Page 173 of 174 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174 LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,190 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find the Kaye and Laryea player jersey number changes interesting/odd. Anyone have any insight to share; an explanation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Find the Kaye and Laryea player jersey number changes interesting/odd. Anyone have any insight to share; an explanation?

I'm just digging the Gretzky-esque confidence of Diomande.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kaye usually wears #14 (Canada,LAFC,Rapids), but Okello had it last season, so he took #8
    Laryea usually wears #22 (Canada, previous TFC stint), but Shaffelburg had it last season, so he took #19

Now that those players left, the numbers opened up, so they returned to their usual numbers
    Last edited by rydermike; 02-25-2023 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Kaye usually wears #14 (Canada,LAFC,Rapids), but Okello had it last season, so he took #8
    Laryea usually wears #22 (Canada, previous TFC stint), but Shaffelburg had it last season, so he took #19

Now that those players left, the numbers opened up.
    Thanks rydermike. That makes sense. I should have figured...

EDIT: Funny... IIRC, Mamah wore 14 at NFFC?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-25-2023 at 12:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT: Funny... IIRC, Mamah wore 14 at NFFC?
    Yeah, but basically the same thing, 22 was already taken, so he had to take an open number

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    I have watched him play, i watched an awful lot of MLS on DAZN and already have my MLS Season Pass on Apple TV, i feel their is potential, and lots of it, i just feel the price was somewhat steep, lets hope Servania develops well, and proves me wrong, im big in being proven wrong which means our team is excelling, even if it means for me eating my words, its a new season and new opportunities, lets see what happens, and if we can get closer to returning back to our 2017 ways
    Fair enough that you’ve watched him but your initial post was that he was going to be a flop and we shouldn’t have retained any JJ’s salary and given up an international spot. That’s a huge difference. Young midfielders with lots of potential are exactly who you trade for when trying to get rid of a striker you think can’t produce at the club anymore. The international spot of 2023 is irrelevant as we won’t need it due to the current MLS roster rules. Also, The retention is hardly anything.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^this… you have to take a chance and clearly they wouldn’t have moved JJ if he was getting along. I think he got lost with the Poz shuffle, never the same. Most importantly, i thought the Hedges connection someone referenced is pretty telling. You would have hoped they consulted his opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    ^this… you have to take a chance and clearly they wouldn’t have moved JJ if he was getting along. I think he got lost with the Poz shuffle, never the same. Most importantly, i thought the Hedges connection someone referenced is pretty telling. You would have hoped they consulted his opinion.
    I found it interesting that BB expressed that he didn’t know why JJ had so much trouble in the second half of the season. Either BB is just not wanting to discuss it (even so it’s rare for a manager/sporting director to profess ignorance publicly about a matter that he’s supposed to understand) or it suggests a blind spot in his understanding of the basics of what was happening on the pitch last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I found it interesting that BB expressed that he didn’t know why JJ had so much trouble in the second half of the season. Either BB is just not wanting to discuss it (even so it’s rare for a manager/sporting director to profess ignorance publicly about a matter that he’s supposed to understand) or it suggests a blind spot in his understanding of the basics of what was happening on the pitch last season.
    I think it's a pretty reasonable approach instead of just blasting the guy, especially if he's someone you're trying to sell. I think it's just a manager keeping his cards close to his chest

I think JJs season can be explained by him being, frankly, pretty lucky in the first half. At some point he had a goal per shot ratio that was out of this world, which is unsustainable and a sign that he wasn't that great at getting clear chances in this tean. Eventually, you either figure that part out or the goals dry up. I think he was a good player in the wrong team and that was covered up by a bit of a lucky streak. I think there's a future for him in this league but it wasn't here.

But yeah how much of his salary we're eating will be interesting to know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I think it's a pretty reasonable approach instead of just blasting the guy, especially if he's someone you're trying to sell. I think it's just a manager keeping his cards close to his chest

I think JJs season can be explained by him being, frankly, pretty lucky in the first half. At some point he had a goal per shot ratio that was out of this world, which is unsustainable and a sign that he wasn't that great at getting clear chances in this tean. Eventually, you either figure that part out or the goals dry up. I think he was a good player in the wrong team and that was covered up by a bit of a lucky streak. I think there's a future for him in this league but it wasn't here.

But yeah how much of his salary we're eating will be interesting to know
    He said this after he moved JJ but yeah, Bradley is often testy with the press and maybe a bald “I don’t know” seemed easier than other sorts of deflections. I think that Vanney might have been a bit more honest and stated one or two of the obvious truths about the technical lack of ‘fit’. One could speak without blasting.

On the other hand, maybe on a level BB doesn’t totally understand. During the season when he spoke about JJ he didn’t entirely make sense either. ‘We’re trying to get him going’ was never followed by how that might be done, as sometimes one might expect.

Unless Dallas is spending more these days (like most everyone??) I figure they’re willing to spend in the range of what they paid Urutti, 700,000-ish. The two play the same role, I expect. One of two strikers on the field who are not expected to carry the whole load of scoring unless streakily. Both guys seem like streaky scorers who, when they’re not scoring, can do other useful things on the field in in the right system, including playing wide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, I just do not think Mamah is going anywhere in the summer window... @23sec...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, I just do not think Mamah is going anywhere in the summer window... @23sec...

I mean, Jesus was in the initial reveal and he got traded like a week later. This is just promotional material and Richie is a Canadian. Only makes sense to have him there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His nickname is Mamah?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    His nickname is Mamah?
    It's his middle name. Mr. Inbettween just likes to call him that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    It's his middle name. Mr. Inbettween just likes to call him that
    Ah, okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Insigne is out for more then 6 weeks do we look for another DP ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob only using two subs (one because of injury) tells you what he thinks of the players on the bench. Gotta think some more depth signings are incoming before April.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Bob only using two subs (one because of injury) tells you what he thinks of the players on the bench. Gotta think some more depth signings are incoming before April.
    So true. However not an easy fix if we are at the salary cap limit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realize I keep harping on this and have since he left -- and people keep telling me he wasn't a fit -- but we sure could use Jacob Fucking Shaffelburg right about now.

What am I missing? He's fast, he's clever with the ball, he finishes reasonably well, he's smart in linkup (as he demonstrated multiple times yesterday).

I get moving a player if he wants to move and with his prior relationship with Gary Smith he may have known he'd get more starting time there, fair game. But we gave away a dangerous young Canadian player -- by far and away, so far, the best we've had in the last five years -- for nothing.

This, to me, is part of the judgment of our management team overall. It has to be. It was a foolish decision when our star player, in the same spot, is 32.

We still need someone to play that spot. We'd have done better with Shaff there than Ayo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I realize I keep harping on this and have since he left -- and people keep telling me he wasn't a fit -- but we sure could use Jacob Fucking Shaffelburg right about now.

What am I missing? He's fast, he's clever with the ball, he finishes reasonably well, he's smart in linkup (as he demonstrated multiple times yesterday).

I get moving a player if he wants to move and with his prior relationship with Gary Smith he may have known he'd get more starting time there, fair game. But we gave away a dangerous young Canadian player -- by far and away, so far, the best we've had in the last five years -- for nothing.

This, to me, is part of the judgment of our management team overall. It has to be. It was a foolish decision when our star player, in the same spot, is 32.

We still need someone to play that spot. We'd have done better with Shaff there than Ayo.
    It speaks to a bigger picture of cap management, something we've been awful at since bez left. We have traded away some serviceable, cheap options and I believe history tells us the teams that win (including us) tend to make good use of those lower cap hit, rotation or even starting players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It speaks to a bigger picture of cap management, something we've been awful at since bez left. We have traded away some serviceable, cheap options and I believe history tells us the teams that win (including us) tend to make good use of those lower cap hit, rotation or even starting players.
    Cap management was poor with him here too as well as in Columbus. Our only hope is major loosening of cap rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Cap management was poor with him here too as well as in Columbus. Our only hope is major loosening of cap rules.
    And yet we had the deepest squad in, at the time, maybe league history *shrugs*

Either way don't want to start this debate again. The fact is since he left, whatever you think of when he was here, our cap management has been awful. And lots of decisions we make tell me it isn't getting better (though we don't see the full picture yet)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either way don't want to start this debate again. The fact is since he left, whatever you think of when he was here, our cap management has been awful. And lots of decisions we make tell me it isn't getting better (though we don't see the full picture yet)
    My fear is that the Insigne contract could end up being worse than the last Altidore contract, a huge investment which will restrict the club's ability to make other DP signings, for an oft injured player who makes a minimal contribution. The club could have used the money spent on Insigne and instead bought 2 younger players who maybe wouldn't have sold tickets but actually helped the club win. This signing was made for all the wrong reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    My fear is that the Insigne contract could end up being worse than the last Altidore contract, a huge investment which will restrict the club's ability to make other DP signings, for an oft injured player who makes a minimal contribution. The club could have used the money spent on Insigne and instead bought 2 younger players who maybe wouldn't have sold tickets but actually helped the club win. This signing was made for all the wrong reasons.

its all about selling tickets for the argo president ,he has no idea how to build a futbol club.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was his work that ran Beita out of town, re-signed Bono & Jozy as well as VDW. We had the deepest squad in 2017 then it went to shit in one off season. He did similar in Columbus but it seems he is getting it back on track again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was his work that ran Beita out of town, re-signed Bono & Jozy as well as VDW. We had the deepest squad in 2017 then it went to shit in one off season. He did similar in Columbus but it seems he is getting it back on track again.
    Fair enough but he built that 2017 MLS squad and he won another MLS Cup in Columbus. I would take Bez over Manning any day of the week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy reupped 2 months after he left if my googling is correct . And our squad went to shit so much they made the cup two years later with mostly his squad?

And at Columbus he won a championship while our crew took a budget he could only dream of and flushed it down a black hole

Either way I'm not even saying he was anything, just we've been particularly bad at cap management since he left
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 02-26-2023 at 09:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it makes anyone feel any better, Ralph Priso has been absolute garbage for the Rapids tonight.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor kid was doing so well and has such potential. First kid to seamlessly transition into an impactful role before his unlucky knee injury. Anyone know whats been happening to him at Colorado? Hope he bounces back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=MikeForbes;1980582]If it makes anyone feel any better, Ralph Priso has been absolute garbage for the Rapids tonight.

the team was garbage ,calling his play absolute garbage is a over the top statement .he got 6.9 rating which isnt bad for a 4 nil loss
    regardless how good he is or isnt.that was a brutal trade