Page 27 of 79 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Benezet was an average player. Not sure why we are getting all worked up about this.
    Exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Benezet had the potential to be a damn good MLS player. He wasn't given the chance for reasons we now know. But attitude problems have evidently plagued him throughout his career, which is probably why he found himself in MLS (and Ligue 2).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was the worst player on the field in the biggest game of the season.

He was okay in a pinch but we can do a lot better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoever thinks this has anything to do with the quality of the player is missing the point. I don't care if he's a fringe squad member you don't promise someone you're gonna pick up their option. And if you do, you certainly don't break that promise. I would never want to do business with someone who would pull the rug out from under me like that.

Note: And for the record, I think we could have done better than Benezet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Whoever thinks this has anything to do with the quality of the player is missing the point. I don't care if he's a fringe squad member you don't promise someone you're gonna pick up their option. And if you do, you certainly don't break that promise. I would never want to do business with someone who would pull the rug out from under me like that.

Note: And for the record, I think we could have done better than Benezet.

but i'm understanding from earlier posts that TFC didn't promise - it was his agent, not TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    but i'm understanding from earlier posts that TFC didn't promise - it was his agent, not TFC
    We've done a lot of business with Meary.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most players want to play every game. What kind of agent does up a deal that incentivizes a team not to play him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we dont know all the facts...all i know is MB is a tam player and we will get another dp coming. and someone had to go,,thats sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Benezet was an average player. Not sure why we are getting all worked up about this.
    Bang on.....Nothing special if you ask me. A dime a dozen type of player. Plenty available in the world. Have to trust the front office here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    I read in the past it was for 500k euros transfer option. Definitely don't believe that 5 million number.
    I give our FO the benefit of the doubt for sure. But there is definitely some lack of communication or transparency that caused this.
    This is true French article claimed 500k Euros so that would still have put Benezet as a DP for the next season. Why is TFC FO evil for not extending a DP deal to a DP deal? Likely they saw whathe had to offer and they didnt want to trigger the DP spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Most players want to play every game. What kind of agent does up a deal that incentivizes a team not to play him?
    An agent who represents both parties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So no Agudelo , so this club needs to find another striker to replace Altidore when he eventually gets injured again and misses half the season . I thought a guy like Agudelo would have been a decent pick up .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is the TAM amount needed just the difference of the max cap salary and the ways you are giving or everything over the $150K?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Benezet's agent had his say. Anybody still think Curtis lied through this and our name is mud in Europe and the greater football world.

https://twitter.com/FootballSaves/st...760592384?s=09

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    So Benezet's agent had his say. Anybody still think Curtis lied through this and our name is mud in Europe and the greater football world.

https://twitter.com/FootballSaves/st...760592384?s=09
    These are The Days of the Week ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Odd way to conduct yourself as an agent. If I aired my clients’ dirty laundry I’d have no customers. People in the know can usually read between the lines in these situations.

Maybe he felt this was damaging enough where he had to speak publicly? TFC somehow looks the most innocent here by saying nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Odd way to conduct yourself as an agent. If I aired my clients’ dirty laundry I’d have no customers. People in the know can usually read between the lines in these situations.

Maybe he felt this was damaging enough where he had to speak publicly? TFC somehow looks the most innocent here by saying nothing.
    Meary will earn more in the long term from keeping his MLS pipeline open than by sticking up for Benezet...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Agent got frustrated by Benezet's antics and not for the first time. Sounds like the agent and TFC were still trying to work on something, probably waiting for CBA to be finalized but Benezet shot his mouth off and possibly damaged negotiations through social media childishness. I guess the agent figured the best way to mend the bridges was to silence the internet negativity towards TFC by tossing his guy under the bus.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agent got frustrated by Benezet's antics and not for the first time. Sounds like the agent and TFC were still trying to work on something, probably waiting for CBA to be finalized but Benezet shot his mouth off and possibly damaged negotiations through social media childishness. I guess the agent figured the best way to mend the bridges was to silence the internet negativity towards TFC by tossing his guy under the bus.

Do we know who else is in Meary's roster?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn’t a social media fail, Benezet talked to reporters and turned this into a multi day story in L'Équipe... Benezet fired Meary in public, for max effect.

We will never know, but fwiw, I think the better path is to believe Benezet and not his agent. I think Benezet is royally pissed off, rather than childish.

Also, I wouldn’t and didn’t assume this was on Manning and Curtis, but I wouldn’t necessarily say that they are 100% blame free here. This structure was not a great idea, and is rife with potential for trouble. I believe they may well have been a bit cute. Yeah it's how world football works, blah blah blah, but not great for the brand.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-30-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It wasn’t a social media fail, Benezet talked to reporters and turned this into a multi day story in L'Équipe... Benezet fired Meary in public, for max effect.

We will never know, but fwiw, I think the better path is to believe Benezet and not his agent. I think Benezet is royally pissed off, rather than childish.
    ya, not childish at all - https://twitter.com/NicolasBenezet/s...91327649288193

Before I come playing for TFC , you were 8th . And you know the finality . Have good night
    Lots of blame to go around on this one - Benezet is not innocent by any means here and TFC won't leave this with as tarnished a reputation as people keep saying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    LOL. That is actually pretty funny from Benezet. He has got a bit of KD in him! (For this who don’t follow NBA, Kevin Durant regularly mixes it up in a similar way with random twitter critics)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    LOL. That is actually pretty funny from Benezet. He has got a bit of KD in him! (For this who don’t follow NBA, Kevin Durant regularly mixes it up in a similar way with random twitter critics)
    KD has the resume to do that. Benezet - not so much.
    End of the day - He's a good player who could've given us a decent return - but he wasn't some diamond in the rough. He's replaceable - even his (former) agent thinks so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Meary will earn more in the long term from keeping his MLS pipeline open than by sticking up for Benezet...
    Fair but it only works if you have actual clients who trust you...

Certainly being publicly fired probably warrants a comment but responding in the manner he did won’t go a long way to earn trust with players.

Yep, clients can be frustrating, won’t deny that. However, remember at the end of the day he can exist without TFC and MLS but he can’t exist without players who will take him as an agent.

If I was going to use this guy as a player I’d want to know if we got into a dispute he’s not going to take to social media and air my dirty laundry.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 12-30-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a break from NicoGate....

Following up on the Pellistri rumor. The guy with the original tweet about TFCs interest had a column about the kid. He dropped a little more detail. There are lots of teams interested in him but TFC have shown the most interest. Penarol and MLS HQ have a good relationship given prior business. Almost makes it sounds like TFC could be serious here...

Peñarol wants to retain Facundo Pellistri, the offensive revelation of 2019. The Mirasol leadership intends that the youth stay in Uruguay for at least half of next season, but economic reality makes their transfer be evaluated.The Argentine media speculated with the possibility that Boca Juniors acquires the end signed in the entity of the eleven stars, however, there was no official communication from the xeneize club. Atlético de Madrid showed interest in the player, but there was still no formal offer.If there are realities on the part of Almeria, club to which Peñarol transferred to Darwin Núñez. The Spaniards are willing to take over Pellistri services due to their potential in the future.In MLS (Major League Soccer), Toronto is the team that showed real interest in hiring the youth player Mirasol. The American league achieved good signings with elements that emerged in the coal hotbed, such as the cases of Diego Rossi and Brian Rodríguez.The Peñarol leadership handles a difficult economic situation, which depends on the transfers. But if possible, they want to retain Pellistri, at least until mid-2020, knowing that foreign offers are always tempting.
    http://www.padreydecano.com/cms/noti...r-a-pellistri/

Digging a little deeper. Manning said on Dec 12th that Vanney and Curtis were in Uruguay scouting. Penarol played on the 12th & 15th of Dec. Pellistri logged 113 mins across those two games.

Last edited by Areathrasher; 12-30-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following up on the Pellistri rumor. The guy with the original tweet about TFCs interest had a column about the kid. He dropped a little more detail. There are lots of teams interested in him but TFC have shown the most interest. Penarol and MLS HQ have a good relationship given prior business. Almost makes it sounds like TFC could be serious here...

Digging a little deeper. Manning said on Dec 12th that Vanney and Curtis were in Uruguay scouting. Penarol played on the 12th & 15th of Dec. Pellistri logged 113 mins across those two games.

It would be nice if MLS allowed for a young DP spot that would not effect signing a prime DP.

We could still sign another DP at forward, sign Pellistri and keep him with Penarol for another half season.

or a Pozuelo, Altidore, Willian, Pellistri front 4 woud be wonderful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really excellent digging. Thank you. Has the ring of truth that they are nosing around this player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Really excellent digging. Thank you. Has the ring of truth that they are nosing around this player.
    He looks closer to a Barco tier prospect or Brian Rodriguez more so then a Gallardo level.

Rodriguez has showed more (he's a bit older and more national team caps) but Pellistri looks close to that level. I'm just throwing out a guess but a 6-7 million dollar fee might be the range for this type of player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    He looks closer to a Barco tier prospect or Brian Rodriguez more so then a Gallardo level.

Rodriguez has showed more (he's a bit older and more national team caps) but Pellistri looks close to that level. I'm just throwing out a guess but a 6-7 million dollar fee might be the range for this type of player
    Boca are linked too, their media has said Boca were quoted $4.5M USD. But wouldnt surprise me if the price for an MLS side was higher.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 12-30-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've been down a similar road before and eventually lost out to Boca with Alexis Mac Allister