Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CCL was not as big an issue as the "we are the champions and can turn this on at will" attitude.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Yes. There was something very wrong with the “mentality” this year, to use the Italian expression. (Seba used it early in the year.)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Are you being ironic or serious?

If we had won that we would have been the toast of MLS for months, and absolutely no one would care about the season. We would be sitting Gio and Altidore now so that they can be ready for Dubai. We would have dozens (actually maybe hundreds) going to Dubai,and talking about that in a thread that would probably already be 25 pages long. Nobody would give a crap about the MLS season. Our home games would all have been one long party. The closer we were to Dubai, the more true that would be!

We'd be going on endlessly over video of Japanese and African teams, trying to figure out if we can get by them. We would actually be meeting in bars to watch Asian and African champions league games, because we cared.

We would be one game away from playing Real Madrid. We would all be watching Real Madrid games, and scouting them ffs!

The world would be unrecognizable if we had won CCL. We would barely even perceive ourselves as in MLS.

*sigh*
    We were so close to doing it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    CCL was not as big an issue as the "we are the champions and can turn this on at will" attitude.
    Feels a lot like 2014 Bradleys first season, TFC were on the edge of making the playoffs in August. The narrative was wait until Sept and Oct were a bunch of home games were coming up. Points will come in then. Ends up TFC blows a bunch of home games to miss playoffs. Feels a lot like that season were it was all about wait until x, then x happens and it fails.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Feels a lot like 2014 Bradleys first season, TFC were on the edge of making the playoffs in August. The narrative was wait until Sept and Oct were a bunch of home games were coming up. Points will come in then. Ends up TFC blows a bunch of home games to miss playoffs. Feels a lot like that season were it was all about wait until x, then x happens and it fails.
    I had that sinking feeling during the first few months of the MLS season, when Vanney told us he was focussing on the CCL, not to worry, losing five or seven MLS games is no big deal....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    I had that sinking feeling during the first few months of the MLS season, when Vanney told us he was focussing on the CCL, not to worry, losing five or seven MLS games is no big deal....
    Because what he should have said is, holy moly, we are effed, the season is over.

Most sports reporting is children's literature, and interviews are even worse. The whole purpose of engaging on this board is to cut through this stuff.

Vanney was right to downplay it publicly. We just needed to right the ship, which we should have been able to do.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is something we sometimes casually overlook with this team. Not so much Vanney’s public explanations but the fact we basically threw a number of easy games early in the season due to schedule congestion and focus on the CCL. And after that we still had issues with injuries and fatigue.

How foreseeably is next year going to be any better? I have little interest in the CCL until the format cleans up.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because what he should have said is, holy moly, we are effed, the season is over.

Most sports reporting is children's literature, and interviews are even worse. The whole purpose of engaging on this board is to cut through this stuff.

Vanney was right to downplay it publicly. We just needed to right the ship, which we should have been able to do.
    Agreed with the sarcasm and everything.

Although...

Isn't THIS moment what NA sports is all about?

More fans enjoy the "sneak into the playoffs and win it all" model and give 2 shits about the most points in a season and the CCL unless it's the final stages.

Well - live it up pussplop lovers.

I want the team to finish strong and can't wait to see a couple changes before the CCL starts in Feb.

But who's reading this? They left months ago when the season was over.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty interesting interview with Didier Deschamps about the mentality problem for champions

https://www.theguardian.com/football...st-foolishness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We play Atlanta on last game of season. They are currently sitting on 63 points after yesterday's defeat to NYRB, and have three games remaining - hosting New England and Chicago before coming here.

They probably win those two games. Meaning they’re sitting on 69 points - tied with our record from last year.

If we can somehow find a way to stay in the playoff race, imagine how sweet it would be to simultaneously win, make the playoffs, and keep them from breaking our record.

Alternatively, imagine losing at home to give them the record and lose our playoff spot (if we aren't already out by then). Ouch. That's the darkest timeline for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

45 mins or so away from this thread coming to reality

At the end of the day the ccl isnt responsible for the defensive lapses, untimely goals and underperforming play on the pitch. By that same token, vanney and the coaching staff cant be held responsible for the injuries, mental letdowns and poor scheduling from the league.

My point is that this season has been the perfect storm of all of these factors, and we can all argue about what was more prevelant but i firmly believe that it was a shit sundae of ALL those things mixed together that created this sad 2018 campaign for the reds.
    Last edited by DIEHARDTFC; 10-06-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are in a spot of bother now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least I don't need to hear about TFC's playoff chances and people scoreboard watching anymore. We were out of the playoffs two months ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a tad troubled by what I've seen towards the end of the season.

Our best players will be a year older next year and are of questionable durability with the exception of Bradley and Gio, who both look like they can't shoulder the work load they used to.

We don't seem to have the right combination of midfielders or a first choice CB. If Mavinga isn't on the field we defensively poor.

I think Vanney is a decent coach but wonder if the dressing room has tuned him out at this stage. If the team starts to struggle next year can he put it back on the tracks?

They need some serious introspection. This isn't just about injuries or burnout from the CCL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of relieved tbh, I had given hope after the LAFC game.

Give these guys a proper break, let's re-group and actually address our needs, and put in that new turf as soon as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARDTFC View Post
    45 mins or so away from this thread coming to reality

At the end of the day the ccl isnt responsible for the defensive lapses, untimely goals and underperforming play on the pitch. By that same token, vanney and the coaching staff cant be held responsible for the injuries, mental letdowns and poor scheduling from the league.

My point is that this season has been the perfect storm of all of these factors, and we can all argue about what was more prevelant but i firmly believe that it was a shit sundae of ALL those things mixed together that created this sad 2018 campaign for the reds.
    I think there is a real chance we have been found out, and I'm afraid if we don't see a major shakeup tactically or player wise we will see the same results next year.

This season was a perfect storm, however, if you are Manning are you willing to take that chance?

We may have one more shot with this group next year, however, maybe its time move on from this core group?

The contracts of our designated players is an upcoming issue, I hope TFC management can find it in themselves to get ahead of the curve(unlike the Jays) and start with a "soft rebuild", get younger, more technical, and set ourselves up for sustained success.

What this TFC group achieved the last 18 months has been immense, let that not be mistaken.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    With tonight's loss, we've wasted too many of our vaunted 'games in hand,' and we're too far back of the leaders to assume any sort of realistic chance at finishing in the top 4 of the conference.

Why did this happen? Prioritizing the CCL and basically throwing away the Colorado and Houston games, and now having just way too many regular players injured to be as competitive as we need to be. Yes, we have good depth, but only if 1 or 2 guys have to fill in here and there; the lineup we played tonight just can't cut it (especially with VV going out again).

So what's the best we can hope for? That we can scrounge enough points together to at least stay in the playoff picture while everyone gets healthy; seems that will be around late July/early August. Then, even if we're back to full strength, it'll take them another month probably to get back into the groove, so if – and that's a big IF – that can happen, then maybe we can get hot in September and try to ride some momentum into the playoffs.

But if we lose any of the next few games, I think we're just totally finished. We might even be already.
    You called it in the op.

Despite many calls to close this thread, this prediction was ultimately correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We are done

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All right, then. We'll call it a draw.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still love my TFC even though the fat lady has sung. Onward, forward to 2019.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You called it in the op.

Despite many calls to close this thread, this prediction was ultimately correct.
    Yes, unfortunately.

But, as others have said, maybe this is a blessing in disguise, as it will let us rest and heal ahead of next year's CCL.
    Last edited by James17930; 10-07-2018 at 09:44 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You called it in the op.

I have no issue with predictions.

The title of this thread sounds casual. That is all.

I can't wait to get to the Atlanta match. It's a match.

This thread gets a terrible vote
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Season isn't over yet, we can at least knock Montreal out of the playoffs, thats worth playing for no?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like at many other times this season, to start this "must-win game" so flat was astounding. Our injury problems were massive, but the mentality issues go far beyond that. I feel like both Vanney and Bradley, despite all their obvious qualities, aren't good at motivating or turning things around when the going gets tough.

Last year Bono was mostly great. This year he often seems to be frail & inconsistent. Not just the horrendous first goal last night; he bobbled the ball or made poor decisions multiple times. Can he turn it around?

Mavinga and vdW are both good defenders, but neither is close to being the leader we need at the back. Moor was, but I think his age & injuries this year show that he can't be that leader next year either. Another huge hole to fill.

Our midfield also has major question marks for me. Vazquez is great, but only when he can play. To rely heavily on him next year seems very risky. Every other midfield player also worries me for one reason or another. They can all do well on a good team, but at the moment they aren't reliable & we have major gaps.

Not bad for Giovinco to be pissed & yell a bit. But he and all the other attacking players missed multiple chances to score last night. Yeah we have defensive and goalkeeping problems, but score a couple of our own goals and don't expect our D to be perfect. Giovinco's free kicks are hardly ever on frame any more, and he was totally invisible for about two thirds of the game last night. It seems like most of our players are afraid to shoot. It's not gridiron for Chrissakes; you don't have to carry the goal over the goal line.

Given the issues and age of many of our players, I actually can't see us doing great next year either. There are too many gaps to fill, and shedding contracts often knocks you back for a while. I think Giovinco will be unhappy about Altidore leaving; they obviously got along great together, and Giovinco knows that Altidore makes life on the pitch much easier for him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Season isn't over yet, we can at least knock Montreal out of the playoffs, thats worth playing for no?
    I think that Atlanta game is in it's way a big game still.

We can stop them from setting the points record, and it'll be the farewell game for Jozy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can stop them from setting the points record, and it'll be the farewell game for Jozy.
    I won’t watch that game. Atlanta is as good, or better, than our 2017 club. Currently, we can’t beat a garbage Vancouver side in a must win contest. Getting blown out on the last game of a miserable season is too much punishment. Besides, if less than half of BMO is filled, it would send a meaningful message to front office.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Who needs to “send a message” to the front office this way? It doesn’t work.

Not renewing in numbers is the only way to get their attention.

I care way more about seeing Altidore off. We did what we did because of him. He is the man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won’t watch that game. Atlanta is as good, or better, than our 2017 club. Currently, we can’t beat a garbage Vancouver side in a must win contest. Getting blown out on the last game of a miserable season is too much punishment. Besides, if less than half of BMO is filled, it would send a meaningful message to front office.
    They're already raising prices across the board...they aren't taking messages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree, I'm just going game by game, seeing the Impact in the playoffs would bother me more than the points record being lost though, besides even if we stop ATL, Redbulls can still get there.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Sending a message" is so 2011.
    Mo Johnson didn't care and Anselmi was building condos, so it didn't work under their disfunctional leadership.

There's no way you need to "send a message" to the current management. They're not counting money for the Teachers Pension Plan like Anselmi was. They care deeply from Bill Manning on down. They just need to figure out a way to fix things for next season. Hopefully they get the right formula like they did in 2016-2017.