Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Canadian Championship Final: TFC vs Forge (Date TBD/Time TBD/Tim Hortons Field)

Date: TBD
    Time: TBD

Forge has former TFC players Molham Babouli and Kyle Bekker on their roster
    Last edited by rydermike; 09-19-2020 at 05:05 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Play it in Hartford as soon as realistically possible.

Waiting until Dec or Jan is completely unfair to Forge.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning indicated this week this won't happen until after TFC's season is over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Manning indicated this week this won't happen until after TFC's season is over.
    I know. But I disagree. I think they should play it as soon as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need to play it as soon as possible as it is our only chance to win a trophy in 2020.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... I guess there's less than 0% chance that we will be able to watch this live I was really looking forward to the first time TFC and Forge would meet. Still excited, of course, but would've been sweet to be there in person

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still a bit befuddled how the CSA didn't arrange a Finals date....
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Play it in Hartford as soon as realistically possible.

Waiting until Dec or Jan is completely unfair to Forge.
    Shouldn't Forge be playing CONCACAF League matches between now and then? They shouldn't be too rusty.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Shouldn't Forge be playing CONCACAF League matches between now and then? They shouldn't be too rusty.

Travel restrictions within CONCACAF have postponed competitions through until at least November, likely into 2021. I get the strong suspicion that the 2020 CCL isn't going to finish & the 2021 is going to take place about a year from now & be a larger tourney.

Ah, heck, lets be honest here - can anybody seriously see a vaccine available widely across the region before the summer of 2021?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't watch CPL almost at all but I watched the finals on the weekend. I recorded it and wasn't watching real time and I got fairly bored in the first half and fast forwarded to the end to see who won. Pretty big drop off in level from MLS to CPL if these were the best teams. TFC should be able to take the game fairly easily if they don't take it too lightly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like they're going ahead with the CONCACAF league, so Forge is still going to be playing for (conceivably) the next few months.

In this context, playing the Champ. Final in Dec or Jan is fine.

BC Place, anyone? That would be preferable to the Big O.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like they're going ahead with the CONCACAF league, so Forge is still going to be playing for (conceivably) the next few months.

In this context, playing the Champ. Final in Dec or Jan is fine.

BC Place, anyone? That would be preferable to the Big O.
    Manning says they will push for BMO. Not like they never played a final in Dec at BMO before....

But I guess giving a home advantage to any team is not the fair way to go.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Manning says they will push for BMO. Not like they never played a final in Dec at BMO before....

But I guess giving a home advantage to any team is not the fair way to go.
    If there are no fans what's the point of having it at BMO? Aside from familiarity with the pitch, is there really a home field advantage?

If the CSA had any balls they would do it a neutral ground that isn't -16 degree. Would be best for both teams IMO - although...turf...but other than that I'd go with BC place

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    If there are no fans what's the point of having it at BMO? Aside from familiarity with the pitch, is there really a home field advantage?

If the CSA had any balls they would do it a neutral ground that isn't -16 degree. Would be best for both teams IMO - although...turf...but other than that I'd go with BC place

i take back my comment - for some reason I was thinking Forge was Halifax based - it is not - so flying out to BC makes no sense.

But I still think playing in December/January outdoors is crazy and i still think neutral ground is best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Travel restrictions within CONCACAF have postponed competitions through until at least November, likely into 2021.
    When did that change? Looks like the October games are still on track.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i take back my comment - for some reason I was thinking Forge was Halifax based - it is not - so flying out to BC makes no sense.

But I still think playing in December/January outdoors is crazy and i still think neutral ground is best.
    But the only other option then is Olympic Stadium, right? (Unless they literally play it under a bubble at the training ground). The turf there is way worse than BC Place.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But the only other option then is Olympic Stadium, right? (Unless they literally play it under a bubble at the training ground). The turf there is way worse than BC Place.

Playing at BMO or Timmie's are the cheapest options. We've seen TFC play in ungodly conditions before. So I'm sure that's what'll happen.

It would just be nice to see the players not affected by the weather and playing at their best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing at BMO or Timmie's are the cheapest options. We've seen TFC play in ungodly conditions before. So I'm sure that's what'll happen.

It would just be nice to see the players not affected by the weather and playing at their best.
    Sure, I know we've seen it before – but as you say, it's pretty much always been a bad idea.

I would hope saner heads prevail here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be the best sollution by far and the most cost effective.
    Or to have it on a neutral ground, anywhere close to Toronto and Hamilton, where there is a legal size footy field with good natural pitch, inclosed in some kind of hangar.
    Is there something like that in the whole province of Ontario, except the TFC training bubble?

I mean if there are not allowed spectators anyways, why should it be played in any kind of "traditional" stadium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Or to have it on a neutral ground, anywhere close to Toronto and Hamilton, where there is a legal size footy field with good natural pitch, inclosed in some kind of hangar.
    Is there something like that in the whole province of Ontario, except the TFC training bubble?

I mean if there are not allowed spectators anyways, why should it be played in any kind of "traditional" stadium?
    Depends on if they can fit cameras inside at decent angles. Since it's going to be a purely televised experience, it has to be watchable.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The TFC training bubble is turf. As is Ivor Wynne II.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post

Yes, the Ontario Soccer Centre on Martingrove in Woodbrige is an indoor facility in a permanent structure building. It is regularly used by the Woodbridge Strikers S.C. It is beside the outdoor field where TFC II used to play.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad for the CONCACAF league match to keep Forge playing to keep them match fit.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Glad for the CONCACAF league match to keep Forge playing to keep them match fit.
    And that final goal that moved Forge onto the next phase of the competition was sweet. Now if they can get past Tauro next round they'll start accumulating points to move towards higher seeding. TFC had better not take them lightly as Forge can put together some quality moments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I don't watch CPL almost at all but I watched the finals on the weekend. I recorded it and wasn't watching real time and I got fairly bored in the first half and fast forwarded to the end to see who won. Pretty big drop off in level from MLS to CPL if these were the best teams. TFC should be able to take the game fairly easily if they don't take it too lightly.
    While there is a big drop in level between the leagues (unless you're the Whitecaps) that final was not a good indication of the typical entertainment value. IMO Cavalry vs. Whitecaps and Cavalry vs. The Impact last year was a better view of what the league can be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forge won their round of 16 game last night in CONCACAF League. They're on to the quarter finals and appear to be the favourites. If they win their QF matchup, Forge secure a spot in the Champions League. Would be great to have Forge and TFC in Champions League next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Forge won their round of 16 game last night in CONCACAF League. They're on to the quarter finals and appear to be the favourites. If they win their QF matchup, Forge secure a spot in the Champions League. Would be great to have Forge and TFC in Champions League next year.
    I thought only the winner of the CL got a spot in the CCL ...?

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought only the winner of the CL got a spot in the CCL ...?
    They changed the CL format last year- added more teams, and gave 6 teams (finalists, losing semi finalists, 2best losing QFinalists) berths in the CCL.

Basically, they removed all the Central American leagues automatic berths to CCL and put them through CL. Expanded competition with more teams with a shot at winning the trophy before getting a chance in CCL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They changed it last year and dropped all the the Concacaf countries not named Canada, USA and Mexico to play in the CL first, with the exception of the Caribbean Club Cup Champion (probably because they wouldn't have been able to make the change without their voting block). This opened up a bunch 6 spots to win entry into the CCL. So any team that makes it to the CL semi-finals is guaranteed a spot, followed by the two winners of a playoff between the quarterfinal losing teams.

<edit: ninja'd!>