Page 66 of 191 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless if its net or gross at minimum it doubles the current highest players wage.

https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Regardless if its net or gross at minimum it doubles the current highest players wage.

https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide
    That is exactly the point I have been trying to make; put succinctly. Thank you Richard. I do not see how this does not skew the league dynamics. After TFC won the Treble, I think there had been a lot of team salary creep. So much so, that I believed, as some others may have, TFC found themselves with their backs against the wall. To get around or through it, in a 'the tide lifts all boats' manner, it seems they just decided to smash the wall and let the flood in.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-01-2022 at 06:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Insigne is coming it could mean Jozy staying. Let’s see. We will need a proper striker, and the Italian ones seem to have fallen off the table. EDIT. That didn’t age well https://twitter.com/transfersmls/status/1477408989944201224?s=21
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-01-2022 at 09:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I hope Criscito is one of them Italian defenders that ages like a fine wine....
    Criscito has been underappreciated throughout his career. His sojourn to Zenit in his prime hurt is image in Italy and chances with the national team. But clearly, he isn't opposed to moving to another (cold) country.

He's a natural left-back who transitioned into more of a CB as he's gotten older. Solid penalty-taker. Really would have preferred this move to be made a few years ago, but he's a workhorse and would still provide value.

But a DP? Hell nah, going to assume that isn't the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how to link in tweets but there is one of Giovinco talking about wanting to play alongside isigne and belotti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Not sure how to link in tweets but there is one of Giovinco talking about wanting to play alongside isigne and belotti

Here ya go

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, it’s just a European thing. I remember my dad once questioning why Canada shows salaries in gross. I shrugged him off initially but now when I think about it, it is pretty stupid. For those fortunate enough to be making 100k a year which is something many strive for, the reality is that they’re only getting $72,916 net. What’s even more odd is that when we look at purchases we do the opposite and look at their net value as opposed to the gross. For instance we advertise houses at say $500k, but that doesn’t factor in the legal, transfer and tax costs associated. So in essence we overestimate our income and underestimate our purchases.

Someone please pull me out of this wormhole.
    Along these lines, I have noticed something else like this in life, which is that 95% of people understate their commute to work. If it's 30 minutes, they say it's 20 minutes. If it's 50 minutes, they say 40. Doesn’t matter how long the commute is, people do this.

We are all kind of hard to explain.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vaughan is going to go nuts over this Seba interview.

If there wasn't a salary cap and all those GAM/TAM/etc. rules or if Giovinco was a little more reasonable about salary this totally would happen.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-01-2022 at 06:47 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Never thought Seba was bad mouthing TFC in an earlier interview last week, the man is put class , need to get Seba back in Red Let’s do this Manning

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Along these lines, I have noticed something else like this in life, which is that 95% of people understate their commute to work. If it's 30 minutes, they say it's 20 minutes. If it's 50 minutes, they say 40. Doesn’t matter how long the commute is, people do this.

We are all kind of hard to explain.
    It's also why retailers advertise prices without HST included, although they are totally allowed to advertise HST included prices. Why do humans feel $100 plus HST is somehow cheaper than $113 HST included? There's something not rational about us all, despite traditional economic theory being based on humans being 100% rational.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I'm glad to see TFC push the envelope with salary. The last thing I want to see is the league stuck in neutral. They did it before with the Bloody Big Deal and it looks like they're dragging the league up a notch again with Insigne and whoever else they bring in. With their sports channels they know what they need to do. If they ever want to get into the Top 5 or 6 league's in the world, MLS needs to have a Top 5 or 6 salary budget in order to secure a Top 5 or 6 TV contract. Nobody is going to pay billions in TV money to watch the Zavaletta's and Mullins of the world. No disrespect to those guys but the TV contract is what drives the bus and although we're a ways away from the final goal, we need to inch things closer each year and drag the cheapskates along with us.

And while we're at it ... a front three of Insigne, Belotti and Giovinco would make for good TV
    Last edited by buddies; 01-01-2022 at 07:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's also why retailers advertise prices without HST included, although they are totally allowed to advertise HST included prices. Why do humans feel $100 plus HST is somehow cheaper than $113 HST included? There's something not rational about us all, despite traditional economic theory being based on humans being 100% rational.
    And the fact that 99.99 seems way cheaper than 100.00. I'll look at something that's 99.99 and I'll say it's 100 dollars and be fully aware of it, but the fact it's 99.99 still makes it seem better than the triple digit flat number (and we got rid of the penny, so we don't even save that cent anyways, even without considering tax lol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    Personally I'm glad to see TFC push the envelope with salary. The last thing I want to see is the league stuck in neutral. They did it before with the Bloody Big Deal and it looks like they're dragging the league up a notch again with Insigne and whoever else they bring in. With their sports channels they know what they need to do. If they ever want to get into the Top 5 or 6 league's in the world, MLS needs to have a Top 5 or 6 salary budget in order to secure a Top 5 or 6 TV contract. Nobody is going to pay billions in TV money to watch the Zavaletta's and Mullins of the world. No disrespect to those guys but the TV contract is what drives the bus and although we're a ways away from the final goal, we need to inch things closer each year and drag the cheapskates along with us.

And while we're at it ... a front three of Insigne, Belotti and Giovinco would make for good TV
    Right. Could it make ticket prices go up? Maybe. But then they'd be stupid to raise them above the level of fan acceptability.

But would you be willing to pay slightly more to watch a SuperTeam every week? I would be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what’s the estimated fee for Insigne to come in February instead of free transfer? Any reports?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    So what’s the estimated fee for Insigne to come in February instead of free transfer? Any reports?
    This account says 7M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I'm still not convinced this is happening and I feel like in the end we will have been used pretty hard for him to get a bigger deal elsewhere (see Kawhi 2019). And to say he's coming in January seems even more crazy considering Napoli are in 3rd.

But let's have some fun with it. (everything i'm about to type is fantasy, BUT, could actually be reasons as to why he'd consider coming here in January)

I can only assume Insigne is more concerned about life outside of football / time with his family. I mean moving to MLS is about lifestyle change. Let's be real. the football is still competitive on the world scale, but it's not top flight.
    So maybe playing out the full season at Napoli is not even a concern for him. He may be ready to transition now to get the next phase of his life rolling.
    Maybe he wants to settle in to the city and club over the first half of the year and establish a foundation so that once school ends in June, he brings the family over for the summer and then his kids can start school in September.
    This is all assuming that he spoke to Giovinco and his family and want to replicate that experience.

Another angle as to why he would come in January and this one is gangster/political:
    Maybe he is willing to take a hit and do his current club a huge favour. A thank you gift to help them in this transfer window. Napoli are going to lose him on the free in the summer so maybe he does them a solid by agreeing to leave early so that Napoli gets a transfer fee out of it. He helps out the club, maybe the italian FA is happy about one of their clubs getting an injection of cash and his place on the NT isn't as over as people may think.

Again this all seems crazy considering their position in the table. But I haven't been following Serie A this year to know how ingrained he is to their current success.
    Share some of your sentiments jabbronies; lots of crazy. Unless something really nasty has happened to cause a complete breakdown with the coach, management and/or ownership at Napoli, I do not see LI coming here to TFC until the SerieA season's over; end of May earliest and w/o any R&R. I even think like you he would be gangster enough to help the team politically and absorb any Ultra backlash; just any other year, but not this one given the circumstances. I think it would damage his general football standing and any legacy w/Napoli at this time. LI is their Captain... he is/was a poster boy for Siamo il Napoli; even if he is being subbed or coming on off the bench more frequently these days. How beloved he still is and his value can be debated; e.g. insert Altidore here They are 3rd! still in the Scudetto hunt, even though if Inter's form continues no team will be able to challenge IMO. He or Napoli have WC qualifying, Europa and Scudetto to resolve, which only begin to get squared away starting March IMO. Why does he walk away from those now? Maybe he's being pushed, maybe SerieA/Team finances are in more of a mess then some think, maybe he's part of the mercenary lot.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-01-2022 at 09:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if they offer 4 it’s likely done. Italian clubs are kind of desperate for cash I’ve read.

That’s good news

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course this is just my speculation, but I have the feeling that it's Insigne who wants to finish the season with Napoli, not necessarily just the club wanting him to stay.

They're 3rd in the table right now, and I can see him wanting to make sure they make CL before leaving. Also I'm sure he doesn't want to travel so much for Italy's WCQ games.

So I really don't think he'll arrive until June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Criscito reportedly offered 3m a year?! Get these guys some water they’re drunk
    Stat, pump the patient's stomach, then start an IV. Page a psychologist once he wakes up.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-01-2022 at 10:08 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking we will hear actual movement on any front only on Wednesday. TFC is in no hurry to leak out news that sells tickets during a holiday weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who would have thought TFC would be getting a slice of this pie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully they’ve already briefed Insigne on the fact that he will be coming off the bench behind the almighty Shaff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, it’s just a European thing. I remember my dad once questioning why Canada shows salaries in gross. I shrugged him off initially but now when I think about it, it is pretty stupid. For those fortunate enough to be making 100k a year which is something many strive for, the reality is that they’re only getting $72,916 net. What’s even more odd is that when we look at purchases we do the opposite and look at their net value as opposed to the gross. For instance we advertise houses at say $500k, but that doesn’t factor in the legal, transfer and tax costs associated. So in essence we overestimate our income and underestimate our purchases.

Someone please pull me out of this wormhole.
    I really hope this conversation doesn't restart, because it isn't that simple. It's just not worth getting into. A bit harder to do on a $100k gross salary, but on a $200k or higher gross salary there's a bunch of things people and their accountants do so that they're paying far less than %30 average tax on their income in Canada. Also I can say for Germany, people personally talk about net ("Netto") about their own salary, but not so much about a job that's just posted: then you often talk about gross ("Brutto"). Reason: it's up to personal circumstances. In addition to income taxes and deductions, that's due to health insurance for example, which is paid by both employee and employer in Germany, and is also deducted from the gross salary to arrive at net. Although health insurance is generally a % of income in Germany, in most cases you have a huge variety of choices which massively affect how much you'll be paying. (Various public & non-profit/group health insurances; plus private insurance options that range from very expensive gold-plated to dirt-cheap with high yearly deductible.) There simply isn't a set "net" salary for a given job.

Italy seems to be a special case, where it's advantageous for employers to directly pay the income tax on behalf of their employees, so that there can be a reasonable idea of a set "net" salary. But that's all I know about the Italian tax system. (Do they not have other up-front salary deductions that affect net salary; or deductible expenses that impact the effective tax rate paid?)

Too confusing and not worth it for a footy forum! And this won't be the first or last time that this forum and many other places get confused about how much salary is actually paid to a player for a year.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 01-02-2022 at 12:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit. Apology to all, referenced WF = Will Forbes just identified as a fraudulent source. Thank you Areathrasher!

If Belotti is a serious target as WF tweets and according to an online interview SG hopes to play along side, then Poz surely must be coming back and DC is getting paid with some of that, is it Garber?/MLS funny money. Are we borrowing another page out of the LAG playbook?

Also, am I wrong, but in the last few years haven't CM, SO'N and DC all been favoured, preferred and most comfortable on the left of a back three?
    In seeing out my News Years Day celebration, in the spirit of these developments, back to getting some Italian on, Lentils and Cotechino leftovers.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-04-2022 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

January Open - Here's What's Coming Up for Those Trying to Keep Up

Insigne Signs?
    Bill Manning reportedly flies to Italy this week (supposedly Wednesday) regardless of the figures it appears most is settled, the question after that is: will he come now or in June?

Akinola and Perruzza Re-Sign?
    Akinola deal close amid Whitecaps interest and Perruzza expected to put pen to paper on a long-term deal.

Marshall-Rutty Speculation for Summer 2022
    JMR has had trials at Arsenal and Liverpool already, and Liverpool starlet Harvey Elliott seems to be trying to get JMR to "sign" something per the comments on his last Instagram post. JMR cannot move until he turns 18 this June, however a deal can be agreed in advance similar to Alphonso Davies' transfer.

Soteldo (back) to Brazil?
    TFC is actively shopping Soteldo around and there is interest in Brazil, but the club is only interested in selling (no loans) and has attached a 7 million dollar price tag to the winger who has attracted interest from Sao Paulo and Palmeiras. Notably, a deal with Sao Paulo has been linked to a swap for U-22 midfielder, Nestor, who appears well seasoned despite his years. Soteldo occupies one of three DP spots, of which a player such as Insigne or Belotti would require.

Jozy Altidore Buy-Out Impasse
    Since the report in Fall 2021 that Jozy was to be a free agent there has been little movement until this week when it was discovered that the impasse between the club and Jozy was compensating his option year (2023). The player appears to have all the leverage here as he occupies one of three DP spots, of which a player such as Insigne or Belotti would require.

Andrea Belotti Pursuit
    All reports on this appear premature, although some seem more bullish than others on this potential deal. Like Insigne, Belotti's contract runs out this Summer and would be available on a free. Expect clarity on this to pick-up in the coming weeks as front office priority moves off closing Insigne and onto the rest of the squad, especially if Manning journeys to Rome on Wednesday as reported.

Criscito
    It has been reported months ago that Criscito (Genoa) has been a target of the club and numbers have recently come out ranging from 1.4m USD to 3m EUR. Details on this remain murky, but as with Belotti clarity should be expected as Insigne reaches conclusion and if/when Manning goes to Italy. The club however, clearly needs a centre-back so push will have to come to shove on Criscito or another this month.

Another Striker
    It has also been reported recently that an "Italian striker" (besides Belotti) is in the club's sights, which previous reports would suggest is Mattia Destro (Genoa). There has also been a report of interest in Spanish striker, Jesus Jimenez, currently of Gornik Zabreze (Poland). These reports as well as those of Belotti suggest that a striker is also on his way in this month.
    Last edited by portu; 01-02-2022 at 12:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT...

OP by Auzzy...
    Italy seems to be a special case, where it's advantageous for employers to directly pay the income tax on behalf of their employees, so that there can be a reasonable idea of a set "net" salary. But that's all I know about the Italian tax system. (Do they not have other up-front salary deductions that affect net salary; or deductible expenses that impact the effective tax rate paid?)

...Likely Italian 'Lavoro Nero' counter measure; EU entry origins. Incentivize less out source-contract work-self employment-individual income reporting v more organizational/business reporting. Business does the admin hard work, gets a break, gov't knows what individual earns. NA conspiracy nutters call it the Debit Card.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-02-2022 at 12:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

January Open - Here's What's Coming Up for Those Trying to Keep Up

Insigne Signs?
    Bill Manning reportedly flies to Italy this week (supposedly Wednesday) regardless of the figures it appears most is settled, the question after that is: will he come now or in June?

Akinola and Perruzza Re-Sign?
    Akinola deal close amid Whitecaps interest and Perruzza expected to put pen to paper on a long-term deal.

Marshall-Rutty Speculation for Summer 2022
    JMR has had trials at Arsenal and Liverpool already, and Liverpool starlet Harvey Elliott seems to be trying to get JMR to "sign" something per the comments on his last Instagram post. JMR cannot move until he turns 18 this June, however a deal can be agreed in advance similar to Alphonso Davies' transfer.

Soteldo (back) to Brazil?
    TFC is actively shopping Soteldo around and there is interest in Brazil, but the club is only interested in selling (no loans) and has attached a 7 million dollar price tag to the winger who has attracted interest from Sao Paulo and Palmeiras. Notably, a deal with Sao Paulo has been linked to a swap for U-22 midfielder, Nestor, who appears well seasoned despite his years. Soteldo occupies one of three DP spots, of which a player such as Insigne or Belotti would require.

Jozy Altidore Buy-Out Impasse - Since the report in Fall 2021 that Jozy was to be a free agent there has been little movement until this week when it was discovered that the impasse between the club and Jozy was compensating his option year (2023). The player appears to have all the leverage here as he occupies one of three DP spots, of which a player such as Insigne or Belotti would require.

Andrea Belotti Pursuit
    All reports on this appear premature, although some seem more bullish than others on this potential deal. Like Insigne, Belotti's contract runs out this Summer and would be available on a free. Expect clarity on this to pick-up in the coming weeks as front office priority moves off closing Insigne and onto the rest of the squad, especially if Manning journeys to Rome on Wednesday as reported.

Criscito
    It has been reported months ago that Criscito (Genoa) has been a target of the club and numbers have recently come out ranging from 1.4m USD to 3m EUR. Details on this remain murky, but as with Belotti clarity should be expected as Insigne reaches conclusion and if/when Manning goes to Italy. The club however, clearly needs a centre-back so push will have to come to shove on Criscito or another this month.

Another Striker
    It has also been reported recently that an "Italian striker" is in the club's sights, which previous reports would suggest is Mattia Destro (Genoa). There has also been a report of interest in Spanish striker, Jesus Jimenez, currently of Gornik Zabreze (Poland). These reports as well as those of Belotti suggest that a striker is also on his way in this month.

Milan Borjan to Toronto?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Milan Borjan to Toronto?
    Excluded because no direct link to the club and it doesn't appear that Red Star is going to let him jump ship before his contract is up. But definitely something to keep eye on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excluded because no direct link to the club and it doesn't appear that Red Star is going to let him jump ship before his contract is up. But definitely something to keep eye on.
    BTW... missed stating it... great synopsis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks to be at about 98.87% done.