Page 16 of 174 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    Hey not going to blame MB for that. Take what you can get, anytime you can get it.

But what a crazy * thing to do from the club's perspective for in particular a non technical player (the kind that put bums in the seats like Gio, Berna and Insigne). All riding on one game.

I get team bonuses for winning titles, but massive individual contracts (that is $8.9M CDN equivalent at today's fx rate), have never heard of that. At least not in the clubs I also support, Real and Dinamo Zagreb.

*IMHO disclaimer
    At Dinamo Zagreb any team or individual bonuses somehow ended up in Zdravko Mamic's bank account.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Talk is just talk until it happens. Big issue with making Richie permanent is MLS and transfer fees. Richie is on $1.2 million. Say we have to pay a $1 million fee (what we got for him), does that turn him into an MLS DP for a year? Did we ever figure out how transfer fees work in regards to the cap? That might actually be the sticking point in a potential return.
    I’m just going to throw this out there. If we get the Laryea we saw in the last part of the season does anyone think that’s worth it?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’m just going to throw this out there. If we get the Laryea we saw in the last part of the season does anyone think that’s worth it?
    i think what happens with a lot of midseason acquisitions is they just get gassed (happened to most of ours).

take cucho hernandez at columbus. he scored 8 goals in his 8 first MLS games.

the final 8? 1 goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i think what happens with a lot of midseason acquisitions is they just get gassed (happened to most of ours).

take cucho hernandez at columbus. he scored 8 goals in his 8 first MLS games.

the final 8? 1 goal.
    Laryea wasn't playing at all at Forest, and until he got to TFC he was just basically training for 9 months. The dip in form just before a world cup up is concerning.

Jimenez was starting games for about 15 months straight so the two situations cannot be compared.

In all honesty though TFC should be looking at getting several prospects at fullback, we are wasting development time(6 months) by starting Laryea next year. If he plays well he is gone to another EU club, if he sucks we don't buy him, and if Forrest get relegated he stays with them.

Laryea served a purpose when we attempted to throw everything at the wall to make playoffs, that idea flopped. Time to move on.
    Last edited by Richard; 10-18-2022 at 10:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Nottingham Forest goes down, which I think they will, Layrea could quite likely be a player they keep. They made the big mistake of upsetting their team that was promoted by bringing in a lot of players on higher salaries and transfer fees. They'll have to dump quite a few of those afterward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Oso, what happens with Laryea and TFC is likely a function of what happens in Qatar.

The FO just committed USD$20M+ a year to the Italian project, which was a marketing spend. They will use a DP spot, overpay etc, again, in the service of marketing. That is how we do things.

They will not be letting someone with any kind of WC glow walk away, they will overpay.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-19-2022 at 08:29 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Like Oso, what happens with Laryea and TFC is likely a function of what happens in Qatar.

The FO just committed USD$20M+ a year to the Italian project, which was a marketing spend. They will use a DP spot, overpay etc, again, in the service of marketing. That is how we do things.

They will not be letting someone with any kind of WC glow walk away, they will overpay.
    A Canadian player putting all their chips in on the the Qatar World Cup is a bet they should not take, is anyone gonna be surprised if this Canada team loses all three games and a couple of them bad.if I was Oso’s agent I would suggest he signs signs with someone before the world cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the salary front, Criscito is the 3rd highest paid defender in MLS and Laryea is the 6th highest paid defender (although MLSPA lists him as a midfielder). They were the 1st and 2nd highest paid fullbacks. We spent big on defenders without really seeing results, particularly in areas where other teams are able to get value from lower salary players. For example, Philly's full backs make ~$300k and ~$500k. If we're going to spend big on fullbacks we need to make sure they're having a lot of opportunities to influence the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    A Canadian player putting all their chips in on the the Qatar World Cup is a bet they should not take, is anyone gonna be surprised if this Canada team loses all three games and a couple of them bad.if I was Oso’s agent I would suggest he signs signs with someone before the world cup
    1-1-1
    Herdman is pretty good .
    Canadian has speed don't think Belgium can keep up or croatia regarding how fast Canada players are.

Have faith aren't they ranked 16th +Davies anything can happen

Defense is another topic lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    On the salary front, Criscito is the 3rd highest paid defender in MLS and Laryea is the 6th highest paid defender (although MLSPA lists him as a midfielder). They were the 1st and 2nd highest paid fullbacks. We spent big on defenders without really seeing results, particularly in areas where other teams are able to get value from lower salary players. For example, Philly's full backs make ~$300k and ~$500k. If we're going to spend big on fullbacks we need to make sure they're having a lot of opportunities to influence the game.
    This is my issue third highest for someone who is declining rapidly and has no speed to cover wings.

Is he technically gifted absolutely but yea

It's mad asset management again- sunk cost and most likely won't recoup .

Same with laryea why did TFC let him go to only have more sunk cost into a player they had already.

Same with Kaye the 1million or 1st was an over pay.

These things make me not believe in management and their vision- if they had one they would haven't had so many head scratching moves and money lost along with the moves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m keeping my expectations low. If the guys come in motivated and organized and the other teams take us lightly, we could steal some points.

But if everything goes how it looks on paper I think we maybe tie Morocco and leave there knowing we still need to build our program. Anyone who gets pissy under that scenario can roundly take a hike.

We haven’t been to a WC in several generations and things are going to have to be learned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I think we saw the limitiations of our 2 FBs. Both can get ahead great but neither is a good defender at this point. Laryea was always a liability when it came to defensive shape but his offesnsive runs made up for it. That's why he works really well for Canada with 3 CBs. Criscito is almost 36 and he likes to push forward too. He just doesn't have the legs to get back in position. Philly did well because they got responsible defensive FBs and any offense they added was a bonus, like Beita back in the day.

There is also the poor GK factor and the ripples of chaos that come from that spot and wreak havoc on our sketchy CB core.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think we saw the limitiations of our 2 FBs. Both can get ahead great but neither is a good defender at this point. Laryea was always a liability when it came to defensive shape but his offesnsive runs made up for it. That's why he works really well for Canada with 3 CBs. Criscito is almost 36 and he likes to push forward too. He just doesn't have the legs to get back in position. Philly did well because they got responsible defensive FBs and any offense they added was a bonus, like Beita back in the day.

There is also the poor GK factor and the ripples of chaos that come from that spot and wreak havoc on our sketchy CB core.
    other than that we are in great shape

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    1-1-1
    Herdman is pretty good .
    Canadian has speed don't think Belgium can keep up or croatia regarding how fast Canada players are.

Have faith aren't they ranked 16th +Davies anything can happen

Defense is another topic lol
    Canada has speed in spots but so do Belgium and Croatia...not to mention, both midfields with guys like De Bruyne, Witsel, the world's best Luka Modric, Kovacic and Brozovic will make it very difficult for Canada to get possession. Davies will be flying though and will cause damage for sure.

Layreya in particular will have to match up with Perisic who can take anyone on.....pace and power.

If I was Oso, I definitely wouldn't put my eggs in the WC, and get a contract now...but I get teams might be hesitant over the concusion situation.

I hope we resign him though.,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’m keeping my expectations low. If the guys come in motivated and organized and the other teams take us lightly, we could steal some points.

But if everything goes how it looks on paper I think we maybe tie Morocco and leave there knowing we still need to build our program. Anyone who gets pissy under that scenario can roundly take a hike.

We haven’t been to a WC in several generations and things are going to have to be learned.
    This WC will be a great learning experience for the young guys to build on 2026 which already is a gaurantee of being in. No shame in going down to Belgium and Croatia who are top level teams. But learn and grow and in 2026 playing at home, and look out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we saw the limitiations of our 2 FBs... There is also the poor GK factor and the ripples of chaos that come from that spot and wreak havoc on our sketchy CB core.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    At Dinamo Zagreb any team or individual bonuses somehow ended up in Zdravko Mamic's bank account.
    lol...true though that was in the past.

Mamic is a crook no doubt but dinamo does/did produce great players on a shoe string budget. I'd take Mamic any day over Manning. Mamic won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    This guy... what a story!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

The GK spot has to be fixed. Some of the goals like at Miami, home to NE, home to LA, home to Montreal were inexcusable and back breaking. We then played scared and what could have been a great run down the stretch turned out a disaster.

I'd also add, we better get a new GK coach. How Conway continues to remain employed year after year is just a head scratcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need to figure out if we are playing with fullbacks or wingbacks. I really don't think Laryea is a fullback, he really excels as a wingback. But our formation mostly uses fullbacks. We're always going to have defensive issues if we play a guy who goes forward a lot in a fullback role (as Trent has been finding out this year).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    other than that we are in great shape
    Well realistically we could end up with almost none of them come July, most probably gone in Spring; Bono, Westberg, Criscito, Laryea, & Mavinga probably all gone.

Personally I am okay with seeing them all go. I don't really like the idea of rebuilding the whole backline again but we never did it fully and everyone listed up there is culpable for the garbage defense we laid out there last season (and for all of them but Criscito the season prior too).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd also add, we better get a new GK coach. How Conway continues to remain employed year after year is just a head scratcher.
    Jon "The Eternal" Conway

He sure gets a lot of rope for a 'legacy' player who made one appearance for TFC back in the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol...true though that was in the past.

Mamic is a crook no doubt but dinamo does/did produce great players on a shoe string budget. I'd take Mamic any day over Manning. Mamic won.
    I realize you are likely just trying to make and juxtaposition a point, yet...
    There has to be a line.
    Even for you.
    For me... seems Mamic has crossed it long ago.
    A Manning always over a Mamic; there should be no hesitation.
    Mamic may have won but that was before most truly understood who he is and what he represents as a person.
    Aside from being convicted, Mamic is more than 'just a crook'...
    IMO, nefarious to the core and more of a by-product of that regions sometimes not pleasant murky world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed... I'd also add, we better get a new GK coach. How Conway continues to remain employed year after year is just a head scratcher.
    For me... Conway currently represents the reason for the angst and agita against and for conspiracy theories on this message board.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like criscito is back and training with the team again!

Very good news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$
    noxx98, and relevant others... thank you!
    Always welcome and appreciate your posts.
    Always helpful.
    Always adding much needed perspective.
    Particularly, when trying to bring the MLS Salary and Capology receipts for clarification and assessment within certain discussions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Looks like criscito is back and training with the team again!

Very good news.
    This. is. very. very. very. good. news!

I was quite worried of the implications of Mimmo 'pondering his return' as implied in one of the recent end of year pressers.
    I expected him to be here for the up coming season.
    Relieved his 'Plan B' assignment of assisting Lolo with the transition is still in effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WE HAVE A RUMOUR. I’m going to YouTube and transfermarkt to spend 5 minutes deciding why this is a terrific or awful move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's married to Bogers sports media personality Andi Petrillo. I believe it's either nepotism or to keep her happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    He's married to Bogers sports media personality Andi Petrillo. I believe it's either nepotism or to keep her happy.
    Conway is?!!