Page 115 of 191 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125165 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,450 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    https://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/l...ldo-toronto-fc

Salcedo as a DP? I certainly hope not.
    This would severely take the shine off this deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    This would severely take the shine off this deal
    Would depend if we can buy it down or not. But as an outright use of a spot? Feels like an over-spend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    I'd like to point out that Insigne chose us over a 7 million euro offer from Newcastle - we've already beaten them out for one offer.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/news/20...renzo-insigne/
    I think that was just a negotiating tactic to get the price down on their real target: Chris Wood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically a DP just needs to make more than $612.5k. So he could in theory be a DP at the start of the season and be dropped down to TAM level when Insigne arrives. I also don't really trust any non-North America sources with MLS roster rules. Even NA based reporters screw it up often enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious to see what happens w/ the deal. Singh makes it sound like might not just be a straight swap. Hopefully we hear about this tomorrow. There’s still a shit ton that needs to be done with this roster right now. They need to get moving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the Salcedo deal is true I'd bet any money he's not a DP but a paid down contract with GAM or TAM. I don't buy it. He'd be a DP if we paid his transfer fee and that's why we're swapping, I think

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I think that was just a negotiating tactic to get the price down on their real target: Chris Wood.
    B I G W O O D

I do think that TFC can outbid anyone for Belotti if they need to, but at some point you've gotta look and say 'there's gotta be better'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Improving the backline now will definitely help us to stay afloat until Insigne and *Insert DP striker here* can arrive in the summer and Ayo (when is he signing?) gets back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    B I G W O O D

I do think that TFC can outbid anyone for Belotti if they need to, but at some point you've gotta look and say 'there's gotta be better'.
    Lol. I like Chris Wood actually, but I think Newcastle got him because he's the only player who can score on their relegation rival Burnley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Technically a DP just needs to make more than $612.5k. So he could in theory be a DP at the start of the season and be dropped down to TAM level when Insigne arrives. I also don't really trust any non-North America sources with MLS roster rules. Even NA based reporters screw it up often enough.
    In their defence, the league is largely non-transparent about this stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Improving the backline now will definitely help us to stay afloat until Insigne and *Insert DP striker here* can arrive in the summer and Ayo (when is he signing?) gets back.
    He just posted an insta story in TFC training gear so i'm guessing its done? Though given he's injured and got injured last season his treatment/recovery is still TFCs responsibility regardless of contract status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Anyone join the Nottingham Forest facebook group. Someone there posted a video from a kid in the US (I'm assuming US because of the accent) wearing a TFC jersey giving his assessment of Richie. His analysis of Richie was pretty bang on. The guy is clearly very knowledgeable about TFC. Not sure why but his face keeps coming to my mind as you all talk about Will Forbes.
    Is it the kid with glasses with all the hats in the background? He posts a ton of his tfc videos on reddit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    He just posted an insta story in TFC training gear so i'm guessing its done? Though given he's injured and got injured last season his treatment/recovery is still TFCs responsibility regardless of contract status.
    I could be wrong but I recall someone saying last week that Ayo won't be ready until summer either.

We really do need to sign at least one more striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    There is exactly zero market for Jozy under his current contract. Bought out, free agent and willing to take a pay cut with a huge cheque in his back pocket? Sure. Maybe if he's willing to waive millions of dollars and take a pay cut to go elsewhere, sure, but he'd be crazy to do that on his last big contract. But willing to fully take over TFCs contract? 0.0% chance. Nobody, anywhere, in any league, under any circumstances. It's not happening.
    It’s a big negotiation - on several fronts. And if Jozy looks like he can play, their hand is strengthened, including with their Soteldo negotiations. Strikers who can score like he can - of fit - are exceptionally rare. It makes no sense from a bargaining perspective to not try to showcase him - unless he didn’t really recover from his surgery and is going to have to retire. In which case it doesn’t make sense that nothing has happened yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    It’s a big negotiation - on several fronts. And if Jozy looks like he can play, their hand is strengthened, including with their Soteldo negotiations. Strikers who can score like he can - of fit - are exceptionally rare. It makes no sense from a bargaining perspective to not try to showcase him - unless he didn’t really recover from his surgery and is going to have to retire. In which case it doesn’t make sense that nothing has happened yet.
    I know what you’re saying but I just don’t see it bridging the gap. If he’s getting $3 million plus a year, even a significant rebound in form would only see him earning a fraction of that.

He won’t be able to shed the perception he has attitude issues and the long track record of injuries even if he’s filling the net.

If I were a GM with limited options, I’d consider giving him one year, a half million dollar contract with performance incentives. If I had options, I wouldn’t even bother.

He is potentially someone else’s Dom Dwyer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no strengthening our hand. Jozy has 6 league goals in the past 2 seasons (total, not 6 each season, but 2 and 4), to outsiders there is no pitch that this is somebody with a hard to find goal scorers touch. On recent form, quite the opposite.

Add in the fact that everybody knows we have to buy him out before the season starts, and that his last two managers have cited issues with him publicly, and we have less than no leverage. There is no chance whatsoever we could showcase in any way shape or form that will inspire any club anywhere in world football to eat his current contract.

And if nobody will touch his contract Jozy himself would be crazy to do anything but run down the clock and get the money he's owed and then go sign for a much smaller amount elsewhere

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    There is no strengthening our hand. Jozy has 6 league goals in the past 2 seasons, to outsiders there is no pitch that this is somebody with a hard to find goal scorers touch. On recent form, quite the opposite.

Add in the fact that everybody knows we have to buy him out before the season starts, and that his last two managers have cited issues with him publicly, and we have less than no leverage. There is no chance whatsoever we could showcase in any way shape or form that will inspire any club anywhere in world football to eat his current contract.
    I don't think Mighty or anybody thinks anyone is taking his current contract.

Mighty would be right if Jozy were inclined to play ball with TFC, because a new deal could maybe be deducted from the buyout amount (and even better, it wouldnt be a buyout, it'd be by mutual agreement). But I guess Jozy, if his attendance was demanded, would just say he is injured and not show, and so TFC are saving everyone the kabuki.

There was I thought a slim chance Jozy would come back, and also a bigger chance he would try to showcase himself, mainly for USMNT purposes, but I guess Jozy is hardballing manning and just wants to get fully paid out, then find a deal on his own. It might make sense financially, but it might not. I agree with Mighty, it slows him down and potentially hurts him in terms of finding a new deal. A lot of teams Jozy might play for will go another way in February if Jozy isn't on the market yet.

When Jozy speaks on this, it's going to be epic.

(My guess of what the market will bear is $500K. A lot of teams need strikers, and his pedigree is 10x what Dwyer's was. Someone will take him, and not just for $200K.)
    Last edited by ensco; 01-13-2022 at 06:21 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don't think Mighty or anybody thinks anyone is taking his current contract.

Mighty would be right if Jozy were inclined to play ball with TFC, because a new deal could maybe be deducted from the buyout amount. But I guess Jozy if compelled to attend would just say he is injured and not show, and so they are saving everyone the kabuki.

There was I thought a chance he would come back, and also a chance he would try to showcase himself, mainly for USMNT purposes, but I guess Jozy just wants to get paid out, then find a deal for $500K or whatever

(That's my guess of what the market will bear. A lot of teams need strikers, and his pedigree is 10x what Dwyer's was. Someone will take him, and not just for $200K.)
    Yeah if Jozy would take a pay cut for sure, but if I was him I wouldn't. It may be the last chance to earn significant money in his entire life, I'd take every penny and don't judge him one bit for doing the same.

Looks pretty clear it's exactly as you say, Jozy is saying 'pay me' and then will go find a 500k deal elsewhere. Nothing more we can do

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy is gone folks, that's the buyout.

He won't be at training camp this week, because he's gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Jozy thing is a part of some people having just that bit of hope that Jozy will come back, stay healthy, score 15 goals and everything will be like it was in 2016.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Jozy thing is a part of some people having just that bit of hope that Jozy will come back, stay healthy, score 15 goals and everything will be like it was in 2016.
    Yeah. Sad thing is there's no chance of that happening.

Iconic player for this club but it's time to move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t write Jozy off just yet. If he’s owed 3.5 million this year but they convert it to 4.5 million over 3 years I’m pretty sure he stays.

I’m not saying I want this but every day we don’t hear anything makes me think a buyout isn’t such a sure thing.

Note: I attempted to read the MLS rules on buyouts but I stopped as I could feel my brain capacity getting smaller. If someone else wants to investigate and inform on the buyout dates that would be great but I can’t risk reading the MLS rules and coming away dumber than I currently am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy was done a few years ago. Bringing him back again and not learning the lesson for a 3rd year would be madness.

Obviously they are shopping him. The problem is his big salary that he isn't going to get anywhere else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So with Insigne signing and Salcedo being swapped for Soteldo, what are TFCs biggest needs?

Most would point to a DP striker as need #1.

We know that another depth CB is being looked at - Lukas McNaughton.

We need a replacement for Laryea at FB. Beside Shaff, we don't have many threats on the wing. A winger/fullback would also be a good idea - this would have been Raheem Edwards who turned TFC down for LA Galaxy recently. Marhsall-Rutty might be able to play more this year, but who knows. I'm definitely not counting on Jayden Nelson after his performances last year.
    Last edited by Soccerpro; 01-13-2022 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    So with Insigne signing and Salcedo being swapped for Soteldo, what are TFCs biggest needs?

Most would point to a DP striker as need #1.

We know that another depth CB is being looked at - Lukas McNaughton.

We need a replacement for Laryea at FB. Beside Shaff, we don't have many threats on the wing. A winger/fullback would also be a good idea - this would have been Raheem Edwards who turned TFC down for LA Galaxy recently. Marhsall-Rutty might be able to play more this year, but who knows. I'm definitely not counting on Jayden Nelson after his performances last year.
    Striker is definitely gonna be the priority. You can't pay Insigne that much money and not give him a reliable, high quality striker to set up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    Don’t write Jozy off just yet. If he’s owed 3.5 million this year but they convert it to 4.5 million over 3 years I’m pretty sure he stays.

I’m not saying I want this but every day we don’t hear anything makes me think a buyout isn’t such a sure thing.

Note: I attempted to read the MLS rules on buyouts but I stopped as I could feel my brain capacity getting smaller. If someone else wants to investigate and inform on the buyout dates that would be great but I can’t risk reading the MLS rules and coming away dumber than I currently am.
    You have to buyout the player before the season starts. So February 26th.

That’s why there hasn’t been a rush to get it done. TFC is exploring all options to get him off the books. Not going to happen though, he’s owed too much money. Tigres was probably the last best hope.

And I’m sorry, but adding more guaranteed years and money to his contract would be asinine. No chance of that happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s actually the other way around. The fact that he is likely be leaving has led some to invent stories about his past that simplify are not true. His injuries did not start because of laziness or anything else; Vanney did not call him out publicly for lack of fitness or being a problem in the locker room ever - the only coach that did was Armas and you have to agree that it is in Jozy’s favour that he did; etc.

My point is quite different. It doesn’t make sense to have him not train in behalf of the club. It’s like folding and then saying hit me. If he can’t play, there is no reason to delay a buyout; if you are trying to move him in some way or in a swap with Tigre’s - he has to be training. Nothing to do with nostalgia. Ensco has offered one explanation and he may be right. But it’s still odd.

As for Jozy:

Legend

As good a goal scorer as we will ever see in MLS

Terrible injury history.

Showed at the end of last season that he can still put it in the net.

If he can show he is fit, can be a difference maker for many clubs enough for them to want him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    You have to buyout the player before the season starts. So February 26th.

That’s why there hasn’t been a rush to get it done. TFC is exploring all options to get him off the books. Not going to happen though, he’s owed too much money. Tigres was probably the last best hope.

And I’m sorry, but adding more guaranteed years and money to his contract would be asinine. No chance of that happening.
    I was only joking, I’m aware of the buyout phase but I disagree they are taking their time to explore all options. Nobody is taking him on so what there really to explore? There’s two options, buyout or re-sign at a lower cost and that’s it. Trade is not an option so I don’t buy it that they are taking their time to see if anyone is interested. (If there’s a trade then build a statue of Manning at BMO because he’d be doing Gods work) Usually you decide and act on a situation with a club legend where you may not come out looking great no matter what route you choose but you don’t let it fester. Right now it’s festering.

My point was the not deciding part is an indicator of them considering keeping him to save some face with the fan base. Giving a club legend a million to save face with the fans seems like a small price to pay and the longer it drags the more likely that is. TFC have money and have done dumber things before so don’t underestimate their potential to do something stupid like extending him at a lower AAV so he’s not DP is all I’m saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s actually the other way around. The fact that he is likely be leaving has led some to invent stories about his past that simplify are not true. His injuries did not start because of laziness or anything else; Vanney did not call him out publicly for lack of fitness or being a problem in the locker room ever - the only coach that did was Armas and you have to agree that it is in Jozy’s favour that he did; etc.

My point is quite different. It doesn’t make sense to have him not train in behalf of the club. It’s like folding and then saying hit me. If he can’t play, there is no reason to delay a buyout; if you are trying to move him in some way or in a swap with Tigre’s - he has to be training. Nothing to do with nostalgia. Ensco has offered one explanation and he may be right. But it’s still odd.

As for Jozy:

Legend

As good a goal scorer as we will ever see in MLS

Terrible injury history.

Showed at the end of last season that he can still put it in the net.

If he can show he is fit, can be a difference maker for many clubs enough for them to want him.
    Tricky, somewhat mysterious situation unless the buyout and/or move is happening very soon.

Otherwise, I agree. He can’t be expected to be fit all the time, but when fit he can still score, still has soft feet, great link up play from a big man, can hold the ball up, good movement, can mentor young strikers. In the right situation (which we had only with Giovinco on the pitch/roster) he could still contribute. He played through injury for us but after Giovinco left we needed him to be fit all or most of the time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy is a club legend because of 2017

Hope for his sake he gets a trade to somewhere he likes.

He will be bought out.