Page 27 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    Hoillet as TAM and Borré as DP would be nice.
    Agreed. Would probably give us the best attack in MLS. With or without Jozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Hoilett as a TAM player is fine. As a DP just shows a complete lack of ambition.
    so much for the we are a big club and we wanna win cups this season,its a lazy and cheap signing and its shows that curtis has no cache in the world of futbol,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't seen Hoilett play for a while, but I back us signing Canadians when possible so he'll have a lot of leeway with me in terms of success

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. Would probably give us the best attack in MLS. With or without Jozy.
    If we shed Jozy and replace him while signing Hoilett, Borré and a decent CB then this team is instant contender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like jr,,,he would help for sure,i would pay him oso money,but i think the last 2 dps are lazy signings,now if they have a budget jus say it,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s operate under the assumption he’s not a DP. If they wouldn’t bring Piatti back in that spot... why Hoilett? Very similar in terms of what they can offer.

It’s a good move IMO. Ticks all the boxes, assuming the money’s reasonable.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-13-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    If we shed Jozy and replace him while signing Hoilett, Borré and a decent CB then this team is instant contender.
    I think Jozy is here for another year of drama so I am really only counting on having that one DP spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Let’s operate under the assumption he’s not a DP. If they wouldn’t bring Piatti back in that spot... why Hoilett?
    I would assume if Hoilett is here as a TAM player and Piatti is not, Hoilett was willing to take less or the same money that they offered Piatti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Not really. People in places like Argentina kind of have a pretty good mental idea of what "America" is. Mostly from Hollywood and TV.

They don't really have any idea what Toronto, Canada or Cincinnati is. Except they know Canada has igloos somewhere.
    I know people from Argentina and they definitely are aware of global cities. Sure they know Hollywood, but Toronto is known. Toronto is also highly successful in the league lately which is a selling point over many teams with better climates.. not to mention the better money they have to be offering to consider MLS. I guarantee when Wolves comes calling with a big offer in England players aren't avoiding them cause they don't have a mental picture of downtown Wolverhampton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is very different today than it was when Toronto came in, with almost 30 teams and a heck more $$$ power. Cincy has not been the only one poaching in Argentina and elsewhere.

IF we get Hoilett & Borré, I would shed Jozy (trade him to wherever he wants to be part-owner), stick with Ayo and Achara, then deal Gonzales to LAG and bring in another (younger) centre back as a DP. I think I am ok with Morrow returning (with Auro/Laryea or someone else providing cover as needed).

How many teams in the world start re-shuffling with plan A and actually deliver on plan A? Certainly less than one dozen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    MLS is very different today than it was when Toronto came in, with almost 30 teams and a heck more $$$ power. Cincy has not been the only one poaching in Argentina and elsewhere.

IF we get Hoilett & Borré, I would shed Jozy (trade him to wherever he wants to be part-owner), stick with Ayo and Achara, then deal Gonzales to LAG and bring in another (younger) centre back as a DP. I think I am ok with Morrow returning (with Auro/Laryea or someone else providing cover as needed).

How many teams in the world start re-shuffling with plan A and actually deliver on plan A? Certainly less than one dozen.
    DP CB would be bold, but if you got that right guy at the right age who can play 30 games a season I'd think it's a no brainer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way I think you see a DP CB in the league is if Sergio Ramos decides he wants to come over to play in North America. Ramos would sell kits and tickets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, went and looked for the name of that CB we were linked to earlier this offseason, it was Loïck Landre of Nimes in Ligue 1 who has been left out of the squad for the past 3 games.
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 02-13-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DP CB would be bold, but if you got that right guy at the right age who can play 30 games a season I'd think it's a no brainer
    I think a u22 dp CB makes a lot of sense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    I know people from Argentina and they definitely are aware of global cities. Sure they know Hollywood, but Toronto is known. Toronto is also highly successful in the league lately which is a selling point over many teams with better climates.. not to mention the better money they have to be offering to consider MLS. I guarantee when Wolves comes calling with a big offer in England players aren't avoiding them cause they don't have a mental picture of downtown Wolverhampton.
    I am obviously making a more nuanced point. This is bizarre, I hate straw man arguments like this. I think anybody in the football world anywhere can pretty easily picture an away game at Old Trafford or Anfield. Any team in the big leagues in Europe is obviously totally different.

Anybody who thinks there isn't a difference in the perception of Canada and US, both in general and in world soccer, is entitled to their opinion. We disagree.

Anybody else wants to argue about this, they'll do it without me.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least we have some actual decent rumours to discuss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google translate is weird, but this Palmeiras twitter account with 11k followers seems to believe Costa and Palmeiras are still in negotiations. Probably good news in our pursuit of Borré.

https://twitter.com/Dinho_Sep7/statu...073044992?s=20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New U-22 rule means we should be able to re-sign Akinola on a very competitive deal and only see a 200k cap hit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am obviously making a more nuanced point. This is bizarre, I hate straw man arguments like this. I think anybody in the football world anywhere can pretty easily picture an away game at Old Trafford or Anfield. Any team in the big leagues in Europe is obviously totally different.

Anybody who thinks there isn't a difference in the perception of Canada and US, both in general and in world soccer, is entitled to their opinion. We disagree.

Anybody else wants to argue about this, they'll do it without me.
    your argument was that people from Argentina think we live in igloos. Cool. They also don't know the random city in China, but when they back up the brinks truck they figure it out. That was my point. Nobody in their short football career turns down the opportunity to make life-changing money. Luring someone to an "unknown" city like Toronto is as simple as submitting the largest offer, most of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RT @futebol_info: Principal alvo do Palmeiras para o ataque é Borré. O atacante também está na mira do Toronto FC, da MLS. Contrato com o R…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Borre story doesn’t add up to me, unless a complete general collapse in the traditional player markets in happening. Which is not something I am reading.

Are MLSE, Ali Curtis and Chris Armas, and a Canadian team seriously able to go toe to toe with the Sampdoria, Udinese, Valencia, Espanyol, Benfica type clubs where these players always go? Each of those teams I am guessing would have 10 guys making 4M euros a year or more. This size of deal is not a big deal to them.

The only time younger players with real value and options have ever left a River Plate type team to come to MLS was to play for Atlanta, with a promise that they would be showcased for Europe. It was a pretty mixed bag, in terms of outcome. It worked out for Almiron (only sort of, given how he has done at Newcastle) but didn’t at all for Barco and Pity. Nobody coming behind them will look at that and be overly impressed.

Atlanta had numerous key elements TFC doesn’t;
    - a recent ex Barca manager
    - a recent ex Paraguay national team manager
    - an Argentine manager
    - did I mention they had Tata and not Ali Curtis or Chris Armas?
    - a deep pocketed rich owner (corporate ownership is not an asset in this game)
    - being located in a city and country with a sizeable Hispanic population
    - being located in a city connected to South America, with 10x more direct air service from there than all of Canada would have
    - a more attractive climate

Plus, cmon, who is on the ground in Buenos Aires winning deals like this for TFC? That is the most competitive, complex and maybe corrupt player market in the world. You don’t just show up with a chequebook, like we did in Belgium.

Plus, cmon, Toronto isn’t a market where a River Plate player has caché. We would be bidding against others for whom a River Plate player very much has meaning to their fans. (This was an important factor with Pozo, he didn’t have much marketing value to anybody. Made it easier for us to win.)

I don’t buy it. If TFC are spending serious time on this, I would say they are most likely getting played/used as a stalking horse. Manning is a grown up, maybe they are cool with that, and/or just developing the “we are trying bigly” narrative for the restless natives. Maybe the reward for helping an agent get Borre his deal in Europe is that Borre's agent will make something work for TFC for a different player, one that makes more sense. Maybe another Nacho Piatti circa 2014, that's the end of the pool we should be working.

Just my $0.02
    No idea if the rumour is legit but

1. He has already been to Europe and it didn’t work for him. That makes it very unlikely that’s European club comes back for him.

2. European clubs now only buy teenagers from SA. They have no interest in bringing over a player who is 25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New U-22 rule means we should be able to re-sign Akinola on a very competitive deal and only see a 200k cap hit
    Hope so. Though if he commits to the US internationally, I could see him trying for a big overseas contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Hope so. Though if he commits to the US internationally, I could see him trying for a big overseas contract.
    I don't see the causal relationship here. Him signing an extension with us is more about the club getting a better transfer fee if he does sell. It demonstrates a commitment to his development and a partnership in his growth.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Jozy is here for another year of drama so I am really only counting on having that one DP spot.

What people don't realize is how much Gio made Jozy better and vice versa. It created space, add in a playmaker like Victor and we were ruthless at times.

Get some depth up front and a) we don't have to play Jozy every game or full games b) add Borre, Akinola and hopefully Achara with Poz pulling the strings would be a pretty impressive front line. Add Hoillet and and there is very few out there that could handle that.

And don't forget our secret weapon of Mullinho.

Just my thoughts, let Jozy run out his 2021 contract and do everything to keep him healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One game last year Jozy played on the left of what looked like a 4-1-4-1 and worked his tail off defensively. Everyone seems to have missed that game, or part of the game - forgot what it was but he did what Vanney asked. No drama. In fact it was several times in different games. Maybe his head wasn't in it the whole year but to my eyes he gave hard work to the club that has been ignored when his contributions are being evaluated. if he is fit and there is another forward we will be a handful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    One game last year Jozy played on the left of what looked like a 4-1-4-1 and worked his tail off defensively. Everyone seems to have missed that game, or part of the game - forgot what it was but he did what Vanney asked. No drama. In fact it was several times in different games. Maybe his head wasn't in it the whole year but to my eyes he gave hard work to the club that has been ignored when his contributions are being evaluated. if he is fit and there is another forward we will be a handful.
    To me, that's sort of lessened by the fact his performance was underwater. Show me you'll put in the effort in when you're not in the spotlight for poor play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    You don’t get full years credit for a half months work. If we did then we’d all show up for work once a month just like Jozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don’t get full years credit for a half months work. If we did then we’d all show up for work once a month just like Jozy.
    Even the bench players have to show up at practice every day. Just because they’re not playing for 90 minutes doesn’t mean they’re being lazy. Players are being paid to keep themselves into tip top shape and practice every day. Health problems can get in the way of being in tip top shape.

in short players are being paid to fulfill contractual requirements. That includes showing up to practice every day, resting as required, or even doing public appearances if they are willing to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough crowd. Jozy’s a legend. End of, for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i doubt Borre is the guy he is playing for RP tonight,i think we are going to be in for a real letdown