Page 15 of 174 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Yes but that was written into his deal when he came in 2014 do what can you do? Also like RCBT said, if it meant a championship to have him at one more year at $6.5M it would have been worth it and in hindsight would have saved us from the Soteldo --> Salcedo ---> No cap space disaster than Curtis brought on us.
    Hey not going to blame MB for that. Take what you can get, anytime you can get it.

But what a crazy * thing to do from the club's perspective for in particular a non technical player (the kind that put bums in the seats like Gio, Berna and Insigne). All riding on one game.

I get team bonuses for winning titles, but massive individual contracts (that is $8.9M CDN equivalent at today's fx rate), have never heard of that. At least not in the clubs I also support, Real and Dinamo Zagreb.

*IMHO disclaimer
    Last edited by Hala Hrvatska; 10-18-2022 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added disclaimer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    But what a crazy * thing to do from the club's perspective for in particular a non technical player (the kind that put bums in the seats like Gio, Berna and Insigne).
    He was a technical player when coming from Roma and he was a draw then. You're talking about a player from Serie A who was captain of a USMNT aquad that had just qualified for the WC before we signed him. I know you look at him with shit colored glasses but in 2014 he was a legit quality, star signing and during his prime stretch I saw as many #4 jerseys as #10s.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how did this get back to bradley talk?

we have a literal thread for that...

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...Bradley-thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was a technical player when coming from Roma and he was a draw then. You're talking about a player from Serie A who was captain of a USMNT aquad that had just qualified for the WC before we signed him. I know you look at him with shit colored glasses but in 2014 he was a legit quality, star signing and during his prime stretch I saw as many #4 jerseys as #10s.
    Well IMHO, he was never a technical player, at least not what I think is a technical player (ala Modric or Kova). For the Seria A time, for chievo played 35 games (1 goal), at Roma 41 games and had 2 goals and little to no assists either. Make no mistake though, was very happy when we got him. And I thought he was great for us and a big part of our success.

I don't say he wasn't great before, not sure where that comes from? He was a great captain also.

But to be fair also since we are looking back and you mentioned the USMT, the 2018 USMT disasterous failure to qualify for the WC was (in big part) due to him and Jozy not getting it done. And if you recall from post 2017 anytime we played outside of Toronto, they were mercilessly boo'ed everywhere we went due to that 2018 DNQ.
    Last edited by Hala Hrvatska; 10-18-2022 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    how did this get back to bradley talk?

we have a literal thread for that...

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...Bradley-thread

Talking contracts and in relation to Oso who I hope we can resign.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking contracts and in relation to Oso who I hope we can resign.
    i can see that, but it's devolved into something clearly that belongs in the michael bradley thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill said he wants everyone in by the second camp of pre-season. Let’s see if he can do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Bill said he wants everyone in by the second camp of pre-season. Let’s see if he can do it.
    When does preseason camp start?

I hope can get it done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s see who “everyone” includes. Cause if it’s just everyone who is on the roster right now, it won’t be enough to even make the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Let’s see who “everyone” includes. Cause if it’s just everyone who is on the roster right now, it won’t be enough to even make the playoffs.
    We heard so much lets give BB "three windows" and this is the third one. If we don't come out of the gate and win with the roster set, surely then no more "windows" allowed and time's up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, does everyone include a third DP? Any free agents they are interested in? A professional level keeper? Any coaching additions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When does preseason camp start?

I hope can get it done.
    Usually second camp is like first or second week of Feb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Yeah, does everyone include a third DP? Any free agents they are interested in? A professional level keeper? Any coaching additions?
    It definitely should

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could accept a 3rd DP in the summer if it's a CF as it's easier but we can't start 2023 with Jiminez & Akinola. There needs to be an option up front that can deliver some goals.

I think the big free agents we're looking are the 3 main FA GKs and some of the FA CBs. Of that I would say Johnson & Hamid would be BB's GK targets. Not sure with the CBs but we should at least look at Callens. I didn't see all of the lists of out of contract players so maybe there's something to be had in the re-entry draft too.

And there better be a new GK coach.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 10-18-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could accept a 3rd DP in the summer if it's a CF as it's easier but we can't start 2023 with Jiminez & Akinola. There needs to be an option up front that can deliver some goals.

I think the big free agents we're looking at the the 3 main FA GKs and some of the FA CBs. Of that I would say Johnson & Hamid would be BB's targets. Not sure with the CBs but we should at least look at Callens. I didn't see all of the lists of out of contract players so maybe there's something to be had in the re-entry draft too.
    Same here.

I also wonder of the value of a DP striker when the numbers Insigne/Berna put up are so high. Do we really need more goals out of that frontline?

This pretty much always draw me back into the young money option over a 3rd DP, especially if Oso stays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here.

I also wonder of the value of a DP striker when the numbers Insigne/Berna put up are so high. Do we really need more goals out of that frontline?

This pretty much always draw me back into the young money option over a 3rd DP, especially if Oso stays.
    We need a target man up front to win balls, and be strong in the air...someone/anyone to take the double teams off Insigne and Berna. Am sure we can go to Eastern Europe or South America and get a quality non DP that can get the job done.

Dinamo Zagreb's (and Croatian NT) Petkovic would be great. Strong, technical, he'd combine well with the Italians. And can hold up the ball, create space and even create for himself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I question needing a DP striker as well but I think they'll go flash over a solid piece every time.

I would do the young money thing too. Start replacing midfield spots with legit youth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a target man up front to win balls, and be strong in the air...someone/anyone to take the double teams off Insigne and Berna.
    There is really no reason Jiminez can't do this. I know he doesn't but I just don't understand why he doesn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is really no reason Jiminez can't do this. I know he doesn't but I just don't understand why he doesn't.
    Because he has zero experience or training as that kind of striker.

Seriously, he played wide left (Insigne's position) in Poland and before that was a traditional winger. He only converted to striker two seasons ago, and they played him as an inside forward.

So his game was pretty much entirely drifting in from the left and then beating the offside trap.It's how he scored most of the goals in his highlight reel. It's also why his early goals for us were in transition, and then when Oso was able to draw defenders away to create space for him. He's not accustomed to mostly moving laterally and having to create his own space by pulling defenders around, then breaking to a post.

But he looks okay in the air and has come close to headed goals a few times. He's probably teachable. The issue is whether you want to convert an attacking forward, most accustomed to coming from deep, into a traditional number nine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here.

Didn't Manning hint that the next DP wouldn't be in the same price range as the Italians in the presser? I didn't see it so could be wrong, think someone said it here. If so, yeah, a young DP may make sense

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Didn't Manning hint that the next DP wouldn't be in the same price range as the Italians in the presser?
    This expense will probably be driven by renewals / new SSH seats sold. If it drags then they'll probably splash bigger while targeting a different demographic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My issue with JJ is that he’s previously a sometimes winger who plays smaller than his frame when parked in the middle. He counts entirely on getting in behind or popping up in small pockets and provides no aerial presence and no hold up play.

Teams look at us and just think we can’t capitalize if they park the bus because we have no presence in the box. And when we are trying to reestablish possession we struggle because he cannot hold off the CB.

I would like an actual target man or at the very least someone who can hold the ball up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wishlist:

in order of most important to me in my opinion.

CB X 2 - 1 starting and one solid depth. Starting I prefer in the age range of 25-28 but am okay with 29-30 max (we saw what happened with OG).

Midfield- X 3 - I would prefer two starting Mid- one who can provide for LI and Berna. One solid Depth- I would prefer again 26-30 in age. Depth could be 31-34

GK. Starting quality who is solid in the mind and wont let a bad goal impact the game or defense- oh one who can make a simple pass as well age- under 34

I agree with that TFC needs a hold-up man and have missed one since Jozy and Akinola isnt that.

I do like Jimenez and think depending on his salary to be kept on and could build chemistry with LI and Berna.

Depth Striker- not like mullins or dwyer please

DP - I dont care where as long as its impactful and doesnt cost me another 25% increase .

I would prefer CB DP but Im not sure based on recent experience on that went.

If TFC keeps Richie and Auro- I think the LB/RB are solid

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    If TFC keeps Richie and Auro- I think the LB/RB are solid
    Richie only on loan for half the season next year though. Was just a band aid solution intended for the playoff push this year that failed. They should plan his replacement knowing that he is leaving again. Auro you would think would have been back already if both sides were in agreement on him playing for TFC again. So I only see Richie returning out of those two and only for half a season. I could be wrong though. Who knows what is going on in the background that we don't know about.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Richie only on loan for half the season next year though. Was just a band aid solution intended for the playoff push this year that failed. They should plan his replacement knowing that he is leaving again. Auro you would think would have been back already if both sides were in agreement on him playing for TFC again. So I only see Richie returning out of those two and only for half a season. I could be wrong though. Who knows what is going on in the background that we don't know about.
    They are in talks to make the richie move permanent.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always been a fan of Bill Hamid and would love to see the Reds get him, but I am not blind to the fact this is 2022 and not a few years ago when he would have been considered one of the league's best. He still is only 31 which is young for a GK so he can certainly rebound. What does everyone think, are they looking at getting a clear cut #1 either within MLS circles or the international market or bringing in two to battle it out. That will certainly alter who they may be looking at?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I have always been a fan of Bill Hamid and would love to see the Reds get him, but I am not blind to the fact this is 2022 and not a few years ago when he would have been considered one of the league's best. He still is only 31 which is young for a GK so he can certainly rebound. What does everyone think, are they looking at getting a clear cut #1 either within MLS circles or the international market or bringing in two to battle it out. That will certainly alter who they may be looking at?
    DC is not fond of him anymore. Inconsistency in the last two seasons. But with a better team in front of him, he was always twice the goalie of anyone we've had since Frei.

I noticed two of the four Japanese national team keepers, both in the J-League, have contracts expiring early next year, both with stellar records in the last two seasons. There are a lot of options out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk is just talk until it happens. Big issue with making Richie permanent is MLS and transfer fees. Richie is on $1.2 million. Say we have to pay a $1 million fee (what we got for him), does that turn him into an MLS DP for a year? Did we ever figure out how transfer fees work in regards to the cap? That might actually be the sticking point in a potential return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Talk is just talk until it happens. Big issue with making Richie permanent is MLS and transfer fees. Richie is on $1.2 million. Say we have to pay a $1 million fee (what we got for him), does that turn him into an MLS DP for a year? Did we ever figure out how transfer fees work in regards to the cap? That might actually be the sticking point in a potential return.

When NF goes down, they will be looking to sell everyone they can that’s not a long term answer. They’ll be begging TFC to keep him as he won’t be in the plans to get back to PL
    Last edited by Webdogg; 10-18-2022 at 07:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    The transfer fee is amortized over the life of the contract and added to the salary. So if Richie is on $1M/year over 4 years and the transfer fee is $1M then his cap hit would be $1.25M/year