lucky to have him in this role. Bradley is second in command.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely Bradley will be wearing the armband this year. The man is totally focussed and committed to the team concept. the anti-mista

i love this quote from our dear leader:

Everyone has their own marketplace. On ours, we’ve sold 17,000 tickets in three weeks. We’re going to have a packed stadium every game this year. Our ratings are going to be great. Our merch sells are going to be great. … In our world, with our fans, with the commitment they’ve made the last seven years, we owed them this. This is about our business and our relationship with our marketplace. We knew people were going to shoot at us. The shooting has begun.”

Get used to it folks we are a BIG club.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Normally, I'm a supporter of the idea "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and Caldwell's done an amazing job. But Bradley is a natural leader, and it only seems fitting that he should be our first captain in this "new era".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TSN announces 90 game MLS national broadcast schedule http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=443501

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And we got picked up by NBC for first kick:

Toronto FC confirms its season opener in Seattle has also been picked up by NBCSN for national broadcast in the US #Bradley#Defoe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN Releases MLS Schedule...
    90-Games Total... (23-TFC)

http://bit.ly/1fZBW8R
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC has already indicated Caldwell is the captain.

Bradley will probably be the vice.

/End of story

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahaha Paul Mariner got promoted to coach the news, hahaha

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"...our ratings are going to be great"

Hopefully, someone mentions that to Rogers (Sportsnet) and Bell (TSN) so that they actually give TFC some coverage in their regular Sportsnet/Sportscenter news shows. Historically, Toronto got the coveted "26 mins after the start of the show before we re-run the hockey, basketball, UFC, and maybe some Aussie Rules Football highlights" slot.

TL is certainly good at dishing out bulletin board material. Edu not comparable to Bradley. Our fans are better than your fans.

The talk is there. Is the walk?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was given heavy consideration to become the Captain of the USMNT (they decided to go with the older Dempsey)...if he's close to being national team Captain level surely he has to be the best suited player we have to lead our MLS club.
    This was my thought exactly.
    Although Caldwell IS Scottish. . . that's got to count for something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Platts View Post
    Absolutely Bradley will be wearing the armband this year. The man is totally focussed and committed to the team concept. the anti-mista

i love this quote from our dear leader:

Everyone has their own marketplace. On ours, we’ve sold 17,000 tickets in three weeks. We’re going to have a packed stadium every game this year. Our ratings are going to be great. Our merch sells are going to be great. … In our world, with our fans, with the commitment they’ve made the last seven years, we owed them this. This is about our business and our relationship with our marketplace. We knew people were going to shoot at us. The shooting has begun.”

Get used to it folks we are a BIG club.
    Sorry but that's a quote from Leiweke, not Bradley.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    "...our ratings are going to be great"

Hopefully, someone mentions that to Rogers (Sportsnet) and Bell (TSN) so that they actually give TFC some coverage in their regular Sportsnet/Sportscenter news shows. Historically, Toronto got the coveted "26 mins after the start of the show before we re-run the hockey, basketball, UFC, and maybe some Aussie Rules Football highlights" slot.

TL is certainly good at dishing out bulletin board material. Edu not comparable to Bradley. Our fans are better than your fans.

The talk is there. Is the walk?
    Hey remember the MLS minute?

Serious media coverage.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redcoe is going to be famous again

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...e-showcased-na
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Caldwell is our captain. Full stop. He's been a true leader on this team, and we're very lucky to have him in this role. Bradley is second in command.
    Jesus dick. Finally, some sense.

A no-brainer -- LAUL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With all due respect to Caldwell someone posted that Caldwell should be captain because " he has done an amazing job" based on what? Caldwell had a decent season last year but he was not an all-star in this league last year, remember he was still a starting center back on one of the worst teams in the league last year , yes he was not responsible for another disaster last season but he is not or was not the second coming. Caldwell is a decent MLS center back in this league, an honest no nonsense player and yes does seem to be Captain material, the only thing about him is that he is a bit overrated by many on here. From his play last year he is good not spectacular but good enough to be a starting center back in the MLS and for this team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    With all due respect to Caldwell someone posted that Caldwell should be captain because " he has done an amazing job" based on what? Caldwell had a decent season last year but he was not an all-star in this league last year, remember he was still a starting center back on one of the worst teams in the league last year , yes he was not responsible for another disaster last season but he is not or was not the second coming. Caldwell is a decent MLS center back in this league, an honest no nonsense player and yes does seem to be Captain material, the only thing about him is that he is a bit overrated by many on here. From his play last year he is good not spectacular but good enough to be a starting center back in the MLS and for this team.
    On field play has some, but not the prerequisite to be the team captain. Best player is not necessarily the best captain. Caldwell has instilled a sense of professionalism in the locker room, and I suspect he does many things behind the scene to foster team spirit.

Bradley on the other hand, is a newcomer who has done jackshit in TFC jersey.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think this is fitting, here.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    There are a few different schools of thought, here:

If you give the captaincy to one of the DP's, whilst they would likely have the qualities to be successful in such a role, it might prove an uphill battle, given that it would be tough for them to empathize and demand better from the younger/lesser paid players, without being forced into a parental/babysitting role (subsidizing for them, as has been mentioned elsewhere). This could eventually take it's toll on whomever would be named captain, perhaps when we need them the most.

I also agree with Yohan, that stripping Caldwell of the captaincy sends the wrong message. He is, arguably, the best choice, having played at the highest levels, whilst still being on a comparable contract to the majority of players in the league. As such, he will be able to relate to everyone, which will help him. There's also something to be said of his apparent willingness to take on the role, in what was a tumultuous 2013 season. 47 goals allowed vs. 62 is a significant improvement, and that with him arriving mid-season -- not a balance you'd want to mess with, especially if we see new faces in the backline; players from the previous season will have formed an understanding with him and that respect will be there, but, with all the new faces (not only in the backline, mind), emphasizing his importance and, simultaneously, that of defending, through him retaining the armband, may prove crucial -- not that I think he's the type to mope around about it, were he not to retain the captaincy.

Winter used to say that he's not a fan of the keeper having the armband, as he is less likely to approach the ref. to get across the side's grievances and contest decisions, given that it would require leaving his goal untended (imagine a quick free-kick scenario); keepers have a limited time to set their walls and, so, even if the ref. insists on play restarting only after he's blown his whistle, there's hardly a window for the keeper-captain to get a word in. I do, however, agree that it's important to emphasize the importance of the defence-first mentality, with having a defender as captain.. especially when you consider that, to be fair, some offensive-minded players don't always carry their weight, when out of possession; a defender, being in the last line, before the keeper, in goal, will, instinctively, always keep others not doing their part in check -- the captaincy just gives them that bit more respectability.

I'm also not so sure that Bradley has ever been a team-captain on more than a stand-in basis. If I'm honest, the whole "rah-rah" business often required of a captain doesn't particularly suit his quiet/mysterious nature and could well be misinterpreted if the role were forced upon him. Some have said he would want to be captain, but I wouldn't have thought so, myself. Defoe, as has already been mentioned, is definitely more the type to lead by example; not necessarily the quite type, as he seems to be something of a comedian, but, when it comes to the business end of things, he will do his part and hope that others will match him.

At the end of the day, man-management and leading men are, quite possibly, Nelson's greatest qualities and I'm not as worried as it would appear some, here, are of him having a handle on things in the dressing room. With a year under his belt, now, and the respect he has garnered throughout his career, especially with his MLS background, I feel like he will have the confidence in himself, first and foremost, which will compliment his aforementioned natural talents.

The two more years (minimally) that we have with Caldwell should be enough time to, on merit, determine who's most deserving of the role of captain, for which I'm sure there will be no shortage of candidates -- certainly grounds to rejoice. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Right.. but, that's the U.S. national side that people think he would be a perfect fit for, as captain; language barrier and a number of other variables can sometimes play a role in whether or not a natural born leader is suited to a specific leadership role and, as much as I love, love, love this signing, the optics of an American walking in and snatching our Canadian side's armband is a totally different story, especially as we embark upon what will likely be our most memorable season, to date. Given the chance to endear himself to the fans, it could well prove to be a no-brainer for him to captain TFC.. but, with him locked up for 6 years, I don't see why we should force things and potentially cause a bit of a stir, in so doing.

I just feel like the captaincy, here, has been thrust upon nearly every past captain; I'd like for it to mean something to the person taking it on. As Shakes had alluded to, elsewhere, the players coming in aren't going to have an affinity for Toronto, the city nor club -- certainly not right away; after some time, they may well have and perhaps would aspire to take on such a role as captain.

Yes, Caldwell's not been here long, but, I don't see the rush in handing it to Bradley. You even have to wonder if Bradley and the like would have to fight off their own subconscious mind from thinking that the club is Mickey Mouse -- that they're above everyone else, when they, not only walk right into the side, but, take the captaincy from a well-respected and extremely important member of the club, as Caldwell, given the difference he's made, since joining, undoubtedly is.

We have, at least, a couple years with Caldwell, in which to see who organically stands out as a natural pick.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Awww shucks!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    With all due respect to Caldwell someone posted that Caldwell should be captain because " he has done an amazing job" based on what? ....
    Him being a captain where ever he has gone might be a bit of a start.

We should start a thread for this......

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    hahaha Paul Mariner got promoted to coach the news, hahaha
    hahahahah oh man that news is going to suck