Page 14 of 98 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I don't want anyone over the age of 30 coming here, enough with this madness already.
    Which madness? Who do we have that's over 30? 3-4 guys?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my mind its more that hes oft injured most notably during playoffs too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I don't want anyone over the age of 30 coming here, enough with this madness already.
    why? the best players in the world hit their prime at 28-33

in MLS, you can play till your 36-38 if used correctly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC has a really bad history of overpaying for unmotivated players who come here and play well below standard. We have to get the right people who buy into a system. Since we don't have a system (thanks to our policy of hiring inexperience) then we're kinda screwed. Let's not spend for now. Let's sit on the cash and wait out Vanney, and then rebuild under an experienced coach who comes here with a plan, a system, and an identity to lift us out of the hole. I think next year is a loss (Vanney likely won't make it through the year) - and then a new coach (experienced and successful, hopefully - first time for everything) will require at least a full season to put his stamp on the team. I don't mind gambling time on a proven coach vs. a former player who'd like to be a coach some day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reminder: O'Dea is out of contract come January and fits Vanney's fetish for left footed centre backs

Ps. I know the prospect of signing him has already been fleshed out significantly just pointing it out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol Super. Writing off 2016 already?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Lol Super. Writing off 2016 already?
    Based on what we saw this year? Pretty much, yes. Obviously we will have a chance, and there's always Giovinco who can get us into the play-offs all by himself (as he did this year). But personally I think that we doubled down on inexperience and "same old, same old" when we decided to keep Vanney on as the head coach - and Manning didn't show much faith when he said that Vanney was on a short leach. I worry that we're worse off now also because the team clearly isn't backing Vanney. Could get ugly once the new season begins.

Having said that, I've renewed, so I'll try to work on my optimism this off season. Giovinco, Giovinco, Giovinco.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    ...Since we don't have a system (thanks to our policy of hiring inexperience) ....
    We didn't have a system under Mariner.

We do now - just not necessarily the right pieces to put it into place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We didn't have a system under Mariner.

We do now - just not necessarily the right pieces to put it into place.
    We arguably had a better system under Winter then Vanney, but it still did not go well.
    Experience helps
    Keeping Vanney looks like an unfortunate gamble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that Manning has outlined some milestones of progress for next season, it's not an open ended commitment to Vanney. This will either motivate him to do better or if not, he'll be replaced. I think that is fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    We arguably had a better system under Winter then Vanney, but it still did not go well.
    Experience helps
    Keeping Vanney looks like an unfortunate gamble.
    I'm not sure you can call what Aron Winter had a system. He had no idea how to implement anything and it showed.

People complain about Vanney's tactics not matching up to game situations at times but he's all-world compared to Winter. The latter was living in whimsical fantasy land with his decisions.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 11-14-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm not sure you can call what Aron Winter had a system. He had no idea how to implement anything and it showed.

People complain about Vanney's tactics not matching up to game situations at times but he's all-world compared to Winter. The latter was living in whimsical fantasy land with his decisions.
    Well, Winter still managed to get a gig with the Dutch under-19 NMT, so some well placed people obviously disagree with you.
    It is impossible to compare the poor roster back then, and what Vanney got here, but their defensive stats are pretty close
    indeed.
    My point was not getting AW back, but rather look for experience, the sooner the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps what he was peddling works for u-19 Dutch players but it never worked in MLS. Obviously the rosters were different, but it was also a relatively different era in the league. Winter had his opportunity to bring in players, they didn't cut it. Comparatively I'd still take Vanney and Bez over anything Winter offered. Take away the aura of Dutch Football the guy was just confused and overwhelmed.

Agreed look for experience. That said, nobody should consider Aron Winter an experienced coach.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 11-14-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he's not happy here, send him packing: http://gazzettaworld.gazzetta.it/new...?refresh_ce-cp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    If he's not happy here, send him packing: http://gazzettaworld.gazzetta.it/new...?refresh_ce-cp
    Interviews given in other languages don't always provide the best translations or interpretations......I'd like to see/read the entire interview before jumping to any conclusions, but those are some Strong words if thats true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone got a link to the original piece in Italian? I've tried navigating through Corriere dello Sport site but can't find it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Lol wtf? Nonsense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like it was an interview in their print edition. There are other articles online lifting quotes about Roma and their chances for the league this season and Totti and De Rossi.

http://www.gazzettagiallorossa.it/20...e-lo-scudetto/
    http://www.asromachannel.eu/notizie-...scudetto-59142

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter had his opportunity to bring in players, they didn't cut it. .
    To be fair, that's not true. Winter had Paul Mariner in charge of bringing in players. The same Paul Mariner who openly opposed what he was trying to do and refused to bring in players that Winter wanted, and then proceeded to bring in complete garbage when he was given full control. Winter might not have been the right guy for the job at the time, but he was hardly brought into an environment to succeed. No one could have succeeded in that environment (and no one ever did).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    To be fair, that's not true. Winter had Paul Mariner in charge of bringing in players. The same Paul Mariner who openly opposed what he was trying to do and refused to bring in players that Winter wanted, and then proceeded to bring in complete garbage when he was given full control. Winter might not have been the right guy for the job at the time, but he was hardly brought into an environment to succeed. No one could have succeeded in that environment (and no one ever did).
    I think he was in over his head because of MLS' peculiarities, but he was truly screwed by the front office because of the Mariner situation. The first thing Mariner did was sign a defender from South America who didn't even make it through training camp. And it snowballed from there. The two players Winter brought in, Soolsma and Koevermans, were both excellent. And when they played his system and it worked, like the win against LA at Rogers, they looked pretty good.

But he didn't know the league, and that you need tactical approaches that aren't technique reliant. It went about as well as most of us expected, I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I don't think you can put it 100% on Mariner. I very much doubt Javier Martina or Soolsama for example were Mariner inventions. People waxing poetic on our former coaches really bothers me, but especially Winter. The team under him was totally naive top to bottom.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soolsma was a great player. Behaviour problems though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter - the guy that got us to the semi's of the Concacaf Champions League- TFC's biggest achievement. That we dumped when Frings go injured and we went on a big losing streak? He was the guy we needed to be more patient with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did you guys think of Karl Ouimette, he looked pretty decent as a right back. JUST SAYIN

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    What did you guys think of Karl Ouimette, he looked pretty decent as a right back. JUST SAYIN
    I thought the CBs looked pretty good as well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Reminder: O'Dea is out of contract come January and fits Vanney's fetish for left footed centre backs

Ps. I know the prospect of signing him has already been fleshed out significantly just pointing it out

Given how bad Kantari has turned out to be, I'd take the swap in a heartbeat. At least O'Dea played with heart. It's not as if Bez has shown himself to be competent enough to find better for less. I'd be surprised if he even knows who O'Dea is.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be relevant.

So, apparently the league is considering raising the cap.

This was at the Men in Blazers expo today.

That's the former majority owner of Seattle being asked a question by Garber. Anybody really think Garber didn't know the answer coming?

Then we get Kraft Jr. chiming in.

Now admittedly that's Kraft Jr. but he's not going to say anything his Dad doesn't approve.

Later we got the view of the NYCFC head honcho

He also went on talking about how Viera would help US players get better.

So a raise in salary cap to get better international players.

Maybe not this season, but nothing is stopping MLS from adding to the cap unilaterally.

Not sure I'd want to add a 27 year old journeyman forward from Europe right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard something on Twitter about Ned Grabavoy getting released by NYCFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    De Guzman was stellar as well.. Isn't he on a one year deal with Ottawa?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I heard something on Twitter about Ned Grabavoy getting released by NYCFC
    Eric Wynalda suggested it. Not exactly loved by NYCFC supporters this past season. Getting up there.