Page 16 of 288 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good player to pick up and have around though. Love the versatility of those players that can pull in holes when injuries happen. Always good to have around and on a small contract is even better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Can he possibly be better than 'the best finisher in the modern era' ?

Although WeedMan has a great name, I wouldn't miss him.

MLS.com has him listed as a forward:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/ryan-richter

Yeah baby!

Even he's just the second best finisher in the modern era, I'll take him any time over the Weed Man, if he can play a bit decent midfield and defense too.
    In fact, I'll take anyone over the Weed Man, who's just a waste of space on our roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chinatownchef View Post
    What people don't know is Richter was originally a very good striker, he had 10 goals in 45 games with the Northeasters. Maybe the Union pegged him as a defender, which really was never his strong point. If you put Ricthter as a depth striker it makes a lot of sense.
    Well he's already scored for us in that reserve game vs. Notre Dame. Nice to have a defender who can also take an opportunity to score.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any updates re Jamie Peters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CountryoverClub View Post
    Any updates re Jamie Peters?
    Long gone. Vancouver said he was too fat, and since he came to trial at TFC shortly afterwards, you could assume that had a big role in management passing on him as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    Well he's already scored for us in that reserve game vs. Notre Dame. Nice to have a defender who can also take an opportunity to score.
    not that i'm saying this will apply to Richter, but seems quite a few strikers end up making a decent career out of being converted fullbacks
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    not that i'm saying this will apply to Richter, but seems quite a few strikers end up making a decent career out of being converted fullbacks
    Like? Not doubting you, I always kind of figured that a lot of people play striker in College because they are the best on their team and when they go pro they get put into defense/midfield etc.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like? Not doubting you, I always kind of figured that a lot of people play striker in College because they are the best on their team and when they go pro they get put into defense/midfield etc.
    Jonathan Bornstein for one. Corey Ashe of Houston. Paul Stalteri was a striker with Toronto Lynx.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro@JohnMolinaro3mNo update from Nelsen on the Argentine forward, BTW. #TFC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonathan Bornstein for one. Corey Ashe of Houston. Paul Stalteri was a striker with Toronto Lynx.
    I remember seeing Babayele Sodade in the combine last year and thinking he would be a good RB/LB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin McKenna also.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CommradePolski View Post
    Kevin McKenna also.
    not a full back

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't know where to post this little tidbit of information:

I know a lot of people have been talking about how Quillan Roberts was a panic buy, and is never going to get game time but interesting enough it seems he's playing in net for the academy down in Dallas, the TFC Academy is there for a competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lukasz Piszczek was a striker before Jurgen Klopp made him a RB; now he's one of the best in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    Didn't know where to post this little tidbit of information:

I know a lot of people have been talking about how Quillan Roberts was a panic buy, and is never going to get game time but interesting enough it seems he's playing in net for the academy down in Dallas, the TFC Academy is there for a competition.
    there is an academy thread

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...C-Academy-2013

he, looking at the academy tweets, seemed to have kept TFC in it yesterday and from the looks of it, a few more today; I know Stewart Kerr is really high on him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    there is an academy thread

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...C-Academy-2013

he, looking at the academy tweets, seemed to have kept TFC in it yesterday and from the looks of it, a few more today; I know Stewart Kerr is really high on him
    Apparently he nearly scored again.

Toronto FC Academy
    @tfcacademy

Known big kick by Roberts is used. Kick upfield hits crossbar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Apparently he nearly scored again.

Toronto FC Academy
    @tfcacademy

Known big kick by Roberts is used. Kick upfield hits crossbar
    Damn. Just watched the goal he scored against England. Young kid, and already has a goal, and a near goal. We should consider moving him up to the midfield.

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Food for thought: http://thesunshineroom.com/2013/03/1...llel-universe/ re-tweeted by Jason deVos. The parallel universe where footie players critique our days at work. Remember this the next time you comment on a player who doesn't 'measure up'...
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next time they pay to see me work I'll gladly allow them to critique me.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    Food for thought: http://thesunshineroom.com/2013/03/1...llel-universe/ re-tweeted by Jason deVos. The parallel universe where footie players critique our days at work. Remember this the next time you comment on a player who doesn't 'measure up'...
    That's a strip that makes a really good point.

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post
    An even better point.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post
    People don't pay to see me work, but they pay for my finished product, and I don't mind criticism, I think that if people said to players, 'hey man, you did great but you lose your mark in the middle third of the pitch a lot' the players wouldn't mind so much. When people are rude to me about what they don't like about my stuff, I tell them to give me my goods back and never contact me again.

I am lucky enough to work for myself, but imagine if your boss were to watch you (who does pay you) and yelled out 'WTF are you doing? TWO hands when doing data entry, what is wrong with you!??' I would guess that you would have a problem with that.

Don't give me the 'they make $xxx' because 1. They don't make that much in MLS 2. Even if you made $1m/year, you likely STILL wouldn't take that crap.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lukasz Piszczek was a striker before Jurgen Klopp made him a RB; now he's one of the best in the world.
    Thanks guys, this is all so interesting because my son started with a new academy and wherever he played before they would put him either AM or up top as he was usually one of the better players, with the academy (Futskills, it is amazing) they put him on DM, CB, RB/LB where he seems to be doing really well (he plays all positions in practice but in games he defends)

Kind of interesting to see my 'hunch' about players ending up as strikers in college because they are the best around isn't too far from the truth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a distinct lack of urgency in these rumored signing from Central and South America. Almost ready to put those rumors in my "Shit GMs Say" folder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People don't pay to see me work, but they pay for my finished product, and I don't mind criticism, I think that if people said to players, 'hey man, you did great but you lose your mark in the middle third of the pitch a lot' the players wouldn't mind so much. When people are rude to me about what they don't like about my stuff, I tell them to give me my goods back and never contact me again.

I am lucky enough to work for myself, but imagine if your boss were to watch you (who does pay you) and yelled out 'WTF are you doing? TWO hands when doing data entry, what is wrong with you!??' I would guess that you would have a problem with that.

Don't give me the 'they make $xxx' because 1. They don't make that much in MLS 2. Even if you made $1m/year, you likely STILL wouldn't take that crap.
    Hearing a drunken, overweight, middle-aged man yell at you about how to do your job that you train almost every day for must get tiresome. Then again, playing a game for a living for more money than most people ever see in a lifetime must be the best thing ever. Give and take.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCtoMUFC View Post
    Hearing a drunken, overweight, middle-aged man yell at you about how to do your job that you train almost every day for must get tiresome. Then again, playing a game for a living for more money than most people ever see in a lifetime must be the best thing ever. Give and take.
    I guess when you say 'most people' you mean whole world because so many of those guys make less than $100k and although getting paid to play soccer if that is what you love to do must be freaking awesome, it is still a lot of really hard work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not a full back
    He is a defender though. I thought you guys were talking about defenders in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woooooo!!!!!! Polska reprezentacja!!!!!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/25...laxy-stars-out

Richter will be first test of Onstad's eyes as a scout

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I missed the part where these guys were taken against their will and enslaved and forced to play footy instead of doing some other job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually wasn't saying anything about how much they make.

Teams pay the players for the finished product, I pay for my personal enjoyment and entertainment.

My boss critiques my performance all the time. It's called a performance review and they are aimed at making employees better. If you're saying we are bosses because we pay to watch the players...well then I believe daily performance reviews are warranted, especially in TFC's case.

@VoxPop...lol