Page 93 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 5193
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hot take on Mavinga, he wanted to stay and was willing to wait until the last minute. That we let him go makes me feel we have a deal done for another CB. Any guesses?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Virtually every professional commenter on MLS noted our transition defense was so bad because we had a ton of inexperienced players that turned the ball over in bad moments...consistently.

I remember the lack of speed being mentioned...a lot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe 4 coaches and various coaching staffs are right and some forum posters are wrong I'm not sure.

If we're doing appeal to authority...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess trying to change the subject just isn’t going to work.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That only becomes an issue if you constantly cough up the ball in bad spots.

There's a reason we tightened up a ton defensively (xg allowed) after the italians arrived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yep, no way around that.

The number of time we had a CB tracking to the sidelines to try to snuff out an attack on the counter was ridiculous. Everyone pointed the finger at the CB’s (who were not great and made their own mistakes to be fair) but those players should not be dragged into those situations so often.

Fullback play lacking at times but we also asked out FB’s to pinch often. So really it falls on the DM all day to snuff that out (which didn’t happen)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Virtually every professional commenter on MLS noted our transition defense was so bad because we had a ton of inexperienced players that turned the ball over in bad moments...consistently.

It's ok though, you're not seeing anything they're not.

Also have you ever admitted to being wrong about your ridiculous take on imsigne wages and net vs gross?

Talk about humility yet you insulted me consistently in that thread only to be completely, utterly flat out wrong
    And admitted it at the time. (Also, as Italy is literally the only other country that does that among the major leagues, it's not that ridiculous).

I've admitted I'm wrong plenty on this board over the last sixteen years. You just weren't here for most of it.

Also, changing the subject in middle of debating a point is called a 'straw man' argument.

In the meantime, Michael was beaten on the dribble 1.1 times per game last season, which was worse than Noble Okello (0.9), DeAndre Kerr (0.3), Osorio (0.4), and almost identical to Nelson (1.3) and MAK (1.4). Arguably, Nelson playing most of the season on the wing gives him something of an excuse.

Defense was known to be MAK's weakness before we got him. But Bradley is beaten at almost exactly the same rate, has the exact same tackles per game rate (1.9), the basically same block rate (Bradley 0.4, MAK 0.5).

Statiscally he was no better defensively than the younger players.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-06-2023 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I think this is why the Bradley comments get so many replies. It's not so much the content as the tone. There's a gap between "I hear you, but here's my take" and "I am the only one who knows this game, anyone who disagrees is objectively wrong or part of some conspiracy theory fringe"

Either way, Id bet the over on 32 starts for Bradley next season if fitness permits. I don't love it but it is what it is. If Bob fails this will be a sword he will have to fall on.

- I agree with the above- its the main issue why it seems like its 1 vs 10- no one is trying to gang up on differing view points.

- really sad MB starts 32 games- I feel like this is the main reason for the locker room issues last season- no one could speak up freely without it getting back to Bob- which in itself makes it difficult for a team to bond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    My hot take on Mavinga, he wanted to stay and was willing to wait until the last minute. That we let him go makes me feel we have a deal done for another CB. Any guesses?
    Completely random guess: Nikola Maksimovic. Former teammate of Insigne (and Criscito). Highly rated a few years ago. Still 31 but not sure where he is physically. Hasn't played this European season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That only becomes an issue if you constantly cough up the ball in bad spots.

There's a reason we tightened up a ton defensively (xg allowed) after the italians arrived.
    when did they tighten up defensively.they were giving up 4 goals a game for fun in sept and oct.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    And admitted it at the time. I've admitted I'm wrong plenty on this board over the last sixteen years. You just weren't here for most of it.

Also, changing the subject in middle of debating a point is called a 'straw man' argument.

In the meantime, Michael was beaten on the dribble 1.1 times per game last season, which was worse than Noble Okello (0.9), DeAndre Kerr (0.3), Osorio (0.4), and almost identical to Nelson (1.3) and MAK (1.4). Arguably, Nelson playing most of the season on the wing gives him something of an excuse.

Defense was known to be MAK's weakness before we got him. But Bradley is beaten at almost exactly the same rate, has the exact same tackles per game rate (1.9), the basically same block rate (Bradley 0.4, MAK 0.5).

Statiscally he was no better defensively than the younger players.
    percentile is what to look at.

bradley is in the 82nd percentile in MLS for dribblers tackled.

he is right in the middle of pack in terms of being dribbled past, he is 70th percentile in dribbles contested, 78th percentile for shots blocked, 74th percentile for clearances.

these are fairly standard and reasonable numbers in terms of an MLS holding midfielder.

his defensive numbers are nowhere near as bad as suggested, he compares fairly reasonably infact to illie sanchez who just won MLS cup with LAFC playing most games (granted while making a few hundred K less).

of course MB passing numbers far superior.

https://fbref.com/en/players/72979f6...couting-Report

https://fbref.com/en/players/fd5e3a7...couting-Report

and i'll try to stop myself from commenting anymore.

i agree we desperately need 2 CMs, one has to start 10+ games as a 6 in lieu of MB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Again, one of those mind boggling personnel decisions, like leaving Raheem unprotected. Back in Switzerland, still playing well.
    Player preference perhaps? Odd locker room personality? Otherwise I’m just as baffled, under-used and available resource, for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Completely random guess: Nikola Maksimovic. Former teammate of Insigne (and Criscito). Highly rated a few years ago. Still 31 but not sure where he is physically. Hasn't played this European season.
    Made of glass. He's missed an average of about 40 days per season for the last decade. Must be a hell of a player though with that pedigree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Player preference perhaps? Odd locker room personality? Otherwise I’m just as baffled, under-used and available resource, for sure.
    Felt the same way about Dan Lovitz; good utility winger, now an excellent fullback, never really given time but played well when he was out there. Maybe a personality fit, sure. I don't Vanney ever thought much of him, as he seemed a tidy player but didn't get much of a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree, we should bring in a max tam cdm for next year, and if MB is still here should be in the cheyrou role.

however with current team as it is, it makes sense for him to start (thought not every game).

we're gonna have better defenders now and a better goalkeeper so every minor mistake (getting beat 30 yards from goal) won't be exposed.
    Also, it seems a waste to not have some of that knowledge passed directly on to a younger player. MB was a starter at Roma and has tons of US caps often as captain. It’s odd to not have him in a mentoring role now at our club.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    when did they tighten up defensively.they were giving up 4 goals a game for fun in sept and oct.
    season was over they were on holiday.

when still competitive they were significantly better xG wise (how to measure defense).

in the 8 games before insigne and berna arrived:

average of 1.67 xg conceded per game.

in 8 games post arrival:

1.06 xG conceded per game.

it was a big difference. would have been less too if bono managed to catch some shots instead of giving up huge rebounds.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Firstly congrats on Croatias success at the World Cup it’s just amazing that a country of 5 million can produce such fantastic footballers. Correct about Bradley his stats don’t show him leaving his man unmarked, lost challenges in the box, getting burned for pace, not being able to hit the side of a mountain on a shooting effort , but as you say some guys will defend Michael to the death, I really sometimes wonder what some guys are watching .

didn't you want to sign giovinco?

a 36 year old striker with 1 goal in two years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

season was over they were on holiday.

when still competitive they were significantly better xG wise (how to measure defense).

in the 8 games before insigne and berna arrived:

average of 1.67 xg conceded per game.

in 8 games post arrival:

1.06 xG conceded per game.

it was a big difference. would have been less too if bono managed to catch some shots instead of giving up huge rebounds.
    stop putting lipstick on a pig...are you the other bradley the one in the pr dept...

i appreciate your support and optimism of this team.i jus dont agree with some of your takes,i hope you are right and we have a great season.im jus not sold on this FO yet
    Last edited by reggie; 01-06-2023 at 04:50 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stop putting lipstick on a pig...are you the other bradley the one in the pr dept...
    1.06 xga over a season would be excellent lol
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 01-06-2023 at 04:51 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Seba on this team right now offers more then Bradley, fact is that Bob and Mike are embarrassing themselves with the constant playing of Michael
    Bradley has 3x as many goals last year as seba over last 2. Lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing I found interesting in the presser today, was Bob talking about how big of a role Jason Hernandez has taken on with the club. It seems he has taken on the capologist and contract negotiation side of things so Bob can focus on more management tasks. A couple of times Bob specifically mentioned Jason and the work he was doing. Just thought it was an interesting insight and something to hopefully silence those who think Bob was wearing too many hats. Seems he is not such a conceited gut who thinks he has to do everything by himself.

Bob and the staff identify the players, meet with them, and the final negotiations with the agents seem to be going through Hernandez.

Just thought it was an interesting nugget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    The thing I found interesting in the presser today, was Bob talking about how big of a role Jason Hernandez has taken on with the club. It seems he has taken on the capologist and contract negotiation side of things so Bob can focus on more management tasks. A couple of times Bob specifically mentioned Jason and the work he was doing. Just thought it was an interesting insight and something to hopefully silence those who think Bob was wearing too many hats. Seems he is not such a conceited gut who thinks he has to do everything by himself.

Bob and the staff identify the players, meet with them, and the final negotiations with the agents seem to be going through Hernandez.

Just thought it was an interesting nugget.

Good to know. Veteran MLS guy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i appreciate your support and optimism of this team.i jus dont agree with some of your takes,i hope you are right and we have a great season.im jus not sold on this FO yet
    Hey if we don't fill out our roster in the next month with minimum 5 key players I'll be right there with you with the pitchforks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss when we were talking about Sean Johnson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to pile on about the holes, but this made me laugh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I don't want to pile on about the holes, but this made me laugh
    the holes dont bother me.but seeing wheeler back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to hear Sharman and Singh talk about a potential rift between Insigne and Bernardeschi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey if we don't fill out our roster in the next month with minimum 5 key players I'll be right there with you with the pitchforks
    Will meet you pregame at the season opener then with our pitchforks, but have some beers at least.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Interesting to hear Sharman and Singh talk about a potential rift between Insigne and Bernardeschi.
    Wait, what? Do elaborate.

Is this over taking penalties and free kicks? )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    Wait, what? Do elaborate.

Is this over taking penalties and free kicks? )
    They didn't go into too much detail, but the two of them allegedly had a falling out towards the end of last season. They may or may not have made up this offseason though according to them.