Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Sad night tonight. Tonight was te first TFC game I've been to in 6 years (and I've been to most) where the away supporters owned our supporters.

Tonight - it was the Timbers Army's House.
    Wow. I'm glad I don't I'm not where you were. It may've been a slow start but the South was jumping last night. The TA had 2 dozen (well travelled. full props.) jumping for a lot of the game but by no means could we even here them where we were.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Possum Lodge in Beautiful High Park Toronto
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Wow. I'm glad I don't I'm not where you were. It may've been a slow start but the South was jumping last night. The TA had 2 dozen (well travelled. full props.) jumping for a lot of the game but by no means could we even here them where we were.
    Having sat for a couple of years with partial packs about 15 rows in front of the visiting fans section, being in that area if the home supporters in the section are quiet, is a completely different atmosphere where you think the opposing fans are dominating the stadium. From 119 you could see the Timbers fans going, but certainly we couldn't hear them over 111-113 and the SE corner.

Perspective is everything on that one i think.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Mariner acknowledges the slow start, and says in the post-game interview that there were "choice words" at halftime.

Next time, how about some "choice words" before the game starts? This isn't the first time we've seen this. Much of the Chicago game was also lethargic, and we've seen it for spurts at other times. I realize there were many first-team guys missing last night, and short portions of the game were actually better than I expected. Other times were piss poor. But there's no excuse for the frequent lethargy. Everyone had plenty of time to rest for this game. What's up, I thought Mariner was the great motivator? (Not compared to any other coach; just compared to what I expected from him.) We shall see, was that a new-manager bounce which is coming to an end?

BTW, I hope that Hassli's injury isn't serious. Maybe the same ankle as before...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    So Mariner acknowledges the slow start, and says in the post-game interview that there were "choice words" at halftime.

Next time, how about some "choice words" before the game starts? This isn't the first time we've seen this. Much of the Chicago game was also lethargic, and we've seen it for spurts at other times. I realize there were many first-team guys missing last night, and short portions of the game were actually better than I expected. Other times were piss poor. But there's no excuse for the frequent lethargy. Everyone had plenty of time to rest for this game. What's up, I thought Mariner was the great motivator? (Not compared to any other coach; just compared to what I expected from him.) We shall see, was that a new-manager bounce which is coming to an end?

BTW, I hope that Hassli's injury isn't serious. Maybe the same ankle as before...?
    Yeah, the slow start seems to be a habit at this point. The game reminded me a lot of the Colorado game actually. Incredibly poor first half. Definitely a better second with much more energy. But not as much possession as the Colorado game and obviously we didn't get the win. Definitely need to do better coming out the gate, or we'll be down 2 or 3-0 before we know it on Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    my question - why do they even have cops on the sideline if they aren't willing to be involved with anything?

the cop in the front of 112/111 watched the entire thing and never once reached for his radio. Even if he wasn't going to get involved, he could have radioed in a call to someone who would. Instead he just watched the shitshow like everyone else.
    not everyone else ... but yeah, lots of ppl were more interested in the scuffle in 110 ... outside of our two goals, the biggest cheer of the night came when the dude was hauled out. at the same time, while the big cheer was going on, portland was attacking the TFC goal. it was surreal to watch and hear that. i think most ppl missed it, seeing how some drunken idiot is far more fascinating than what we all paid to see.

biggest disappointment for me last night was seeing the vitriol and contempt coming from the middle of 112 directed toward 113 after portland tied the game ... U-sec was singing bohemian rhapsody when they scored, a large chunk in the middle of 112 (RPB?) started chanting 'It's all your fault" and pointing at 113. Might have been in jest, but it didn't seem like it. There was some real fury coming from some guys. And some real defensive postures and angry replies coming back from people in 113. Did not like that at all. Don't know if they were RPB or not in the middle of 112, assume some of you were, but whoever you are you looked like ridiculous fools.

It's not bad enough that the team we support stinks, and it's not bad enough that the majority of supporters sections are now sitting down and quietly watching games (or texting/tweeting with heads down for 90 mins), but in the one small area of the stadium where where we still have a tiny pocket of loud and proud supporters, we are now turning on each other along sectarian lines. Fuck. We should be coming together. We are a shadow of what we once were.

U-Sec singing bohemian rhapsody didnt cause the portland goal ... our piss poor defending last night did! Wake the fuck up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. Any reason why the Timbers Army was permitted to put up large banners in the south end? Has this happened with traveling supporters before? Seems uncool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sloangraham View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. Any reason why the Timbers Army was permitted to put up large banners in the south end? Has this happened with traveling supporters before? Seems uncool.
    Is that what that green monstrosity was?? I was wondering...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supporters solidarity for General Admission. It wasn't the TA but Toronto fans who put it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See this for more details :

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showth...eral-Admission

Polk around the hashtag if you want more deets, but it seems like folks in Toronto probably put it up for them.

Doesn't bother me - it's about solidarity of supporters in dealing with off field issues.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    not everyone else ... but yeah, lots of ppl were more interested in the scuffle in 110 ... outside of our two goals, the biggest cheer of the night came when the dude was hauled out. at the same time, while the big cheer was going on, portland was attacking the TFC goal. it was surreal to watch and hear that. i think most ppl missed it, seeing how some drunken idiot is far more fascinating than what we all paid to see.

biggest disappointment for me last night was seeing the vitriol and contempt coming from the middle of 112 directed toward 113 after portland tied the game ... U-sec was singing bohemian rhapsody when they scored, a large chunk in the middle of 112 (RPB?) started chanting 'It's all your fault" and pointing at 113. Might have been in jest, but it didn't seem like it. There was some real fury coming from some guys. And some real defensive postures and angry replies coming back from people in 113. Did not like that at all. Don't know if they were RPB or not in the middle of 112, assume some of you were, but whoever you are you looked like ridiculous fools.

It's not bad enough that the team we support stinks, and it's not bad enough that the majority of supporters sections are now sitting down and quietly watching games (or texting/tweeting with heads down for 90 mins), but in the one small area of the stadium where where we still have a tiny pocket of loud and proud supporters, we are now turning on each other along sectarian lines. Fuck. We should be coming together. We are a shadow of what we once were.

U-Sec singing bohemian rhapsody didnt cause the portland goal ... our piss poor defending last night did! Wake the fuck up.
    It was a bit wierd, it was in jest. However that bohemian rhapsody song is fun as hell but its ment for when we are getting blown out. Singing it while we are winning makes no sense to a lot of supporters both inside RPB and U-sector.

Can anyone find that email that went out suggesting the rangers come and see that Portland player?
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    It was a bit wierd, it was in jest. However that bohemian rhapsody song is fun as hell but its ment for when we are getting blown out. Singing it while we are winning makes no sense to a lot of supporters both inside RPB and U-sector.

Can anyone find that email that went out suggesting the rangers come and see that Portland player?
    http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showth...ainst-TFC!-YAY!
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if it materialised or not, but Kris Boyd was meant to be going to Williams Landing after game. That was what the Rangers fans were claiming pre game in pub.
    For all the hype surrounding him, he had a pretty poor game against a poor defence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone still has any doubts that Mariner is totally fucked and in over his head, last night's line up should be icing on the cake. 1: Playing Harden at right back and keeping Eckersley in middle? 2 Maud (sp?) playing starting as a holding midfield player? 3: Not changing the formation due to lack of first team players? I thought the players dictated the system not some foggy English guy who keeps on playing the same diamond midfield formation after getting rid of two players who can actually play as wingers and then bringing in players who are actually worse than the guys he got rid of. This situation is so sad and it still could get worse (paging Jim Brennan, you're on deck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    See this for more details :

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showth...eral-Admission

Polk around the hashtag if you want more deets, but it seems like folks in Toronto probably put it up for them.

Doesn't bother me - it's about solidarity of supporters in dealing with off field issues.
    Makes sense. Maybe should've been more from that angle, though? Just looked like the TA took over. There was another (indecipherable) green and white banner. Some weird equation-looking thing. Was curious about that one as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    If anyone still has any doubts that Mariner is totally fucked and in over his head, last night's line up should be icing on the cake. 1: Playing Harden at right back and keeping Eckersley in middle? 2 Maud (sp?) playing starting as a holding midfield player? 3: Not changing the formation due to lack of first team players? I thought the players dictated the system not some foggy English guy who keeps on playing the same diamond midfield formation after getting rid of two players who can actually play as wingers and then bringing in players who are actually worse than the guys he got rid of. This situation is so sad and it still could get worse (paging Jim Brennan, you're on deck)
    I was saying earlier there is no one to back up the central mid after Frings and Dunfield, and Maund playing there proved it. He clearly didn't know the positioning to play there. Poor Frings was basically alone in the midfield last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't that most people's issue with Winter?

Being stubborn with tactics and subs?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I was saying earlier there is no one to back up the central mid after Frings and Dunfield, and Maund playing there proved it. He clearly didn't know the positioning to play there. Poor Frings was basically alone in the midfield last night.
    Maund looked pretty lost in the middle. I hate to say it - but we really missed Dunfield!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Maund looked pretty lost in the middle. I hate to say it - but we really missed Dunfield!
    About 20 Trinidadians wished TFC had Terrible Terry in the line-up as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think one sequence in the second half last night typified Maund ‘s play for me. Wonder if anyone else remembers it.

Portland on the counter, but TFC have probably 4 or 5 players back. Maund is sitting in front of the back four and is the closest man to the attacking player who is looking to probe the defense. He backs off him, which seemed really odd but I thought “ok he’s probably just positioning himself for the next pass and trying to keep defensive shape rather than being dragged around”. I then see the next Timber’s player join the fold, run by Maund in front of our back four. Quick pass by the timbers to the runner and Maund is left standing in space doing nothing. He jogs back slowly while they are now running at our last line of defenders and the other timber’s player just runs by him as well and goes unmarked. Wanted to puke after seeing that.

If we rate this guy over Stinson (who is injured), we really need our heads examined.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well couple of things:

- Harden at RB was probably the best option as it's painful to have a slow Cann and a slow and lost Harden both at CB. At least Ecks pace can make up for what's lost with Cann. And if Ecks was at RB he would have pinched in far too often to cover our sketchy CBs like always did when placed out there and there would have been more goals like the tying goal when Morgan pinched in and left the wide man free. That was the best set up for what we had available and it was admittedly crap.

- Maund is shite and now it was proven. No one else available to go there so you just live with his uselessness for one game. I'm sure if Stinson was healthy he would have been there and been much better.

- What formation should we play at home? 4-5-1 would be the only other viable option but our midfield was already bare and I would hate us to play for low scoring draws at home when the playoffs are out of reach (like pulling a Scotland 4-6-0 or something). Might as well just try to win, what the hell. If anyone says a 4-3-3 formation then they are nuts because in no way could that back line hold up against any MLS team, even shitty Portland, with a short and dodgy midfield like we were stuck with last night. 4-4-2 was the only logical choice.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duct Tape View Post
    I hung my head from 119 across the field when i realized it was a guy in a Rangers shirt getting dragged out (though I'm a bit surprised that it sounds like he might of been fighting Rangers fans rather than the usual getting into it with a Celtic fan for no reason other than in-bred stupidity). As if the club given its atrocious management into almost oblivion in recent years and the morons who still think being sectarian is ok haven't given us a bad enough name, we don't need Rangers fans (or Celtic fans) bringing that stupidity to our games. That's why i've never worn anything Rangers to a TFC game, why would i, that's a team i support but not the team i am at the game to support. Most of the guys in 119 are Celtic fans and know i'm a Rangers fan, but other than good natured ribbing with friends, it never comes up at TFC games.
    There was a smattering of Bears throughout 110 last night, my guess would be around 30. There were 8 or so, older, couples with a banner, wearing the same t-shirts (couldn't really see what they said) and giving a big cheer for Steven Smith's name being announced…I assumed they were family. They cheered Boyd's name too…fair enough.

About 10 rows down there was another group with a mix of Rangers jerseys and t-shirts, perhaps 15 or 20 of them. Right from the get-go two or three of them started chirping and let the others around them "they had arrived". I looked down my row and could see the Gers sitting along from me were not comfortable…nor were a number down below.

To be honest I didn't really take much notice but immediately after the second Portland goal it all boiled over. There was an older guy wearing a TFC Edu jersey jumped up and got the attention of a cop at the bottom 110 and pointed out the skinny one, giving the universal "get him out" thumb symbol…the cop was totally disinterested. Another Rangers fan attempted to calm the situation and he got abuse from a couple of the others, a shove and "Fuck off!".

By this point ONE security guy appeared and was standing between the TFC support in 111 chanting "Celtic! Celtic!" and the 4 or 5 clowns that started the old "Come on down" shite. A beer from the Rangers group get tossed up into 111 and well…the rest has already been documented.

On a side note, my wife and I went out for a drink after the game and I saw the "TFC Edu" guy and a couple of Bears. I mentioned I saw his attempt to save his "own". He smiled and said you can't save people like that. You come here to get away from that shit and it follows you wherever you go.

Few guys know me on here but I've been involved with this group from the beginning and a number of us are members of the Old Firm. As Duct Tape says, there is always going to be ribbing and banter but this is an element of our support that we all despise.
    Last edited by Toronto_Bhoy; 08-16-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the one thing that stood out last night, is that Harden and Cann have got to go. I like Cann, and he's been a good servant to the club - but those two players are making over 200k between them - and that's a good chunk of change for another decent CB to go along O'Dea. If we can lose both of those two in the off season, and find one good CB, that will be a good bit of business. Can we just waive those two, is it as simple as that in the winter?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Well couple of things:

- Maund is shite and now it was proven. No one else available to go there so you just live with his uselessness for one game. I'm sure if Stinson was healthy he would have been there and been much better.
    Well Mariner has been playing Maund in midfield over Stinson for a bunch of games now, even when Stinson was healthy, usually bring Maund in as a sub. It never worked well, but he keeps doing it. I have no freaking clue why. Yesterday it was even more obvious that it wasn't working. I would rather see Oscar Cordon for a change after Maund has shown he's not doing it in midfield. Cordon was healthy & unused on the bench. Although not normally a DM, I think Cordon would have known more about what to do in midfield than Maund. In a pinch like yesterday, Maund was a half-decent defensive backup on the bench in case one of our defenders had gone down with injury.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Well Mariner has been playing Maund in midfield over Stinson for a bunch of games now, even when Stinson was healthy, usually bring Maund in as a sub. It never worked well, but he keeps doing it. I have no freaking clue why. Yesterday it was even more obvious that it wasn't working. I would rather see Oscar Cordon for a change after Maund has shown he's not doing it in midfield. Cordon was healthy & unused on the bench. Although not normally a DM, I think Cordon would have known more about what to do in midfield than Maund. In a pinch like yesterday, Maund was a half-decent defensive backup on the bench in case one of our defenders had gone down with injury.
    True but hopefully Mariner will see that Maund is crap and we won't have to see him again. Ever. I understand why Mariner would stick with him a bit and gave him a shot as he has the size and athleticism to be a good DM. He just has no idea how to play football at all.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    True but hopefully Mariner will see that Maund is crap and we won't have to see him again. Ever. I understand why Mariner would stick with him a bit and gave him a shot as he has the size and athleticism to be a good DM. He just has no idea how to play football at all.
    That and after only 6 games Mariner wants to make sure the last vestiges of DeRo don't turn into something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting in Mariners post game presser that he's reasonably happy with what's going on.

He explained giving away the game by saying that it's because we had a bunch of guys out, and Hassli hasn't played much, and Avila hasn't played much (hahaha).

He also flat out blamed the players and their lack of attention to detail and execution for the conceded goals. (novel idea....one that I heard a previous coach mention LOL)

When asked what's changed between the start of his tenure and now he fails to mention the fact that he doesn't have a striker scoring every single game (Koevermans).

Sounds like a whole bunch of great excuses and lots of delusions.

Add to all this that Portland are fucking atrocious.

I'm glad he continues to be reasonably pleased.

He's lost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Mariner is destroying the team Winter built... hes getting rid of our most technical/skilled players and signing mls rejects, hes rotting the youth on the bench and sometimes they dont even make it to the bench, and hes . Hes probably going to get rid of Avila and sign some random guy from Bermuda and call him the next "Messi". He has to get fired by the end of the season or we will only see like 5000 people at BMO next season watching this 1960s English shitshow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know who had that south park sign that said "shiver me timbers", but that had the upper 115 laughing. Good creativity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iy12l View Post
    Paul Mariner is destroying the team Winter built... hes getting rid of our most technical/skilled players and signing mls rejects, hes rotting the youth on the bench and sometimes they dont even make it to the bench, and hes . Hes probably going to get rid of Avila and sign some random guy from Bermuda and call him the next "Messi". He has to get fired by the end of the season or we will only see like 5000 people at BMO next season watching this 1960s English shitshow.

I agree but, How bout just saying Shitshow
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 08-17-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: personal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iy12l View Post
    hahhaha..

.. *cries into his beer*