Page 73 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2363697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2348
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    The core played most of the match plus Acahara. Wonder how many of the TFC II types and draft picks are still in the first team camp. Have not heard a lick about Nyal Higgins.

Toronto FC starting XI: Quentin Westberg; Auro Jr., Laurent Ciman (Eriq Zavaleta), Omar Gonzalez, Justin Morrow; Liam Fraser, Alejandro Pozuelo (Griffin Dorsey), Tsubasa Endoh; Ifunanyachi Achara, Jacob Shaffelburg (Ayo Akinola), Jozy Altidore (Patrick Mullins)
    As this looks mostly like a starting lineup (minus Mavinga and Piatti), wondering again what's happening to Gallardo. I think he only played the first pre-season game?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    As this looks mostly like a starting lineup (minus Mavinga and Piatti), wondering again what's happening to Gallardo. I think he only played the first pre-season game?
    Funny enough I was going to say the same thing and the only reason I am saying it is all the hype he came here with as if he was a key player we were bringing in. Would not think it would have been such a big deal had it not been for that. Starting to feel like Aketxe 2.0. Obviously there is an issue they are not coming out with publicly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Gallardo injured?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ifunanyachi Achara looks like a very good pick up so far in preseason. He might even become the main back up to Jozy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ifunanyachi Achara looks like a very good pick up so far in preseason. He might even become the main back up to Jozy.
    At the stadium “I will say the first name, you say the last. Ifun....Ifuna....nan...uhh”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    At the stadium “I will say the first name, you say the last. Ifun....Ifuna....nan...uhh”.

they never used to have to announce that "I'll say the first name..." crap - it used to come from the natural atmosphere of a vibrant stadium.....didn't need prompting from above....there was a vibe to the place and people were actually in their seats BEFORE the game started.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    they never used to have to announce that "I'll say the first name..." crap - it used to come from the natural atmosphere of a vibrant stadium.....didn't need prompting from above....there was a vibe to the place and people were actually in their seats BEFORE the game started.....
    Same goes with pumping the crowd to sing legends TFC before starting XI and to raise our scarves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Deserved Red
    Nice goals
    Deserved Penalty
    Respect between Chico & Q after that one save
    Good to see
    Q looks to be in mid season form already

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Yeah I can’t stand all the prompting. TFC tell us to like it was their idea. People not there before would think that is the reason we do it. Once they started telling me to hold my scarf up at the national anthem I stopped doing it. Loses so much when they take the organic part of it out. Makes us look like all the other MLS outfits where they have to lead the crowd into things. They should have just let us do it ourselves. People would have followed without the announcer. Getting sidetracked on the thread though. This should be maybe in the banter thread since not transfer related.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Achara is easy enough to say, and the new announcer will need to know his full name because he's going to get a lot of goals!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Cinderella stories like this Achara kid. I hope he keeps it up.
    https://www.tsn.ca/nigerian-rookie-m...443730?tsn-amp
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I love Cinderella stories like this Achara kid. I hope he keeps it up.
    https://www.tsn.ca/nigerian-rookie-m...443730?tsn-amp
    Nothing against Mullins but if we can’t develop one forward better then him we don’t deserve success. Akinola or Achara or Perruzza or someone need to develop into a 15 goal guy. Hopefully we can develop an actual star at one point and if it’s none of these guys hopefully from the next wave of players coming up in the next 3 years

MLS imports better players at a rate higher then even Belgium or the top South American leagues when I look at guys like Zlatan, Pozuelo, Vela, Martinez etc. When MLS can develop players at 80 % of the level of Belgium or Netherlands league MLS will be a top 10 league in the world
    Last edited by Defoe; 02-17-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    Now that I've seen the contract structure for Piatti I really like the move. It would seem we have a win/win whether he works out or not and by summer we can either extend him below the DP threshhold or buy him out. Either way it could open up our DP spot as early as this summer for the signing of a young DP like Pellistri or whoever
    Wait is this actually an option? I gave up understanding salary rules once TAM became a thing but if we can buy him down this summer, that’s so unfair for the rest of the league lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Nothing against Mullins but if we can’t develop one forward better then him we don’t deserve success. Akinola or Achara or Perruzza or someone need to develop into a 15 goal guy. Hopefully we can develop an actual star at one point and if it’s none of these guys hopefully from the next wave of players coming up in the next 3 years

MLS imports better players at a rate higher then even Belgium or the top South American leagues when I look at guys like Zlatan, Pozuelo, Vela, Martinez etc. When MLS can develop players at 80 % of the level of Belgium or Netherlands league MLS will be a top 10 league in the world
    Achara fell into our lap, we didn’t develop him. Late Superdraft pick. If he turns into something, it's a feather in the cap of the scouting department

If.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Achara is interesting, however , he is turning 23 this year and up until now has only played at the NCAA’s top level for Georgetown winning the championship this past season 2019. Has no real pro experience for someone who will be turning 23 this year. That’s why so far it’s surprising that he is doing so well mind you it is preseason but will see. The guy that actually I’m kind of thinking this kid might have a good future at striker is this Canadian and local kid Peruzza, at just 18 years old last season he scored 15 goals for TFC 2 as and was the second leading scorer in USL 1, which apart from the MLS reserve teams in that league is still made up of teams with older season pros that are probably a better level than the top NCAA level where Achara played. So ya Peruzza has done really well at such a young age so maybe based on his stats he could have a decent future ahead of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon T View Post
    Wait is this actually an option? I gave up understanding salary rules once TAM became a thing but if we can buy him down this summer, that’s so unfair for the rest of the league lol.
    Yea, it can happen but it depends on two things. 1 - having enough xAM to buy him down 2. Identifying a player u23 thats worth a DP slot and the transfer fee it will likely entail.

For reference, Pellistri just signed a new deal. Release clause is 15M USD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Achara fell into our lap, we didn’t develop him. Late Superdraft pick. If he turns into something, it's a feather in the cap of the scouting department

If.
    ya true

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Yea, it can happen but it depends on two things. 1 - having enough xAM to buy him down 2. Identifying a player u23 thats worth a DP slot and the transfer fee it will likely entail.

Is TAM and GAM ie a combined version of it the same thing now? Also will be interesting to see the first third DP signed that is over 23 and gets more than the 1. whatever limit that the league can hold you too?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is TAM and GAM ie a combined version of it the same thing now? Also will be interesting to see the first third DP signed that is over 23 and gets more than the 1. whatever limit that the league can hold you too?
    Sort of. The league issued TAM is folded into GAM. The discretionary TAM is still available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's crazy for a guy with one goal.

Jony Menendez is doing really well in Argentina. It's a shame we didn't bring him in, Gallardo better do something this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice little tidbit from Davidson today

NOTES: Clemson defender Malick Mbaye, taken in the second round (33rd overall) in last month's MLS SuperDraft, has left TFC to join a USL team in the U.S. Indiana defender Simon Waever, taken in the second round (51st overall), has also departed. Syracuse defender Nyal Higgins, a Canadian selected in the first round (19th overall), is training in Toronto with TFC 2.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice little tidbit from Davidson today
    Interesting to see that Simon Waever departed without mentioning where he is going. Thought he would at least get a TFC2 look. Have to assume Malick Mbaye is making a move to USL Championship team rather than stay and play with the USL League 1 TFC2. Not surprised about Higgins, never expected him to stick with the first team. Even though Achara was drafted behind him always thought he had the higher upside at least in the short term. With two first team spots to fill, assuming Achara gets one, will be interesting to see who it is. Have to assume it will not be a third string GK? Can easily call someone up if needed.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to see that Simon Waever departed without mentioning where he is going. Thought he would at least get a TFC2 look. Have to assume Malick Mbaye is making a move to USL Championship team rather than stay and play with the USL League 1 TFC2. Not surprised about Higgins, never expected him to stick with the first team. Even though Achara was drafted behind him always thought he had the higher upside at least in the short term. With two first team spots to fill, assuming Achara gets one, will be interesting to see who it is. Have to assume it will not be a third string GK? Can easily call someone up if needed.
    I wonder if they maybe go without thd 3rd keeper and use the MLS pool goalie if needed on a short term. They could also use the full season usl loan on one of those academy players to get an extra spot (unless that doesn't exist anymore in the new cba)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like Piatti is making his debut on Wed nights pre-season game anyone know if they will be streaming it ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    What about Osorio?

At 750 k and 10 goals and 7 assists in 2018 I think this player needs to be starting. Can he play out wide?

For context with the salary given to Gallardo and Osorio we could afford someone like Julien Gressel as one of the best wingers in the mls teaming up with Piatti. We just can’t afford to have average production from the other wing or Osorio position. That’s the one position I can’t seem to figure out if they play Piatti up top and go to a 4-4-2 or do they go 4-3-3 have Osorio starting as a winger or they have a 4-3-3 and have some cheap winger (Endoh, Deleon, Shaff starting) and Osorio at 750 k on the bench ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Osorio?

At 750 k and 10 goals and 7 assists in 2018 I think this player needs to be starting. Can he play out wide?

For context with the salary given to Gallardo and Osorio we could afford someone like Julien Gressel as one of the best wingers in the mls teaming up with Piatti. We just can’t afford to have average production from the other wing or Osorio position. That’s the one position I can’t seem to figure out if they play Piatti up top and go to a 4-4-2 or do they go 4-3-3 have Osorio starting as a winger or they have a 4-3-3 and have some cheap winger (Endoh, Deleon, Shaff starting) and Osorio at 750 k on the bench ?
    Auro-omar-mavinga-morrow
    Osorio-fraser-pozuelo
    Gallardo-jozy-piatti

Delgado could start over Osorio.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Osorio?

Oops good point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing with Osorio is that the best player on the team plays his best position (Poz). He tends to disappear when he plays on the left and does not bring the work rate or ball winning abilities of a Marky Delgado to play the 8. He is kind of a luxury player at this point that probably would be a prime candidate to be dealt if it wouldn't be met with big time outrage from the fanbase. He is a very good player though and will help Toronto win some games, no matter where he plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The thing with Osorio is that the best player on the team plays his best position (Poz). He tends to disappear when he plays on the left and does not bring the work rate or ball winning abilities of a Marky Delgado to play the 8. He is kind of a luxury player at this point that probably would be a prime candidate to be dealt if it wouldn't be met with big time outrage from the fanbase. He is a very good player though and will help Toronto win some games, no matter where he plays.
    Marky is likely gone by the end of the transfer window either this one or the next one. We're gonna lose him to free agency at the end of the year anyways. It'll be interesting to see what they can get for him. He fits better in the double pivot than Osorio for sure but if he goes Okello may fit there too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    Marky is likely gone by the end of the transfer window either this one or the next one. We're gonna lose him to free agency at the end of the year anyways. It'll be interesting to see what they can get for him. He fits better in the double pivot than Osorio for sure but if he goes Okello may fit there too.
    yeah we need to hang onto marky until bradley is back.