Page 42 of 193 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 5785
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact the journos know there will be 3 more beyond Insigne means they have all been briefed this is occurring.

So...its happening.

Now, when & how & whom...that's another matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    There are no links to Hoilett or FB (outside of someone saying that might of seen him eating food with a bald man). Let's leave this discussion and not get upset over two guys who probably aren't coming.
    Seconded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    We are talking about who is better player right now right now I will repeat right now, Hoilett plays in the 2nd division is 32 years old will probably retire after the World Cup. Bernardeschi was 1 of 25 that Mancini chose to win the European championship, people that know soccer will have absolutely no problem telling you who the better footballer is RIGHT NoW.
    I don't think talent level is the argument here.

In soccer the end product is what counts and sometimes a player with less talent will outperform another that is more naturally skilled.

Hoilett is more rugged and battle tested by going through the gauntlet that is the 2nd division in England. He is suited for the quirks of MLS and the bullshit that occurs here than a luxury player like Berna.

There are a lot of players better to choose from in the world if we are going for luxury.
    Last edited by Richard; 06-18-2022 at 05:20 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN pre-game just big played up Junior Hoillet to TFC -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeah. Seems weird they would do that without some info that he might be coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Felt like grasping at straws - has the club commented on it yet / has any journo even ASKED for comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Felt like grasping at straws - has the club commented on it yet / has any journo even ASKED for comment.
    I think they're picking up on a piece in the English papers from a few days ago suggesting the reason he turned down Reading is that he wants to play for TFC before he retires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob with some frank comments about some of the young players just being unable to play at speed yet.

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/postg...y-june-18-2022

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So arriving 24th, but any guesses what his first game will be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    So arriving 24th, but any guesses what his first game will be?
    Probably July 9th. Can't play until his ITC arrives, which cannot be transferred until the transfer window opens on the 7th

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think they're picking up on a piece in the English papers from a few days ago suggesting the reason he turned down Reading is that he wants to play for TFC before he retires.
    Can someone answer this for me, and let's put the Canadian biases aside, is he any good? Is he what we need and will make a noticeable difference over someone like a Jacob Shaffelburg? (I think the "Shaf out back" experiment failed and he'll be fighting for wing time)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bob with some frank comments about some of the young players just being unable to play at speed yet.

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/postg...y-june-18-2022

They are still learning the game. Which to me puts to rest the argument that we should be starting the kids. This first half of the season proved to me that the kids are bench players.

I really don't wanna hear the argument that a kid like Ralph Priso can just step in and replace MB4. I get it, he's old and needs to be replaced, but RP is not the option. Kerr/Perruzza etc are not replacements for Jesus or even Achara.
    Even with a solid starting 11; these kids are bench players at best for the next 2-4 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Can someone answer this for me, and let's put the Canadian biases aside, is he any good? Is he what we need and will make a noticeable difference over someone like a Jacob Shaffelburg? (I think the "Shaf out back" experiment failed and he'll be fighting for wing time)
    I’ve only seen him play a whole game a half dozen times but he’s always looked up to the level he’s playing at. His recent play in qualifying for the Nats was very good, in spot duty. He’s dangerous as a long shooter and likes to cut in on his right foot from the left, which is a bit problematic as that’s also Insigne’s favourite spot. But I’ve seen him play well on the right in England as well.

The question is how much he has in the tank at 32. I think he had four (five?) goals for Reading last year and they wanted him back. He still looks quick and dangerous with the ball for the Nats. But at his age, maybe more a 65 minute player than a whole game guy.

I think in terms of contribution he’d compare favourably to Piatti two seasons ago. He’ll probably get six-to-eight goals over a whole season, a half dozen assists. But again… he’s 32. You never know with a player at that age when the second gear will disappear completely and they don’t have the quickness anymore to beat bigger guys.

A two-year deal at TAM money I could see. Could we get someone younger and more effective for that money? Probably. But he’s a known entity and doesn’t take an international roster spot.
    Last edited by jloome; 06-20-2022 at 01:30 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I’ve only seen him play a whole game a half dozen times but he’s always looked up to the level he’s playing at. His recent play in qualifying for the Nats was very good, in spot duty. He’s dangerous as a long shooter and likes to cut in on his right foot from the left, which is a bit problematic as that’s also Insigne’s favourite spot. But I’ve seen him play well on the right in England as well.

The question is how much he has in the tank at 32. I think he had four (five?) goals for Reading last year and they wanted him back. He still looks quick and dangerous with the ball for the Nats. But at his age, maybe more a 65 minute player than a whole game guy.

I think in terms of contribution he’d compare favourably to Piatti two seasons ago. He’ll probably get six-to-eight goals over a whole season, a half dozen assists. But again… he’s 32. You never know with a player at that age when the second gear will disappear completely and they don’t have the quickness anymore to beat bigger guys.

A two-year deal at TAM money I could see. Could we get someone younger and more effective for that money? Probably. But he’s a known entity and doesn’t take an international roster spot.
    Thanks! This gives me a very good picture of what we'd get from him.
    It would seem he is definitely a "fix it now" player. Which is kinda what we need. At a good enough price, why not. As long we don't get handcuffed by him and he becomes a liability. .

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I told you that TFC just signed a 32 year old forward that scored 3 goals and started I believe 13 games for a 2nd division side in England that barely survived relegation would you be happy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    If I told you that TFC just signed a 32 year old forward that scored 3 goals and started I believe 13 games for a 2nd division side in England that barely survived relegation would you be happy?
    Would depend obviously on the money and how he integrated. MLS is where big names turn bust and lower league English players become legends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, he’s good and a substantial upgrade over Shaffleburg.

The questions of “how much does he have left in the tank?” are fair. But I’d definitely take him on a short term deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

The questions of “how much does he have left in the tank?” are fair. But I’d definitely take him on a short term deal.
    I would not be happy to have Hoilett as a dp, but short term tam seems reasonable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I would not be happy to have Hoilett as a dp, but short term tam seems reasonable.
    Def not DP. Has to be TAM.

Although with our telco overlords being told their lunch is being handed over to Apple this past week, maybe the cash spigot gets turned off and we start going cheap.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although with our telco overlords being told their lunch is being handed over to Apple this past week, maybe the cash spigot gets turned off and we start going cheap.
    Good point...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont get the shaff replacement ,LI will replace nelson/shaff and jr would replace kerr

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i dont get the shaff replacement ,LI will replace nelson/shaff and jr would replace kerr
    Who's Jr? Auro? is that confirmed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's Jr? Auro? is that confirmed?
    jr hoilett
    Last edited by reggie; 06-20-2022 at 04:31 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

I've only see Auro speculation on here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoilett will get everyone's maple leafs all hard, but there is still a huge glaring need in the middle of the park.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    jr hoillet..
    right right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

I've only see Auro speculation on here
    singh mentioned today that their is mutual interest with hoilett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?#$@*&%... WTF?
    Miss a few days... miss quite a lot!
    Apologies for the delayed contribution.

jloome, I am among those here that will always welcome, enjoy and value your well informed and knowledgeable insight; whether I am in agreement or not.
    accordingly... with much respect, a lot of like, and in jest...
    Definately... not 'under a bridge'... maybe... in what once was known as 'The City Of Champions'?
    https://youtu.be/AXtoEFcPkbM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    ?#$@*&%... WTF?
    Miss a few days... miss quite a lot!
    Apologies for the delayed contribution.

jloome, I am among those here that will always welcome, enjoy and value your well informed and knowledgeable insight; whether I am in agreement or not.
    accordingly... with much respect, a lot of like, and in jest...
    Definately... not 'under a bridge'... maybe... in what once was known as 'The City Of Champions'?
    https://youtu.be/AXtoEFcPkbM
    Ha! Please, if that's grumpy and old I'm dead already

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once again, apologies for the delayed contribution.
    Miss a few days, miss quite a lot... and in fairness...

Section 223, Boy Oh Boy!
    You sure can lean in when maybe you could ease up in the 'directness'; find another way to still get your thoughtful points across.
    For me, those perspectives in somewhat abrupt style and without the personal aspects may be an underappreciated and fresh addition to this Forum's Threads.
    IMO, they do hold degrees of merit.
    BTW, I too have had the pleasure of being admonished by OT; so, you learn as you go along.
    Keep On Keeping On... Express Yourself... You Do You...
    Of course, within reason; the rules of this Board and with a little more courtesy.